PDA

View Full Version : Would Bob even consider benching Landry?

wishbonesooner
11/6/2010, 07:49 PM
Just for a change of pace?

KBoomer11
11/6/2010, 07:50 PM
For who?

soonercastor
11/6/2010, 07:51 PM
are you serious?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
11/6/2010, 07:52 PM
my question is whether he would think about benching travis lewis.

Okie35
11/6/2010, 07:53 PM

If anyone on defense needs to be benched its Wort. He'll make 1 good play to every 7.

CBUS_SOONER
11/6/2010, 07:53 PM
I look foward to getting bashed but...We will never win a NC with Landry.

tulsaoilerfan
11/6/2010, 07:55 PM

Nope

85sooners
11/6/2010, 07:56 PM
I look foward to getting bashed but...We will never win a NC with Landry. i agree

bigfatjerk
11/6/2010, 07:57 PM
Landry isn't the problem. I think our coaching staff is too comfortable. They've been around here too long.

wishbonesooner
I don't know, maybe because LJ struggles on the road? Have you seen anything tonight that makes you think he'll shake it off?

StoopTroup

What if the only reason he doesn't win it is because he doesn't like you?

delhalew
11/6/2010, 08:01 PM
All I know is he better calm down and stop with the happy feet. It's getting to the point you know he is gonna pull this **** every time we go on the road.

edit: yeah, pressure... I know. The problem is he does it regardless of pressure.

VA Sooner
11/6/2010, 08:01 PM

Tough to win the Big 12 if you can't settle down, make your progressions and make good throws on the road. He gets the jitters on the road and unhinges.

Middle of defense is swiss cheese but expected with the number of injuries at DT and the substitutions... reminds me of last year's o-line fiasco.

Second half to play and we're still in this one.

thunderlounge
11/6/2010, 08:07 PM
Hate to say it, but he looked horrid at Missouri, and hasn't really been much on the road since getting thrown into the spot at the start of last season.

That first game, the only thing going through my mind was wondering how he could be so ill-prepared. Season and a half later... I see little improvement on the road. He's OK on Owen, but not much anywhere else.

I have to agree, unless some weird soul/brain switching goes on with him, national hopes seem pretty glim while he's taking the snaps.

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 08:09 PM
That last TD wasn't Landry's fault

wishbonesooner
11/6/2010, 08:11 PM
If this was the first time Landry had struggled on the road,it would be different. Give him a series or two on the bench to let him see a different perspective.

htownsooner7
11/6/2010, 09:44 PM
You guys are going to get negged. All the sunshine pumpers will jump on you now despite the fact that he has not been good on the road ever.

Gilligan
11/6/2010, 10:02 PM
Kevin Wilson needs to go some where else.... his offensive play calling needs to bless some other team..... it sucks

TrophyCollector
11/6/2010, 10:31 PM
If anyone on defense needs to be benched its Wort. He'll make 1 good play to every 7.

One thing we know for sure, he won't bench Adrian Taylor - not even if the poor dude has to use a Rascal to get from the sideline to the huddle.

picasso
11/6/2010, 10:33 PM
That last TD wasn't Landry's fault

The steroid duck he threw over Stills was.

Mazeppa
11/6/2010, 11:00 PM
We will never win a NC with Landry.

We mignt not win a big 12 south title with him.

CrimsonRez
11/6/2010, 11:04 PM
Rhett Bomar, Nate Hybl, Landry Jones....You gotta bench one, start one, transfer one...GO!

getrdone
11/6/2010, 11:22 PM
it doesn't matter if kelvin sampson is the qb, if we don't stop trying to run the spread without a qb who can pull the zone and run it don't matter

soonercastor
11/6/2010, 11:23 PM
we shouldda bid for Cam Newton :D

SOONER44EVER
11/6/2010, 11:26 PM
Anyone who thinks Landry is the problem knows less about football than Kevin Wilson.

bigfatjerk
11/6/2010, 11:45 PM
Landry is a sophomore. He'll be fine.

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 11:47 PM
The steroid duck he threw over Stills was.

The ball over his head at the beginning of the game was too.

There were tons of mistakes. You can't win games like that unless you bring your A game for 4 quarters. I think we had our A game out for around 18 minutes.

Collier11
11/6/2010, 11:47 PM
Look at any Soph QB in the nation, show me 1 that is better...GO

Curly Bill
11/6/2010, 11:49 PM
Bob won't consider getting rid of subpar assistant coaches, why would anyone think he might have what it takes to bench the QB?

...seriously!

...and for the record: I'm not in favor of benching the dude...

...now those assistant coaches are another matter. :D

SOONER44EVER
11/6/2010, 11:49 PM

I agree 100%. Landry is one of the strengths of this team.

CarolinaSoonerFan
11/6/2010, 11:56 PM

Stanford's Luck

bigfatjerk
11/6/2010, 11:59 PM
Stanford's Luck

Okay he's better. But I'll still take Landry over just about anyone else. I'll tell you what he's probably a first round pick in a year or two.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:14 AM
Okay he's better. But I'll still take Landry over just about anyone else. I'll tell you what he's probably a first round pick in a year or two.

I like the dude as our QB, but yeah...I ain't seeing this.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 12:17 AM
Stanford's Luck

OK you got me there :D but honestly if you just look at numbers Landrys are close, almost better actually. Id say if you are going to commit to a Soph QB to lead your program that Landry is easily top 3 in the nation

Collier11
11/7/2010, 12:23 AM
Stanford's Luck

Just looked up the #s away from home since you raised my interest

Luck- 6 TDs, 5 Ints 60.9%

Jones- 8 TDs, 4 Ints 64.3%

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:24 AM
...and we must consider that Landry has KW as his OC, he gets bonus points for working with that hurdle in his way. :D

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:28 AM
...and we must consider that Landry has KW as his OC, he gets bonus points for working with that hurdle in his way. :D

HEH!!!!!!:D

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 12:44 AM
wonder if blake bell will get a shot next year or is the job landys no matter what happens?? thoughts?
im just kinda antsy to see what bell could bring to the table. if the job is landys the next 2 years im betting blake dont stay.

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:46 AM
wonder if blake bell will get a shot next year or is the job landys no matter what happens?? thoughts?
im just kinda antsy to see what bell could bring to the table. if the job is landys the next 2 years im betting blake dont stay.

The job will be Landry's even if his right arm falls off. Say what you will about Bob, but one thing he is, is loyal to a fault.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 12:49 AM
god, i dont want to see bell go...something tells me he could be our next heisman winner...just a gut feel.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 12:49 AM
The job will be Landry's even if his right arm falls off. Say what you will about Bob, but one thing he is, is loyal to a fault.

Yes he is.................see Kevin Wilson and Chuck Long.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 12:50 AM
Heres the deal, and Curly youve coached so you know this unless you are just playing the stubborn card tonight :D

Landry is just a soph, the average soph QB doesnt play as well as Landry has. Sure, he needs to work on getting happy feet, being comfortable on the road, going thru all of his reads, but the fact is that his TD to INT ratio is 22-6, his completion % is 67 I believe.

Thats pretty damn good. I agree that Stoops is loyal to a fault but I dont think Landry is a problem. He isnt Sam but in all honesty, Sam is a Top 10 QB of the last 10 years, if not better

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:52 AM
Heres the deal, and Curly youve coached so you know this unless you are just playing the stubborn card tonight :D

Landry is just a soph, the average soph QB doesnt play as well as Landry has. Sure, he needs to work on getting happy feet, being comfortable on the road, going thru all of his reads, but the fact is that his TD to INT ratio is 22-6, his completion % is 67 I believe.

Thats pretty damn good. I agree that Stoops is loyal to a fault but I dont think Landry is a problem. He isnt Sam but in all honesty, Sam is a Top 10 QB of the last 10 years, if not better

I don't think he's the problem either. He wasn't great tonight, or even particularly good, but other than the poor pass to a WAO Stills, and overthrowing Rat soon after, he wasn't given much chance to be successful tonight.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 12:54 AM
and with the way Landry has played this year we could be undefeated, not that he has always been the reason or has always played well cus he hasnt, but he has been atleast sufficient

spatton713
11/7/2010, 12:56 AM
Stanford's Luck

robert griffin III

Curly Bill
11/7/2010, 12:56 AM
Yep, we have much bigger problems than LJ.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 12:58 AM
i know sam was...well sam. and i do think he is the best in the last 10 years, cant think of anyone id choose over him but what are we doing thats so different than say 2 years back?

Collier11
11/7/2010, 12:59 AM
we could block

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 01:04 AM
is that really ALL it is? i know we had a sweet o line and sam...again...was sam. are our offensive coaches not working our linemen in the same manner? these are highly recruited kids we have and we still have converted te s in there. are we not running close to the same offense? we could always run and pass pretty much at will.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 01:15 AM
1: Sam is possibly the Greatest QB in OU history, def if you are considering pure passers

2: We had 2 running backs run for 1000 yards that year, our Oline gave up what, 8 sacks all year

Id say Sam and the Oline are the major differences. Landry is a really good QB but he gets compared to what Sam and Jason did and he just isnt one of those guys. We have been blessed to have great QBs under Stoops and Landry is close.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 01:21 AM
well dammit....we need to just go out and pick up a few more perfect run blockers and pass blockers then,lol.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 01:26 AM
These are just my opinions, I think basically it comes down to those things I listed and overall mental toughness and want to

wishbonesooner
11/7/2010, 01:46 AM
Landry ain't no Sam, we all know that. Kevin Wilson ain't no Mark Mangino either.

SOONER44EVER
11/7/2010, 01:47 AM
Landry ain't no Sam, we all know that. Kevin Wilson ain't no Mark Mangino either.

Are we talking coaching skill or pure weight? Oh well...........nevermind..........Mangino has him beat on both counts.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 01:49 AM
KW is proving too stubborn to be a really good OC. He even said tonight that we should be able to get 6 inches and thats why he kept forcing it on the goalline even though it wasnt working

sooner ngintunr
11/7/2010, 01:53 AM

He had a shot this year.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 01:55 AM
yup

En_Fuego
11/7/2010, 02:21 AM
Kevin Wilson wants 6 inches ? :eek:

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/7/2010, 07:53 AM

Uh, no he isn't.

kelloggOUballa
11/7/2010, 08:24 AM
Uhhhhhh, Andrew Luck is a junior.

cleller
11/7/2010, 08:31 AM
Something has to be going on in Wilson's mind with regards to Landry. Its obvious from his play calling -when things go down the drain- that he has lost confidence in something, and it seems to be Landry.

btb916
11/7/2010, 09:50 AM
KW is proving too stubborn to be a really good OC. He even said tonight that we should be able to get 6 inches and thats why he kept forcing it on the goalline even though it wasnt working

Well by god we should be able to get 6 inches.

If the rest of our team performed well, Landry would not hurt us to the point where we lost games. I think he is a good QB that needs to work very hard at composure when pressured. Then he can take his talents to another level.

I'm disappointed in our o-line and our entire defense. But our o-line is one year removed from being total sh!t and our defense lost some key players and is filled with freshmen. Hopefully they will improve.

I'm also disappointed in our coaching staff's continued inability to get our guys pumped up. See the start of the second half.

JLMSOONER
11/7/2010, 10:22 AM
Well, I have sided with Landry all year so far. He does have good numbers and he isn't a bad QB. Protection would help a lot, but you also have to be prepared for the times the protection breaks down. Landry is a good QB, not great, but good....at this point. Only time will tell if he continues to improve. Right now he isn't the guy that is going to go win you a championship ( or apparently a tough road game). He will ahve some great plays and at least 3 or 4 boneheads per game that make you scratch your head. Dropping the ball deep in OUr territory against tejas is a good example. Scrambling and dropping the ball. Nearly gave the game back. Yeah, the O line broke down, but you don't just drop the ball. The 1st play last night through his hands. Seriously, 1st paly and it just whistles right through your digits? Anyway, he will get better. Will he get good enough to win a tough road game or a championship?? Time will tell. If this shazit happens next year, then I won't be on the fence with him any more.

StanberryWasIn
11/7/2010, 10:31 AM
Uhhhhhh, Andrew Luck is a junior.

He's a redshirt sophomore.

StanberryWasIn
11/7/2010, 10:35 AM
He's a redshirt sophomore.

As is L. Jones.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 10:37 AM

The idiocy of this statement knows no bounds.

We never won a NC with Jason White or Sam Bradford either.

setem
11/7/2010, 10:43 AM
Landry is not the problem and his problems stem from the fact that he has no time to do anything. He gets pressured more then Sam ever did. We have no rushing game because the O-Line can't block a drive way. Kevin Wilson runs the offense like he is playing a video game. He does the same **** over and over and over again.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 11:01 AM
Landry is not the problem and his problems stem from the fact that he has no time to do anything. He gets pressured more then Sam ever did. We have no rushing game because the O-Line can't block a drive way. Kevin Wilson runs the offense like he is playing a video game. He does the same **** over and over and over again.

It reminds me of Rhett Bomar's year at QB. You can't be a world beater QB when you are running for your life.

Landry is a good QB and I can't believe some of the turncoats on this board. Do you not understand football? Did anyone see the pass rush on Landry last night? It was absurd. Our Oline was dominated. We couldn't pass block. We were stuffed on the goal line.

We had field position given to us all night long and aTm's D manhandled the line. You Landry haters are fools. Any QB that get their *** handed too them time and again is going to have that "deer in head lights" look. Bradford has had it. White has had it. Ok, Huepel never had it but he was a freak.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 11:41 AM
He had a shot this year.

uh, no!!!
even if all 3 qbs got some reps the job was landrys coming in this year and we know that...come on.
imgine landry or even sam coming off a high school campus, did they get a shot? dont think so, they might of got a few reps but not a shot to start. question, who was our starting qb when sam was a true freshman??? would that of been the year we had paul as our qb? we also maybe had bomar and nichol who left. true. telling me sam wasnt better than them?
im just saaying give blake a shot in open competition to show what he has, i dont think we would regret it.

thunderlounge
11/7/2010, 11:50 AM
im just saaying give blake a shot in open competition to show what he has, i dont think we would regret it.

Certainly couldn't be any worse, could it?

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 11:51 AM
uh, no!!!
even if all 3 qbs got some reps the job was landrys coming in this year and we know that...come on.
imgine landry or even sam coming off a high school campus, did they get a shot? dont think so, they might of got a few reps but not a shot to start. question, who was our starting qb when sam was a true freshman??? would that of been the year we had paul as our qb? we also maybe had bomar and nichol who left. true. telling me sam wasnt better than them?

Out of HS? Bomar would have gotten the start over Bradford. Bradford wasn't highly recruited. No one knew that he had Heisman potential... That was for Bomar, the superstar, to win.

setem
11/7/2010, 11:58 AM
As stupid as KW is he is right! We should be able to get six inches. The o-line is bunch of pansies.

Check this out. There was a play in the 3rd quarter where we dropped back to pass and the d-line shot through like it was nothing. I told my nephew "looks like a screen" there was no damn screen at all. They just can't block and Landry had to launch one in the upper deck to keep from getting sacked.

mightysooner
11/7/2010, 11:59 AM

We never won one with Bradford either. Food for thought....

If I'm Blake Bell, I'm licking my chops at the opportunity. He will overtake Landry's spot eventually. Mark that down.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 12:01 PM
It was our players letting down after the Hanna drop. Momentum is a bitch on the Road and for those who've never stepped inside Kyle Field and watched the Sooners play there....if they start to play well....it's a really big deal. That 12th Man **** on the wall isn't a myth.

StoopTroup
11/7/2010, 12:09 PM

If I'm Blake Bell, I'm licking my chops at the opportunity. He will overtake Landry's spot eventually. Mark that down.

Blake will have to earn the spot. Funny thing is...folks are upset and many at Landry. You just never know when some guy hits Landry and breaks his collarbone like what happened with Sam and then Allen gets put into the spot and by the Red n White Game....he's stepped up and become the next guy. Or you never know if a kid gets recruited that has the others riding pine. No matter what...I'd hope that any kid who came to OU to play QB is, as you say, Licking his chops. We've been forced to play guys that might have been licking their chops...but weren't ready.

I remember when folks thought Brent Rawls out of Louisianna was gonna be the next superstar and he fell out of a pickup.

Jason White's Third Knee
11/7/2010, 12:17 PM

Mark what down? Am I supposed to look forward to our qb failing? Or can I go ahead and put blame where it belongs?

It's the line. Put Blake Bell in and looks just as nervous as Jones. With the Oline play, Bell is licking his chops at the opportunity to run for his ****ing life.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 12:29 PM
one thing though...bell is very capable of running for his life.

misplacedsooner
11/7/2010, 12:33 PM
also, im not saying im looking forward to seeing landry fail. i dont want to see any of our boys fail. im just under the impression that bell could probably bring an element to the table that landry cant bring and that is to run the ball. the way the line is blocking that element is a good thing.

mightysooner
11/7/2010, 12:37 PM
Mark what down? Am I supposed to look forward to our qb failing? Or can I go ahead and put blame where it belongs?

It's the line. Put Blake Bell in and looks just as nervous as Jones. With the Oline play, Bell is licking his chops at the opportunity to run for his ****ing life.

The line didn't cause Landry to miss a wide open streaking receiver for an easy TD that didn't have anyone near him for 30 yards. Landry can't throw downfield with any semblance of accuracy and he's panicky. That's why we rely on the bubble screens because that's what Landry can handle. Yes, Bell will overtake Landry's spot. It's not about "failing". It's about competition. If Bell can beat out Landry then yes, I look forward to Landry failing. Same with any position.

OklaPony
11/7/2010, 12:40 PM
It was our players letting down after the Hanna drop. Momentum is a bitch on the Road and for those who've never stepped inside Kyle Field and watched the Sooners play there....if they start to play well....it's a really big deal. That 12th Man **** on the wall isn't a myth.
^^This^^ in spades. That dropped ball was absolutlely brutal for us.

tulsaoilerfan
11/7/2010, 12:46 PM

Funny the 12th man sure didn't help when Mizzou handed their *** to them earlier this year

TXBOOMER
11/7/2010, 12:56 PM

I would take my chances with Corey Nelson right now.

Collier11
11/7/2010, 01:30 PM
Well by god we should be able to get 6 inches.

Of course we should but when its obvious that we cant, over and over again, time to try something diff for the sake of winning dont ya think?

Piware
11/7/2010, 02:25 PM
I do not for one minute doubt Landry's athletic ability and give him full credit for his efforts when Sam went down. It was probably a surreal experience.

I am concerned about his mental toughness. It seems Josh can't settle him down and he gets that glazed eye look far too often. Some things can't be coached and I fear this is one of them.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 02:37 PM
Double post. Look Below.

agoo758
11/7/2010, 02:38 PM

Did Collier just admit that KW might have done something wrong??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I on LSD????:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Edit: I think I pulled up the wrong quote, disregard this please.

boomermagic
11/7/2010, 02:40 PM
Just for a change of pace?

HELL NO AND HE SHOULDN'T !!!

Collier11
11/7/2010, 03:39 PM
Did Collier just admit that KW might have done something wrong??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Am I on LSD????:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Edit: I think I pulled up the wrong quote, disregard this please.

you can go back thru history my friend, I have been more than willing to say that BV and KW make mistakes, you mistake my defending them as our coordinators at times for saying they are perfect. I think overall they have both done a pretty damn good job, they have both had screw ups along the way though