PDA

View Full Version : Stadium music VS. Band

Collier11
11/5/2010, 02:54 PM
I know some of you are old fashioned and prefer the band but I dont know how anyone could argue that stadium music doesnt make the environment alot more fun. Im sorry but the band just doesnt pump me up the same way...what say you?

0J_P7o10EBk

beYeHQ1_NWM

l1rJ1iWyA_c&feature=related

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 02:56 PM
I say that the sound at a major college football stadium should be provided by the band, the announcer, and the fans. Alabama already had a great pre-kickoff tradition, and the frigging sound system ruins it by playing music while people are yelling.

If I wanted to hear crappy Metallica, I'd legally purchase a copy of anything they've done after Puppets then shoot myself.

C&CDean
11/5/2010, 02:59 PM
I say the Pride needs to ****can all the woodwinds and make them kids play brass. Then, recruit a bunch of students to join so we can have that "wall-to-wall" horse**** and blow everybody's socks off. They do this, then I'll go with "let the band play." Otherwise, tell the band to STFU and play the PA system cause I can't hear the Pride anyhow.

OU Engineer
11/5/2010, 03:00 PM
I think music is better, but only at the right times.

And collier dont forget this video, even more evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm0TC6FlV5U

sorry I still dont know how to embed videos...

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:02 PM
I gotcha

rm0TC6FlV5U

oumartin
11/5/2010, 03:03 PM
what they need is some kick butt stadium music that gets the crowd to a fever pitch then get a real band(not the current PRIDE) to blast Boomer Sooner as the players come onto the field. Oh, and lose the cheesy inflatable the run out from. that may be the dummest looking thing in college football

oh, and all home games should be played under the lights. Just seems like here is more energy then.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:05 PM
See I think that might work actually, why not use the music to get the crowd crazy and then let the band kick off Boomer Sooner or something like that

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 03:06 PM
I like them both, I just wish the band didn't play after every play. When I was in Columbia, the band played litterly every down in the 4th. I know they just wanted to pump up the crowd, but we're down two scores, and Mizzou gets a 1st down. No need to play Boomer Sooner after that. Just sayin'.

badger
11/5/2010, 03:07 PM
Yo, we already do something like what Va Tech does - we yell Boomer at the guys yelling Sooner and then the sound system plays the "Hey Song" and we do the beat the hell outta you and you and youandyouandyou thing.. and then they do the intro video and then they do the jump around and then we win 35 times in a row.

I am 100 percent biased, but of course, but the brass instruments carry every song, the drums carry every noise-make-thing on defense while the woodwinds dance and the color guard sleeps. Then, the brass instruments (and usually drums too) are conned out of their free time for weird pep bands (no joke - once played 'Boomer Sooner' at a funeral in Norman as the family and friends clapped along in the church) and listen to the woodwinds and color guard whine about how they never get to go on all the away game trips that the stupid brass and drums always get to.

I hope I don't sound bitter because I'm not. I'm just tellin' it how it was... from a very biased point of view :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 03:07 PM
and get rid of the 75000 ****ty fans that attend games to sit on their hands and act like they are at a movie, not a football game

OU Engineer
11/5/2010, 03:09 PM
and get rid of the 75000 ****ty fans that attend game to sit on their hands and act like they are at a movie, not a football game

THIS^^^

KantoSooner
11/5/2010, 03:20 PM
Further to that STEP: I have been running a little experiment this season. I have several friends who attend the games; while I generally don't (my grandfather, who I've mentioned several times on this board, is 98 and about the only thing left in life that doesn't hurt or somehow not work right for him is watching OU football. He and I have watched games together for almost 50 years and I'm not leaving him alone for one this season. Plus he still enjoys making and drinking martinis; and that is a plus.) Anyway, I call the people I know will be at the game on their cell phones. During the game. Here are the results:

1. They mostly answer.
2. I can hear them perfectly and they can hear me.

THIS IS SO WRONG THAT I WON'T GO INTO EXPLAINING WHY ITS WRONG. OUR STADIUM IS WAY, WAY TOO QUIET.

Whether it's a band or music out of speakers, the sound level needs to be very, very loud. Loud so that young children get scared and cry. Loud so that you feel it in your diaphram. Loud so that you turn to the person next to you, speak and they smile, shake their head and make the 'I can't hear you' sign.

I am concerned that our fans either don't love the Sooners enough...or don't hate the opponent enough. Maybe both.

badger
11/5/2010, 03:23 PM
There are definitely more loud games than others. The Mizzou game a few years back I was yelling at the field while covering my ears it was so d@mn loud in the second half. Josh Heupel was running up and down the sidelines while we were on defense trying to get the crowd hyped up like was a student again :D

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:30 PM
the problem is that the Tech game in 08 is the exception, our fans arent that great consistently

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 03:33 PM
OU fans are typically loud during the 1st series and then maybe at different spots at the game...

You can typically hear the crowd say in unison after 4 minutes into the 1st quarter "THANK GOD! We can sit down now."

cdlbdd
11/5/2010, 03:55 PM
I think the difference in atmosphere between Wisconsin/Auburn and here is attributable more to the willingness of the fans to go crazy than to what type of music is being played. I also think that the "get excited for the pride at pregame, chill out and listen to the starting lineups, get pumped for the video, wait for the team to enter, go crazy with fireworks as the team comes on the field, wait a little bit before yelling boomer sooner, then get pumped for the hey song" routine has something to do with it as well. No real flow to the pre-game experience IMO.

85sooners
11/5/2010, 04:02 PM
2000 nebraska game hands down was loudest in recent memory

soonersweetie
11/5/2010, 04:29 PM
2000 nebraska game hands down was loudest in recent memory

Agreed

Scott D
11/5/2010, 04:30 PM
collier is just pushing this because he's the president of the Gary Glitter fanclub ;)

Collier11
11/5/2010, 05:49 PM
mmm, tingly

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 05:53 PM
I think it's fun to just sit and watch the guys play and wave a pom pom in the air at halftime.

sooner59
11/5/2010, 06:05 PM
We can't be too loud or Kevin Wilson can't think properly. :D

BigTip
11/5/2010, 06:15 PM
Much as I enjoy a raucous stadium, I'm okay with the sound level at home games, as long as the streak continues that is.

We must be doing something right, so let's not f... with it.

Wisconsin can keep jumping around their 8-5 records for as long as they would like!

soonerboomer93
11/5/2010, 06:52 PM
I gotcha

rm0TC6FlV5U

so you're saying we should copy 'bama aggie?

I prefer the band, problem is that their volume sucks. Couldn't hear them in the south endzone last game. I'm sure the west side can't hear them, so basically, they're playing for the donors on the east side.

Frankly, I'm kind of tired of watching the college games become more and more nfl like in atmosphere.

soonerboomer93
11/5/2010, 07:16 PM
wWCXzyLp0Ds

Auburns Intro video. Nice editing/cuts to the music, errr.

Personally, Spencer Tillman, and the No More video from the CU game is so far beyond this it's not funny.

But heck, I guess for programs that lack the tradition and history of ours, maybe cheap music tricks is the best way to pump a crowd up.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 07:42 PM
Frankly, I'm kind of tired of watching the college games become more and more nfl like in atmosphere.

They also have many of us hostage with the way they handle ticket sales. Donate and you might get consideration and donate once and it'll be expected to keep your seats. I'm lucky in that years ago I got the seats I have and have always paid even when times don't warrant it. Since Bob came to Norman we've seen increased value but also increased costs. Until "Fan Day" this year I felt like it was completely about money and that being a loyal fan had no value. You did it to keep your seats. If you didn't you ended up jockeying/buying seats or each year paying for ****ty seats the ticket office sticks you with.

Anyway...many of us have put up with it all because we're loyal fans and win or lose...we'll be there in those seats until I can no longer physically make it to my seats.

NFL....they lost that from fans years ago.

The way oSu is handling ticket sales....they'll be lucky to have anyone going to games if they don't continue to win...and after a time...if they don't beat OU even that will die off. They are worse than the NFL.

soonerboomer93
11/5/2010, 08:03 PM
They also have many of us hostage with the way they handle ticket sales. Donate and you might get consideration and donate once and it'll be expected to keep your seats. I'm lucky in that years ago I got the seats I have and have always paid even when times don't warrant it. Since Bob came to Norman we've seen increased value but also increased costs. Until "Fan Day" this year I felt like it was completely about money and that being a loyal fan had no value. You did it to keep your seats. If you didn't you ended up jockeying/buying seats or each year paying for ****ty seats the ticket office sticks you with.

Anyway...many of us have put up with it all because we're loyal fans and win or lose...we'll be there in those seats until I can no longer physically make it to my seats.

NFL....they lost that from fans years ago.

The last NFL game I went to was in Seattle in 2008. It just all felt empty. The game is completely different anyways, but I didn't sense the excitement, it all just seemed so corporate to me. It wasn't fan driven, it was all driven by the NFL. Felt scripted to me.

Honestly, at the last game, I think I came to realize that I'm not sure how much I like the new ribbon boards, or the new jumbotron at our stadium. They look nice and all, but they're constantly changing and almost a distraction. Then I'm sitting there watching the game, and look over, 1/2 of the CU fans aren't actually watching the field, they're watching the game on the jumbotron.

Lets be honest too, Rock music isn't going to work at OU anyways. I don't think it's because we have 75,000 fuddy duddy's in the stands. We have 75,000 people with heightened expectations. We have 75k people there who frankly, except OU to win, except to beat random opponent by 21 point week in, week out.

Case in point is jump around. They played that more then once during that game. Only once did the crowd go for it, and the crowd didn't exactly go for the song, the crowd was already so far into that moment, of that game in those conditions, it worked. We were taking a top 5 oppenent to the woodshed, in our house, in the biggest game of the week. We were jumping for joy before they hit play. Frankly, that's the kind of game OU fans get up for.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 08:18 PM
So stadium music to get the fans pumped up makes you feel like it isnt fan friendly

oudavid1
11/5/2010, 08:51 PM
DHoYnyR-bvg

Call me when someone else gets on OUr level.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 08:59 PM
The last NFL game I went to was in Seattle in 2008. It just all felt empty. The game is completely different anyways, but I didn't sense the excitement, it all just seemed so corporate to me. It wasn't fan driven, it was all driven by the NFL. Felt scripted to me.

Honestly, at the last game, I think I came to realize that I'm not sure how much I like the new ribbon boards, or the new jumbotron at our stadium. They look nice and all, but they're constantly changing and almost a distraction. Then I'm sitting there watching the game, and look over, 1/2 of the CU fans aren't actually watching the field, they're watching the game on the jumbotron.

Lets be honest too, Rock music isn't going to work at OU anyways. I don't think it's because we have 75,000 fuddy duddy's in the stands. We have 75,000 people with heightened expectations. We have 75k people there who frankly, except OU to win, except to beat random opponent by 21 point week in, week out.

Case in point is jump around. They played that more then once during that game. Only once did the crowd go for it, and the crowd didn't exactly go for the song, the crowd was already so far into that moment, of that game in those conditions, it worked. We were taking a top 5 oppenent to the woodshed, in our house, in the biggest game of the week. We were jumping for joy before they hit play. Frankly, that's the kind of game OU fans get up for.

John Blake's Reverse Wave....also a bad idea.

King Barry's Back
11/5/2010, 09:07 PM
I like them both, I just wish the band didn't play after every play. When I was in Columbia, the band played litterly every down in the 4th. I know they just wanted to pump up the crowd, but we're down two scores, and Mizzou gets a 1st down. No need to play Boomer Sooner after that. Just sayin'.

That tradition goes back at least to OSU 1983.

You might remember that was the game after Marcus Dupree left the team, there were all kinds of distractions, and we were down big in the fourth.

We came back to win following a recovered onsides kick.

The Pride played non-stop through the fourth quarter and won a game ball from Barry Switzer.

I guess they did stuff like that before 1983, but it seems that the game ball really made it a standing practice to keep playing when the team is behind late in the game.

I don't really care if the fans like/don't like that. If the players/coaches want it, do it. if they don't, then stop.

oumartin
11/5/2010, 09:32 PM
Stoops doesn't even care for Boomer Sooner.

sooner59
11/5/2010, 09:52 PM
Mack Brown doesn't care for 4-4. :D

setem
11/5/2010, 10:09 PM
I really liked when they were playing Right Here, Right Now by Fatboy Slim the punters, kickers and captains came out at halftime.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 10:11 PM
you shaved your beard

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 10:29 PM
Clams Shave?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 10:30 PM
mmmm...crab salad

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 10:53 PM
The last NFL game I went to was in Seattle in 2008. It just all felt empty.

It might have been because we were watching the Chickens play the 49ers and the QBs weren't even Hasselback or Smith. That game was dreadful.

Also, **** Ed Hochule just for giving you the chance to rub a Denver win over SD in my face that day. I swear to God that I didn't even know about that when I said "Cheating Broncos" to you.

OUmillenium
11/5/2010, 11:02 PM
Further to that STEP: I have been running a little experiment this season. I have several friends who attend the games; while I generally don't (my grandfather, who I've mentioned several times on this board, is 98 and about the only thing left in life that doesn't hurt or somehow not work right for him is watching OU football. He and I have watched games together for almost 50 years and I'm not leaving him alone for one this season. Plus he still enjoys making and drinking martinis; and that is a plus.) Anyway, I call the people I know will be at the game on their cell phones. During the game. Here are the results:

1. They mostly answer.
2. I can hear them perfectly and they can hear me.

THIS IS SO WRONG THAT I WON'T GO INTO EXPLAINING WHY ITS WRONG. OUR STADIUM IS WAY, WAY TOO QUIET.

Whether it's a band or music out of speakers, the sound level needs to be very, very loud. Loud so that young children get scared and cry. Loud so that you feel it in your diaphram. Loud so that you turn to the person next to you, speak and they smile, shake their head and make the 'I can't hear you' sign.

I am concerned that our fans either don't love the Sooners enough...or don't hate the opponent enough. Maybe both.

I like the way you think

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 11:58 PM
I'm ok with bowling in the South EZ.

setem
11/6/2010, 12:10 AM
you shaved your beard

Yeah I did! I shaved my sideburns off too for no reason. I was gonna come to the game as kenny powers but my nephew decided he didnt want to wear a costume so I didnt want to be look like a food. FAIL!

StoopTroup
11/6/2010, 12:22 AM
did you do it or did you hire it out?

http://fotosa.ru/stock_photo/Photoshot/p_1914939.jpg

soonerboomer93
11/6/2010, 12:57 AM
So stadium music to get the fans pumped up makes you feel like it isnt fan friendly

It's the same crap stadium music you hear at professional sporting events and have been for years. So yes, I'd rather they not genericize our games and find ways to improve the Pride. (Music selection and volume to start).

Bands are one of the great parts of college that keeps it from becoming generic.

Collier11
11/6/2010, 01:00 AM
The problem is, the band plays like 3 songs and plays Boomer Sooner SO MUCH that you literally start to hate it. I wouldnt mind a nice blend, it just seems that anything that can be done to suck the life out of the stadium is typically done, and our fans are fairly boring as it is

soonerboomer93
11/6/2010, 01:18 AM
The problem is, the band plays like 3 songs and plays Boomer Sooner SO MUCH that you literally start to hate it. I wouldnt mind a nice blend, it just seems that anything that can be done to suck the life out of the stadium is typically done, and our fans are fairly boring as it is

Our fans are boring because they're complacent.

I agree, the pride needs more variety. It also needs more volume.

Collier11
11/6/2010, 01:19 AM
if music is gonna be played on the speakers or by the band, it needs to be played loudly...I agree completely

sooner59
11/6/2010, 02:29 AM
http://www.divaglitter.com/graphic/cat/funny-comments/funny_29.gif

MichiganSooner
11/6/2010, 11:42 AM
Have you guys ever stood directly in front of the Pride? Believe me, they are very loud. Yes, I would like them louder in the stadium. I understand what you are saying about more volume. The stadium gets 86,000 people now. Just a few years ago, it was 74,000. And before that, Blake was the coach of the team and the Pride was really, really loud back then. Really? I doubt it; now they are drowned out by more fans and more excited fans.
I have been in Michigan Stadium and Ohio Stadium. Over 105,000 people in both places. Their bands have about 225 members to the Pride's 300. Guess who's band is louder? The Pride and it isn't even close. I guess my point is, if you want to hear the Pride then get quiet while they play. But that is not the answer, of course.