PDA

View Full Version : OU needs to take risk with blitz against Texas A&M

jagvocate
11/5/2010, 02:15 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101105_92_B6_CUTLIN532862

This is what makes College football so fun.

How does Tannehill handle blitzes from a complex defensive scheme lik OU's? No one knows!

High risk, high reward. But you can't argue with blitzing a QB starting his second game (as a QB)

Okie35
11/5/2010, 02:16 PM
Pick 6!

The article said there were no blitzes thrown at Gabbert. I'm pretty sure I saw Tony Jefferson and Corey Nelson blitzing against Mizzery.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/5/2010, 02:26 PM
Pick 6!

The article said there were no blitzes thrown at Gabbert. I'm pretty sure I saw Tony Jefferson and Corey Nelson blitzing against Mizzery.

Yeah, but they were few and far between. We didn't send much pressure Gabbert's way at all. We keep trying to get to him with four guys. And two of OUr guys up front had two good legs between them. This is going to be OUr biggest problem from here on out IMO. Until we get better up front we will continue to take the risk of getting torched over the middle and in the secondary.

:gary:

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, but they were few and far between. We didn't send much pressure Gabbert's way at all. We keep trying to get to him with four guys. And two of OUr guys up front had two good legs between them. This is going to be OUr biggest problem from here on out IMO. Until we get better up front we will continue to take the risk of getting torched over the middle and in the secondary.

:gary:

Yeah, we just need to get better pressure from the d-line without blitzing.

gaylordfan1
11/5/2010, 02:40 PM
Pick 6!

I don't recall any blitz packages. C. Nelson play the position previously occupied by R. Lewis... basically he stayed at the line of scrimmage and kept an eye on Gabbert, and would pursue if he looked like he was going to run.

goingoneight
11/5/2010, 03:22 PM
The team is missing healthy Taylor and GK badly. Now, the double teams are on Beal and even Big Frank is hobbling a little.

DL is beaten up about like last year's OL was.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 03:26 PM
Atm has some youngsters on their oline...problem is we have nothing to punish them with inside...

Okie35
11/5/2010, 03:30 PM
I don't recall any blitz packages. C. Nelson play the position previously occupied by R. Lewis... basically he stayed at the line of scrimmage and kept an eye on Gabbert, and would pursue if he looked like he was going to run.

Jefferson blitzed twice (Nelson once) and both got blocked by their running back. Gabbert stayed in the pocket.

Okie35
11/5/2010, 03:31 PM
Atm has some youngsters on their oline...problem is we have nothing to punish them with inside...

I think it won't matter this game if we're going to blitz like crazy.

tator
11/5/2010, 03:32 PM
Jefferson blitzed twice (Nelson once) and both got blocked by their running back. Gabbert stayed in the pocket.
this, we blitzed a few times but when it did look like it was going to work, they picked it up in the backfield.

oumartin
11/5/2010, 03:53 PM
paging OUdavid. can we get some input from an aspiring coach here please.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/5/2010, 03:57 PM

http://rix0r.nl/imagemacros/lmao-real.jpg

Okie35
11/5/2010, 04:10 PM

:D :D hahaha

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2010, 06:18 PM
When we attempted blitzes against Missouri we were failing and just losing in coverage so Venables laid off the blitzing. When the blitz is hurting you every time you try it there's no reason to keep doing it.

soonercastor
11/5/2010, 06:34 PM
MIDDLE

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 07:46 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I would rather not take advice on defensive strategy from John Hoover of the Tulsa World. Like WTF does he know?

gaylordfan1
11/5/2010, 10:08 PM
We will blitz tomorrow. I'm guessing A&M will try to do what Mizzou did successfully against us... except Coach V will have a answer for it now.

OUmillenium
11/5/2010, 11:18 PM
So why was Nebbishes relentless blitzing so effective?

Okie35
11/5/2010, 11:44 PM

They made it less obvious, plus Mizzery really did their HW against us.

gaylordfan1
11/6/2010, 12:45 AM

WE were Mizou's Texas.... Meaning they held most of their playbook/looks for us.... just like we do for Texas every year. The thing is that if you give the Pelini's a week to prepare then things can go south in a hurry unless your bring more new looks to the table. Still to this day, I have no idea how Texas pulled out the victory over Neb. Crazy.... Welcome to college football.

ThinMan
11/6/2010, 08:08 AM
We didn't blitz Missouri as much because we didn't stop the run. Nebraska stopped the run and got Missouri in long 3rd downs --- thus they can blitz. Against us, Missouri got good yardage on 1st and 2nd down so blitzing was more of a risk in our game.

Everything begins with stopping the run. When we do that, we shut people down.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/6/2010, 10:05 AM
We didn't blitz Missouri as much because we didn't stop the run. Nebraska stopped the run and got Missouri in long 3rd downs --- thus they can blitz. Against us, Missouri got good yardage on 1st and 2nd down so blitzing was more of a risk in our game.

Everything begins with stopping the run. When we do that, we shut people down.

Bingo! We have a winner!