PDA

View Full Version : For those who think......

madillsoonerfan5353
11/5/2010, 12:07 PM
.....Mr. Broyles is coming back fo show not so fast my friend!

:pop:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Ryan Broyles is not unlike other achievers who are driven by an inexplicable inner spring that never seems to need rewinding.

"Just wanting to be the best," he said. "I compete against other receivers [in practice]. I compete against other guys in the nation.

"Every time I got out there on the field on game day, I want to do something special."

Something special comes like clockwork for Oklahoma's relatively pint-sized slotback, who, by the way, can bench-press 310 pounds. In last week's 43-10 victory over Colorado, Broyles continued his relentless assault on the OU record book.

He caught nine passes (leading FBS receivers with an average of 9.5 receptions per game) for three touchdowns and a school-record 208 yards, his seventh 100-yard-plus performance in eight games this season. An eighth would tie him with former Sooners star Mark Clayton, whose school-record 31 career touchdown catches are only three ahead of Broyles'.

Clayton (2001-04) is the standard by which OU receivers are measured, and Broyles has carried that burden since he began emerging early in his three-year career with the Sooners.

"You know, people have compared me to Mark Clayton from the beginning," Broyles said after the Colorado game. "I feel like that's what I had to do, fill his shoes.

"I have a whole year left, and I'm just going to make the best of it."

Under his breath, Broyles mentioned "if I decide to take it" -- but that's another discussion.
At his current pace, Broyles will overtake Clayton's single-season yardage mark of 1,425; he has 1,018. Broyles is eight catches from Clayton's 221 career receptions and 416 behind his career yardage total of 3,241.

Those things are nice, coach Bob Stoops acknowledged, but it's Broyles' constant drive that sets him apart.

"What I love most about Ryan is how competitive he is," Stoops said. "Which means when he walks onto the field, he's playing -- and playing hard. And he has a knack for making plays. He's intense and competitive for a guy in that position.

"I always thought that Mark Clayton was pretty special, and Ryan is right there with him. In my eyes, they're very similar guys."

To the critical eye of receivers coach Jay Norvell, who helped design the passing attack of the 2002 Super Bowl runner-up Oakland Raiders and coached former Colts receiver Marvin Harrison, Broyles has a distinguishing sixth sense.

"He's had to learn scheme and he's had to learn fundamentals," Norvell explained. "But he's got a gift of understanding space and understanding feel.

"And as soon as he walks onto the field, he just does it. That's what makes him special."

Asked earlier in the season why he consistently gets open, Broyles explained in typical straightforward fashion: "I run fast."

He does that. But of course, there's much more to the equation. And Broyles knows it.

"I've watched a little bit [of tape on Clayton]," Broyles said. "And when he came [to Norman] this summer, I talked to him.

"Football-wise, he has a great release coming off the ball. That's the one thing I've really noticed. That's where you have to eat the [defensive back's] cushion. He consistently did it, and that's what I really looked up to. I've worked on that."

Quarterback Landry Jones has a simple explanation as to why Broyles is his favorite receiver.

"It just seems Ryan gets open a lot," Jones said.

Obviously, the two have that kind of unspoken communication that quarterbacks and receivers develop over long winter and summer hours, although Broyles' unspoken word might have a familiar inflection.

"He gives me a look sometimes when I don't go to him," Jones said with a laugh.

"I think Ryan thinks I'm going to him on every play," Jones said. "But he's a great player, and all great players want the ball."

www.soonersports.com

Mike Jones, 817-390-7760

Looking for comments?

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/04/2606271/broyles-had-role-model-as-ous.html#ixzz14QdFUuzc

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 12:10 PM
Basically the same quote that led people to believe he was staying. The other guy just didn't hear 'if I decide to take it' afterwords.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 12:14 PM
Well, we have seen both the pros and cons of why players should come back.

Pros for Broyles:
He will be one of the first receivers taken.
He has great hands.
He has great athletism.

Cons for Broyles:
He is pretty short for a WR in the NFL.
The NFL will likely suffer from a lockout.
He doesn't always run great routes.

To me, it doesnt really matter if he stays or goes. I would love to see him in 2011 at OU, but if he decides to leave, then I wish him luck. And as always, one extra year in college will only benefit him in the long run. But he has to do whatever he feels is the right thing to do.

We do have some great talent behind him, so I am not really worried about him either way.

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 12:22 PM
Speaking of great talent behind him, I really liked the way Trey Franks was playing last week. Had a couple of nice receptions.

85sooners
11/5/2010, 12:29 PM
:texan:

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:04 PM
Ryan has the right to find out what he's worth. Guy is smart. I wish him well no matter what he decides to do. We definitely have seem some great football from him.

oudavid1
11/5/2010, 01:20 PM
I never thought he was for sure, its really up to him and i hope he does whats best for him.

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2010, 01:26 PM
The other factors for players are their personal ones where most of us have no insight. A few players use all their eligibility just because they know college football is a great experience and unique from the all business NFL. Other players feel the pull of unfinished business if they feel they can come back and help a team win a title. I remember a couple of players on the '02 tOSU team that said that and a few way back on the '86 PSU team. AD openly wrestled with coming in '07 for another crack at the Heisman (and if he only knew how good Sam was going to be...). These factors take a backseat once most players start thinking about the risks, but not always.

yermom
11/5/2010, 01:36 PM
on a bit of a tangent, if Clayton can come and talk to players, why can't Uwe? :D

stoopified
11/5/2010, 04:05 PM
Ryan has the right to find out what he's worth. Guy is smart. I wish him well no matter what he decides to do. We definitely have seem some great football from him.Ditto

MyT Oklahoma
11/5/2010, 07:14 PM
I will wish Ryan the best no matter what he should decide. It's been fun watching him.