PDA

View Full Version : Iowa, Notre Dame, Boise, BYU, Arkie?

OUthunder
11/4/2010, 09:17 PM
I know that keeping the Big XII together long term is probably out of the cards, but if it were, do you think that we could get Iowa to come join us? I mean, they play in a conference where they are pretty much irrelevant, would be paired with rival ISU in the North, however, probably doesn't bring a big name TV market to the league.

Arkansas is basically the same, plus could renew old ties to the SWC teams and OU. Again, probably not a big market grab.

Boise basically has no stadium, tradition, or academic merits worth being invited. However, they could possibly bring west coast markets to the league. Plus they would instantly be relevant being in a BCS conference.

BYU, has some tradition, has a huge Mormon following, has good academics, but are lacking in facilities. Definite west coast audience?

Notre Dame would be huge, however, they would have to either have to join us entirely or have a set up like they do know, which seams ludicrous, except for the NBC cash that they get for sucking every Saturday.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 09:23 PM
lol why the heck would Iowa leave the Big Ten? And ND won't join a conference either, they declined the Big Ten, so they're not going to come to the Big XII IMO. The other ones are viable possibilities, Arkie would be a great addition. Boise idk, what do they bring to the table? 2007 Fiesta? :D

I would definitely wanna see two teams added.

yermom
11/4/2010, 09:24 PM
i doubt anyone is leaving the SEC or the new Big10/12

Boise is going to the MWC, which will likely be a BCS conference soon anyway

i can see BYU, but i'm not sure who comes with them. it seems like we would need a year or two without divisions before adding more teams and realigning divisions, like adding BYU and maybe TCU and making OSU a North team or something

royalfan5
11/4/2010, 09:26 PM
Why would Iowa leave their actual rivals like Minnesota, and Wisconsin to join their little brothers league? Plus, NU/Iowa will get a lot more heated in a hurry than Iowa/ISU ever was.

bent rider
11/4/2010, 09:34 PM
Would Arkansas want to leave the SEC? Would any football program want to leave the SEC?

BYU is going independent. After a few years of hosting random WAC teams and playing 2-for-1's with ND and being stuck with leftovers for bowl games, they may soften. Its a LONNGGG way from Austin to Provo. The nearest Big-12 team is 1000 miles away. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Colorado was a big loss to the Big-12 as the Denver market was much bigger than anything else near the Big-12 footprint. Picking up Air Force Academy might be good to recapture a bit of that, however, and the Mountain West is already in a state of flux, so maybe they would talk. The In fact, AFA might be packaged with Navy. This would give the Big-12 some East Coast exposure and the nationwide following of the service academies. Long way to Annapolis, too, but the market exposure there is a lot higher than what you'd gain from central Utah.

New Mexico might be an interesting addition if the Big-12 wants to pick up an entirely new market.

Memphis is another one near the Big-12 footprint.

royalfan5
11/4/2010, 09:37 PM
Would Arkansas want to leave the SEC? Would any football program want to leave the SEC?

BYU is going independent. After a few years of hosting random WAC teams and playing 2-for-1's with ND and being stuck with leftovers for bowl games, they may soften. Its a LONNGGG way from Austin to Provo. The nearest Big-12 team is 1000 miles away. Not worth it, in my opinion.

Colorado was a big loss to the Big-12 as the Denver market was much bigger than anything else near the Big-12 footprint. Picking up Air Force Academy might be good to recapture a bit of that, however, and the Mountain West is already in a state of flux, so maybe they would talk. The In fact, AFA might be packaged with Navy. This would give the Big-12 some East Coast exposure and the nationwide following of the service academies. Long way to Annapolis, too, but the market exposure there is a lot higher than what you'd gain from central Utah.

New Mexico might be an interesting addition if the Big-12 wants to pick up an entirely new market.

I don't think the service academies, especially Army and Navy want anything to do with being in a BCS league. It doesn't really jive with their mission. Army and Navy schedule the way they do for a reason.

85sooners
11/4/2010, 09:40 PM
:gary:

silverwheels
11/4/2010, 10:08 PM
i doubt anyone is leaving the SEC or the new Big10/12

Boise is going to the MWC, which will likely be a BCS conference soon anyway

i can see BYU, but i'm not sure who comes with them. it seems like we would need a year or two without divisions before adding more teams and realigning divisions, like adding BYU and maybe TCU and making OSU a North team or something

MWC's chances of getting a BCS auto-bid went out the window when BYU and Utah left. Looks like TCU could be heading to the Big East, too.

slh1234
11/4/2010, 10:56 PM
The funny thing is ... when we say "Big 10" or "Big 12", who are we talking about now?

JayhawkScott
11/4/2010, 11:13 PM

I don't think the Big XII, if it expands back to 12, should let geography get in the way of expansion. Heck, OU and Texas were willing to play in a Pac 10 that would take them all the way to Seattle for conference games. As far as I'm concerned any team to the east coast to the west coast should be in play to get back to 12. I'd rather the conference look to the East so that when any of the current Big XII teams travel you'd be gaining an hour on your flight back. Would any of the Florida schools jump to the Big XII? I know Florida wouldn't but what about FSU/ Miami/ or South Florida?

MeMyself&Me
11/4/2010, 11:49 PM
Remember than when you add teams, you're dividing the pie more ways than ten so the new addition(s) need to bring in dough of their own. They can't just be a good football team.

Arky would be stupid to move to the Big 12 but I wouldn't put it past them to do so if offered. But they really don't add any new market of considerable value. We'd be depending on a national audience for Arky games within the Big 12 and I'm not sure there's enough of a national interest there to justify an invite.

BYU I think would take up the opportunity if offered and they would strengthen the Big 12 but I don't know that the Big 12 wants to deal with their Sunday restrictions. I have wondered if them going indy might be planned positioning for an easy invite to the Big 12.

I don't know that AFA really adds that much to the Big 12. Wouldn't be bad but I don't know that it's good either. Would have to come with another team to make the 12 needed for a champ game AND that other team would have to be a good one financially.

The other service academies will not join a conference.

New Mexico schools will not add any new market of any significance so that would be a net loss to the Big 12. Would be a bad invite. Won't happen.

No one wants to watch Big 12 teams beat up on Memphis. Would just be another mouth to feed. Not a good idea.

Boise State doesn't have the stadium size or facilities to meat Big 12 standards and after facing better competition than the WAC week in and week out and losing more games then their used too, they won't be that attractive of a game to watch either after a year or too. Very short shelf life and not a good fit.

There is absolutely no reason for Iowa to leave the Big 10. The Big 10 is the perfect place for a team that isn't going to accomplish a lot to make a good bit of money.

TCU is a respectable football program but doesn't add any new market. Would likely fall to Baylor status in the Big 12 as well. No new money here and would just be another mouth to feed. I really don't get the infatuation with TCU.

Notre Dame is an interesting thing to consider. Of course they would bring in enough money to the conference to make it worth an invite. The thing is, everyone assumes they'd only be interested in the Big 10 or the Big East in interested in a conference at all. The Big 10 wants Notre Dame to get the same amount of money as Northwestern and the Big East is... well the Big East. Notre Dame might like the pay structure of the Big 12 and the thought of being able to dominate a weak north division and the ND tv contract isn't as lucrative as people tend to think... they'd actually make more money in the Big 12. ND actually makes more sense than more people care to give thought too BUT ND directors seem more interested in the 'pride' of being independent.

The fact is there are only two teams out there that really add anything that might even consider it and one of them (ND) is a very, very, very long shot. I do think that the only thing that can save the Big 12 is to be able to land Notre Dame though. And they're a big enough fish that you let them bring whoever they want which will likely not be BYU. I would guess some team near to Notre Dame geographically and in the Big East.

Short of that happening, the Big 12 will be poached again in the near future and is doomed to fail.

Football Jim
11/5/2010, 01:39 AM
None of the above teams will likely even consider joining the Big XII.

Also, I think the Big XII isn't a conference that is going away any time soon. I would love to see us back to 12 teams again but there isn't any programs in the area that make sense and it will be hard to justify adding any teams that are out of the area.

I don't think that Texas wants any more schools from that state and the non Texas schools certainly don't want the state of Texas to have any more control than they already have. Some who I hang with would like to see two of the old SWC teams added, (Houston, Arkansas or Rice) but it ain't gonna happen.

I miss the old Big 8. . . . . . . .

Okie35
11/5/2010, 05:57 AM
Three words why Iowa wouldn't leave, Big Ten Network. They make enough TV money as it is.

Jacie
11/5/2010, 06:08 AM

And now that Baylor is good the rest of the league would like a new patsy to add to everyone's schedule . . .

OUTrumpet
11/5/2010, 06:14 AM
I think we should chase Memphis and Cincinnati. Pretty close geographically, new tv markets, and it'd upgrade our conference in respect to basketball as well.

sooneron
11/5/2010, 06:22 AM
I still think the only thing that makes sense is tcu and byu. BYU brings mucho dinero and they can have their own network, if they like. tcu (yeah, I know, another texas school) solidifies the DFW market. Plus, don't they have some decent baseball or something? Plus its an upgrade academically. Have osu go to the north (where they can really compete), but keep them as our yearly opponent. Easy peasy. Plus, we get to **** boise off by taking their one true quality opponent! Win win.

silverwheels
11/5/2010, 08:02 AM
TCU probably won't be in the MWC long, but most likely because the Big East will come calling, not the Big 12.

rainiersooner
11/5/2010, 08:47 AM
I think the Big XII has 5 years left in its life, if that. OU and Texas go either to the Pac10 or SEC. My guess is that they stick together.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:59 AM
OU should join the sunbelt

MeMyself&Me
11/5/2010, 09:02 AM
I think the Big XII has 5 years left in its life, if that. OU and Texas go either to the Pac10 or SEC. My guess is that they stick together.

If you're right about the 5 or less and sticking together, the destination will be the Pac 10. The Big 10 won't take OU and Texas seems scared of the SEC and no other conference makes that much sense to consider.

soonervegas
11/5/2010, 09:23 AM
#1 BYU
#2 West Virginia
#3 Georgia Tech?
#3 TCU (only if you can get #1 or #2)

I don't think it is in the Big 12's interest to add city schools.

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:29 AM

Word. I could score some sweet tix to the Troy State game.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 09:35 AM
We could replace texas with North Texas in the rivalry game and start some new intense rivalries with Troy and Florida Atlantic

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:37 AM
We could replace texas with North Texas in the rivalry game and start some new intense rivalries with Troy and Florida Atlantic

A new rivalry with Drunkenberger. I like it.

tfoolry
11/5/2010, 09:57 AM
Iowa & all Big 10 schools feel they're superior acedmically & athletically so none of those teams would ever leave for another conf.

MeMyself&Me
11/5/2010, 10:01 AM
You know, one way of fixing the situation the Big 12 is in is by removing some of the dead weight. Of course you can't vote out a member but you could get enough schools together to vote to dissolve a conference I presume, which would also avoid the penalties as well. With 10 schools, assuming a simple majority vote could do it, you'd need 6 schools to go along with it.

Take the 5 remaining that were offered the Pac 10 deal and get a 6th team to buy into the idea of forging a new conference entirely. Missouri wouldn't come with strings attached (like Kansas might) so I'll just say Missouri for this exercise. That would excuse ISU, Baylor, Kansas State, and Kansas from the dinner table. Texas, OU, OSU, Texas A&M, Tech, Mizzo would be free to form their own conference (would already have a plan in place of course).

The trick would be who to add. However, with fewer freeloaders, this gets a little easier even though you have to add several more teams to make a viable conference. The 'Big 6' could be able to raid the best 6 economically viable teams from the MWC and Big East to form a new 12 member conference. They'd also want to avoid the mistake of getting two teams from the same state/market as well. Think in terms of BYU (will be indy by that time but might not mind a conference that lets them have their own network, also the new conference will want at least one private school) and AFA or CSU from the MWC and Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, and Pitt from the Big East. I don't think you'd have much of a hard time getting these schools to join a conference with OU and Texas... would be a step up from where they are. Also, the added tv markets would be good for OU and Texas.

That would give the new conference a very broad footprint with not a bad lineup of football games. Not all are world beaters (you really don't want or need every program to be a top ten team anyway) but they all have something to offer financially with the exception of OSU and Tech (man if there was a way to dump them!). I'm not saying they'd all carry their entire market all of the time but it would be better than what we have now:

OU (National draw and Okie market)
Texas (National draw and most of Texas market)
Texas A&M (Houston market)
Texas Tech (I don't see anything they add that Texas doesn't cover)
OSU (I don't see anything they add that OU doesn't cover)
Missouri (Kansas City and St. Louis)
BYU (Utah market and National draw)
AFA or CSU (Colorado market)
Louisville (Kentucky market)
Cincy (Ohio market if not pitted directly across from tOSU)
West Virginia (West Virginia market)
Pitt (Pennsylvania market when not pitted directly across from Penn State)

I think I see something along these lines happening when OU, Texas, and Texas A&M discover they aren't going to get that really big TV contract that was promised and they've already discovered the penalty payouts from CU and NU aren't as much as they thought they'd be.

This would also likely make the Big East fold and the threat of that happening might get ND to moving toward a conference... which has could save the Big 12 if that's where they go. I don't know if super conferences are in the near future but I'm sure the Big 12 has got to do something or go away.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:12 AM
I know that keeping the Big XII together long term is probably out of the cards, but if it were, do you think that we could get Iowa to come join us? I mean, they play in a conference where they are pretty much irrelevant, would be paired with rival ISU in the North, however, probably doesn't bring a big name TV market to the league.

Agreed. Iowa would bring very little worth to the Big 12, Memphis or even Minnesota would bring more than Iowa.

Arkansas is basically the same, plus could renew old ties to the SWC teams and OU. Again, probably not a big market grab.

Agreed. Arkansas is a very poor prospect. Outside of being the Texas Schools old SWC beating boy, they bring absolutely nothing of value to the Big 12, other than a decent athletic department.

Boise basically has no stadium, tradition, or academic merits worth being invited. However, they could possibly bring west coast markets to the league. Plus they would instantly be relevant being in a BCS conference.

Boise would add nothing at all to our conference. The reason they are riding high with success in football is because they are in a **** poor conference. The other sports in their athletic department suck ***, not to mention they bring ZERO TV markets into the conference.

BYU, has some tradition, has a huge Mormon following, has good academics, but are lacking in facilities. Definite west coast audience?

BYU would bring most, if not all, of the Salt Lake City TV market. They would also add viewership thanks to being the flagship Mormon school. They do have decent, but not great athletic programs.

Notre Dame would be huge, however, they would have to either have to join us entirely or have a set up like they do know, which seams ludicrous, except for the NBC cash that they get for sucking every Saturday.

You can forget about Notre Dame. They are not leaving the confines of Independence unless forced to. They are also a member of the Big East in all sports but football. If they join any conference in football it will be the Big East.

The schools that would bring something to the table as far as tv markets would be:

Memphis, Cincinnati, BYU, Utah, Boise State, Fresno State, or Minnesota.

Scratch Minnesota from the list because they are a member of a money making conference in the Big 10+2.

Utah, they are headed to the PAC-10, so they are scratched.

If I had to choose of the remaining schools, I would want to add BYU and Fresno State. They bring in decent TV markets, open recruiting to the west coast, and have decent but not great athletic programs. Being in a BCS conference would most likely help them.

Boise brings nothing to a BCS conference.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:16 AM
#3 TCU (only if you can get #1 or #2)

We have enough Texas Schools.

What would TCU bring to the Big 12? A decent football team and that is honestly it. They bring no TV market that the Big 12 does not already have, so why would we even want them? The idea is to add viewship and potential money from more viewership.

oudavid1
11/5/2010, 01:21 PM
if we get Dotre Name, i would totally want Brian Kelly to still be there. And Arky would make this conference awesomeka.

GDC
11/5/2010, 02:00 PM
Iowa and Arkansas would be perfect.

TopDawg
11/5/2010, 02:08 PM
We have enough Texas Schools.

What would TCU bring to the Big 12? A decent football team and that is honestly it.

Their baseball team begs to differ.

silverwheels
11/5/2010, 03:29 PM
Iowa and Arkansas would be perfect.

No thanks.

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:34 PM
I can think of $25 Million reasons Iowa wouldn't consider it. Which probably makes the Pokes feel happy that they can still appear to be good at wrassling ;)

tator
11/5/2010, 03:44 PM
dude, its like we have the same brain...

tator
11/5/2010, 03:48 PM
Can we at least all agree that it's stupid anymore to have a numeric designation in your conference name, seeing how teams can and do move to other conferences? Can we please be the *** Kicking Conference or something?

kelloggOUballa
11/5/2010, 04:10 PM
You guys are getting warmer! It all starts with Notre Dame. As soon as Notre Dame enters the Big 12, all bets are off and we suddenly became THE appealing conference with OU, Texas and ND. We get ND, we could easily snag BYU, Arkansas, LSU, Arizona and Arizona State and become the strongest Super Conference of the four that will exist.

silverwheels
11/5/2010, 04:29 PM
Right...

bent rider
11/5/2010, 04:30 PM
MWC's chances of getting a BCS auto-bid went out the window when BYU and Utah left. Looks like TCU could be heading to the Big East, too.

Well Boise State is joining, sort of replacing Utah. Not quite a wash.

BYU has few wins over BCS teams, but otherwise, meh. 5 straight Las Vegas Bowls playing 7-5-type Pac-10 teams, ending up 3-2.

So as long as they have TCU and Boise they have a chance. Nevada will also be joining, they aren't half bad. The bottom half of the MWC is what hurts them. UNM, Wyo, UNLV are dragging them down in football. SDSU used to, but they seem to be righting the ship.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/5/2010, 07:37 PM
Merv said today that we would stay 10 teams for some time he thought. They may make something happen, but there seems no urgency to go back to 12 teams. For the next 4 years, we start off Big whatever play with Mizzou and then UT...

silverwheels
11/5/2010, 07:54 PM

BYU has few wins over BCS teams, but otherwise, meh. 5 straight Las Vegas Bowls playing 7-5-type Pac-10 teams, ending up 3-2.

So as long as they have TCU and Boise they have a chance. Nevada will also be joining, they aren't half bad. The bottom half of the MWC is what hurts them. UNM, Wyo, UNLV are dragging them down in football. SDSU used to, but they seem to be righting the ship.

TCU, Boise, Nevada, and Fresno isn't as good as TCU, Utah, BYU, Boise, Nevada, and Fresno.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:33 PM
Their baseball team begs to differ.

Even that doesnt come close to Texas, more like an even or slightly lower than OU or OSU or even Kansas.

Yeah, they have a good program there, but lets face it, baseball is just a fraction of what the Big 12 needs, and even so, we are not losing any our powers of the conference when it comes to baseball.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:35 PM

BSU does not replace Utah. Sorry.

CORNholio
11/6/2010, 04:30 AM
You know, one way of fixing the situation the Big 12 is in is by removing some of the dead weight. Of course you can't vote out a member but you could get enough schools together to vote to dissolve a conference I presume, which would also avoid the penalties as well. With 10 schools, assuming a simple majority vote could do it, you'd need 6 schools to go along with it.

Take the 5 remaining that were offered the Pac 10 deal and get a 6th team to buy into the idea of forging a new conference entirely. Missouri wouldn't come with strings attached (like Kansas might) so I'll just say Missouri for this exercise. That would excuse ISU, Baylor, Kansas State, and Kansas from the dinner table. Texas, OU, OSU, Texas A&M, Tech, Mizzo would be free to form their own conference (would already have a plan in place of course).

The trick would be who to add. However, with fewer freeloaders, this gets a little easier even though you have to add several more teams to make a viable conference. The 'Big 6' could be able to raid the best 6 economically viable teams from the MWC and Big East to form a new 12 member conference. They'd also want to avoid the mistake of getting two teams from the same state/market as well. Think in terms of BYU (will be indy by that time but might not mind a conference that lets them have their own network, also the new conference will want at least one private school) and AFA or CSU from the MWC and Louisville, Cincy, West Virginia, and Pitt from the Big East. I don't think you'd have much of a hard time getting these schools to join a conference with OU and Texas... would be a step up from where they are. Also, the added tv markets would be good for OU and Texas.

That would give the new conference a very broad footprint with not a bad lineup of football games. Not all are world beaters (you really don't want or need every program to be a top ten team anyway) but they all have something to offer financially with the exception of OSU and Tech (man if there was a way to dump them!). I'm not saying they'd all carry their entire market all of the time but it would be better than what we have now:

OU (National draw and Okie market)
Texas (National draw and most of Texas market)
Texas A&M (Houston market)
Texas Tech (I don't see anything they add that Texas doesn't cover)
OSU (I don't see anything they add that OU doesn't cover)
Missouri (Kansas City and St. Louis)
BYU (Utah market and National draw)
AFA or CSU (Colorado market)
Louisville (Kentucky market)
Cincy (Ohio market if not pitted directly across from tOSU)
West Virginia (West Virginia market)
Pitt (Pennsylvania market when not pitted directly across from Penn State)

I think I see something along these lines happening when OU, Texas, and Texas A&M discover they aren't going to get that really big TV contract that was promised and they've already discovered the penalty payouts from CU and NU aren't as much as they thought they'd be.

This would also likely make the Big East fold and the threat of that happening might get ND to moving toward a conference... which has could save the Big 12 if that's where they go. I don't know if super conferences are in the near future but I'm sure the Big 12 has got to do something or go away.

Agree about dropping the dead weight. get rid of ISU and Baylor. Bring in TCU and Arkie. Try for LSU and Ole Miss. If you can get just one then throw in Tulsa as a gimme. Bam new big 12

MeMyself&Me
11/6/2010, 08:47 AM
Can we at least all agree that it's stupid anymore to have a numeric designation in your conference name, seeing how teams can and do move to other conferences?

Yes. Extremely short sighted.

Agree about dropping the dead weight. get rid of ISU and Baylor. Bring in TCU and Arkie. Try for LSU and Ole Miss. If you can get just one then throw in Tulsa as a gimme. Bam new big 12

If forming a new conference to drop dead weight, the point would be to add large markets that don't overlap. TCU is in a large market but OU and Texas would dominate the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex without that mouth to feed. Arkie doesn't really add that large of a market and hasn't been good enough to make for a national draw. LSU would be good but I don't think they'd ever leave the SEC for any reason and Neither would Ole Miss which would be like adding Arkie anyway.

I think targeting the Big East would be better. Larger markets up there and it puts pressure on Notre Dame. Grab a couple from the Mountain West and you have a very large footprint in three time zones. Should make for very large TV contracts.

OUthunder
11/6/2010, 09:12 AM
Syracuse, New York market? That would be a fun trip to say the least. West Virginia isn't exactly on my wish list, bunch of inbreds and we already have oSu for that. Cincinnati would be OK I guess. They need to upgrade their facilities though. The football stadium makes Baylor's look like the Taj Mahal.

MeMyself&Me
11/6/2010, 05:00 PM
Syracuse, New York market? That would be a fun trip to say the least. West Virginia isn't exactly on my wish list, bunch of inbreds and we already have oSu for that. Cincinnati would be OK I guess. They need to upgrade their facilities though. The football stadium makes Baylor's look like the Taj Mahal.

Doesn't really matter to me. I don't know much about those Big East teams other than their markets are bigger than those in the mountains. May not be great programs but the markets would be worth the grab if we dropped some of our free loaders by dumping the conference all together and formed a new one.

bluedogok
11/6/2010, 05:56 PM
Supposedly they have been doing some renovations to Nippert Stadium in recent years.

JayhawkScott
11/9/2010, 04:47 PM

I like the idea of targeting the Big East for the big markets. Most of the football schools are unhappy with the basketball schools right now so it may be a good time to offer a couple of them to join our conference. Why not do what they're doing to TCU and offer football only inclusion (with the possibility of full inclusion should the Big East collapse) to the Big XII? They could stay in the Big East for all the other sports so that travel wouldn't be as much of an issue. See if Syracuse and South Florida would bite. Gaining a NY and Florida market would be great for the Big XII tv package and fun travel destinations.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 04:51 PM
sounds like TCU doesn't like the deal the Big East is offering.

Soonerwake
11/9/2010, 04:54 PM
Notre Dame, any team from the SEC or Big Ten???

Is this the delusional fan thread??

It's the Big XII-II until OU and Texas decide it isn't.