PDA

View Full Version : Cam newton in trouble?

Pages : [1] 2

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 04:51 PM
Looks like something is going on.

http://twitter.com/ThayerEvansFox/status/298768050159616

http://twitter.com/BlatantHomerism/status/295451718844416

http://twitter.com/bartonsimmons/status/294552627843074

http://twitter.com/BlatantHomerism/status/293966243176448

85sooners
11/4/2010, 04:54 PM
:eek:

BillyBall
11/4/2010, 04:54 PM
He loves him some laptops.

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 04:56 PM
Hearing rumor he took 200k to go to auburn.

ddub0224
11/4/2010, 04:57 PM
Hearing rumor he took 200k to go to auburn.

cash, or Dell stock?

OUEngr1990
11/4/2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.ls1.com/forums/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Dwight
11/4/2010, 04:58 PM
Pics or it didn't happen...whatever it is.

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 04:58 PM
Seems one of those twitter post is from a auburn hater. so i'll take this with a grain of salt.

KantoSooner
11/4/2010, 04:59 PM
That would be interesting. Would Auburn stonewall through the season's end and then try to mitigate? Or sacrifice their last run of the last ten years and hope to save the program?
Ah, choices, choices.

badger
11/4/2010, 04:59 PM
So I guess this is why he went SEC and not to OU?

:les: But OU always pays their players, otherwise they'd come here to Stillwater! [hairGel]

:rolleyes: If it comes out Phil Fulmer (or even Dooley Junior) turned them in, the entire state of Alabama is going to unite and burn Knoxville to the ground.

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 05:02 PM
Nothing out of yahoo or chip brown yet...

Widescreen
11/4/2010, 05:02 PM
http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT

NY Times weighing in. :eek:

BREAKING NEWS: We have on-record confirmation the NCAA is investigating the recruitment of Cameron Newton.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 05:03 PM
It has something to do with his Church

CatfishSooner
holy shnikeys!!!

The
Lawd, I hate Twitter.

Dwight
11/4/2010, 05:04 PM
Too bad they will wait 5 years to do anything about it *cough usuc cough*

sooner518
11/4/2010, 05:04 PM
FWIW - its being reported by ESPN now...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 05:05 PM
Looking like alot of smack talk now.

http://twitter.com/PeteThamelNYT

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 05:05 PM
Auburn =/= USC

oumartin
11/4/2010, 05:07 PM
So, Cam went to the highest bidder the way it looks.

Apparently he wanted 180k outta MSU and they refused. Nobody knows if Auburn paid or not but he wanted alot of money to go to MSU. Can't blame him there.

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 05:10 PM
FWIW - its being reported by ESPN now...

Glad I read this whole thread before I posted the link, too. It's gonna get ugly!!

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:14 PM
So, Cam went to the highest bidder the way it looks.

Apparently he wanted 180k outta MSU and they refused. Nobody knows if Auburn paid or not but he wanted alot of money to go to MSU. Can't blame him there.

Sure you can.

In the future, how about we stay the Hell away from trouble. Yes, we'll miss out on some talent, but character is in short supply and we need as much of it on our team as possible.

A thief possesses the lowest character. They're worthless and a pox on our society. Keep 'em away from our team.

BTW, Cam Newton is not in any trouble. Nothing will happen to him that a cool chunk of cash applied to the forehead won't cure. People like Cam don't care about hurting others.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 05:15 PM
His preacher dad is the one who sold him out for the most money to the highest bidding school. What a shame on multiple levels.

badger
11/4/2010, 05:15 PM
I don't see us being among the schools to pay $200k for Cam Cam, not when we have Landry Jones returning, bringing in a top recruit like Blake Bell and already having Drew Allen. So, anyone that wants to tie us to that SEC pay-to-play crap, you'll just sound like an idiot trying.

I think it is foolish for a school to pay that much to a player, even one as talented as Newton. It almost sounds like someone claiming to have times to Cameron was trying to B.S. his way into pocketing $180k.

NorCal Sooner
11/4/2010, 05:16 PM
Apparently he wanted 180k outta MSU and they refused. Nobody knows if Auburn paid or not.

This is all that is being reported at this point, and it was a so called repesenitive of Cam asking for the cash and not Cam himself.

oumartin
11/4/2010, 05:17 PM
Okay, even if he did nothing wrong what does this do to his Heisman chances if this investigation hasn't been resolved by then. Does the Heisman trust fear another Reggie Bush type ordeal and try to sway votes away from him?
Cam has to be the frontrunner right now.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:17 PM
I don't see us being among the schools to pay $200k for Cam Cam, not when we have Landry Jones returning, bringing in a top recruit like Blake Bell and already having Drew Allen. .

Correction: We are not going to pay ANY money no matter who we have playing QB.

oumartin
11/4/2010, 05:18 PM
Sure you can.

In the future, how about we stay the Hell away from trouble. Yes, we'll miss out on some talent, but character is in short supply and we need as much of it on our team as possible.

A thief possesses the lowest character. They're worthless and a pox on our society. Keep 'em away from our team.

BTW, Cam Newton is not in any trouble. Nothing will happen to him that a cool chunk of cash applied to the forehead won't cure. People like Cam don't care about hurting others.

I was referring to him wanting money to play at MSU. Can't blame the kid there. Don't take everything so literally

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:19 PM
Okay, even if he did nothing wrong what does this do to his Heisman chances if this investigation hasn't been resolved by then. Does the Heisman trust fear another Reggie Bush type ordeal and try to sway votes away from him?
Cam has to be the frontrunner right now.

Here is my deal on this: If stealing another student's laptop doesn't bother you as a Heisman voter, why should you care if he received money to sign for a particular school?

tcrb
11/4/2010, 05:20 PM
Anybody know how much we paid for Landry? Hope we got a good deal.

OK2U
11/4/2010, 05:21 PM

Dwight
11/4/2010, 05:22 PM
Here is my deal on this: If stealing another student's laptop doesn't bother you as a Heisman voter, why should you care if he received money to sign for a particular school?

SMH roflcoptorz

oumartin
11/4/2010, 05:22 PM

Voters probably have a short memory. He is a kid, one mistake shouldn't keep this kid from the honor. Now, if there is something to this story then thats twice he's been a punk and deserves no more chances.

oumartin
11/4/2010, 05:23 PM
We just gave Landry a free Gideon Bible from the Holiday Inn. He was happy.

tcrb
11/4/2010, 05:26 PM

Cool. That was a great deal. One thing for sure, whatever texas$ paid for GG was way too much.:D

badger
11/4/2010, 05:28 PM
Anybody know how much we paid for Landry? Hope we got a good deal.

OU: Landry, if you sign with us, we'll give you a girlfriend.

Landry: I dunno, I'm kinda dorky. What girl will want me?

(OU shows picture)
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-07/1210hsg.jpg

Landry: Heh heh heh heh. Me likey. Me signee.

(signs letter of intent)

OU: Whitney, there's something Coach Coale forgot to tell you, but upon signing with the women's basketball program, you are assigned a boyfriend on the football team?

Whitney: What??? Who???

(OU shows picture)
http://pshad88.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/landry-jones-mustache.jpg

Whitney: Oh man... well, at least I'll still get to play basketball.

:pop:

Scott D
11/4/2010, 05:30 PM
I find it curious that Miss. St. was the only school that was asked for a bribe.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 05:35 PM
I find it curious that Miss. St. was the only school that was asked for a bribe.

I heard a hint that, Bob might have wanted him? Never really tried to check if we made a run (serious or not) at him.

TXBOOMER
11/4/2010, 05:36 PM
It has something to do with his Church

Preacher probably told him if he gave 10% to him it would be okay to take some cash.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:38 PM
Voters probably have a short memory. He is a kid, one mistake shouldn't keep this kid from the honor.

Stealing a laptop is only a mistake if he happened to pick up the wrong laptop "by mistake." Purposeful swiping of someone else's property is not a mistake; it's a crime. A completely inexcusable one. And one that shows his character. After all, how much worry did he have over the student's loss?

Collier11
11/4/2010, 05:41 PM
So Chizik sold his soul?

Rickety_Syd
11/4/2010, 05:43 PM

He also wanted free razors, but we wouldn't go that far. That's why the 'stache.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 05:44 PM
Preacher probably told him if he gave 10% to him it would be okay to take some cash.

The crappy part is the preacher is his dad.

agoo758
11/4/2010, 05:45 PM
Stealing a laptop is only a mistake if he happened to pick up the wrong laptop "by mistake." Purposeful swiping of someone else's property is not a mistake; it's a crime. A completely inexcusable one. And one that shows his character. After all, how much worry did he have over the student's loss?

For once, I'm fully with Leroid on this one. I am a senior in college, and throughout my time in college, It NEVER crossed my mind to steal ANYTHING.

yermom
11/4/2010, 05:47 PM

Troy Smith seemed to do okay

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 05:48 PM
They should all be convicted by Page 10 on here.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 05:49 PM
Miss St will probably be the first to go down

Tigeman
11/4/2010, 05:49 PM
Ok I'm gonna comment once on this then never again until the NCAA is done.

I have referenced this since his visit and signing on this board, but never went into detail b/c it wasn't my place.

From direct info. We were offered Mr. Newton's services for X amount.... we told him we'll offer you a chance at a national championship and a conference championship but nothing more. We left it at that, but chose not to turn them in.

Auburn paid biggggg, as they have w/ a few of their recent recruits.

The story part about us comes from a customer of mine that I'm building for within the staff. Apparently Stoops was pretty pissed that they even asked us considering the Big Red deal. It slipped out a few months ago when talking about Cam, and me wishing we could have got him.

As to the Auburn story, one of their "boosters" lives here and was one of the folks asked to funnel funds. I have some business interests with him, which is how I was privy to this info sometime ago. Think very similar to the Tiny situation. I joked about how we were going to get Cam and he joked not a chance as Auburn was willing to spend whatever it took. I thought he was endulging me in playful banter. Boyyyy was I wrong....eventually he spilled the beans one night over drinks. I have no reason to ever doubt the guy, and like I Said, this was months and months ago. Before the season even started for that matter.

Like I said, I referenced these very things when referencing Auburn and their recruits if you'll check my posts over the last few months. I never did hear amounts though, so that's the first I've heard of that. But like I said, this is the last I'll comment on the subject until any official statements come out. Well... I'll still take a random shot at Auburn and paying recruits every now and then :P

I seriously doubt much will come out of it all though, as the SEC has been hiding funds for centuries and has gotten very good at it. Cash placed in a safety deposit box at a random bank is pretty tough for the NCAA to find. IRS, maybe, but not the NCAA. They don't have the power to get the banks to reveal such items.

Rocko
11/4/2010, 05:50 PM

Now I totally agree with your intolerance of stealing, but man you sure do hate stealers :eek: what's the deal, something personal?

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:52 PM
Ok I'm gonna comment once on this then never again until the NCAA is done.

I have referenced this since his visit and signing on this board, but never went into detail b/c it wasn't my place.

From direct info. We were offered Mr. Newton's services for X amount.... we told him we'll offer you a chance at a national championship and a conference championship but nothing more. We left it at that, but chose not to turn them in.

(deleted)

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 05:56 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/11/ncaa-reportedly-investigating-the-recruitment-of-auburns-cam-newton/1

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:00 PM
How are you quantifying cost? The cost of someones life vs someones pS3, the cost of someones well being vs someones cell phone, they cost of someones childhood after rape vs someones stereo? Your argument is a foolish one

COST! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I mean, read!

And no crime busts our society financially more than thievery. All the money we spend on alarms, locks, and security is money taken out of your pocket that you could have spent on your family.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:02 PM
Id say there are several crimes that do more damage to our society than thievery, and I hate people who steal just as much but lets use common sense here

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:02 PM
the usa today article is the same as the espn one. Both just pulled the ap wire.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:05 PM
Now I totally agree with your intolerance of stealing, but man you sure do hate stealers :eek: what's the deal, something personal?

Have you ever had something stolen? You'd feel the same way about thiefs too. He's right, there is no "mistake" about taking something that is not yours. I'm not saying the guy didn't deserve a second chance, but I wouldn't have forgotten that he's the type of person to take something that's not his. People that steal deserve to be beaten with a baseball bat.

85sooners
11/4/2010, 06:06 PM
phuck auburn!

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:07 PM
fwiw, the accusation was that he paid for stolen property, not that he stole it.

now leroy will sit here and tell us how it's the same thing.

Tigeman
11/4/2010, 06:08 PM
What I want to add is, I realize most of us never really paid much attn. to Auburn's recruiting. But I had been paying a bunchhhh of attn. to it during the recruitment of Cam. Those who didn't think Auburn was dirtyyyyy in their recruitment were idiots. Since they hired Chizik they're recruiting classes went from 19 his first year, to 25th his second year. The third year they magically jumped to the Top 5 (4th). You don't go from barely in the top 20 ranked recruiting classes to top 5 in a year using the same coaches w/o some level of stink! Glad to see these phucks investigated even if nothing comes of it, they'll still be scrutinized and have to be on their p's and q's!

soonercastor
Well now there are reports of more schools involved

soonerchk
Have you ever had something stolen? You'd feel the same way about thiefs too. He's right, there is no "mistake" about taking something that is not yours. I'm not saying the guy didn't deserve a second chance, but I wouldn't have forgotten that he's the type of person to take something that's not his. People that steal deserve to be beaten with a baseball bat.

Exactly. It's not like you accidentally walk off with someone else's tv. *cough cough cedric benson cough cough*

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:09 PM
fwiw, the accusation was that he paid for stolen property, not that he stole it.

I have pointed this out to Leroy several times, Leroys only reply is "yea right"

swardboy
11/4/2010, 06:09 PM
phuck auburn!

:D

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:11 PM
Id say there are several crimes that do more damage to our society than thievery, and I hate people who steal just as much but lets use common sense here

In terms of cost? I sure can't think of any.

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 06:13 PM
Well now there are reports of more schools involved

More schools that paid, or more schools that were offered the opportunity to pay?

Dwight
11/4/2010, 06:14 PM
OK stealing is bad, but there are WAY worse crimes, such as rape, murder, and child sodomization.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:15 PM
In terms of cost? I sure can't think of any.

How are you quantifying cost? The cost of someones life vs someones pS3, the cost of someones well being vs someones cell phone, they cost of someones childhood after rape vs someones stereo? Your argument is a foolish one

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:15 PM
Dwight, not in Leroy's world.

Rocko
11/4/2010, 06:16 PM

I understand that there is a great deal of displeasure when stolen from, everyone has experienced it. However, I don't believe material items should hold so much value in our life, that we foster violent wishes towards those who steal. There are always legal means of justice for the choices they make.

On another note:

I don't follow Cam all that much, aside from watching his highlights, but man he had me fooled. I heard about his laptop issue, he was punished for it. It's the genuine smile he seems to wear every time he doesn't have a helmet on that is almost sickening. Of course, this is if all this holds, but if his father is behind this I cannot imagine how askew his morals are. poor guy.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:17 PM

When you buy a laptop for $150 bucks out of someones trunk, you can only assume it's stolen. And when you throw it out the dorm room windows when the cops come, that doesn't lead me to believe you knew you were innocent. I think people who knowingly buy stolen stuff are just as bad as the people who steal it. I'm sure he wasn't going to turn it in when he found out there was another person's stuff on it.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:17 PM
Ive had my car stereo stolen twice and honestly I wished that I could catch the people who did it cus I would beat the ever loving hell out of them.

But if my choice was to be stolen from or someone in my family be hurt, easy choice

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 06:19 PM
So Chizik sold his soul?
Well, he was dc at Texas

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:19 PM
I have pointed this out to Leroy several times, Leroys only reply is "yea right"

When you bust a thief with stolen property, what does he always say? "I bought it from someone else." What else can he say?

Why don't I believe him?

1. It's the oldest line in the book.
2. Cam threw the laptop out the window when the authorities came knocking.
3. This other person has never surfaced.

Finally, that laptop belonged to some poor bastard who could have had his term papers on it, but did Cam care? No, he threw it out of a third-story window, probably damaging it beyond repair, all so that he wouldn't be pinched for it.

Screw him.

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:20 PM
When you buy a laptop for $150 bucks out of someones trunk, you can only assume it's stolen. And when you throw it out the dorm room windows when the cops come, that doesn't lead me to believe you knew you were innocent. I think people who knowingly buy stolen stuff are just as bad as the people who steal it. I'm sure he wasn't going to turn it in when he found out there was another person's stuff on it.

I get it, it's only legitimate if the words Pawn Shop are attached to you ;)

I'm not condoning the purchase of stolen merchandise, but the act of stealing and knowing something may or may not be stolen is not on equal footing.

soonergirlNeugene
11/4/2010, 06:23 PM
Eesh we dodged a bullet with this guy. Or at least I hope we did.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:24 PM
I understand that there is a great deal of displeasure when stolen from, everyone has experienced it. However, I don't believe material items should hold so much value in our life, that we foster violent wishes towards those who steal. There are always legal means of justice for the choices they make.

Tell that to the person who broke into my house and stole $2000 dollars worth of stuff. I knew the guy from work and let him come over to play video games. He quit working with me, but still came by a couple of times to hang out. One day I had work and he came by before to see if I wanted to hang out, I told him no I have work this evening. I cam home after work that night to find out my stuff was gone. I knew who it was, I had other people who knew him tell me he and his friends broke into houses often. I told the cops this, and I even had the serial numbers for all my electronics. But guess what? They never caught him or got any of my stuff back. If I saw him today I would beat the **** out of him. The cops didn't do ****. Hell they didn't even act like they cared cause they probably see this **** all the time. So don't tell me there are legal ways of doing things. I was nice to this person and they ****ed me over. People like that are scum in my opinion!

OK rant over...

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:24 PM
as long as nobody in our athletic department was willing to offer up money to this 'representative' no reason we should be in trouble.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:25 PM
and you are still alive and breathing, no one in your family was hurt...your life will go on and get better

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:25 PM
Tell that to the person who broke into my house and stole $2000 dollars worth of stuff. I knew the guy from work and let him come over to play video games. He quit working with me, but still came by a couple of times to hang out. One day I had work and he came by before to see if I wanted to hang out, I told him no I have work this evening. I cam home after work that night to find out my stuff was gone. I knew who it was, I had other people who knew him tell me he and his friends broke into houses often. I told the cops this, and I even had the serial numbers for all my electronics. But guess what? They never caught him or got any of my stuff back. If I saw him today I would beat the **** out of him. The cops didn't do ****. Hell they didn't even act like they cared cause they probably see this **** all the time. So don't tell me there are legal ways of doing things. I was nice to this person and they ****ed me over. People like that are scum in my opinion!

OK rant over...

I would have started and stopped just with saying that people (in general) are scum. Much easier way to have an outlook on life.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:26 PM

I'm not condoning the purchase of stolen merchandise, but the act of stealing and knowing something may or may not be stolen is not on equal footing.

I hate pawn shops too. They are supposed to run numbers for stolen stuff, but I found my stolen Wii there myself. They don't give a **** about if your stuff is stolen either. Most of them are just as bad as thiefs themselves.

Kadosh
11/4/2010, 06:26 PM
After his official visit to Starkville, Newton took visits to Oklahoma on Dec. 11 and Auburn Dec. 18.

On Dec. 31, 2009, Newton publicly committed to Auburn,...

This would be key. It's common college football knowledge that OU has a better history of making a run for the championship compared to Auburn, so why pick Auburn? The article later mentions that his dad made the decision for him. Fine, his dad wants what's best for his son. But, OU, just a few months earlier, produced the #1 draft pick for the NFL, with record breaking pay. So, again...why pick Auburn?!

Probably Stoops kicked him out after asking how much he is willing to offer for his services. Stoops: "How about the middle finger, and a get the f*@k out"

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:28 PM
One could arguably say that his father picked Auburn because it was the closest to home.

Leroy Lizard
Exactly. It's not like you accidentally walk off with someone else's tv. *cough cough cedric benson cough cough*

This is one case where I will give the player the benefit of the doubt since he never actually stole a tv.

Cedric's crime was unlawful entry and sheer-*** stupidity. You never, ever, ever break into someone's place of residence, especially if they are inside. Since the woman was inside when Benson and his cronies kicked the door in, he's lucky he didn't serve serious time (or got shot).

Less known about the case was the circumstances in which Benson was arrested: "Benson was arrested in April 2002 in his hometown of Midland when police said they found marijuana, drug paraphernalia and beer in an apartment that Benson was visiting."

soonercastor
Now I even wish we hadn't even made a run at him, just mentioning that he visited OU makes me sick

Monster Zero

Personally just for pure chickenhsit-ness I detest guys who take advantage of respectable young women and then dump them.

But that's just me, and I understand that that's just me.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:29 PM
and you are still alive and breathing, no one in your family was hurt...your life will go on and get better

Not saying it won't. Just reminding you guys who are defending thiefs that it sucks and it is a big deal. What if me or my gf was home when that guy stole my stuff? I could have been hurt. People always say that if nobody got hurt it's ok. Losing $2000 dollars of stuff you have collected over the years is ****ty and hard financially to replace.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:30 PM

Let's dispense with the "something may or may not have been stolen" angle. Even if Cam's story is true (ha!), he definitely knew it was stolen because he tried to dump the merchandise when the police arrived.

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:30 PM
nobody's defending thieves.

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:31 PM
Let's dispense with the "something may or may not have been stolen" angle. Even if Cam's story is true (ha!), he definitely knew it was stolen because he tried to dump the merchandise when the police arrived.

That doesn't mean a whole lot to be honest.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:31 PM
Oh im not defending thieves at all, im coming after Leroys argument that stealing does more damage to society than anything

cleller
11/4/2010, 06:32 PM
Charles Barkley is probably going to come into this story at some point.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:32 PM
nobody's defending thieves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Lizard

:confused: :confused:

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:33 PM
Oh im not defending thieves at all, im coming after Leroys argument that stealing does more damage to society than anything

Not than murder or rape, but it's up there IMO

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:34 PM

Let me put a gun to your head, steal your car, have the police tell you to screw off, and then tell us how "life goes on" and "it's no biggie."

Somewhere out there, a man is taking great pleasure in using jumperstop's stuff -- the stuff that jumperstop worked hard to obtain. Yeah, I would be absolutely pissed too. And wishing horrible things on the thief is perfectly understandable.

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:35 PM
See the difference is that I don't care either way about Newton. I don't care if he stole the laptop or if he bought stolen property. I don't care if his father sold his commitment to the highest bidder through an agent being investigated by the NFLPA. I don't care if Newton possibly didn't know about the backroom deals being made by his father (allegedly). I just don't find anything about Auburn worth caring about outside of Vincent Jackson or Frank Thomas.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:35 PM
One could arguably say that his father picked Auburn because it was the closest to home.

I know there are parents out there like that, but why would any parent not let their kid decide where he wanted to go to college? Seems like not a very nice dad to do that.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:39 PM
Let me put a gun to your head, steal your car, have the police tell you to screw off, and then tell us how "life goes on" and "it's no biggie."

Somewhere out there, a man is taking great pleasure in using jumperstop's stuff -- the stuff that jumperstop worked hard to obtain. Yeah, I would be absolutely pissed too. And wishing horrible things on the thief is perfectly understandable.

Thank you Leroy! At least somebody here understands.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:39 PM
See the difference is that I don't care either way about Newton. I don't care if he stole the laptop or if he bought stolen property. I don't care if his father sold his commitment to the highest bidder through an agent being investigated by the NFLPA. I don't care if Newton possibly didn't know about the backroom deals being made by his father (allegedly). I just don't find anything about Auburn worth caring about outside of Vincent Jackson or Frank Thomas.

Probably posting in the wrong thread then...

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:41 PM

You sound like his mother. "But officer, I know my boy. Yes, he may have had stolen property on him, and he may have thrown it out the window when you arrived, but how do you know he knew it was stolen?"

At some point, you need to apply the :rolleyes: to Cam's story.

sooner518
11/4/2010, 06:42 PM
Ive had my car stereo stolen twice and honestly I wished that I could catch the people who did it cus I would beat the ever loving hell out of them.

But if my choice was to be stolen from or someone in my family be hurt, easy choice

I had an ipod and all of my CD's stolen from my car last April. The ipod was a gift from my old company, and had the company's name engraved on the back. Couple weeks later, I saw a similar sounding ipod on Ebay being sold less than 5 miles from me.

I emailed the guy asking for pictures and he sent them, clearly showing my company's logo on the back. Through the power of internet sleuthing and Facebook, I found out the kid's name, that he was a student at TCU and that his dad was a TCU professor. I ended up winning the Ebay auction for the ipod and arranged to meet him at Starbucks close by.

The next day I called the Fort Worth cops. We set up a sting where the lady-cop went with me to Starbucks where we would verify the serial number and then arrest him. He finally showed up, told us that he bought it from a friend a year back. Then 2 cop cars pulled up and they arrested his ***.

He apparently cracked and said he took it from one of his friends, which turned out to be a lie. I got my ipod back, and about a month after that, I got a call from the detective saying they had gone into the kid's house, found a treasure trove of stolen golf clubs, tennis rackets, ipods, sunglasses, etc.... and arrested this kid and his roommate. They both got kicked out of TCU. I got my CDs back. I dont know what happenned to them, but the detective told me that their parents wouldnt be able to buy his way out of this.

I saw all the stuff they had in their house. Probably 10-15 sets of golf clubs. 15-20 tennis rackets. 20 Cd wallets at least. a drawer full of ipods. a bunch of clothes.

Anyhow, the moral of the story is thieves suck and it felt really good to completely bust one and get my stuff back. It was really satisfying watching him on the verge of tears as they put him in the back of a squad car.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:43 PM
I know there are parents out there like that, but why would any parent not let their kid decide where he wanted to go to college? Seems like not a very nice dad to do that.

Depends on the family. There are families that pick their kids' marriage partners. Who are we to say it's wrong?

Scott D
11/4/2010, 06:43 PM

sometimes it can be a tough choice, sometimes a kid doesn't want to make that decision....but I'd say in this case it might be damning evidence.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:46 PM
He apparently cracked and said he took it from one of his friends, which turned out to be a lie.

But... but... how do you know this is a lie? Perhaps he took it so that he could return it to you via Ebay. How do we know this could not have possibly happened? This man could be an angel... a saint.

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 06:48 PM
You sound like his mother. "But officer, I know my boy. Yes, he may have had stolen property on him, and he may have thrown it out the window when you arrived, but how do you know he knew it was stolen?"

At some point, you need to apply the :rolleyes: to Cam's story.

I agree with you leroy. I hate parents like that and their are many out there that think there's no way their child would do something like that. :rolleyes: Yeah right!!

I hate thieves. They might not be killers or rapist but the damage they do can still be devistating to the victims.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:48 PM
Thank you Leroy! At least somebody here understands.

Let me amend my comment: DOING horrible things to the thief is perfectly understandable.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:50 PM
sometimes it can be a tough choice, sometimes a kid doesn't want to make that decision....but I'd say in this case it might be damning evidence.

Yeah I guess I don't know since I'm not a dad, but I can see why you would want them close. I would just never make such a life changing decision for my children. Some parents would though.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:51 PM
I agree with you leroy. I hate parents like that and their are many out there that think there's no way their child would do something like that. :rolleyes: Yeah right!!

I hate thieves. They might not be killers or rapist but the damage they do can still be devistating to the victims.

It's even more devastating to society as a whole. Think about all the commerce that cannot proceed because of security problems. Think about the families that are scared to even go on vacation because they're afraid of burglaries. Think about all the accidental deaths due to gunshots because guns were needed to protect the home. And think about all the people killed because someone wanted stuff that didn't belong to them.

agoo758
11/4/2010, 06:53 PM

It is the same thing. If you pay for something you know is stolen, you are just as guilty.

Leroy Lizard
Yeah I guess I don't know since I'm not a dad, but I can see why you would want them close. I would just never make such a life changing decision for my children. Some parents would though.

I did. (Well, she could have went to another school on her own dime. She didn't have the dime, though.)

soonercastor
I saw some people on the LSU board saying that they hope the allegations are wrong because it will tarnish the SEC. LMAO

These guys love for their conference is unreal, not to mention that if somehow this gets investigated and done with in the following Month, LSU could be the front-runner for the SEC West.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:54 PM
Let me amend my comment: DOING horrible things to the thief is perfectly understandable.

I'll never see this guy again anyways and I'm not the violent type. Not saying it's right for me to want to beat his ***, but after I was nice enough to let him into my house and share my stuff with him, I feel like I want to beat his *** because of it.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:56 PM
I saw some people on the LSU board saying that they hope the allegations are wrong because it will tarnish the SEC. LMAO

These guys love for their conference is unreal, not to mention that if somehow this gets investigated and done with in the following Month, LSU could be the front-runner for the SEC West.

Only one month? I say 3 years min

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 06:58 PM
Only one month? I say 3 years min

I know lol, just sayin':P. Oh and apparently this was reported to the SEC in JULY:eek:

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 06:58 PM
I did. (Well, she could have went to another school on her own dime. She didn't have the dime, though.)

See I can that, especially with out of state tuition and stuff. Except if you're in Newton's dad's shoes, your making the decision because you're getting the dime.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:59 PM
I'll never see this guy again anyways and I'm not the violent type. Not saying it's right for me to want to beat his ***, but after I was nice enough to let him into my house and share my stuff with him, I feel like I want to beat his *** because of it.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to wanting to do something to someone. It's only when you take action that the issue surfaces. If you truly want to beat the crap out of him, you are entitled to that opinion.

gaylordfan1
11/4/2010, 07:16 PM
Wow, this thread is blowing up.

I know everyone is talking about stealing right now, but I have a quick question. Are they alleging that Cam took money from M. State and Auburn or just M. State?

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 07:18 PM

I know everyone is talking about stealing right now, but I have a quick question. Are they alleging that Cam took money from M. State and Auburn or just M. State?

well we don't know if he took any money...yet. But what seems to be a lock at this point is that he (or an agent/dad ?) asked 180K to Miss St.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 07:21 PM
They should all be convicted by Page 10 on here.

better slow this thread down :eek:

or

increase the # of msg/page ;)

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 07:22 PM

Someone said his people asked for 180,000 from Miss St, but rumors are the reason he didn't take that and go there is cause he got 200,000 from Auburn.

delhalew
11/4/2010, 07:23 PM

Just Auburn. M. State says they reported it immediately.

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 07:24 PM
Sure make a few bucks up at Big Red Auto Sales look like chump change.

85sooners
11/4/2010, 07:30 PM
:texan: :pop:

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 07:50 PM
M. State says they reported it immediately.

I sure hope that we would have as well (why wouldn't we?). I'm not buying that we were "offered" his services.

If so, the NCAA might be into this investigation almost a year already.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 07:55 PM
I sure hope that we would have as well (why wouldn't we?). I'm not buying that we were "offered" his services.

Yeah who knows where that guy got his story. There are a lot of people who know someone in the Athletic Dept or in his cause a big donor. His story seemed legit though. Could we get in trouble if he asked but we didn't bite, then didn't report it?

trwxxa
11/4/2010, 07:55 PM
There was an article in SI recently on Newton's travels from Fla to Blinn to Auburn. One thing I found odd was that when it was between Miss St. and Auburn, Newton says he could not decide and told his Dad to make the decision for him.

Hmmmmmm.

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 08:01 PM
Could we get in trouble if he asked but we didn't bite, then didn't report it?

I have no idea if we could. It would sure look bad though IMO, that's why I'm not buying it. Stoops doesn't **** around.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 08:04 PM
Here's a thread started two weeks ago on the Bama board inquiring into a large donation to Cam's father's church. Interesting.

http://sixpackspeak.yuku.com/topic/54130/t/Auburn-s-donation-to-Cam-Newton-s-father-s-church.html

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 08:05 PM
I have no idea if we could. It would sure look bad though IMO, that's why I'm not buying it. Stoops doesn't **** around.

This is why you don't criticize FSU for "ratting" on Balogun. If you see violations, you need a very consistent policy on dealing with the situation.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/4/2010, 08:09 PM
Why wasn't Newton suspended indefinitely immediately following MSU's notification of the ordeal? They never need proof to suspend a player! Look at Balogun..

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 08:09 PM
This is why you don't criticize FSU for "ratting" on Balogun. If you see violations, you need a very consistent policy on dealing with the situation.

Too bad that FSU got their info from the innerwebs.

Apples and Oranges.

Keep up the good work Leroy.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 08:42 PM
Here's a thread started two weeks ago on the Bama board inquiring into a large donation to Cam's father's church. Interesting.

http://sixpackspeak.yuku.com/topic/54130/t/Auburn-s-donation-to-Cam-Newton-s-father-s-church.html

does the ncaa have any right to ask for the church's records though?

JLEW1818
11/4/2010, 08:45 PM
i think they should. College football is bigger than church for most americans

Jacie
11/4/2010, 08:47 PM
So the story so far, a former MSU player, John Bond, was approached by one of his former MSU teammates, Kenny Rogers (hold the jokes, please) who asked that he be paid $180k to secure Cam Newton's commitment. Bond reported it to the MSU athletic department which declined the offer but continued to recruit Cam through the usual (NCAA approved) means.

Cam Newton went to Auburn, leading everyone to assume that they ponied up (not-so-veiled reference to SMU here) a sufficient amount of money to Rogers.

Since it was Rogers, according to Bond, who was asking for the money, then Cams dad, who has denied accepting anything, could be telling the truth. If this deal happened, it could be that neither Cam nor his family were paid anything.

That is why he is still playing. There is no evidence, unless the Newton's suddenly are flush with cash, the trail of which would be easy to see, that he violated any NCAA rules.

Is this a reasonable outline of the case as it now stands?

Collier11
11/4/2010, 08:52 PM
NM

Collier11
11/4/2010, 08:52 PM
Looks like it was behind the scenes so far and if anything the school will get hammered but not Cam

Crimson Kid
11/4/2010, 08:53 PM
So his father owns a trucking company?

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 08:54 PM
But the sticking point is where did the church get the money for it's renovations. Also if you follow leroids links they mention a trucking company owned by Cams father that has received some new contracts

Collier11
11/4/2010, 08:56 PM
But it gets down to whether or not Cam knew about it or if it was done behind his back which is entirely possible, although probably not likely

JLEW1818
11/4/2010, 08:59 PM
put him in jail with Obama ... ?

they both basically stole from people

OUthunder
11/4/2010, 09:01 PM
Unless MSNBC reports the story as true, I'll never believe it. Glen Beck thinks that Cam helped stimulate the economy. :D

JLEW1818
11/4/2010, 09:02 PM
oh hells yeses. stimulate dat sheit!

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 09:05 PM
oh hells yeses. stimulate dat sheit!

http://danieldickey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/thats-what-she-said2.jpg

JLEW1818
11/4/2010, 09:09 PM

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 09:10 PM
Too bad that FSU got their info from the innerwebs.

Apples and Oranges.

Keep up the good work Leroy.

It is the job of the NCAA to investigate, not FSU.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 09:11 PM
does the ncaa have any right to ask for the church's records though?

Nope.

SunnySooner
11/4/2010, 09:20 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/16521011

Link to Chiziks comments about the situation with Cammy Boy. Doesn't look like he'll be riding the pine anytime soon.

yankee
11/4/2010, 09:46 PM
This would be key. It's common college football knowledge that OU has a better history of making a run for the championship compared to Auburn, so why pick Auburn? The article later mentions that his dad made the decision for him. Fine, his dad wants what's best for his son. But, OU, just a few months earlier, produced the #1 draft pick for the NFL, with record breaking pay. So, again...why pick Auburn?!

Probably Stoops kicked him out after asking how much he is willing to offer for his services. Stoops: "How about the middle finger, and a get the f*@k out"

he probably signed with auburn because the tigers didn't have landry jones coming back as their QB. and hopefully because they offered money, and OU did not.

soonergirlNeugene
11/4/2010, 09:52 PM
http://www.vimeo.com/16521011

Link to Chiziks comments about the situation with Cammy Boy. Doesn't look like he'll be riding the pine anytime soon.

"Cam Newton is eligible at Auburn University." Kind of a non-statement really.

85sooners
11/4/2010, 09:52 PM
:pop:

yermom
11/4/2010, 09:56 PM
Auburn is probably better off just letting him play

they can either lose, or maybe vacate upcoming wins

mehip
11/4/2010, 10:19 PM
Depends on the family. There are families that pick their kids' marriage partners. Who are we to say it's wrong?

You've stumbled onto the concept/meme coined by David Brin called "Otherness" (http://www.crackaddict.com/~nalgas/David_Brin-Dogma_of_Otherness_Intro.html) I've always thought this is a fun/compelling argument.

Collier11
11/4/2010, 10:28 PM
Well Auburn released a statement saying that they already knew about everything, based on that they think they are innocent or they are just gonna go for the title and then take the hammering from the ncaa afterwards

VA Sooner
11/4/2010, 10:30 PM
Should be interesting over the next few days/weeks.

Fraggle145
11/4/2010, 10:36 PM
Auburn is probably better off just letting him play

they can either lose, or maybe vacate upcoming wins

Repeat the USC mantra... We know what happened on the field and they cant change that.

How's that working out for them? Muaha. :P

slh1234
11/4/2010, 10:39 PM
Way too early to draw any conclusions. Cam may have been complicit, or it may have been an agent with an eye for opportunity to make a quick buck. Right now, it's a matter of who you want to believe among the rumor flying around. It's not surprising that so many Sooner fans want to believe that Cam did something crooked since Auburn is a contender right now. It's a bit surprising that so many people believe without even questioning so soon after incidents like Duke Lacrosse, or Lance Armstrong ... but then, emotion always provides you with a "logical" reason to believe what you want to believe without questioning too carefully.

He may wind up being guilty, but right now, there is nothing but rumors to help you believe what you want to believe.

Tigeman
11/4/2010, 10:40 PM
They (Mississippi State) just don't have all the moving parts. Cam was going to have to be the star. He'd have to do everything himself. I didn't want him to be a rented mule.

How fitting!

Tigeman
11/4/2010, 10:45 PM
Apparently I'm not the only one that "knows stuff"

This from Herbie on ESPN Radio

It's to early to say but talking to sources it's going to get really bad for Auburn in the end....Cam will go on to the NFL after the season and could careless what happens...Auburn will be the school that will get hammered for this and if some of the things being said comes out to be true and Auburn knew and paid for Newton and it sure seems to be smoke there...you will be talking about killing off a program for the next 10yrs the way the NCAA will hammer them

ThinMan
11/4/2010, 11:19 PM
Very interesting stuff.

Is stealing a laptop any worse than stealing gas, or a coat?

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 11:22 PM
Very interesting stuff.

Is stealing a laptop any worse than stealing gas, or a coat?

Yes, but it's still stealing.

Sooner Eclipse
11/5/2010, 01:10 AM
Apparently Daddy's church was trying to stave off demolition starting in summer of 08. Seems he's found the cash to fix it.

Extension for completion of repairs on building threatened with demolition (http://www.times-herald.com/Local/Church-on-Temple-gets-more-time-to-meet-code-1144394)

Church leader now says he has cash on hand to complete repairs (http://www.times-herald.com/printerFriendly/Pastor-says-church-can-meet-building-code-within-6-months-862469)

Unsafe building cited (http://www.times-herald.com/Local/City-officials-to-close-unsafe-church-building--488318)

Crucifax Autumn
11/5/2010, 02:11 AM
This is great. And just in time to replace the CUC/Bush fun we've had for so many years.

TXBOOMER
11/5/2010, 07:40 AM
There are crooked deals going on at damn near every school, from supporters of programs not the actual school. Surely Auburn is not stupid enough to pay money or broker a deal to get him there. It is hard to police supporters, look at Big Red Imports. I think they should give these boys a little cash like a couple of hundred bucks a week (except for kickers..F Them!).

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:15 AM
Not reading 9 pages but I'll offer my 1/2 cent

Is the story true that some "representative" asked for cash? Probably
Is it true that Cam or his family was involved in this? Probably not

goingoneight
11/5/2010, 08:21 AM
What page on OP does this become OU's fault?

meoveryouxinfinity
11/5/2010, 08:22 AM
Not reading 9 pages but I'll offer my 1/2 cent

Is the story true that some "representative" asked for cash? Probably
Is it true that Cam or his family was involved in this? Probably not

That just doesn't make any sense. For one, why would cam need a "representative" if it wasn't for sleazy deals?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:22 AM
probably 2nd post

OUEngr1990
11/5/2010, 08:23 AM
I thought the going rate for QB's these days was 250k :confused:

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:23 AM
That just doesn't make any sense. For one, why would cam need a "representative" if it wasn't for sleazy deals?

the quotations are because he most likely wasn't really representing the family or Cam..I could call somebody and say I represent you...that doesn't mean much

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 08:29 AM
This whole thing has smelled funny from the beginning. The two people at the middle of this story were teammates at Miss. State 30 years ago. Something just doesn't add up.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 08:34 AM
yeah....people are saying it must be true because 3 guys from ESPN attached their names to the story...

I really think some guy may have done it....

Im gonna call Baylor and say I represent RG3 and he needs 300k to stay in school before OU plays em

btb916
11/5/2010, 09:06 AM
Heh. Lots of moralizing in this thread.

I don't know anything about Cam Newton really. What he's like as a person. What his background is. How he's changed and matured.

I do know that our NCAA system is a low down dirty shame. People all around me in my personal life say, "Pro athletes (and movie stars, and blah blah) get paid way too much to play a sport."

I just shake my head. What these guys do isn't necessarily important, in the sense of creating peace in the middle east. But they create jobs for hundreds of thousands of people (TV crews, stadium crews, media people, the list goes on). Without the athletes, there's nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They bring in everything in the business.

When someone brings in that much friggin money, you pay them handsomely. That's capitalism, pure and simple. And the NCAA is a scam IMO because these athletes generate so much money yet get scraps in return, ESPECIALLY when comparing to the coaches, ADs, BCS big wigs...

It's a tired argument. Everyone's heard it. But it's true and I will never think less of a kid for wanting to make money at what he's good at.

Not only that, we don't even know if this sh!t is true. The whole story seems suspect. I'm going to wait until there's more facts to even consider saying Cam Newton or his family actually had a role in this.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 09:27 AM

I don't know anything about Cam Newton really. What he's like as a person. What his background is. How he's changed and matured.

I do know that our NCAA system is a low down dirty shame. People all around me in my personal life say, "Pro athletes (and movie stars, and blah blah) get paid way too much to play a sport."

I just shake my head. What these guys do isn't necessarily important, in the sense of creating peace in the middle east. But they create jobs for hundreds of thousands of people (TV crews, stadium crews, media people, the list goes on). Without the athletes, there's nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. They bring in everything in the business.

When someone brings in that much friggin money, you pay them handsomely. That's capitalism, pure and simple. And the NCAA is a scam IMO because these athletes generate so much money yet get scraps in return, ESPECIALLY when comparing to the coaches, ADs, BCS big wigs...

It's a tired argument. Everyone's heard it. But it's true and I will never think less of a kid for wanting to make money at what he's good at.

Not only that, we don't even know if this sh!t is true. The whole story seems suspect. I'm going to wait until there's more facts to even consider saying Cam Newton or his family actually had a role in this.

If the NCAA was a corporation and the athletic departments were for-profit companies, you would have had a point. But they're not.

What blows your argument out of the water is the fact that the majority of athletic departments in this country lose money. In the real world, we shut down those companies.

The NCAA is not a sham; it's an organization of member institutions that writes its own rules and governs itself. And it does fine except for one problem: Too many people try to skirt its rules, forcing it to adopt Draconian measures to keep its rogue members in line.

Rocko
11/5/2010, 09:29 AM

Free education?

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 09:31 AM
Free education?

Means nothing if your world revolves around football.

fnulnu007
11/5/2010, 10:12 AM
I live here in Atlanta and I can tell you that there is something to this story. They originally wanted $200K but told Miss St that they would give them a 10% discount because he did want to play for Mullen. Miss St turned them down and all of a sudden he goes to Auburn. Now another note to the story is that in Newnan, GA his Dad's church was ordered to be demolished because it was in such disrepair and then all of the sudden they get this money out of nowhere to do a COMPLETE renovation. On top of that, his Dad's church received the money for the renovation around the same time he committed to Auburn. This is going to get ugly. But people around Atlanta have been talking about this for months.

soonerboomer93
11/5/2010, 10:16 AM
yeah....people are saying it must be true because 3 guys from ESPN attached their names to the story...

I really think some guy may have done it....

Im gonna call Baylor and say I represent RG3 and he needs 300k to stay in school before OU plays em

**** that, I'm calling bevo and telling them I need 500k, or greg davis comes back next year

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:22 AM
There are crooked deals going on at damn near every school, from supporters of programs not the actual school. Surely Auburn is not stupid enough to pay money or broker a deal to get him there. It is hard to police supporters, look at Big Red Imports. I think they should give these boys a little cash like a couple of hundred bucks a week (except for kickers..F Them!).

Yeah...because a $40K to $45K/year education is not worth it.

I agree, they should get some spending cash, but that is what a job is for!

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:27 AM
Means nothing if your world revolves around football.

Not true at all. I wish you weren't so stupid and ignorant in these types of matters.

90% (and this figure is probably way low) of College Athletes in any sport, will never get paid from playing their sport. In other words they do care about their education. So if they get it for free, many of them take very good advantage of that free education.

fadada1
11/5/2010, 10:36 AM
What page on OP does this become OU's fault?:D :D

f-ing gooners.

SoonerPr8r
11/5/2010, 10:40 AM
Here is what I have learned from the last 9 pages....people on this board will argue with Leroy if he says the sky is blue

oumartin
11/5/2010, 10:44 AM
Here is what I have learned from the last 9 pages....people on this board will argue with Leroy if he says the sky is blue

No, Leroy will argue with anyone if they said the sky is blue.

sooner518
11/5/2010, 10:47 AM
I live here in Atlanta and I can tell you that there is something to this story. They originally wanted $200K but told Miss St that they would give them a 10% discount because he did want to play for Mullen. Miss St turned them down and all of a sudden he goes to Auburn. Now another note to the story is that in Newnan, GA his Dad's church was ordered to be demolished because it was in such disrepair and then all of the sudden they get this money out of nowhere to do a COMPLETE renovation. On top of that, his Dad's church received the money for the renovation around the same time he committed to Auburn. This is going to get ugly. But people around Atlanta have been talking about this for months.

sweet. thank you for this completely new information that has definitely not been talked about ad nauseum for the last 9 pages of this thread.

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 10:51 AM
I live 60 miles from Starkville, and I have it on very good authority that I just don't give a ****.

You can believe that! :texan:

Oldnslo
11/5/2010, 10:59 AM
The sky is BLUE!

AlbqSooner
11/5/2010, 11:17 AM

Attention fellow posters. I represent the interests of meoveryouxinfinity. For a payment of $300K I can get you a date with her.;) PM me for wire transfer instructions.

Please note, she is not aware that I represent her interests.:)

AlbqSooner
11/5/2010, 11:24 AM
As far as dealing with theives, let me relate MY experience. Many years ago (read 'the statute of limitations has run') My place was burglarized. They took mostly small stuff, some money, and my stash of pot.:mad:

I reported the burglary to the cops, but left a couple items off the list of things I could identify as missing. About 4-5 weeks later they hit me again. This time taking my stereo, my grandad's pocket watch, and - yep, my stash of pot.:mad: :mad:

I kinda suspected that they would be back again, so, along with my stash of pot I placed one of those tiny bottles that often contained cocaine backinaday. However, I did not want to spend the money on cocaine, so I took a plate and a razor and very finely chopped up a bunch of drano which i then deposited in said tiny jar.

3-4 weeks later I was burglarized for the third time. The tiny jar was missing, and I never again was burgled as long as I lived there.:D :D

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 11:27 AM
As far as dealing with theives, let me relate MY experience. Many years ago (read 'the statute of limitations has run') My place was burglarized. They took mostly small stuff, some money, and my stash of pot.:mad:

I reported the burglary to the cops, but left a couple items off the list of things I could identify as missing. About 4-5 weeks later they hit me again. This time taking my stereo, my grandad's pocket watch, and - yep, my stash of pot.:mad: :mad:

I kinda suspected that they would be back again, so, along with my stash of pot I placed one of those tiny bottles that often contained cocaine backinaday. However, I did not want to spend the money on cocaine, so I took a plate and a razor and very finely chopped up a bunch of drano which i then deposited in said tiny jar.

3-4 weeks later I was burglarized for the third time. The tiny jar was missing, and I never again was burgled as long as I lived there.:D :D

Drano weed doesn't affect thiefs, they do PCP all the time anyways. :P

AlbqSooner
11/5/2010, 11:28 AM
Drano weed doesn't affect thiefs, they do PCP all the time anyways. :P

I doubt many of them snort a big line of drano.

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 11:32 AM
I doubt many of them snort a big line of drano.

That's even worse. I was under the impression that you sprinkled it on the green for them to smoke. Ouch, suprised that didn't **** them off enough to come back and break in again.

AlbqSooner
11/5/2010, 11:36 AM
That's even worse. I was under the impression that you sprinkled it on the green for them to smoke. Ouch, suprised that didn't **** them off enough to come back and break in again.

If the stuff I stole from somewhere caused my nose to fall off I don't think I would want anything else from that place.

Jacie
11/5/2010, 11:43 AM
They didn't come back because they were dead . . .

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 11:45 AM
Not true at all. I wish you weren't so stupid and ignorant in these types of matters.

90% (and this figure is probably way low) of College Athletes in any sport, will never get paid from playing their sport. In other words they do care about their education. So if they get it for free, many of them take very good advantage of that free education.

You, like, totally misread my post. I was talking about those fans that only care about football. In no way did I suggest that college football players cared nothing about education. In fact, in the playoff threads I have repeatedly pointed out that college football players are not just in it for the sports.

#%&^%!!!

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 11:49 AM
No, Leroy will argue with anyone if they said the sky is blue.

No, SoonerPr8r has it right. When people see my posts, they immediately go into "It's Leroy. I must disagree!!! And when disagreeing, I must insult him as much as possible!"

If I wished someone in here a happy birthday, they would complain. That's just the way it is. And I really don't care.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 11:53 AM
Attention fellow posters. I represent the interests of meoveryouxinfinity. For a payment of $300K I can get you a date with her.;) PM me for wire transfer instructions.

Please note, she is not aware that I represent her interests.:)

Do I look desperate?

Don't answer that question!!! :O

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 11:53 AM
No, SoonerPr8r has it right. When people see my posts, they immediately go into "It's Leroy. I must disagree!!! And when disagreeing, I must insult him as much as possible!"

If I wished someone in here a happy birthday, they would complain. That's just the way it is. And I really don't care.

Have you actually wished anyone a happy birthday here? ;)

Oldnslo
11/5/2010, 11:55 AM

Dude, my birthday came and went. You didn't say ****.

badger
11/5/2010, 12:10 PM
OK, I know most of you have a certain perception of certain schools and conferences as far as paying players, but I want you all to step back and consider the following question:

Why wouldn't Cam take money to play at Auburn?

Many of you already assume that he has, given the information that a person associated with Cam asked for money from Mississippi State and that money had apparently been asked from OU as well. Also, consider this:

Did Cam really get $200,000 from Auburn?

Step back a second. You have to consider these possibilities before completely writing Cam Newton off as a cheater and a fraud of a college football player. The Boston Herald reporter made this fatal mistake when he heard that the Patriots recorded the Rams walkthrough before the Super Bowl and never questioned that as reality.

Here's my theories:

Cam Newton did not take $200,000 because he was blackmailed by Mississippi State once his associate demanded money and threatened to turn him in.

This is the only plausible scenario I can see as Cam Newton and his family not taking money at this point. If this associate danced around demanding six figures, then someone will step up and say "We're turning you in if you sign elsewhere." He signed elsewhere at another school in the same conference... the same division in the same conference. Now this info is coming out. Coincidence? It might have been safer to accept no money after that blackmail threat than to have that hanging over Cam's head and college eligibility.

Cam Newton was promised $200,000, but his family/associate has received nowhere near that amount.

Think back to the Sports Illustrated article. The agent wouldn't give the entire amount asked at once, or there'd be no incentive to stay in contact. I think if someone associated with Auburn is paying the Newton family, an associate, or Newton himself, it is like an allowance... and it's probably based on how well Auburn does and how well Cam plays. If this is how it's going, I bet Cam is getting a very high allowance of sorts... but I doubt they would throw six figures immediately at him without him stepping on the field and showing how good he is.

So... thoughts? Why else would Cam not accept money, and do you really believe that a school/boosters would throw six figures at a player just for signing, or wouldn't they just draw it out longer to keep him motivated and possibly to get him to stay in school longer?

Soonermagik
11/5/2010, 12:13 PM
The sky is BLUE!

Water is wet.

Rocko
11/5/2010, 12:23 PM
Water is wet.

No, wetness is water.

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 12:31 PM
Cam Newton was promised $200,000, but his family/associate has received nowhere near that amount.

Think back to the Sports Illustrated article. The agent wouldn't give the entire amount asked at once, or there'd be no incentive to stay in contact. I think if someone associated with Auburn is paying the Newton family, an associate, or Newton himself, it is like an allowance... and it's probably based on how well Auburn does and how well Cam plays. If this is how it's going, I bet Cam is getting a very high allowance of sorts... but I doubt they would throw six figures immediately at him without him stepping on the field and showing how good he is.

So... thoughts? Why else would Cam not accept money, and do you really believe that a school/boosters would throw six figures at a player just for signing, or wouldn't they just draw it out longer to keep him motivated and possibly to get him to stay in school longer?

It would make more sense if they payed in pieces and not all upfront. But that's not why a lot people think he did it. Because of his dad's church's renovations, they may have had to been paid up front or promised certain services in terms of renovation to the church. So he might be getting paid an allowance why the bulk went to the church, or maybe he's not getting paid at all and it went to the church. Or maybe this story is all crap, who knows?

Soonermagik
11/5/2010, 12:47 PM
No, wetness is water.

Reverse!!

olevetonahill
11/5/2010, 12:49 PM

Wrong again Leroid,I dont disagree with every post you make . Actually some make perfect sense, Most dont tho
Its kinda like Puttin a cup of pure sparkling water in one side of a double sink. while the other side holds dirty dish water
Hold a cup under the drain and pull both plugs at the same time, then try to get ya a drink from what runs out, It just aint gonna werk to well.;)

85sooners
11/5/2010, 12:54 PM

badger
11/5/2010, 12:55 PM
It would make more sense if they payed in pieces and not all upfront. But that's not why a lot people think he did it. Because of his dad's church's renovations, they may have had to been paid up front or promised certain services in terms of renovation to the church. So he might be getting paid an allowance why the bulk went to the church, or maybe he's not getting paid at all and it went to the church. Or maybe this story is all crap, who knows?

It's probably easy to write any money the church receives as standing tithing, so it is probably easy for the Newtons to make a profit off poor Auburn fans dying to have anywhere near the level of success their Bammer counterparts have had lately.

But... if this is true, the Newtons better hope their star quarterback continues playing well, because the fanbase passionate enough to front that much money out of a player will probably not look too kindly on not receiving a good return on their investment.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 12:56 PM
Nothing like a signed piece of memorabilia....

http://www.soggyhead.com/Cookie/fig_newton.jpg

diegosooner
11/5/2010, 12:58 PM
no doubt, the guy's a stud.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 12:59 PM

Self-deprecation is the act of belittling or undervaluing oneself. Self-deprecating speech and thoughts can be indicative of low self-esteem, and both are commonly associated with major depressive disorder.

I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with you...nor am I stalking you....just trying to help a guy who's on Sabbatical. :D

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 01:02 PM
Wrong again Leroid,I dont disagree with every post you make . Actually some make perfect sense, Most dont tho
Its kinda like Puttin a cup of pure sparkling water in one side of a double sink. while the other side holds dirty dish water
Hold a cup under the drain and pull both plugs at the same time, then try to get ya a drink from what runs out, It just aint gonna werk to well.;)

Now that is one convoluted lesson. :D

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 01:02 PM
It's probably easy to write any money the church receives as standing tithing, so it is probably easy for the Newtons to make a profit off poor Auburn fans dying to have anywhere near the level of success their Bammer counterparts have had lately.

But... if this is true, the Newtons better hope their star quarterback continues playing well, because the fanbase passionate enough to front that much money out of a player will probably not look too kindly on not receiving a good return on their investment.

So lets say he isn't getting any money to spend, the only money recieved was the stuff that went to the church. If it came from a random booster, could the NCAA do anything about that? Would that just be a generous donation from a fan to the starting QB's dad's church?

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 01:04 PM
Self-deprecation is the act of belittling or undervaluing oneself. Self-deprecating speech and thoughts can be indicative of low self-esteem, and both are commonly associated with major depressive disorder.

I see we are now being graced with the presence of Sigmund Freud.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:05 PM

:D That's actually pretty funny....I think you are coming around a bit.

badger
11/5/2010, 01:07 PM
So lets say he isn't getting any money to spend, the only money recieved was the stuff that went to the church. If it came from a random booster, could the NCAA do anything about that? Would that just be a generous donation from a fan to the starting QB's dad's church?

Oh, absolutely they could if it could be proven. However, if I had to just continue throwing out wild guesses, one guess would be that the Tebows' missionary work during his four-year career there received many more generous donations than they had before he went to Florida... and you don't see the NCAA cracking down on that.

If nothing happens, at least we can all say "At least the money went to a church." It's not like it went to the Bush family mansion and bling bling.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 01:08 PM

Depends on whether the money was tied to the players' involvement with the school. Giving the money to the parents does nothing to alleviate the situation in the NCAA's eyes.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 01:09 PM
Oh, absolutely they could if it could be proven. However, if I had to just continue throwing out wild guesses, one guess would be that the Tebows' missionary work during his four-year career there received many more generous donations than they had before he went to Florida... and you don't see the NCAA cracking down on that.

If nothing happens, at least we can all say "At least the money went to a church." It's not like it went to the Bush family mansion and bling bling.

True. But the bigger problem would remain that another school could have enjoyed the benefits of Cam's football skills, but isn't because it played by the rules.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:14 PM
Didn't players used to grow up dreaming to play at places they had grown up around and be proud to have been a part of something special instead of going around promoting their greatness to the highest bidder?

I seem to remember a guy who did.

I think it was awesome....

http://www.sportsosphere.com/pics/sam_bradford_heisman.gif

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 01:17 PM

True, but any pastor who is willing to put his son at risk of getting in trouble just to make his church nice seems a bit non-pastor like. Probably one of them crazy pastors like Obama's.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 01:26 PM
True, but any pastor who is willing to put his son at risk of getting in trouble just to make his church nice seems a bit non-pastor like. Probably one of them crazy pastors like Obama's.

I am sure he isn't quite that crazy.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:47 PM

It does seem like there might have been an agenda on some folks part.

Oldnslo
11/5/2010, 01:55 PM

and that man is a DOCTOR!

(personal story: we're at my grandma's funeral. a distant cousin, Boris, says loudly, "I've only got one son. But, he's a DOCTOR!" This statement was made as he was standing next to his daughter. Oh, the doctor-son? He was a tool, too. Ophthalmologist. whatevs).

badger
11/5/2010, 01:56 PM

Hopefully he didn't cite Genesis and say "Abraham was willing to sacrifice his only son to God, so I should sacrifice my son's football career."

btw, I just lurked at OP.com - every few pages they're mentioning that we were in the running for Cameron Newton. I would like to remind any lurkers that

a) He went to three schools - Florida, Auburn and a juco. NOT Oklahoma

b) We already have Landry Jones, recruited a top QB in Blake Bell and already have Drew Allen, another top prospect. Our interest in Cam was not that great, considering. Finally:

c) All rumors and speculation at this point. Stop wishing bad things on us and thinking bad thoughts about us. Seriously. Baylor is your opponent this week.

BetterSoonerThanLater
11/5/2010, 02:17 PM
Not saying it won't. Just reminding you guys who are defending thiefs that it sucks and it is a big deal. What if me or my gf was home when that guy stole my stuff? I could have been hurt. People always say that if nobody got hurt it's ok. Losing $2000 dollars of stuff you have collected over the years is ****ty and hard financially to replace.

i guess you just forgot to add that your gf could have been hurt as well, right?

i guess chivalry is dead....;)

3rdgensooner
11/5/2010, 02:38 PM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/583513/itsawonderfulheist_medium.gif

badger
11/5/2010, 02:54 PM
hark the herald angels sing glory to the newborn king!
http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/CharlieBrownChristmas.jpg

dwarthog
11/5/2010, 02:59 PM
Didn't players used to grow up dreaming to play at places they had grown up around and be proud to have been a part of something special instead of going around promoting their greatness to the highest bidder?

I seem to remember a guy who did.

I think it was awesome....

http://www.sportsosphere.com/pics/sam_bradford_heisman.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sadly this seems to be more of the exception than the rule in this day and time.

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:30 PM
lol did freek put drew rosenhaus in that?

Mad Dog Madsen
11/5/2010, 03:30 PM
I don't see us being among the schools to pay $200k for Cam Cam, not when we have Landry Jones returning.

Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud. :D

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:32 PM
Sorry, but that made me laugh out loud. :D

:rolleyes: when will you all learn

Mad Dog Madsen
11/5/2010, 03:35 PM
Prolly when I get 22,000 posts. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/5/2010, 03:38 PM
oh he don't know nuthin

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:40 PM
Prolly when I get 22,000 posts. :D

that doesnt prove my knowledge, just how much I drink :D

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:41 PM
oh he don't know nuthin

I know that you got a perty mouf

Mad Dog Madsen
11/5/2010, 03:47 PM
I know that you got a perty mouf

http://www.changeyourmind.ltd.uk/media/mouth_cancer_cr.jpg

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:48 PM
Interesting, apparently Auburn never had contact with this Rogers guy. It's quite possible that this story could be one of two things.

Source A made it up as a way of explaining how MSU didn't get Newton. Or, that Rogers saw Newton as a chance to stick up his alma mater for a quick buck.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:50 PM
well Herbie implied that there is a big time smoking gun but based on everything that has been released, there really isnt much there other than a greedy guy trying to get money who got rejected

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:57 PM
yeah but Herbie implied that Leslie Miles was going to ditch LSU on the eve of the SEC CCG in 2007 to go to Ann Arbor.

crabshack
11/5/2010, 04:46 PM
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/5199/showmethemoney.gif

fnulnu007
11/5/2010, 06:26 PM
sweet. thank you for this completely new information that has definitely not been talked about ad nauseum for the last 9 pages of this thread.

The point is that this is not NEW! People here in Atlanta have known about this for months and no matter what Auburn says, somebody paid the kid.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 06:38 PM
If you knew about it, why not post the info somewhere, im not buying

slh1234
11/5/2010, 09:18 PM
The point is that this is not NEW! People here in Atlanta have known about this for months and no matter what Auburn says, somebody paid the kid.

I'm always amazed at what people "know" or "knew" ... especially the 99% of the time that it turns out to be wrong.

slh1234
11/5/2010, 09:23 PM

I am neither agreeing or disagreeing with you...nor am I stalking you....just trying to help a guy who's on Sabbatical. :D

By any chance, were you that woman that sat beside me in a bar a while back and went nuts when I said she probably correctly guessed what company I worked for because I had that "nerdy look?" She made me regret ever making the "self deprecating" joke because she seemed to spend the rest of the evening concentrating on my self esteem and trying to bring me up.

Personally, I don't mind a self deprecating joke here and there ... I'm quite confident in who I am and where it has taken me in life. I'm confident that a joke at my own expense costs me nothing really. All I was doing was trying to have a dinnertime conversation while on the road and watching a ball game ... good a way as any to pass an evening on the road.

Is that indicative of a major depressive disorder? :)

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 11:39 PM
By any chance, were you that woman that sat beside me in a bar a while back and went nuts when I said she probably correctly guessed what company I worked for because I had that "nerdy look?" She made me regret ever making the "self deprecating" joke because she seemed to spend the rest of the evening concentrating on my self esteem and trying to bring me up.

Personally, I don't mind a self deprecating joke here and there ... I'm quite confident in who I am and where it has taken me in life. I'm confident that a joke at my own expense costs me nothing really. All I was doing was trying to have a dinnertime conversation while on the road and watching a ball game ... good a way as any to pass an evening on the road.

Is that indicative of a major depressive disorder? :)

You might need to lie down, as StoopTroup has some questions for you.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 11:53 PM
You shoulda banged her instead of talk to leroid.

SoonerMom2
11/6/2010, 02:18 AM
All you had to know is that Urban Meyer got rid of him which means there was probably more than a laptop involved since he has a low threshhold for thugs they have to meet to stay on the team.

Leroy Lizard
11/6/2010, 02:34 AM
All you had to know is that Urban Meyer got rid of him which means there was probably more than a laptop involved since he has a low threshhold for thugs they have to meet to stay on the team.

I'm not so sure that Urban has been any more lenient than anyone else. It seems that college coaches everywhere are more than willing to look aside if they think the player can help them win.

For example, is the coach at Auburn any more strict? After all, he took Cam in when Urban kicked him out. And MSU was willing to take him in.

Scott D
11/6/2010, 11:37 AM

Actually, it seems that Urban didn't get rid of him, but rather he and his family decided that sitting behind Tebow and having to fight Brantley for the job wasn't in his best interest.

aero
11/9/2010, 10:41 AM
From espn article:

"I haven't done anything wrong," Newton said. "I'm an Auburn athlete, and I'm still playing for Auburn. I love Auburn, and that's all I've got to say."

sounds like a pretty firm denial and alibi to me

Scott D
11/9/2010, 10:42 AM
Apparently now Newton's Florida past may be coming back to haunt him.

3rdgensooner
11/9/2010, 10:47 AM
Apparently now Newton's Florida past may be coming back to haunt him.Yep.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5783051

jkjsooner
11/9/2010, 11:09 AM
Man cheating is one thing. Screwing over a fellow student by putting your name on his work is another.

badger
11/9/2010, 11:15 AM
So, which one of these is true?

1- Florida and Miss State are hell bent on ensuring that Auburn doesn't climb outta the gutter in the competitive SEC.

2- The stolen laptop Cam Cam had was no ordinary laptop, but contained Grade-A papers for the rest of his semester's classes.

sooner59
11/9/2010, 11:16 AM
Vince Young was stupid, but at least he (as far as we know) wasn't accused of cheating academically on multiple occasions.