PDA

View Full Version : Cam newton in trouble?

Pages : 1 [2]

badger
11/9/2010, 11:19 AM
Vince Young was stupid, but at least he (as far as we know) wasn't accused of cheating academically on multiple occasions.

Texas probably invented a phony major for him that involved taking finger painting and computer game classes.

sooner59
11/9/2010, 11:21 AM
Heh. Like Vince knows how to use a computer. :rolleyes:

Cinco Ranch Cougar
11/9/2010, 11:52 AM
If they look much further they will in all likelihood find out the truth - That Cam Newton is guilty of this and much more.
There is way too much on the surface to think there isn't a whole bunch just waiting to come out.
Assuming they pursue this further, then he is done.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 11:59 AM
Heres the deal, something that may or may not have happened 2 years ago has zero relevance, why is it being brought up except for blatant character assassination?

The only thing that matters is if he took this $ or not...

On another note, anyone find it hypocritical that ESPN is going after Newton so hard but rarely said a peep about Bush?

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2010, 12:13 PM
Heres the deal, something that may or may not have happened 2 years ago has zero relevance...

So if I steal someone's stuff, two years from now I expect everyone to simply forget about it? The fact that I stole says nothing about my character?

And what's this "may or may not have happened?"

cccasooner2
11/9/2010, 12:18 PM
On another note, anyone find it hypocritical that ESPN is going after Newton so hard but rarely said a peep about Bush?

Not me; I like politicians and everything the d*bags stand for, namely themselves. :rolleyes:

diegosooner
11/9/2010, 12:41 PM
Too bad - such a talent.

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 12:43 PM
Heh. Like Vince knows how to use a computer. :rolleyes:

tee hee

AggieGirl2005
11/9/2010, 12:44 PM
Too bad - such a talent.

This is how I feel, quite honestly. I'm a fan of the game and I love to see a good talent. I hate to see it go to waste.

Leroy Lizard
11/9/2010, 12:51 PM
Since leaving UT Vince is taking computer classes. Here was his first day's lesson:

http://www.computershy.com/ipod-burn-cd.jpg

NormanPride
11/9/2010, 01:35 PM
Heres the deal, something that may or may not have happened 2 years ago has zero relevance, why is it being brought up except for blatant character assassination?

They downplayed Bush because Yahoo! scooped the hell out of them and they didn't want to have to cite another news source.

badger
11/9/2010, 01:51 PM
Since leaving UT Vince is taking computer classes.

He received an A-minus as opposed to an A because he thought the disc tray was a beer holder.

yermom
11/9/2010, 01:58 PM

if that laptop was more than theft, that seems like it could be a whole other issue

Scott D
11/9/2010, 02:09 PM
Collier is referring to the academic stuff, the laptop isn't something that wasn't mentioned previously to this week.

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:19 PM
i'm linking them like Badger :D

but if he was cheating, that seems like it could be an eligibility issue, as opposed to the other junk that's criminal. i'm not sure how that carries over though.

Scott D
11/9/2010, 02:22 PM
pretty sure academic fraud to the degree that was insinuated here would get most people expelled...as the story made it out to be that Newton was probably on the verge of being expelled.

Leroy will just say that the stealing was the gateway to the cheating, and that we'll find out that Newton murdered someone while in Gainsville next week.

3rdgensooner
11/9/2010, 02:23 PM
I'm enjoying watching him play. He's a great athlete.

If the multiple cheating stories are true, they say almost as much about UF as they do about Cam.

Assuming he's not completely flawed, he'll likely be successful at the next level, regardless of the college-level shenanigans.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 02:23 PM
He woulda had to have been academically eligible for Auburn to admit him, I dont think academics are an issue

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:25 PM
yeah, but it could be that he was academically eligible because Florida was covering up his cheating

Frozen Sooner
11/9/2010, 02:27 PM
He woulda had to have been academically eligible for Auburn to admit him, I dont think academics are an issue

It IS Auburn.

Collier11
11/9/2010, 02:29 PM
:D

Collier11
11/9/2010, 02:29 PM
They downplayed Bush because Yahoo! scooped the hell out of them and they didn't want to have to cite another news source.

True but this story was out there forever before Yahoo scooped it...everyone knew about it accept the Worldwide leader in sports

cleller
11/9/2010, 02:41 PM
Stealing, lying, cheating, no loyalty. But the NFL will soon make him a multi-millionaire.

3rdgensooner
11/9/2010, 02:50 PM
I just realized that Auburn is a land-grant college.

I can't believe I didn't know they were aggies.

yermom
11/9/2010, 02:54 PM
land grant? check.

orange? check.

sorry, can't root for Auburn :D

Mad Dog Madsen
11/9/2010, 02:58 PM
*SMH*

Tigeman
11/10/2010, 12:49 AM
Well here we go folks.... solid proof ... finally! :rolleyes::D

http://www.offshoreinsiders.com/index.php?Page=Articles&ArticleID=11588

While admitting the information comes to him second-hand—essentially a trusted source of a trusted source—Grandmaster Sports Handicapper Joe Duffy, CEO of OffshoreInsiders.com (http://offshoreinsiders.com/index.php?PageID=1), the top sports betting site in the world says that the Cam Newton investigation has turned up serious smoking guns to the point where an Auburn compliance officer has said that the Tigers need to cut ties now.

Predicted Duffy, “From everything I’ve been told, I doubt of Newton makes it to the Iron Bowl.” Why do people even report second hand info? Ughhh, at least my statements early on were direct!

Speaking of my statements early on....did anyone else notice Bob kind of studder for a second today when asked if he noticed anything strange w/ Cam's Recruitment? "Uhhhhh uhhhhh, no, nothing at all" :rolleyes:

Collier11
11/10/2010, 12:54 AM
arent you reporting 2nd hand info...er, sorry, that would be 3rd hand :D

Tigeman
11/10/2010, 01:13 AM
HAHAHA!

Nah, Wasn't really reporting that. Was just making fun of that info/site.

Now the info I posted early on was 1st hand, but if you guys passed it on, then it would be 2nd hand :P:D

Tigeman
11/10/2010, 01:34 AM
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/2503/makemoneywithauburn.gif

yermom
11/10/2010, 02:03 AM
does LSUFreek ever stop? :D

SOONER44EVER
11/10/2010, 02:28 AM
I remember Driscoll's field had little holes with pieces of galvanized pipe sticking up out of them. OUCH!!

ouflak
11/10/2010, 07:30 AM
Latest Yahoo article. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=At.4DGpqvmZlkT4gdFqlr1McvrYF?slug=ap-t25-auburn-newton)

Meanwhile, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops, who also recruited Newton out of Blinn, said he saw “nothing at all” out of the ordinary during that process.

“Our recruitment of Cameron could not have been better, or was just fine,” Stoops said. “I didn’t notice anything and none of our coaches did as we were recruiting him.”

SoonerAtKU
11/10/2010, 09:50 AM
Does anyone worry that some of the stories might have been true about what happened at OU during Newton's recruitment? Obviously not that we offered money, but that Newton or someone involved asked for it and Bob told them to pound sand.

Could that be a problem if the staff didn't report it as a potential issue as MSU apparently did?

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 10:09 AM
I don't think it's a problem if we don't report a non-violation...

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 10:23 AM
Dunno if this is posted yet, but it's the latest from ESPN:

Sources: Cam Newton and father admitted in phone conversations that money would determine college choice
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

yermom
11/10/2010, 10:44 AM
that's not enough though is it?

Mike Reed left OU because of "money"

i'm not saying he was shady, but who knows what financial situation the Newtons are in. maybe for whatever reason his support structure is better at Auburn

now with the other stuff about $180k, it looks real bad, but i don't think that's a nail in the coffin. certainly smoke though

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 10:58 AM
How can that possibly be construed as support structure? I mean, I know you're playing devil's advocate, but this is ridiculous.

yermom
11/10/2010, 11:04 AM
maybe he couldn't afford MSU because his babymama(s) wouldn't have a place to live or work in CrappyTown, Mississippi

(my apologies to Starkville, if it's nice, i've never been there :D)

OUMallen
11/10/2010, 11:19 AM
This smells filthy and his dad sounds like a POS.

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 11:27 AM
maybe he couldn't afford MSU because his babymama(s) wouldn't have a place to live or work in CrappyTown, Mississippi

Because Auburn is a mecca of financial prosperity and monetary opportunity, amirite? ;)

yermom
11/10/2010, 11:44 AM
his grandmother may live there for all i know

i'm not saying that is why he said what he said, just that it's not enough to get him suspended or something, most likely. look at what it took for USC to finally get caught

Frozen Sooner
11/10/2010, 11:47 AM
Because Auburn is a mecca of financial prosperity and monetary opportunity, amirite? ;)

Much as it pains me to say it, Auburn's actually a nice little town.

NormanPride
11/10/2010, 11:49 AM
It might be Vail in the Springtime all the time, but I'd say it's near 100% that he was talking about getting paid.

Mississippi Sooner
11/10/2010, 11:57 AM

No, it's really not. Picture Stoolwater without Eskimo Joe's.

yermom
11/10/2010, 12:00 PM
It might be Vail in the Springtime all the time, but I'd say it's near 100% that he was talking about getting paid.

oh yeah, in the court of public opinion. i'm saying it's not enough to actually burn him officially

badger
11/10/2010, 12:17 PM
Poor Awburn. They finally have a season where there's a chance of beating uppity Bammer and taking their first heisman since Bo Jackson and the barners can't even enjoy it and it might all come crashing down when it matters the most.

Well... at least they made it this far into the season undefeated.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/10/2010, 02:51 PM
What's the deal reported last night about Cam not being in good academic standing at UF before he left for Blinn?

badger
11/10/2010, 03:40 PM
What's the deal reported last night about Cam not being in good academic standing at UF before he left for Blinn?

What's the deal? Ummm... rumors and speculation at this point, but if we assume everything negative said about Cam Cam is true, he's done a lot en route to his Heisman-that-will-be-returned-after-retroactively-declared-ineligible :rolleyes:

Cam Newton was Timmy Teebz' backup at Florida. During his time as Timmy's backup, he buys a stolen laptop to do his homework on. When the police try to prevent Cam from doing his homework by reclaiming the laptop, Cam is so upset that he flings his completed assignments out the window.

So, now Cam needs to turn in his assignments, but they're busted along with Cameron's stolen laptop, so what does he do? Well, turns in his homework! It must be his, because you see, it has his name on it, even if it's the exact same text as another student's, or resembles that of a paper downloaded off the Internet.

On top of all of this, Teebz steals Cameron's chance at Gator glory by returning for his senior season and Florida is ready to expel Cameron for not turning in his stolen laptop assignments and turning in questionable other copies, see? So, we gotta go to community college.

And... something involving $200k and some SEC school. I think it was Alabama? They're the only SEC school in that state, right?

bent rider
11/10/2010, 04:38 PM
if that laptop was more than theft, that seems like it could be a whole other issue

He got his laptop from Jeremiah Masoli?

bent rider
11/10/2010, 04:42 PM
He received an A-minus as opposed to an A because he thought the disc tray was a beer holder.

Its not!!???

Leroy Lizard
11/10/2010, 06:58 PM
My feeling about it: A standup citizen who takes his academics seriously and is of reasonable character would not be having these stories told about him.

OUthunder
11/10/2010, 07:00 PM
Man, I hoped he and his father were clean, not looking to be the case right now.

85sooners
11/10/2010, 07:05 PM
:pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
11/11/2010, 10:14 AM
My feeling about it: A standup citizen who takes his academics seriously and is of reasonable character would not be having these stories told about him.

^^^ This.

People could have told stories about my drinking in college, but they couldn't tell stories about me not doing my own work or that I was anything but honorable in the classroom.

Collier11
11/11/2010, 10:43 AM
I hope he had nothing to do with it, it IS looking less and less like thats the case

olevetonahill
11/11/2010, 10:57 AM
I dont understand the Fascination some have with the Probs of other programs.
I hope the Kid is cleared of all this. The Only Time i watched anything like this close was the Bush/USC deal. and thats only cause I hate uSc ;)

CowboyMRW
11/15/2010, 08:32 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=108829

Sorry to link yall to all that orange that you hate but I thought that this was pretty funny in light of recent events

SoonerMom2
11/15/2010, 11:03 PM

Couldn't agree more! Also he left the FL program where a stolen laptop wouldn't have gotten him kicked off the team the way their players get in trouble and get a second, third, or fourth chance.

Leroy Lizard
11/16/2010, 12:37 AM
I dont understand the Fascination some have with the Probs of other programs.

It goes like this:

http://www.mras-law.com/great_car_wreck_o.jpg

HBick
11/17/2010, 06:47 PM
Looks like they have texts and voicemails now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5818428

Bill Bell, a Mississippi State booster and former player at the school, told the NCAA he received a text message from a man claiming to represent Cam Newton's father that outlined a payment plan designed to bring the quarterback to the Bulldogs.

Bell said former teammate Kenny Rogers told him Cecil Newton wanted money for his son to play at Mississippi State.

Newton
Newton

Bell told ESPN.com he also shared a series of voice mail messages from Rogers with the NCAA last week. Bell said Cecil Newton never specifically asked him for money, but that Newton was present during three-way calls in which Rogers discussed a pay-for-play scheme.

Bell said he told the NCAA that Rogers sent him a text message outlining a payment schedule. Bell said the text included a request for $80,000 the day after Cam Newton signed with Mississippi State, $50,000 after 30 days after that and another $50,000 30 days later.

"When he asked for it, it was like 'Bam!' " Bell said. "He told me this kid's dad is going to want money and the next day he sent me a text message. He didn't say anything other than 'This is what I want and I want it in three installments.'"

Bell said he kept Rogers' text message on his old cell phone, which was damaged by water, but he is currently trying to retrieve the text message through his cell service provider.

Bell also said he has recordings of several voice messages from Rogers, which he played for NCAA investigators.

"[Cecil Newton] didn't come out and say, 'I want $180,000,'" Bell said. "He inferred it and talked about it, but not directly. Kenny would talk about it in front of him, and [Cecil Newton] never corrected him or said, 'No, that's not what we're doing.'"

Bell said the initial contact to him was made by Rogers, who played football with Bell in college. But Bell, a Florida businessman, said he also had several conversations with Cecil Newton during his son's recruitment.

"He said it was going to take more than just a relationship with [Mississippi State coach] Dan Mullen and that Cam's relationship with Mullen wasn't what Mullen thought it was," Bell said. "That's when he said, 'Dan Mullen is going to have to put a smile on my face if he thinks he's going to get my son.'"

Bell said the reason he's providing details of the alleged scheme is because he wants to make sure everybody knows Mississippi State didn't break NCAA rules during its recruitment of Cam Newton, who has emerged as the Heisman Trophy front-runner in his first season at Auburn.

Rogers' attorney, Douglas Zeit, told ESPN.com on Wednesday: "As I understand it, that was the payment plan Cecil Newton was seeking."

Zeit said he did not know whether Cecil Newton participated in three-way calls with Rogers and Bell, but added, "I believe [Newton] was insistent the calls be made" seeking payment. Zeit confirmed that his client met Tuesday with NCAA enforcement representative Jackie Thurnes in person to discuss the Newton case. He said NCAA enforcement rep Marcus Wilson also participated in the interview via telephone.

Zeit said he also has been contacted by the office of Mississippi Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann seeking an interview with Rogers, but that hasn't happened yet.

No one answered the telephone at Cecil Newton's home in Atlanta on Wednesday.

Last Thursday, Rogers told ESPN 103.3 radio in Dallas that Cecil Newton told him it would take "anywhere between $100,000 and $180,000" for his son to play at Mississippi State.

Rogers said that on Nov. 28, 2009, he and Cecil Newton followed each other out of Starkville, Miss., after the Ole Miss-Mississippi State game. He said Newton asked him: "What do you think is going to happen? You think it's going to go through?"

Rogers said he was referred to Bell. Rogers said he left Bell a message telling him he was with Cecil Newton, who wanted to know if the deal was going to happen.

Auburn has contended that Newton is an "eligible student-athlete." Newton played in Auburn's 49-31 victory over Georgia last week.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn declined to discuss the specifics of the Newton allegations, but said in general that solicitation of benefits by a student-athlete's family is an NCAA violation. Osburn said the potential penalties for such a violation depend on multiple factors, including the "level of the benefit" being sought and the level of responsibility of the student-athlete.

Osburn said that if a university is not deemed culpable in such an instance, "then it is only a student-athlete eligibility issue." If a violation did occur and the athlete is ruled ineligible, he could appeal for reinstatement.

Osburn said the NCAA handles a high volume of eligibility cases -- "about 2,000 requests a year" -- but they are prioritized based on the next competition for the athlete in question. Since Newton is in the middle of his season, any potential reinstatement case involving him would be expedited.

Bell is the second former Mississippi State player who told ESPN.com that Newton's father was involved in soliciting money in November 2009.

John Bond, who played quarterback at Mississippi State on the same teams with Bell and Rogers, told ESPN.com last week that Rogers also contacted him about an alleged pay-for-play scheme. Bell and Bond have both talked with NCAA investigators, and Bond met Tuesday with FBI officials.

Rogers, whose relationship with Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross is under investigation by the NFL Players Association, was interviewed for several hours by NCAA investigators in Chicago on Tuesday.

Zeit told USA Today on Wednesday that Rogers made it clear that if anybody broke NCAA rules, it was Cecil Newton.

"Nobody's pointing a finger at Mississippi State for doing anything wrong," Zeit told USA Today. "And Kenny has said, 'I had no discussion with Auburn regarding Cam Newton or anybody affiliated with him.' He said, 'I don't know if Auburn has or has not done anything wrong.' He's not pointing a finger at them."

Instead, according to Zeit, Rogers was "pointing a finger direct squarely at the father."

Bell said he called Bond, his close friend, soon after Rogers asked him for money, and Bond informed Mississippi State officials of the pay-for-play scheme. Bell said he was told to stop talking to Cecil Newton and Rogers. Bell said he never talked to Cam Newton during the quarterback's recruitment.

"I've never been involved in paying anything for a player," Bell said. "I'm not that big of a booster. I told Kenny that Coach Mullen was personally handling the recruitment of Cam Newton and no one was going to pay them any money. Kenny said, 'Well, how about $100,000?'"

Newton, a junior from College Park, Ga., has led the No. 2 Tigers to an 11-0 record going into their showdown against Alabama (No. 11 BCS, No. 10 AP) in the Nov. 26 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Auburn will play No. 17 South Carolina in the Dec. 4 SEC championship game in Atlanta's Georgia Dome and can probably reach the Jan. 10 BCS National Championship Game in Glendale, Ariz., by winning two more games.

Friday, Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin acknowledged in a statement that the school "was approached with an offer to provide an extra benefit" and that the school refused.

Bell said Auburn's recruitment of Cam Newton was never discussed in any of his conversations with Cecil Newton and that he had no knowledge of any improprieties involving the Tigers.

Bell said he didn't even know who Cam Newton was when Rogers initially contacted him and that it was the first time he'd talked to Rogers since their playing days at Mississippi State.

"It was probably three phone calls or so before Kenny said, 'They're going to want money,'" Bell recalled. "It just seemed like he didn't know what he was doing, like it was the first time he'd ever done something like that. I really believe it was Mr. Newton asking Kenny to do it. I don't think it was Kenny's idea."

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:05 PM
At this point, is there anyone doubting that Cecil Newton was trying to get money in exchange for his son's commitment? Anyone at all?

soonercastor
11/17/2010, 07:12 PM
At this point, is there anyone doubting that Cecil Newton was trying to get money in exchange for his son's commitment? Anyone at all?

I don't know how credible Bill Bell and Kenny Rodgers are, because they said it happened doesn't mean it did. We've been hearing about these tapes for 2 weeks now, until they review the tapes and confirm it yes I still have doubt. How convenient was it that the phone was damaged in water.

Collier11
11/17/2010, 07:19 PM

Problem is, that isnt illegal by ncaa standards, only receiving money is. Did Cam know about it? If so, did his dad even get any $? Those are the questions that have to be answered

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:21 PM
Problem is, that isnt illegal by ncaa standards, only receiving money is.

I'll let you argue that one out with Stacey Osborn of the NCAA.

Collier11
11/17/2010, 07:22 PM
ncaa has already said that soliciting money isnt breaking rules if no money changed hands

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:25 PM
I don't know how credible Bill Bell and Kenny Rodgers are, because they said it happened doesn't mean it did. We've been hearing about these tapes for 2 weeks now, until they review the tapes and confirm it yes I still have doubt. How convenient was it that the phone was damaged in water.

It isn't just those two: John Bond is also making the same claim. And since he's willing to talk to the FBI, this constitutes far more than just loose talk.

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:27 PM
ncaa has already said that soliciting money isnt breaking rules if no money changed hands

Then Stacey has it wrong:

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn declined to discuss the specifics of the Newton allegations, but said in general that solicitation of benefits by a student-athlete's family is an NCAA violation. Osburn said the potential penalties for such a violation depend on multiple factors, including the "level of the benefit" being sought and the level of responsibility of the student-athlete.

Collier11
11/17/2010, 07:28 PM
Huh, they were talking on air the other day and said that the NCAA had confirmed that simply soliciting by the family isnt a violation, especially if the player had no knowledge or wasnt in on it...something like that

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:31 PM
Huh, they were talking on air the other day and said that the NCAA had confirmed that simply soliciting by the family isnt a violation, especially if the player had no knowledge or wasnt in on it...something like that

I cannot imagine the NCAA allowing a family to solicit money from potential programs.

Collier11
11/17/2010, 07:32 PM
I guess we will see, who knows what will even end up coming of this...especially since the SEC had knowledge of this back in January...makes you wonder

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:43 PM
I guess we will see, who knows what will even end up coming of this...especially since the SEC had knowledge of this back in January...makes you wonder

I haven't found much on the NCAA, but the SEC is very clear on the matter:

"If at any time before or after matriculation in a member institution a student-athlete or any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference (except such aid or assistance as such student-athlete may receive from those persons on whom the student is naturally or legally dependent for support), such student- athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career."

TMcGee86
11/17/2010, 07:47 PM

Yeah I have literally heard the exact opposite from almost everyone I've listened to.

All it takes is asking for money. The only thing that I have heard that may serve to get him off, especially in light of this new report, is that usually the solicitation has to be by a family member or someone representing the athlete.

If Cecil was smart enough to actually keep his mouth shut during all these convo's maybe he knew the rule and is banking on that getting him off.

Personally I still think he's f'd

soonercastor
11/17/2010, 07:49 PM

Osburn said that if a university is not deemed culpable in such an instance, "then it is only a student-athlete eligibility issue." If a violation did occur and the athlete is ruled ineligible, he could appeal for reinstatement.

I saw this.

TMcGee86
11/17/2010, 07:49 PM
I haven't found much on the NCAA, but the SEC is very clear on the matter:

"If at any time before or after matriculation in a member institution a student-athlete or any member of his/her family receives or agrees to receive, directly or indirectly, any aid or assistance beyond or in addition to that permitted by the Bylaws of this Conference (except such aid or assistance as such student-athlete may receive from those persons on whom the student is naturally or legally dependent for support), such student- athlete shall be ineligible for competition in any intercollegiate sport within the Conference for the remainder of his/her college career."

Key is probably "receives or agrees to receive". From what it sounds like, that never actually occurred in this case.

I don't know if demands to receive would fall under the same category but it certainly seems like it should.

Leroy Lizard
11/17/2010, 07:53 PM
Key is probably "receives or agrees to receive". From what it sounds like, that never actually occurred in this case.

I don't know if demands to receive would fall under the same category but it certainly seems like it should.

The NCAA is going to consider "agrees to receive" and "demands" as equivalent. After all, if you are demanding you are certainly agreeing to receive. If anything, demanding is more severe than merely agreeing to receive.

Tidefan36854
11/17/2010, 08:52 PM

Yes. Everyone in Auburn. They still continue to whistle past the graveyard. I've never seen anything like it. They continue to blame us, first and foremost, followed by MSU, UF, ESPN and the New York Times as a smear campaign to keep Cam from winning the Heisman and the MNC. They truly believe this.

If this were being reported about a Bama player, I would be terrified. Its not like they haven't had plenty of past NCAA trouble - even though they do it - those incidents were our fault too.

Tidefan36854
11/17/2010, 08:55 PM
The NCAA is going to consider "agrees to receive" and "demands" as equivalent. After all, if you are demanding you are certainly agreeing to receive. If anything, demanding is more severe than merely agreeing to receive.

Also according to NCAA rules, any illegal contact with an agent causes the player to be considered a professional. The NCAA could very well deem that Rogers worked in the capacity of an agent, which if the storys are true, that's pretty much what he was doing.

Scott D
11/17/2010, 09:50 PM
I have it on good authority that Gary Pettis asked Boise State for $25k to get Austin's signature on a LoI.

TMcGee86
11/18/2010, 12:08 PM

totally agree.

Cornfed
11/18/2010, 03:55 PM
I wonder if the MSU coaches would have reported had he went there?

Scott D
11/18/2010, 04:06 PM
I wonder if the MSU coaches would have reported had he went there?

Allegedly the reporting by these people did not deter the MSU coaches from their continuing to recruit Newton, so I'd say the only real difference is that we probably wouldn't have heard this story unless it either A) came from another SEC team source or B) was 3-4 years down the road when MSU thought it wouldn't hurt their program as much.

Mississippi Sooner
11/19/2010, 01:09 PM
http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx260/Skydawg/CamNewton.jpg

85sooners
11/19/2010, 01:36 PM
:D

sooner518
11/26/2010, 09:07 AM
I thought all of this was supposed to come to a head like a week ago.... whats the deal?

Tigeman
11/26/2010, 09:28 AM
I thought all of this was supposed to come to a head like a week ago.... whats the deal?

When have you ever known the ncaa to do anything quickly? But expect to c something b4 the SECcg. Especially if Auburn wins today.

And tidefan... I do find Auburn's reaction to this whole thing amusing. Its exactly as u described. Almost like the... Nothing to c here move along mentality

sooner518
11/26/2010, 09:45 AM
When have you ever known the ncaa to do anything quickly? But expect to c something b4 the SECcg. Especially if Auburn wins today.

And tidefan... I do find Auburn's reaction to this whole thing amusing. Its exactly as u described. Almost like the... Nothing to c here move along mentality

They seemed to be really on the ball when making Mike Balogun ineligible and subsequently denying his appeal. ;)

Hope youre right. I want armageddon soon/