PDA

View Full Version : Smoking

badger
11/4/2010, 04:04 PM
So they just distributed the health insurance forms at work and actually read them for once (get insurance through NP) and wow, there is a big difference between non-smoker and smoker costs.

So, gotta ask to any smokers and ex-smokers out there - you knew the health risks since schools had you chanting "just say no" and you still smoked. Why'd ya do it? And do you ever intend to quit? If you already did quit, any stories you'd like to share?

Thanks! :)

The
11/4/2010, 04:08 PM
Cause it tells people I'm a badass and No.

You're Welcome!

tcrb
11/4/2010, 04:20 PM
Smoked for 20 years. I quit 10 years ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Boarder
11/4/2010, 04:59 PM
Smoking in high school was cutting into my beer/mad dog money so it had to go.

Partial Qualifier
11/4/2010, 05:07 PM
Smoking in high school was cutting into my beer/mad dog money so it had to go.

I've got a couple good high school MD 20/20 stories.

badger
11/4/2010, 05:07 PM
A lot of my co-workers smoke, but I imagine seeing the difference between non-smoking insurance costs and smoking costs almost got to them. Almost. Apparently, a lot of people put their status as "non-smoker" intending to quit by the time the next insurance period started, when they were informed "No, you are still a smoker even if you quit the day the new policy starts."

I think you have to be an ex for at least a year before you can classify yourself as a non-smoker? In any event, only one person I know that quit on New Year's stuck with it. The heaviest smoker I know was back smoking on two days later. There was a weekly support class that was totally ragged on after the initial session, then everyone stopped going.

In two months, a lot will probably try again. I hope more stick with it this year.

Mjcpr
11/4/2010, 05:27 PM
I quit about 4 or 5 years ago after smoking since high school (I'm 40, and a man, and I prefer akkuricy) and I never had a different health coverage cost than that of a non-smoker. That must be a relatively recent development.

I quit with no medication help and, luckily, I found it to be surprisingly easy. I also gained about 30 pounds but I figured that was still healthier than smoking.

The End.

NormanPride
11/4/2010, 05:31 PM
I've heard the weight gain is shocking because you a. eat to not smoke and b. don't have the nicotine as an appetite suppressant.

My Opinion Matters
11/4/2010, 06:01 PM
Smoked for 20 years. I quit 10 years ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

You haven't had a very hard life.

olevetonahill
11/4/2010, 06:10 PM
I started when I was 15 , 45 years ago . There wasn't any of the education about smoking dangers around back then . Just about all Advertising was aimed at young folk to get em hooked. Smoking was acceptable every where. Smokes cost a quarter a pack.If ya went to some ones Home ya asked em if they minded if you smoke, Most every one would say NO they dont mind and get you an ash tray Even if no one in the home smoked.

I was gonna quit when I got drafted but found out that when we got to take a break if ya dint have a Cig, lit up the Drill Sargent, would grab ya up fer some silly detail or other. . The C-Rats we had to eat in Nam each meal had a 4 pack of cigs in it.

I quit a coupla years ago for several months then started back up, No clue why . But I can tell its starting to mess me up and am Considering quitin em again fer good this time .

Blue
11/4/2010, 06:41 PM
You non smokers need to mind yer own bizness and go eat another twinkie. ;)

tcrb
11/4/2010, 07:07 PM
You haven't had a very hard life.

I take it you've never been a smoker.

yermom
11/4/2010, 07:28 PM
how does one get classified as a smoker?

do they test you? are you supposed to check in every so often and tell them you haven't started?

btw, a certain employer near my house just needs to fire smokers instead of pushing the losers to my neighborbood to sit in their cars sucking down cancer sticks instead of letting them smoke in the parking lot.

AlbqSooner
11/4/2010, 07:32 PM
I had a client many years ago who, partly through law enforcement intervention, gave up a $300 a day cocaine habit. About 5 years later she quit smoking. She told me the smoking was harder to quit. I believe her.

oumartin
11/4/2010, 07:38 PM
I smoke after sex. So about once a year.

tcrb
11/4/2010, 07:48 PM
I had a client many years ago who, partly through law enforcement intervention, gave up a $300 a day cocaine habit. About 5 years later she quit smoking. She told me the smoking was harder to quit. I believe her.

The fact that you can walk into any convenience store and purchase a pack of smokes contributes to the level of difficulty. It's way easier to get your hands on tobacco than other drugs. It's also been documented that nicotine is one of the most addictive substances around...more so than heroine (and no, I'm not gonna provide a link).

AlbqSooner
11/4/2010, 08:28 PM
It's way easier to get your hands on tobacco than other drugs.

I take it you have never been a hard core druggy.:D

tcrb
11/4/2010, 08:49 PM
I take it you have never been a hard core druggy.:D

No, but what I meant was you cant buy drugs at the convenience store, and they cost a wee bit more than tobacco. And I do appreciate the irony of your post. :D

soonersweetie
11/4/2010, 11:27 PM
I don't smoke, but our new insurance benefits just came out. And if you smoke it's an extra $10.00 per paycheck for your insurance. If you don't do a biometric screening (bloodwork, bmi, etc) then that's another $10.00 per paycheck.

I did the biometric screening. For doing that , my rates won't go up, and I'll get $20 per month towards a weight loss program. Although I think it's invasive and I hate the way they are approaching this... I do need to lose weight so maybe it's a way to motivate me, we'll see.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 11:28 PM
My question is this: Can they put cigs in happy meals in San Francisco?

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 11:31 PM
The fact that you can walk into any convenience store and purchase a pack of smokes contributes to the level of difficulty. It's way easier to get your hands on tobacco than other drugs. It's also been documented that nicotine is one of the most addictive substances around...more so than heroine (and no, I'm not gonna provide a link).

Pretty much every convenience store sells alcohol, a drug. Most sell a bunch of OTC drugs. Most these days sell energy boosters that get used like speed. Many of them sell K2 or equivelent fake weed.

And I can walk outside and closer than the convenience store get speed, pills, weed, and God knows what else.

SoonerStormchaser
11/5/2010, 02:00 AM
I smoke after sex. So about once a year.

That's one more time a year than SicEm...:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2010, 02:22 AM
This thread makes me want a cigar. I think I'll have one.

SicEmBaylor
11/5/2010, 02:23 AM
That's one more time a year than SicEm...:rolleyes:

Only the sex part. I smoke far more often than that.

SoonerStormchaser
11/5/2010, 06:29 AM
I know..hence the :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
11/5/2010, 08:34 AM
I started when I was 15 , 45 years ago . There wasn't any of the education about smoking dangers around back then . Just about all Advertising was aimed at young folk to get em hooked. Smoking was acceptable every where. Smokes cost a quarter a pack.If ya went to some ones Home ya asked em if they minded if you smoke, Most every one would say NO they dont mind and get you an ash tray Even if no one in the home smoked.

I was gonna quit when I got drafted but found out that when we got to take a break if ya dint have a Cig, lit up the Drill Sargent, would grab ya up fer some silly detail or other. . The C-Rats we had to eat in Nam each meal had a 4 pack of cigs in it.

I quit a coupla years ago for several months then started back up, No clue why . But I can tell its starting to mess me up and am Considering quitin em again fer good this time .

agree with the above, but folks have known for decades that smoking is bad.
when i was a kid, (i'm older than Vet) cigarettes were referred to as "cancer sticks" or "coffin nails".

lot of it is the fault of gov't. like Vet noted, in military, they'd say "smok em if you got em, rest of you guys police the area". i smoked a little then.
very fortunately, thru blind luck, i never got the habit.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 08:53 AM
How many cigars can you have before you have to register?

The
11/5/2010, 09:02 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u108/TheSooner/169395_837043_big.gif

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:59 AM
how does one get classified as a smoker?

do they test you? are you supposed to check in every so often and tell them you haven't started?

btw, a certain employer near my house just needs to fire smokers instead of pushing the losers to my neighborbood to sit in their cars sucking down cancer sticks instead of letting them smoke in the parking lot.

Yes, there is a test for it. It's a simple mouth swab that only takes a second. I had to take one when I signed up for a certain life insurance policy a few years ago.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 10:02 AM
Yes, there is a test for it. It's a simple mouth swab that only takes a second. I had to take one when I signed up for a certain life insurance policy a few years ago.

^ Truth...I've heard it can take up to 6 months to be considered Smoke Free from those Tests.

The
11/5/2010, 10:08 AM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u108/TheSooner/toolegitgif.jpg

yermom
11/5/2010, 11:01 AM

that's got to be a pain in the *** if you don't smoke

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 11:05 AM
I always wonder if the test picks up enough nicotine from an eggplant eater.

Eggplant contains nicotinoid alkaloids which are a close relative to Tobacco.

tcrb
11/5/2010, 11:27 AM
Pretty much every convenience store sells alcohol, a drug. Most sell a bunch of OTC drugs. Most these days sell energy boosters that get used like speed. Many of them sell K2 or equivelent fake weed.

And I can walk outside and closer than the convenience store get speed, pills, weed, and God knows what else.

I guess the "drugs" I'm talking about is the really addicting stuff...heroin, coke, meth. Most otc stuff is not addicting. I dont consider weed and K2 to be addictive, but I suppose some people do have a "need" for it. Alcohol....yep, it's addictive alright, but thank God there's at least one drug that's legal.

As far as smoking cigs go, there's been a big shift taking place the last decade or so from it being socially acceptable to becoming more of a social taboo. Lots of cities, counties, and even states have laws that have made it illegal to smoke in certain public places. I know in MN you cant even smoke inside the bars anymore. That will really reduce your consumption when the temp outside is -30 :eek: .

The
11/5/2010, 02:53 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/WooldoorSockbat/cigadmarlboro.jpg