PDA

View Full Version : Please let Baylor beat OSU

SoonerinSouthlake
11/4/2010, 01:10 PM
Remember how a couple of years ago the TTEch fan were getting really cocky and acting as if they have "arrived" and were here to stay among the top college programs....Only to get a dose of reality in Norman

Its not quite that bad with realistic Baylor fan...but, being from DFW area, Im getting a lot of Bear Fans acting as if they are prepared to take the South this year because of their "huge" win in Austin.

Specifically one of my good friends informed me that OSU in Stillwater was the toughest test they had left for the season.

Im praying to the football Gods that they will beat OSU and not lose the following week...so that we can go to WACO and hang halfa hun on them.

To put this in perspective for you Oklahoma Natives...this comment to me was kinda the equivalent of when Stoolwater dwellers gather up some wins and start talking trash to you at work before Bedlam.

Never thought Id care about blowing Baylor out...but this year I really hope it plays out for a major thumping

SoonerJack
11/4/2010, 01:49 PM
If K-State beats Texas this weekend, that Baylor victory in Austin won't be so impressive, despite the fact it was earned on horn turf.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/4/2010, 02:42 PM
If K-State beats Texas this weekend, that Baylor victory in Austin won't be so impressive, despite the fact it was earned on horn turf.

oh I think most logical footbal fans already see that as an incredibly underwhelming win
just that my local Baylor fans are thinking that the Sooners aren't goin to be tha tough of a win

I only mention the Texas game because I think it's the reason the Silly Bears believe they have turned the corner

oumartin
11/4/2010, 02:49 PM
I just want Baylor to win cuz I am sick of the Okie State chest pounding.

KantoSooner
11/4/2010, 02:50 PM
I just want Baylor to win cuz I am sick of the Okie State pud pounding.

FIFY, and aren't we all.

cleller
11/4/2010, 02:52 PM
It will be interesting to see how Baylor responds to a team that can score on them quickly and repeatedly, which I'm afraid OSU is capable of. Like to see Baylor win, but I think OSU will outgun them.

badger
11/4/2010, 02:53 PM

Totally. Man-boob pounding has a very gross sound attached to it :eek:

Boomer Mooner
11/4/2010, 03:00 PM
It will be interesting to see how Baylor responds to a team that can score on them quickly and repeatedly, which I'm afraid OSU is capable of. Like to see Baylor win, but I think OSU will outgun them.

No need to wait to see how they respond, just look back at the Baylor/Tech game. Tech won 45 to 38, even after their dumbass special teams kicked a short onside kick and stood around with their thumbs up their asses and watched Baylor pick up the ball and run it in.

goingoneight
11/4/2010, 03:46 PM
Baylor won't stop OSU is the only problem. Tejas looks like they have mailed in the season. There's no leadership, just guys looking up at the scoreboard and rolling their eyes. They're 1-1 on the year for games they truly cared about.
OSU will handle them similar to how they handled Tulsa, Tech and K-State. They'll score points against an out-manned defense. It's critical for Baylor to protect the football if they want to keep it competitive.

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 03:52 PM
I want baylor to beat osu every year. 2010 isn't any different.

Rickety_Syd
11/4/2010, 04:37 PM

So is everyone else. But OSU will stomp Baylor.

This is one of those once-in-a-lifetime-type season's where Texas truly sucks and OSU is capapble of beating almost anyone.

But if Baylor does somehow win, my laughter will resemble Vincent Price at the end of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video.

Sooner Eclipse
11/4/2010, 08:18 PM
OSU needs to win their match-up with Baylor. The poke-choke will be in full effect when they actually have something to play for in our game. Ask Gundy and a guy named Brent Parker.

ThinMan
11/4/2010, 11:27 PM
That Baylor win was very big. They and Iowa State may well meet in the Big 12 CCG.

OSUAggie
11/4/2010, 11:44 PM
http://demotivational.ca/haters-gonna-hate/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg

Sooner_Tuf
11/5/2010, 12:41 AM
What happened to Hunter's eye?

CrimsonRez
11/5/2010, 01:06 AM
http://demotivational.ca/haters-gonna-hate/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters-gonna-hate-kid.jpg

We didn't ask for a picture of kendell hunter walking through stillwater

OUEngr1990
11/5/2010, 08:29 AM
Remember how a couple of years ago the TTEch fan were getting really cocky and acting as if they have "arrived" and were here to stay among the top college programs....Only to get a dose of reality in Norman

Its not quite that bad with realistic Baylor fan...but, being from DFW area, Im getting a lot of Bear Fans acting as if they are prepared to take the South this year because of their "huge" win in Austin.

Specifically one of my good friends informed me that OSU in Stillwater was the toughest test they had left for the season.

Im praying to the football Gods that they will beat OSU and not lose the following week...so that we can go to WACO and hang halfa hun on them.

To put this in perspective for you Oklahoma Natives...this comment to me was kinda the equivalent of when Stoolwater dwellers gather up some wins and start talking trash to you at work before OU-OSU.

Never thought Id care about blowing Baylor out...but this year I really hope it plays out for a major thumping

Same thing happened to me. I've got 1 friend who is a Baylor alum that I haven't talked to in over 5years call me out of the blue wanting to go to the game in Waco with me. Then he called us "average" LOL. They are highly confident of a victory over OU. I am highly confident they will be disappointed...

OUEngr1990
11/5/2010, 08:30 AM
OSU needs to win their match-up with Baylor. The poke-choke will be in full effect when they actually have something to play for in our game. Ask Gundy and a guy named Brent Parker.

+1

And then all the Oklahoma teams will be ahead of all the Texas teams in the South division, which is the way it should be.

SoonerinSouthlake
11/5/2010, 11:15 AM
Here is my point....
this was forwarded to me twice today by Baylor fans

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=jn-baylor110510

Baylor breaking through in Big 12

By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports
11 hours, 54 minutes ago

Email
Print
WACO, Texas – One by one, the Baylor Bears storm onto the football field through a gauntlet of assistants and team managers, all of whom scream and pump their fists before offering high-fives and shoulder slaps.

Players bob their heads as a song by rap star Bun B blares over the loudspeakers. Coach Art Briles cracks jokes in his southern twang. Reporters and NFL scouts watch from the sideline.

Art Briles has Baylor headed to a bowl and competing for the Big 12 South crown.
(Brett Davis / US Presswire)
And this is just practice.

“You can’t beat the atmosphere,” says linebacker Chris Francis, pointing toward the field. “This is how football at Baylor is supposed to be. The passion you see is genuine. We couldn’t be having any more fun.”

More From Jason King
For Texas Tech's Knight, it's win or go home Oct 27, 2010
ADVERTISEMENT

For 14 years they were the piņata of the Big 12, the misfits who were told they’d never make it, the team everyone said didn’t belong. Things got so bad a few years ago that, to rub it in during a blowout victory, other conference schools would chant “WORSE-THAN-BAY-LOR!” at an overmatched opponent.

Those days are gone.

The 21st-ranked Bears will take the field at Oklahoma State on Saturday touting a 7-2 overall record following last week’s win at Texas. Yes, Baylor beat Texas, the same school that played in last season’s BCS title game.

The Bears are ranked in the Associated Press poll for the first time since 1993 and boast a longshot Heisman candidate in quarterback Robert Griffin, a sophomore who redshirted last season because of a knee injury. Baylor’s offense ranks eighth in the country with 490 yards per game, and the defense was good enough to hold Texas to 22 points last weekend in Austin.

Briles’ squad has already qualified for its first bowl since 1994, and with a 4-1 record in the Big 12 South, there’s a realistic chance that Baylor – not Texas or Oklahoma – could end up in the conference championship game at Cowboys Stadium on Dec. 4.

Briles, who some said was committing career suicide when he left the University of Houston for Baylor three years ago, scoffs at the thought that such a goal is unattainable.

“I’ve never thought there was a roof on our ceiling,” Briles says.

He leans back in his office chair and smiles.

“Then again,” Briles says, “it’s always been in my nature to see things that other people couldn’t see.”

And make no mistake, besides diehard alums and those with ties to the program, few people had this vision for Baylor. Not during the Big 12’s first 14 years, when there were times folks doubted whether the Bears would ever be able to compete.

Baylor has had five head coaches since the league’s inception in 1996 and is the only conference school yet to play in a bowl game. The Bears are just 18-99 versus Big 12 opponents, including a 5-67 against teams from the South division.

“We’re about as bad a football team as there is right now in America,” former coach Dave Roberts told reporters after a blowout loss to Texas in 1997, and for years, the statement rang true.

Even in Waco, the Bears often felt like a punchline.

“I’d walk across campus a few years ago and hear people bad-mouthing football players,” Griffin said. “I even had teachers who would [brag] about other sports and down-talk football. There was just a real negative attitude around here.”

The angst reached its peak during the conference realignment talks last summer, when it appeared the Big 12 would disband. For weeks, players listened to reports about their conference foes moving on to leagues such as the Pac-10, the Big Ten and the SEC.

“But no one wanted Baylor,” safety Byron Landor said. “That really affected us. It gave us more hunger, because it showed that we really aren’t respected at all.”

When the Big 12 formed in 1996, Baylor had plenty of reason to believe it would succeed in the power conference. Led by fourth-year head coach Chuck Reedy, the Bears had just gained national attention by signing the No. 1-ranked recruiting class in the league.

The headliner of the haul was Odell James, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound dual-threat quarterback from the Houston area who chose Baylor over Florida State and Nebraska.

“The coaches on that staff had passion,” James said. “They weren’t intimidated by all the other big-name schools that recruited me. They marched right in and acted like belonged. They honestly believed that Baylor could be one of the top programs in America. And they got recruits to believe it, too.

With Robert Griffin back on the field, Baylor is back on the rise.
(Brett Davis / US Presswire)
“I was like, ‘Show me the dotted line. I’m ready to sign.’”

It didn’t seem all that outlandish that Baylor was landing top-flight recruits. The Bears, after all, entered the Big 12 full of momentum following 7-4 finishes the previous two seasons.

Baylor went to the Alamo Bowl and claimed a share of the Southwest Conference title in 1994. In 1995 the Bears ranked fifth in the nation in total defense. Even though they weren’t invited to a postseason game that year (the Southwest Conference had just two bowl tie-ins), the Bears’ program appeared on steady ground under Reedy.

Reedy’s assistants that season included two current Division I head coaches (Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy and Southern Mississippi’s Larry Fedora) along with former Middle Tennessee State coach Andy McCollum, who was Baylor’s defensive coordinator and top recruiter.

“We were young,” Reedy said. “But we really felt we were putting everything in place to make a nice run.”

They never got that chance. James suffered a season-ending knee injury during preseason drills and 13 of Baylor’s 22 starters missed at least one game in 1996. After a 3-0 start, the Bears lost seven of their final eight games – including three by a touchdown or less.

“I remember sitting in the film room the Sunday after our last loss of the season,” said McCollum, who is now an assistant at Georgia Tech.

“Chuck walked in with tears in his eyes. He just said, ‘It’s over.’ We were all in shock. Some of us probably still are.”

It was hard to fathom. Reedy went 23-22 in four seasons and had a team whose top players were freshmen and sophomores. Former athletic Tom Stanton and former school president Robert Sloan decided to make a change.

Reedy’s firing prompted a downward spiral that saw Baylor go through three more coaches in rapid succession.

The first was Dave Roberts, who had worked under Lou Holtz and Bob Davie at Notre Dame. Roberts was known as a good recruiter, but he lacked the Texas ties that are imperative for anyone working in the Lone Star state.

Roberts was fired after back-to-back 2-9 seasons, and Stanton brought in former Nebraska and NFL assistant Kevin Steele. In four seasons, Steele went just 1-31 in Big 12 play.

“I had to quit following them for awhile because it wasn’t good for my health,” said Bob Simpson, a member of the Texas Rangers ownership group and one of Baylor’s most prominent donors. “Those were very frustrating times. I’m sure there were people who wondered if we’d ever recover.”

Baylor’s players certainly did.

Steele hired former Nebraska quarterback Tommie Frazier as an assistant. But instead of letting Frazier tutor James, he made him the running backs coach.

Former Kentucky coach Guy Morriss took over for Steele in 2003 and fared better than his two predecessors. The Bears went 5-6 in 2005 and came within a victory of earning a bowl berth.

Unlike Roberts and Steele, Morriss was a native Texan, but he wasn’t charismatic. Morriss signed a lineman (Jason Smith) who went to become the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL draft but, for the most part, his success on the recruiting trail was limited. The Bears went 0-8 in Big 12 play during Morriss’ final season in 2007.

Watching from afar, Baylor’s former coaches couldn’t help but shake their heads. They heard stories about how the school’s relationships with the state’s high school coaches weren’t strong.

“Being in the profession, I was shocked at some of the hires they made,” McCollum said. “You don’t necessarily have to be from Texas, but you need to have earned your spurs in that state.

“There are a lot of high school coaches in Texas that have forgotten more football than some head college coaches have ever known. It can be intimidating. You’ve got to earn their respect.

“That’s why Briles was such a good hire. He’s one of them.”

Last summer, Baylor began airing a series of television commercials to generate support for its athletic department. The central theme: Rise Up.

It was fitting that the most popular ad featured Briles, whose entire career has been about surfacing from the rubble of downtrodden programs.

Briles was winning at Houston but couldn't pass up the chance to coach in the Big 12.
(Marvin Gentry / US Presswire)
In 1988, Briles took over a Stephenville (Texas) High School team that hadn’t made the playoffs since 1952. Two years later the Yellow Jackets began a string of 10 consecutive postseason appearances, including Texas Class 4A state titles in 1993 and 1994 and 1998 and 1999.

After three years as an assistant at Texas Tech, Briles accepted his first head coaching job at the University of Houston, which had gone 8-26 in the three seasons before his arrival. The Cougars went 7-5 in Briles’ first season and were Conference USA champions two years later.

As much as he enjoyed his time at Houston – where he tutored Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb – Briles couldn’t resist the chance to coach in the Big 12.

“If you’re going to play, you play with the best,” Briles said. “To me the Big 12 South was as good as any football conference in the nation. That’s what you want to gauge yourself against. Not something that other people might consider less.”

In the 54-year-old Briles, the Bears found more than just a good coach. They found a good fit.

Folksy and down-to-earth, Briles already had a strong reputation with high school coaches across the state. And when it comes to alumni relations and raising money, Briles is as funny and quick-witted of a public speaker as you’ll find in Texas.

“He’s got this whole town excited,” said Sammy Citrano, who owns George’s Bar and Restaurant, Waco’s most well-known hot spot. “People around here have waited a long time for someone like him. He’s just what that program needed.”

Even though the school was in a better conference and the job was for more money, Briles said he wouldn’t have accepted the Baylor position if he didn’t believe the Bears could be a factor in the Big 12 South.

Briles said Baylor’s status as the Big 12’s only private institution is a positive and not a negative. He points out that Waco is 90 minutes from Dallas and Austin and just three hours from Houston. In a state as big as Texas, there are plenty of recruits to go around. The key is to keep them close to home – and to sell them on Baylor’s program.

“I’ve always looked for trailblazers,” Briles said. “I like a guy that wants to walk down a path that’s never been walked down. That’s never going to change.”

Briles found one of those trailblazers in Griffin, a native of Copperas Cove, Texas who initially committed to Houston when Briles was the Cougars coach. Griffin said Morriss, the former Baylor coach, offered him a spot on the team as a walk-on.

“I’d heard he could run,” Briles said. “But the first time I saw him throw I thought, ‘Wow. This kid is something special.’ That combination is hard to find.”

Once an Olympic hopeful in the 400-meter hurdles – he placed third nationally as a freshman – Griffin now devotes his full attention to football. Baylor went 4-8 with Griffin under center as a true freshman in 2008. Three of the Bears’ losses that season were by seven points or less, and they led in the second half against No. 7 Texas Tech, No. 14 Missouri and Nebraska.

Baylor finished 4-8 the following season, too, after Griffin suffered a season-ending knee injury in the Bears’ third game. He received a medical redshirt and still has two years left to play.

The question is whether he’ll be in school that long.

Along with possessing game-breaking speed, the 6-foot-3 Griffin touts one of the strongest arms in the country. Griffin’s intellect also makes him appealing to NFL scouts. Griffin graduated seventh in his high school class and has a 3.64 grade point average in Waco.

Baylor’s coaches think Griffin should be considered for the Heisman Trophy.

“There’s no doubt about it,” Briles said. “He’s as good of a quarterback as there is in America.”

And he’s the face of one of the top stories of the 2010 season. Following Saturday’s showdown at Oklahoma State, the Bears will play their final two regular-season games in Waco against Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Even though the opponents are tough, there’s no reason to think Baylor can’t beat the tradition-rich programs and advance to the Big 12 title game Dec. 4.

“We’ve been pushed away from the table long enough,” Briles said. “It’s time to get fed.”

Wednesday afternoon, shortly before he headed out to the practice field, Art Briles noticed an envelope resting on his office desk. Inside was a letter from Chuck Reedy, the last coach to guide the Bears to a bowl game.

“Congratulations on your success this season,” it read. “I knew when Baylor hired you that you would turn them into a winner. Baylor is a great place! I wish you continued success.”

From ex-coaches to former players to apathetic fans who had all but written off their school, people are hopping onto Baylor’s bandwagon from every direction.

The good news in Waco is there is Briles is winning in recruiting as well as on the field.
(Brendan Maloney / US Presswire)
“People on campus are so excited,” said Landor, the safety. “But it’s kind of funny, because people don’t know how to celebrate it or how to enjoy it. They’re not used to this.”

All of a sudden the university that “didn’t belong in the Big 12” is one of three Division I schools currently ranked in the Top 25 in football and men’s and women’s basketball.

Facility upgrades are benefitting all sports – but none more than football, which has recently added on-campus indoor and outdoor practice facilities. Briles hopes a new stadium comes next.

If it does, fans hope Briles is around to see it.

Briles turned down overtures from Texas Tech after Mike Leach was fired last winter, but other offers will almost certainly present themselves.

“I don’t think he’s going anywhere,” James said. “Some of those other coaches probably came in here thinking this was a stepping-stone job. [Briles] isn’t like that. He’ll go down in the history books as one of the greatest coaches ever for what he did at Stephenville and Houston and for what he’s doing here.

“I’m telling you, he’s just getting started.”

If Griffin returns in 2011 the Bears could open the season ranked in the Top 10 or Top 15. Receivers Kendall Wright and Josh Gordon are NFL prospects, and the Bears will return eight starters on offense and five on defense.

With recruiting picking up because of the recent success, there’s no reason to think the Bears are a one-year wonder.

“By no means have we arrived,” Briles said, “but without question, I think the perception of Baylor football has changed.”

Griffin agrees.

“It’s our time,” he said. “It’s our time.”

texaspokieokie
11/5/2010, 12:32 PM
way too long to read

OUEngr1990
11/5/2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah, especially since its about baylor

texaspokieokie
11/5/2010, 12:39 PM
exactly !!

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 12:41 PM
Delusional to say the least.

I wonder if they forget that they are an 0 fer against OU!

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 12:49 PM
This should explain where BU is comin from....

“By no means have we arrived,” Briles said, “but without question, I think the perception of Baylor football has changed.”

Most Definitely NSFW

Did I say this wasn't safe for work? Well...it's not...so don't click on it....

Last warning....

YeAW8SCkdP0

XingTheRubicon
11/5/2010, 12:50 PM
there should never be that many words about Baylor...for any reason

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 12:52 PM
there should never be that many words about Baylor...for any reason

Things have changed....they have arrived! :D :rolleyes: :pop:

SoonerStormchaser
11/5/2010, 01:45 PM
I seem to recall an Iowa State team in 2002 that was being touted as awesome and had a Heisman contender quarterbacking their team.

What became of them after they played Oklahoma?

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:48 PM
Seneca Wallace I believe.

On March 8, 2010 Wallace was traded to the Cleveland Browns for a conditional pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. With this trade, Wallace is reunited with his former Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, who is now the president of the Browns.

Oh and your question about what happened to them....

They went on to hand tejas an *** whooping in DKR. :D

badger
11/5/2010, 01:59 PM
Since everyone over there is hoping and praying that we offered Cam Newton money so that we're ineligible to beat them like we do every year, go take care of 'em, Baylor. Pretend they're as bad as they were predicted to be in the preseason ;)