PDA

View Full Version : Great new Sammy article

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 12:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoiTLdRjqmIb_ta5_.hjVTxDubYF?slug=jc-bradfordrams110410

And why is it that Yahoo News/Sports seems to be outscooping all the other big "news" sources like EPSN, etc?

Anyway, enjoy the read. :)

Mississippi Sooner
11/4/2010, 12:59 PM
I've wondered that about yahoo sports, myself. They are the ones who originally broke the story on the Reggie Bush mess at USC.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 01:04 PM
They also broke the Favre story.

sooner518
11/4/2010, 01:06 PM
awesome article. ive gotten so bored with ESPN and SI articles lately. I really enjoyed this one

oumartin
11/4/2010, 01:07 PM
And why is it that Yahoo News/Sports seems to be outscooping all the other big "news" sources like EPSN, etc?

They hired TMZ reporters?

stoopified
11/4/2010, 01:49 PM
I still laugh when I hear references to Sam spending his whole career in the spread and there were questions about his ability under center.Obviously these were people who only watched highlights.

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 01:51 PM
"Really, with his body movement and the type of athlete he is, he looks more like a young Joe Montana.”

:D

Thats from a GM, not a reporter.

GREAT read.

Landthief 1972
11/4/2010, 01:54 PM
Great story. Great young man.

SoonerJack
11/4/2010, 01:56 PM
Awesome article. Thanks for sharing.

Wishboned
11/4/2010, 02:10 PM
This story:

Bradford learned composure long ago from his father Kent, a former Oklahoma offensive lineman in the 1970s. Kent coached his son in every sport as a youngster, from football to basketball to baseball. One day when Bradford was pitching in a Little League game around age 11, an opposing batter popped up to third.

The third baseman dropped the ball and Bradford showed some frustration. No rant or rave, just a pained look and a swipe of the glove.

“The next batter, I strike him out and I’m thinking, ‘OK, we got out of this one,’” Bradford said. “During that at-bat, I had thrown two balls and I came over to the dugout and my dad pulled me aside and said, ‘Listen, if you’re going to come after people for dropping pop flies, you stop throwing balls.’ I was thinking, ‘I just struck the guy out.’ But that was his way of saying, everybody sees you and how you react. If things don’t go your way, put it behind you and go on.”

Just makes me think of this poem:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
...Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

btb916
11/4/2010, 02:22 PM
Awesome read. Glad you posted it. I can't even imagine how proud of him I would be if that were my kid.

DrZaius
11/4/2010, 02:39 PM
A great read, Thanks!

bmjlr
11/4/2010, 02:44 PM
A great find. Thanks for posting. I never get tired of reading about Sam.

NormanPride
11/4/2010, 02:57 PM
Overall, that was one of a half-dozen times that Bradford rolled right to set up a throw in that game. That may not seem astounding, but one of the main criticisms of Bradford before he was taken No. 1 overall in April’s draft was that he had never operated from under center, instead playing in shotgun his whole career at Oklahoma in a spread-formation attack.

Why do people always think this about our offense? Sam operated a ton from under center. More than Landry has, and he does a bunch as well.

SoonR4Life
11/4/2010, 03:24 PM
Great read. Thanks!

swardboy
11/4/2010, 03:39 PM
Now that was simply a wonderful read. Sam's people skills are FAR beyond his years.

I especially liked how he kept it toned down with Mr. Hyper-Gruden...I thought he was very low key in that video.

Man I hope and pray he keeps his health and just lights it up in St. Louie for many years to come. I think he's already gonna give talented FA receivers incentive to play there.

cjames317
11/4/2010, 05:15 PM
"Moreover, Bradford kept his passes in the middle of the field in low spots, keeping his receivers from tipping passes for possible interceptions."

Looks like Sam could teach Romo and Kitna a little something. The new SI has a good article "Art of the Pass" that dissects throwing mechanics (from grip to footwork upon release) of famous and infamous QBs. Now I've got something else to watch during games.

cyclonesooner
11/4/2010, 05:32 PM
I just wish they'd televise some Rams games !

sooner ngintunr
11/4/2010, 05:41 PM

They've been on up here alot. Just another reason why texas sucks:D

BigBoomerInBigD
11/4/2010, 06:04 PM
Great article - thanks for posting!

swardboy
11/4/2010, 06:12 PM
We ought to have a SoonerFan Caravan to St. Louis to watch Sam someday.

Nah....most of you drunks would never make it home alive.

MI Sooner
11/4/2010, 06:13 PM
I find it odd that being compared to Joe Montana would somehow be a better compliment than being compared to Manning (even if it's more apt). That was the impression I got from the writer, though.

delhalew
11/4/2010, 08:05 PM
"Moreover, Bradford kept his passes in the middle of the field in low spots, keeping his receivers from tipping passes for possible interceptions."

Looks like Sam could teach Romo and Kitna a little something. The new SI has a good article "Art of the Pass" that dissects throwing mechanics (from grip to footwork upon release) of famous and infamous QBs. Now I've got something else to watch during games.

Our last championship game surely taught him that lesson. He must have been dejected to lose such a close game.

GottaHavePride
11/4/2010, 09:13 PM
I find it odd that being compared to Joe Montana would somehow be a better compliment than being compared to Manning (even if it's more apt). That was the impression I got from the writer, though.

Joe Montana = 4 Super Bowl wins in 4 tries.

Peyton Manning = 1 for 2.

EDIT: and that was a GREAT flipping article. Much better than what passes for "journalism" over at ESPN.

sooner n houston
11/5/2010, 09:28 AM
Nice read, it is really hard to get any coverage of Sam down here! Thanks.

AlbqSooner
11/5/2010, 10:30 AM

I agree. We get Dallas or Denver or sometimes Arizona.

OU_Sooners75
11/5/2010, 10:36 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AoiTLdRjqmIb_ta5_.hjVTxDubYF?slug=jc-bradfordrams110410

Anyway, enjoy the read. :)

Because unlike SI or ESPiN, Yahoo! goes after stories and actually reports them. They do not write or talk about a bunch of their worthless opinions.

TUSooner
11/5/2010, 10:38 AM
Great article - thanks for posting!

THIS ^^^
Thanks!

Landthief 1972
11/5/2010, 01:14 PM
Joe Montana = 4 Super Bowl wins in 4 tries.

Peyton Manning = 1 for 2.

No, I see what he's saying. Montana was never considered a great athlete. As i recall, scouts didn't think he had enough arm strength, speed and (maybe) too short. What made Montana great was his football mind and his people skills. I would say Bradford is a little like both Manning and Montana...but damn, it's awful early in his career to be comparing that way. I just hope Madden doesn't slap him on the cover of next year's game. ;)

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 01:15 PM
No, I see what he's saying. Montana was never considered a great athlete. As i recall, scouts didn't think he had enough arm strength, speed and (maybe) too short. What made Montana great was his football mind and his people skills. I would say Bradford is a little like both Manning and Montana...but damn, it's awful early in his career to be comparing that way. I just hope Madden doesn't slap him on the cover of next year's game. ;)

Jerry Rice helped a bit too.

madillsoonerfan5353
11/5/2010, 02:47 PM
"Pretty [expletive].”

I don't think that Sam would say anything like that. ;) :D

ouleaf
11/5/2010, 03:46 PM
good read.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/5/2010, 04:04 PM
Jerry Rice helped a bit too.

THIS.