PDA

View Full Version : Win Away Games = NC?

janderson255
11/4/2010, 11:59 AM
If OU could figure out how to win the big away game, what are the odds that they would win more NCs? What makes them nearly unbeatable at home? Is it the other team doesnt know how to win at Owen Field and/or chokes? Just trying to start a conversation...

and What can OU do to win big on the road? Maybe its the "There's Only One" intro... (from earlier post) dun dun dun...

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 12:03 PM
With a few exceptions our home success has noting to do with crowd noise.

goingoneight
11/4/2010, 12:17 PM
Guys quite simply take more pride in playing at home. They need to figure out how to not only "protect this house," but also to go tear down everybody else's. The two are not related IMO. Everyone plays better at home. OUr guys need to be more confident, motivated and physical away from home. It starts with a running game IMO. Seems like everytime I am frustrated with the Sooners, it's two things... Playing somewhere else and playing throwball for the whole game. Seems to me if we were more physical and aggressive away from home, we'd be better in a lot of these close call losses. It's easy to be physical and aggressive when you know you're going to make the crowd go wild doing so. They have to channel that energy away from home, even though it's not there.

The_Red_Patriot
11/4/2010, 12:17 PM
The crowd in Norman is pretty lame compared to SEC stadiums and other colleges across the country. Not to mention our poor excuse of a student section.

But back to your point.....DUH....If we could take care of business on the road Bob would have won more titles. Just look at the record.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 12:25 PM
2006 -Oregon (****), that year didn't even seem like we ever were really in the title hunt because of the early two losses; but now everytime I think about that ****ing call, it makes me wanna puke, considering a 2-loss LSU was playing for the title.
2007- Colorado.

So yeah those translate into more opportunities for titles. If we sweep the three remaining road games, we'll feel better going forward, especially next year since its been nominated "the year" :rolleyes:

agoo758
11/4/2010, 12:31 PM
2006 -Oregon (****), that year didn't even seem like we ever were really in the title hunt because of the early two losses; but now everytime I think about that ****ing call, it makes me wanna puke, considering a 2-loss LSU was playing for the title.
2007- Colorado.

So yeah those translate into more opportunities for titles. If we sweep the three remaining road games, we'll feel better going forward, especially next year since its been nominated "the year" :rolleyes:

LSU played in 07.

I take comfort in the fact that the oregon loss didnt really have any affect on our postseason placement.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 12:33 PM
LSU played in 07.

I take comfort in the fact that the oregon loss didnt really have any affect on our postseason placement.

oh yeah thats right :O . We would have probably got in before Fla though, because the SEC love-fest hadn't started yet, and the main reason Fla got in was because they didn't want a rematch.

oumartin
11/4/2010, 12:40 PM
the three games away from Norman that bother me most.

NC against LSU
NC against SUC
NC against FLA

sooner518
11/4/2010, 12:50 PM
If OU could figure out how to win the big away game, what are the odds that they would win more NCs?

uhhh, if we win more away games, there is a 100% chance we will win more NCs. not sure why you needed to ask that.

Harry Beanbag
11/4/2010, 01:17 PM
If OU wins every game they'll also win every NC. I wish we would go with that plan.

pappy
11/4/2010, 01:52 PM
the three games away from Norman that bother me most.

NC against LSU
NC against SUC
NC against FLA

Same here!

The_Red_Patriot
11/4/2010, 03:30 PM
Win Road game me get BCS ?

http://www.mancavesports.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bobstoops.jpg

yepa...geda roada win n den u gep a bcs champunchip!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DRjFsnvrR9Y/SzDZ7N_zb3I/AAAAAAAABG0/dKf-tSjUqyk/s400/farmer+fran.jpg

tator
11/4/2010, 03:39 PM
uhhh, if we win more away games, there is a 100% chance we will win more NCs. not sure why you needed to ask that.
Don't forget bowl games. We should probably win more of those too.

What about scrimmages? Are those keeping us out of the MNC?

cyclonesooner
11/4/2010, 05:47 PM
What's really bad is that the NC games vs LSU and Fla are really just home games for them. Just doesn't seem quite fair.

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 06:05 PM
If Bob had won the 3 NC's against LSU, SUC and phlorida many of you wouldn't give a **** about him losing a road game or even having a couple of .500 seasons. Quite a difference in your thinking would have taken place IMO.

Dude is an excellent Coach.

The past is the past. I like the way we're headed. Last year 8-5 and a Bowl Winner....this year we're 7-1 and headed towards a possible Big XII Title and at the very least a lot better Bowl than last year.

agoo758
11/4/2010, 06:57 PM
If Bob had won the 3 NC's against LSU, SUC and phlorida many of you wouldn't give a **** about him losing a road game or even having a couple of .500 seasons. Quite a difference in your thinking would have taken place IMO.

Dude is an excellent Coach.

The past is the past. I like the way we're headed. Last year 8-5 and a Bowl Winner....this year we're 7-1 and headed towards a possible Big XII Title and at the very least a lot better Bowl than last year.

People also forget that Steve Spurrier lost plenty of big games in the 90's that kept him from winning more than one MNC (including the choke at doak)

People also forget that Bobby Bowden managed to only win two National Championships when he was in the top 5 15 years in a row.... mainly because he couldn't beat Miami.

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 07:00 PM
If Bob had won the 3 NC's against LSU, SUC and phlorida many of you wouldn't give a **** about him losing a road game or even having a couple of .500 seasons

but but he didn't win any of those :eek:

;)

proudsoonergal
11/4/2010, 07:35 PM
Guys quite simply take more pride in playing at home. They need to figure out how to not only "protect this house," but also to go tear down everybody else's. The two are not related IMO. Everyone plays better at home. OUr guys need to be more confident, motivated and physical away from home. It starts with a running game IMO. Seems like everytime I am frustrated with the Sooners, it's two things... Playing somewhere else and playing throwball for the whole game. Seems to me if we were more physical and aggressive away from home, we'd be better in a lot of these close call losses. It's easy to be physical and aggressive when you know you're going to make the crowd go wild doing so. They have to channel that energy away from home, even though it's not there.

<cough> Texas 2010 <cough>

:D

OUthunder
11/4/2010, 07:42 PM

Well, except for Texas.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 07:45 PM
When you only lose a few games a year and have been undefeated at home in the past five years, I can see why some people think you only seem to lose on the road. I don't see why this is becoming a big deal and it's just now coming up. We didn't play great on the road this year and we even lost one, but at the same time we didn't play great at home this year in a couple of games. IMO this is just something for the media to bitch about. Bowl games excluded, I think Stoops does a fine job getting the team ready for away games. For the bowl games we do need to be more prepared, but two NC's we were the "visiting" team, and the BSU and WVU games one could say our team might have been let down because of thier oppenent. BSU year we're playing ****ty BSU and WVU we maybe thought we should have been in the NCG.

Always_Sooner
11/4/2010, 09:05 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/11/04/predictions-ou-at-texas-am/?custom_click=lead_story_title

I like this tidbit from the Oklahoman...states that OU is 22-18 on the road since 2005, so that shows you how unreliable we've been and vulnerable you are to upsets. Let's face it though anyone is. I think that OU will win this weekend as long as they win the turnover battle....

soonercastor
11/4/2010, 09:10 PM
http://blog.newsok.com/ou/2010/11/04/predictions-ou-at-texas-am/?custom_click=lead_story_title

I like this tidbit from the Oklahoman...states that OU is 22-18 on the road since 2005, so that shows you how unreliable we've been and vulnerable you are to upsets. Let's face it though anyone is. I think that OU will win this weekend as long as they win the turnover battle....

Like http://willfulcaboose.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/john_madden-football.jpg said, "usually the team that scores more points wins"