PDA

View Full Version : OT: Eulogy for LoyalFan

AggieTool
11/3/2010, 07:05 PM
Today was his internment ceremony at Ft. Sam. I wrote this last night at the last minute.

I’ve been telling folks that I would squeeze into my uniform one last time for my dad’s internment... little did I know that it would be literally.
I want to personally thank all those who could make it, and I know some have traveled far to be here.
It’s good to see so many family, friends, and former acquaintances attending today, and it would be appropriate to say that I’m honored and thankful that you’re here to honor and remember my dad.
These times usually gather us to do one of two things, mourn the passing of a loved one and friend... or remember and celebrate the life of a loved one or friend. I have selected the later for today.
My dad’s life can be best described as one devoted to service. Service to his family, service to his friends, service to those he felt he was responsible for... and service to his country.
From my earliest memories, I understood my dad’s reverence for the military and especially his ever present reflection upon his own service in the Army during one of the most turbulent times in our nation’s history.
He served during a time when many people didn’t have the same regard for military service or veterans as now, yet he always embraced his fellow veterans with the utmost respect and understanding...including myself...although I chose the Navy instead of the Army.
As a consummate musician and teacher, he used his education and experience to enrich the lives of those who love music as well as those who aspired to perform for others.
Not only did he endeavor to perform with his professional peers in the San Antonio Municipal Band, but he also offered his leadership, organizational skills, and desire to foster the interest in the band throughout the city by tirelessly promoting their music and concerts.
Along the way, he volunteered his time to assist public school band programs in the central Texas region by offering tutoring and mentoring to aspiring young musicians. And it must be mentioned that he didn’t just offer his time and knowledge, but he also provided many instruments which he acquired and refurbished to struggling families... all at great personal sacrifice.
To his neighbors, he was a diligent and caring leader in his condominium community. Rather than just pass on complaints and problems as some homeowner association presidents do, he would often answer service calls at all hours of the day or night to repair appliances, plug leaking pipes, install hardware, and initiate safety related or security maintenance... all without compensation or direction from the management company.
Aside from his professional endeavors, he was the quintessential outdoorsman, and understood good stewardship of the land, game management, and safety.
Here again, he dedicated much of his time educating and mentoring young hunters, and fishermen. He tirelessly studied the technical aspects of hunting and fishing and was always anxious to share his knowledge and discoveries with his friends and fellow outdoorsmen.
He often acquired and put together assortments of fishing tackle, hunting equipment, and other items, offering them in the spirit of friendship...again...sometimes at a personal sacrifice that he all too often kept to himself.
Finally, please join me in remembering his love of college football...especially O.U. I have to believe one of the reasons he remained with us until the fall was to catch the first few games of the season.
But more importantly, his love of the game spawned numerous friendships that grew beyond the love of the sport and enriched his life at a time when he needed it the most.
To our family, friends...his and now mine, and my coworkers, I personally thank you for being here today to remember and celebrate his extraordinary and accomplished life.
And to my dad...a last jab from the Navy...Fair winds and following seas soldier...<hand salute>

Chuck Bao
11/3/2010, 07:20 PM
That was quite a beautiful tribute, AggieTool. Thank you for sharing it. I can just imagine LoyalFan smiling in Heaven as you said those words. LoyalFan will be missed on this board, as well as by other Sooner fans. May God be with and bless you and your family.

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 07:28 PM
Greatness. And it's been passed on to you. Awesome letter.

God Bless your Father and the Family.

ST

Collier11
11/3/2010, 07:47 PM
Good Job AT, may God be with you and your family and bring you peace

AlbqSooner
11/3/2010, 07:57 PM
I spoke professionally for many years. I can tell you that the Eulogy which you delivered was a masterpiece. The love for your father came through even on the printed page, and I am sure that the verbal delivery emphasized it even more.

God Bless you, your family and your father. It is a pleasureable honor to have gotten to know both of you.

olevetonahill
11/3/2010, 08:15 PM
Wish I could have been there Bro

SCOUT
11/3/2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks for sharing that. I thought it was a wonderful tribute. God Bless

OhU1
11/3/2010, 09:18 PM
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Soonerus
11/3/2010, 09:33 PM
Good stuff, he would have been very proud !!!

soonerbub
11/3/2010, 09:49 PM
God bless you and your family. Thank you for posting

stoops the eternal pimp
11/3/2010, 10:08 PM
What everyone has already posted...I've been looking through some of your dad's old posts...most of them cracking me up...he certainly had a way with words and letting you know his opinion....

thank you for sharing

SunnySooner
11/3/2010, 10:52 PM
I think this world could use a few more people like your dad. I'm sorry he's no longer with us, but comforted to know he's in a place where he's young and strong, a place with no pain or sorrow, a place where you can see him again someday. God bless you all, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

CrimsonJim
11/3/2010, 11:20 PM
Great job, AT! You did you father proud. Thank you for sharing and God bless you and your family through this difficult time.

soonerbrat
11/4/2010, 08:03 AM
Very moving, AT...very sorry for your loss, but I'm glad he got to see OU beat T*xas :)

RIP, LoyalFan

delhalew
11/4/2010, 08:50 AM
That was an excellent eulogy. My condolences for your loss...and everyone else's loss as well. When the world loses a man like that we all feel it.

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2010, 09:24 AM
Prayers to you and your family.

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 04:47 PM
I got here too late to know your dad, but unfortunately I do know how hard it is to bury your father. So sorry for your loss, and what a wonderful tribute to him!

soonersweetie
11/4/2010, 11:33 PM
Very well written-full of honor, respect, admiration and love. He is definitely smiling and very proud of you. May God bless you and your family.

Thanks for sharing.