PDA

View Full Version : AHAHAHAHA, you banned the Ten Commandments!!

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 04:05 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/03/law-professor-ban-on-sharia-law-a-mess/

Oklahoma voters on Tuesday approved a measure that bans the application of Islamic law and orders judges in the state to rely only on federal law when deciding cases. State Rep. Rex Duncan, a Republican, was the primary author of the measure, which amends that state constitution.

Watch how the ballot initiative's author and others feel about the ban

For months, legal experts had lambasted the initiative as biased toward a religion and potentially harmful to local businesses that engage in commerce with international companies. It also presents potential constitutional law problems, experts say. Is Oklahoma's state constitution now in direct conflict with the U.S. Constitution's First Amendment, which states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion ... "?

There has never been a previous case in the state in which Sharia law was applied, said Rick Tepker, the first member of the University of Oklahoma School of Law faculty to try a case before the U.S. Supreme Court.

Tepker called the passage of the measure "a mess" with implications unknown until a case that challenges it arises.

"Many of us who understand the law are scratching our heads this morning, laughing so we don't cry," he said. "I would like to see Oklahoma politicians explain if this means that the courts can no longer consider the Ten Commandments. Isn't that a precept of another culture and another nation? The result of this is that judges aren't going to know when and how they can look at sources of American law that were international law in origin."

What is Sharia law, and how is it defined in the ban?

Businesses that engage with international companies may also find the ban is a stumbling block, Tepker said. The ban also requires all state business to be conducted in English.

Duncan has said he knew of no precedent in the state's history in which a judge applied Sharia law. But he backed the measure, he told reporters, as a "pre-emptive strike."

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:09 PM
Yeah !!!! we can now murder!!!!!

stoopified
11/3/2010, 04:10 PM
I don't ANYBODY has enforced TEN COMMANDMENTS in court for years.

The
11/3/2010, 04:15 PM
I don't ANYBODY has enforced TEN COMMANDMENTS in court for years.

You accidentally the whole post.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.habitationofjustice.com/wp-content/uploads/simpsons_nelson_haha.jpg

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 04:16 PM
Yeah !!!! we can now murder!!!!!

Is it murder if they need killin?

sooner59
11/3/2010, 04:17 PM
So its ok to covet my neighbor's wife?

Mississippi Sooner
Thy neighbor's wife may now be coveted at your leisure.

The
So its ok to covet my neighbor's wife?

Is she hot?

sooner59
11/3/2010, 04:19 PM
Is she hot?

Hot enough for me. :D

The
11/3/2010, 04:19 PM
Hot enough for me. :D

Post pics. It's the only way to be sure.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:20 PM
I see alot of assumptions in the original article.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:21 PM
YAY BUTTSECKS!

I won't turn into a pillar of salt!

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 04:21 PM
I see alot of assumptions in the original article.

Well duh. Why else would I post it?

Scott D
11/3/2010, 04:23 PM
What I think is funny is apparently Oklahomans were afraid of Sharia Law what? sneaking up on them?

The
11/3/2010, 04:24 PM
What I think is funny is apparently Oklahomans were afraid of Sharia Law what? sneaking up on them?

Burkas in the night.

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 04:25 PM
Never forget what happened to Ali Baba...

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:25 PM
Tipping over their trashcans and knocking up their dog.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:26 PM
YAY BUTTSECKS!

I won't turn into a pillar of salt!

Thats not in the 10 commandments.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 04:27 PM
all this time Sharia Law was a ninja...no wonder Sharron Angle thought it took over a part of Texas that doesn't exist anymore, and Dearborn Michigan.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:27 PM
Well duh. Why else would I post it?

Maybe you believed it's assumptions....lol

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:28 PM
I miss Riyadhville, Texas.

Boarder
11/3/2010, 04:30 PM
Does Sharia Law ban gay marriage? If it does and was in place before Oklahoma Law, then it is against the law for Oklahoma to ban it.

Adam & Steve rejoice!

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 04:30 PM
Muslims kick puppies and eat babies.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:32 PM
Does Sharia Law ban gay marriage? If it does and was in place before Oklahoma Law, then it is against the law for Oklahoma to ban it.

Adam & Steve rejoice!

See? Buttsecks!

Toldja.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:32 PM

Adam & Steve rejoice!

That all depends on the modernists, traditionalists, or the fundamentalists Islamists view of Sharia Law.

The
11/3/2010, 04:33 PM

Adam & Steve rejoice!

YAY POLYGAMY!

MOAR WIVES FOR ME!

Scott D
11/3/2010, 04:34 PM
I just want to know how that became such a deep seated fear? Was there a request for a new mosque in OKC or something?

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:35 PM
They're building one next door to Jesus.

Cornfed
Since people are linking stuff , I'll point out a lovely.

http://www.ntpi.org/html/womensrights.html

Boarder
That all depends on the modernists, traditionalists, or the fundamentalists Islamists view of Sharia Law.
No problem, just look up Oklahoma's definition of Sharia Law.

Oh, wait.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:36 PM
I just want to know how that became such a deep seated fear? Was there a request for a new mosque in OKC or something?

Read the articles in the OP, a judge in New Jersey said it was not spousal abuse for a man to beat his wife if he was a muslin.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 04:37 PM
to be fair, the judges in new jersey are paid off by the mob so I wouldn't listen to them.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:38 PM
to be fair, the judges in new jersey are paid off by the mob so I wouldn't listen to them.

The MOBsters are Catholic....lol

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:39 PM
Because we ALL know the Catholics are coming to lord over us all.

More facepalm.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:40 PM
Because we ALL know the Catholics are coming to lord over us all.

More facepalm.

You didn't get the memo?

Scott D
11/3/2010, 04:41 PM
The MOBsters are Catholic....lol

it's all part of the secret mob plan to out haliburton in saudi arabia ;)

Tulsa_Fireman
11/3/2010, 04:41 PM
You didn't get the memo?

I didn't. My priest must've been too busy running away from all the protestants with torches and pitchforks.

Penguin
11/3/2010, 04:43 PM
Why in the world is Oklahoma worried about judges referencing Sharia law? Is that such a big problem in Oklahoma that an initiative was needed?

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:43 PM
I didn't. My priest must've been too busy running away from all the protestants with torches and pitchforks.

We carry mace now.

Boarder
11/3/2010, 04:48 PM
Wait, doesn't Sharia Law ban outside (i.e. International) law? So, the law banning Sharia Law was based on Sharia Law. Oh, what a conundrum.

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2010, 04:48 PM
Read the articles in the OP, a judge in New Jersey said it was not spousal abuse for a man to beat his wife if he was a muslin.

And was promptly reversed and reprimanded. Hey, look at that! We already had a procedure in place!

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:49 PM
And was promptly reversed and reprimanded. Hey, look at that! We already had a procedure in place!

So redundancy in US politics is not needed?

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2010, 04:51 PM
So redundancy in US politics is not needed?

So you need to pass a law to remedy a "problem" that happened once in another state and was fixed immediately?

It's not needed because it's ****ing stupid.

Maybe we should pass a law that judges should never use Vulcan law either!

Or Jedi law!

The
11/3/2010, 04:52 PM
Or Jedi law!

You go too far, sir.

tommieharris91
11/3/2010, 04:52 PM
So you need to pass a law to remedy a "problem" that happened once in another state and was fixed immediately?

Or Jedi law!

Those are international sources of law, so they can't use them either.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:53 PM

Or Jedi law!

I'm sorry I forgot to put this ;) after my statement. (I thought it was un needed)

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2010, 04:56 PM
Those are international sources of law, so they can't use them either.

Jedi and Vulcan law were first promulgated right here in the United States. Bung. Lawyered.

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2010, 04:57 PM
I'm sorry I forgot to put this ;) after my statement. (I thought it was un needed)

Yeah, I guess I don't notice when people who were arguing one side of an issue post something that would be an argument for their side of the issue only mean it as a joke.

;)

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I guess I don't notice when people who were arguing one side of an issue post something that would be an argument for their side of the issue only mean it as a joke.

;)

Well this is the internet.:D

tommieharris91
11/3/2010, 04:59 PM
Jedi and Vulcan law were first promulgated right here in the United States. Bung. Lawyered.

But they're not laws that anyone in the US uses because they are used in other places. They're international law.

I'm sure the Nazis would have used Jedi and Vulcan law after they purified their race though.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 05:05 PM
I don't trust any of you, I think I need Sharron Angle to explain Sharia Law to me.

Frozen Sooner
11/3/2010, 05:06 PM
So? The source is domestic.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 05:08 PM
I just want to know what I can and cannot get away with in Dearborn.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 05:09 PM
I just want to know what I can and cannot get away with in Dearborn.

You cannot eat ice creame while holding it in your left hand.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 05:10 PM
good thing...I'd probably drop it since I'm right handed.

3rdgensooner
11/3/2010, 05:32 PM
http://thatsrightnate.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/terrorist-babies.jpg

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 05:36 PM
http://thatsrightnate.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/terrorist-babies.jpg

he's happy because he's got a big bomb in that diaper.

TUSooner
11/4/2010, 07:58 AM
Since people are linking stuff , I'll point out a lovely.

http://www.ntpi.org/html/womensrights.html

That's a good site, "Say NO to political Islam." And it's a Muslim site.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 08:04 AM
Sharia Law I can live with.

It's that Magna Carta bull**** that pizzes me off. We need another vote!

But wait...If it actually bans international sources of law does that mean that 99% of our laws are now banned? Isn't England another country?

TUSooner
11/4/2010, 08:05 AM
The way it was explained to me: They (the Muslims) already put one (a Muslim) in the White House (Obama) so we need to pass this law in case they also get some judges in place. I changed the subject. :)

sooner n houston
11/4/2010, 08:22 AM
Sharia, meaning “path” in Arabic, guides all aspects of Muslim life. But in some countries, strict interpretations “are used to justify cruel punishments such an amputation and stoning as well as unequal treatment of women in inheritance, dress and independence,” according to the Council on Foreign Relations. In Great Britain, sharia courts have been established to settle certain domestic disputes among Muslims.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/11/03/sooner-state-shuns-sharia/

Ike
11/4/2010, 08:23 AM
The way it was explained to me: They (the Muslims) already put one (a Muslim) in the White House (Obama) so we need to pass this law in case they also get some judges in place. I changed the subject. :)

Wait, does this mean that Obama is unconstitutional in OK, since he is both Muslim and international? Did we just secede? Or does being unconstitutional twice cancel itself out?

OklahomaTuba
11/4/2010, 08:57 AM
Just because he is spending a trillion dollars to visit India doesn't make him International.

GDC
11/4/2010, 09:11 AM
The ten commandments are great. Nothing about genocide, rape, incest, bestiality or slavery, but cussing and idolatry are forbidden and send you straight to hell.

Oldnslo
11/4/2010, 11:27 AM
The ten commandments are great. Nothing about genocide, rape, incest, bestiality or slavery, but cussing and idolatry are forbidden and send you straight to hell.

See, Talmud.

Boarder
11/4/2010, 11:39 AM
This is what burns me up about the ridiculous state questions that this legislature pushes through:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20101103_11_0_OKLAHO162048

Let's waste the Attorney General's time and resources litigating the latest piece of paranoia. Maybe Oklahoma will go all California and refuse to answer the lawsuit.

Lawsuit expected Thursday challenging Shariah law vote

By BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Published: 11/3/2010**10:26 PM
Last Modified: 11/3/2010**10:26 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY — A lawsuit is expected to be filed Thursday challenging the legality of a state question that bans the use of Shariah law in state court cases.
Voters on Tuesday approved State Question 755 with slightly more than 70 percent support. It was among 11 state questions on the general election ballot.

SQ 755 forbids state courts from considering international law or Shariah law when deciding cases.

Shariah law is Islamic law. It is based on the Quran and the teachings of Mohammed.

Muneer Awad, executive director of the Oklahoma Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said a member of the Muslim community in Oklahoma City is expected to file suit on Thursday in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.

Awad said SQ 755 violates the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, adding that it targets a particular religion.

“Disfavoring Islam, or any religion, is a violation of the First Amendment,” Awad said. “Second, it renders all international treaties invalid in our courts.”

He called the state question ridiculous because Shariah law is not used in Oklahoma courts.

Awad said his organization and other groups will hold a press conference Thursday in the Capitol to discuss the lawsuit. He said the person filing the suit did not want to be identified Wednesday.

Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, sponsored the legislation putting SQ 755 on the ballot. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Tulsa_Fireman
11/4/2010, 11:42 AM
Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, sponsored the legislation putting SQ 755 on the ballot. He could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Thanks, Rex. Dork.

Boarder
11/4/2010, 11:45 AM
Actually, that would be funny for Edmondson to do on the way out. Refuse the lawsuit and let the petitioners win.

SoonerMustang
11/4/2010, 11:48 AM
Undergrad from OU and JD from OCU. He must have been asleep during the International Law seminar.

Caboose
11/4/2010, 11:49 AM
This is what burns me up about the ridiculous state questions that this legislature pushes through:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=16&articleid=20101103_11_0_OKLAHO162048

Let's waste the Attorney General's time and resources litigating the latest piece of paranoia. Maybe Oklahoma will go all California and refuse to answer the lawsuit.

It doesn't violate the first amendment.

tommieharris91
11/4/2010, 11:55 AM

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/10/13/image6955805_370x278.jpg

The
11/4/2010, 11:57 AM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2010/10/13/image6955805_370x278.jpg

WITCH!!! BURN HER!!

TUSooner
11/4/2010, 12:03 PM

Thank you, Mr. Justice Caboose. Now I'm sure they'll call off the lawsuit. Thanks for saving the State of Oklahoma a ton of money!

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 12:45 PM

Or Jedi law!

Vulcan law is perfectly acceptable in Texas though.

http://blastr.com/2010/10/texas-supreme-court-cites.php

Texas Supreme Court cites Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

In something that seems like gag from a Big Bang Theory spec script that never got made, it appears that the Texas Supreme Court has taken a page from the Vulcan Academy of Jurisprudence.

Techdirt and the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Association report that the Texas Supreme Court opinion Robinson v. Crown Cork and Seal refers to the dictum put forward by Mr. Spock in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Appropriately weighty principles guide our course. First, we recognize that police power draws from the credo that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Second, while this maxim rings utilitarian and Dickensian (not to mention Vulcan 21), it is cabined by something contrarian and Texan: distrust of intrusive government and a belief that police power is justified only by urgency, not expediency.

Not content to contextualize Vulcan wisdom through Dickens and "contrarian" Texan identity, the opinion goes on to quote in footnote number 21:

See STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN (Paramount Pictures 1982). The film references several works of classic literature, none more prominently than A Tale of Two Cities. Spock gives Admiral Kirk an antique copy as a birthday present, and the film itself is bookended with the book's opening and closing passages. Most memorable, of course, is Spock's famous line from his moment of sacrifice: "Don't grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh..." to which Kirk replies, "the needs of the few."

It's hard to imagine what urgency could be brought up through a case involving cork and sealants, as opposed to dilithium crystals and the Genesis Device ... but it's nice to know that Vulcan logic can have some influence here on Earth.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 12:46 PM
Just because he is spending a trillion dollars to visit India doesn't make him International.
And heeeeeere's ANOTHER STUPID POST by our very own...OklahomaTuba! :D

badger
11/4/2010, 12:55 PM
Well, we already pretty much follow our Ten Commandments here anyway, so no worries about it going to court:

1. Stoops is god.
2. You shall not take the name of god (Stoops) in vain. Venables and Wilson are fine though.
3. Remember the gameth day and be in attendance.
4. Honor thy mommy and daddy... unless they aren't OU fans.
5. Thou shall not die until we win another national championship.
6. Thou shall not commit bandwagon jumping.
7. Thou shall not steal... unless the opposing team's kicker kicked the ball right at you. Then, send that ball outta the stadium pronto.
8. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy Sooners. We did TOO beat Oregon, and don't you dare say we didn't! :mad:
9. Thou shall not covet Bammer's championships. They're mostly fake, you know.
10. Thou shall not cover Michigan's wins. We've won more in the modern era!

Or...something like that. :P

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 01:40 PM
AMEN!

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 04:38 PM
Well, we already pretty much follow our Ten Commandments here anyway, so no worries about it going to court:

1. Stoops is god.
2. You shall not take the name of god (Stoops) in vain. Venables and Wilson are fine though.
3. Remember the gameth day and be in attendance.
4. Honor thy mommy and daddy... unless they aren't OU fans.
5. Thou shall not die until we win another national championship.
6. Thou shall not commit bandwagon jumping.
7. Thou shall not steal... unless the opposing team's kicker kicked the ball right at you. Then, send that ball outta the stadium pronto.
8. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy Sooners. We did TOO beat Oregon, and don't you dare say we didn't! :mad:
9. Thou shall not covet Bammer's championships. They're mostly fake, you know.
10. Thou shall not cover Michigan's wins. We've won more in the modern era!

Or...something like that. :P

: applause

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:06 PM
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/03/law-professor-ban-on-sharia-law-a-mess/

I think the profs are reaching a little.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 05:31 PM
Just because he is spending a trillion dollars to visit India doesn't make him International.^^^ THIS IS ANOTHER TUBA LIE ^^^

badger
11/4/2010, 05:55 PM
^^^ THIS IS ANOTHER TUBA LIE ^^^

That should be your sig ;)

Jerk
11/4/2010, 06:07 PM
"Soonerchick"

You must be a feminist. Isn't that cute.

You do realize that under Sharia law, a woman's testimony is only worth 1/3 of a man's.

Just thought you could, you know, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 06:11 PM
"Soonerchick"

You must be a feminist. Isn't that cute.

You do realize that under Sharia law, a woman's testimony is only worth 1/3 of a man's.

Just thought you could, you know, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

aren't you just adorable?

Jerk
11/4/2010, 06:14 PM
aren't you just adorable?

No not really. But I'm glad you think so. Want to get married? We can live under Sharia Law, and have sex with you and beat you whenever I want to.

soonerchk
11/4/2010, 06:15 PM
Not if we're living in OK.

Jerk
11/4/2010, 06:18 PM
Hey, you got a sister? I can marry her, too. Up to 3 others, I think.

Jerk
11/4/2010, 06:19 PM
Jesus H.Christ. Can you imagine having 4 mothers-in-laws?

Jerk
11/4/2010, 06:19 PM
Not if we're living in OK.

Ah, thank Jesus for those dead white guys who founded our Country.

Boarder
11/4/2010, 08:55 PM
Jesus H.Christ. Can you imagine having 4 mothers-in-laws?
If they're sisters, you'd only have one mother-in-law. So, it will take some good planning on your part.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 11:50 PM
I was actually serious when I asked last night if this means that anything in US law derived from the Magna Carta is banned.

Anyone?

soonerchk
11/5/2010, 08:57 AM
I was actually serious when I asked last night if this means that anything in US law derived from the Magna Carta is banned.

Anyone?

Only in OK. We're going to make our own rules from now on.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:05 AM

Anyone?

Nah. Oklahoma likely has a "reception statute" that brings anything from the common law of England as of 1789 into the common law of the state. Therefore, English common law that derives from the Magna Carta is actually domesticated to Oklahoma law.

The
11/5/2010, 09:05 AM
Nah. Oklahoma likely has a "reception statute" that brings anything from the common law of England as of 1789 into the common law of the state. Therefore, English common law that derives from the Magna Carta is actually domesticated to Oklahoma law.

So, we're just a bunch of wankers?

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 09:13 AM

Anyone?

You mean.....

The greatest Constitutional Document of all times - The Foundation of the Freedom of the individual against the arbitrary authority of the despot?

It was pretty important. I think it really got things moving west.....

3rdgensooner
11/5/2010, 09:23 AM
So, we're just a bunch of wankers?Bollocks!

The
11/5/2010, 09:27 AM
Bollocks!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u108/TheSooner/qyuzOO6cGi471rzvUYTkbYZGo1_400.jpg

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:36 AM
Just for the record, I don't have a particular problem with saying "Hey, we shouldn't be using Sharia law as a rule of decision," much like I don't have a problem with saying "We shouldn't be using any religious law as a rule of decision". I do think that codifying a prohibition against one particular religion does bump up against the Establishment Clause, but depending on what justice has his boots on that morning it may or may not actually be a violation of the EC.

My major problem is that I just don't think it was anywhere near necessary. There's no real problem that's being addressed.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 09:44 AM
The message that we don't give a **** about your Law might be an inspiration to many folks but what it really does is say If you want to bring your Corporation to Oklahoma and create lots of new jobs....you'll have no problems here with Political Correctness Law Suits from your Employees because 70% or more of your employees aren't Muslims.

Yeah....it's good to be a small state ahead of the curve when things are tough. We've got some real bright folks in charge.

3rdgensooner
11/5/2010, 09:47 AM
Click and go to min 2:20 (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364378/november-03-2010/stephen-colbert-gives-you-props)

TopDawg
11/5/2010, 09:53 AM
Click and go to min 2:20 (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/364378/november-03-2010/stephen-colbert-gives-you-props)

He's right about the dangers of cat pilots.

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 10:22 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_2_Pna9eA6CU/SotktqYo4YI/AAAAAAAADJg/ev_ex_rgIzY/s320/cardboard-cat-playhouses-1.jpg

3rdgensooner
11/5/2010, 10:26 AM
He's right about the dangers of cat pilots.Iknowryte?

I'm more concerned about the man-futon love issue. It will surely lead to the ghey.

Ike
11/5/2010, 10:30 AM
My major problem is that I just don't think it was anywhere near necessary. There's no real problem that's being addressed.

ding ding ding....

Also, I was wondering if you could help me a bit with this: I have heard it said that the part of this particular amendment banning the consideration of international law could hurt businesses in OK that do business internationally. True? or horsepucky?

TUSooner
11/5/2010, 10:45 AM
Can somebody find me the actual words of the new law? Please? (I looked on Westlaw.)

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 10:51 AM
ding ding ding....

Also, I was wondering if you could help me a bit with this: I have heard it said that the part of this particular amendment banning the consideration of international law could hurt businesses in OK that do business internationally. True? or horsepucky?

That's kind of what I was getting at. Arminis Galleria is either gonna jack their prices up or have a fire sale. Will that be the only way to tell?

I'd have to think it won't help anything....

soonerchk
11/5/2010, 10:54 AM
Can somebody find me the actual words of the new law? Please? (I looked on Westlaw.)

Muslims are evil and will eat your children.

Ike
11/5/2010, 10:57 AM

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Oklahoma_International_Law_Amendment_%282010%29,_C onstitutional_changes
this?

Proposed constitutional changes if the measure is enacted read:[1]

A. The judicial power of this State shall be vested in the Senate, sitting as a Court of Impeachment, a Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeals, the Court on the Judiciary, the Workers’ Compensation Court, the Court of Bank Review, the Court of Tax Review, and such intermediate appellate courts as may be provided by statute, District Courts, and such Boards, Agencies and Commissions created by the Constitution or established by statute as exercise adjudicative authority or render decisions in individual proceedings.

Provided that the Court of Criminal Appeals, the Workers’ Compensation Court, the Court of Bank Review and the Court of Tax Review and such Boards, Agencies and Commissions as have been established by statute shall continue in effect, subject to the power of the Legislature to change or abolish said Courts, Boards, Agencies, or Commissions. Municipal Courts in cities or incorporated towns shall continue in effect and shall be subject to creation, abolition or alteration by the Legislature by general laws, but shall be limited in jurisdiction to criminal and traffic proceedings arising out of infractions of the provisions of ordinances of cities and towns or of duly adopted regulations authorized by such ordinances.

B. Subsection C of this section shall be known as the “Save Our State Amendment”.

C. The Courts provided for in subsection A of this section, when exercising their judicial authority, shall uphold and adhere to the law as provided in the United States Constitution, the Oklahoma Constitution, the United States Code, federal regulations promulgated pursuant thereto, established common law, the Oklahoma Statutes and rules promulgated pursuant thereto, and if necessary the law of another state of the United States provided the law of the other state does not include Sharia Law, in making judicial decisions. The courts shall not look to the legal precepts of other nations or cultures. Specifically, the courts shall not consider international or Sharia Law. The provisions of this subsection shall apply to all cases before the respective courts including, but not limited to, cases of first impression.
Current section

The section that the measure would amend currently reads:

The judicial power of this State shall be vested in Senate, sitting as a Court of Impeachment, a Supreme Court, the Court of Criminal Appeals, the Court on the Judiciary, the State Industrial Court, the Court of Bank Review, the Court of Tax Review, and such intermediate appellate courts as may be provided by statute, District Courts, and such Boards, Agencies and Commissions created by the Constitution or established by statute as exercise adjudicative authority or render decisions in individual proceedings. Provided that the Court of Criminal Appeals, the State Industrial Court, the Court of Bank Review and the Court of Tax Review and such Boards, Agencies and Commissions as have been established by statute shall continue in effect, subject to the power of the Legislature to change or abolish said Courts, Boards, Agencies, or Commissions. Municipal Courts in cities or incorporated towns shall continue in effect and shall be subject to creation, abolition or alteration by the Legislature by general laws, but shall be limited in jurisdiction to criminal and traffic proceedings arising out of infractions of the provisions of ordinances of cities and towns or of duly adopted regulations authorized by such ordinances.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 11:02 AM

As an employee of Thomson-Reuters, I thank you.

TUSooner
11/5/2010, 11:05 AM

https://www.sos.ok.gov/documents/questions/755.pdf?4,10

Thanks, me! :rolleyes:
Sorry I can't figure out how to copy it because it is not a text file. Anyhow, it's one thing to say Sharia law sucks, but another to put that sentiment into a workable law. I'd say this falls short, for vagueness if nothing else. What exactly is a legal workable definition Sharia law -- or more importantly -- "international law"?

TUSooner
11/5/2010, 11:05 AM
As an employee of Thomson-Reuters, I thank you.

Then find the d@mn thing for me! :D

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 11:07 AM
The idea of it seems to be a bigger deal than what the law does to stop Sharia Law from happening. Kind of like the guy that was gonna burn the Kuran. Would burning it put an end to people not getting along? Nope.

Frozen Sooner
11/5/2010, 11:34 AM
Then find the d@mn thing for me! :D

You're welcome!

TUSooner
11/5/2010, 11:38 AM

You're welcome!

That was darn-near funny!

:)

StoopTroup
11/5/2010, 11:52 AM

You're welcome!

That paper trail is full of folks who should probably be Meter Maids.