PDA

View Full Version : Worst Bowl Name Ever?

SteelClip49
11/3/2010, 10:45 AM
the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl is no longer the champion.

Say goodbye to the 10+ reign of the GMAC Bowl and hello to the.....

http://www.godaddybowl.com/

Also the Beef O'Brady's Bowl is a crap name as well.

TUSooner
11/3/2010, 10:48 AM
Also known as the Tit-tease Bowl.

jkjsooner
11/3/2010, 10:50 AM
I can live with bowls having corporate sponsors and add their sponsor to the bowl name - like FedEx Orange Bowl - but when they just go by the sponsor's name it gets a little ridiculous.

texaspokieokie
11/3/2010, 10:52 AM
I can live with bowls having corporate sponsors and add their sponsor to the bowl name - like FedEx Orange Bowl - but when they just go by the sponsor's name it gets a little ridiculous.

totally agree, then i don't know whether it's an important bowl or not.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/3/2010, 10:54 AM
Oklahoma should have a Dust Bowl... ;)

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 11:26 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the GoDaddy Bowl as long as all these corps continue to buy their icons the advertising the way they have been. The thing that will really start up controversy is when Larry Flynt buys the rights to the Hustler Holiday Bowl.

Jacie
11/3/2010, 11:28 AM
In a similar vein there is the Papajohns.com bowl but there are plenty of em with names a lot more ridiculous than the Godaddy.com Bowl.

I submit for your inspection and scorn some from last year and what they are now . . .

San Diego County Credit Union Poinsetta Bowl (no previous sponsor)

AdvoCare V100 Independence Bowl (Poulan Weedeater was four sponsors, and hence, four different names ago)

R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl (previously the Wyndham New Orleans Bowl)

Konica Minolta Gator Bowl (since dropped, no current sponsor)

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl (now the Kraft Foods Bowl)

Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl (previously the Sea World, Thrifty Car Rental, Plymouth, Culligan, and Pacific Life Holiday Bowl)

You know, with a little effort, we could get enough OU fans to chip in and sponsor the Oklahoma Sooner Fans Bowl. OUr team wouldn't have to be in it, we could just call it that.

Mississippi Sooner
11/3/2010, 11:36 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the GoDaddy Bowl as long as all these corps continue to buy their icons the advertising the way they have been. The thing that will really start up controversy is when Larry Flynt buys the rights to the Hustler Holiday Bowl.

What a halftime show that could be. :D

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 11:42 AM
What a halftime show that could be. :D

Especially if Oregon played in it

theSoonertheBetter
11/3/2010, 12:08 PM
Especially if Oregon played in it

You mean the Oregon State Beavers?:P

NormanPride
11/3/2010, 01:06 PM
Why doesn't OU host a bowl game? Goodness knows we have a large enough stadium and plenty of stuff going on in OKC and Norman. Can we not get a local sponsor? You know people would show up...

Bourbon St Sooner
11/3/2010, 01:09 PM
The Mathis Bros. Furniture Bowl

The bowl in Houston was name after some furniture store a few years back.

Always_Sooner
11/3/2010, 01:18 PM
Culligan Water Holiday Bowl. I like Pacific Life much better.

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 01:23 PM
Why Gatorade isn't the Sponsor of the Gator Bowl is beyond me. Just goes to show how detached Corp. Management is these days. They should be proud of their history as a leader in the Sports Drink Industry IMO....and being a sponsor of that Bowl especially now that it's open...seems like a very logical thing to do unless it's the Gator Bowl Committee that doesn't want them.

stoopified
11/3/2010, 01:40 PM
If we had a 75000 seat stadium in OKC we could have the Oklahoma River Bowl.

Dan Thompson
11/3/2010, 02:26 PM
Maybe Kohler should sponsor a bowl.

sooner59
11/3/2010, 02:26 PM

Galleryfurniture.com Bowl. The sheephumpers actually played in it. :D

texaspokieokie
11/3/2010, 02:31 PM
Why doesn't OU host a bowl game? Goodness knows we have a large enough stadium and plenty of stuff going on in OKC and Norman. Can we not get a local sponsor? You know people would show up...

i don't think you'd draw much of a crowd unless OU was playing.

besides, the weather Could be absolutely miserable.

yermom
11/3/2010, 02:34 PM
i wouldn't really want to go to a bowl in late December/early January in Norman, OK

of course, there is the Pinstripe Bowl now. at least the International Bowl in Toronto was in a dome...

soonerboomer93
11/3/2010, 02:41 PM
I hear Austin is thinking about having a bowl in the expanded stadium.

In honor of Greg Davis they're going to call it The Toilet Bowl

Collier11
11/3/2010, 02:44 PM
who the hell would want to play in Oklahoma in January, that isnt a reward...lol

Mississippi Sooner
11/3/2010, 02:48 PM
who the hell would want to play in Oklahoma in January, that isnt a reward...lol

Just think of what fun the Cotton Bowl was sometimes back when they still played it in the Cotton Bowl.

texaspokieokie
11/3/2010, 02:58 PM
Just think of what fun the Cotton Bowl was sometimes back when they still played it in the Cotton Bowl.

i went to the cotton bowl when Sooners played AR. froze my doogies off.

what about the one when Montana played for ND in the terrible ice.

nativesooner
11/3/2010, 03:03 PM
You mean the Oregon State Beavers?:P

Just think if they played South Carolina! :D

TUSooner
11/3/2010, 03:25 PM

Don't they play the Inhumanitarian Bowl in Boise, Idaho in late December?

Mississippi Sooner
11/3/2010, 03:28 PM
i went to the cotton bowl when Sooners played AR. froze my doogies off.

what about the one when Montana played for ND in the terrible ice.

I remember that one well. I knew the Houston quarterback, Danny Davis. Montana came into the game sick, but still led the Domers in one of the craziest comebacks I've ever seen.

usaosooner
11/3/2010, 03:28 PM
really want Kotex to sponsor a bowl with a SEC vs Pac 10 tie in that way we can have the Crimson Tide vs Beavers bowl matchup

sooner59
11/3/2010, 03:30 PM
really want Kotex to sponsor a bowl with a SEC vs Pac 10 tie in that way we can have the Crimson Tide vs Beavers bowl matchup

+1 :D

sooner59
11/3/2010, 03:33 PM
All PAC 10 matchup: Planned Parenthood Bowl featuring Trojans vs. Beavers.

oudivesherpa
11/3/2010, 03:33 PM
How about the K-Y Jelly Bowl. With Slippery Rock as the host team.

sooner59
11/3/2010, 03:38 PM
The Hokie Pokie Bowl: Va. Tech vs. Ok. State.

bent rider
11/3/2010, 04:46 PM
Don't they play the Inhumanitarian Bowl in Boise, Idaho in late December?

Yep, and this year its sponsored by uDrove, some sort of phone app for truckers. Sad.

If an Oklahoma Bowl were commercially viable I'm sure EZ Million would have jumped on it by now.

DunderMifflin
11/3/2010, 06:50 PM

Since Larry is dead, I doubt that he's interested in bowl games. Oklahoma could certainly sponsor a Wingnut Bowl after yesterday's election results.

Scott D
11/3/2010, 07:14 PM
ya'll are just jealous of the Little Caesars Bowl..(formerly known as the Motor City Bowl)

sooner59
11/3/2010, 07:18 PM
Since Larry is dead, I doubt that he's interested in bowl games. Oklahoma could certainly sponsor a Wingnut Bowl after yesterday's election results.

When did Larry Flynt die? Seems pretty alive to me.

okiedokie
11/3/2010, 07:26 PM

this is funny! Those brothers must be in their 80's by now?

okiedokie
11/3/2010, 07:28 PM
Maybe Fedex and UPS could co-sponsor a bowl and call it the FEDUP Bowl?

bent rider
11/3/2010, 07:33 PM
Maybe Fedex and UPS could co-sponsor a bowl and call it the FEDUP Bowl?

Or the UPSex Bowl?

BigDeezy
11/3/2010, 07:47 PM
I always thought Campbell's Soup should sponsor a Bowl.

Or one that might be for the crappiest teams - The Tidy Bowl Bowl

Collier11
11/3/2010, 07:48 PM
The Depends Ultra Protection Bowl

Scott D
11/3/2010, 08:05 PM

no word on if Texas fans have accepted the bid.

sooner59
11/3/2010, 08:21 PM

That would be one sh!tty bowl game. :D

Sooner_Tuf
11/4/2010, 02:53 AM

Larry is dead? Does he know he's dead?

BigTip
11/4/2010, 05:18 PM
Godaddy.com Bowl is scheduled for Jan 6, 2011. Really? It's bad enough that the major bowls are playing past Jan 1st, but the Godaddy.com Bowl? Jeez.

jumperstop
11/4/2010, 07:20 PM
Godaddy.com Bowl is scheduled for Jan 6, 2011. Really? It's bad enough that the major bowls are playing past Jan 1st, but the Godaddy.com Bowl? Jeez.

And I hate how the announcers make it sound like it's still a big deal to make a January bowl even if it is the crappiest bowls with the crappiest teams.

slh1234
11/4/2010, 07:23 PM
I'm waiting for the Toto Toilets Bowl ...

http://www.nationalbuildersupply.com/s/Toto-Toilets.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Toto%20Toilets&utm_content=Toto+Toilets&utm_campaign=Toto&wmh_match=b&wmh_ad=235615700

Sooner Brewcrew
11/5/2010, 08:48 AM
insight.com bowl and humanitarian bowel were pretty lousy names

BoulderSooner79
11/5/2010, 09:13 AM
Did Massengales ever sponsor a bowl?

BoomerJack
11/5/2010, 09:33 AM

Actually you could have a bowl game in Pickens Stadium @ Stillwater. It would pit the two worst teams in D-I. The teams would be REQUIRED to go to maintain membership in the NCAA and/or respectives conferences.

Mississippi Sooner
11/5/2010, 09:36 AM
Actually you could have a bowl game in Pickens Stadium @ Stillwater. It would pit the two worst teams in D-I. The teams would be REQUIRED to go to maintain membership in the NCAA and/or respectives conferences.

But fans would only be allowed in if they bought season tickets for the aggie rasslin' team. :pop: