PDA

View Full Version : Stoops in Da Nile

SoonerPr8r
11/3/2010, 09:23 AM
a**clown
Sittler column: Stoops is in denial about OU's road problems (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101103_202_B1_NORMAN288093)

texaspokieokie
11/3/2010, 09:30 AM
sittler ain't that far wrong.

Okie35
11/3/2010, 09:39 AM
That article is kind of over selling it.

C&CDean
11/3/2010, 09:42 AM
Stoops doesn't owe the media a ****ing thing. **** them.

If anybody is stupid enough to think that Stoops doesn't know/realize/care about their performance away from Owen Field then they're a tard. He's COMPLETELY aware of the problems, and is doing everything he can to fix it. Problem is, can he get the players to actually execute while on the road?

At least he didn't say "well look at last year. We lost how many road games? How many were by 1-10 points? How many injuries did we have?" That's what I would have said, but I respect Stoops for not whining about it. Him not acknowledging or answering these putzes is not a cause for concern. Our players blowing assignments or playing scared away from home is.

Sooner Brewcrew
11/3/2010, 09:43 AM
Very true article, OU has seemed like a Jekyll and Hyde team at home and on the road over the past couple of years.

C&CDean
11/3/2010, 09:45 AM
No, it's not a "true" article. Sitler is saying Stoops is in denial. That's horse****. Stoops isn't playing their game so he's taking a shot. Big difference here.

sooner518
11/3/2010, 09:46 AM
I dont think hes in denial, I think he just doesnt want to throw his team under the bus to the press. He knows better than anyone that we arent as good on the road as we are at hoe. What does admitting it to the press accomplish?

C&CDean
11/3/2010, 09:48 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

SoonerPr8r
11/3/2010, 09:49 AM
I agree that Coach is not in denial. This is the media getting all pissy because Stoops wouldn't answer their questions yesterday and was giving them the ole stare down when they kept asking the same questions.

Okie35
11/3/2010, 09:51 AM
I dont think hes in denial, I think he just doesnt want to throw his team under the bus to the press. He knows better than anyone that we arent as good on the road as we are at home. What does admitting it to the press accomplish?

:cool: agreed.

...sooner
11/3/2010, 09:55 AM
I dont think hes in denial, I think he just doesnt want to throw his team under the bus to the press. He knows better than anyone that we arent as good on the road as we are at hoe. What does admitting it to the press accomplish?

this.

Mississippi Sooner
11/3/2010, 09:58 AM
Funny thing is, Tramel wrote a very similar article in today's DOK. They must have gotten together and decided that would be this week's theme.

KantoSooner
11/3/2010, 09:59 AM
The media need material. Stoops needs privacy to deal with the teams issues, good and bad. Natural conflict. Stoops also needs the media to pump our screwed up ranking system. It's one of many things he needs to juggle and one of many reasons he makes way more money than I do.
Sittler is neither stupid nor evil. He knows Bob's not in denial, but he'll needle him in hopes of getting a rise so he'll have something to write about.

Press conferences by any public figure are 99% waste of time and 1% interesting when the principal wants to reset the game.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2010, 10:00 AM
Bob has always been like this with the press. Sure, I'd love to hear specifics of what he is trying to address for each game, but that's not going to happen. But I do get a kick out of the way he digs in against these media guys, so it's still entertaining.

No1Better
11/3/2010, 10:07 AM
A&M and Mizzou have one win over number 1 teams - it's OU
KSU smoked the 2003 OU team with 6 All Americans
Nebbish has 5 INT's (a record) in one game - against OU
Only team to lose 5 out of 7 BCS bowl games - OU
Colorado has one win against a top 5 team in the last 5 years - it's OU

These are marquee wins by these programs (and put Boise State on the map).
Bob can't coach effectively on the road and I expect to lose 2 out of the next 4 games. Giving up with 3 minutes remaining in each contest.

Mad Dog Madsen
11/3/2010, 10:09 AM
What?

stoopified
11/3/2010, 10:10 AM
Bob just doesn't like dealing with the media and refuses to play their headgames.

IB4OU2
11/3/2010, 10:16 AM

Bob can't coach effectively on the road and I expect to lose 2 out of the next 4 games. Giving up with 3 minutes remaining in each contest.

Good Grief! How many #1 teams have A&M and Mizzuou played? How many teams have gone to seven BCS games? Answer OU...There's ony 1 you know.

We do lose a few every now and then. Whiner...

oumartin
11/3/2010, 10:20 AM
blah blah blah blah blah....

I bet these kids would perform better on the road under Urban Meyer or Mack Brown. Of course they might lose 4 or 5 home games..

Stoops obviously knows there is an issue. He just needs to fix it. He is the head coach. This is a problem that's been going on for a number of years.

Blaming it on players executing is just stupid... Certainly thats a small percentage of the issue but there are bigger issues.

fadada1
11/3/2010, 10:22 AM
can you imagine if we had the same record (under stoops) away as we do at home???? best team EVAR in the universe!!!!

[edit] except the osu offense [edit]

No1Better
11/3/2010, 10:29 AM
Good Grief! How many #1 teams have A&M and Mizzuou played? How many teams have gone to seven BCS games? Answer OU...There's ony 1 you know.

We do lose a few every now and then. Whiner...

Your perspective is noted, but a more realistic perspective is the fact that Stoops can't coach on the road, so expect more meltdowns at the hands of sub par teams in the immediate future.

Even worse, he can't coach effectively in close games. So expect more throw in the towel events for the sake of better polling numbers.

sluggo sooner
11/3/2010, 10:35 AM
Over the last 10 seasons (2000-09) the Stoops coached Sooners are 99-21 with a NC and 6 CCs. And, he's won 49 games away from Norman. I have a hard time getting too worked up about this.

soonerchk
11/3/2010, 10:39 AM

Yes because first of all he has more class than that, and second, he can see just how well that worked for Mack Brown.

But hey, writers need something to write about, and here's yet another example.

No1Better
11/3/2010, 10:59 AM
Over the last 10 seasons (2000-09) the Stoops coached Sooners are 99-21 with a NC and 6 CCs. And, he's won 49 games away from Norman. I have a hard time getting too worked up about this.

Before 2004 - I agree with you, but it's 2010 and things have changed.

Stoops coached teams now suck on the road and unless he gets his players salty and ready to win no matter where the hell they are, expect more disappointment.

oumartin
11/3/2010, 11:03 AM
^^^this^^^^

achiro
11/3/2010, 11:09 AM

Stoops coached teams now suck on the road and unless he gets his players salty and ready to win no matter where the hell they are, expect more disappointment.

Heard a caller on Sports Animal talking about how this is a problem that has been there the last few years even with different players. He said that would indicate more of a coaching issue. He talked about less blitzing while away, certain types of offensive play calling being different at home vs away. Seemed to make some valid points. Basically said the coaches need to loosen up some when not at home. Whether he is right or full of it would be for you guys to decide, I'm not saying one way or another how I feel about the subject. :D

tooslow
11/3/2010, 11:22 AM
As a fan, there's definitely an issue with how OU underperforms on the road. As others have already said, Stoops knows exactly what's going on within the program. He sure as hell isn't going to discuss most of what transpires there to the press. I'm sure he's worked in correcting the road woes, but just hasn't found the right formula yet. Without looking it up, I'm sure every team has a better win record at home opposed to away games. Of course, a huge percentange of our losses have come from away games.

I do know this. It seems just about everyone has penciled us in for a BCS game. Judging how we've been playing on the road, would anyone bet the house on it? :(

badger
11/3/2010, 11:27 AM
The media here is fairly tame compared to other markets. If this is the worst that Stoops has to deal with this year, it's really not that bad.

It is frustrating to not have a good record on the road, but really, I'd rather win at home than on the road, because I hardly get to go to road games anymore. Plus, 35 games in a row is a nice streak to keep going.

I think Stoops didn't talk up the road record because he doesn't want it to be distraction, much like he didn't talk up the home winning streak before FSU because he didn't want it to be a distraction.

Yup - we're beating the aggies :D

No1Better
11/3/2010, 11:29 AM
I'm huge Sooner fan, but let's call a spade a spade - no one underwhelms on the road more than Stoops coached teams.

Unless this is fixed, expect losses to pile up more than wins on the road.

With the talent and coaching we have, there's no excuse.

Glad to see the staff got huge raises to execute at a high level 50% of the time.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 11:31 AM
No, it's not a "true" article. Sitler is saying Stoops is in denial. That's horse****. Stoops isn't playing their game so he's taking a shot. Big difference here.

Exactly. Instead of giving the media what it wants ("I'm sorry! I'm sorry! We suck on the road! We're going to lose!") he's giving his players what they need (confidence).

Sittler is an idiot if he thinks Stoops can't see what we all see.

Critics contend OU would be undefeated if Stoops had utilized more blitzes to pressure Mizzou quarterback Blaine Gabbert, who completed 32-of-42 passes for 308 yards and no interceptions.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101103_202_B1_NORMAN288093

Who are these critics, and what are their qualifications? I would like to ask Dave Sittler that question and put him on the hot seat for a change.

Crimsontothecore
11/3/2010, 11:35 AM
I just get fed up with the Oklahoma media in general. They constantly look for anything negative about OU and then write their stories. The Tulsa sports animal is horrible in that regard. osu can lose by 14 points and get praised for "fighting hard" and "hanging in there" and "showing improvement".
OU, on the other hand, can win by 10 and get ridiculed for not playing well. Yes, I know expectations are higher for OU but sometimes it seems like some local media figures are just jealous of OU's dominance and tradition and they try to tear them down at every opportunity. osu is treated like the poor retarded little brother who needs encouragement.

sluggo sooner
11/3/2010, 11:37 AM

Dude, we won all our games - home and away - in 2004 except the MNC game. I am guessing that you mean after 2004.

oumartin
I'm hoping calling Bobby out on this subject will get him to play a little more reckless on the road.

Quit playing not to lose(win)

Leroy Lizard
Your perspective is noted, but a more realistic perspective is the fact that Stoops can't coach on the road...

This makes no sense. Why would coaching on the road be any different than coaching at home? Same size field. Same rules. Same players.

So tell us what Bob needs to do differently so that we can call him up and give him our wise advice on how to coach football.

On the road, of course. He already knows how to coach at home. :rolleyes:

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 11:39 AM

So he knew how to coach on the road at one time. Did he suffer a stroke? Or is he just forgetful?

oumartin
11/3/2010, 11:48 AM
So he knew how to coach on the road at one time. Did he suffer a stroke? Or is he just forgetful?

he forgot.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 11:50 AM
I'm hoping calling Bobby out on this subject will get him to play a little more reckless on the road.

Quit playing not to lose(win)

:rolleyes:

sluggo sooner
11/3/2010, 12:19 PM
In my most humble opinion, the biggest difference in the road records between the 2000-04 seasons and the 2005-09 seasons is the preparation of the quarterback for that season. In '05, we prepared PT and ended up playing Bomar. Bomar was going to be the starter in '06 but PT ended up playing – after having switched to wide receiver. In '07 Sam started as a RSFr. He beats Texas but loses in Boulder and Lubbock. Sam was the man again in '08. He loses to Texas but otherwise wins on the road. Sam's the man again for '09 until he's knocked out of the first game. Jones gets pressed into service with minimal preparation and we win all our home games but only win on the road in Lawrence and El Paso. Remarkably, we win 3 of our 6 Big 12 Championships during this stretch.

I believe that stability and experience at the quarterback position contributes to a team’s ability to win on the road. Heupel was a senior in 2000. Hybl and White competed against and replaced each other during the 2001-02 seasons as each suffered injury. White was the starter in 2003 and 2004. We had nowhere near that stability at the position from 2005-09.

Now, if we lose the remaining three away games, I’ll have to re-think this hypothesis.

soonervegas
11/3/2010, 12:25 PM
There are more people in denial than just Stoops.....

Keller Sooner
11/3/2010, 12:36 PM
A couple of those losses were not really losses. The Sooners were jobbed! Tech and Oregon come to mind. Without question, we need to play better on the road though. Hopefully we start Saturday.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 12:41 PM
Does Mack know how to prepare his team for a home game? Is he aware that his team has struggled at home this season?

The questions are just about as silly.

Always_Sooner
11/3/2010, 12:49 PM
The Proof is in the pudding, and yes, these days any given team can beat you on the road, but let's face it, Ou's road wins haven't been impressive in nature this season. There is still a lot of youth, and they don't know how to play with a lead. Even in 2008 with experience OU just outscored all of the opponets they were vulnerable to. The defense is also young and plays hard, but flips a switch off and on. I am not trying to rip Stoops and Company, but at the same time what is wrong with looking at this thread from an objective standpoint.

pappy
11/3/2010, 12:49 PM

True points, but I think that since A&M is kind of a cup cake team this year they won't be a problem. Okie lite will definitely be tough. I actually (can't believe I'm saying this) think Baylor will be our toughest game until the big 12 title/bcs bowl (if we get there) because they have a spread offense with a talented and very fast qb and he will give our defense all kinds of problems.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2010, 12:51 PM
People bring up the 5 losses in '09 for good reason. It's large % of OUr losses over the last few years. All teams play better at home and you see that included in point spreads - supported by statistics from people that just care about money. So all our opponents are better teams at their own field and combined with our '09 squad capabilities - they were just better than us. We earned every one of those losses. Sure they were close and you can always point a play or 2 and coaching decisions when things are close. And it's frustrating when you have an excellent D that keep you in the game, but an ineffective offense that cannot take advantage. But overall, the '09 squad was an average team and the record reflected that.

Always_Sooner
11/3/2010, 12:51 PM
I think Baylor will be tough Pappy, but let's remember that the Crimson and Creme will bring a huge following down to Waco, and it will nearly be a neutral field.

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 01:34 PM
Sittler, Tramel, ESPN...none of those guys opinions matter. How Bob responds to their BS does. If it translates to denial for the reporters then all Bob has to do is use their BS to motivate his players. The answer to our problems won't be found on a message board or a newspaper or blog. It will be found by our Team and the Coaches who lead them into the next battle.

Like Dean said....Bob doesn't owe them ****. If he was to win out and win a BCS Bowl Game....Sittler will probably take credit for inspiring Bob to do something about the Road losses and how his article really got Bob to thinking.

SoonerLB
11/3/2010, 01:48 PM
Note to Bob: Get out'a Da Nile, dere's crocodiles in dere! ;)

He knows better than anyone what is going on, and you guys know there has been some bad luck involved as well. OU isn't the only team that has occasional lapses when out of their comfort zone. Every team in the country values road wins, and for a reason, 'cause most don't play as well on the road.

And maybe it's just me, but to expect to win them all this year, there is going to have to be a magical appearance of some top-notch linemen on both sides of the ball.

Okie35
11/3/2010, 02:08 PM
True points, but I think that since A&M is kind of a cup cake team this year they won't be a problem. Okie lite will definitely be tough. I actually (can't believe I'm saying this) think Baylor will be our toughest game until the big 12 title/bcs bowl (if we get there) because they have a spread offense with a talented and very fast qb and he will give our defense all kinds of problems.

Yea he didn't give us problems two years ago but he's better and we don't have the same defense.

btb916
11/3/2010, 02:46 PM
What exactly are we pointing to when we say "we don't play well on the road anymore"?

Last year should be thrown out the window as an abberration. This year we won a tough game against Cinci and lost to a good Mizzou team, even though we probably should have beat them.

In 2008...we only lost to Texas.
In 2007...we lost to Colorado and Texas Tech, but Sam got a concussion in that Tech game and we still came close to winning it.
In 2006...Oregon (blah).
In 2005...we lost at UCLA.

I don't think we have any particular worry on the road. No coach can win every game every year, and I'd rather losses come on the road than at home. I think the real worry is bowl games.

EDIT: And by the way, I did not include in those stats losses in Dallas.

No1Better
11/3/2010, 03:25 PM
What exactly are we pointing to when we say "we don't play well on the road anymore"?

Last year should be thrown out the window as an abberration. This year we won a tough game against Cinci and lost to a good Mizzou team, even though we probably should have beat them.

In 2007...we lost to Colorado and Texas Tech, but Sam got a concussion in that Tech game and we still came close to winning it.
In 2006...Oregon (blah).

I don't think we have any particular worry on the road. No coach can win every game every year, and I'd rather losses come on the road than at home. I think the real worry is bowl games.

Agree about the bowl games, but also wanted to add the following:

With the exception of the UCLA and Texas teams, all the rest of those teams finished with four losses or more...

pappy
11/3/2010, 03:39 PM

In 2006...Oregon (blah).

Bowl games and neutral site games are also counted, but not included in your stat because they're away from home games and that's where we have problems.

pappy
11/3/2010, 03:41 PM
Yea he didn't give us problems two years ago but he's better and we don't have the same defense.

exactly. our defense has a real problem when they play a qb that can run out of the spread cause its basically the qb 1 on 1 with a lb and the fast qb wins that match up a lot of the time.

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2010, 03:48 PM

I don't think aTm will be a cupcake now that they have made the tough decision to bench Jerod Johnson. He was really hold them back. They have other issues too and no guarantee the new QB will perform, but I think they just got more dangerous.

mightysooner
11/3/2010, 05:20 PM
He's clearly in denial. The entire nation can see how sh*tty we are, and have been, on the road, and he most definitely goes too conservative and plays pass coverage only on the road.

Our teams don't play confidently on the road because they're not allowed to play confidently on the road. They're forced to play a "not lose" scheme on the road offensively, and defensively, because their leader has an overactive pucker muscle.

soonercastor
11/3/2010, 05:33 PM
He's clearly in denial. The entire nation can see how sh*tty we are, and have been, on the road, and he most definitely goes too conservative and plays pass coverage only on the road.

Our teams don't play confidently on the road because they're not allowed to play confidently on the road. They're forced to play a "not lose" scheme on the road offensively, and defensively, because their leader has an overactive pucker muscle.

hmmmm NO, you are STUPID if you think he doesn't know there is a problem. why would he admit it to the press? what good does it do to his team?

BoulderSooner79
11/3/2010, 05:40 PM

No, he is clearly stonewalling reporters. It's what he does and I doubt he'll change that anytime soon.

mightysooner
11/3/2010, 05:47 PM
hmmmm NO, you are STUPID if you think he doesn't know there is a problem. why would he admit it to the press? what good does it do to his team?

What good has it been doing his team to NOT admit it to the press when everybody in the nation sees it? It just makes him appear foolish deploying the old smoke-n-mirrors routine telling everybody that the spade they clearly see with their own eyes, isn't a spade. If he drops two out of the next three road contests, don't say the alarm bells weren't sounded.

Here's the real article to read about our road woes. It lays it out cut and dry. Facts.....is facts.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101103_92_B1_ULNSUs636953

MeMyself&Me
11/3/2010, 05:57 PM
Some of you really need to take 'coach speak' lessons. :rolleyes:

oumartin
11/3/2010, 06:00 PM
He knows the problem but won't address it. He might have to fire a dear friend.
Can't blame him there but maybe he forgot who signs his checks.

mightysooner
11/3/2010, 06:06 PM
He knows the problem but won't address it. He might have to fire a dear friend.
Can't blame him there but maybe he forgot who signs his checks.

While I have my criticisms of Venable's "ability", I don't think it's the assistants.

soonercastor
11/3/2010, 06:49 PM
What good has it been doing his team to NOT admit it to the press when everybody in the nation sees it? It just makes him appear foolish deploying the old smoke-n-mirrors routine telling everybody that the spade they clearly see with their own eyes, isn't a spade. If he drops two out of the next three road contests, don't say the alarm bells weren't sounded.

Here's the real article to read about our road woes. It lays it out cut and dry. Facts.....is facts.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101103_92_B1_ULNSUs636953

we all know about our "road woes." As pointed earlier it would have been difficult to win last year for obvious reasons and that's what make that road record look that "bad." If he hasn't noticed it then we're ****ED, no doubt. But if we all have noticed it then he probably has to and is doing things to turn it around. If you think telling the press that "yes we've been horrible on the road" will solve the problem, then let's all email him and ask him to make a statement about it :rolleyes:

UTgradOUfan
11/3/2010, 09:45 PM
I guess I'm watching different games than some of you. What I see is a team with an amazing number of very young players playing at a very high level.
On both sides of the ball.
If we don't win out I will be disappointed. BUT I think our coaching staff has done an outstanding job getting so many young guys to play as well as they have. How can you have been watching the Sooners play this year and not think that w/ another year of development how scary good we are gonna be the next. And the next.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 10:36 PM
Who are these critics, and what are their qualifications? I would like to ask Dave Sittler that question and put him on the hot seat for a change.

Hint: They all post here.

pappy
11/3/2010, 11:54 PM
I guess I'm watching different games than some of you. What I see is a team with an amazing number of very young players playing at a very high level.
On both sides of the ball.
If we don't win out I will be disappointed. BUT I think our coaching staff has done an outstanding job getting so many young guys to play as well as they have. How can you have been watching the Sooners play this year and not think that w/ another year of development how scary good we are gonna be the next. And the next.

Because its not just *this* year.

The future is definitely bright though...looking forward to it.

fnulnu007
11/4/2010, 08:36 AM

I agree with your statement, but at some point you have to wonder what he is "really" doing about it because whatever he is doing is not working. I am not offering any suggestions on what he could do, but whatever it is does not seem to be getting through to the players. I will say it, I think Bob Stoops has lost a little bit of his mojo. It happens to all the great coaches as some point. Just hoping he figures it out and can turn our road woes around.

C&CDean
11/4/2010, 09:32 AM
Y'all need to read the players' comments in this morning's Oklahoma Daily (the campus rag). They address the road woes. Broyles, Landry, and a couple of others. Guess what they say? Paraphrased: Broyles - "we've got to play better in the 4th quarter. We go soft out there." Landry - "I've got to play better in the 4th quarter. Complete all my reads, stop making poor decisions, make better throws."

This team - for whatever reason - only plays 3 quarters on the road. According to the coaches AND players, they don't change schemes or anything else in the 4th. The players are taking it upon themselves to fix the "softness" (one of them called it that) they exhibit late in road games. Maybe this will be the week they exorcise the demons. I sure ****ing hope so cause I can't take many more 4th quarter meltdowns.

C&CDean
11/4/2010, 09:51 AM
OK, here's the quotes:

Travis Lewis: "We have a very young team, and I think everybody feels comfortable at home. But when we go on the road, I don't want to say that we play with the same fire because we prepare great, we have great practices, and I feel like we're more fired up on the road. We're losing something on the way, and we need to find that. Not that we play horrible; even the Missouri game was 20-21 in the 4th quarter, and we were up. So mainly it's finishing that fourth quarter and having that right mindset and taking it on the road."

Landry: "We can't just go in there and be loose with the ball, and I can't be kind of iffy on my reads. I have to be locked in and know where I'm going with the ball and not turn the ball over."

Broyles: "It's one of those things that have haunted us since last year all the way up till our last road game against Missouri. We have a chip on our shoulder, and we have to play our game. Everybody has us circled on the schedule. They want to make a name for themselves for beating us, and we understand that."

No1Better
11/7/2010, 12:09 PM

We beat Tech and Baylor, but expect a loss at the hands of OSU....