PDA

View Full Version : Today's Stoops Presser

SoonerPr8r
11/2/2010, 01:32 PM
He sounded like he was going to take some of the media guys heads off. :D

And he is not going to run for any kind of public office.
:pop:

yermom
11/2/2010, 01:48 PM
he seemed to have calmed down by lunchtime :D

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 02:29 PM
Did he confirm that he will be replacing Wade Phillips? :D

Joe Kane
11/2/2010, 02:34 PM
This reminds me of one time when coach had to face the media about leaving his job at ESU.

agoo758
11/2/2010, 03:02 PM
Just finished watching it. Certainly one of the more stimulating ones ive seen. :D

Scott D
11/2/2010, 03:03 PM
he is totally replacing Mack Brown, what are you talking about Wade Phillips.

OK2U
11/2/2010, 03:25 PM
It doesn't help that every questions was about ancient history. Who here would like to be asked repeatedly why you aren't as good as you used to be?

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 03:28 PM
Who here would like to be asked repeatedly why you aren't as good as you used to be?

You definitely don't want her to ask you that

;)

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 03:33 PM
What was Stoopsy puffing up about today?

stoopified
11/2/2010, 03:35 PM
I really don't blame Bob for getting irritated by stupid questions.

Collier11
11/2/2010, 03:36 PM
about questions as to why we arent better on the road

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 03:37 PM
Is that an unreasonable question?

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 03:38 PM
What's unfair about asking that? It's kind of been a thorn in our side a little bit, no?

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 03:40 PM
One of the reporters brought the "middle" question about the defense.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 03:40 PM
What's unfair about asking that? It's kind of been a thorn in our side a little bit, no?

well he said we still play better on the road than most teams

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 03:41 PM
One of the reporters brought the "middle" question about the defense.

Did that also incur his wrath or something?

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah. We're not most teams. That's kind of the whole reason he's still here. Because this place is special.

Sorry, but I don't want to hear that kind of crap.

picasso
11/2/2010, 03:46 PM
I'm curious what you guys would rather have?

Sharp, edgy, defensive Bob Stoops or slick, dancing and drooling Mack Brown?

badger
11/2/2010, 03:50 PM
It seemed that Stoops was most irate about the home versus away game win/loss record.

Link (http://newsok.com/ou-coach-bob-stoops-doesnt-see-road-woes-as-being-an-issue/article/3510475?custom_click=headlines_widget)

Basically, reporters were pressing him on how he's got a big-arse winning streak going at home, but away the record is close to .500 during the past five or so seasons.

Really, Stoops probably could have ended the discussion by asking the reporter what our road record at College Station has been during the past five years - perfect. Haven't lost there since 2002, if I'm not mistaken. On top of that, haven't lost to A&M since :rcmad: was still coach. Amazingly, you fire a coach for losing to Texas but beating OU, but then fire the next one for losing to OU but beating Texas. I know there's more to it than that, but eff them, they made two bad coaching hires. Aaaaaaaaa.... whoooop!

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 03:55 PM
bahahaha, someone asked him to compare last year to Texas this year. And Bob, being very slick, said he wouldn't get into that but managed to slip the word "injuries" in his answer. Brilliant!

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 03:56 PM
I'd like to see what everybody else's record is too. How he can deny there's not a huge disparity in performances at home vs. the road is really kind of sad. Everyone can see it.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 04:01 PM
well, really it's only been these last two years; and last year obviously we had a freshman QB and a very young team (although the defense was insane). So really we're looking really at this year and so far 1-1 on true road games (2-1 if you include *). So let's see how this year turns out.

The main thing is that our home record is GREAT that's why our road record looks bad, but really it's way above average.

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 04:08 PM
http://www.bobstoops.com/

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 04:18 PM
well, really it's only been these last two years; and last year obviously we had a freshman QB and a very young team (although the defense was insane). So really we're looking really at this year and so far 1-1 on true road games (2-1 if you include *). So let's see how this year turns out.

The main thing is that our home record is GREAT that's why our road record looks bad, but really it's way above average.

No it's not. It's barely .500. How is that way above average?

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see what everybody else's record is too. How he can deny there's not a huge disparity in performances at home vs. the road is really kind of sad. Everyone can see it.

Him denying things he doesn't focus on might seem sad to you...but to me it shows that he just doesn't focus on stuff like that as a Coach. It's quite obvious to me that he focuses on winning a lot more that comparing his Team to other Teams. He focuses on beating the Team he is going to face next. I don't see that being sad...I see it as normal.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2010, 04:21 PM
Can't stop Troup!!

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 04:23 PM
Him denying things he doesn't focus on might seem sad to you...but to me it shows that he just doesn't focus on stuff like that as a Coach. It's quite obvious to me that he focuses on winning a lot more that comparing his Team to other Teams. He focuses on beating the Team he is going to face next. I don't see that being sad...I see it as normal.

Actually, he does exactly that in the presser. When asked about his road record, his retort is "I don't see that being an issue". Which to me is alarming at best. Then went on to say that his record probably compared favorably to other teams.

BoulderSooner79
11/2/2010, 04:24 PM
I guess we need to drop a few more home games to make things look more balanced. But I hate to ever do what the horns are doing.

SoonerLB
11/2/2010, 04:27 PM
Press conferences are 95% ignorant/stupid questions asked by morans and idjits. If knowledge were a prerequisite in order to ask coaches and players a question, there wouldn't be many people in the room on most days.

The dumb-arses don't realize that all the info they need is right here on SF! :D

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 04:32 PM
No it's not. It's barely .500. How is that way above average?

Like I said, you remove last year (5 losses) and that record is way above average. Unless you want to include last year it's a different story, but we are all aware os what we went through last year as far as injuries.

soonersweetie
11/2/2010, 04:34 PM
Yeah. We're not most teams. That's kind of the whole reason he's still here. Because this place is special.

Sorry, but I don't want to hear that kind of crap.

My thoughts exactly.

NormanPride
11/2/2010, 04:41 PM
Didn't we win against Colorado?

rainiersooner
11/2/2010, 04:44 PM

Or even more to the point, maybe he does focus on the team's performance on the road, but realizes that it requires work on the practice field to fix it, and thinks its a waste of time to answer the same questions over and over to the media.

I like watching the press conferences, I'm glad he does them, but honestly, I'm surprised he doesn't jump over the podium more often and b*tch slap the press.

pappy
11/2/2010, 04:46 PM
Didn't we win against Colorado?

home game silly.

badger
11/2/2010, 04:46 PM
I think there's no question that Stoops values home wins above away wins... but then again, most teams probably do. If teams also had the home winning streak that we had going, then hey, they'd probably value it a lot more too!

Away losses... you know, you really have to look at the circumstances rather than just home=win, away=loss.

Plus, like I said earlier - we haven't lost at aTm since 2002. So, have to agree with Stoops that bringing up the road record this week? NOT an issue.

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 04:48 PM
Actually, he does exactly that in the presser. When asked about his road record, his retort is "I don't see that being an issue". Which to me is alarming at best. Then went on to say that his record probably compared favorably to other teams.

And he's right. He's one of the Elite. Some of you can choose to think differently and it's your choice to do so. You can choose to be poised and ready to melt down every time we lose a game or you can realize just how special it is when a Team does pull off a Perfect Season...especially if it's a high caliber Team like OUrs.

Scott D
personally I think it's a waste of time to answer questions from the likes of jenni carlson, berry trammel, bob berry, etc...

pappy
I think there's no question that Stoops values home wins above away wins... but then again, most teams probably do. If teams also had the home winning streak that we had going, then hey, they'd probably value it a lot more too!

Away losses... you know, you really have to look at the circumstances rather than just home=win, away=loss.

Plus, like I said earlier - we haven't lost at aTm since 2002. So, have to agree with Stoops that bringing up the road record this week? NOT an issue.

Agreed we should destroy A&M this year...regardless of location. They suck!

Fraggle145
11/2/2010, 04:49 PM

The teams we need to be comparing away records against are teams like Florida, USC, tOSU, Bama, LSU and Texas... Other teams that are in the same class as us over the last 5 seasons.

I guarantee ours is worse than every one of them.

Fraggle145
11/2/2010, 04:50 PM
And he's right. He's one of the Elite. Some of you can choose to think differently and it's your choice to do so. You can choose to be poised and ready to melt down every time we lose a game or you can realize just how special it is when a Team does pull off a Perfect Season...especially if it's a high caliber Team like OUrs.

Actually, I dont think he is... see my previous post.

NormanPride
11/2/2010, 04:50 PM
home game silly.

No, no... I mean why is everyone so agitated? It's like the Colorado game doesn't count.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 04:51 PM
The teams we need to be comparing away records against are teams like Florida, USC, tOSU, Bama, LSU and Texas... Other teams that are in the same class as us over the last 5 seasons.

I guarantee ours is worse than every one of them.

depends of what span you're looking at, give me a window and I will show you those records. Keep in mind that they don't have the home record that we have as well.

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 04:51 PM
Or even more to the point, maybe he does focus on the team's performance on the road, but realizes that it requires work on the practice field to fix it, and thinks its a waste of time to answer the same questions over and over to the media.

I like watching the press conferences, I'm glad he does them, but honestly, I'm surprised he doesn't jump over the podium more often and b*tch slap the press.

Fair enough. Only Bob knows what he thinks. The experts who seem to think they know what he should be thinking should go Coach somewhere. There are over 100 other Schools in Div IA that need them to straighten out their programs.

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 04:53 PM

We hadn't lost to Missouri, at Missouri, EVER under Stoops until two weeks ago so how we can say "NOT an issue" at aTm, when we've lost there with much better teams than this one before, escapes me. I sure hope you're right.

NormanPride
11/2/2010, 04:58 PM
People act like losing on the road at Mizzou is proof that our team is terrible and Stoops can't coach. Isn't Missouri good?

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 05:03 PM
At some point the media wants a confessional. Bob isn't going to give it to them.

Fraggle145
11/2/2010, 05:03 PM
depends of what span you're looking at, give me a window and I will show you those records. Keep in mind that they don't have the home record that we have as well.

They were saying since 2005 he is ~50:50 in games away from home. something like 18-16

For example:
Florida
Since 2005 away from home:
True Road Games: 15-6
Cocktail Party: 5-1
SEC Champ: 2-1
Bowl Games: 4-1
Total: 26-9

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 05:04 PM
We hadn't lost to Missouri, at Missouri, EVER under Stoops until two weeks ago so how we can say "NOT an issue" at aTm, when we've lost there with much better teams than this one before, escapes me. I sure hope you're right.

A squirrel is gonna get a nut every now and then. Sometimes Teams that aren't your best Teams do amazing things. If you don't think it's true....you simply need to watch all 13 games we played in 2000 to bring Home the MNC.

pappy
11/2/2010, 05:05 PM
Like I said, you remove last year (5 losses) and that record is way above average. Unless you want to include last year it's a different story, but we are all aware os what we went through last year as far as injuries.

And if we wouldn't include the missouri game this year we'd still be undefeated. I like this leaving games out idea. Every team should look into this. Its brilliant.

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 05:06 PM
My pinkel is itchy

theSoonertheBetter
11/2/2010, 05:08 PM
Where can I watch the press conferences online?

pappy
11/2/2010, 05:08 PM
Does everyone on here consider Utah State to be a great men's basketball program because of their home record with their current head coach? 176 - 13.

I for one think that's pretty impressive. Just saw that on yahoo talking about the best non conference games.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 05:09 PM
And if we wouldn't include the missouri game this year we'd still be undefeated. I like this leaving games out idea. Every team should look into this. Its brilliant.

NO, I was pointing out the fact that those ROAD losses come from a DOWN year that we had, thus are SOMEWHAT justified.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 05:10 PM
Where can I watch the press conferences online?

soonersports.com

pappy
11/2/2010, 05:12 PM
NO, I was pointing out the fact that those ROAD losses come from a DOWN year that we had, thus are SOMEWHAT justified.

other programs have those too...do they get a free pass on their record too?

Fraggle145
11/2/2010, 05:17 PM
other programs have those too...do they get a free pass on their record too?

Florida's down year in 2005 is included in those stats.

Fraggle145
11/2/2010, 05:20 PM
OU
since 2005
True Road Games: 15-9
RRS: 2-4
BIGXII Champ: 3-0
Bowl: 2-3
BYU (Arlington): 0-1
Total Away: 22-16

At least this is the best I can figure.

badger
11/2/2010, 05:26 PM
so much confusion.... you know what? just beat aggie. beat the aggie till they whoop no more. beat the aggie till every last deck from third to field level is emptified. beat the aggie till they consider themselves not only outscored, but out of time. beat the aggie till reveille barkingly dismisses their classes. beat the aggie till $20 million will not keep them from the SEC, for they have been beaten by OU one too many times and will no longer want to be in the same conference as us. for we have beaten the aggie, and the aggie doesn't like it.

tulsaoilerfan
11/2/2010, 06:29 PM
I'm not sure it's just the losses, but how many close games have the Sooners had on the road over the last 5 years? We have lost Bowl games when we were favored and had some pretty close games against mediocre teams on the road including a couple we lost that we shouldn't have; IMO it's a legit question that can only be answered by winning these last 3 road games

SunnySooner
11/2/2010, 07:04 PM
I posted about this in the "What would you change" thread, and my basic point is--something is off--we shouldn't look that much different away from home than we do in Norman, and something should be done to try to fix it.

Get someone to analyze EVERYTHING about road trips, from flights to meals, ALL of it, and start making changes and see if it helps. It can't hurt, and it might help, who knows. Just start tweaking until you find a formula that works, until the team that plays in the white unis looks as good as the one that plays in the red unis.

swardboy
11/2/2010, 07:44 PM
Where's the SWAGGER away from home....yeah, I said it!!!

VA Sooner
11/2/2010, 08:16 PM
Swagger starts this weekend!

StoopTroup
11/2/2010, 09:05 PM
Swagger takes the itch outta my pinkel.

pappy
11/2/2010, 09:51 PM
I posted about this in the "What would you change" thread, and my basic point is--something is off--we shouldn't look that much different away from home than we do in Norman, and something should be done to try to fix it.

Get someone to analyze EVERYTHING about road trips, from flights to meals, ALL of it, and start making changes and see if it helps. It can't hurt, and it might help, who knows. Just start tweaking until you find a formula that works, until the team that plays in the white unis looks as good as the one that plays in the red unis.

yep.

oudavid1
11/3/2010, 02:28 AM
I thought i was the only one who got excited for Bobs weekly conference, i havnt missed one yet. Of course i want to be a coach so its really really exciting.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 02:49 AM
Get someone to analyze EVERYTHING about road trips, from flights to meals, ALL of it, and start making changes and see if it helps. It can't hurt, and it might help, who knows.

Actually, it can hurt. If you overly focus on trying to fix a problem you can make it worse. And I don't think the secret lies in the in-flight movie or the model of bus used to transport the team.

Accumulating a ton of data will only muddy the issue. IMO, there is only one cure for the road woes: You just have to string a few good performances together. Sometimes you just have to fight through it and gain confidence. It takes patience and support.

Unfortunately, support is fleeting when it comes to a rabid fan base and stupid journalists. They want answers now. IMO, screw 'em! Just play your game.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 05:08 AM
That post is SOOOOOOOOOOO Leroy! lol

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 05:41 AM
Usually everyone says I'm, like, totally inconsistent.