The
11/2/2010, 01:20 PM
http://mimg.ugo.com/201004/42616/cuts/tommy-chong_288x288.jpg

Rock on, pot supporting dude.

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 01:21 PM
Be back in a couple of hours. :pop:

:D

Do you need help finding the voting booth?

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 01:23 PM
Do you need help finding the voting booth?Nope. I'm good.

Of course, I don't smoke pot. But I also don't think the Government has any place telling people that they can't smoke pot. Especially while also saying that it's okay to drink alcohol (which I DO partake in, occasionally).

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:27 PM
I agree, can we also allow steroids is sports? Or how about acid for performers.

The
11/2/2010, 01:28 PM
I agree, can we also allow steroids is sports? Or how about acid for performers.

I save my doses for skydiving and bullfights.

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 01:28 PM
Meth!

The
11/2/2010, 01:29 PM
Meth!

Say what you will, but it gets the house damn clean...

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:29 PM
Meth!

But according to pokie fans we already partake of this by the truckload.;)

oumartin
11/2/2010, 01:43 PM
Legalize it and tax the heck outta it. I feel that way about pot, booze, smokes and the pr@stitution.

olevetonahill
11/2/2010, 01:45 PM
You leave My Hos and whiskey alone.:mad:

Sooner98
Prediction:

2024 California ballot initiative: FREE THE HEROIN!!!

tommieharris91
Know who else smoked a lot of pot? The Nazis.

The
2024 California ballot initiative: FREE THE HEROIN!!!

I hope so.

olevetonahill
11/2/2010, 01:47 PM

So yer sayin they wernt ALL bad huh ?

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:48 PM
I remember when I was 20.

The
11/2/2010, 01:48 PM
I remember when I was 20.

I don't. I was pretty high at the time.

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/2/2010, 01:51 PM
Actually they were in to meth.

Pokes=Nazis

Bourbon St Sooner
11/2/2010, 01:52 PM
Smoke em if ya got em!

saucysoonergal
frickin Rush listening hippy. ;)

Oldnslo
Legalize it and tax the heck outta it. I feel that way about pot, booze, smokes and the pr@stitution.

and that way, the government ends up supporting vice!

there's no good solution to the problem. On the other hand, what we're doing now sure isn't working.

badger
11/2/2010, 01:53 PM
So how soon does the Supreme Court (federal or state level) throw this out after your state votes for it? I worry the same thing about a majority of our state questions... hope most of them don't pass

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:54 PM
I'm wondering if the fed lawyers are lining up as we speak. (federal law > state law)

The
11/2/2010, 01:54 PM
On a serious note, this thread title is all kinds of delicious win. And I don't even smoke pot.

Collier11
11/2/2010, 01:55 PM
Its amazing the hipocracy of some drinkers, there was a study that just came out in the news the other day saying that Beer is more dangerous than cocaine. But we dont want pot legalized because...?...it will increase Taco Bells profits? No clue, please explain to someone who doesnt smoke pot anymore although I may or may not have a few times in college

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:56 PM
beer more dangerous than coke??? I'm sorry if i laughed in your face...

The

Coke smells good.

SouthCarolinaSooner
That would result in a black market for good/service x, just like we have now

Collier11
11/2/2010, 01:57 PM

Im not stating it is true or not, I dont know, but there was a study released nationally just the other day that said this. Also, I can say first hand that I did far stupider things on alcohol than I ever did on pot

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:57 PM

You mean people would not be satisfied with the available taxed product??? go figure.

olevetonahill
11/2/2010, 01:58 PM
Unlike an Ex Pres. I did Smoke the Pot and INHALE i also banged that chick ;)

Collier11
11/2/2010, 02:00 PM
here is an article on the study, take it FWIW

http://www.thestar.com/article/883870--why-study-says-alcohol-more-dangerous-than-heroin-cocaine

SoonerProphet
11/2/2010, 02:01 PM
Here we go.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/nov/01/alcohol-more-harmful-than-heroin-crack

Oldnslo
11/2/2010, 02:08 PM
These arguments are more effective at criminalizing alcohol than legalizing some other substance.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 02:12 PM
These arguments are more effective at criminalizing alcohol than legalizing some other substance.

I agree, anyone that studies statisics knows they can be manipulated any which way you want.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 02:17 PM
here is an article on the study, take it FWIW

http://www.thestar.com/article/883870--why-study-says-alcohol-more-dangerous-than-heroin-cocaine

Thanks for the link. One thing that I noticed is that to prove his study correct he cite dthe problems of alcahol in modern society. I wonder if he factored in the number of people using.

salth2o
11/2/2010, 02:37 PM
LAS, are there any reports of the chance for this to pass? I own a stock that has the chance to sky rocket if it does. I have already made a lot of money on it, but could make a lot more if this thing passes.

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2010, 02:43 PM
Do you think all those Giants fans smoking outside AT&T Park last week helped or hurt the cause, LAS?

And BTW, this libertarian supports Prop 19.

And thinks the Dodgers can suck it.

Scott D
11/2/2010, 02:50 PM
From what I've heard it's likely going to not pass. The Medicinal Marijuana crowd apparently is against it.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 02:53 PM
Legalize it and tax the heck outta it. I feel that way about pot, booze, smokes and the [email protected]?! You and I CAN agree on something! :)

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 02:54 PM
Know who else smoked a lot of pot? The Nazis.No way, man. It was meth.

If they were into pot it would have been the "Whatevskrieg."

Collier11
11/2/2010, 02:55 PM
See?! You and I CAN agree on something! :)

all of that is fine except for booze :D

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 02:55 PM
That's because you're thinking of Oklahoma's 3.2 "water/beer" instead of the big kid stuff the rest of us drink. :D

Ike
11/2/2010, 02:58 PM
So how soon does the Supreme Court (federal or state level) throw this out after your state votes for it? I worry the same thing about a majority of our state questions... hope most of them don't pass

I would think that while passage of this proposition would make the pot-related activities mentioned in the bill legal under california law, they will still be illegal under federal law.

What I presume that will mean is that California will tell the feds "you wanna go after the pot-heads? Send your people down here, and do it on your dime. We won't be helping. We've got better things to do."

Some lawyer on here can correct me if I'm wrong.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 02:59 PM
Please point me to the "black market" cigarettes and "black market" booze that's being made everywhere.

Or was that "whoosh sound" the sound of your sarcasm flying over my head? :O

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 02:59 PM
I would think that while passage of this proposition would make the pot-related activities mentioned in the bill legal under california law, they will still be illegal under federal law.

What I presume that will mean is that California will tell the feds "you wanna go after the pot-heads? Send your people down here, and do it on your dime. We won't be helping."

And the Feds will say, "You will be helping, or you won't see any more money from us."

And California will say, "Otay!"

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:02 PM
LAS, are there any reports of the chance for this to pass? I own a stock that has the chance to sky rocket if it does. I have already made a lot of money on it, but could make a lot more if this thing passes.No clue. It's a mixed bag. The biggest opponents are (as usual) the Mormons from OUT OT STATE (who are always meddling in our state's politics like a bunch of jackholes) and the independent medical marijuana growers who stand to lose a LOT of money if it passes.

Do you think all those Giants fans smoking outside AT&T Park last week helped or hurt the cause, LAS?

And BTW, this libertarian supports Prop 19.

And thinks the Dodgers can suck it.I think seeing people smoke pot and not become crazy only helps demystify pot use. It's nowhere NEAR as dangerous as booze, that's for sure.

And get off my poor Dodgers' case. :(

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:03 PM

What I presume that will mean is that California will tell the feds "you wanna go after the pot-heads? Send your people down here, and do it on your dime. We won't be helping. We've got better things to do."

Some lawyer on here can correct me if I'm wrong.
Actually we've already told the Feds EXACTLY that which is why we have so many medical marijuana dispensaries all over the place.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 03:04 PM
Actually we've already told the Feds EXACTLY that which is why we have so many medical marijuana dispensaries all over the place.

IMO the feds will look at this a little differently.

oumartin
11/2/2010, 03:07 PM
See?! You and I CAN agree on something! :)

:eek:

Heck I even wanted to move out there with you.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:15 PM
And the Feds will say, "You will be helping, or you won't see any more money from us."

And California will say, "Otay!"You DO realize that California gives more money TO the Fed than we take FROM the Fed, don't you?

Wait...what was I thinking. Of course you don't. That's another one of those pesky facts that get in the way of your blind generalizations and false narratives. :D

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:16 PM
:eek:

Heck I even wanted to move out there with you.I've got a spare bedroom you could crash in.

But you'd have to wear an "I love Barbara in my Boxers" t-shirt all the time.

Not because I love her, but more because I know how grumpy it would make you. :D

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:17 PM
IMO the feds will look at this a little differently.
They can "look at it" all they want. There's just not much they can do about it.

Unless you can foresee some modern day Elliot Ness coming to California to "clean up the pot mess."

I sure don't.

Scott D
11/2/2010, 03:19 PM
I'll be there on thursday.

oumartin
11/2/2010, 03:22 PM
I've got a spare bedroom you could crash in.

But you'd have to wear an "I love Barbara in my Boxers" t-shirt all the time.

Not because I love her, but more because I know how grumpy it would make you. :D

You only offered two weeks too late now you'll never get to see me in those boxers.

Oh, and I'd do her so feeling sexy in some boxers with her name might be a slight turn on actually. I would have a chubby all the time and I don't think you could handle that.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 03:24 PM
They can "look at it" all they want. There's just not much they can do about it.

Unless you can foresee some modern day Elliot Ness coming to California to "clean up the pot mess."

I sure don't.

I don't think anyone would need to come to Cali, they have plenty there that would probably do the Govt's bidding.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:30 PM
You only offered two weeks too late now you'll never get to see me in those boxers.

Oh, and I'd do her so feeling sexy in some boxers with her name might be a slight turn on actually. I would have a chubby all the time and I don't think you could handle that.*shudder*

The thought of your "chubby" just un-rented my spare bedroom...forevs.

I don't think anyone would need to come to Cali, they have plenty there that would probably do the Govt's bidding.
Not enough. Trust me.

You have NO idea how easily obtained, wide spread and accepted pot use is in ALL of California ALREADY.

Once it's legalized...well...it would be like attempting prohibition again.

Ain't gonna happen. I'm tellin' ya.

And more states will follow soon...guaranteed. Washington and Oregon and Massachusetts are not far behind us, among others.

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2010, 03:44 PM
Nope. I'm good.

Of course, I don't smoke pot. But I also don't think the Government has any place telling people that they can't smoke pot. Especially while also saying that it's okay to drink alcohol (which I DO partake in, occasionally).

When you are right -- you are right. You are right.

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2010, 03:46 PM
This is one of those issues where it's time for conservatives to truly balls up and practice what they preach. If conservatives truly believe in individual liberty and freedom from an intrusive government in our private lives then pot legalization should be a no brainer.

However, for conservatives who want to selectively apply the concept of individual liberty by denying it on tougher issues like legalization and gay marriage...well, I think that shows how truly "conservative" they really are.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 03:47 PM
This is one of those issues where it's time for conservatives to truly balls up and practice what they preach. If conservatives truly believe in individual liberty and freedom from an intrusive government in our private lives then pot legalization should be a no brainer.

However, for conservatives who want to selectively apply the concept of individual liberty by denying it on tougher issues like legalization and gay marriage...well, I think that shows how truly "conservative" they really are.

I think this is more of a Libertarian issue than Conservative.

SicEmBaylor
11/2/2010, 03:51 PM
I think this is more of a Libertarian issue than Conservative.

Au contraire. The true root of conservatism lies in libertarianism (small l).

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:52 PM

It's that same fringe group that is messing up our party.

They selectively choose which conservative principles they adhere to just as much as they selectively choose which religious passages in the Bible they believe in...or which Constitutional Amendments they think are sacred and which should be changed.

The hypocrisy is what kills me.

Then they turn around and call people like me "dirty Libs" because we're truer Republicans than they are.

Idiocy.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:53 PM
When you're right, you're right. You are right.

It doesn't happen often, though. ;)

Howzit
11/2/2010, 03:53 PM
If conservatives truly believe in individual liberty and freedom from an intrusive government in our private lives then pot legalization should be a no brainer.

The problem is that they also believe in Reefer Madness.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 03:54 PM

But most of the veiws of conservatism (as far as the issue at hand) are steeped in 19th century thinking.

I kind of lean more true libertarian on this junk, I don't do it, don't want my kids to do it, but if you want to screw up yer own life then more power to ya ! (generally speaking, not pointing to you)....lol

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 03:57 PM
Pot smoking (in the extreme) doesn't screw up your life as much as booze drinking (in the extreme).

MR2-Sooner86
11/2/2010, 04:45 PM
FREE THE WEED!!!

SunnySooner
11/2/2010, 05:19 PM
Alright, all you pot-heads--I'm a pot virgin. I mean it, really, I grew up in Sequoyah county, famed worldwide for our allsome weed, and then I went to colledge and got edumacated at OU for 4 years, and still, all that time...I've never smoked pot. Drank like a little blond fish at times, but never raided 7/11 at 4 am for Mountain Dew and Twinkies.

So tell me, how's the buzz? How does it compare to a 6 pack of Harp, a "few" glasses of a nice Pinot Noir, or a coupla Long Island Ice Teas with some tequila chasers? How does it compare to the Percocet I get when my knee gets whacked on, again? Is it really that much better or different that we need to have it as readily available as the other things in my list? I mean, what's the BFD here? If you want to get high, there are perfectly legal ways to do it already, why do we need to have pot in the mix? Jus' curious.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 05:23 PM
It made me not care and made everything funnier than it was, Like alcahol with a sleeping pill.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 05:42 PM
If you want to kill chronic pain there are few things better. Same goes for migraines. If Percy Harvin could smoke a doob, he'd never miss a game.

The buzz varies from plant to plant. Some are mellow, some give you tons of energy and some are more hallucinogenic.

The biggest thing, by far, is you don't feel like crap the next day, ever, and it isn't physically addictive like booze is.

Plus you can grow it at your house instead of buying it from the store.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 05:46 PM
Plus you can grow it at your house instead of buying it from the store.

How will that mesh with the new law? I know with booze you better pay your taxes on it.

sooner59
11/2/2010, 05:50 PM
It makes normal food the best thing you have ever eaten. And it makes good food give your taste buds an orgasm. It makes you lazy and less likely to leave your house and endanger others. Mostly because you have everything you need at home (or could get delivery) or you are too paranoid to leave the house so you just stay at home and snack and watch funny stuff on tv, or watch Planet Earth because it blows your mind. Music is better, and everything around you is more interesting.

You can't overdose, you will just fall asleep. Some people say it makes them sick, but only if they do it after drinking. Nothing really evil about it. Just makes you feel good....in a different way from alcohol, and less likely to endanger yourself or others when you do it. Some people....that's all they do, and they are lazy worthless potheads. Then again, some people....all they do is drink, and they become alcoholics, which is tad more serious healthwise, especially since it can easily become addictive, whereas I have only met a couple people who I might say were addicted to pot, but only because they were worthless to begin with, it didn't make them that way.

I personally believe taboo is the only reason it is illegal and alcohol is not. There isn't really any medical reason for it. And I would bet that it would become much less of a big deal if legalized than people think. Plus states could certainly use the tax dollars. I don't really care that much as I am too busy to be doing it and too broke to afford it either way.

But most people who think that its terrible and should never be allowed are people that have never done it, so they think it is a bigger deal than it really is. I don't want high judges, doctors, government officials, cops, etc. Then again I don't want drunk ones either. Moderation is key for most things and just knowing the appropriate time and place to handle your personal business so it minimalizes any endangering of the public.

Blue
11/2/2010, 05:53 PM
It's that same fringe group that is messing up our party.

They selectively choose which conservative principles they adhere to just as much as they selectively choose which religious passages in the Bible they believe in...or which Constitutional Amendments they think are sacred and which should be changed.

The hypocrisy is what kills me.

Then they turn around and call people like me "dirty Libs" because we're truer Republicans than they are.

Idiocy.

Fair enough but are you being a "true" conservative by wanting health care mandated and run by Big Brother?

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 06:00 PM
Fair enough but are you being a "true" conservative by wanting health care mandated and run by Big Brother?
This thread is about pot.

Start a new thread, okay?

And when you start it, explain how you're okay with Medicare and Medicaid and health care for our troops which are all mandated and run by Big Brother before you ask that question, okay? ;)

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 06:02 PM
How will that mesh with the new law? I know with booze you better pay your taxes on it.
The proposed bill allows for a 5' x 5' plot for pot so people can grow their own at their own homes. It also makes it illegal (arrestable) to smoke pot in front of a minor (but you can drink in front of a minor), which is a bit extreme in my opinion, but a step in the right direction.

Blue
11/2/2010, 06:05 PM
This thread is about pot.

Start a new thread, okay?

And when you start it, explain how you're okay with Medicare and Medicaid and health care for our troops which are all mandated and run by Big Brother before you ask that question, okay? ;)

Nah.

I got no problem w/ pot.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 06:10 PM
It makes normal food the best thing you have ever eaten. And it makes good food give your taste buds an orgasm. It makes you lazy and less likely to leave your house and endanger others. Mostly because you have everything you need at home (or could get delivery) or you are too paranoid to leave the house so you just stay at home and snack and watch funny stuff on tv, or watch Planet Earth because it blows your mind. Music is better, and everything around you is more interesting.

You can't overdose, you will just fall asleep. Some people say it makes them sick, but only if they do it after drinking. Nothing really evil about it. Just makes you feel good....in a different way from alcohol, and less likely to endanger yourself or others when you do it. Some people....that's all they do, and they are lazy worthless potheads. Then again, some people....all they do is drink, and they become alcoholics, which is tad more serious healthwise, especially since it can easily become addictive, whereas I have only met a couple people who I might say were addicted to pot, but only because they were worthless to begin with, it didn't make them that way.

I personally believe taboo is the only reason it is illegal and alcohol is not. There isn't really any medical reason for it. And I would bet that it would become much less of a big deal if legalized than people think. Plus states could certainly use the tax dollars. I don't really care that much as I am too busy to be doing it and too broke to afford it either way.

But most people who think that its terrible and should never be allowed are people that have never done it, so they think it is a bigger deal than it really is. I don't want high judges, doctors, government officials, cops, etc. Then again I don't want drunk ones either. Moderation is key for most things and just knowing the appropriate time and place to handle your personal business so it minimalize any endangering of the public.
Most people don't realize that pot was criminalized by the big city newspaper magnates, like William Randolph Hearst, because he (and a couple of others) owned all the paper mills that milled trees into paper but were losing their shirts to the hemp paper merchants who were undercutting their costs on milling usable paper.

Back then there were TONS of newspapers, daily papers, weekly papers, monthly papers, neighborhood papers, etc., all printed all the time since there wasn't television or other communications as we have now. This is a LOT of paper being used DAILY.

So Hearst used his money (and his ownership of studios in Hollywood) to make the Reefer Madness movies as propaganda in order to convince the populace of the U.S. that pot was an EVIL drug that would make their white daughters sleep with black jazz musicians.

They all got scared, swallowed the pill he was selling and voted to make ALL marijuana (thus: hemp) illegal.

And then he got even richer selling his paper to the other newspapers that were running at the time along with his own.

LosAngelesSooner
11/2/2010, 06:11 PM
Nah.

I got no problem w/ pot.Sweeeeeet. :)

SouthCarolinaSooner
11/2/2010, 06:30 PM
Please point me to the "black market" cigarettes and "black market" booze that's being made everywhere.

Or was that "whoosh sound" the sound of your sarcasm flying over my head? :O
I mean for weed/prostitution/etc. If you just slam a huge tax on marijuana as soon as you legalize it or shortly thereafter, dealers will just keep doing what they've been doing.

SanJoaquinSooner
11/2/2010, 06:32 PM
You know what I think?

SanJoaquinSooner
11/2/2010, 06:35 PM
It's all moot. The Marijuana Proposition won't win tonight.

Blue
11/2/2010, 06:38 PM
They won't legalize it. The govt is making too much money off it. Lawyers, prisons, CIA trafficking...it's a cash cow. :D

Scott D
11/2/2010, 07:06 PM
Plus, us black jazz musicians are in favor of it. ;)

Bourbon St Sooner
11/2/2010, 09:18 PM
Alright, all you pot-heads--I'm a pot virgin. I mean it, really, I grew up in Sequoyah county, famed worldwide for our allsome weed, and then I went to colledge and got edumacated at OU for 4 years, and still, all that time...I've never smoked pot. Drank like a little blond fish at times, but never raided 7/11 at 4 am for Mountain Dew and Twinkies.

So tell me, how's the buzz? How does it compare to a 6 pack of Harp, a "few" glasses of a nice Pinot Noir, or a coupla Long Island Ice Teas with some tequila chasers? How does it compare to the Percocet I get when my knee gets whacked on, again? Is it really that much better or different that we need to have it as readily available as the other things in my list? I mean, what's the BFD here? If you want to get high, there are perfectly legal ways to do it already, why do we need to have pot in the mix? Jus' curious.

The second time I passed out smoking a joint was the last time I did it. I'm Irish so I can hold my liquor but apparently can't handle pot worth ****.

Crucifax Autumn
11/2/2010, 11:25 PM
It's more relaxing, less disorienting, no hangover, and I can remember what happened the night before.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 12:36 AM
You DO realize that California gives more money TO the Fed than we take FROM the Fed, don't you?

Yes, and California will continue to give more money to the Feds. The Feds simply won't give any back.

You obviously have never tangled with the feds. The fact that you give them more money than they give you means nothing to them.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 12:40 AM
BTW, it's looking more and more like LASooner couldn't find the voting booth.

picasso
11/3/2010, 01:40 AM
Herb is fine as long as you're not getting baked.

Bad things mannnnnnn.

soonerboomer93
11/3/2010, 01:41 AM
BTW, it's looking more and more like LASooner couldn't find the voting booth.

LAsooner =/= LosAngelosSooner

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 03:17 AM
If you think Horn fans can snivel, check out the following:

“Even if we are cheated out of a win today, we have changed the debate from licentious hippies versus straight-arrow cops to one that recognizes this issue in all of its complexity," Russo said, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44590.html#ixzz11HWRu8Ze

sooner59
11/3/2010, 03:26 AM
To be fair, it wasn't a landslide. It was 40-something to 50-something. I was shocked to see it that close.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 03:31 AM
To be fair, it wasn't a landslide. It was 40-something to 50-something. I was shocked to see it that close.

Very Aggie. (Especially since many in here were crowing about how pot was going to be legal and they were going to be lighting it up.)

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2010, 03:41 AM
Very Aggie. (Especially since many in here were crowing about how pot was going to be legal and they were going to be lighting it up.)

Why do you think you and the government have the right to tell someone they can't partake in an activity that has ZERO impact on you whatsoever? Why shouldn't someone be allowed to do what they want in the privacy of their own home, and why should the government try to regulate what goes on in one's own private space?

I just hate that way of thinking. I absolutely hate it. I hate hate hate the idea of one group of people disapproving of an activity and using the government to stop people from partaking in that activity when it has no impact on others.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 03:55 AM
Why do you think you and the government have the right to tell someone they can't partake in an activity that has ZERO impact on you whatsoever?

Why? We just do.

Why do we have the right to set speed limits on roads? We just do.

Why do we have the right to tax? We just do. (@$$@#!!!)

In fact, the best way to answer your question probably goes something like the following:

We have the right to prevent you from smoking pot because you have no right to tell us we cannot.

That doesn't go for all things, because we do have a Constitution.

Why shouldn't someone be allowed to do what they want in the privacy of their own home, and why should the government try to regulate what goes on in one's own private space?

Essentially, your home is not immune from the law. What takes place inside your home can be someone else's business.

I just hate that way of thinking. I absolutely hate it. I hate hate hate the idea of one group of people disapproving of an activity and using the government to stop people from partaking in that activity when it has no impact on others.

The other side will argue that it does have an impact on others, although not necessarily directly. And on top of that a community (such as the state) has a right to pass laws that it thinks reflect its own values (within Constitutional limits, of course). If a community is deadset against pot, it can pass laws that prevent its citizens from smoking it. In other words, "Get that **** outta' here!"

SicEmBaylor
11/3/2010, 04:22 AM
Why? We just do.

Why do we have the right to set speed limits on roads? We just do.

Why do we have the right to tax? We just do. (@$$@#!!!)

In fact, the best way to answer your question probably goes something like the following:

We have the right to prevent you from smoking pot because you have no right to tell us we cannot.

That doesn't go for all things, because we do have a Constitution.

Essentially, your home is not immune from the law. What takes place inside your home can be someone else's business.

The other side will argue that it does have an impact on others, although not necessarily directly. And on top of that a community (such as the state) has a right to pass laws that it thinks reflect its own values (within Constitutional limits, of course). If a community is deadset against pot, it can pass laws that prevent its citizens from smoking it. In other words, "Get that **** outta' here!"

I absolutely don't question the fact that a community and state has a constitutional right to pass such legislation. I clearly understand that doing something in your home doesn't grant you immunity from following the law.

My question is, why do you think it should be law in the first place? Why criminalize something that does nothing to infringe upon the liberty of others? If I make the choice to smoke a completely natural plant in the privacy of my own home, and I do nothing to harm or interfere with anyone else's well being then why on God's green earth should I be considered a criminal?

Once again, that kind of mentality is just the antithesis of everything that I think our Republic should be.

Now, that's not to say that I don't think someone should absolutely be prosecuted and held accountable for their actions while on pot. If someone gets in the car while completely stoned and causes an accident then they should be prosecuted and deal with the most severe punishment possible.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 05:28 AM
*yawn*

This thread makes me wanna buy some chronic.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 05:28 AM
I absolutely don't question the fact that a community and state has a constitutional right to pass such legislation. I clearly understand that doing something in your home doesn't grant you immunity from following the law.

My question is, why do you think it should be law in the first place?

That wasn't your question. You asked why we had the right to do it.

Why criminalize something that does nothing to infringe upon the liberty of others? If I make the choice to smoke a completely natural plant in the privacy of my own home, and I do nothing to harm or interfere with anyone else's well being then why on God's green earth should I be considered a criminal?

It comes down to community standards. At some point, many people associate potheads with unambitious trash losers and decide it doesn't want that kind of action taking place in its neighborhoods. Sure, we can cite the statistics about drug use and its harm, but essentially this came down as class warfare, with "fine upstanding citizens" in one corner and "hippie losers" in the other.

The fact that legalizing the drug would reward those who broke the law was also a factor. Smoking pot is seen as a blatant thumbing of one's nose at the law. A lot of people hate that. And they especially hate the "drugs are cool" crowd that tend to slide into such discussions.

In short, people in a community don't want a bunch of ****ing losers hanging around. And since they can't throw the losers out bodily, they resort to removing the behaviors associated with them. Otherwise, the place starts to resemble a ghetto. And a lot of people don't want to live in a ghetto.

Harsh? Perhaps. But that's the reality.

Now, if you want marijuana legalized, it would be best to keep the "drugs are cool" crowd from jumping on board. People who boast about smoking bongs after work and crack jokes about their own drug use are what killed this initiative, IMO. Even if one privately decides that legalizing marijuana would be beneficial (which I don't believe), who wants to concede defeat to jerks like that?

Consider this analogy: Think about the last time we lost to Oklahoma State. It isn't the school or sports team that makes the defeat bitter, but the fan base. We just can't stand those jerks that root for the Aggies, so losing takes on a deeper dimension than just the game itself. Even if an Aggie win over Texas benefits OU, many still don't want it because of the people involved.

Once again, that kind of mentality is just the antithesis of everything that I think our Republic should be.

And you're free to use the power of the vote to change the government to the way you think it should be. But others have different opinions.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 05:34 AM
I pretty much ALWAYS disagree with community standards and even if I didn't I'd stand up for personal freedom.

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 05:36 AM
I pretty much ALWAYS disagree with community standards and even if I didn't I'd stand up for personal freedom.

As long as you're willing to pay the fines, be my guest. I applaud you for your (involuntary) donations to your community.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 05:48 AM
Dude...What if your community standards required you to support something you were morally opposed to? Would you vote with the majority to protect something you hate?

Leroy Lizard
11/3/2010, 11:18 AM
Dude...What if your community standards required you to support something you were morally opposed to? Would you vote with the majority to protect something you hate?

Nothing I said indicates that I would always vote with the majority. And community standards don't require that I support anything. I do have to obey the law or be willing to pay the price (civil disobedience).

LosAngelesSooner
11/3/2010, 01:45 PM
Yes, and California will continue to give more money to the Feds. The Feds simply won't give any back.

You obviously have never tangled with the feds. The fact that you give them more money than they give you means nothing to them.This is me making the "jerking off motion."

The Fed won't do **** once this is legalized. Nada.

It basically IS legal and TONS of people ARE lighting it up.

Man...you need to hitch up the trailer and travel more. Your world view is so danged limited that it's comical.

LosAngelesSooner
11/3/2010, 01:50 PM
That wasn't your question. You asked why we had the right to do it.

It comes down to community standards. At some point, many people associate potheads with unambitious trash losers and decide it doesn't want that kind of action taking place in its neighborhoods. Sure, we can cite the statistics about drug use and its harm, but essentially this came down as class warfare, with "fine upstanding citizens" in one corner and "hippie losers" in the other.

The fact that legalizing the drug would reward those who broke the law was also a factor. Smoking pot is seen as a blatant thumbing of one's nose at the law. A lot of people hate that. And they especially hate the "drugs are cool" crowd that tend to slide into such discussions.

In short, people in a community don't want a bunch of ****ing losers hanging around. And since they can't throw the losers out bodily, they resort to removing the behaviors associated with them. Otherwise, the place starts to resemble a ghetto. And a lot of people don't want to live in a ghetto.

Harsh? Perhaps. But that's the reality.

Now, if you want marijuana legalized, it would be best to keep the "drugs are cool" crowd from jumping on board. People who boast about smoking bongs after work and crack jokes about their own drug use are what killed this initiative, IMO. Even if one privately decides that legalizing marijuana would be beneficial (which I don't believe), who wants to concede defeat to jerks like that?

Consider this analogy: Think about the last time we lost to Oklahoma State. It isn't the school or sports team that makes the defeat bitter, but the fan base. We just can't stand those jerks that root for the Aggies, so losing takes on a deeper dimension than just the game itself. Even if an Aggie win over Texas benefits OU, many still don't want it because of the people involved.

And you're free to use the power of the vote to change the government to the way you think it should be. But others have different opinions.So, in your haste to get the "loser drug users" out of your neighborhood are you willing to close up all the bars and liquor stores?

Because liquor is a drug. A much more dangerous drug than pot.

Oh, and count me completely unsurprised that you went all Aggie in your argument regarding "do you really want to 'lose' to all those losers who think they're so much more cool than you are?"

Heh...yet more of your desperate insecurity pouring out onto yet another thread. It is to make me laugh. :D

Sooner in Tampa
11/4/2010, 07:44 AM
This is now a dead issue...pot is still illegal.

Wanna smoke, move to Oregon "The" has a contact who can score you weed...and help you be a big tough guy against teenage boys

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 08:07 AM
I'm fairly certain people in Cali aren't crying over this. Anyone who wants it can get a medical marijuana card cheaper than any other state and buy and smoke all the weed they want.

hellogoodbye
11/4/2010, 08:36 AM
The proposed bill allows for a 5' x 5' plot for pot so people can grow their own at their own homes.

I have a dream!

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2010, 09:42 AM
So, any CA residents, was there lots of toking in sadness after the election defeat?

Quite surprised at this, figured it would pass given the propensities Californians have.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 12:15 PM
I don't smoke. But if I wanted to all it would take is $50 and a 10 minute trip to one of the in house doctors that just about every dispensary keeps on staff.

Then I'd be heading home with a legal bag of weed. It's really that simple out here already.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 12:31 PM
I want to try some of that weed baklava they were serving during the election at that school where they teach people to cultivate and prepare weed. I think that story was on CNN. I was too drunk to remember for sure and switched channels all night.

LAS...Do you have to be a california resident to get a card there? I know a few people here that have Cali cards, but for all I know they have a residence they can claim.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 12:32 PM
And the Nevada card is next to useless since they don't have legal dispensaries. It also costs like 300 dollars to get the card.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 01:21 PM
I have no idea at all about the legal issues around the card. I would assume that you have to be a Cali resident, but who knows.

I do have a few friends who have "medical issues" that require them to have a card. I could ask them.

Oh...and you should buy the "Pot Butter." You can then cook damn near ANYTHING and get the same effects.

Like, for instance, frying some BACON in POT BUTTER.

Yeah...I just blew your mind.

soonerboomer93
11/4/2010, 01:44 PM
whoaa

that did just blow my mind

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 01:46 PM
Like Dean said....****ing slackers were to stoned to drive to the polls and get it legalized.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 01:53 PM
They also sell pot bubblegum, pot lollipops, pot cookies, pot brownies, pot cookie DOUGH, pot butter, pot biscuits, etc...etc...

You can buy all of that, plus about 100 different strains of pot, from local dispensaries out here.

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 02:06 PM
Pot Suppositories?

TheHumanAlphabet
11/4/2010, 02:19 PM
Hey LAS, how did the Cali. media react to the Dallas stories of smelling pot in the outfield in SFO? Apparently here in Texas it was a big deal...

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 02:35 PM
I never saw a single thing about it on the news out here...

Cornfed
11/4/2010, 02:49 PM
What about the people smoking a doob while watching the game on TV????

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 02:50 PM
If you rolled yer doob in a newspaper would that help?

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2010, 02:58 PM
I want to try some of that weed baklava they were serving during the election at that school where they teach people to cultivate and prepare weed. I think that story was on CNN. I was too drunk to remember for sure and switched channels all night.

LAS...Do you have to be a california resident to get a card there? I know a few people here that have Cali cards, but for all I know they have a residence they can claim.

I saw that. It was on CNN. Anderson Cooper was joking around with the reporter there about eating some of the brownies they were passing around. :D

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 04:39 PM
So, in your haste to get the "loser drug users" out of your neighborhood are you willing to close up all the bars and liquor stores?

Because liquor is a drug. A much more dangerous drug than pot.

You obviously just skimmed over my post without reading it. Try again.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 04:41 PM
I'm fairly certain people in Cali aren't crying over this.

Since they are the ones that voted against it, no ****.

TopDawg
11/4/2010, 05:00 PM
I had to show my i.d. to get OTC cold medicine the other day.

I guess it was one of those that's one of the meth ingredients or something.

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2010, 05:02 PM
I had to show my i.d. to get OTC cold medicine the other day.

I guess it was one of those that's one of the meth ingredients or something.

Last summer, they made it illegal to sell OTC pseudoephedrine without a doctor's prescription. I thought it was annoying having to show my ID, but now I have to drive to Louisiana whenever I have a little congestion.

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:08 PM
Last summer, they made it illegal to sell OTC pseudoephedrine without a doctor's prescription. I thought it was annoying having to show my ID, but now I have to drive to Louisiana whenever I have a little congestion.

Blame the meth heads.

SicEmBaylor
11/4/2010, 05:21 PM
Blame the meth heads.

I'd really rather blame nanny-state politicians.

LosAngelesSooner
11/4/2010, 05:26 PM
You obviously just skimmed over my post without reading it. Try again.You obviously are incapable of understanding how they are one and the same thing.

Try asking someone to explain it to ya. :D

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 05:47 PM
You obviously are incapable of understanding how they are one and the same thing.

Since you never bothered to read my post, let me try and drill it into your skull.

In terms of image:

Pot = stoned losers smoking behind a garbage bin
Drinkers = CEOs drinking at the country club

Now, you may not believe me. Just go to a company CEO and tell him that you drink. As long as you don't insinuate you're an alcoholic, no big.

Now tell him you smoke pot and watch his reaction.

Of course, you can't see the difference, which is why you are incapable of understanding why there is such a stigma attached to MJ.

(Now you will regale us with even more tales about how CEOs invite you to come over and smoke pot with them all the time. Or, you invite them to come over to your place. Being that you are a big shot and all, how could they refuse?)

Collier11
11/4/2010, 06:10 PM
The problem is that the stigma is mostly incorrect

Leroy Lizard
11/4/2010, 06:56 PM
The problem is that the stigma is mostly incorrect

No, it's pretty much on target. Not in all cases, but what is?

LosAngelesSooner
11/5/2010, 02:10 PM
Since you never bothered to read my post, let me try and drill it into your skull.

In terms of image:

Pot = stoned losers smoking behind a garbage bin
Drinkers = CEOs drinking at the country club

Now, you may not believe me. Just go to a company CEO and tell him that you drink. As long as you don't insinuate you're an alcoholic, no big.

Now tell him you smoke pot and watch his reaction.

Of course, you can't see the difference, which is why you are incapable of understanding why there is such a stigma attached to MJ.

(Now you will regale us with even more tales about how CEOs invite you to come over and smoke pot with them all the time. Or, you invite them to come over to your place. Being that you are a big shot and all, how could they refuse?)
Here's what YOU seem incapable of understanding: Image <> law/reality/facts/logic

You can CLAIM your image all you want. That's been done throughout history. Shoot, most bigots and racists RELY on that type of false logic in supporting their hatred. (not saying you're a racist or bigot)

They claim: Mexicans are criminals! Rural whites are hard working and honest!

Any actual facts to support that? Nope.

And when you talk about the "image" of pot smoking, yours is colored by your environment. Out here the image of someone smoking a doob is VERY different than it is back where you live. Clearly. So our CEO's have a very different response.

I mean, who would YOU rather hire, if you had to choose one? Someone who smokes entirely too much pot or someone who drinks entirely too much liquor?

Pretty easy choice.

LosAngelesSooner
11/5/2010, 02:11 PM
No, it's pretty much on target. Not in all cases, but what is?
No. It's pretty laughably off target and dated.

And why would I tell stories about someone inviting me over to smoke pot? I've already stated that I don't smoke pot.

But you're the one supporting intrusive government and a nanny state, not me.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 02:15 PM
But you're the one supporting intrusive government and a nanny state, not me.

Interesting that you say this yet you are ok with the govt telling you what your kids can eat, whoops on you K :D

LosAngelesSooner
11/5/2010, 02:19 PM
Difference between how the government treats/views children and adults.

saucysoonergal
11/5/2010, 02:19 PM
I don't think LAS has kids, that he knows of anyway. ;)

Collier11
11/5/2010, 02:21 PM
just the ones in the towel on the floor

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 02:21 PM
Here's what YOU seem incapable of understanding: Image <> law/reality/facts/logic

You can CLAIM your image all you want. That's been done throughout history. Shoot, most bigots and racists RELY on that type of false logic in supporting their hatred. (not saying you're a racist or bigot)

They claim: Mexicans are criminals! Rural whites are hard working and honest!

Any actual facts to support that? Nope.

And when you talk about the "image" of pot smoking, yours is colored by your environment. Out here the image of someone smoking a doob is VERY different than it is back where you live. Clearly. So our CEO's have a very different response.

No they don't. Telling a CEO that you smoke pot on the weekends will not be looked upon kindly pretty much no matter where you live in the U.S.

You're trying to paint California like it is all Haight-Ashbury. Maybe in your neck of West Hollywood it might be. But I grew up in the state and lived there for most of my adult life. So I know better.

I mean, who would YOU rather hire, if you had to choose one? Someone who smokes entirely too much pot or someone who drinks entirely too much liquor?

Straw man and a red herring. No one mentioned anything about those who are driven to excess.

I wouldn't hire either one of them. One is a loser who cannot obey laws. The other is addicted to a legal substance. Both are trouble and I'm not sure which is worse.

This discussion was about IMAGE. And even given the alcoholics' problems, his public image is still better than that of the dopehead. In the eyes of the community, the alcoholic has a "problem," while the dopehead is, well, a dopehead.

Now let me summarize the differences in image between a dopehead and a drinker.

Drinker:

http://johngushue.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451f25369e2010535d2cb7e970c-800wi

Notice the alcohol in his hand? People associate wine, brandy, even bourbon with class. That's the IMAGE, even if the reality is often quite different.

Now, for the stoner:

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/files/2009/02/spicoli3.jpg

You might not find the image fair or accurate, but it is definitely there.

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 02:27 PM
That shouldn't be the image people have though, but who knows if that will change enough to get it legalized. If it can't pass in California, it's never going to make it here.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 02:29 PM
Pot could be legal in the other 49 states for 500 years and it would never be legalized in Oklahoma

Ike
11/5/2010, 02:39 PM
Pot could be legal in the other 49 states for 500 years and it would never be legalized in Oklahoma

nah...we did eventually allow liquor by the drink. And tattoos. I never thought that would happen either.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 02:52 PM
That shouldn't be the image people have though...

Pffft, whatever. I like it that way, though.

BTW, you're wrong. If pot is illegal, then those that habitually break the law deserve the low image society bestows upon them. If they don't like the image, they can stop.

jumperstop
11/5/2010, 03:03 PM
Pffft, whatever. I like it that way, though.

BTW, you're wrong. If pot is illegal, then those that habitually break the law deserve the low image society bestows upon them. If they don't like the image, they can stop.

What if it wasn't illegal? Do you still think those are the images people should have of the two drugs? First off let me ask before I value your opinion, have you tried both? They are probably both about the same if you do them casually. I would say if you do any drug habitually it's not that good for you. It's just that with alcohol since it's legal if you have a habit, you have a 'disease' or 'problem'. With pot, you're just a druggie, someone who particpates in the illegal stuff. SO MAYBE, it's just the fact that it's illegal and has been for a while that create these misperceptions of weed, and not the effects of the drug. I guess that's what you said, but I was aurguing the other side. So you think people should think weed is bad cause it's illegal and not cause it's bad. That's basically what you're saying, right?

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 03:42 PM
What if it wasn't illegal? Do you still think those are the images people should have of the two drugs?

That's hard to say because that isn't the situation.

It's like asking whether I would still be a Sooner fan if I was born in Texas. Maybe. Maybe not.

First off let me ask before I value your opinion, have you tried both? They are probably both about the same if you do them casually. I would say if you do any drug habitually it's not that good for you. It's just that with alcohol since it's legal if you have a habit, you have a 'disease' or 'problem'. With pot, you're just a druggie, someone who particpates in the illegal stuff. SO MAYBE, it's just the fact that it's illegal and has been for a while that create these misperceptions of weed, and not the effects of the drug. I guess that's what you said, but I was aurguing the other side. So you think people should think weed is bad cause it's illegal and not cause it's bad. That's basically what you're saying, right?

You misunderstood. I said that PEOPLE who do weed deserve their image because they knowingly break the law. The image is about the people, not the plant.

Your argument is that the image is undeserved. That's another argument entirely.

bigfatjerk
11/5/2010, 04:02 PM
Did prohibition of alcohol work 70-80 years ago? No it just created more criminals.

That's why the War on Drugs does now. I think we need to legalize all drugs and simply treat it like we do alcohol. It would save a ton of money if we just got rid of the war on drugs and simply put limits on doing drugs in public like having DUI laws, age limits etc. It would be a lot better than having the stuff we have on the border were Cartels are trying to take over areas in the south with violence. But we also need better border protection to fix that issue.

bigfatjerk
11/5/2010, 04:04 PM
And for the record, I don't do drugs and will never care to. But I don't look down on people that do drugs. I just don't see a difference between alcohol and drugs.

Leroy Lizard
11/5/2010, 04:15 PM
Did prohibition of alcohol work 70-80 years ago? No it just created more criminals.

That's why the War on Drugs does now. I think we need to legalize all drugs and simply treat it like we do alcohol.

That's another argument completely and one we have bandied around here countless times.

tator
11/5/2010, 04:22 PM
Ya I can't wait for the day that I can waltz into QT and get a little "pick me up" line of coke.... :rolleyes: