PDA

View Full Version : Austin Area Sooners???

boomersooner28
11/2/2010, 10:24 AM
I may be relocating to the Austin area. Georgetown/Liberty Hills somewhere around there. Just wanting to know if any peeps on this board live in that area. It will suck living in enemy territory but knowing there are other Sooners will help.

bluedogok
11/2/2010, 12:19 PM
There are a whole bunch of us down here, I see OU stuff on cars pretty much everyday. In fact you will see schools from all over the country represented down here, the majority will still have UT paraphernalia on them but even they admit that Austin is no longer dominated by UT like it was 20 years ago. I kind of like it here, we live in South Austin but have been looking at land in the area between Lago Vista and Liberty Hill....either that or we move to Colorado, which we consider every summer.

I have actually found the Whorn fans here are much better than the ones living in DFW, it seems the further they get away from Austin the more obnoxious they get.

There sill also be a new restaurant that we can sure plan on missing....
Austin Business Journal - Vince Young Steakhouse opens Nov. 6 (http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2010/10/29/vince-young-steakhouse-opens-in-nov.html)

UTgradOUfan
11/2/2010, 07:45 PM
Bring it on 28! Austin is a great town and there are more Sooner fans here that you would guess. There is a Sooner club of Austin but they get together for games way up North of town. I live downtown and there is a group of us that get together here and we have fun being in the middle of all these whorns.
PM me if you want. My first degree is from Southwestern Univ. in Georgetown so I know a bit about that area. My guess is that if you do move you will enjoy Central Texas.
BTW Bluedog you ought to join us.

CU Sooner
11/2/2010, 08:33 PM
I live out west in Dripping Springs, i have been pleasantly surprised at how many of us there are. You have picked the best year to move too. Just watch out for jumpers on the overpasses this year.

danille
11/2/2010, 08:51 PM
I live in Round Rock and work @ taylor.
I need to find our sooners orgnization around austin area.

WestLakeHillsSooner
11/2/2010, 10:07 PM
You'll like it. There are lots of Sooners and as others have said, a ton of people here who could care less about the Horns. Hell, I went to HEB last weekend during the Texas game, hoping that the crowd would be light and the store was still packed.

Central Texas and the Hill Country is a very nice area to call home.

BOOMER!

SoonerPride93
11/2/2010, 10:37 PM
My uncle lives in Round Rock and works at dell.

OU_Tom
11/2/2010, 10:54 PM
There are tons of OU fans here in Austin. If you are in Georgetown then the OU club will probably work out well for you.

sooner518
11/2/2010, 11:23 PM
moving to Austin myself in May one I graduate. lots of my undergrad friends (from OU) live down there. im lookin forward to living there over DFW

ATX Sooner
11/3/2010, 12:28 AM
I've been here since '94 and have loved every second of it. Definitely a fair share of OU fans down here. Most of my friends are horn fans and we enjoy our yearly trash talking sessions.

n8v_ndn
11/3/2010, 02:20 AM
My wife and I moved down in '99 right after graduation and have been here ever since.

We live in Pflugerville, I work in Round Rock & she's with PISD.

Well to central Texas.

Crucifax Autumn
11/3/2010, 05:18 AM
I got the **** outta there when I split with my super hot whorn *****.

85Sooner
11/3/2010, 07:08 AM
I have lived in Leander for 15 years. A a couple miles south of Georgetown and Liberty Hill.
Georgetown= Retirement communities
Liberty Hill= very rural.
Check out Leander and Cedar park.

Soonermagik
11/3/2010, 08:29 AM

Did he beat you? :D

bluedogok
11/3/2010, 12:26 PM
moving to Austin myself in May one I graduate. lots of my undergrad friends (from OU) live down there. im lookin forward to living there over DFW
I lived in Dallas from 91-93 and moved here in 2003, the 10 years in between were in OKC. I had a chance to move back to Dallas in 2004, after a couple of weeks of working back up there I realized that I had absolutely no desire to move back there.

cobrapilot
11/3/2010, 12:30 PM
I live in Salado, keep my airplane in Georgetown, I look forward to meeting you

pweitkem
11/3/2010, 02:15 PM
I also live in Pflugerville... been here a while. Lots of OU fans down here. More then happy to buy you a coldie when you move into the Georgetown area and introduce you to a couple of your fellow Sooners.

sooner518
11/3/2010, 06:48 PM
I lived in Dallas from 91-93 and moved here in 2003, the 10 years in between were in OKC. I had a chance to move back to Dallas in 2004, after a couple of weeks of working back up there I realized that I had absolutely no desire to move back there.

I moved to fort worth from Denver 2 years ago and I haven't been a big dfw fan. I'm really looking forward to living in Austin. My wife, not so much. Haha.

bluedogok
11/3/2010, 08:22 PM
If we move anywhere outside of Central Texas it will probably be to Denver. We have been considering it for awhile, I have been considering it for 20 years but her boss retires in two years and she isn't quite sure if she will stay there after she is gone.

boomersooner28
11/3/2010, 10:05 PM
I have lived in Leander for 15 years. A a couple miles south of Georgetown and Liberty Hill.
Georgetown= Retirement communities
Liberty Hill= very rural.
Check out Leander and Cedar park.

Well, the in-laws lived in Georgetown but just built a new house in Liberty Hill. I liked the area when we were down there in April. Don't know much about Liberty Hill yet, I do know the in-laws like the school district (they have a 7 year old) and they live by the school, never been to Leander or Cedar Park. Did do some research on rental houses and will no more next week once we visit.

bluedogok
11/3/2010, 10:51 PM
Leander and Cedar Park are the far northwest burbs not too far south of Liberty Hill on 183.

dwarthog
11/4/2010, 09:27 AM
My buddy lives in Liberty Hill. Got a great place on about 10 acres or so, which is pretty much nothing but a bunch of rocks and cedars.

It is getting much easier to get too and from Austin via the roads they are building out that way which is nice.

There seems to always be something going on in the area so you won't lack for things to do if you don't want to make the drive down into Austin looking for adventure. :D

sooner518
11/4/2010, 09:48 AM
If we move anywhere outside of Central Texas it will probably be to Denver. We have been considering it for awhile, I have been considering it for 20 years but her boss retires in two years and she isn't quite sure if she will stay there after she is gone.

Denver is like a cleaner, less pretentious, cooler (temperature) version of Austin. and the outdoor activities are unreal there. Id move back in a second if my wife would let me.

pweitkem
11/4/2010, 09:51 AM
less pretentious.... you obviously haven't spent much time in Boulder

stoopified
11/4/2010, 02:16 PM
How superhot? Yeah,I know I'm a dog.

proudsoonergal
11/4/2010, 07:50 PM
Moved down here in 2002 from Dallas. LOVE it. I live in southwest Austin, which makes it tough to go to the OU Club of Austin stuff (another poster noted everything is up in the RR/north Austin area).

I'm also the "token" OU fan at work and with my friends, which is kinda fun. This year has been especially fun (2005 - not so much).

There are lots of us down here - like another poster noted, I see OU stuff more and more on vehicles.

Welcome to the area!

bluedogok
11/4/2010, 10:20 PM
Moved down here in 2002 from Dallas. LOVE it. I live in southwest Austin, which makes it tough to go to the OU Club of Austin stuff (another poster noted everything is up in the RR/north Austin area).
Pretty much the same reason why I haven't made any events, that and they always seemed to be a day or two before I checked the website. I work up north now and so I am north a lot more than I used to be when I worked out on Southwest Parkway.

I'm also the "token" OU fan at work and with my friends, which is kinda fun. This year has been especially fun (2005 - not so much).
Most of the time this has been the case for me, at the previous firm I worked at we had another Sooner for awhile and a few Whorns (3 out of 9) but they were good. The new firm had quite a few when I started 3 years ago (5 out of 18) but now we are just down to one (out of 9) and he just started not too long ago, everyone else is from all over (Ball State, Miami-OH, Illinois, Nebraska, Columbia, SCAD and Texas State).

There are lots of us down here - like another poster noted, I see OU stuff more and more on vehicles.
We went to Cheddars tonight down here (Southwest Austin) and there was someone else wearing an OU sweatshirt, I see other Sooners everyday.

What is kind of funny is OU seems to get more coverage in the local media than A&M does...or that is at least how some former Aggie co-workers felt.

BigTip
11/5/2010, 01:26 PM
What's great about living in Austin is that even when OU is favored by 10 points, you can always get a straight up bet!

I see lots of OU gear on people all the time, so I never feel alone here.

Soonermagik
11/5/2010, 01:58 PM
Seriously, I'm gald you started this thread. I too may be relocating to Austin due to work. I'm guessing it's about 10 degrees warmer than OKC during the winter, so that would mean a longer golf season. :)

Nice to know there are several OU fans in the area.

proudsoonergal
11/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Seriously, I'm gald you started this thread. I too may be relocating to Austin due to work. I'm guessing it's about 10 degrees warmer than OKC during the winter, so that would mean a longer golf season. :)

Nice to know there are several OU fans in the area.

Oh, yeah. I've played golf in January/February for the last few years (I got my clubs in 2008). You'll get the occasional "ICE STORM 20__" freakout for a few days, which is actually pretty funny (the town shuts DOWN), and then it'll go back to normal.

boomersooner28
11/5/2010, 08:47 PM
I will be in Georgetown/Liberty Hill Monday-Thursday checking out jobs and maybe some rental houses. I'm actually excited about being down there before the Oklahoma winter hits. Should be GREAT golf weather this time of year. I need Austin area golf buddies!!!!

boomersooner28
11/19/2010, 12:40 PM
AND it is official. We are moving to Georgetown after Christmas. Start the new job January 2nd. I look forward to meeting a bunch of you!

BOOMER!

bluedogok
11/19/2010, 05:14 PM
Congrats...

proudsoonergal
11/19/2010, 05:18 PM
Woohoo! Congrats!

BigTip
11/19/2010, 08:12 PM
I golf all year 'round. Every Wednesday. We might miss one every now and then because of weather, but will usually be able to go Thursday instead. It's been over 90 here in both January and February before. Of course it does get below freezing sometimes, but rarely for more than 24 hours in a row.

BajaOklahoma
11/19/2010, 09:08 PM
Georgetown has one of the better school districts in the State. They tend to be more innovative than some of the other districts.

boomersooner28
11/20/2010, 12:44 AM
I golf all year 'round. Every Wednesday. We might miss one every now and then because of weather, but will usually be able to go Thursday instead. It's been over 90 here in both January and February before. Of course it does get below freezing sometimes, but rarely for more than 24 hours in a row.

Dude! We played Blackhawk in Pluggerville last Wednesday. Wednesday is going to be our big golf day too...I think.

boomersooner28
12/16/2010, 05:45 PM
Making the move to Georgetown December 28! Where is the Fiesta Bowl party!?!?!?!? Can't wait to meet fellow Sooners around Austin.

LostCreekSooner
12/16/2010, 07:53 PM
It is a great time to live in Austin. Lots of depressed whorn fans... bwahahaha.

Congrats on the job.

IGotNoTiming
12/16/2010, 10:05 PM
South Austin since 93.... great city.

killa music

killa mexican and bbq...

very hot women.....

and if you listen closely you can still here upon the wind...

Saxet just lost another home game....

soonerboomer93
12/16/2010, 10:19 PM
I have actually found the Whorn fans here are much better than the ones living in DFW, it seems the further they get away from Austin the more obnoxious they get.

It's been my experience that people who actually attended UT are much better, easier to get along with during football season then someone who's for UT solely because they're from texass

85sooners
12/16/2010, 10:50 PM
:texan: :texan:

BigTip
12/16/2010, 11:02 PM
Where is the Fiesta Bowl party!?!?!?!? Can't wait to meet fellow Sooners around Austin.

I own The Bakehouse Restaurant and Bar on Manchaca Rd. I'll for sure have the game on. I'll do this too....anyone in Sooner gear gets their first drink free. How's that for supportin' the cause!

Anybody see The Statesman today? They listed the bowls in order of how interesting they will supposedly be. Fiesta bowl was like 12th or something.

Depends on your perspective, right?

texaspokieokie
12/17/2010, 09:14 AM
It's been my experience that people who actually attended UT are much better, easier to get along with during football season then someone who's for UT solely because they're from texass

probably applies to many schools.

mainline13
12/17/2010, 03:33 PM
AND it is official. We are moving to Georgetown after Christmas. Start the new job January 2nd. I look forward to meeting a bunch of you!

BOOMER!

If your avatar is a pic of your wife, I may have to drive over from Pearland to say hello. ... Nah, not even that could get me to Austin if I don't have to be there.

Welcome to Baja Oklahoma!

meandmybutt
12/17/2010, 05:28 PM
I may be relocating to the Austin area. Georgetown/Liberty Hills somewhere around there. Just wanting to know if any peeps on this board live in that area. It will suck living in enemy territory but knowing there are other Sooners will help.

You my friend will become what we call a "diamond among ****** bags"....welcome to hell.

But on the positive side, you will likely be viewed as a genius by your neighbors.

BulverdeSooner
12/17/2010, 10:22 PM
I'm south another 45 or so miles between Bulverde and Spring Branch -- tons of Sooners here.
Austin has some great elements, and the weather is waaaayyy warmer than anywhere in OK in the winter (golf 345 days/year easily), but traffic in Austin is still a bitch, they don't say "keep Austin wierd" for nothing, and it is the resident hole for friggin Liberals in Texass.

AzianSooner
12/17/2010, 11:57 PM
I will open a party at my house. It is a sole standing one when you pass the signature bridge on Capt of Tx HW. The house is on the left right on the top of the hill. It will take you guys a little off road to come up to my house.

Let me send out the invitation to all sooner fans in Austin Texas.

boomersooner28
12/31/2010, 12:58 AM
Aight...I'm officially a Texass resident! Moved to Georgetown Tuesday. Can't wait to meet some other Sooners down here.

SoonerPride93
12/31/2010, 02:17 AM
Nothing like being able to listen to the Charlie Hodge Halftime show on the radio and not online.