PDA

View Full Version : Big Stretch for Landry Jones

htownsooner7
11/2/2010, 10:15 AM
I'm one of his critics. Not because he doesn't have talent, not because he doesn't put up numbers, and not because he doesn't have ability. I've been very critical of him since last year because so many times I've seen that "deer in headlights" look from him in tough situations. I'm happy that he throws for 400 yards against Colorado at home, I'm happy that he threw for 5 touchdowns last year against K St. The concern is that I haven't seen him step up to the plate in a hostile road environment. Many of you can't stomach criticism of the quarterback. Well, one month from now, we'll know what we have:

@ ATM, @Baylor, @ Okie State. Conference Championship.

All three of these regular season teams believe they still have a shot to win the South. The conference championship should be an opportunity for Landry to get past his Nebraska performance from last year. We go undefeated through this stretch, and I believe a lot of it will have to do with Landry Jones taking huge steps forward. Of course, it will also depend on our defense stopping some good offenses but that isn't what this thread is about. I'd love to be on this board in a month talking about what BCS game we may be headed to. If we are having that discussion, Landry Jones will have confirmed himself as a big time quarterback.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 10:19 AM
I think he'll do fine. We may not win pretty but we'll win. I think his best road game will be at Stillwater.

bmjlr
11/2/2010, 10:39 AM
Jones on the road worries me as well. Hopefully his best road game will be at A&M, then he will better it at Baylor, and then play off the charts well at Stoolwater. That is what I see...er...hope.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 10:43 AM
Jones on the road worries me as well. Hopefully his best road game will be at A&M, then he will better it at Baylor, and then play off the charts well at Stoolwater. That is what I see...er...hope.

The defense is what worries me the most. At least Landry still has decent games on the road. The defense however is night and day when it comes to home and road games.

En_Fuego
11/2/2010, 11:05 AM
Well, not everyone can be a Joe Montana or a Sam Bradford.

I would take Landry over any College QB out there.

Most of the Deer in the headlights looks comes from his line folding.

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 11:13 AM
So nobody wishes that we'd landed Cam Newton?

KantoSooner
11/2/2010, 11:39 AM
Criticism of Jones is just fine. He gets some, he deserves some, he gets some he doesn't deserve, he gets a 'bye' on occaision. Meh. Some of it's him, some of it's being the QB.
It is also true, however, that Jones is far from lonely when it comes time to underwhelm on the road. I'd feel a lot more honest slagging on Jones if everyone else on the team did their jobs outside of Norman. He is far from the only reason we've looked bad on the road.

Soonermagik
11/2/2010, 11:50 AM
Just Remember Sam Bradford struggled on the road too. I can remember a really sloppy game against Iowa State. Hence, it's not just LJ.

For some reason, this coaching staff struggles on the road. They appear to go too conservative on offense and defense when on the road. They try to run the ball too much and play bend don't break defense. I believe they are trying to chew the clock. At times, I miss the aggressive nature this staff had when they 1st started. I'm not complaining too much, because they still win a lot of games.

yankee
11/2/2010, 11:53 AM
this thread should have been titled "Big Stretch for the OU Defense".

the defense is our main concern, not Landry.

JRAM
11/2/2010, 12:07 PM
htown, you are right. Jones has a fear problem when confronted with a tight situation. He can't find the turf soon enough with the ball when a defensive player is within 30" of him. When he is comfortable, he is great. He just has to get over that fear . I have never seen a player so afraid of getting hit. If he overcomes that problem, he could be one of the greatest ever.

cvsooner
11/2/2010, 12:09 PM
Keys to winning consistently on the road: smart QB play. Run the ball well. Defense must get stops. Don't lose turnovers.

Our road woes have been due to at least one of those four going wrong. When it's three or four of them, it can be a blowout.

oudavid1
11/2/2010, 01:44 PM
i really
really
really
really
really
really
really
really...........
wish people would stop saying they see a look in landry like a "dear in the headlights", you see it on tv and your not down there so you really dont know what he is thinking. I seriously doubt he ever gets scared. So please, stop being coaches. Landry is ok. Hell, he is better than Greg McElroy.

C&CDean
11/2/2010, 01:49 PM
One of Landry's strengths is having a series where he completely brain farts - then follow it up with a strong performance. He's one of the most unshakable players I've seen. The whole "deer in the headlights" comment is stupid. What he has is major brain fade. He ain't afraid of getting hit. The guy is tougher than nails. For whatever reason, he kicks his brain in neutral every so often - more often on the road. It doesn't seem to phase him for long though.

If he can play a full 4-quarters on the road these next few weeks we'll be OK.

Now, if we can just get the defense to do the same we'll be more than OK.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 01:54 PM
So nobody wishes that we'd landed Cam Newton?

Not for the offenses sake. Look at other teams that have had to adjusted to different QBs in their system. They're struggling offensively. If we would've got Cam the offense would've had to change drastically. I don't think it would've just clicked right away.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 01:56 PM
One of Landry's strengths is having a series where he completely brain farts - then follow it up with a strong performance. He's one of the most unshakable players I've seen. The whole "deer in the headlights" comment is stupid. What he has is major brain fade. He ain't afraid of getting hit. The guy is tougher than nails. For whatever reason, he kicks his brain in neutral every so often - more often on the road. It doesn't seem to phase him for long though.

If he can play a full 4-quarters on the road these next few weeks we'll be OK.

Now, if we can just get the defense to do the same we'll be more than OK.

Yea he's a lot more comfortable when the defense is playing well.

Mississippi Sooner
11/2/2010, 02:06 PM
As long as he's stretching like this:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/402/013/104007502_display_image.jpg

sooner518
11/2/2010, 02:11 PM
As good as Cam Newton is, our offense would change so much with him in there. Watching Cam play Ole Miss this past weekend, Landry is a better passer. Obviously Newton is a great runner, but we've never had a QB like that since Stoops has been here.

oudavid1
11/2/2010, 02:23 PM
Cam would have made a decent receiver at OU

tcrb
11/2/2010, 02:33 PM
Nothing is wrong with Landry. He has good games and not so good games. He'll have a good series and then take a dump on the next one...then come back and have another great series. He's a frickin' human, not a robot. Every player has ups and downs. It would be great if he were perfect, but he's not. He's a solid QB and he's damned accurate for the most part. He's made some pretty amazing throws this year.

FlippMoke
11/2/2010, 02:37 PM
I am really tired of everyone jumping all over Landry as well, I think he is a great quarterback. He did make some bad decisions at Missouri, but that wasn't the only reason we lost that game.

TahoeSOONER
11/2/2010, 02:38 PM
Big stretch and I expect big things will come from Landry.

I think this team is ready to prove itself in hostile territory.

soonercastor
11/2/2010, 02:40 PM
I am really tired of everyone jumping all over Landry as well, I think he is a great quarterback. He did make some bad decisions at Missouri, but that wasn't the only reason we lost that game.

he isn't a "great" quarterback...yet. But he has the potential to become one.

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 03:36 PM
As good as Cam Newton is, our offense would change so much with him in there. Watching Cam play Ole Miss this past weekend, Landry is a better passer. Obviously Newton is a great runner, but we've never had a QB like that since Stoops has been here.

Not trying to start trouble here, but the previous QB for Auburn had exactly -116 yards rushing and 2600 yards passing. So it's safe to say that Newton was a pretty big change to them too.

Just wondering. I'm interested in people that actually deliver on their hype.

theSoonertheBetter
11/2/2010, 03:46 PM
I'm lazy so I'll admit I haven't ready everything that's been posted but Jones is great when given time. It's not just road games where he suffers. It's pressure. We saw it against US. When pressured he gets he gets happy feet. It's not his fault he gets pressure. that can be blamed on the blocking or the play calling, it's how he handles it that has me worried. I do think though that in time he'll over come this and be more of a consistant QB. One thing's for sure, he's not the reason we lost at Missouri.

East Coast Bias
11/2/2010, 03:52 PM
Cam has been successful at what he does in more than one place. He would have done very well here as well. He is Radio with an IQ....

Okie35
11/2/2010, 03:53 PM
Not trying to start trouble here, but the previous QB for Auburn had exactly -116 yards rushing and 2600 yards passing. So it's safe to say that Newton was a pretty big change to them too.

Just wondering. I'm interested in people that actually deliver on their hype.

Not really, Chizik still ran the spread that year. Its just Todd couldn't run as fast lol.

stoopified
11/2/2010, 04:03 PM
i really
really
really
really
really
really
really
really...........
wish people would stop saying they see a look in landry like a "dear in the headlights", you see it on tv and your not down there so you really dont know what he is thinking. I seriously doubt he ever gets scared. So please, stop being coaches. Landry is ok. Hell, he is better than Greg McElroy.I hear ya.

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 04:09 PM
deleted

mightysooner
11/2/2010, 04:09 PM
he isn't a "great" quarterback...yet. But he has the potential to become one.

When Landry gets his downfield accuracy up to 60+%, from 50%, he will cross the threshold into "greatness" territory.

OU_Sooners75
11/2/2010, 04:13 PM
Just Remember Sam Bradford struggled on the road too. I can remember a really sloppy game against Iowa State. Hence, it's not just LJ.

For some reason, this coaching staff struggles on the road. They appear to go too conservative on offense and defense when on the road. They try to run the ball too much and play bend don't break defense. I believe they are trying to chew the clock. At times, I miss the aggressive nature this staff had when they 1st started. I'm not complaining too much, because they still win a lot of games.

Dont forget the Colorado Game in 2007 when he went 8 of 19 passing. Something like 2 INTs and zero TDs. IF memory serves correctly.

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 04:20 PM
Not quite. He had 1 TD.

The funny thing is we can still remember ALL of Sam's bad road games.

yankee
11/2/2010, 05:25 PM
When Landry gets his downfield accuracy up to 60+%, from 50%, he will cross the threshold into "greatness" territory.

how far downfield are we talking here mel kiper? i've always measured the greatness of QB's based on the awesomeness of their 8-14 yard passes.

VA Sooner
11/2/2010, 08:20 PM
Once Landry gets steady pressure from others' d-lines, he gets a little jumpy. Will get better with time. I'm not worried.

The d-line will all depend on whether we get Walker and Noble back. An 80% Taylor and MacFarland can't hold up the middle for four quarters, we're too thin there and we got hurt by Mizzou. Doubt that Torrea Peterson will make it back... best for him to take a redshirt.

Once we plug the middle, then the secondary won't have to cheat up and Quentin won't have the second highest total of tackles on the charts anymore.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 08:31 PM
Not quite. He had 1 TD.

The funny thing is we can still remember ALL of Sam's bad road games.

Only ones I remember were @ Colorado and @ Iowa State in 07.

tcrb
11/2/2010, 08:34 PM
Only ones I remember were @ Colorado and @ Iowa State in 07.

As I recall, that ISU game had 25-35 mph winds. That makes for a challenging passing game.

Okie35
11/2/2010, 08:46 PM
As I recall, that ISU game had 25-35 mph winds. That makes for a challenging passing game.

OUr whole offense didn't play too well that game.

ictsooner7
11/2/2010, 08:54 PM

You got that right. It bothers me that Stoops only talked about the three turnovers and not the 36 points given up by the DEFENSE.