PDA

View Full Version : The worst problem facing south OKC is...

TUSooner
11/2/2010, 08:53 AM
illegal immigration !?!

As I observed on my recent trip to OK, that's what some candidate says in his adds, then he accuses his opponent of not supporting the Arizona immigration bill. Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle.
This is demamgoguery and hate-pandering to an absurd degree. Talk about the race card. In effect, the guy is saying, "You don't need to worry about how the state gub'ment works, just remember that I hate them heathen wetbacks as much as you do."

Which brings to mind another observance: Juxtaposed against a background of distinctly anti-hispanic and anti-muslim political pandering, I also heard a bunch of talk about how caring Oklahomans are to all in need. Should I conclude that Oklahomans are filled with compassion and Christian charity, but only for English-speaking Christians? (Of course, it's certainly not just Okies.)

I guess Christiantity is not a religion (nor a "religeon") of love, mercy and self-sacrifice after all, but rather a handy political dividing line between the good guys and the bad. Some folks will candidly admit that they don't go to church regularly or pay a whole lot of thought to the specifics of the Gospel, but when it comes to politics, theyll "vote for Jesus" every time - even if it's really the Father of Lies peddling hate to fools in Jesus's much-abused name.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :cool:

Explanatory note from another post: To me, Christianity has to do with everything. But mainly, but I am struck by the hypocrisy I observe in the religious right, and specifically the hypocrisy I observed this weekend. I don't claim to be original.

mgsooner
11/2/2010, 09:02 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mjw5cW3W1sY/S9xXKA_i3RI/AAAAAAAACXY/srKdqOm4_xQ/s640/nuclear-bomb.jpg

oumartin
11/2/2010, 09:13 AM
what does christianity have to do with it?

I don't vote for jesus or against him. I prefer to vote against those that are for killing unborn babies.

saucysoonergal
11/2/2010, 09:17 AM
I tend to vote against swingers myself. ;)

TUSooner
11/2/2010, 09:18 AM

I don't vote for jesus or against him. I prefer to vote against those that are for killing unborn babies.

I guess, to me, Christianity has to do with everything. But mainly, but I am struck by the hypocrisy I observe in the religious right, and specifically the hypocrisy I observed this weekend. I don't claim to be original.

OklahomaTuba
11/2/2010, 09:33 AM
Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it.

Either this is a nation of laws or it isn't.

And the only person calling anyone names is people like you (wetbacks, really?), trying to claim someone else is racist.

XingTheRubicon
11/2/2010, 10:09 AM
It's never too soon to be concerned about illegals taking over.

Ask Dallas residents how it's working out for them...

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5282/disd20enroll20by20eth20.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/i/disd20enroll20by20eth20.jpg/)

oumartin
11/2/2010, 10:19 AM
There is obviously racial undertones in the colors that the hispanics and blacks are shown as on that graph.

mgsooner
11/2/2010, 10:21 AM
Shouldn't the Asians be yellow? Hi-oooooohhh!!!!!!!!!!

stoopified
11/2/2010, 11:57 AM
Injuns should be red. :)

diegosooner
11/2/2010, 12:09 PM

The latinos are with you on this one.

TUSooner
11/2/2010, 12:16 PM
As a lawyer, I know the difference between legal and illegal. As an observer of human behavior, I know BS without having to step in it.

If the legal-illegal distinction were really as signficant as some say, then amnesty and legalization would solve - at the stroke of a pen - the problem of most aliens living outside of immigration law but being otherwise law-abiding. But we've plowed this ground before, and that's not really the issue. SicEm knows, and he is not a hypocrite about it.

oumartin
11/2/2010, 12:23 PM
a lawyer? well that explains it! ;)

TUSooner
11/2/2010, 12:49 PM

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5282/disd20enroll20by20eth20.jpg (http://img180.imageshack.us/i/disd20enroll20by20eth20.jpg/)

Are all those hispanics illegal? Just sayin' ;)

SoonerMustang
11/2/2010, 12:57 PM
You want to know who's pushing immigration laws like Arizona, then try this on for size. I am absolutely against illegal immigration but private prisons who make a profit from locking people up???? This stuff is out of control!

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130833741

oumartin
11/2/2010, 01:21 PM
Sounds like capitalism to me.

Cornfed
11/2/2010, 01:23 PM
I guess, to me, Christianity has to do with everything. But mainly, but I am struck by the hypocrisy I observe in the religious right, and specifically the hypocrisy I observed this weekend. I don't claim to be original.

I laughed at this statement.

GDC
11/3/2010, 10:24 AM

They have a name for it in Mexico, "Re-Conquista".

SoonerStormchaser
11/3/2010, 10:37 AM
Yah...they remembered the Alamo too...and now they're slowly taking it back.

saucysoonergal
11/3/2010, 10:38 AM
At least they won't be able to read any of our official state documents now!!! ;)

TUSooner
11/3/2010, 10:50 AM
At least they won't be able to read any of our official state documents now!!! ;)

That'll teach 'em a lesson!

Partial Qualifier
11/3/2010, 11:23 AM
Mixing religious ideology with campaign ads and civic issues.. it's no wonder you're befuddled!

I can't comment on the ad it self because I didn't see it, but I can see how illegal immigrants *could* be a problem for certain areas of south OKC.

If you're confused why the "religious right" can say they're Christians and care about those in need -- then the next minute they support fixing the illegal immigrant problem -- it's not a hypocritical lack of benevolence. It's two totally seperate issues. Christians must obey the laws of the land. Why can't they expect everyone else to do the same?

"Immigrants" are generally well-treated and supported in the bible belt. "Illegal immigrants", probably not so much. It ain't rocket science.

Partial Qualifier
11/3/2010, 11:34 AM
If the legal-illegal distinction were really as signficant as some say, then amnesty and legalization would solve - at the stroke of a pen - the problem of most aliens living outside of immigration law but being otherwise law-abiding. But we've plowed this ground before, and that's not really the issue. SicEm knows, and he is not a hypocrite about it.

but..... we want them to go through the naturalization process.

tcrb
11/3/2010, 12:22 PM
As a lawyer, I know the difference between legal and illegal. As an observer of human behavior, I know BS without having to step in it.

Great idea. Let's reward those that broke our laws and came here illegally giving them citizenship via the fast track. That will certainly cure the problem. The influx of illegal immigrants will stop immediately.

There's only one way to stop illegal immigration. Take away the freebies. No more free health care, no more free education, no more anchor babies, no more welfare and food stamps for illegals. I'm all for immigration as long as it's done legally. This country was founded and built by immigrants. But the drain today that is created by people who receive benefits without paying taxes will eventually tip our economy on its side.

Cornfed
11/3/2010, 01:44 PM
My Mother in law works at the state health dept. Anyone can come in and get FREE health clinic visits and there are usually alot of meds and such to hand out for free here as well. 90 percent of the people that com into the office she works at are illegal aliens. This is completely funded by OUR tax dollars. The other thing that bothers her is that they show up at their appontments in Lincolns and caddys.

The
11/3/2010, 01:48 PM
I say this:
http://i.imgur.com/4NgFN.jpg

SoonerMustang
11/3/2010, 06:12 PM
Mixing religious ideology with campaign ads and civic issues.. it's no wonder you're befuddled!

I can't comment on the ad it self because I didn't see it, but I can see how illegal immigrants *could* be a problem for certain areas of south OKC.

If you're confused why the "religious right" can say they're Christians and care about those in need -- then the next minute they support fixing the illegal immigrant problem -- it's not a hypocritical lack of benevolence. It's two totally seperate issues. Christians must obey the laws of the land. Why can't they expect everyone else to do the same?

"Immigrants" are generally well-treated and supported in the bible belt. "Illegal immigrants", probably not so much. It ain't rocket science.

What I find mystifying about this mentality is simply this...What would you do to improve your childrens situation? I am not advocating law violations but if you look at the root of the issue, it is abject poverty. By the way, the Bible never mentions treating people badly if they are illegal immigrants....it says completely the opposite.

Serge Ibaka
11/3/2010, 06:15 PM
Everybody knows that if Jesus were born today, he would be white and American.

Also, he would be wealthy--probably turning his carpentry skills into a successful contracting enterprise. The question is: would he hire undocumented workers? I mean: it's good for business, right?

Partial Qualifier
11/3/2010, 06:35 PM
What I find mystifying about this mentality is simply this...What would you do to improve your childrens situation? I am not advocating law violations but if you look at the root of the issue, it is abject poverty. By the way, the Bible never mentions treating people badly if they are illegal immigrants....it says completely the opposite.

I can tell you this: if I wanted to leave the country to provide a better future for my kids, I sure the hell wouldn't sneak into the new country illegally.

I don't think poverty is the issue at all. Neither is the treatment of fellow humans. The only issue I see is the one you glossed over.

We have laws for a reason and letting people come into the US -- undocumented -- setting up home & shop with no background check, combined with their ignorance of our laws... it's not a good thing. Not to mention this amounts to millions & millions of people who do not pay taxes. I don't give a **** what the situation is back in Messico - GTFO and come back in the legal way.

The question is: would he hire undocumented workers? I mean: it's good for business, right?

don't you mean amirite ??

Serge Ibaka
11/3/2010, 06:42 PM
I can tell you this: if I wanted to leave the country to provide a better future for my kids, I sure the hell wouldn't sneak into the new country illegally. ?

How the f*ck can you know that? You're not living in poverty just miles away from the United States. You have absolutely no way of knowing how you might act or feel.

Your post is empty and meaningless.

Partial Qualifier
11/3/2010, 09:58 PM
How the f*ck can you know that? You're not living in poverty just miles away from the United States. You have absolutely no way of knowing how you might act or feel.

Okay, fair enough. But if I'm smart enough to figure out how to get IN the U.S. without detection, and avoid deportation once I'm here, and actually make my life better (whether through crime or being used like a rented mule), then I'm probably level enough to know my options in the new land will be severely limited because of my illegal status.

And you know what? Mexico ain't a 3rd World country, despite the appearance of some illegals. Yes Northern Mexico is a wasteland but the country is quite complex and does sustain industry.

You're right though, I can't really put myself in their shoes -- though I will contend that if I were in the same boat, and had the wherewithall, I'd like to believe I'd know right (naturalize legally, have options) from wrong (hide from the popo and mow yards my whole life).

If they're dumb & poor there, they'll be dumb & poor here. I'm all for letting them stay dumb & poor over there. You can't fix stupid.

StoopTroup
11/3/2010, 10:22 PM
Anyone that thinks Churches and religious entities should be free of hypocrisy might as well just give up on Christianity IMO. We're all sinners and capable of sin. God knew it was so tough for us that he sent Moses down with 10 items for us to follow and that was difficult for us. Adam and Eve....yeah they didn't due so well. The Bible is full of examples.

If someone broke the law in running their bid for becoming an elected official....they should be called on it. If they were a religious hypocrite....cast the 1st stone if you got beat by him and you ran a perfect race I guess.

TUSooner
11/4/2010, 07:47 AM
Anyone that thinks Churches and religious entities should be free of hypocrisy might as well just give up on Christianity IMO. We're all sinners and capable of sin. God knew it was so tough for us that he sent Moses down with 10 items for us to follow and that was difficult for us. Adam and Eve....yeah they didn't due so well. The Bible is full of examples.

If someone broke the law in running their bid for becoming an elected official....they should be called on it. If they were a religious hypocrite....cast the 1st stone if you got beat by him and you ran a perfect race I guess.

Fair enough, inasmuch as none of us really measure up (though some come very much closer to doing so than I do). Still, the hypocrisy of nominal Christianity shouldn't get a pass. Jesus said some pretty strong things about hypocrites and those whose "righteousness" is only self-righteousness that doesn't extend past the ends of their noses.

StoopTroup
11/4/2010, 07:51 AM
Fair enough, inasmuch as none of us really measure up (though some come very much closer to doing so than I do). Still, the hypocrisy of nominal Christianity shouldn't get a pass. Jesus said some pretty strong things about hypocrites and those whose "righteousness" is only self-righteousness that doesn't extend past the ends of their noses.

Yep. I just think you have to leave it to the big guy sometimes in these things. If 200,000+ people can't see it...we just have to have faith it will work out somehow.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 08:11 AM
OK...That graph is really effed up. Did the Dallas school district REALLY go from 95,000 white kids to like 8,000 in 35 years? Seems weird that so many whites and to a lesser extent blacks suddenly quit ****ing.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 08:15 AM
I'm way more concerned with Asians and Indians taking all our good jobs than Mexicans taking the shatty ones.

texaspokieokie
11/4/2010, 08:17 AM
they moved to the suburbs.

sooner_born_1960
11/4/2010, 08:20 AM
OK...That graph is really effed up. Did the Dallas school district REALLY go from 95,000 white kids to like 8,000 in 35 years? Seems weird that so many whites and to a lesser extent blacks suddenly quit ****ing.
They moved to the suburbs.

TUSooner
11/4/2010, 08:23 AM
I'm way more concerned with Asians and Indians taking all our good jobs than Mexicans taking the shatty ones.

They're studying while Okie kids are boinking and getting high at church camp.

The foregoing is not meant to be taken seriously.

Crucifax Autumn
11/4/2010, 08:25 AM
So even the blacks are bailing on the inner city? Those Mexicans must be badasses.

SoonerMustang
11/4/2010, 10:32 AM
Okay, fair enough. But if I'm smart enough to figure out how to get IN the U.S. without detection, and avoid deportation once I'm here, and actually make my life better (whether through crime or being used like a rented mule), then I'm probably level enough to know my options in the new land will be severely limited because of my illegal status.

And you know what? Mexico ain't a 3rd World country, despite the appearance of some illegals. Yes Northern Mexico is a wasteland but the country is quite complex and does sustain industry.

You're right though, I can't really put myself in their shoes -- though I will contend that if I were in the same boat, and had the wherewithall, I'd like to believe I'd know right (naturalize legally, have options) from wrong (hide from the popo and mow yards my whole life).

If they're dumb & poor there, they'll be dumb & poor here. I'm all for letting them stay dumb & poor over there. You can't fix stupid.

Speaking of stupid, your comments either infer a congenital lack of capacity for reasoning, or a temporary state of daze or slow-mindedness. I am having trouble distinguishing which one applies to you. Help me, help you!

Partial Qualifier
11/4/2010, 10:41 AM
Speaking of stupid, your comments either infer a congenital lack of capacity for reasoning, or a temporary state of daze or slow-mindedness. I am having trouble distinguishing which one applies to you. Help me, help you!

Leave my genitals out of this, buster.

GDC
11/4/2010, 10:52 AM
If I was a Mexican I would just stay home and work for a drug cartel.