PDA

View Full Version : Did Renteria earn himself a spot in Cooperstown?

Collier11
11/2/2010, 02:32 AM
2x World Series Champ
2x Series winning hits in the WS
5x All Star
2x Gold Glover Winner
3x Silver Slugger
.288 career average
2200+ hits

Probably not but damn thats impressive, one of only 4 guys ever to clinch two diff WS's

GrapevineSooner
11/2/2010, 07:54 AM
2x World Series Champ
5x All Star
2x Gold Glover Winner
3x Silver Slugger
.288 career average
2200+ hits

Probably not but damn thats impressive, one of only 4 guys ever to clinch two diff WS's

And he ended another with a ground out to Keith Foulke :D

texaspokieokie
11/2/2010, 07:54 AM
to me, very good career, but not HOF.
JMHO

ouleaf
11/2/2010, 08:28 AM
Just going to depend on who else is eligible when his time is up? I think there is a case there for him. He's by no means an automatic lock, but he has had a really great career. There has been a lot of talk about him retiring after this season, but who knows if that will change now?

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2010, 08:44 AM
yeah, none of those stats are HoF material...Thats like saying Robert Horry is HoF material, except Horry did it a lot more often in his sport

texaspokieokie
11/2/2010, 08:45 AM
2x World Series Champ
5x All Star
2x Gold Glover Winner
3x Silver Slugger
.288 career average
2200+ hits

2 winning series AB ain't much for HOF.
same with 5x all-star & 2x gold glove. andruuw jones has 10 or 11 gold glove, he's surely not in.

.288 batting average not HOF, altho i'm sure many in HOF have lower averages. not trying to bad-mouth him, but just going by the above mentioned items, don't think he's in.

somantos
11/2/2010, 06:03 PM
Offshore Company Incorporation (http://www.verticaloffshore.com)

yankee
11/2/2010, 08:21 PM
Offshore Company Incorporation (http://www.verticaloffshore.com)

shrimp on tha barbie!!!

Scott D
11/3/2010, 01:28 PM
no, he is not.

texaspokieokie
11/5/2010, 08:09 AM
giants didn't even pick up his option.

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:36 PM
the problem with Renteria is that he's an every one out of two to three year player. He's had some pretty pedestrian years in both the field and at the plate. He's been fortunate to be a solid defensive SS on some good teams to win his titles.

Not slamming him, but he's as much HoF material as Jermaine Dye.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 03:37 PM
well remember I put in my initial post that I didnt think he was either, he has had some amazing moments for one player though

Scott D
11/5/2010, 03:49 PM
unfortunately for Renteria I remember his pedestrian seasons in the American League where he wasn't even in the top half of shortstops either offensively or defensively.

ouleaf
11/5/2010, 03:56 PM
giants didn't even pick up his option.

I don't really think anyone would pay him the $9MM he is due so I'm not really surprised. WS performance aside, his durability is a serious factor at this point. It's easier to just pay his buyout price and then try and renegotiate a deal that's fair to both the Giants and Renteria if he wants to continue playing.

It's going to be a similar situation with Vlad and the Rangers. I think the team has an option this year for around $9MM or a 500M-1MM buyout. While Vlad had a good season numbers wise, he isn't worth that much money and he can't play the OF any more. Save the $8MM and use it to go after Carl Crawford. That way you could rotate the DH throughout your 4 OF guys in Hamilton, Nellie, Crawford, and Murphy.

Collier11
11/5/2010, 04:00 PM
I dont know, Vlad was a HUGE reason why that team made it so far this year, I think $9mill is a pretty fair price in baseballs market for a guy who puts up .300, 29 and 115

soonerinabilene
11/5/2010, 05:04 PM
I don't really think anyone would pay him the $9MM he is due so I'm not really surprised. WS performance aside, his durability is a serious factor at this point. It's easier to just pay his buyout price and then try and renegotiate a deal that's fair to both the Giants and Renteria if he wants to continue playing.

It's going to be a similar situation with Vlad and the Rangers. I think the team has an option this year for around $9MM or a 500M-1MM buyout. While Vlad had a good season numbers wise, he isn't worth that much money and he can't play the OF any more. Save the $8MM and use it to go after Carl Crawford. That way you could rotate the DH throughout your 4 OF guys in Hamilton, Nellie, Crawford, and Murphy.

The fact that the Rangers have an owner who actually knows baseball makes me think this might happen. Im actually excited to see what they do in the offseason, instead of dreading another horrible pitcher coming in.

texaspokieokie
11/6/2010, 08:53 AM
I dont know, Vlad was a HUGE reason why that team made it so far this year, I think $9mill is a pretty fair price in baseballs market for a guy who puts up .300, 29 and 115

his numbers fell off in the 2nd half & the WS.

plus, he ain't young.

Scott D
11/6/2010, 11:33 AM
yeah I don't see $9M being in the cards for Vlad anymore....he's looking at likely 3-5 + incentives.

texaspokieokie
11/6/2010, 03:55 PM
not really a bad salary. especially for batting 4 to 5 times/game.

diegosooner
11/7/2010, 12:57 PM
The MVP for a World Series is his reward for some clutch world series performances. Not HOF.