PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for UT's Curtis Brown

colleyvillesooner
11/1/2010, 10:28 PM
According to Mack, he has a baby in critical condition in a Houston hospital. Been there since Tuesday before the Baylor game. Makes you realize what's really important. With a 20 month old boy and a girl due in 2 weeks, this just hits close to home.

TahoeSOONER
11/1/2010, 10:32 PM
Nightmare, prayers for the Brown family.

Blue
11/1/2010, 10:33 PM
Yup.

sooner59
11/1/2010, 10:46 PM
Damn, hope everything works out for them.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 10:54 PM
Prayers for the Child and the Family.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/longhorns-football-notebook-1013337.html

Curtis Brown's 1-year-old daughter, Alayah, was hospitalized in Houston last week with an extremely dangerous respiratory illness. The coach, telling the story Monday with permission from Curtis Brown, said Brown called him Tuesday night and asked to be allowed to go to Houston to be with his daughter.

"Obviously, I said yes," Brown said.

But before the cornerback could leave, his name randomly popped up on a mandatory NCAA drug test that was scheduled for last Wednesday morning, one of two conducted each season. Curtis Brown was told missing the test would cost him the standard penalty — a one-year suspension, which would have meant the rest of his college career since he is a senior.

"Bless his heart," the coach said, "he got up at 5 (Wednesday morning), took the test at 6 and got in the car and left."

Curtis Brown arrived back in Austin on Friday in time to meet the team at its hotel.

"Like anybody else would be, he was pretty distraught over the situation," said defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, who said he and secondary coach Duane Akina visited with Brown upon his return.

Mack Brown, who said Brown's daughter has improved slightly, said the NCAA needs flexibility in its drug-testing penalties for similar situations like that in the future.

"We need to look at ways that we can get an emergency appeal in that situation because that's not right," the coach said. "It's not fair to put a young man in an awful position, and he didn't know what to do.

"Sometimes," Brown added, "there's a whole lot more on a young man's plate than we know and we think."

sooneron
11/1/2010, 10:55 PM
Sad indeed.

SunnySooner
11/1/2010, 11:00 PM
Prayers for that family, kids and hospitals are not fun. Hope she's OK.

Blue
11/1/2010, 11:04 PM
The NCAA sucks. Bigtime.

sooner59
11/1/2010, 11:11 PM
National
Communists
Against
Athletes

OKC-SLC
11/1/2010, 11:11 PM
Hope the little girl gets better every day.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 11:14 PM
IN

SicEmBaylor
11/1/2010, 11:20 PM
The NCAA sucks. Bigtime.

This.

A bunch of bottom dwellers who can't apply a little common sense that allows them to be flexible enough for an athlete who needs to get to the hospital for their sick kid.

Pathetic. I hate the NCAA more and more every year.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/1/2010, 11:22 PM
Prayers in.

And I'm sure if he had missed the test the NCAA would've had some leeway...
Not

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:25 PM
Not sure what the procedures are for the drug tests. I know we all tend to go directly to "THE NCAA SUCKS" when it comes to policy....but how long does it take to pee in a cup?

SicEmBaylor
11/1/2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure what the procedures are for the drug tests. I know we all tend to go directly to "THE NCAA SUCKS" when it comes to policy....but how long does it take to pee in a cup?

Maybe they have to have someone from the NCAA there in a "chain of evidence" type deal.

Collier11
11/1/2010, 11:27 PM
Where is the Fuggin common sense, good grief!!!

Prayers to Brown and his family

Collier11
11/1/2010, 11:28 PM

Cmon Stoop, what if it was your kid and before you could go see them your job told you that you had to go pee in a cup, I doubt you'd be happy

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:32 PM
Maybe they have to have someone from the NCAA there in a "chain of evidence" type deal.

That's kind of my point. If they are on site and readily available this shouldn't be a very long process I wouldn't think. As bad as attitudes have been over losing all these games...Mack and I'm sure many others are pretty quick to be riled up. Add to the fact that Curtis had a bad performance and now has an ill child....things get blown out of proportion possibly?

Hopefully Curtis's Child will be OK and his drug test is clean. Would hate to see him have any more problems on top of an ill child.

olevetonahill
11/1/2010, 11:32 PM

Yea They Succs ST
He found out about it Tuesday evening and wanted to Leave then , But had to wait till Wed. Morning because of the test .:eek:

In on the prayers fer the little girl

thatmediadude
11/1/2010, 11:38 PM
Makes you realize how silly a game is when something like this happens. I always want OU to beat Texas, but at the end of the day, the Texas guys are probably really good men. God Bless you Curtis and your perfect little daughter. Prayers are with you from Sooner Nation.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:40 PM
Cmon Stoop, what if it was your kid and before you could go see them your job told you that you had to go pee in a cup, I doubt you'd be happy

I fall under DOT Mandatory Drug Testing and I have even less flexibility than he does more than likely. Since I've been used to this process for over 20 years, I guess I'm a bit of a sceptic. I've seen folks get riled up about them and later find out they flunked the test.

There is always two sides to every story and taking the test would upset me a bit but I'd go get it out of the way and then go check on my kid. I'd do it because I don't need to pile more problems on top of an already bad situation.

Curtis took his test. He did the right thing even though common sense wasn't available in this situation.

I know it might be hard for some folks to understand but lots of folks really go out of their way these days to avoid testing and they are the ones that have made it difficult for the folks who are responsible to give leeway for the testing.

SicEmBaylor
11/1/2010, 11:44 PM
That's kind of my point. If they are on site and readily available this shouldn't be a very long process I wouldn't think. As bad as attitudes have been over losing all these games...Mack and I'm sure many others are pretty quick to be riled up. Add to the fact that Curtis had a bad performance and now has an ill child....things get blown out of proportion possibly?

Hopefully Curtis's Child will be OK and his drug test is clean. Would hate to see him have any more problems on top of an ill child.

Aye. I just think at times some flexibility could be applied. He was on his way to a hospital, why not make some sort of arrangement to do the test at the hospital and let him go ahead and get down there?

Although, there is something to be said for the fact that if they let him put it off it could allow any drugs that he may be taking to filter out of his system. Not that I'm accusing him or anything -- just hypothetically speaking.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:45 PM
Makes you realize how silly a game is when something like this happens. I always want OU to beat Texas, but at the end of the day, the Texas guys are probably really good men. God Bless you Curtis and your perfect little daughter. Prayers are with you from Sooner Nation.

Nice Post.

tommieharris91
11/1/2010, 11:47 PM
Just gotta hope his kid pulls through now.

StoopTroup
Aye. I just think at times some flexibility could be applied. He was on his way to a hospital, why not make some sort of arrangement to do the test at the hospital and let him go ahead and get down there?Although, there is something to be said for the fact that if they let him put it off it could allow any drugs that he may be taking to filter out of his system. Not that I'm accusing him or anything -- just hypothetically speaking.

That's why I asked about the procedures. I know how mine are but not the Student Athletes. Maybe someone who's been a NCAA player in the last few years could give some info on it.

SoonerBacker
Prayers outbound!

Blue
11/2/2010, 12:13 AM
That's why I asked about the procedures. I know how mine are but not the Student Athletes. Maybe someone who's been a NCAA player in the last few years could give some info on it.

There's probably alot of emergencies the day before a drug test. It sucks for when it's the real deal.

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 12:27 AM
Aye. I just think at times some flexibility could be applied. He was on his way to a hospital, why not make some sort of arrangement to do the test at the hospital and let him go ahead and get down there?

Although, there is something to be said for the fact that if they let him put it off it could allow any drugs that he may be taking to filter out of his system. Not that I'm accusing him or anything -- just hypothetically speaking.

The NCAA was apparently never told about the situation and never denied the athlete anything. If you don't request special treatment, you can't complain about not getting it.

And StoopTroup is right: State that you can skip a test because of an illness in the family and every athlete will have a sick grandma in the hospital. Don't blame the NCAA; blame those who constantly try to skirt the rules.

d.stOUgh
11/2/2010, 12:31 AM
GOD works in HIS own ways, we don't know know why, but my prayers are with you...

oudavid1
11/2/2010, 01:30 AM
Prayers, God be with him, his family, and everyone on that team.

OUTrumpet
11/2/2010, 05:50 AM
Prayers to his family, hoping for a positive update soon on this....

fwsooner22
11/2/2010, 08:13 AM
Prayers and hope. Thanks for the note Colleyville.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/2/2010, 09:47 AM
In....

fnulnu007
11/2/2010, 09:58 AM
National
Communists
Against
Athletes

I loved it when the Boz wore that shirt! Speaking of the Boz, did anyone see him on Spike TV's Blue Mountain State? Hilarious!

badger
11/2/2010, 10:20 AM
Prayers for Curtis, of course.

As for the NCAA, I heard that most players won't answer their phones in the morning anymore because of those stupid drug test rules. You answer the phone, they call you in for a test and if you don't show up in the next half hour (even if you're still asleep and naked in bed), you fail. However, if you don't answer the phone, they call someone else.

I wonder if Curtis was answering his phone, thinking it would be news on his daughter and instead, he was conned into being one of the unlucky drug test recipients?

BillyBall
11/2/2010, 10:22 AM
Man that's sad...

Okie35
11/2/2010, 10:31 AM

They do. Its a whole procedure. I hope his daughter pulls through.

Leroy Lizard
11/2/2010, 11:14 AM
Prayers for Curtis, of course.

As for the NCAA, I heard that most players won't answer their phones in the morning anymore because of those stupid drug test rules. You answer the phone, they call you in for a test and if you don't show up in the next half hour (even if you're still asleep and naked in bed), you fail. However, if you don't answer the phone, they call someone else.

I wonder if Curtis was answering his phone, thinking it would be news on his daughter and instead, he was conned into being one of the unlucky drug test recipients?

Conned?

Yeah, those sneaky NCAA bastards, calling Curtis because they knew he would pick the phone up to hear news of his daughter. :rolleyes:

I would love for some of you to adopt a drug policy and see how hard it is to make it stick.

badger
11/2/2010, 11:15 AM
I feel conned every time I pick up the phone, thinking it's a friend or family member calling and instead it's a phone solicitor. I imagine Curtis felt the same way, times 100.