PDA

View Full Version : Who's going with me to College Station?

Dwight
11/1/2010, 04:31 PM
anyways, there anything to do there before the game? I'll have ~5 hours to kill...

jumperstop
11/1/2010, 04:34 PM
anyways, there anything to do there before the game? I'll have ~5 hours to kill...

Stay off the grass and take your hat off in the union, they will tear you a new one for breaking those commandments. Those traditions are more important to them then winning down there.

jumperstop
11/1/2010, 04:35 PM
No but really, the Bush Presidential Library is pretty cool

Cornfed
11/1/2010, 04:39 PM
Wish I could...:(

humblesooner
11/1/2010, 07:28 PM
We're in X 4. Not much to do. Bring your own beer to drink before the game. They don't sell on every street corner like in Norman.
Not much to do before the game.

sooner59
11/1/2010, 08:06 PM
Stay off the grass and take your hat off in the union, they will tear you a new one for breaking those commandments. All of their stupid traditions are more important to them then winning down there.

FIFY.

And IN!

Dwight
11/1/2010, 09:48 PM
We're in X 4. Not much to do. Bring your own beer to drink before the game. They don't sell on every street corner like in Norman.
Not much to do before the game.

Not old enough to drink- only 17. Question: Is there sufficient parking?

jagvocate
11/1/2010, 10:23 PM
Pre-game, take a walk around "West Campus" or Spence Park and talk to tail-gaiting Aggies. Y'all have whipped us so many times the last decade that I doubt anyone would be hostile to you. I will be shocked if folks don't offer a cold beer or some food off the grill/smoker to you.

Go see the Sanders Corps of Cadets Museum. If you like to make A&M "Nazi" jokes, you can see artifacts from the Nazis captured or killed by various Aggies during WWII. If you aren't the type to make those kind of jokes, there's some great exhibits WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf I, OIF, OEf, and firearms exhibits of rare pistols and rifles from around the world, some 100s of years old. There's also decades of 20th Century Southwest Conference and military memorabilia, representing various phases of our country's history and our region's football history.

Go see "Step Off" on the Quad about an hour and a half before kickoff. If you want to laugh at Aggies, this will provide you with plenty of reasons to do so. If you're of the mind just to see something different, you'll notice a couple of thousand young Americans wearing uniforms, singing "Jodies" and marching in cadence. In addition to the "fake soldiers" so often parodied on Big XII message boards, you'll see hundreds of future military officers and dozens of prior service members in uniform, sporting items like "combat patches" and "Purple Hearts."

Then go to the game. Anything can happen at a night game at Kyle Field--especially with y'all in town. I could be wrong, but I think it will be a great College Football game.

After the game, head to "Northgate" to drink or eat or dance. Regardless of the outcome, if you wear your OU colors, I'll be absolutely amazed if someone doesn't pour you a drink from their pitcher or talk football with you.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/1/2010, 11:20 PM
I live here for the time being. We'll be tailgating behind home plate at Olson Field all day

MamaMia
11/2/2010, 01:28 AM
I would LOVE to go with you, but I better sit this one out.

I'll be cheering us on from home. Have a safe journey, cheer extra for me and watch out for bats. :)

sooner59
11/2/2010, 01:35 AM
What are some good (not expensive) placed to eat in College Station. I have made the trip in '06 and '08, but I am always looking for new places to try.

CaliBornSoonerBred
11/2/2010, 09:34 AM
What are some good (not expensive) placed to eat in College Station. I have made the trip in '06 and '08, but I am always looking for new places to try.

There's a few good places down here to grab an inexpensive bite. C&J's BBQ is pretty good, the Dixie Chicken down in Northgate is good and nostalgic of sorts(plus very close to Kyle Field), there's also a local place called Sodolak's Beefmasters and they have one of the best chicken fried steaks I've ever had. Another option is Hullabaloo Diner, it was on food network's Diner's, Driveins, and Dives. It's about a 15 minute drive from Kyle field on the outside of town and is fantastic. All are very reasonably priced and not too far from campus. The selection is very limited here and it's just mostly chain places but you can't go wrong with the 4 listed. Oh, and stay away from the mexican food here for the most part, these aggies love these mexican food places but they are all garbage next to Tarahumara.

If anyone needs any questions answered about CS, DM me and I'll be glad to help as much as possible. We will be at our tailgate all day so any and all are welcome to stop by, they are some damn good ags that we tailgate with.

jagvocate
11/2/2010, 09:48 AM
Sooner59,

If you're going to be around campus and are looking for cheap food, try Freebird's World Burrito. It's a low-brow Chipotle, but pre-dates Chipotle (it's going on 20 years). Lot's of fajita-type burrito food, and cheap.

With 45,000 students running around, the College Station Tex-Mex is geared to the palate of 18-22 year olds. If you venture into downtown Bryan, Los Nortenos is worth it, mainly because it is BYOB -- grab a six pack before you walk in and you and your friends are set for the meal.

Koppe Bridge and Chicken Oil Company will provide solid, quick -- burgers, fries, chicken-strips, and cold sodas/cold beer - type food.

EstablishedSooner1967
11/2/2010, 10:17 AM
Just got hooked up with 50 yard line seats.. SWEEET... See you all there!

badger
11/2/2010, 10:47 AM
So...um... I hear that Kyle Field has become so commercialized and choreographed to the point that students in the stands are now leading yells because the Yell Leaders on the field are ordered not to during "12 Man TV" advertising :D

bluedogok
11/2/2010, 12:43 PM
One of my projects was the Fuego Tortilla Grill (http://www.fuegotortillagrill.com/) that opened up this past summer, similar to Taco Cabana in concept. It was "value engineered" during construction quite a bit from the original design. It's on University a block off of Texas Ave S.

humblesooner
11/2/2010, 12:59 PM
Not old enough to drink- only 17. Question: Is there sufficient parking?

Historically, there has been plenty. I guess there still is. But the last time we were there (in 2008), we had trouble finding the cash lots instead of Parking Pass lots. Just get in early and drive around a little.
Or, if you are female, you can stop and ask directions. :D

Boomer_Sooner_sax
11/2/2010, 01:12 PM
I will be there! Going with a few Sooners, a few Red Raiders and a few Ags. Should be an interesting day for our travelling party.

soonerboomer93
11/2/2010, 02:12 PM
Sooner59,

If you're going to be around campus and are looking for cheap food, try Freebird's World Burrito. It's a low-brow Chipotle, but pre-dates Chipotle (it's going on 20 years). Lot's of fajita-type burrito food, and cheap.

With 45,000 students running around, the College Station Tex-Mex is geared to the palate of 18-22 year olds. If you venture into downtown Bryan, Los Nortenos is worth it, mainly because it is BYOB -- grab a six pack before you walk in and you and your friends are set for the meal.

Koppe Bridge and Chicken Oil Company will provide solid, quick -- burgers, fries, chicken-strips, and cold sodas/cold beer - type food.

Freebirds >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ****potle

sooner59
11/2/2010, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't go to freebirds anyway. We have one up here.

ousooner1980
11/2/2010, 03:20 PM
4 of us are heading down early saturday morning... looks like we are headed to do some tailgating on the westside of the stadium.

Dwight
11/2/2010, 03:59 PM
Freebirds >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ****potle

The Freebirds in Norman always has a disgusting atmosphere. Chipotle is whey too spicy.

sooner59
11/2/2010, 05:12 PM
The Freebirds in Norman always has a disgusting atmosphere. Chipotle is whey too spicy.

You realize that you just tell them what to put on a burrito, right? If its too spicy, you can have them put something different on it. I never had a spicy burrito from there. I one at Freebirds that I made so spicy I started sweating. You can get a good burrito pretty much anywhere if you put the right stuff on it. I have never even had one from Qdoba, just always order quesadillas or tacos. I think there is a lengthy thread on this topic somewhere in the SO.

Dwight
11/2/2010, 05:29 PM
You realize that you just tell them what to put on a burrito, right? If its too spicy, you can have them put something different on it. I never had a spicy burrito from there. I one at Freebirds that I made so spicy I started sweating. You can get a good burrito pretty much anywhere if you put the right stuff on it. I have never even had one from Qdoba, just always order quesadillas or tacos. I think there is a lengthy thread on this topic somewhere in the SO.

?? Maybe it's just me, but every kind of meat they have is ridiculously spicy. I've never had a spicy one from Freebirds.

trwxxa
11/2/2010, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't go to freebirds anyway. We have one up here.

The Freebirds in CS are better than anywhere else. It's all in the way they wrap those rascals. :cool:

BermudaSooner
11/4/2010, 09:42 PM
?? Maybe it's just me, but every kind of meat they have is ridiculously spicy. I've never had a spicy one from Freebirds.

ummm...my 5 year old is laughing at you...just sayin'

JLEW1818
11/4/2010, 09:43 PM
where u sitting/hanging ?