PDA

View Full Version : That 21 year old Bumgarner

diegosooner
11/1/2010, 12:43 PM
reminds me of a young 20 year old Jim Palmer who shut out the Dodgers 6 - 0 in Game 2 of the World Series, '66 I believe. Handed Sandy Kofax his last career defeat.

Except back then, they usually let the starter finish the game instead of bringing in the closer.

OhU1
11/1/2010, 12:51 PM
That guy was unhittable. So was Matt Cain. Emo Phillips, a/k/a Tim Lichicum http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Y4VUX_Oe7Y0/SbQ_21q-x1I/AAAAAAAAAgc/gvEGT3uAQ48/s400/Emo+P.jpgpitches tonight and he is their ace though the Rangers hit him OK in game 1. I have to hand it to SF, they can pitch and play defense.

Ike
11/1/2010, 12:59 PM
Neither Lincecum or Lee pitched like themselves in game 1. I expect more out of both of them tonight.

I'm also curious to see if OCU's own Freddy Sanchez still has Lee's number tonight.

Ike
11/1/2010, 01:00 PM
reminds me of a young 20 year old Jim Palmer who shut out the Dodgers 6 - 0 in Game 2 of the World Series, '66 I believe. Handed Sandy Kofax his last career defeat.

Except back then, they usually let the starter finish the game instead of bringing in the closer.

He pitched a great game last night. Just unconscious.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 04:50 PM

i remember that series very well. worked in Burbank(Lockheed) & lived in Sherman Oaks. very bitter series for a longtime fan of Dodgers.

sseries of 63 (4 straight over Yanks ), lived & worked in Lancaster (North American) was much better. probably my all time favorite.

series of 65 was good, beat minesota twins in 7 games.

(i know, put a buncha dull stuff in here, just reminiscing)

GrapevineSooner
11/1/2010, 05:13 PM
He did.

But the Ranger bats and Mike Winters unpredictable strike zone might have helped.

Or hurt.

I dunno.

But I do know as a baseball fan, his performance behind the plate and Jeff Kellogg's at first are inexcusable.

But baseball doesn't need more replay. :rolleyes:

diegosooner
11/1/2010, 05:13 PM
i remember that series very well. worked in Burbank(Lockheed) & lived in Sherman Oaks. very bitter series for a longtime fan of Dodgers.

sseries of 63 (4 straight over Yanks ), lived & worked in Lancaster (North American) was much better. probably my all time favorite.

series of 65 was good, beat minesota twins in 7 games.

(i know, put a buncha dull stuff in here, just reminiscing)

...that 1965 World Series was one for the ages, with Koufax throwing a 4-hit shutout (complete game w/ 10K) in Game 5, and then with only two days rest started Game 7 and throwing another 10K complete game shutout!!

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 05:19 PM
...that 1965 World Series was one for the ages, with Koufax throwing a 4-hit shutout (complete game w/ 10K) in Game 5, and then with only two days rest started Game 7 and throwing another 10K complete game shutout!!

yep, & from what i vaguely remember, Koufax didn't have his best stuff in game 7. alston pitched him altho it was really drysdale's turn.

also noteworthy, K & D both lost their first starts.