PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Savings Time - For or Against?

Lott's Bandana
11/1/2010, 09:36 AM
Clocks back next weekend...

:pop:

Frozen Sooner
11/1/2010, 09:37 AM
Don't give a rat's *** one way or another.

saucysoonergal
11/1/2010, 09:37 AM
Springing forward sucks, but falling back is nice.

hipsterdoofus
11/1/2010, 09:38 AM
I wish they'd leave it the way it is now all year round.....who cares if it is dark in the morning...no one is awake anyway.

royalfan5
11/1/2010, 09:43 AM
I'm looking forward to some light again when I go to work.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 10:04 AM
I'm looking forward to some light again when I go to work.

i don't work anymore, but when i did (the last several years), it felt like i was late if the sun was up.

daylight savings is stupid. the sun will be up the same number of hours.

look @ farmers & ranchers, they don't care what time it is, they start work when the sun comes up & quit when it gets dark. don't need a clock.

soonerchk
11/1/2010, 10:08 AM

This. I'd really rather they quit jacking with the clock and just pick one time and stay there.

The
11/1/2010, 10:14 AM
I like to pretend I'm Time Traveling.

OhU1
11/1/2010, 10:32 AM
I'm for sunlight, against dark.

SoonerStormchaser
11/1/2010, 10:38 AM
Don't have to change the clocks where I'm currently at...which suits me just fine. Set em back an hour and ****ing KEEP THEM THAT WAY!

royalfan5
11/1/2010, 10:39 AM
i don't work anymore, but when i did (the last several years), it felt like i was late if the sun was up.

daylight savings is stupid. the sun will be up the same number of hours.

look @ farmers & ranchers, they don't care what time it is, they start work when the sun comes up & quit when it gets dark. don't need a clock.

This time of year most farmers are driving to the coffee shop to lie about their yields.

3rdgensooner
11/1/2010, 10:39 AM
I don't like it being dark when I leave work. But I don't think that can be avoided either way.

salth2o
11/1/2010, 10:40 AM
Would much rather have more daylight hours when I get home from work in the afternoons.

Lott's Bandana
11/1/2010, 10:42 AM
Salth2o,

At the risk of seeming ignorant, I saw a lot of t-shirts with your avvie last weekend. What does it mean?

Frozen Sooner
11/1/2010, 10:49 AM
I think it has something to do with the Rangers.

saucysoonergal
11/1/2010, 10:51 AM
hands without bats?

Mississippi Sooner
11/1/2010, 10:55 AM
I don't really care either way except for this time of year right before the change. I have to drive straight west on a winding little country road going home from work, and that sun can be brutal coming straight into the windshield. Makes for some interesting moments when I top a hill and some knucklehead is coming at me in the middle of the road.

After the time changes it'll be pretty much dark when I get off work, so it's no big deal. Well, except for the dozen or so deer that I have to dodge.

OUinFLA
11/1/2010, 11:03 AM
According to reports I have read, one of the benefits of DST is reduced crime during the summer months. Apparently, evening crime increases during warm weather as well as darkness. So, if it gets dark "later" in the clock day, apparently, the vandals are off the streets "earlier" in the evening.

Also, there is supposed to be some savings in electricity usage, due to less A/C being used if the "day" starts earlier in the morning.

Me? I wish they would just settle on one or the other and do away with it. It would be OK with me if they stayed on DST all year round. Im fishing at sunup anyway, I dont much care what time it is. And I turn my porch lights on at dark.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 11:19 AM
According to reports I have read, one of the benefits of DST is reduced crime during the summer months. Apparently, evening crime increases during warm weather as well as darkness. So, if it gets dark "later" in the clock day, apparently, the vandals are off the streets "earlier" in the evening.

Also, there is supposed to be some savings in electricity usage, due to less A/C being used if the "day" starts earlier in the morning.

Me? I wish they would just settle on one or the other and do away with it. It would be OK with me if they stayed on DST all year round. Im fishing at sunup anyway, I dont much care what time it is. And I turn my porch lights on at dark.

wil have to consult with my criminal friends to see which they prefer.

our thermostat is set the same round the clock, so it doesn't know what the clock says.

i'm with you, wish they would just leave it alone.

what makes the government think they can do anything right ???

Blue
11/1/2010, 11:25 AM
Hate it. Dark at 5 Oclock? It affects my work big time.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 11:31 AM
Hate it. Dark at 5 Oclock? It affects my work big time.

it gets dark @ the same time, no matter what the clock says. winter is standard time.

salth2o
11/1/2010, 11:31 AM
Salth2o,

At the risk of seeming ignorant, I saw a lot of t-shirts with your avvie last weekend. What does it mean?

The Claw and Antlers is something that the Texas Rangers have used all year as a rally/camaraderie type thing. The claw is like a long distance high five and is used to symbolize a good play. The antlers represent speed, "run like a deer" and is used when someone steals a base, etc.

@saucy...it definitely seemed like that in last nights game.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 11:40 AM
The Claw and Antlers is something that the Texas Rangers have used all year as a rally/camaraderie type thing. The claw is like a long distance high five and is used to symbolize a good play. The antlers represent speed, "run like a deer" and is used when someone steals a base, etc.

i live within about 10 miles of ranger park; & haven't heard of the (stupid) claw & antlers until very recently.

really not so stupid, they've made a fortune off c & a shirts & caps.

some folks will buy anything.

Blue
11/1/2010, 11:43 AM
it gets dark @ the same time, no matter what the clock says. winter is standard time.

So you're saying without Daylight savings, it would get dark at 5 anyway? and in the summer instead of getting dark at 9, it would get dark at 8?

Lott's Bandana
11/1/2010, 11:45 AM

Texans sure have a thing for hand signals.

salth2o
11/1/2010, 11:47 AM
i live within about 10 miles of ranger park; & haven't heard of the (stupid) claw & antlers until very recently.

really not so stupid, they've made a fortune off c & a shirts & caps.

I within about 225 miles of Ranger Ballpark and have seen them using it for several months. :rolleyes: Maybe you don't watch many games???

soonerbrat
11/1/2010, 11:50 AM
in the winter, it's dark when i go to work and dark when i go home, so i guess it doesn't matter, although i do have a hard time waking up in winter when it's really dark outside. and i don't go out at night in the winter very much anyway.

Ike
11/1/2010, 11:53 AM

I went to game 6 of the ALCS and saw a lot of that stuff...I thought that perhaps a majority of the fans were also Baylor fans...Definately one of the weirder baseball 'traditions' I've seen in a while...

Anyway, back to the O.P. I'm against it.

HBick
11/1/2010, 12:09 PM
all for it, was up this morning at 6 and went to run, so damn dark outside even until after 7 it makes it hard to (try and) be healthy.

yankee
11/1/2010, 12:36 PM
i get seasonal depression...so i hate setting the clocks back an hour cause i hate it being completely dark around 5 or 6 or whenever it is.

saucysoonergal
11/1/2010, 12:37 PM
i get seasonal depression...so i hate setting the clocks back an hour cause i hate it being completely dark around 5 or 6 or whenever it is.

Do you do light therapy?

soonerbrat
11/1/2010, 01:27 PM

I have that too....i have a "happy light" at work that I use for a couple hours each day in the winter, also, I try to get out and walk for 30 minutes or so at lunchtime, that seems to help. I'd rather have light in the morning because I have a really hard time waking up when it's dark like that.

The
11/1/2010, 01:28 PM
I have that too....i have a "happy light" at work that I use for a couple hours each day in the winter

Do you own an Enya CD, perchance?

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 01:29 PM
DLST is really hard on the Bar owners.

The
11/1/2010, 01:31 PM
DLST is really hard on the Bar owners.

Heh.. you said hard on....

soonerbrat
11/1/2010, 01:41 PM
Do you own an Enya CD, perchance?

i don't have any cd's

Scott D
11/1/2010, 04:27 PM
I grew up somewhere that it didn't exist. So the only way it affected me was what time I had to get up to watch college football on Saturday morning. Monday Night Football was on tape delay so didn't affect that at all.

Cornfed
11/1/2010, 04:29 PM

I like the extra hour of sleep, hate having to adjust my clock.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 04:33 PM
So you're saying without Daylight savings, it would get dark at 5 anyway? and in the summer instead of getting dark at 9, it would get dark at 8?

nope, not what i'm saying.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 04:35 PM
I within about 225 miles of Ranger Ballpark and have seen them using it for several months. :rolleyes: Maybe you don't watch many games???

i watch at least part of nearly every game.

texaspokieokie
11/1/2010, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Ike;3018583]I went to game 6 of the ALCS and saw a lot of that stuff...I thought that perhaps a majority of the fans were also Baylor fans...Definately one of the weirder baseball 'traditions' I've seen in a while...

yep, they're selling that stuff like crazy now. my niece across the street was wearing a shirt with claw on it, yesterday.

Blue
11/1/2010, 05:31 PM
nope, not what i'm saying.

Geeez. Explain then? Please.

If the clock says 5 and its dark, its worse than the clock saying 6. Thats what I'm saying.

Yes I know the time change does not affect when the sun sets. I know the sun doesn't stay stationary for all of us so we can get an extra hour of light in the morning.

OnlyOneOklahoma
11/1/2010, 05:54 PM
It'll be nice to start running on the river again without fear of getting mugged. I am going to have to buy a light for therapy this year.

SunnySooner
11/1/2010, 06:01 PM
I'm in the "find one and stick with it" camp, prolly the DST. I don't like getting up and getting kids ready in the dark, but when we lived in New England and it was pitch black at 4:15 in the afternoon, that was teh suc. The changing thing always screws all of us up. For some reason, we can travel all kinds of time zones and be fine on the trip, but the one-hour change at home takes all of us forever to adjust to. So I have to deal with cranky kids twice a year, which is even more teh suc. So yeah, just leave it. At this point, we're only using standard time for a few short months, might as well just keep DST all year.

Soonerfan88
11/1/2010, 09:54 PM
One of my biggest pet peeves. I don't care which, just pick one and stick with it. I think I'll just move to Arizona or Hawaii and not worry about it.

GottaHavePride
11/1/2010, 10:42 PM
Changing doesn't screw me up. It's like flying from here to New York (or Denver). Big freakin' whoop.

I'm in favor of the switch because I don't think I should have to get up before sunrise to make opera happen.

soonerbrat
11/2/2010, 07:45 AM
I'm in the "find one and stick with it" camp, prolly the DST. I don't like getting up and getting kids ready in the dark, but when we lived in New England and it was pitch black at 4:15 in the afternoon, that was teh suc. The changing thing always screws all of us up. For some reason, we can travel all kinds of time zones and be fine on the trip, but the one-hour change at home takes all of us forever to adjust to. So I have to deal with cranky kids twice a year, which is even more teh suc. So yeah, just leave it. At this point, we're only using standard time for a few short months, might as well just keep DST all year.

if you only have to deal with cranky kids twice a year, you are very lucky. very lucky indeed.

oklaclarinet
11/2/2010, 04:33 PM
I absolutely loathe Daylight Savings Time. There is not a need for it in our current society. I would love if they got rid of it.

As for the supposed energy savings, studies have actually shown that Daylight Savings Time costs us more in energy. I remember that information from the last time this came up a couple of years ago.