PDA

View Full Version : Is Texas really out of the rankings for awhile?

cleller
11/1/2010, 07:37 AM
Obviously things are bad in Austin for now, but all teams go through the ups and downs. The current public momentum seems to be locking Texas in the cellar for eternity.
With the talent and facilities available there, will things be put right? When?

Hard for me to imagine Mack calling it a career after a season like this, or Muschamp bailing when the going gets tough.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 08:01 AM
It kind of depends on how they finish out.
@KSU
OSU
FAU
A&M
They could easily lose 3/4 and finish the season 5-7.. Someone would be fired/retire, be it Mack or someone else. If they play like they did against Neb they could win 3/4 or 4/4 (unlikely). 8-4 would have the Texas fans talking about how this was Mack's amazing turnaround and how he's the best coach in America.
Is the sky falling? NO. They have a lot of young players (however, not much more than we do) but it seems theirs aren't ready for big time football. They will get better.

oumartin
11/1/2010, 08:09 AM
funny what a year later, losing your stud qb and wr can do for ya.

They'll be fine I think.

oudivesherpa
11/1/2010, 08:10 AM
I think Greg Davis (UT/OC) is gone, when reading the posts he gets most of the heat here in Texas.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 08:26 AM
Funny thing is..
Rice
Wyoming
@Texas Tech
UCLA
Oklahoma
@Nebraska
Iowa State
Baylor
@Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Florida Atlantic
Texas A&M

Look at that cupcake schedule. One tough road game, @ Nebraska. Wow. We would have a ticket to the NC right now with that schedule.

oumartin
11/1/2010, 09:07 AM
yeah right. we wouldn't beat NU at their place

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 09:11 AM

If THAT Texas can do it...

BigRedTradition
11/1/2010, 09:13 AM

You probably would have at the same Texas played us.... home woes, still breaking in Martinez, etc.

Still, I'm really hoping for OU vs. NU in the Big 12 Championship. As a die hard Husker fan, I always root for Oklahoma except when they play Nebraska....or when Nebraska needs them to lose per rankings.

Best of luck the rest of the year, OU, and hoping we both make it to the CCG. :)

kelloggOUballa
11/1/2010, 09:16 AM
Funny thing is..
Rice
Wyoming
@Texas Tech
UCLA
Oklahoma
@Nebraska
Iowa State
Baylor
@Kansas State
Oklahoma State
Florida Atlantic
Texas A&M

Look at that cupcake schedule. One tough road game, @ Nebraska. Wow. We would have a ticket to the NC right now with that schedule.

I don't know, that Oklahoma school in game No. 5 is pretty tough to beat...

Mad Dog Madsen
11/1/2010, 09:24 AM
I think they'll finish 6-6

sooneron
11/1/2010, 10:13 AM
7-5

Jacie
11/1/2010, 10:33 AM
The reason the whorn fans are so upset, beyond the 4-4 record that is, and filled with dread for the future (assuming some changes aren't made to the current coaching staff) is that they feel their program has been exposed as a fraud. They look at the success of the recent past as being due to the presence of some exceptional players, who even their mediocre coordinators could not screw up.

Now that the roster is heavy on younger players (their current juniors and seniors were backups at best before this year) the sa*et coaching staff appears lost, unable to figure out what is wrong with their schemes nor how to fix them if they did somehow get a clue. They are very good at blaming this player or that but other than putting what should be superior athletes at every position on the field, have no real plan for turning things around.

Finger pointing and blowing up at press conferences by the guys who are supposed to lead a group of kids does not inspire confidence in a fan base. Whorn fans look at the remaining 4 games and the best they can see is 1-3 coming.

badger
11/1/2010, 10:40 AM
The rankings really, really care about W-L records. All of the undefeateds are camping up top and with the exception of a few one-lossers (Pokes and Nevada), the two-lossers are behind the one-lossers.

With four losses, they are going to be out for at least another week, regardless of what they show on the field, just by virtue of their record.

The Big N up north must really, really be smarting from their sole loss right about now. Everyone else gets to beat Texas except them. Well, that's why you're leaving the conference, amirite? ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 10:45 AM
The reason the whorn fans are so upset, beyond the 4-4 record that is, and filled with dread for the future (assuming some changes aren't made to the current coaching staff) is that they feel their program has been exposed as a fraud. They look at the success of the recent past as being due to the presence of some exceptional players, who even their mediocre coordinators could not screw up.

Now that the roster is heavy on younger players (their current juniors and seniors were backups at best before this year) the sa*et coaching staff appears lost, unable to figure out what is wrong with their schemes nor how to fix them if they did somehow get a clue. They are very good at blaming this player or that but other than putting what should be superior athletes at every position on the field, have no real plan for turning things around.

Finger pointing and blowing up at press conferences by the guys who are supposed to lead a group of kids does not inspire confidence in a fan base. Whorn fans look at the remaining 4 games and the best they can see is 1-3 coming.

You can't really blame them. I know we complained a lot at times last year, but we were competitive for the entire season and only embarrassed ourselves in the Tech game.

BoulderSooner79
11/1/2010, 10:48 AM
They have had a pipeline of top rated recruiting classes for years and are currently rated #1 for the 2011 verbal commits. Shed no tear for the horns. If they just stay the course and develop these kids, they will bounce back quickly (we finished unranked last year). If the coaches panic from the pressure and change offenses or defense willy-nilly, they could prolong the pain by interrupting player development. Coaching upheaval could do it. There will always be a line of takers wanting coaching jobs there, but there are risks of choosing the wrong one. We can only hope these things come to pass ;)

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 11:00 AM
Gilbert is terrible. They can win with him but they will need a LOT of help (upgrades at RB and WR). Chris Sims syndrome, but worse.

Their Oline will not be any better next year. But on the bright side, they can't get much worse..

Malcolm Brown should help their offense, if he ends up there..

Their defense was seriously over hyped. Secondary is getting exposed. Defense is probably worse than ours. They should be better by next year.

PS our freshmen look a LIGHT YEARS ahead of theirs.
Kenny Stills vs Darius White
heck
Trey Franks vs Darius White

just for an example.

soonerboomer93
11/1/2010, 11:01 AM

They'll be fine I think.

I maintain that Shipley was a bigger loss then McCoy

soonerchk
11/1/2010, 11:02 AM

They'll be fine I think.

Funny, we lost our stud QB, stud TE, and most of our O line and our team still didn't lose at home.

SoonerNutt
11/1/2010, 11:10 AM
I think Greg Davis (UT/OC) is gone, when reading the posts he gets most of the heat here in Texas.

Will Mack throw Davis under the bus? He's close to retirement age, and he might just choose not to sell out his bud in exchange for couple more years at the helm. Who knows?

TahoeSOONER
11/1/2010, 11:13 AM
The BS is getting thick down there and now there comparing UT to last years OU team.

Looks like Blake Gidion is the only one with sense.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/longhorns-are-more-like-2009-oklahoma-less-2007-1011274.html

picasso
11/1/2010, 11:15 AM
Funny, we lost our stud QB, stud TE, and most of our O line and our team still didn't lose at home.

Don't tell Martin that. His mantra is that we suck.

Okie35
11/1/2010, 11:16 AM
Will Mack throw Davis under the bus? He's close to retirement age, and he might just choose not to sell out his bud in exchange for couple more years at the helm. Who knows?

Well he said he won't make any staff changes until the end of the year. I think Mack will retire before he ever got rid of Davis. I don't think they will do anything depending how they finish the season.

meoveryouxinfinity
11/1/2010, 11:21 AM
1 pt loss to 20. BYU without starting QB
1 pt loss at 17. Miami without starting QB, Broyles gets hurt
3 pt loss to 3. Texas
7 pt loss at Nebraska (was a lot closer)
embarrasing blowout loss at Tech

we still killed everyone at home and finished out the season beating 11. Ok State 27-0 and 19. Stanford 31-27

Texas won't come close to matching that.

Okie35
11/1/2010, 11:32 AM
1 pt loss to 20. BYU without starting QB
1 pt loss at 17. Miami without starting QB, Broyles gets hurt
3 pt loss to 3. Texas
7 pt loss at Nebraska (was a lot closer)
embarrasing blowout loss at Tech

we still killed everyone at home and finished out the season beating 11. Ok State 27-0 and 19. Stanford 31-27

Texas won't come close to matching that.

Our 8th ranked defense was a great part of that, *'s defense is full of talented underachievers.

Bourbon St Sooner
11/1/2010, 11:54 AM
The BS is getting thick down there and now there comparing UT to last years OU team.

Looks like Blake Gidion is the only one with sense.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/longhorns-are-more-like-2009-oklahoma-less-2007-1011274.html

Of course, if we would have played Rice and Fla Atlantic last year rather than Miami and BYU, we would have gone 10-3.

soonerchk
11/1/2010, 11:56 AM
Of course, if we would have played Rice and Fla Atlantic last year rather than Miami and BYU, we would have gone 10-3.

No we wouldn't because that would mean our staff was a bunch of big sissies who wanted to take the easy way out.

Okie35
11/1/2010, 11:58 AM
No we wouldn't because that would mean our staff was a bunch of big sissies who wanted to take the easy way out.

This... :cool:

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 12:07 PM

This.

Throwing assistants under the bus was the start, and I think they are beginning to circle the wagons.

Under normal circumstances I would say that Texas would lose maybe one or two more games. But the program is starting to eat itself. Mack, who is typically far better at maintaining composure, is starting to wear his emotions on his sleeves.

Muschamp is plain nuts and the Texas AD would do good to keep him from taking over if Mack resigns. Otherwise, you will end up with a similar situation as Ditka taking over New Orleans. Very entertaining, though.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 12:10 PM
tejas lost McCoy and hasn't played well. To see :mack: have the meltdown he has is embarrassing especially since they beat the huskers on the road. These thing can happen and probably the worst thing they can do is over react instead of taking one game at a time and wrapping up the Season. Searching for answers like they are doing right now is probably putting even more pressure on the players. I expect a Total Meltdown soon. We haven't seen the worst yet IMO.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 12:11 PM
From the Austin-Statesman:

The 2009 Sooners had to deal with the injury of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Sam Bradford, who played in three games but was, for all intents and purposes, lost for the season. They replaced Bradford with inexperienced backup Landry Jones.

This season, Texas has had to deal with the loss of Colt McCoy, who moved on to the NFL after becoming the all-time winningest quarterback in college football history. The Longhorns replaced him with Garrett Gilbert.

Bull****. It is much different to replace a QB midseason than in late January, especially since GG had big-game experience.

soonerchk
11/1/2010, 12:12 PM
tejas lost McCoy and hasn't played well. To see :mack: have the meltdown he has is embarrassing especially since they beat the huskers on the road. These thing can happen and probably the worst thing they can do is over react instead of taking one game at a time and wrapping up the Season. Searching for answers like they are doing right now is probably putting even more pressure on the players. I expect a Total Meltdown soon. We haven't seen the worst yet IMO.

Here's hoping!!:pop:

TahoeSOONER
11/1/2010, 12:14 PM

If this isn't the worst of it I'm really going to enjoy watching it.

These arrogant punchops deserve every bit of it.

Sooner_Tuf
11/1/2010, 12:44 PM
Makes you wonder just how many loses the Alabama beat down is going to end up giving the whorns.

Okie35
11/1/2010, 12:48 PM
From the Austin-Statesman:

Bull****. It is much different to replace a QB midseason than in late January, especially since GG had big-game experience.

Which is funny because thats all they talked about this preseason GG is a great QB and played well in the MNC. He'll keep the whorns back in the national title conversation blah blah blah. I don't even put that on him because he never said any of that. Their whole staff is very mediocre and they happen to have gotten good athletes that saved their jobs over the last decade.

ThinMan
11/1/2010, 01:29 PM
If they don't win @KSU they will probably not make a bowl game.

But they should win. Probably will win out and finish 8-5 after their bowl game. Texas and OU have lows, but even in their lows they can beat an OSU or Texas A&M.

ThinMan
11/1/2010, 01:31 PM
Which is funny because thats all they talked about this preseason GG is a great QB and played well in the MNC. He'll keep the whorns back in the national title conversation blah blah blah. I don't even put that on him because he never said any of that. Their whole staff is very mediocre and they happen to have gotten good athletes that saved their jobs over the last decade.

Just saw on another site that Gilbert has a 6/9 TD/INT ratio. He is being compared to Bomar in 2005.

soonerchk
11/1/2010, 01:34 PM
Just saw on another site that Gilbert has a 6/9 TD/INT ratio. He is being compared to Bomar in 2005.

SUWEET!! They'll be on probation next year!:texan:

soonercastor
11/1/2010, 02:05 PM
If they don't win @KSU they will probably not make a bowl game.

But they should win. Probably will win out and finish 8-5 after their bowl game. Texas and OU have lows, but even in their lows they can beat an OSU or Texas A&M.

LOL, you haven't been watching them, have you?

ThinMan
11/1/2010, 02:09 PM
LOL, you haven't been watching them, have you?

Maybe I am comparing them to us too much?

Despite where OSU and OU were last year I actually felt we should beat down OSU. Maybe I am just leaning on the name on the jersey and the talent that's been recruited too much?

Widescreen
11/1/2010, 02:22 PM
With four losses, they are going to be out for at least another week, regardless of what they show on the field, just by virtue of their record.

At least? If they win, they'll be 5-4. No way they'll jump back into the top 25 within 3 weeks. Right now, they are getting zero Top 25 votes from anyone - which makes me laugh since there were misguided fools giving them #1 votes earlier in the season when they were playing craptastic but still pulling out a win.

cleller
11/1/2010, 04:43 PM
I thought maybe last night Orson Welles would land in a spaceship and declare it all a hoax.

bluedogok
11/1/2010, 10:29 PM
I maintain that Shipley was a bigger loss then McCoy
Yep....

Well he said he won't make any staff changes until the end of the year. I think Mack will retire before he ever got rid of Davis. I don't think they will do anything depending how they finish the season.
Carl Reese was a long time Mack friend and came to Texas with him when Mack was hired. He was "retired" at age 60 after the 2003 season replaced by Dick Tomey and Greg Robinson....guess how old Greg Davis will be next year. Davis had two years at North Carolina and came with Mack to Texas, both Reese and Davis were assistants in prior Mack stops, he was hired as HC of Tulane when Mack moved to North Carolina.

Yes, they have a long relationship but he had one with Reese as well and sent him out to pasture when the heat became too great to deal with.

stoopified
11/1/2010, 10:36 PM
I don't really know.As far as what I want to happen,I am ambivilant,part of me wants UT to go into a OU style '90's funk.The problem is a weak UT is bad for OU becuse we need OUr big rival,especially with the departure of Corn Nation.