PDA

View Full Version : Ou defense in the Stoops years

cleller
11/1/2010, 07:00 AM
Somehow missed this article from Friday in the Tulsa World. Has a good box with the OU defense rankings in yards/points over the years.
Nothing you don't know, but the graphic is interesting to mull.
Its another sports sex tra story.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101030_92_B1_NRAfea480118

Whet
11/1/2010, 09:32 AM
mulling....

oumartin
11/1/2010, 09:47 AM
wow, we like to give up the yards since Mike left

SoonerShay
11/1/2010, 09:55 AM
A bit one sided there with the stats, how about some correlating offenses each defense had to face. I can promise without looking we have faced much better offenses in these latter years.

There should be some kind of inflation ratio like new movies have compared to old movies.

sooneron
11/1/2010, 10:03 AM
A bit one sided there with the stats, how about some correlating offenses each defense had to face. I can promise without looking we have faced much better offenses in these latter years.

There should be some kind of inflation ratio like new movies have compared to old movies.

I posted something like this last year. The average offense that we faced in recent years have been markedly higher than, say, 2001-03. The football world outside of the big teneleven and sec has gone to face paced offenses that move the ball a lot. They don't always score, but they get yards.

oumartin
11/1/2010, 10:11 AM
Bull crap. Mikes Defenses might give up a big game here and there due to the deep ball but you would never see any team line up and run the ball on OU like they do now.
There is a defensive coaching issue.

HBick
11/1/2010, 10:37 AM
I like how since Vulnerables took over, we are 22-18 on the road.

Just saying...

tooslow
11/1/2010, 10:53 AM

Just saying...

How is that bad? It's a winning record..... :pop: :rolleyes:
(sarcasm)

Okie35
11/1/2010, 11:22 AM
wow, we like to give up the yards since Mike left

Yea but its funny how last year we had one of our better defenses even when Mike was here. Last year our scoring defense was our 2nd best ever and yards per game was 3rd best ever (stats wise) under Bob. Anyway we all know games aren't played on paper.

Okie35
11/1/2010, 11:26 AM

Just saying...

How is that possible if under Bob the teams is 33-14 on the road? Unless counting you're all together (road, bowls, neutral) it would be 56-33. Its not a bad road record, 69% is a lot better than most coaches.

ThinMan
11/1/2010, 01:53 PM
Even a small probation will hurt in the age of parity.

Collier11
11/1/2010, 01:55 PM
Offenses in Big 12 are much better now

Collier11
11/1/2010, 01:57 PM
Also, especially in 08 but this year some as well, look at how fast our offense scores and how much the defense is on the field.

soonercastor
11/1/2010, 02:02 PM
Looks steady to me except 08, which obviously was due to our offense scoring a lot in no time. This year however, we just aren't playing well on defense; sure the offense has something to do with it like in 08 but we are scoring much less and it's hard to mask it.

HBick
11/1/2010, 06:50 PM
How is that possible if under Bob the teams is 33-14 on the road? Unless counting you're all together (road, bowls, neutral) it would be 56-33. Its not a bad road record, 69% is a lot better than most coaches.

Away from Norman then if you will. It is better, but you forget, it's Oklahoma and we are an irrational fan base :cool:

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 07:00 PM
Quite a shocker that a Team would do worse on the Road rather than when they had 80,000+ fans sitting on their hands at Home screaming F**K Y*U WILSON!

sooneron
11/1/2010, 09:30 PM

Just saying...

We have had 20 losses NOT at home since he left. Of those - 4 to texas, 3 NC games, 2 fiestas, and 1 to byu, which were all "neutral sites". Common knowledge is that the D that was rocked by ksu in 03 was totally ****ed up by Mike. BV put in a game plan and Mike came back from his interview at zona and changed it mid week. Chaos ensued. I confirmed that info from a defensive player that played on that team. So that loss will be attributed to both MS & BV. I guess you could blame Brent for the fiasco in Oregon which should be a win. I guess you could blame him for Reggie trying to field a punt on the 5 in Boulder. I guess it's the D's fault that the offense couldn't score a td in Lincoln last year. Should I bring up the refs in Lubbock? What about holding a team that was eventually in the national title game to 16 points last year? We couldn't score 17?
So in actuality, blaming a loss solely on the D can be silly.

In Mike's road losses (since that is what we are focusing upon & I'm counting neutral field because it somehow must figure into your "stat") the D gave up an average of 33 points.
In Brent's road losses - 33 POINTS.

Of Mike's 9 "road losses" - 5 of those teams ended up not being ranked at season's end.
Of BV's 20 - 3
So we lost 3 games ( on the road) to teams that we had no earthly business losing to under Venables.
And yes, if you look at the ncaa's stats, you will see more highly ranked teams, offensively, as the year's progressed.

Collier11
11/1/2010, 09:33 PM
We have had 20 losses NOT at home since he left. Of those - 4 to texas, 3 NC games, 2 fiestas, and 1 to byu, which were all "neutral sites". Common knowledge is that the D that was rocked by ksu in 03 was totally ****ed up by Mike. BV put in a game plan and Mike came back from his interview at zona and changed it mid week. Chaos ensued. I confirmed that info from a defensive player that played on that team. So that loss will be attributed to both MS & BV. I guess you could blame Brent for the fiasco in Oregon which should be a win. I guess you could blame him for Reggie trying to field a punt on the 5 in Boulder. I guess it's the D's fault that the offense couldn't score a td in Lincoln last year. Should I bring up the refs in Lubbock? What about holding a team that was eventually in the national title game to 16 points last year? We couldn't score 17?
So in actuality, blaming a loss solely on the D can be silly.

In Mike's road losses (since that is what we are focusing upon & I'm counting neutral field because it somehow must figure into your "stat") the D gave up an average of 33 points.
In Brent's road losses - 33 POINTS.

Of Mike's 9 "road losses" - 5 of those teams ended up not being ranked at season's end.
Of BV's 20 - 3
So we lost 3 games ( on the road) to teams that we had no earthly business losing to under Venables.
And yes, if you look at the ncaa's stats, you will see more highly ranked teams, offensively, as the year's progressed.

Facts and Logic, we cant have that here

SicEmBaylor
11/1/2010, 09:34 PM
Its another sports sex...

I'm intrigued by this "sports sex." :D

cleller
11/2/2010, 08:10 AM
I've missed Mike as much as anyone since he left, but I gotta admit having the offense operating at such a fast pace has got to put pressure on the D.

On the flip side, I remember a reporter asking Stoops something along these lines, but he would not bite. He said something along the lines of if the defense is tired and wants off the field, they should make a play, force a punt.

OUmillenium
11/2/2010, 09:04 AM
Also, especially in 08 but this year some as well, look at how fast our offense scores and how much the defense is on the field.

That was definitely a factor in 08 regarding defensive stats.

45 points by UTerus

41? points by lOSUr

sooneron
11/2/2010, 09:38 AM
You also have to remember with many of the scores in the good offensive seasons, there were some late scores by the other team when it was already in hand. This does apply to MS as well as, BV, but it seems like we had more blowouts after Mangino and Long. Not to mention, our kickoff / punting game has gone to crap (altho punting is better this year). How many returns have we given up for scores? I can count 5 in the last 5-6 years Is Bob still in charge of STs?

Scott D
11/2/2010, 11:51 AM
I think that comparing the defense by the numbers is silly.

1. offenses were slightly different (and with some schools less talented) than they are now.
2. the bodies of work aren't of matching length anymore.
3. stats can lie as they include certain numbers that shouldn't be as attributable to the overall picture while omitting others that probably should be.

sooneron
11/2/2010, 11:53 AM
This ^ too.

soonerborn30
11/2/2010, 11:56 AM
I think people remember us getting blown out in certain bowl games and run with it. It's hard not to.