PDA

View Full Version : How is this not an NCAA rules violation?

Jacie
11/1/2010, 06:26 AM
There is a rule about the number of coaches a team is allowed. Bringing back a former coach to "consult" seems like they crossed that line.

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/10/31/dick-tomey-hired-as-outside-consultant/#more-24201

Dick Tomey Hired As Outside Consultant

The former Longhorn Assistant Head Coach and head man at Arizona and San Jose State is now in the employ of the University of Texas. Sources close to the program tell us he’s been hired to evaluate the program top to bottom from strength and conditioning to concepts on both sides of the ball. Additionally, the grizzled veteran coach should be able to address the the Longhorns’ puported lack of discipline off the field magnified by Cleve Bryant’s indiscretion.

If you were born after 1980, I’m talking about 6th street, holla!

Tomey was seen on the sidelines of the Baylor game, so he should be able to hit the ground running in his new role. I mean that was Baylor. Baylor? Yes, Baylor.

In case you’ve forgotten Tomey, along with Greg Robinson, was the main catalyst in the program’s resurgent toughness in the early 2000′s after the Longhorn brand was tagged with the soft label. As a curmudgeon, Tomey tests off the charts, so he should be able to give Mack Brown the straight **** without fear of repurcussion. That’s good for a program that needs to ask tough questions before it seeks any sort of answers.

Regardless, it’s different than the status quo, so that in itself has got to be good.

yermom
11/1/2010, 07:02 AM
yeah, if we can't just hire a kicking coach...

cleller
11/1/2010, 07:11 AM
Sounds like he's being hired by the University as a consultant, etc, rather than onto the coaching staff. Probably does not interact with the players.
They surely ran it through the CYA channels before acting.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 11:34 AM
I think the story is a hoax. From what is posted on HF, he was only visiting and has not been hired by the university.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:44 AM
Even if it's a violation...it's probably worth getting Probation as it looks like it's over for tejas unless someone can save them. Even though I hate tejas....we still need for them to field a team for the Fair deal every October.

DO IT FOR THE CORNY DOGS ! ! !

OUTrumpet
11/1/2010, 11:52 AM
http://hippiekiller.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/bobs.jpg

Good luck with those layoffs, *

goingoneight
11/1/2010, 11:56 AM
Hmm... what he's being hired for seems an awful lot like the head coach's job. Overseeing strength and conditioning, the X's and O's philosophy, team discipline, etc. Anyone else think so? Seems like that's on the five million dollar hungry hippos man.

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 11:58 AM
Definitely doesn't seem to be there for Jenga lessons. :D

batonrougesooner
11/1/2010, 11:59 AM
If this is true this is essentially a vote of no confidence by administration towards the current head coach.

They're having a down year. The program isn't falling apart.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 12:02 PM
Hmm... what he's being hired for seems an awful lot like the head coach's job. Overseeing strength and conditioning, the X's and O's philosophy, team discipline, etc. Anyone else think so? Seems like that's on the five million dollar hungry hippos man.

Again, I don't think the story is true, but you have a point. Independent consultants can provide valuable information, but to come in and perform the duties of someone else is a bit much. Why not just hire Dick Tomey has head coach?

royalfan5
11/1/2010, 12:03 PM
If this is true this is essentially a vote of no confidence by administration towards the current head coach.

They're having a down year. The program isn't falling apart.

I don't know if I would go that far. Mack and Tomey go way back. He probably just wants an additional sounding board. As long as he doesn't recruit or interact with the players, I don't think the NCAA cares.

prrriiide
11/1/2010, 12:49 PM
As long as he isn't engaging in traditional coaching activities, (film study, athlete contact, etc.), then it isn't IIRC.

ThinMan
11/1/2010, 01:48 PM
Sounds like he's being hired by the University as a consultant, etc, rather than onto the coaching staff. Probably does not interact with the players.
They surely ran it through the CYA channels before acting.

Seems like USC got singed for this.

Scott D
11/1/2010, 02:44 PM
that's funny, I thought it was the hiring of Gene Chizik that made the difference in the defensive turnaround (allegedly) in the early 2000s

bent rider
11/1/2010, 04:40 PM
At this point they should hire Matt Foley as a consultant. He's living in a van down by the Colorado River.

bluedogok
11/1/2010, 10:16 PM
that's funny, I thought it was the hiring of Gene Chizik that made the difference in the defensive turnaround (allegedly) in the early 2000s
Chizik was the replacement for Tomey and Robinson when Robinson headed off to the HC job at Syracuse (with Applewhite in tow) and Tomey went to San Jose State. The ironic thing is Tomey was booted out of the Arizona job for Mackovic.

prrriiide
11/1/2010, 10:23 PM
It's OK as long as:

11.7.1.1.1.4 Use of Outside Consultants.
An institution may use or arrange for a temporary consultant to provide in service training for the coaching staff, but no interaction with student athletes is permitted unless the individual is counted against the applicable coaching limits. An outside consultant may not be involved in any on- or off field or on- or off-court coaching activities (e.g., attending practices and meetings involving coaching activities, formulating game plans, analyzing video involving the institution’s or opponent’s team) without counting the consultant in the coaching limitations in that sport. (Adopted: 1/10/92, Revised: 3/10/04)

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D111.pdf

CatfishSooner
11/1/2010, 10:24 PM
At this point they should hire Matt Foley as a consultant. He's living in a van down by the Colorado River.

:texan: :texan: :texan: :texan: :D :D :D :D :D :D