PDA

View Full Version : New Bats for 2011 Season

Ardmore_Sooner
10/31/2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/news/2010/2610722.html

Not sure how I feel about this. Discuss.

Collier11
11/1/2010, 12:13 AM
Well, since colleges cant afford to provide wooden bats and it is obvious that safety in sports is paramount these days, Id say its a necessary evil. I mean, is it really that bad of a deal if college baseball becomes more of a pitchers sport?

rysooner
11/1/2010, 10:36 AM
Have to see how it plays out this year, but I think it will change the game.

For the true baseball fan, who appreciates pitching and defense, I'm not sure it will be bad thing. However, for the casual college fan who likes the 12-10 games, the change in the long ball may make a difference in attendance numbers. After watching the red/white series game Saturday, I do know one thing - they [I]really[I] have a different sound to them. You will know it the first time you see a ball hit with the new bats.

bufsa
11/1/2010, 11:13 AM
Since the college baseball was adjusted because of the metal bats are they going to change the ball? The seams on a college ball are bigger than the pro's to allow it to break and move more to help counter the bat. So with a deader bat should they go to the pro ball?

Collier11
11/1/2010, 11:19 AM
ive never heard of a bigger ball unless you are talking about the core?

bufsa
11/1/2010, 11:25 AM
No, the thread on the seams sticks up a little more than on the pro ball. This makes it easier for the pitcher to get movement. The good thing about the pro ball is the pitcher usualy picks up a little speed on his fastball.

Ardmore_Sooner
11/1/2010, 09:26 PM
It's gotta suck for teams like Texas who already have no offense.

setem
11/1/2010, 09:49 PM
We are being forced to use them at the high school level. I would like to get some in my guys hands ASAP so they can get the feel of them. I could care less what they swing at the college level but this will cut down on HS kids dominating mediocre to good pitching. There was a kid this year who played legion ball for 3 Rivers who hit almost 30 home runs in a 2 month period. I wanna see him do that with these new bats. I think it will take away from the college game but at my level it will level the playing field a little bit.

Collier11
11/1/2010, 09:52 PM
If it cuts out the ridiculous flick of the wrist homeruns then so be it, the playing field should be level, then the real talent comes out...this will probably also help college coaches and scouts know who the real talent is

StoopTroup
11/1/2010, 09:55 PM
I've always hated hearing the tink of the bat. Wood is where it's at!

Awesome!

Collier11
11/1/2010, 09:59 PM
Wood is where it's at!

Awesome!

too easy :D

Ardmore_Sooner
11/1/2010, 11:24 PM
Dang I love the PING sound.

bufsa
11/1/2010, 11:50 PM
I remember several times last year our pitchers make a good pitch, fool the batter and have them pop it up to the oposite field and have it carry for a home run. If it stops that I am all for it.

Ike
11/9/2010, 02:12 PM
Since the college baseball was adjusted because of the metal bats are they going to change the ball? The seams on a college ball are bigger than the pro's to allow it to break and move more to help counter the bat. So with a deader bat should they go to the pro ball?

The increased movement on the college ball is kind of a small effect...It's there, but it's not huge.

The larger effect of the college ball is an increase in drag. The MLB ball flies a lot farther than the college ball.

setem
11/12/2010, 08:50 PM
We still need to get some of these so my guys can get used to them!

CowboyMRW
11/14/2010, 11:35 PM
This will probably stop some injuries as the ball won't come off the bat as hard now. Does anyone remember the Vanderbilt? pitcher that got his kneeccap shattered but still made the out

starclassic tama
11/17/2010, 01:56 AM
i just don't get it. why take aluminum bats and modify them to perform more like wooden bats? just move college baseball to wooden bats?

Collier11
11/17/2010, 02:01 AM
too expensive

bufsa
11/17/2010, 06:00 PM
Too dangerous as well. Look how many have been injured this year alone, fans and players. Look for the pros to eventualy go to new bats if they can get them to perform like wood. Players are stronger and handles are thinner than they were in the past leading to more bats breaking. Don't even mention maple. Have one multi million dollar player like Lincecum get injured by bat shards and you will see a change quick.