PDA

View Full Version : 32-46, 453 yds, 4 tds...

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2010, 09:57 AM
...in 3 quarters.

:pop:

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 09:58 AM
He sucks :rolleyes:
what was he doing in those incompletions?

VA Sooner
10/31/2010, 09:58 AM
Just a few yards shy of Bradford's record... damn good game, Landry.

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 10:04 AM
oh btw him and Allen combined to beat that Sammy record. They should have let him break it, but not a big deal at all....plenty of more opportunities.

SoonerBacker
10/31/2010, 10:06 AM
Couldn't let him break Bradford's record! After all..."Landry Jones is not the future..." :rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2010, 10:10 AM
I just wish Owen Field was portable.

oumartin
10/31/2010, 10:12 AM
I just think if they prepared better playing on the road wouldn't matter

PalmBeachSooner
10/31/2010, 10:15 AM

^^ This ^^ at least for this season.

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 10:16 AM
the difference between our game on the road and our game at home is just insane. I see all these other teams going on the road and completely dominating their opponents. We need to figure that out in our remaining road games, so we don't have this concern going into next year.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 10:23 AM
I just think if they prepared better playing on the road wouldn't matter

LMFAO...your attempts are getting quite old martin.

:gary:

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 10:26 AM
the difference between our game on the road and our game at home is just insane. I see all these other teams going on the road and completely dominating their opponents. We need to figure that out in our remaining road games, so we don't have this concern going into next year.

You mean like Alabama was able to do against USCe, and how Ohio State was able to do against Wisconsin?

Or are you talking about how Missouri beat..err. lost to Nebraska? Or Michigan State lost to Iowa on the road?

Opps.

Looks like OU is not the only team that struggles on the road. Hell, even Oregon struggled until that last INT by Barkley last night. Same can be said of Utah, they struggled on the road as well.

But it's just an OU thing! :rolleyes:

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2010, 10:26 AM
I sit on the Boomer (east) side and really don't hear the band. Then when I get home, I turn on the DVR'd broadcast and listen to the band play something after each and every play.

It actually drives me crazy.

I can imagine what it does to the opposition, not that this changes anything on the field, its just really obvious to me when watching the playback.

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 10:32 AM
You mean like Alabama was able to do against USCe, and how Ohio State was able to do against Wisconsin?

Or are you talking about how Missouri beat..err. lost to Nebraska? Or Michigan State lost to Iowa on the road?

Opps.

Looks like OU is not the only team that struggles on the road. Hell, even Oregon struggled until that last INT by Barkley last night. Same can be said of Utah, they struggled on the road as well.

But it's just an OU thing! :rolleyes:

LOL you put Michigan State and Missouri in this list? Anyway, I don't want to argue about this, its CLEAR we are a different team on the road. Check out some of other Alabama and Ohio St road games this year and tell me.

We are a different team on the road, if we don't figure it out this year then this "next year" people keep talking about will also die...on the road.

Collier11
10/31/2010, 10:44 AM

Who?

oumartin
10/31/2010, 11:03 AM
LMFAO...your attempts are getting quite old martin.

:gary:
I
Hope u enjoy losing 2 to 3 games a year. I don't care how u feel about me. It's the truth

Collier11
10/31/2010, 11:07 AM
9 out of 12 years Stoops has won 11 or more games

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 11:09 AM
LOL you put Michigan State and Missouri in this list? Anyway, I don't want to argue about this, its CLEAR we are a different team on the road. Check out some of other Alabama and Ohio St road games this year and tell me.

We are a different team on the road, if we don't figure it out this year then this "next year" people keep talking about will also die...on the road.

Well, you cannot say they are bad teams overall. Just stunk it up on the road, worse than we have this seson actually.

We made some mistakes. They both just got dominated on the road.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 11:13 AM
I
Hope u enjoy losing 2 to 3 games a year. I don't care how u feel about me. It's the truth

11 full seasons: 117-29-0 for Stoops.

That comes out to be almost 11 games a season he wins for us!

Ill take that over a 6+ loss season any day!

But go about your acting like this team is pure suckage or that our coaching staff is pure suckage because we lose on average 2.64 games a season.

Tell you what Martin, Ill agree with you that our team and coaches suck if you can point out to me a better coach or program the last 11+ seasons.

Collier11
10/31/2010, 11:16 AM
124-30 is his updated record

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 11:17 AM
124-30 is his updated record

That includes 8 games into this season... :)

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 11:21 AM
Well, you cannot say they are bad teams overall. Just stunk it up on the road, worse than we have this seson actually.

We made some mistakes. They both just got dominated on the road.

Well that's the thing, I'm not talking about last game. I'm talking about our performance (not result) on the road since last year. Our GREAT home record supports that, I haven't been worried for a home game in years, even last year;
we need to freaking own our opponent on their field, and aTm couldn't have come at a better time.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 11:30 AM
Well that's the thing, I'm not talking about last game. I'm talking about our performance (not result) on the road since last year. Our GREAT home record supports that, I haven't been worried for a home game in years, even last year;
we need to freaking own our opponent on their field, and aTm couldn't have come at a better time.

I got to ask. Ever travel to an opposing teams field and watch an OU game?

Have you actually been a player in that situation (excluding high school)?

I am telling you, the lag you get from traveling only is part of it. But a new type of field that you are not used to. Unappreciated opposing fans that are wanting your head on a stick. Refs will be more lienant on most home teams. Hell, even the geography and weather can play a part on the road.

On the road you are not comfortable with the field or turf because you do not play on it all the time.

Yes, we should be able to play the way we do at home on the road. But there is a totally different atmosphere on the road than at home.

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 11:44 AM
lol I'm not expecting us to be lights out on the road every week. But right now we can say the difference is Day and Night; I would be cool with Day and Evening.

Collier11
10/31/2010, 12:48 PM
Stoops has about a 65% winning percentage on the road/neutral site, one of the best in the nation

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 12:52 PM
Stoops has about a 65% winning percentage on the road/neutral site, one of the best in the nation

I was referring to the past couple years. Last year was a weird year and thought it wouldn't become a trend this year, but it has.

StoopTroup
10/31/2010, 12:54 PM
Thank goodness it didn't rain....

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 01:09 PM
I was referring to the past couple years. Last year was a weird year and thought it wouldn't become a trend this year, but it has.

How is 2-1 away from Norman the same as 2-5?

Collier11
10/31/2010, 01:24 PM

Last year there were obvious hindrances to the success of the team and despite that we only lost by 1,1,3, and 7 pts on the road against good teams before we had the TT debacle.

josh09
10/31/2010, 01:27 PM
I STILL WANT BLAKE BELL!!! :D

btb916
10/31/2010, 01:51 PM
I criticized Landry last week for his sub-par performance, and I have no problem complimenting him on an excellent game last night. Good game Landry.

But my overall opinion of him hasn't changed. I don't see why it should. We played an inferior team at home and he has shown time and again that he can absolutely eat these teams alive. He is really good at home.

He still has significant problems in difficult situations, though, and he never faced a difficult situation last night, as we were comfortably ahead in the second quarter. So...compliments on another great night, and here's to hoping he plays similarly on the road next saturday.

picasso
10/31/2010, 01:53 PM
To be fair. Play calling can help him.

Like not calling a TE screen on the road after marching down the field to the red zone.

Collier11
10/31/2010, 01:55 PM
I think the problem which has been repeated over and over again but some people fail to acknowledge it is that Landry is following perhaps the Greatest QB in OU history. Sure Landry has shortcomings but he also is only a soph.

Bradford raised the bar so high that it makes some of you feel like Landry isnt that great but when you look at his #s, he is easily one of the best in the country

Collier11
10/31/2010, 01:55 PM
To be fair. Play calling can help him.

Like not calling a TE screen on the road after marching down the field to the red zone.

another good point, the play-calling lastnight was as good as it has been all year.

Leroy Lizard
10/31/2010, 02:03 PM
another good point, the play-calling lastnight was as good as it has been all year.

I don't see much difference in the playcalling between last night and the week before.

When a play doesn't work, it looks like a bad call.

If anything, I think Landry may be disregarding the pass over the middle in the fourth quarter because he's afraid of a late-game INT. So instead of throwing the pass called for by KW, he's dumping the ball off to the RB.

Not sure I'm right, but it would explain a lot. It makes the playcalling look overly conservative and gives the impression that the team is playing not to lose.

If this is really the problem, then the cure is simple: Throw the damn pass downfield, even if the coverage is tight. I would rather get it picked off than go 3-and-out.

But, that's just the opinion of an armchair QB. It all looks easy when viewed from the living room.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 02:12 PM
I don't see much difference in the playcalling between last night and the week before.

That is because you really can't tell what plays they are calling.

On OUr first two drives, Colorado cut off the bubble screens and flares. They cut off the short routes inside the redzone.

Last week, we never did anything to change the DBs cheating on those routes (even though Missouri's defense is way better than Colorado's).

Against Colorado, we saw more pump fakes to those routes, and then our receivers blowing past the DBs on those pumps and getting the ball downfield.

It was kind of like watching play action passes, but with Jones doing more pump fakes to release the WRs and TEs than faking a hand off to the RB.

This made their defense loosen up on their coverage. When we did run the short passes, the screen, and flares, the defense was off the receiver giving our play makers the chance to make moes and break open field tackles.

We do that against Missouri, things may have turned out differently.

SoonerBacker
10/31/2010, 02:16 PM
I criticized Landry last week for his sub-par performance, and I have no problem complimenting him on an excellent game last night. Good game Landry.

But my overall opinion of him hasn't changed. I don't see why it should. We played an inferior team at home and he has shown time and again that he can absolutely eat these teams alive. He is really good at home.

He still has significant problems in difficult situations, though, and he never faced a difficult situation last night, as we were comfortably ahead in the second quarter. So...compliments on another great night, and here's to hoping he plays similarly on the road next saturday.

And perhaps the reason he didn't face a difficult situation last night was because he got great protection from the O-line (which he didn't against Mizzou)? Let's face it! The problem isn't ALWAYS the QB!

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 02:19 PM
And perhaps the reason he didn't face a difficult situation last night was because he got great protection from the O-line (which he didn't against Mizzou)? Let's face it! The problem isn't ALWAYS the QB!

Nor is it ALWAYS the OLINE.

CrimsonJim
10/31/2010, 02:22 PM

But it was the O-line against Mizzou. Landry didn't have time to blink back there, let alone go through his reads...hell, he didn't have time to find his first receiver at times.

Fiatil
10/31/2010, 02:26 PM
I distinctly remember a drive last night where Landry actually pump faked a check down throw to murray in the flat, progressed his reads and threw a bomb down field for a touchdown. It was probably the happiest moment I've had watching us play in the past few weeks. If he had done that once or twice against mizzou instead of throwing the same predictable pass in the same spot every time we'd have been golden. Keep progressing Landry!

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 02:26 PM
But it was the O-line against Mizzou. Landry didn't have time to blink back there, let alone go through his reads...hell, he didn't have time to find his first receiver at times.

I never said it wasn't the Oline's fault. It wasn't the Olin'e fault for the first INT he threw.

his entire team has some more growing up to do...and I am excited for the rest of the season, and definitely for 2011.

OU_Sooners75
10/31/2010, 02:27 PM
I distinctly remember a drive last night where Landry actually pump faked a check down throw to murray in the flat, progressed his reads and threw a bomb down field for a touchdown. It was probably the happiest moment I've had watching us play in the past few weeks. If he had done that once or twice against mizzou instead of throwing the same predictable pass in the same spot every time we'd have been golden. Keep progressing Landry!

That happened more than once last night.

CrimsonJim
10/31/2010, 02:31 PM
It was a beautiful thing to behold. Give Landry time to do his job back there and he can shred a defense.

SoonerBacker
10/31/2010, 02:33 PM

I agree. I just get sick of the ones that constantly try to blame the QB. He has made mistakes, but I do not think he is solely to blame for the loss at Mizzou - or any other loss since he has been at the QB spot. There are some who have expressed a desire to bench him. That sentiment is not deserved, imo!

Collier11
10/31/2010, 02:49 PM
Those who believe Landry should be benched are those who let passion supersede common sense.

soonercastor
10/31/2010, 06:17 PM

We ran this "fake to the flat" play against Mizzou, and Stills caught the pass.

CrimsonJim
10/31/2010, 06:40 PM
Those who believe Landry should be benched are those who let passion supersede common sense.

Is that your PC way of saying they don't know what the **** they are talking about? ;)

Collier11
10/31/2010, 09:35 PM
pretty much

Iam4OUru
10/31/2010, 10:29 PM

I wish Colorado and Iowa Lite were "portable".

Leroy Lizard
10/31/2010, 11:19 PM
That is because you really can't tell what plays they are calling.

That pretty much goes for all of us.