PDA

View Full Version : Need opinons of Mickey Mantle Steakhouse??

OU-HSV
10/31/2010, 02:00 AM
http://www.mickeymantlesteakhouse.com/

Hey guys and gals. I've been to Bricktown several times before but I've yet to eat at Mickey Mantle Steakhouse. A group of us are staying in OKC for the OU vs. Tx Tech game weekend and we're talking about eating there probably on Friday night since we'll be going to the game Saturday.

It looks to be fairly expensive so I thought I'd check with you all and be sure the food quality and experience is worth it before I drop that kind of money at a restaurant.
So please hit me with your thoughts and/or experiences of the restaurant, menu recommendations, etc. etc.
Thanks!

Soonerus
10/31/2010, 02:03 AM
Worth the money...

OU-HSV
10/31/2010, 07:50 AM
Another thing I meant to ask is are there any other good steak restaurants in Bricktown that don't cost an arm and a leg? Seems like every time I'm in Bricktown I'm either eating mexican food or just at the bars. I ate at Toby Keith's before, but think I just had a burger. I think I recall seeing steak on their menu though, I wonder if it's good.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2010, 08:52 AM
I personally didn't enjoy mickey mantle's because I spent quite a bit of money and left there starving...the food was good but it wasn't enough

Lott's Bandana
10/31/2010, 09:48 AM
Overpriced traditional al a carte steakhouse

TheBobbyTrain
10/31/2010, 10:12 AM
Drive down the road to Cattlemen's.

Boarder
10/31/2010, 10:41 AM
Then turn around before actually going in Cattlemans and go back to Mickey Mantle. MM is delicious, especially the filet with maytag topping. But yes, it is expensive. Theres another steakhouse in OKC called The Ranch that I think is a little better, but it's very expensive, too.

Cattlemans is awful and I can't, for the life of me, understand why it is so popular, other than it has been around for a million years and is located in the stockyards.

Boomer.....
10/31/2010, 02:24 PM
If you are going to spend the money, check out Red Prime. It is just north of downtown.

StoopTroup
10/31/2010, 02:25 PM
I would have tried it but every time I drop in to eat....they tell me he's not there.

Zbird
10/31/2010, 02:29 PM
decent food - overpriced -

stoops the eternal pimp
10/31/2010, 02:33 PM
Then turn around before actually going in Cattlemans and go back to Mickey Mantle. MM is delicious, especially the filet with maytag topping. But yes, it is expensive. Theres another steakhouse in OKC called The Ranch that I think is a little better, but it's very expensive, too.

Cattlemans is awful and I can't, for the life of me, understand why it is so popular, other than it has been around for a million years and is located in the stockyards.

Boarder,

I like your car.. I only drove it 15 feet though..

Your music choice is allsome also

TheBobbyTrain
10/31/2010, 02:35 PM

agree to disagree. the MM steak i had sucked plus $73 for two people and below average service really sucked. on top of that it's too uppity for me.

i don't know what your beef is with cattlemen's- but steak for steak, dollar to dollar cattlemen's is a much better deal. the trick there is ordering your steak more rare than what you really want.

soonerbub
10/31/2010, 02:39 PM
For a one time meal I'd go to Micks vs redprime

soonerbub
10/31/2010, 02:40 PM
Re Cattlemens the breakfast is totally underrated
best cheap breakfast in the city

bluedogok
10/31/2010, 03:52 PM
I would say MM...but then I might be biased. The JDM Place building was my project and I had much coordination work with the restaurant architects for Mickey Mantle/Stumpy's (now closed).
So I can claim a little of the design of the MM space :D

I like Cattlemen's as well but to me they are two completely different type of steak places, not a very good comparison. Like comparing Golden Corral to Logan's/Santa Fe (or similar).

Partial Qualifier
11/1/2010, 09:35 AM
Other "high end" local steakhouses not mentioned:

Mahogany
Michael's
Boulevard
Coach House

SoonerNate
11/1/2010, 09:40 AM
You can't go to OKC and have a steak and not go to Cattleman's. There's a reason President Bush ate their once. It's the best.

Ton Loc
11/1/2010, 10:14 AM
Cattleman's continues to get a pass on their edible to average steaks. People that come from out of town always want to go there. When they get back they give me the polite "It was good" comment.

Sort of like the "she's got a nice personality" comment when you ask about a woman's looks before the blind date.

Partial Qualifier
11/1/2010, 10:21 AM
You can't go to OKC and have a steak and not go to Cattleman's. There's a reason President Bush ate their once.

He needed a laxative?

Places like Cattleman's and Cimarron Steakhouse serve their purpose, but I wouldn't send an out-of-towner there for a meal, unless of course he was a Longhorn fan.

stoops the eternal pimp
11/1/2010, 10:50 AM
mmmmmhmmm..Boulevard....Bring your wallet though...and somebody else's

XingTheRubicon
11/1/2010, 05:25 PM
If you don't like Cattlemen's Blue Ribbon Ribeye, then you have absolutely zero idea what good steak is.

from Bob's steak and chop house in Dallas, Ringside in Portland and whatever that one on the lake in Seattle was...daniels? Cattlemen's BRR is the best bite of steak I've had.

SunnySooner
11/1/2010, 05:34 PM
Anyone remember Indian Hills Steakhouse, it was on the I-35 frontage road just north of Norman--is it still there? Didn't look last time I was home, they used to have some allsome prime rib, and the Indian fry bread was worth the calories you'd have to burn off with an extra 6 hours on the treadmill. OMG, melt in your mouth, yuuuuummmyyyy.

sooner59
11/1/2010, 08:02 PM
Had the Ribeye (medium-rare) at Cheever's Cafe. It rivaled the best steaks I have ever eaten. Cattlemen's has been good the 3 times I have gone. Boulevard is good, but for the price I paid, I thought my steak was just average. I had a good steak at Toby Keith's once. Haven't tried Red Prime but have heard good things. No clue about MM.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 08:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll pass on your opinions and we'll see what everyone decides. I'll have an update after the trip.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 08:04 PM
Anyone remember Indian Hills Steakhouse, it was on the I-35 frontage road just north of Norman--is it still there? Didn't look last time I was home, they used to have some allsome prime rib, and the Indian fry bread was worth the calories you'd have to burn off with an extra 6 hours on the treadmill. OMG, melt in your mouth, yuuuuummmyyyy.

I've always seen that when I drive in for games, I never stopped and tried it though. Always wondered if it was good. Seems like the last home game I went to I noticed it was closed, unless I was looking at the wrong building.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 08:07 PM
mmmmmhmmm..Boulevard....Bring your wallet though...and somebody else's
Is this an offer for me to borrow your wallet??:D

sooner59
11/1/2010, 08:08 PM
Is this an offer for me to borrow your wallet??:D

The only thing in his wallet is a condom from 1992.

GKeeper316
11/1/2010, 08:31 PM
i honestly think kona ranch is the best steak in okc... if its still open. i havnt been to south meridian in quite a while.

OUthunder
11/1/2010, 08:50 PM
Mahogany sucks, don't waste your money.

Cattlemans sucks, below Outback Steakhouse quality and I'm being serious.

Ranch Steakhouse, ok, but I've had better but the cigar bar is wicked.

Mickey Mantle's is good. Been there three times, the last being on the wifes's birthday and was asked if we had been there before and told them yes, but we thought it was mediocre and that the service sucked. The GM came by the table, gave us two free appetizers, a bottle of wine, and an appetizer all on the house.

Then, I went to pay the bill and the manager refused to let me tip the waiter on a $300 tab (we drank like fish). I had the bone-in-ribeye and it was one of the best steaks that I've ever ate, and I've traveled all over the place.

Let em know if somethings not right food or service wise...they will bend over backwards to make you a happy camper.

Expect to drop some dough if you drink and the appetizers kick some serious ***. The lobster bisque is really good, they use tobasco which I found disgusting until I tried it.

Good luck.

soonerbub
11/1/2010, 08:57 PM
Indian Hills good memories!! I think the I-35 interchange construction killed them tho

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 09:32 PM
The only thing in his wallet is a condom from 1992.

What's the street value of that?...maybe I could use it for a tip if we go to MM's and the service is as bad as some have said.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 09:44 PM
Mahogany sucks, don't waste your money.

Cattlemans sucks, below Outback Steakhouse quality and I'm being serious.

Ranch Steakhouse, ok, but I've had better but the cigar bar is wicked.

Mickey Mantle's is good. Been there three times, the last being on the wifes's birthday and was asked if we had been there before and told them yes, but we thought it was mediocre and that the service sucked. The GM came by the table, gave us two free appetizers, a bottle of wine, and an appetizer all on the house.

Then, I went to pay the bill and the manager refused to let me tip the waiter on a $300 tab (we drank like fish). I had the bone-in-ribeye and it was one of the best steaks that I've ever ate, and I've traveled all over the place.

Let em know if somethings not right food or service wise...they will bend over backwards to make you a happy camper.

Expect to drop some dough if you drink and the appetizers kick some serious ***. The lobster bisque is really good, they use tobasco which I found disgusting until I tried it.

Good luck.

Sounds interesting.
Between the price of the food and the fact that we'll all be drinking, it kinda scares me a bit (especially considering quite a few on here have said it's just okay, but seems overpriced). We'll see what everyone wants to do (meaning, we'll end up going wherever our wives want us to go):D

stoops the eternal pimp
11/1/2010, 09:48 PM
HOOTERS IT IS!

Boarder
11/1/2010, 09:54 PM
i honestly think kona ranch is the best steak in okc... if its still open. i havnt been to south meridian in quite a while.
Kona used to be really delicious but the last few times I went there it was worse than the last. Very disappointing.

OU-HSV
11/1/2010, 10:15 PM
HOOTERS IT IS!

IN

btk108
11/1/2010, 10:19 PM
I've always seen that when I drive in for games, I never stopped and tried it though. Always wondered if it was good. Seems like the last home game I went to I noticed it was closed, unless I was looking at the wrong building.

It's Mooney's now.....bar and grill

btk108
11/1/2010, 10:20 PM
I bought a $50 gift certificate for 25 on channel 4...will that buy an appetizer? :D

sooner59
11/1/2010, 11:26 PM
Almost!

OU-HSV
11/9/2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the opinions.
BUT...After all that help you all gave me, I think everyone has decided on Mexican food, so we're going to Chelinos. I haven't been there in forever, but I recall it as being very good so I told them we ought to go there instead of Abuelos (I can go to Abuelos any time in Tulsa).
I assume Chelinos is still awesome, correct?? And good margaritas?

Boarder
11/9/2010, 10:25 PM
You really want to open up the Mexican food debate????

:D

OU-HSV
11/9/2010, 10:33 PM
Sure why not. I figure there can't be much to debate since we are wanting to eat in Brick Town, and there are only what?...two Mexican food restaurants in that area?

GDC
11/10/2010, 12:10 PM
Everything in Bricktown is overpriced and overrated, and way too many corporate chain restaurants.

saucysoonergal
11/10/2010, 12:19 PM
If you are going to Chelinos Bricktown, order the Hurricane instead of the Margarita. Keep it away from open flames, ywia.

OU-HSV
11/10/2010, 08:18 PM
If you are going to Chelinos Bricktown, order the Hurricane instead of the Margarita. Keep it away from open flames, ywia.

Awesome. Will do. What exactly is it? Is it like the hurricanes they make in New Orleans?..if so I had them down there and they were tasty and potent.