PDA

View Full Version : What Changes Are Need At OU

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:43 PM
If you could wave a magic wand and make one change that you think would make our football team better what would it be?

Mine would be to go to an attack 3-4 defense like Alabama. I believe with the caliber of athletes we recruit, we would be successful with it. How many times do we see inferior teams move the ball on us? It damn sure couldn't be worse than 80th. I don't think we can be dominate especially on the road until we do something different on Defense. Please don't tell me about the high powered Big 12 style offenses.

olevetonahill
10/29/2010, 05:48 PM
Id get a Kicker

SoonerDomiNation
10/29/2010, 05:52 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmm.ummmmmmmmmmmmmm well ummmmmmmmm...........lemme see............new water boy?

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:52 PM
Id get a Kicker

We have 4 on skolly. :rolleyes: :D

SoonerKnight
10/29/2010, 05:53 PM
Well it is rebuilding for the D but we all know the D has not been the same since Mike left.

badger
10/29/2010, 05:53 PM
Nothing. My high school teams used to barely win any games and losing is part of football, even at OU, home of the 47-game winning streak. I feel fortunate to lay claim to a team that consistently wins as much as OU and I hope you all do too.

We have a good team with good coaches and we are lucky to have them. The second we try to change something is the second we suddenly turn into 3-loss Texas.

MamaMia
10/29/2010, 05:55 PM
I have them throw over the middle to the tight end more; be more unpredictable.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:56 PM
Nothing. My high school teams used to barely win any games and losing is part of football, even at OU, home of the 47-game winning streak. I feel fortunate to lay claim to a team that consistently wins as much as OU and I hope you all do too.

We have a good team with good coaches and we are lucky to have them. The second we try to change something is the second we suddenly turn into 3-loss Texas.

I agree we have great coaches. I don't think we would be worse than 80th if we went to it. There is no doubt it will happen in the future. I don't know what we are waiting on.

SeattleOUstudent
10/29/2010, 05:57 PM
Changes? Seriously? Is this Texas A&M? You people need to just sit back and let this YOUNG team develop and grow. We are still VERY much in the Big 12 title hunt!

quit yer bitchin.

King Barry's Back
10/29/2010, 05:58 PM

Sunshine pumper! :P

I'd actually make two changes. 1. I'd make Landry Jones be more experienced right now, and 2. I wouldn't miss any field goals.

OUTrumpet
10/29/2010, 06:00 PM
If you could wave a magic wand and make one change that you think would make our football team better what would it be?

Mine would be to go to an attack 3-4 defense like Alabama. I believe with the caliber of athletes we recruit, we would be successful with it. How many times do we see inferior teams move the ball on us? It damn sure couldn't be worse than 80th. I don't think we can be dominate especially on the road until we do something different on Defense. Please don't tell me about the high powered Big 12 style offenses.

3-4 probably wouldn't be good with our current personnel. We need a much bigger defensive tackle, much bigger defensive ends, and much bigger MLBs. Defensive tackles in the 3-4 are only to command double teams, and the same with defensive ends. The line is to eat up blocks, MLBs stuff the middle, and the OLB play short and to the sideline. It's easier to overload the zones with a 3-4 as the primary coverage scheme ends up being a rolled cover 3 on top of that.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 06:02 PM
Changes? Seriously? Is this Texas A&M? You people need to just sit back and let this YOUNG team develop and grow. We are still VERY much in the Big 12 title hunt!

quit yer bitchin.

bitchin?????????????? Read the MFing thread before you jump on your blind defensive!

badger
10/29/2010, 06:02 PM
Sunshine pumper! :P

Always and not afraid to admit it. Football woes really are minuscule compared with all the bad news floating around in Oklahoma, nationwide and around the world.

And if one of our four (going on five) scholarship kickers does not manage to get a ball through two yellow metal poles on Saturday once or twice, billions of people around the world won't lose sleep over it, so why should I? :)

EDIT: But for those of you that do lose sleep over it and feel the need to discuss your feelers about it, I have no issue or problem

SoonerDomiNation
10/29/2010, 06:03 PM
Seriously I dont think I would change a thing. I agree with tha badj losing is part of football or any sport for that matter. Were young talented and I know them boys hate to lose. Im sure it affects them more than us. OU has such great fans players coachs facilities and a game experience like no other IMHO. Ill be there to cheer em on win or lose no matter what im a sooner fan.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 06:05 PM
I'd change the refreshments from coke to pepsi, or pepsi to coke....sponsorship changes are always good.

badger
10/29/2010, 06:09 PM
I'd change the refreshments from coke to pepsi, or pepsi to coke....sponsorship changes are always good.

Oh man... good call! Just having a choice would be awesome. Mr. Pibb just doesn't compare to the awesomeness of Dr. Pepper!

If we're gonna go along those lines, I'd also like re-entry privileges at halftime back, more bleacher space to accommodate larger fans (we've all been surrounded by them) and kiddos to be given the same stadium giveaways that the students get... we always see them hunting around for souvenir cups and Boomer/Sooner signs and hats. Why not just let them have them before the games instead of have them scavenge for the stuff afterward?

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 06:10 PM
3-4 probably wouldn't be good with our current personnel. We need a much bigger defensive tackle, much bigger defensive ends, and much bigger MLBs. Defensive tackles in the 3-4 are only to command double teams, and the same with defensive ends. The line is to eat up blocks, MLBs stuff the middle, and the OLB play short and to the sideline. It's easier to overload the zones with a 3-4 as the primary coverage scheme ends up being a rolled cover 3 on top of that.

It is a different scheme and we would recruit differently for it but look at our past 1 and 3 technique tackles many of them could play in a 3-4. This year they are not having much success in the 4-3 nor would they in the 3-4. I think we will convert within the next few years.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 06:19 PM
baj, dr. pepper is a little trickier since in some areas it's a pepsi product, some places it's a coke product, and in some places it's even bottled as a 7up product.

yankee
10/29/2010, 06:25 PM
i'd fire the entire coaching staff, 'cept wilson and vulnerables cuz they're awesome!!

sendbaht
10/29/2010, 06:35 PM
I'd build a extra stadium say in Hawaii so I could some what meet you guys 1/2 way to go to the games.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 06:36 PM
if you want serious changes, I would fire the Band Director.

GKeeper316
10/29/2010, 07:01 PM
lower tuition.

East Coast Bias
10/29/2010, 07:07 PM
I would swap Leroy Selmon for Adrian Taylor, the Boz for Box and Roy Williams for Carter and see what happens..... Remember the King always said it was the players not the formation...

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2010, 07:13 PM
I would stop playing the 2nd half unit and just field the same squad that played in the 1st half.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 07:42 PM
I would get rid of half the statues on campus (including that dumb one with the OU football player holding the ballerina).

And I would quit making players do gay things, like hold hands. Patting on the butt would be strictly forbidden. No hugging either. That's for sissies.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 07:43 PM
I would swap Leroy Selmon for Adrian Taylor, the Boz for Box and Roy Williams for Carter and see what happens..... Remember the King always said it was the players not the formation...

I could live with this.

aurorasooner
10/29/2010, 07:47 PM
I would like to see the coaches try to convince Millard (SP-?--Frosh from Missouri) to move from FB to TE. From what I've seen of this kid blocking and also running after he catches the ball out of the backfield, he could possibly be a great TE.
With him in the game at TE, along with Finch and DM in a 2 back set, motioning one out of the backfield when we need 3 receivers or shifting both out wide in the slot when we go to 4 receivers (along with Broyles & Stills out wide), that would be a helluva group of receivers in the game at the same time, and the opposing D would have to keep a close watch on our TE over the middle similar to what they had to do when we had Gresham.

SoonerLB
10/29/2010, 08:16 PM
Fewer swing passes and draw plays into waiting arms! And use the fullback and tight ends more, assuming the line could block once in a while that is. ;)
And teach the defense proper tackling technique! I still can't get that image of that Mizzou guy dragging three ball slappers down the field out of my mind, GRRRR....!!!
A good kicker would be a bonus as well. :)

oumartin
10/29/2010, 08:19 PM
yeah, don't change a thing. go with the what's continually gotten ya beat by inferior teams and embarrassed in BCS games.

Good plan..

Jesus you sunshine pumpers really get under my skin.

All is well in Norman so if you dont' agree f'off and bury your head in the sand right? sheesh.

XingTheRubicon
10/29/2010, 08:43 PM
I'd take the Love's Country Stores Ad down off the scoreboard.

Then I'd take the rest of them down as well.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 08:49 PM
Someone needs to buyout the Gaylord family so that their name can be removed from the Stadium, that's been the real jinx.

ThinMan
10/29/2010, 09:15 PM
Run defense.

mightysooner
10/29/2010, 09:17 PM
We need young players to mature first and foremost. Defensively, we need to man up on WR's on the line and get physical with them when they come off the line instead of standing 10 yards off and giving them space to run. We need to allow our corners to man up and do what they do. We need better blitz schemes too incorporating the safeties sometimes. Our defensive philosophy is a soft one. It doesn't attack. It relies on rushing four and dancing around in zone coverage while watching the QB's eyes to see where he's going with the ball and then tackle in space keeping everything underneath. That's weak. It's playing afraid of getting beaten deep.

Offensively, we are a short/medium range passing finesse team that relies on the flat to compensate for lack of a power running game. If your linemen spend most of their time pass blocking, they won't be efficient in run blocking which is twice as physical as pass blocking. We need to stop running out of the gun with no lead blockers, or at least, run more from under center. Realizing the benefits of play action in the passing game to freeze backers and corners might also be of benefit.

BRS
10/29/2010, 09:22 PM
Someone needs to buyout the Gaylord family so that their name can be removed from the Stadium, that's been the real jinx.

What he said.

oudavid1
10/29/2010, 09:24 PM
I would put David Leake at holder with 4 years of eligibility and then make him a grad assistant after that.

oumartin
10/29/2010, 09:32 PM
We need to line up and hit somebodyindamouf

tcrb
10/29/2010, 10:03 PM
Id get a Kicker that could consistently put it through the uprights from 40+

fify :D

oumartin
10/29/2010, 10:08 PM
if you want serious changes, I would fire the Band Director.

Folks, this right here is it!

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 10:22 PM
Some of you need to change your diaper.

rainiersooner
10/29/2010, 11:21 PM
Id get a Kicker

Ain't that the truth.

rainiersooner
10/29/2010, 11:23 PM
I'd serve beer in the stadium.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 11:45 PM

Uhhh no, since that time our stadium has not been a jinx whatsoever. Somehow we need to convince bowl stadiums to change their name to Gaylord Stadium. Our opponents' stadiums too.

Breadburner
10/29/2010, 11:55 PM
Retarded posters would spontaneously combust.....

Leroy Lizard
10/30/2010, 12:11 AM
BTW, how many games has OU lost at Gaylord Family Stadium? 1?

Why the antagonism toward the Gaylords? I have never understood that.

ouwasp
10/30/2010, 12:16 AM
wave a wand, huh? I'd like to see Mike Stoops back. Maybe Mike Leach too.... but I'd settle for M. Stoops.

Crucifax Autumn
10/30/2010, 12:18 AM
Personally I think if you guys all had your magic wands and made us invincible the game would become boring.

ouwasp
10/30/2010, 12:36 AM
Leach = Not boring

soonerboy_odanorth
10/30/2010, 01:33 AM
I'm happy with our staff and their recruiting.

But if I had one fantasy upgrade to the team I'd get Rex Ryan back as DC. But I hear he's a little busy.

oudavid1
10/30/2010, 02:02 AM
Leach = Not boring

Biggest understatement ever!

CBUS_SOONER
10/30/2010, 07:56 AM
Well it is rebuilding for the D but we all know the D has not been the same since Mike left.
^^^ this

SoonerBacker
10/30/2010, 09:51 AM
Always and not afraid to admit it. Football woes really are minuscule compared with all the bad news floating around in Oklahoma, nationwide and around the world.

And if one of our four (going on five) scholarship kickers does not manage to get a ball through two yellow metal poles on Saturday once or twice, billions of people around the world won't lose sleep over it, so why should I? :)

EDIT: But for those of you that do lose sleep over it and feel the need to discuss your feelers about it, I have no issue or problem

^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^

KantoSooner
10/30/2010, 09:53 AM
We could magically discover that Leroy Selmon has had eleven male love children in Nigeria (training at Barry Switzer's secret football and badness academy) and they all want to come play ball at OU.

spatton713
10/30/2010, 10:19 AM
id give murray usain bolt speed

prrriiide
10/30/2010, 11:42 AM

Change the sponsorship to New Belgium.

StoopTroup
10/30/2010, 11:57 AM
I'd like to see some nachos made with real shredded cheese.

Also some water fountains that you could see were filtered and chilled that didn't look like the were tied into the sprinkler system for the field.

Tulsa_Fireman
10/30/2010, 12:14 PM
Bank of Oklahoma to sponsor again instead of Midfirst. So I can get a sweet OU debit card.

And good bratwurst.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/30/2010, 02:46 PM
BTW, how many games has OU lost at Gaylord Family Stadium? 1?

Why the antagonism toward the Gaylords? I have never understood that.

Simple. Think an Oklahoma version of William Randolf Hearst. A privately held, statewide, and really only, significant news periodical is a very powerful thing, especially politically. And folks like EK, and Ed after him, don't ascend the ladder of success without stepping on a few, or a lot of, little fingers on the way up.

And according to a family member that worked for him, Ed was difficult, sometimes extremely so, to work for. He had some eccentricities that made him insufferable at times.

Basically, too much power, influence, and wealth in the hands of one man/family. But they sure have treated OU well. (But that of course being something that the halloween sheep huggers detest as well... "OU bias".)

boomermagic
10/30/2010, 02:50 PM
I'd score more points than whoever we are playing EVERY game.. lol

Just relax folks this team is a rebuilding/reloading young team for the most part.. We are doing ok..

boomermagic
10/30/2010, 02:56 PM
We could magically discover that Leroy Selmon has had eleven male love children in Nigeria (training at Barry Switzer's secret football and badness academy) and they all want to come play ball at OU.

Hey, That would do it.

OUinFLA
10/30/2010, 03:11 PM
only play at home.
make the BCS come to us.

landrun
10/30/2010, 03:25 PM
I'd replace Brent Venables because he's an average DC.

JRAM
10/30/2010, 03:26 PM
First Badger, go back to your hole. It is obvious that you are a democrat and don't care about anything but liberal ideas. Second, our coaches are the best around. Third, our team needs a QB who is a leader and not afraid of anyone that is not blocked properly. Seriously, Jones has a problem with fear and lack of leadership. I hope that he grows up, but I am not expecting him to. As far as defense, we need to play with passion and guts. Scheme doesn't matter without a desire to overwhelm.

cleller
10/30/2010, 03:42 PM
Mike Stoops-DC, Mark Mangino, OL, Jonathon Hayes, Special Teams, Anyone named Selmon, D-line.

Breadburner
11/1/2010, 06:22 PM
First Badger, go back to your hole. It is obvious that you are a democrat and don't care about anything but liberal ideas. Second, our coaches are the best around. Third, our team needs a QB who is a leader and not afraid of anyone that is not blocked properly. Seriously, Jones has a problem with fear and lack of leadership. I hope that he grows up, but I am not expecting him to. As far as defense, we need to play with passion and guts. Scheme doesn't matter without a desire to overwhelm.

:pop:

stoopified
11/1/2010, 06:39 PM
Gerald McCoy would have stayed in school one more year and we would be 8-0

OU_Sooners75
11/1/2010, 06:45 PM

Do we really have the personnel to effectively run a 3-4 right now?

I would love for us to switch to a 3-4, but good luck. We are stuck on the traditional 4-3.

Cornfed
11/1/2010, 06:48 PM
I would have them all turned into Tim Tebow.

OU_Sooners75
11/1/2010, 06:49 PM
I would have them all turned into Tim Tebow.

There are enough primadonna's in cfb and football altogether...we dont need an entire team of them!

TXBOOMER
11/1/2010, 06:56 PM
Do we really have the personnel to effectively run a 3-4 right now?

I would love for us to switch to a 3-4, but good luck. We are stuck on the traditional 4-3.

We would need several people to gain and lose weight. We don't have a Zero Technique Nose Tackle. We really don't have the guys to play inside with the 4-3 right now. 3-4 is a magic wand space God wish. I do think within the next 5 - 10 years everyone will be playing it.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 07:00 PM

That rumor is bull****. It was just a short safari vacation. The whole "eleven male love children" has been bandied around the Internet for a long time and I wish it would stop.

Oh, Leroy SELMON.

Never mind.

Leroy Lizard
11/1/2010, 07:02 PM
Simple. Think an Oklahoma version of William Randolf Hearst. A privately held, statewide, and really only, significant news periodical is a very powerful thing, especially politically. And folks like EK, and Ed after him, don't ascend the ladder of success without stepping on a few, or a lot of, little fingers on the way up.

So I ask again, why the antagonism toward the Gaylords?

Cornfed
11/1/2010, 07:11 PM
There are enough primadonna's in cfb and football altogether...we dont need an entire team of them!
But if they were all the hardest working player on the team,:P

okiedokie
11/1/2010, 07:21 PM
I would like to see the 46 defense again? remember that one....

SunnySooner
11/1/2010, 07:27 PM
The only thing that concerns me about our team is the road record. 28 of Bob's 30 losses are on the road, right? Look at how schizo we've been this year--killing teams at home, struggling at Cinci, losing at Misery, etc. And this isn't a new problem--it was the same last year, and we've had similar problems the years before.

Bring in a consultant, appoint someone within the org. already, whatever, but have them breakdown everything from mealtimes, to roommate assignments, ALL of it that goes into a road game, and start making some changes somewhere. Couldn't hurt, right? I mean, SOMETHING is screwy. A team shouldn't change their entire personality/make-up/confidence level/abilities because they are playing on grass that isn't in Norman.

I know, whiney spoiled fan, blah,blah,blah. I'm just frustrated that our teams have had such a hard time playing to their potential when they aren't at home, and if some changes could be made that might help the situation, I would love to wave a wand and make those changes happen. It would help my blood pressure considerably to know that the team that shows up in College Station on Sat. is the same team that just beat the snot out of Colorado in Norman.

End rant, that's it. Otherwise, this is the best team to cheer for in the history of ever, and I'm thankful that I'm American by birth, and SOONER by the GRACE OF GOD, DEMMIT!!!! BOOMER!!!

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
11/1/2010, 07:50 PM
I'd reopen the Town Tavern.