PDA

View Full Version : Dish and Fox agree to deal!!

Crimsontothecore
10/29/2010, 05:10 PM
A sigh of relief.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=29&articleid=20101029_298_0_DishNe68530

soonercastor
10/29/2010, 05:13 PM
phewww

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:16 PM
Thank me and many people like me that had DISH unhooked. Don't be negotiating during football season next time beeothches.

cmoneyou
10/29/2010, 05:26 PM
Thank me and many people like me that had DISH unhooked. Don't be negotiating during football season next time beeothches.

Yeah thank you for allowing fox to bully dish into paying more so they can raise rates. /sarcasm I think I am just going to switch providers each time my contract is up.

MeMyself&Me
10/29/2010, 05:28 PM
It's the people that were switching off Dishnetwork that had me worried. If Dish was forced to panic mode they may have been forced to concede too much. Fox appeared to be asking for a lot. Dishnetwork is not the only one that has had channels removed from service due to network demands.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:46 PM
Yeah thank you for allowing fox to bully dish into paying more so they can raise rates. /sarcasm I think I am just going to switch providers each time my contract is up.

F Both of Them! Any time any service provider uses their subscribers as their bargaining tool I am out.

GimmeRed
10/29/2010, 05:49 PM
Screw both of them I'm going to watch on the Big Ten Network.;)

MamaMia
10/29/2010, 05:50 PM
Thats great news! I switched from Dish to Direct TV because they lied to me about getting all the OU games. They charged my credit card $300.00 plus for breaking my contract.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 05:59 PM
Thats great news! I switched from Dish to Direct TV because they lied to me about getting all the OU games. They charged my credit card $300.00 plus for breaking my contract.

My contract was over. But I still have to pay 30 bucks to send the two receivers back. I am saving 60 bucks a month with Charter.

aurorasooner
10/29/2010, 06:58 PM
Screw both of them I'm going to watch on the Big Ten Network.;)
The Big Ten Network (or BTN) is an American sports television network dedicated to the Big Ten Conference. The network currently reaches approximately 40 million households nationwide and is available up to an estimated 73 million households in the United States and Canada.[1] It is the first internationally distributed network dedicated to covering a single college conference.
The network is a 20-year joint project of the Big Ten Conference, and Fox Entertainment Group (a division of News Corporation). The Big Ten Network is majority-owned (51%) by the Big Ten Conference, with Fox Entertainment Group holding a minority interest (49%).[2] Fox handles the administration and affiliate sales operations of the channel. The conference announced the formation of the network on June 21, 2006.

landrun
10/29/2010, 07:51 PM

I have never dealt with a company more dishonest and corrupt than Dish. They lied to me about the sports channels I would get and they told me I would get the local ABC channel. :mad:

I didn't sign a contract with them. And I'm soooo glad. After football season was over I left and will never go back.

landrun
10/29/2010, 07:53 PM
Awesome... I just wasted my 1000th post on Dish Network! :mad:

I was planning on saying something really clever too. :D

soonerinabilene
10/29/2010, 09:33 PM
dangit. i wish they would have waited one more week. i was going to call tomorrow and complain about not getting the texas game to get more pay per view credits. they gave me 6 free ones for not being able to get the iowa stae game.

TrophyCollector
10/29/2010, 10:00 PM

Thank you. I did the same. Realize they are both bastages, but I only had the power to tell one of them to F off- so I did. Direct is cheaper and has way better DVR.

TXBOOMER
10/29/2010, 10:31 PM
Thank you. I did the same. Realize they are both bastages, but I only had the power to tell one of them to F off- so I did. Direct is cheaper and has way better DVR.

Thank you as well. I totally agree.

SoonerDick
10/29/2010, 10:35 PM
I had just upgraded my dish services two months ago and was stuck with it all. Luckily someone used a beta broadcast site and invited me to view the ISU game at their site. Saved the day.

soonerboomer93
10/30/2010, 12:59 AM
I have never dealt with a company more dishonest and corrupt than Dish. They lied to me about the sports channels I would get and they told me I would get the local ABC channel. :mad:

I didn't sign a contract with them. And I'm soooo glad. After football season was over I left and will never go back.

Lots of time it's not "Dish" who sells the initial programming et al. It's a third party company. When I worked for Dish, we did our best to handle those situations, but sometimes all we could do was reference the original retailer.

Also, local station available is controlled by a hugely complex set of rules. Dish didn't make up those rules and has fought hard against a lot of the rules regarding local channels and how they can make them available. They have to sign a contract with each individual local stations, or in some cases the corporation that owns local stations in several markets. The rules regarding the local channels are different for Satellite providers (Dish and DirectTv) then they are for cable providers last I knew.

cmoneyou
10/30/2010, 01:12 AM

Now I don't care one way or the other, but neither is never really cheaper than the other. I have never heard anyone else prefer direct's dvr though.

Crimsontothecore
10/30/2010, 07:03 AM
Believe me, I wanted to tell Dish to shove it like many of you apparently did. My dilemma was that my Dish, home phone, and internet are bundled and to switch would not only be a pain but it would have easily doubled what I pay now for those three services. Regardless, Fox is back and I'm a happy camper.

MeMyself&Me
10/30/2010, 08:49 AM
Now I don't care one way or the other, but neither is never really cheaper than the other. I have never heard anyone else prefer direct's dvr though.

This.

MeMyself&Me
10/30/2010, 08:52 AM
Although I know Dish does some weird **** that pisses people off frequently, I'm surprised that people are blaming Dish for this one. It sounds like Fox was demanding a huge increase in fees and when Dish refused because it was too high, Fox withheld the programing.

This happened with DirectTV and VS last football season and it wasn't over for several months. Fox has also done this with a few cable providers as well already.

CrimsonJim
10/30/2010, 10:03 AM
Although I know Dish does some weird **** that pisses people off frequently, I'm surprised that people are blaming Dish for this one. It sounds like Fox was demanding a huge increase in fees and when Dish refused because it was too high, Fox withheld the programing.

This happened with DirectTV and VS last football season and it wasn't over for several months. Fox has also done this with a few cable providers as well already.

Agreed, and unless other providers just buckle under, you may well see Fox do the same thing whenever their contracts run out.

humblesooner
10/30/2010, 10:18 AM
Lots of time it's not "Dish" who sells the initial programming et al. It's a third party company. When I worked for Dish, we did our best to handle those situations, but sometimes all we could do was reference the original retailer.

Also, local station available is controlled by a hugely complex set of rules. Dish didn't make up those rules and has fought hard against a lot of the rules regarding local channels and how they can make them available. They have to sign a contract with each individual local stations, or in some cases the corporation that owns local stations in several markets. The rules regarding the local channels are different for Satellite providers (Dish and DirectTv) then they are for cable providers last I knew.

Landrun's point was that they lied about it to get their business. If their hands are tied, that is what the consumer should to be told. If they lied to me, I would cut them and never use them ever again - even if I had to go back to rabbit ears (digital, of course). And would be sure everyone I could find knew that they had lied to me.

soonerboomer93
10/30/2010, 11:15 AM
My point was that it might not hae been Dish itself who lied, especially if the the bad information was given at sign up.

Local channels are qualified for on address, and last I knew that wasn't run until after sign up, you have to be in the system before the qualification can be made. Also, the local channels rules at least were so ****ed up, that literally your neighbor could have them, but you couldn't if you were on one of the boundary zones.

bluedogok
10/30/2010, 07:26 PM
The cable companies lobbied for these rules and restrictions on Dish/Directv much like how the NAB has lobbied for rules much different for satellite radio than the terrestrial radio that they represent.

It is only going to get worse if Comcast is able to buy NBC|Universal, they already hold some of their regional sports channels hostage to Dish/Directv, just imagine if they have 20-30 channels to use as a weapon.