PDA

View Full Version : College Station in Lockdown***

oudavid1
10/28/2010, 04:57 PM
UPDATE AS OF 5:25pm

ALL CLEAR GIVEN. False Alarm.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Gunman_Reported_On_Texas_AM_Campus_106143448.html

CODE MAROON:
4:36pm No armed subject found at this time. Police are still searching. Continue to shelter in place. Bus pickup to exit campus- GO TO LEWIS ST BEHIND DUNCAN DINING HALL.

4:35pm Police are still searching. Continue to shelter in place.

Thursday afternoon, Texas A&M activated their Code Maroon notification system alerting students to a gunman spotted on campus.

The A&M campus is not on lock down as of yet, according to spokesman Jason Cook, who says a bus driver spotted an armed individual and reported it to University Police.

However, students calling into News 3 say they have been locked in buildins across campus and some students weren't being let certain buildings.

Here's an brief description of the armed individual, according to scanner reports:
-white male
-wearing olive or green shirt and shorts
-wearing back pack
-carrying an AK-47

Another report of a gunman was called in from West Campus shortly after the first sighting. Authorities do not have a clear description on that individual.

The following Code Maroon message was sent out at 4 p.m.:

"Code Maroon: Sighting of armed subject at Rudder Tower. SEEK SAFE SHELTER until further notice."

Scanner reports say that University Police have set up a command center near Rudder Tower. According to reports, the College Station SWAT Team has been activated.

News 3 has a crew on the way to campus and will have more information as it becomes available

Update from 4:52pm.

Snipers on top of Kyle Field, George Bush Sr and Ms Bush are supposed to be on campus, gunmen still not found.

yermom
10/28/2010, 05:01 PM
i hope he stays off the grass

(and doesn't shoot anyone)

batonrougesooner
10/28/2010, 05:02 PM
Probably a big misunderstanding. Hopefully.

oudavid1
10/28/2010, 05:04 PM
Austin Statesmen:

Gunman reported on Texas A&M campus

By AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF | Thursday, October 28, 2010, 04:51 PM

Update 4:51: Former President George H.W. Bush, Barbara Bush and Laura W. Bush are scheduled to attend a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the George Bush Presidential Library Center on the campus at 5 p.m., the Associated Press reports.

UPDATE 4:40: A&M officials said they have not found the armed man but are still searching.

They advise students to remain sheltered in a safe place. Buses to pick up students attempting to leave campus are stopping on Lewis Street, behind the Duncan Dining Hall, officials said.

EARLIER: Texas A&M University officials said there are reports of a gunman at the College Station campus.

Television station KBTX reports that Texas A&M is not on lockdown this afternoon.

A&M spokesman Jason Cook told the TV station that a bus driver spotted an armed individual and reported it to university police, who have set up a command center near Rudder Tower. According to reports, the College Station SWAT Team has been activated.

Police officials said the person was described is a white man with green shorts and a dark-colored T-shirt and a backpack, the Eagle reports. Officials said the suspect was reported carrying a AK-47-style weapon.

Authorities told the paper that they have units responding to the area from Bryan and College Station.

According to a text message sent by A&M officials at 4 p.m. today:

Code Maroon.

Sighting of armed subject at Rudder Tower. SEEK SAFE SHELTER until further notice.

Rudder Tower is No. 1 — in the center — on this map: http://visit.tamu.edu/campusMap.pdf.

The A&M emergency alert webpage is here: http://codemaroon.tamu.edu/

The University of Texas went on lockdown for hours Sept. 28 after police officials said UT sophomore Colton Tooley fired an AK-47 several times on campus. The 19-year-old math major fatally shot himself on the sixth floor of the Perry-Castaņeda Library.

batonrougesooner
10/28/2010, 05:07 PM
I guess once you are an ex-president three times removed you don't quite have the same SS coverage as you used to. But don't they always maintain some level of SS protection?

oudavid1
10/28/2010, 05:09 PM
More

UPDATE 6:04 p.m. EST: BreakingNews posted to Twitter that, according to NBC, the person responsible for the lockdown has been detained. Stay tuned for more details.

Texas A&M University is on lockdown after reports of a gunman on campus.

According to KBTX, the gunman sighted was a white male wearing an olive or green shirt and shorts, wearing a backpack and carrying an AK-47. He was seen at Rudder Tower.

According to a Tweet from KBTX, former first lady Laura Bush is currently on the Texas A&M campus. Former President George H.W. Bush and former first lady Barbara Bush were due to be campus at 5 p.m. CST to open the Heart Truth Red Dress Exhibit.

Students have been urged to seek safe shelter. No reported shots have been fired.

oudavid1
10/28/2010, 05:11 PM
From Twitter:

Update: Gun 'suspect' is member of Texas A&M Corps of Cadets (similar to ROTC) who was walking with his rifle - NBC

batonrougesooner
10/28/2010, 05:13 PM
That's what I thought it might be.

oudavid1
10/28/2010, 05:19 PM
All Clear in College Station.

badger
10/28/2010, 05:21 PM
Oh man... it was a Corps member all along? :rcmad:

ouduckhunter
10/28/2010, 05:24 PM
let the dumb aggy jokes begin......

badger
10/28/2010, 05:27 PM

I peeked at TexAgs - they think it was an ROTC member issued a plastic AK-47 and he was in civilian clothes.

My guess is that the Aggies just don't want to admit that their Corps were impersonating real soldiers again :rolleyes:

soonercastor
10/28/2010, 05:45 PM
But don't they always maintain some level of SS protection?

yeah

soonerchk
10/28/2010, 05:49 PM

Jaz Reynolds will start them.

Seriously, how dumb would a gunman have to be to head for A&M? Aren't all the cadets armed?

caseysooner
10/28/2010, 06:42 PM
Only at aTm

birddog
10/28/2010, 08:03 PM
they've been impersonating a football team for years.

TrophyCollector
10/28/2010, 09:02 PM
I thought their warning code for gunman on campus was a double "whoop" followed by three Fight Farmers followed by the a triple "whoop" from hump it position and ending with a hulabloo.

Rickety_Syd
10/28/2010, 09:10 PM
i hope he stays off the grass

(and doesn't shoot anyone)

That's gold, Jerry . . . gold!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PuZoLkvmBbc/SeTG6yYMdbI/AAAAAAAADTk/BwOu_QdBUTo/s320/Kenny+Bania.bmp

badger
10/29/2010, 10:51 AM
I thought their warning code for gunman on campus was a double "whoop" followed by three Fight Farmers followed by the a triple "whoop" from hump it position and ending with a hulabloo.

:rcmad: He was only a sophomore and said "whoop?" CODE MAROON! CODE EFFING MAROON! :rcmad:

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 11:02 AM
Nobody got a haircut?

King Barry's Back
10/29/2010, 07:58 PM
I guess once you are an ex-president three times removed you don't quite have the same SS coverage as you used to. But don't they always maintain some level of SS protection?

Former presidents are entitled to security assistance for the remainder of their lives.

I don't remember the details, but after a few terms out of office, they get their option of a much reduced SS detail or cash to pay for their own private security.

agoo758
10/29/2010, 08:22 PM
And this is why we still have the :rcmad: icon.