PDA

View Full Version : "innovative Oregon"

Lott's Bandana
10/27/2010, 09:45 PM
Just watched a segment on something called The Tony Barnhart Show on CBSCollegeSports wher some fella wrote a book about NCAAF innovation, crediting Oregon on this show for the new fast-paced offense, crowning Chip Kelly as a genius.

:pop:

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 10:02 PM
Morons.

Seamus
10/27/2010, 10:04 PM
Two years late.

soonercastor
10/27/2010, 10:11 PM
If he's referring to the fast-pace only then yeah, he's 2 years late. If he's referring to their option, he would be wrong too because Pat White ran this thing at WVU. Either way he's wrong.

oumartin
10/27/2010, 10:35 PM
I love their offense. I think it's more kick *** then bradfords show a couple years back.

I just hate oregon with a passion so I hope it ultimately fails.

However, this offense is alot less gimmicky then the offense OU ran that sputtered against good defenses.

SoonerPr8r
10/27/2010, 10:36 PM
They are now calling it "The Blur" all zone read and 3-5 yd simple routes that are easy to learn and hard to defend with only 18 seconds between snaps. It is more about execution than strategy

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 10:38 PM
I love their offense. I think it's more kick *** then bradfords show a couple years back.

However, this offense is alot less gimmicky then the offense OU ran that sputtered against good defenses.

What?

How exactly is OU's offense a gimmick offense, outside of the fact that they run a fast paced no-huddle?

Intown
10/27/2010, 10:39 PM
I hope Norm Chow sees this and gives up Lent for Halloween.

oumartin
10/27/2010, 10:44 PM
the entire offense was based on and still is based on getting that initial first down. when that didn't work just like now it's a quick three and out.

Having a Gimmicky offense is not an insult dont' get me wrong. The problem was the results when they were on the field with equal talent. They lost both of those games. OU hasn't beaten a team it wasn't suppose to beat in years.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 10:47 PM
That's because OU is supposed to beat everyone.

BigRed47
10/27/2010, 10:47 PM
I will say one thing about Oregon's fast, no huddle offense. They run the ball a he!! of lot better than OU ever did out of theirs. Since Bob Stoops has been the coach at OU one think that I have been disappointed with is the lack of a dominant run game. Now we have had a couple of really good runners in 'Q' and 'AD' but they were exceptional players who didn't necessarily need great blocking to get yards. They made a lot on their own. They made OUr line look better than what it might have been. OUr pass blocking on the other hand has for the most part been excellent.

What I like about Oregon is they can pass and run the ball at a frantic pace. I know that USC is not the dominant team of 3 and 4 years ago, but they still have some studs. It will be interesting to see what Oregon does this weekend in the Coliseum.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 10:54 PM
the entire offense was based on and still is based on getting that initial first down. when that didn't work just like now it's a quick three and out.

Having a Gimmicky offense is not an insult dont' get me wrong. The problem was the results when they were on the field with equal talent. They lost both of those games. OU hasn't beaten a team it wasn't suppose to beat in years.

Im still not seeing how the OU offense is any type of gimmick.

Isn't every offense getting the initial first down?

Now, you want gimmick, look at Boise State.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 10:55 PM
I will say one thing about Oregon's fast, no huddle offense. They run the ball a he!! of lot better than OU ever did out of theirs. Since Bob Stoops has been the coach at OU one think that I have been disappointed with is the lack of a dominant run game. Now we have had a couple of really good runners in 'Q' and 'AD' but they were exceptional players who didn't necessarily need great blocking to get yards. They made a lot on their own. They made OUr line look better than what it might have been. OUr pass blocking on the other hand has for the most part been excellent.

What I like about Oregon is they can pass and run the ball at a frantic pace. I know that USC is not the dominant team of 3 and 4 years ago, but they still have some studs. It will be interesting to see what Oregon does this weekend in the Coliseum.

their (oregon's) run game is based off the read option. The QB is reading either the end or the MLB.

oumartin
10/27/2010, 10:58 PM
The same boise state that hasn't lost a game in nearly two years?

Look, you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

I'm not hear to argue. I'm stating my opinion.

If you are happy with the state of the program good for you. I'm not.

Do I think Bob is a good coach. Yes. I personally think his assistants are somewhat overrated and at least in my lifetime I've seen them win a couple of NC's but I highly doubt they win another in the next 10-15 years. The span of time between titles is almost as long as 85-2000. a couple more years and we will be right there as far as length of time.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:01 PM
The same boise state that hasn't lost a game in nearly two years?

Look, you can have your opinion and I can have mine.

If you are happy with the state of the program good for you. I'm not.

Do I think Bob is a good coach. Yes. I personally think his assistants are somewhat overrated and at least in my lifetime I've seen them win a couple of NC's but I highly doubt they win another in the next 10-15 years. The span of time between titles is almost as long as 85-2000. a couple more years and we will be right there as far as length of time.

Hey, I am not arguing...just trying to figure out how OU's offense is gimmick.

As far as Boise not losing in almost 2 years...well, who have they played?

And yes, when you are doing a bunch of trick plays (flea-flickers, hook and ladders, and so on) that is a bunch of gimmick plays.

Now about the coaching. I tend to agree with you. I think overall we have a good solid staff. But some of the coaches are overrated and that shows because people are not knocking on the door to take them as head coaches.

I say we will win at least one more before Stoops calls it quits. May even be as early as next year.

Cornfed
10/27/2010, 11:05 PM

Well thats the first person to do that. :D

oumartin
10/27/2010, 11:10 PM
okay, maybe gimmicky wasn't the best choice of words. when I think of a word to describe it I'll let you know. :D

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:12 PM
okay, maybe gimmicky wasn't the best choice of words. when I think of a word to describe it I'll let you know. :D

Unique (or used to be)?

Overrated?

huh....

Needs to be slowed down?

Need more power plays?

:D

oumartin
10/27/2010, 11:16 PM
I certainly do miss lining up and pushing opponents off the LOS Jammal Brown style.

I miss not knowing that a 3rd and long by our offense means a 1 yard run up the centers butt.

I miss not knowing that a 3rd and long by the opposition didn't automatically mean they will gain 20 plus yards.

Heck. I think teams screw up their first two plays just cuz they know how easy it is to convert on third and long.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:18 PM
Heh.

Now that made me laugh...but there is a lot of truth behind it.

I would say it would be youth, or a bad game. But it happens every season every game...at some point it isnt the players.

Anyway, enough of the bitching about coaches. We know nothing will change.

Intown
10/27/2010, 11:24 PM
I thought OU was gimmicky in '99. In '00 we had more talent and beat everyone with solid football.

If we could only stop the hook n lateral and statue of liberty.

I hate being outfoxed oregon, boise, and mizzou on national tv

I want a rematch against Mizzou and BSU when we learn to make 3rd and long a bad thing for the other team...

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:27 PM
We make 45+% of our 3rd downs.

What we need to learn is how to stop the 3rd and long!

oumartin
10/27/2010, 11:29 PM
We are that good on third down? Holy crap we are pretty good on third down despite the coaching.

silverwheels
10/27/2010, 11:31 PM
It's not like we invented the hurry-up, but yeah, Oregon didn't, either. They're doing it out of the spread only, which seems easier to do, while we mix spread with pro and power sets in our hurry-up, usually with the same personnel on the field, or at least that was the case in 2008.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:46 PM
tulsa was the first team I can remember that ran the hurry up all game long. They may not be the first though.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:48 PM
We are that good on third down? Holy crap we are pretty good on third down despite the coaching.

Yeah, and our defense is doing good a 3rd down conversion defense too, sitting at 36.75%.

We hold the opposition to a punt 63.25% of the time?:eek:

Okie35
10/27/2010, 11:48 PM

Run all over SUCs weak run defense. What will be interesting is the over/under how many yards Barkley will torch Oregon's weak secondary. I'd say he throws over 300 yards. That is Oregon's achilles' heel. SUC will stay in that game.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2010, 11:52 PM
I will say one thing about Oregon's fast, no huddle offense. They run the ball a he!! of lot better than OU ever did out of theirs...

That's because Oregon is a run-first offense (read-option) while OUrs is clearly a pass-first offense with a traditional pro-style QB. What surprises me about the ducks is how well they pass. Usually, running QBs are not that great at passing because they are winded from running. Throw in the hurry-up, and it's really impressive how well that guy is passing. They are not doing anything brand new, but blending ideas from others very effectively. They are very entertaining to watch. I'm sure some innovative coach out there will figure out a way to throw a wrench in their works and this is one thing I love about CFB - the chess matches.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:52 PM
How is USC's rush defense suckage?

They are only allowing 128.75 yds/game on the ground. That is 5th best in the PAC and the second best they have faced to date.

Edit: though I think Oregon will rush a ton on USC.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:56 PM
That's because Oregon is a run-first offense (read-option) while OUrs is clearly a pass-first offense with a traditional pro-style QB. What surprises me about the ducks is how well they pass. Usually, running QBs are not that great at passing because they are winded from running. Throw in the hurry-up, and it's really impressive how well that guy is passing. They are not doing anything brand new, but blending ideas from others very effectively. They are very entertaining to watch. I'm sure some innovative coach out there will figure out a way to throw a wrench in their works and this is one thing I love about CFB - the chess matches.

Well, they pass well because the Ducks are averaging 8.61 yards/attempt.

meaning, most of their passes are 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Very rarely will you see them throwing a pass 15+ yards down field.

Reminds me of 2005 Texass with Vince Young.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 11:58 PM
How is USC's rush defense suckage?

They are only allowing 128.75 yds/game on the ground. That is 5th best in the PAC and the second best they have faced to date.

Tweeked stat... I've watched some of their games... Stanford rushed for 193 on them, Washington 225:eek: , Virginia 150, Hawaii 129

Washington State, Minnesota, and Cal games helped make their rush defense look better and they're not good teams. Well, Cal isn't complete trash but I doubt SUC limits the Ducks under 150 yards rushing unless Kiffin magically found coaching skills during the bye. Well, his dad is a good defensive coach not Little Lane, so we'll see. It will be a very interesting game. I think it'll be close and an offensive battle. It's really anyones game.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:59 PM
Tweeked stat... I've watched some of their games... Stanford rushed for 193 on them, Washington 225:eek: , Virginia 150, Hawaii 129

Washington State, Minnesota, and Cal games helped make their rush defense look better and they're not good teams. Well, Cal isn't complete trash but I doubt SUC limits the Ducks under 150 yards rushing unless Kiffin magically found coaching skills. Well, his dad is a good defensive coach not Little Lane, so we'll see.

tweeked? It is straight from ncaa.com.

Like I said, Oregon will definitely get their rushing yards.

Okie35
10/28/2010, 12:10 AM
tweeked? It is straight from ncaa.com.

Like I said, Oregon will definitely get their rushing yards.

Like I said, SUCs weakest spot on their defense is their rush defense. The better teams they've played ran all over them. Oregon will do the same. By tweeked I meant the reason why their rush defense looks decent is because of they played Washington State, Cal and Minnesota. Those teams offenses aren't very good period. I mean I could say Oregon might be overrated because they've only played 1 team w/ a winning record, Stanford lol. If you go by stats USC's rush defense is 39th in the country. Oregon's pass defense is at 51.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2010, 12:18 AM
Well, they pass well because the Ducks are averaging 8.61 yards/attempt.

meaning, most of their passes are 5-10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Very rarely will you see them throwing a pass 15+ yards down field.

Reminds me of 2005 Texass with Vince Young.

Just like our running game works pretty well after the passing game is clicking. One opens up the other.

I watched a few of there games and their passes are longer than ours in general and they throw deep outs too. The guy has an arm, but he doesn't seem to lose accuracy after having to run on a few plays. But I'm also impressed the line is pretty good at pass protection - most read options teams I watch are not.

And what was VY holding up after the '05 season? Now, I'm not saying the Ducks win it all because they don't have nearly the D that the '05 horns had.

I detect I have a weird quirk compared to others on this board. I like CFB in general and enjoy watching what other teams and coaches are trying to do.

picasso
10/28/2010, 12:21 AM
tulsa was the first team I can remember that ran the hurry up all game long. They may not be the first though.

Yep, Dave Rader used to run the no-huddle.

Okie35
10/28/2010, 12:24 AM
Just like our running game works pretty well after the passing game is clicking. One opens up the other.

I watched a few of there games and their passes are longer than ours in general and they throw deep outs too. The guy has an arm, but he doesn't seem to lose accuracy after having to run on a few plays. But I'm also impressed the line is pretty good at pass protection - most read options teams I watch are not.

And what was VY holding up after the '05 season? Now, I'm not saying the Ducks win it all because they don't have nearly the D that the '05 horns had.

I detect I have a weird quirk compared to others on this board. I like CFB in general and enjoy watching what other teams and coaches are trying to do.

Not even close. Their defense is pretty weak. 37th rush D, 51st in pass D.

Scott D
10/28/2010, 01:31 AM
I miss not knowing that a 3rd and long by our offense means a 1 yard run up the centers butt.

I want to dispute this part. like the center gets any push...that's a 0 to -1 yard run up the center's butt. ;)

SoonerLB
10/28/2010, 01:54 AM
If KW was inspired to run a 'gimmicky' offense it would be to run the draw play up the center's butt BEFORE the two swing passes, 'cause that's how imaginative he is. ;)

But back to the topic, and it pains me to say this, GO SUC! **** a Duck!

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2010, 02:04 AM
Not even close. Their defense is pretty weak. 37th rush D, 51st in pass D.

Exactly. I'm just saying the ducks are good and fun to watch. I don't feel compelled to point out why all other team in the country suck. I have everyone else on this board to take care of that chore.

Soonerwake
10/28/2010, 07:53 AM

Didn't we have 2 1000 yard rushers in 2008?? Is that not a "dominant run game"?? Maybe I'm missing something... :confused:

TUSooner
10/28/2010, 07:59 AM

I know what you mean. It's like a precision machine with too many delicate moving parts that can break down and stop the whole works, and it has low tolerance for variations. It's like a bazillion dollar jet fighter that gets grounded whenever a bird craps on the windshield. (Yeah, I know it really works better than that.) I'd like to see an offense that works like an old Russian T-34 tank, or an AK-47 - not too sophisicated, but almost indestructible and unstoppable.

cmoneyou
10/28/2010, 08:13 AM
I know what you mean. It's like a precision machine with too many delicate moving parts that can break down and stop the whole works, and it has low tolerance for variations. It's like a bazillion dollar jet fighter that gets grounded whenever a bird craps on the windshield. (Yeah, I know it really works better than that.) I'd like to see an offense that works like an old Russian T-34 tank, or an AK-47 - not too sophisicated, but almost indestructible and unstoppable.

I wish our offense was like a nuke, just haivng it would make other teams quit.

sooneron
10/28/2010, 08:36 AM
Please point out the all world Ds the ducks have played this year.

sooneron
10/28/2010, 08:44 AM
Ooh, let me answer that one for you-

NM - total def rank - 102
Tenn - 88
Portland St - Meh Div whatever!
ASU - 48
Stanford - 58
Wazzu - 120!! Dead LAST
UCLA - 85 (wtg *!)

One team in the top 50. :rolleyes:

SoonerWarMachine#1
10/28/2010, 10:46 AM
If KW was inspired to run a 'gimmicky' offense it would be to run the draw play up the center's butt BEFORE the two swing passes, 'cause that's how imaginative he is. ;)

But back to the topic, and it pains me to say this, GO SUC! **** a Duck!

Quick correction/addition Kdub is that imaginative, sometimes he runs it off tackle. . . just as effectively

85sooners
10/28/2010, 10:49 AM
phuck the ducks:mad:

KantoSooner
10/28/2010, 11:11 AM
Don't rely on anything north or east of oklahoma for football anything. It's a southern sport and people from outside the south eastern quadrant of the country simply don't understand it.

Leave them to men's volleyball.

Okie35
10/28/2010, 11:15 AM
Ooh, let me answer that one for you-

NM - total def rank - 102
Tenn - 88
Portland St - Meh Div whatever!
ASU - 48
Stanford - 58
Wazzu - 120!! Dead LAST
UCLA - 85 (wtg *!)

One team in the top 50. :rolleyes:

:pop: yup and only played 1 team w/ a winning record till this weekend.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/28/2010, 12:09 PM
Didn't we have 2 1000 yard rushers in 2008?? Is that not a "dominant run game"?? Maybe I'm missing something... :confused:

When you can't score from the 1 yard line on 3 successive plays then, no, you don't have a dominant run game.

sooneron
10/28/2010, 12:19 PM
:pop: yup and only played 1 team w/ a winning record till this weekend.

Don't get me wrong, I love to watch their offense, but to make it sound like OU's sputtered against good defenses and theirs does not is laughable. They haven't played a good defense.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 12:20 PM
When you can't score from the 1 yard line on 3 successive plays then, no, you don't have a dominant run game.

Maybe, just maybe, it was the defense?

oumartin
10/28/2010, 12:36 PM
Please point out the all world Ds the ducks have played this year.

You really do have an issue with reading comprehension dont ya.

I never said Oregons won't struggle against a good defense. I personally don't think they will struggle but we shall see.

I said I think it's a better offense then OU ran two years back.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 12:56 PM

I never said Oregons won't struggle against a good defense. I personally don't think they will struggle but we shall see.

Only when it comes to rushing offense.

Comparison:

2008 OU offense (national rank), keep in mind this is all season, not half, & includes NCG:
Rushing: 198.50 (20)
Passing: 349.36 (3)
Total: 547.86 (3)
Scoring: 51.14 (1)
Passing Eff: 176.24 (1)
Fumbles Lost: 2 (tied 1)
INTs thrown: 9 (tied 23)
3rd %: 51.27 (9)
Red Zone Off: 93% (5)

2010 Oregon (national rank), keep in mind this is half of the season their meat of schedule yet to come:
Rushing: 308.47 (3)
Passing: 260.71 (31)
Total: 569.14 (1)
Scoring: 55.14 (1)
Passing Eff: 158.81 (16)
Fumbles Lost: 8 (93)
INTs Thrown: 5 (32)
3rd %: 46.24 (27)
Red Zone Off: 87% (36)

Comparing the entire season for OU to half the season for Oregon, (that has only played 1 team with a winning record to date and 1 top 50 overall defense) I would venture to say OU's offense was far more potent than Oregon's. Oregon only has a slight scoring advantage, that will surely drop in the coming weeks, and a better ground game than OU did in 2008. Though OU did produce 2-1,000 yard rushers in 2008.

Scott D
10/28/2010, 01:01 PM
what is interesting to me at least is that as much as they hype the speed of this Oregon offense, it doesn't run as many plays as our 2008 offense did, in fact, our 2010 offense runs more plays.

Granted part of the reason is that this Oregon offense tends to run around 4-9 plays in a drive usually scoring in less than 2 minutes.

oumartin
10/28/2010, 01:17 PM
I guess I am just partial to a more run oriented offense. after all I am an Oklahoma and a wishbone fan.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:21 PM
I guess I am just partial to a more run oriented offense. after all I am an Oklahoma and a wishbone fan.

when I played cfb as a OT we ran a veer option offense. I love the run and I really wish OU would get back to more power football...but I also love offense and OU uses their passing game as an extended rushing offense. So it all works out in the wash, especially if you have experience and leadership.

Okie35
10/28/2010, 01:25 PM
Only when it comes to rushing offense.

Comparison:

2008 OU offense (national rank), keep in mind this is all season, not half, & includes NCG:
Rushing: 198.50 (20)
Passing: 349.36 (3)
Total: 547.86 (3)
Scoring: 51.14 (1)
Passing Eff: 176.24 (1)
Fumbles Lost: 2 (tied 1)
INTs thrown: 9 (tied 23)
3rd %: 51.27 (9)
Red Zone Off: 93% (5)

2010 Oregon (national rank), keep in mind this is half of the season their meat of schedule yet to come:
Rushing: 308.47 (3)
Passing: 260.71 (31)
Total: 569.14 (1)
Scoring: 55.14 (1)
Passing Eff: 158.81 (16)
Fumbles Lost: 8 (93)
INTs Thrown: 5 (32)
3rd %: 46.24 (27)
Red Zone Off: 87% (36)

Comparing the entire season for OU to half the season for Oregon, (that has only played 1 team with a winning record to date and 1 top 50 overall defense) I would venture to say OU's offense was far more potent than Oregon's. Oregon only has a slight scoring advantage, that will surely drop in the coming weeks, and a better ground game than OU did in 2008. Though OU did produce 2-1,000 yard rushers in 2008.

Yea, and I'm sure we played better defenses in 08 than the Ducks are doing now.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2010, 01:34 PM
Yea, and I'm sure we played better defenses in 08 than the Ducks are doing now.

Not so sure about that regardless of the numbers. The big12 was weak on D in general that year.

stoopified
10/28/2010, 01:47 PM
Just watched a segment on something called The Tony Barnhart Show on CBSCollegeSports wher some fella wrote a book about NCAAF innovation, crediting Oregon on this show for the new fast-paced offense, crowning Chip Kelly as a genius.

:pop:Apparently he missed the 2008 Sam Bradford Sooner offense.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 02:14 PM
Not so sure about that regardless of the numbers. The big12 was weak on D in general that year.

Correct...however, Most of the Big 12 Defenses ranked inside the 50-75 range....right about where the Pac-10's and oregons opponents have this year!

sooneron
10/28/2010, 02:23 PM

And you need to look up the word infer. YWIA. Read your original post.

mightysooner
10/28/2010, 02:23 PM

Wouldn't call our offense "gimmicky". I'd call it "masking". Our offense is designed to mask our deficiencies. Can't run the ball or go vertical? Quick flat passes, bubbles screens, and short slants. Can't line up and beat people on the line of scrimmage with your O-line? Go hurry up so they can't get set or get their defensive plays called in from the sidelines causing confusion. Is that bad? No. Is it a band aid? Yes. Look at how bad production drops off when they come out of the hurry up. It's stagnant.

On Oregon's offense, it just looks like the old Rich Rod offense from WV almost identically.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 02:25 PM
Mighty, what deficiency did we cover up on offense in 2008?

mightysooner
10/28/2010, 02:34 PM
Mighty, what deficiency did we cover up on offense in 2008?

I'm talking specifically about our current offense.

oumartin
10/28/2010, 02:37 PM
Apparently he missed the 2008 Sam Bradford Sooner offense.

The two games ou was judged on that season were losses.

goingoneight
10/28/2010, 11:26 PM

Call me when Oregon plays a "good" defense. We sputtered against the best defense in the country that year. Same way Chris Weinke sputtered against OU's defense. I would credit UF's defense as being great in that game.

SoonerPr8r
11/2/2010, 11:15 AM
"The Blur" vs The Hurry-up from TMQ
Oregon Isn't the Only College Using the Blur Offense: TMQ noted a month ago that Division III Amherst College, an elite academic college, operates a blur offense quite like Oregon's. Saturday, Amherst put up 10 touchdowns with a time of possession of just 26:26, besting Tufts University, 70-49. Tufts gained 671 yards on offense and lost by 21 points! Tufts merely used a no-huddle hurry-up, not a blur, and that was the difference.

Because of the very rapid pace, Tufts had 17 possessions and ran a stunning 111 offensive plays -- in its victory over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday, the New England Patriots had 10 possessions and 54 offensive plays. But Tufts scored just seven touchdowns, to 10 for Amherst: only seven touchdowns, what's the matter with those Jumbos? In the third quarter, Amherst ran four snaps for a touchdown in 0:32; 10 snaps for a touchdown in 3:08; six snaps for a touchdown in 1:29; 10 snaps for a touchdown in 2:46. And the Amherst attack wasn't pass wacky; rather, like the Oregon blur offense, it was mainly ground-based -- Amherst rushed 55 times, attempted 31 passes. The hard-to-believe stats are here.

bluedogok
11/2/2010, 12:34 PM
Sam Wyche tried to run a no huddle/hurry up offense in the NFL in the mid-80's with the Bengals, the NFL instituted some rules at the time to slow them down one of which remains in place with substitution rules...it reminded me some of the officials calling ghost fouls in OU basketball games around the same time to slow the tempo down.

Iam4OUru
11/2/2010, 09:18 PM

:)

1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

2. a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.

3. a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.

ashley
11/3/2010, 07:39 AM
Art Briles was running this stuff at Stephenville in 1994.

SoonerPr8r
11/3/2010, 09:30 AM
Gayturds are being "innovative" too!
http://sports.ap.org/college-football/story?id=p49c69fb7a6b844ba9d9b71014ca521f7