PDA

View Full Version : Eric Martin Suspended...opinion asked.

BigRedTradition
10/27/2010, 05:58 PM
Hi there. If you haven't heard, the Big 12 suspended Eric Martin for the Mizzou game this weekend...just announced.

Anyway, I wanted to get more of an unbiased opinion as to whether you think it was an illegal hit or not. To me, it's difficult to tell if the helmet touched or not, at least from the angle. Anyway, count me as one who thinks it was a legal hit.

Just wondering your opinion here. Thanks, and good luck Saturday! :)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5qRVeRMhso?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_5qRVeRMhso?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5qRVeRMhso

sooner518
10/27/2010, 06:20 PM
whoa. that looks like pretty textbook spearing to the head. what looks legal about that?

okierider
10/27/2010, 06:22 PM
I watched that game and seen that hit live . It was a bad hit ,he aimed for the other kids head, plain and simple. I have no problem with football players playing hard and sometimes in the heat of the moment a bad hit happens , but if the player is going out and trying to hurt another player he needs to pay the price for his actions.
BigRed you need to clean your corn colored glasses and look at that hit because it is apparent your football player is head hunting LOL . But I ,being a Sooner fan, tend to see what I want when it comes to my team LOL
Your a good Husker fan keep it up!!!!! Boomer!!

CrimsonJim
10/27/2010, 06:26 PM
When I saw the hit during the game, I didn't think it was "illegal". An unnecessary cheap shot, yes, but illegal, no.

Now having watched the video, I have to change my opinion. It was an unnecessary ILLEGAL cheap shot. You can clearly see the helmet to helmet hit as Hudson's head snapped back. There was no call to hit him at all, let alone like that.

BigRedTradition
10/27/2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks. That's why I asked here. Sometimes it can be difficult to know if one is being biased or not, but I knew I could count on you guys to give me your honest opinion.

Thanks! :)

cmoneyou
10/27/2010, 06:53 PM
When I saw the hit during the game, I didn't think it was "illegal". An unnecessary cheap shot, yes, but illegal, no.

Now having watched the video, I have to change my opinion. It was an unnecessary ILLEGAL cheap shot. You can clearly see the helmet to helmet hit as Hudson's head snapped back. There was no call to hit him at all, let alone like that.

There is a rule that says no unnecessary roughness. Would if fit in that category?

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2010, 06:59 PM
That was BAD! I'm glad they caught it in the video so they could hand out the well deserved suspension. They have a rule in the NFL of targeting players away from the play, but I don't know if that's in colllege ball. Regardless of whether it's a flag or not, targeting the head like that cannot be tolerated in any situation.

StoopTroup
10/27/2010, 07:03 PM
Bad hit. One of our guys got penalized during the Mizzou game and then had another hit leading with his head later that put him out for a few plays. That was a "What comes around goes around" kind of thing. I hate hearing NU has to suspend him for this game but bottomline...it looks like a bad hit to me.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 07:11 PM
At first I thought I was a good hit leading with the shoulder.

However, the more I look at it, he was targeting that player, which is illegal.

The suspension is justified.

Boomer.....
10/27/2010, 07:15 PM
I also saw it live. Completely uncalled for and illegal. Suspension is justified.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 07:18 PM
I'm just glad Quinton didn't get the same punishment. I guess they figured he'd learned his lesson when he went out.

StoopTroup
10/27/2010, 07:21 PM
I'm just glad Quinton didn't get the same punishment. I guess they figured he'd learned his lesson when he went out.

Was thinking the same thing.

fadada1
10/27/2010, 07:22 PM
questionable hit, no doubt. illegal... possibly. imo, the thing that got him suspended was the muscle "flexing" just after the hit. had he not stopped to showboat and just moved on the continue the play, no suspension. just an observation and opinion.

Chiliman
10/27/2010, 07:25 PM
Bad hit, suspension warranted. I still remember that cheap shot on Austin Box's knee @ stool water in '08. Damian Davis clearly went for Box's knee from his blind side as the play was ending. Looks like the same play, intent wise, but @ the player's head. I'm as old school as they come but there's no place for that crap in this great game.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2010, 07:30 PM
I don't believe the flexing/show boating had anything to do with it. The rule is called "flagrant foul" and I can't imagine something being more flagrant. You could certainly call unsportsmans-like conduct on the "flexing", but there is no rule covering video replay of that foul.

tcrb
10/27/2010, 07:37 PM
Looked illegal to me....and cheap. Hope he takes this lesson seriously and learns from it. Could have been a real bad ending.

fadada1
10/27/2010, 07:37 PM
I don't believe the flexing/show boating had anything to do with it. The rule is called "flagrant foul" and I can't imagine something being more flagrant. You could certainly call unsportsmans-like conduct on the "flexing", but there is no rule covering video replay of that foul.
maybe, but he did draw attention to himself. had he let it alone, it would've just been "flagrant" and nothing more. did the refs throw him out of the game? or did the big12 review after the game? my thought after seeing the hit was that his "unsportsmanlike" conduct may have been the reason for review and subsequent suspension.

BoulderSooner79
10/27/2010, 08:11 PM
maybe, but he did draw attention to himself. had he let it alone, it would've just been "flagrant" and nothing more. did the refs throw him out of the game? or did the big12 review after the game? my thought after seeing the hit was that his "unsportsmanlike" conduct may have been the reason for review and subsequent suspension.

I can't read minds, but the only way you could say show boating had anything to do with it is if you could dispute it was flagrant. The rule:

The Journal-Star reported on Wednesday that Martin's suspension, for his hit on Oklahoma State's Andrew Hudson where he was ruled to have led with his helmet, was levied due to Rule 9-6-3.

The rule states that if a review of a game by conference officials reveals a flagrant personal foul that is not called during the game, the conference has the power to impose penalties prior to the next scheduled game.

I read that as saying the conference thought the refs should have thrown him out of the game. But since they missed it, they will suspend him for the next one. I can't imagine the same hit w/o the after-prance would have been judged differently - not if I were conference official.

redkid
10/27/2010, 08:30 PM
Nothing less than a thugging,,suspension warranted,,no place for actions like that,,that was a malicious premeditated hit to purposely hurt someone,,he should be suspended for the remainder of the season,,,sorry if that sounds to harsh but that hit could have seriously hurt or even God forbid killed that young man( broken neck,brain damage etc) as much as I hate the fighting gundys, for us that have son's put them in that poor kids shoes and thats all i gotta say about that...

OUthunder
10/27/2010, 08:36 PM
Easy call, it was a bad hit as he was targeting the players head while using his helmet as a weapon. I wish that the penalty for this was to let the other team drill the original hitter blind sided like this to give them a taste of their own medicine.

I watched that game and NU took a LOT of cheap shots at oSu players throughout the game. Pelini is a ****in thug and I'm glad that his stay in Norman was one and done. NU and him deserve one another as he is a milder version of Les Miles.

King Barry's Back
10/27/2010, 08:43 PM
Nothing less than a thugging,,suspension warranted,,no place for actions like that,,that was a malicious premeditated hit to purposely hurt someone,,he should be suspended for the remainder of the season,,,sorry if that sounds to harsh but that hit could have seriously hurt or even God forbid killed that young man( broken neck,brain damage etc) as much as I hate the fighting gundys, for us that have son's put them in that poor kids shoes and thats all i gotta say about that...

Yeah, multi-game suspension was warranted. That was one of the most egregious fouls I ever seen, and I've watched a lot of football.

47straight
10/27/2010, 09:09 PM
BigRedTradition, it's no worse than what UT did to Potts of TTech last year, and yeah, it deserves a suspension.

olevetonahill
10/27/2010, 09:20 PM
Ima watch it some more But I saw the dude leading with his shoulder and then the Helmits smack . Coulda hurt either one, But I cant see it it being a Bad Hit On purpose deal .:pop:

Okie35
10/27/2010, 09:28 PM

The crazy thing is I've seen Blake Gideon do worse than Carter and Martin and he only got flagged for "targeting". When a Rice player was going to the ground he darted at his helmet like a high speed bullet.

TrophyCollector
10/27/2010, 09:35 PM
Dirtier than Ron Jeremy.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 10:04 PM
The crazy thing is I've seen Blake Gideon do worse than Carter and Martin and he only got flagged for "targeting". When a Rice player was going to the ground he darted at his helmet like a high speed bullet.

Yeah, but * guys can do whatever they want.

Wishboned
10/27/2010, 10:07 PM
Looked illegal to me....and cheap. Hope he takes this lesson seriously and learns from it. Could have been a real bad ending.

After watching him laughing and joking around on the sideline afterwards, when they were loading up that poor kid on the cart, I'm kind of doubting that.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, but * guys can do whatever they want.

So true.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/27/2010, 10:21 PM
Martin should be suspended in my opinion.

olevetonahill
10/27/2010, 11:11 PM
Just re-watched it 22 mo times . Dude lead with his Shoulder and the helmets smacked .

unbiasedtruth
10/27/2010, 11:14 PM
I saw it live and thought he had every intent to hurt the other player with his hit.... definitely spearing... remined me of Manny Johnson in the last Orange Bowl when he was speared early in the game by the Gator safety trying to catc the pass down the sidelines.

then when the cameras panned the Husker sideline and found him and another player yucking it up, laughing, cutting up, making fun of the hurt player on the ground I started wondering why the Husker wasnt ejected from the game....

thats what got me, no remorse.... I say sit him for the season....

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 11:16 PM
I saw it live and thought he had every intent to hurt the other player with his hit.... definitely spearing... remined me of Manny Johnson in the last Orange Bowl when he was speared early in the game by the Gator safety trying to catc the pass down the sidelines.

then when the cameras panned the Husker sideline and found him and another player yucking it up, laughing, cutting up, making fun of the hurt player on the ground I started wondering why the Husker wasnt ejected from the game....

When I played, I tried to hurt the other player I was blocking...but only by legal means.

I never got called for a flagrant penalty like that. No personal fouls or spearing penalties.

Besides, when I played, we were taught good form and technique. To hit with your head up, wrap up, and drive through.

bmjlr
10/28/2010, 08:07 AM
Would this have even been reviewed if it wasn't for the NFL bringing awareness to this in the news? He deserves to be suspeneded, but I don't think it is even reviewed without all the media attention on the helmet hits now. When was the last time a player was suspended for this? I can't recall one, but I have only a 48 hour memory.

cmoneyou
10/28/2010, 08:16 AM
Would this have even been reviewed if it wasn't for the NFL bringing awareness to this in the news? He deserves to be suspeneded, but I don't think it is even reviewed without all the media attention on the helmet hits now. When was the last time a player was suspended for this? I can't recall one, but I have only a 48 hour memory.

I hope the NFL caused a little bit of a trickle down effect. If you haven't already, go read some of the articles about the long lasting effects of football on the brain. It doesn't matter where the pressure is coming from, any reduction in head injuries from hits will be a good thing.

StatesEye
10/28/2010, 08:20 AM

This is what got to me, too. This young man could have seriously been screwed up for life. Football comes with many risks.....very rough sport. However, the total lack of empathy and concern (actually down right glee) of the Husker player when it was still uncertain that the OSU player was or was not seriously (perhaps life threatening) injured was very disturbing.

CrimsonJim
10/28/2010, 08:48 AM
Just re-watched it 22 mo times . Dude lead with his Shoulder and the helmets smacked .

Case closed. Da Vet hath spoken.

bmjlr
10/28/2010, 08:49 AM
I hope the NFL caused a little bit of a trickle down effect. If you haven't already, go read some of the articles about the long lasting effects of football on the brain. It doesn't matter where the pressure is coming from, any reduction in head injuries from hits will be a good thing.

I agree 100%...it is a good thing, but last year or two years ago...it may get you a flag, but rarely suspended. I agree with his suspension and think it should be more than one game.

CrimsonJim
10/28/2010, 08:57 AM

Yeah, whether it was illegal or not (and it was), it was a cheap shot and the Cornyuckers laughing it up on the sideline was really schitty to say the least. Illegal hits are bad enough, but it's always pissed me off when cheap shots are taken on players that no longer have an effect on the play.

85sooners
10/28/2010, 10:42 AM
:eek:

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2010, 11:19 AM
Too bad we don't have the video of Eric Martin's reaction to being suspended. Maybe a bit different than the sideline revelry?

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 11:35 AM
Too bad we don't have the video of Eric Martin's reaction to being suspended. Maybe a bit different than the sideline revelry?

I forgot about that. That right there might be exactly why he got the suspension as it didn't look like he thought anything really bad had just happened. I love Football as it is a violent Sport but when you hurt another Human...it's probably best to show some sort of remorse.

Growing up, I had a Teacher that had boxed when he was younger and had killed someone in the ring. He quit boxing and changed his life to helping people and teaching kids. Our society has changed considerably over the last few decades. This suspension probably isn't as much a punishment as it is a wake-up call for every in College Football. The rise of these kind of hits are under the microscope right now.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/28/2010, 12:51 PM

Bullshat. He ducked his shoulder so as to increase the surface area of the hit from the crown area above his right ear down to his right elbow. Go frame by frame. The helmets hit first. The oSu player's head lurches back before the rest of his upper body in the shoulder pad area fully absorbs the hit and gets knocked backwards as well. He did use his helmet as part of his upper body weapon (the "shield"). A personal foul call is warranted.

Players aren't to use the helmet as a weapon at all. And while the oSu player wasn't really in a "defenseless" position, a hit executed with that particular technique (the shield instead of punching and extending, which would have been more than enough to slobberknock the guy out of the play) with such viciousness on a player that doesn't see you coming really should fall under "unnecessary roughness." Bottom line the NU guy was clearly going for the highlight clip knockout, not just a good block.

But either way, I don't agree with the suspension solely for that. If the Big XII determined his sportsmanship, or lack thereof in the process of thuggin' it up, was so blatently poor following the hit and that was part and parcel of the decision to suspend him, then the Big XII needs to come out and add that to the statement.

Huskerballz
10/28/2010, 01:58 PM
Wow, bunch of nancies in this thread. Can't wait for football to switch to two hand touch.

Rewatch the play again, he's clearly leading with his shoulder and just makes a fantastic hit on a player that wasn't keeping his head on a swivel (which is what you should do when playing special teams, there's blocks coming from everywhere). Hard "legal" hits like this one are what make college football exciting.

You can use your husker hatred all you want to make it seem like this kid is a thug who was intentionally trying to hurt the Okie St. player, but it wouldn't be true. There was such impact from Martin running at the Okie State player that the force of his shoulder brought his head forward and very light contact with the helmet was made.

Had the Okie State been paying attention and not trotting down the field in la la land, he could've cushioned Martin's block. I just find it absurd that textbook blocking like this gets a player suspended now. It's sad.

And don't tell me that if an Oklahoma player laid the same hit, you'd be calling it dirty and head-hunting. Because you wouldn't.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/28/2010, 02:07 PM
you think anybody on this board would take up for an osu player getting his clock cleaned because a husker did it? sorry your at the wrong place.

you would seem to think that we hate the huskers here, but the attitude is more "we don't care" than hatred...

now the folks down at Austin..the ones you've failed to beat over and over again...they hate you

NormanPride
10/28/2010, 02:21 PM
We're calling out Carter on the hit he put on the Mizzou kid, and it was much milder than this. Huskers have lost a lot of respect from me under Pellini.

trpltongue
10/28/2010, 03:13 PM
It's obvious he lead with his head and that the OSU player is hit in the helmet first. The only thing even remotely debateable is whether or not he hit with the facemask or the crown of the helmet. I can't post pictures but I have a series of 4 frames immediately before the hit that clearly show the OSU player getting hit in the HEAD first, then body. You could *maybe* argue that it was simultaneous contact, but nevertheless, the NU player targeted the head.

If he had simply hit with his forearms or shoulder into the numbers it would not even be an issue, just an awesome block. But instead he targeted the head and celebrated on the sidelines while the injured player was being worked on. Definition of classless.

GimmeRed
10/28/2010, 06:59 PM
Interesting thoughts here.

I'm not sure your coach would agree with every thing said here though.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/blogs/blog.aspx?blogid=12#9826

trpltongue
10/29/2010, 06:50 AM
Except that Stoops hasn't actually seen the hit. It was described to him as a "blindside hit on a kickoff return". That's a heckuva lot different than "a defender launching headfirst into the blindside of an offensive players helmet." The hit on Trey Millard was clean. The guy kept his head up and his facemask hit Millards shoulder / helmet area. Totally different.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 08:52 AM
We now have another Referee Penalty added to the Sport we all love to argue about. Thing is the penalty on the field now includes a possible penalty that might keep a player out for as long as the guy he hurt stays out.

I think taking this seriously is a good thing but does it seem like it's being enforced on the field without much pre-season talk about Game Suspensions also being enforced? Just saying...are the Refs and the Media now making a big deal out of it as it happens or were the players informed well enough that they should have understood the consequences? Was the Pre-Season talk enough to give everyone a wake up call?

tfoolry
10/29/2010, 09:14 AM
Wow, bunch of nancies in this thread. Can't wait for football to switch to two hand touch.

Rewatch the play again, he's clearly leading with his shoulder and just makes a fantastic hit on a player that wasn't keeping his head on a swivel (which is what you should do when playing special teams, there's blocks coming from everywhere). Hard "legal" hits like this one are what make college football exciting.

You can use your husker hatred all you want to make it seem like this kid is a thug who was intentionally trying to hurt the Okie St. player, but it wouldn't be true. There was such impact from Martin running at the Okie State player that the force of his shoulder brought his head forward and very light contact with the helmet was made.

Had the Okie State been paying attention and not trotting down the field in la la land, he could've cushioned Martin's block. I just find it absurd that textbook blocking like this gets a player suspended now. It's sad.

And don't tell me that if an Oklahoma player laid the same hit, you'd be calling it dirty and head-hunting. Because you wouldn't.

The poke was running forward, looking downfield & covering his lane when jack-nuts snuck up on him from the side, knew the poke didn't see him & went for the knock-out blow to the head. His total intent was to be on ESPN highlights and the flexing afterwards & laughing as the guy was carted off the field validates his thuggery. Now this is an example of a clean, hard hit on a player that knows it's coming...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn44lp1BGuo

Okie35
10/29/2010, 09:39 AM
The poke was running forward, looking downfield & covering his lane when jack-nuts snuck up on him from the side, knew the poke didn't see him & went for the knock-out blow to the head. His total intent was to be on ESPN highlights and the flexing afterwards & laughing as the guy was carted off the field validates his thuggery. Now this is an example of a clean, hard hit on a player that knows it's coming...

I don't know about thuggery but it definitely has no place on a football field and is very unsportsmanlike. Barnes (in that video) shouldn't have celebrated right after the hit though lol, the play wasn't over. Its funny how times have changed now, that would've been flagged as "taunting" in todays game.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 09:43 AM

It was a nice hit.

olevetonahill
10/29/2010, 09:57 AM
Its amazing to me how all of us can look at the same Vid and see 2 different things. Oda can kiss my *** . But I see the Dude clearly leading with his Shoulder and then the Helmets Make contact, Regardless, The kid was suspended. Im Like Coach Stoops , Lets get some clarity on the rule before another game is played ;)

Crucifax Autumn
10/29/2010, 09:59 AM
I say they should have daggers sticking straight up from the crown of the helmet so it will be perfectly clear if they lead with the helmet when the opposing player is impaled.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 10:08 AM
Here's a good hit too. :D

we1pHJvaKqk

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2010, 10:16 AM
Actually, I'm not sure that hockey hit is legal anymore. There was recent change on going to the head there too (the old "Scott Stevens" hit). But I couldn't tell from the video if he hit his head. The announcer said "in the jaw", but it wasn't clear to me.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 10:17 AM
Actually, I'm not sure that hockey hit is legal anymore. There was recent change on going to the head there too (the old "Scott Stevens" hit). But I couldn't tell from the video if he hit his head. The announcer said "in the jaw", but it wasn't clear to me.

Yeah...I'm pretty sure your right. They discuss the ruling as it was then...in that bit too.

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2010, 10:27 AM
Its amazing to me how all of us can look at the same Vid and see 2 different things. Oda can kiss my *** . But I see the Dude clearly leading with his Shoulder and then the Helmets Make contact, Regardless, The kid was suspended. Im Like Coach Stoops , Lets get some clarity on the rule before another game is played ;)

I think we see the same thing, Vet. To me whether he hit shoulder first is not relevant here - he intentionally targeted very high away from the play. Players are accountable to control their bodies/helmets and going high risks helmet to helmet and the refs can't read minds. What I don't get from the video is how far away from the ball his happened. In the NFL, if it is far enough away that there is no way to consider the block needed it's a flag (and a fine). This rule went in because some teams tried to KO the QB as soon as a ball was intercepted or KO the punter or kicker right after a punt or kickoff. The league decided no "free shots" unless the player was really trying to make a tackle. But it's not just QBs and kickers, they started protecting all players after Warren Sapp blind-sided that Packer lineman far away from the play and put him in the hospital.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 10:32 AM
I think we see the same thing, Vet. To me whether he hit shoulder first is not relevant here - he intentionally targeted very high away from the play. Players are accountable to control their bodies/helmets and going high risks helmet to helmet and the refs can't read minds. What I don't get from the video is how far away from the ball his happened. In the NFL, if it is far enough away that there is no way to consider the block needed it's a flag (and a fine). This rule went in because some teams tried to KO the QB as soon as a ball was intercepted or KO the punter or kicker right after a punt or kickoff. The league decided no "free shots" unless the player was really trying to make a tackle. But it's not just QBs and kickers, they started protecting all players after Warren Sapp blind-sided that Packer lineman far away from the play and put him in the hospital.

They are gonna need more Refs and they'll need to rule the perfect amount of TV Cameras to cover the entire playing field during these games to pick it all up on replay.

Look at how bad the coverage was for the OU/Mizzou game or anytime we're on FSSW. Now talk about the other 120 teams that a good portion of them don't get any kind of coverage.

This hit by Martin got attention because of the TV coverage and the following suspension. Quincy's hit in the Mizzou game got nothing. I'm glad it didn't as his hit later really might have changed his mind on how he hits folks.

Just sayin'...

soonerboy_odanorth
10/29/2010, 10:39 AM

You've been drinkin' too much of your home brew and are blind as a bat, you old fool. Slow it down frame by frame. If you don't know how to do that then have somebody run your mouse for you instead of you runnin' your mouth.

The Barnes hit in 1990 is the perfect counterbalance to this hit. THAT, is leading with your shoulder. And 100% contact was made with Barnes's shoulder.

But I'm ok if you don't see it my way, because yours is such a pretty *** to kiss! Now if we can just get a bag over that messed up grill of yours it should all be good. :D ;)

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2010, 10:50 AM
They are gonna need more Refs and they'll need to rule the perfect amount of TV Cameras to cover the entire playing field during these games to pick it all up on replay.

Look at how bad the coverage was for the OU/Mizzou game or anytime we're on FSSW. Now talk about the other 120 teams that a good portion of them don't get any kind of coverage.

This hit by Martin got attention because of the TV coverage and the following suspension. Quincy's hit in the Mizzou game got nothing. I'm glad it didn't as his hit later really might have changed his mind on how he hits folks.

Just sayin'...

The hit by Martin got attention only because it was on video and the conference suspension rule states that (it could not be on hearsay). I don't expect more cameras or refs to try to catch this and hopefully this is pretty rare. I'm sure plenty of stuff will escape the cameras.

Carters' hit was not the same thing. He was tackling the ball carrier, not blind-siding someone away from the play. He was correctly flagged for targeting, but not for flagrant foul. I'm sure it was reviewed by the conference as all the targeting plays are going to be in the video since many cameras will follow the ball.

olevetonahill
10/29/2010, 10:53 AM
You've been drinkin' too much of your home brew and are blind as a bat, you old fool. Slow it down frame by frame. If you don't know how to do that then have somebody run your mouse for you instead of you runnin' your mouth.

The Barnes hit in 1990 is the perfect counterbalance to this hit. THAT, is leading with your shoulder. And 100% contact was made with Barnes's shoulder.

But I'm ok if you don't see it my way, because yours is such a pretty *** to kiss! Now if we can just get a bag over that messed up grill of yours it should all be good. :D ;)

Up Yers.Glad to see yer Mature enough to disagree with me with out resorting to Name calling :rolleyes:

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 10:58 AM
The hit by Martin got attention only because it was on video and the conference suspension rule states that (it could not be on hearsay). I don't expect more cameras or refs to try to catch this and hopefully this is pretty rare. I'm sure plenty of stuff will escape the cameras.

Carters' hit was not the same thing. He was tackling the ball carrier, not blind-siding someone away from the play. He was correctly flagged for targeting, but not for flagrant foul. I'm sure it was reviewed by the conference as all the targeting plays are going to be in the video since many cameras will follow the ball.

Not cameras to catch anything about that game...cameras at all games so the Conferences can review all of these hits. Again my concern is that they aren't responding to suspension in order to protect these kids...they are responding because he got hurt.

That's the deal too....there isn't any way the conferences are going to cover them all. They are covering their *** is all.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/29/2010, 11:40 AM
Up Yers.Glad to see yer Mature enough to disagree with me with out resorting to Name calling :rolleyes:

*SMOOCHES*

(pssst. the whole post was ;) )

BoulderSooner79
10/29/2010, 02:12 PM
Not cameras to catch anything about that game...cameras at all games so the Conferences can review all of these hits. Again my concern is that they aren't responding to suspension in order to protect these kids...they are responding because he got hurt.

That's the deal too....there isn't any way the conferences are going to cover them all. They are covering their *** is all.

I think it's just speculating about the player being hurt. Just me, but if I'm reviewing that play on behalf of the conference, it's an easy call and I don't care the poke player jumps up and does back flips. I also don't see the problem with the fact they can't catch them all - sports is always that way. The suspension is a message to all players as much as punishment to the offending player. You don't get free shots and you are not in the clear just because the ref isn't looking - you have to luck out with the cameras too. I've seen players do cheap stuff in all sports because they can see the ref is looking elsewhere - this adds a strong deterrent because they can't know where all the cameras are focused.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 02:15 PM
I think it's just speculating about the player being hurt. Just me, but if I'm reviewing that play on behalf of the conference, it's an easy call and I don't care the poke player jumps up and does back flips. I also don't see the problem with the fact they can't catch them all - sports is always that way. The suspension is a message to all players as much as punishment to the offending player. You don't get free shots and you are not in the clear just because the ref isn't looking - you have to luck out with the cameras too. I've seen players do cheap stuff in all sports because they can see the ref is looking elsewhere - this adds a strong deterrent because they can't know where all the cameras are focused.

It is the cheap way for the Conference to let the players know how they are gonna roll on the hits. It's doesn't really fit with the College Coaches lashback of players saying...."Don't put it on us...it's how we were Coached".

College coaches have been watching closely as the NFL has cracked down on dangerous tackles and helmet hits. They've heard some of the league's defensive stars complain that they're just playing the way they've always played.

And they have a reply: Don't blame us.

"I only know how I've taught kids my whole life. I've never told anyone to leave their feet, lead with their head. I just never have. I've never taught anyone to do anything that's illegal, that's not in the rule book. I was never taught that, and I've been playing a long time," said Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, who was a longtime NFL assistant before taking the top job with his alma mater.

GimmeRed
10/29/2010, 04:23 PM

I hope you are not insinuating that Martin was targeting someone not in play.

The ball was still in the air when he hit him and he landed on the hashmark on the side that the ball was kicked to.

If you watch the video from behind you can clearly see the ref in the end zone start the clock after the hit.

CowboyMRW
10/29/2010, 04:52 PM
I hope you are not insinuating that Martin was targeting someone not in play.

The ball was still in the air when he hit him and he landed on the hashmark on the side that the ball was kicked to.

If you watch the video from behind you can clearly see the ref in the end zone start the clock after the hit.

The ball was not in the air when the hit occurred. I was at the game and Hudson got hit right in front of me across the field. Niles was at about the 40 when the hit occurred. That's what the biggest uproar is, that he targeted a player way away from the play and then strutted around like a big shot

GimmeRed
10/29/2010, 05:27 PM
The ball was not in the air when the hit occurred. I was at the game and Hudson got hit right in front of me across the field. Niles was at about the 40 when the hit occurred. That's what the biggest uproar is, that he targeted a player way away from the play and then strutted around like a big shot

I'm sorry but you are just wrong. Watch again. The dude is laid out on the 30 when Paul runs by. Watch from 1:45 in. Martin levels the guy and the and the Referee winds the clock signaling the ball has just been touched.

I'm not saying it was a good hit but I've seen many much more flagrant hits that have not drawn any outrage.

Mr. Nuke
10/29/2010, 11:20 PM
I'm sorry but you are just wrong. Watch again. The dude is laid out on the 30 when Paul runs by. Watch from 1:45 in. Martin levels the guy and the and the Referee winds the clock signaling the ball has just been touched.

I'm not saying it was a good hit but I've seen many much more flagrant hits that have not drawn any outrage.
Yeah you can also see it about :10 seconds into the video with Paul at about the 25 yard line. Martin is already back on his feet and has turned around (at least 5 seconds after the hit was initiated).