PDA

View Full Version : Jeremiah Masoli

boomersooner28
10/26/2010, 10:41 PM
Someone fill me in. I know he was Oregon's QB. I know he is a punk. He got arrested more than once, I believe, and it seemed as if the last straw at Oregon was him beating up his girlfriend or something??? Anywho, how does this punk get to transfer directly to another D-1 school and play immediately? He is starting at Ole Miss. No wonder these kids think they are invincible.

Cornfed
10/26/2010, 10:42 PM
The schools played along and gave him a letter of release.

jkjsooner
10/26/2010, 10:51 PM
Actually a letter of release by itself won't allow Masoli to play immediately.

In his case, he had already graduated from Oregon. If you go to graduate school in a program that your university of origin does not offer, then you can transfer without sitting out a year.

Masoli picked a graduate degree that Ole Miss offers that Oregon does not offer. I think i was park management or something stupid like that.

It's a good policy as it allows exceptional students to continue playing while pursuing the advanced degree of their choice. Let's say you went to OSU but then wanted to go to law school. You can transfer to a school that has a law school.

It can be used as a loophole by guys like Masoli/Nutt.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:52 PM
Here is the simple answer...if there is such a thing when talking about the NCAA Rules:

After speaking to unnamed Academic Advisor at a Division One School who has handled waivers such as Jeremiah Masoli’s in the past, the rules seem rather simple (at least when it comes to NCAA rules).

First off, Masoli would have to graduate with his bachelors from Oregon, which he is on pace to do. Secondly, a waiver would have to be sent to the NCAA where he requests the transfer for “academic reasons” - the key one being Louisiana Tech offers a master’s program that Oregon does not. The “Taylor Bennett” rule (for Louisiana Tech fans) where it was automatically accepted is no longer on the books. The waiver must now be approved. Next, a graduate program would have to “accept” him at Louisiana Tech before the waiver can be filed. This is usually not an issue. But once again it must be a grad program that Oregon does not offer. Fortunately for Tech, the off the field issues are not taken into account by the NCAA academic review board in the waiver. It is not even mentioned. The review is strictly academic. Several players who have been kicked off a team and then graduate each year are given this wavier. A prime example is Kenneth Cooper from Louisiana Tech to UAB. Finally, since he has graduated he does not affect the APR of Louisiana Tech whatsoever.

Inside the numbers game with Masoli and the NCAA

Masoli graduated high school in May 2006 where he finished as a late qualifier out of high school, so he sat out the 2006 season and eventually did make the grades for the clearing house. Since he did this, he was able to only play one year at City College of San Fransisco in 2007 and sign with Oregon in 2008. He played for Oregon in 2008 and 2009 while never using a redshirt year. As a result of not using a redshirt year, Masoli has has two years to play one. In other words, he can use his redshirt year and still play the following year.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=rivals-384409

Tigeman
10/26/2010, 10:55 PM
Masoli still had eligibility and he had graduated undergrad. You can transfer to another school FOR GRAD SCHOOL w/o sitting out a year IF the degree your pursuing at the transfer school is not offered at the first school.

In other words, the degree that Masoli is pursuing at Ole Miss is not available at Oregon. They first denied it, but the appeal was approved.

boomersooner28
10/26/2010, 10:56 PM
The schools played along and gave him a letter of release.

I peemed you

Tigeman
10/26/2010, 10:58 PM
Be happy though....maybe Masoli will pull out some miracle and knock off auburn for us.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:58 PM
Masoli still had eligibility and he had graduated undergrad. You can transfer to another school FOR GRAD SCHOOL w/o sitting out a year IF the degree your pursuing at the transfer school is not offered at the first school.

In other words, the degree that Masoli is pursuing at Ole Miss is not available at Oregon. They first denied it, but the appeal was approved.

It wouldnt have matter anyway. I thinkhe still had 2 years to play one season. So he could have redshirted if need be.

Had he had only one year to play the season, then he would have been screwed if they denied him.

Sooner13
10/26/2010, 11:11 PM
It wouldnt have matter anyway. I thinkhe still had 2 years to play one season. So he could have redshirted if need be.

Had he had only one year to play the season, then he would have been screwed if they denied him.

Kinda like mike balogun in a way, except he did get screwed

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 12:07 AM
Kinda like mike balogun in a way, except he did get screwed

Not at all like Mike Balogun. Mike Balogun may have gotten screwed, but he also was the one playing in a rec league (i wont call it semi-pro since they have to pay to play).

The NCAA did not want to listen to the evidence that was in favor of Balogun.

Masoli, well, he got kicked off the team. Then transferred using the, "oregon doesnt offer what I am going to graduate school for" card.

We all know why Masoli transferred, it was because he got kicked from the team...had he not, he would be starting in Autzen this season.

But, since there is a loophole, then he got away with it....I wouldnt even compare it to Mike Balogun's situation.

SoonerLB
10/27/2010, 04:52 AM
Park Management? Keep your eyes on those laptops when you go to the park boys . . . . . jus' sayin' . . . . . ;)

jkjsooner
10/27/2010, 05:53 AM

He graduated from Oregon in 3 years while playing football? Gotta say that is impressive.

yermom
10/27/2010, 06:23 AM
his vs. Cam Newton is kinda funny

Widescreen
10/27/2010, 07:01 AM
his vs. Cam Newton is kinda funny

Yep. You can bet laptops will be secured that weekend.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 07:41 AM
I'll even hide my pc in the closet if those two are ever in town.

sooner518
10/27/2010, 09:36 AM
There was an SI article a few months back talking about Masoli. Sounded like some pretty shady cops to me, though Masoli certainly didnt help by lying numerous times. I dont think the guy is necessarily as big of a scumbag as he's made out to be.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 10:51 AM
There was an SI article a few months back talking about Masoli. Sounded like some pretty shady cops to me, though Masoli certainly didnt help by lying numerous times. I dont think the guy is necessarily as big of a scumbag as he's made out to be.

Yea I agree and I hope he works Auburn.