PDA

View Full Version : What's with the GOP and failed CEOs?

Veritas
10/26/2010, 05:47 PM
Just had this random thought...the GOP is hoping to cash in with Meg Whitman, the CEO who damn near ruined eBay and Carly Fiorina, the dingbat that led HP to the brink of collapse. Let's not even talk about Bush II's corporate record.

What gives?

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 05:49 PM
Bat-**** crazy is approaching new levels?

Veritas
10/26/2010, 05:51 PM
Bat-**** crazy is approaching new levels?
Who knows. I'm happy with the guys here in Nebraska, good solid conservatives, so this is an easy one for me.

Oh, but I'm looking forward to 2012. Ben Nelson, get the **** out!

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 05:54 PM
I've never seen so many folks without a clue get so much attn than what we are seeing right now. It's like Obama made them lose there mind and now they'll do and say anything that might get them a vote and for me that goes for Pubs, Dems and TeaPot drinkers

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2010, 06:15 PM
Just had this random thought...the GOP is hoping to cash in with Meg Whitman, the CEO who damn near ruined eBay...

:eek:

E-bay only had 30 employees when she took over. But she ruined it?

Okay, dude.

BTW, both ladies headed tech companies. Their opponents are career politicians/lawyers. I have more respect for the tech company CEOs.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 06:25 PM

Okay, dude.

BTW, both ladies headed tech companies. Their opponents are career politicians/lawyers. I have more respect for the tech company CEOs.

I'll tell ya what...I used to use EBAY a lot and so did a few of my friends. They were all PowerSellers and everyone of them have found other ways to do their business. They might have built that Company up but IMO it's a turd now.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2010, 06:28 PM
I'll tell ya what...I used to use EBAY a lot and so did a few of my friends. They were all PowerSellers and everyone of them have found other ways to do their business. They might have built that Company up but IMO it's a turd now.

It's about $$$$. How much did the company make pre-Whitman and when she left?

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 06:32 PM
It's about $$$$. How much did the company make pre-Whitman and when she left?

You tell me. I'm just saying that I don't use the them for anything anymore and I'm not alone. If she figured a different way to bilk people out of their hard earned money and make record setting profits for that POS...it still doesn't give her credentials that you seem to think will benefit our Country.

landrun
10/26/2010, 06:38 PM
What about Timothy Geithner and Goldman Sachs. Now there's a failure for you. I didn't see Ebay or HP getting a 12 billion dollar bailout from the good ole' boys club in government like these guys did.

And when a community organizer who has never served in the military or created as single job became president, it nullified any argument that anyone could ever again be considered 'unqualified' to serve in the federal government as an elected official.

Seriously, if you can justify that with a straight face, you can never again argue that anyone doesn't qualify.

royalfan5
10/26/2010, 07:50 PM
To be fair, how many successful CEO's are generally available to run for office?

picasso
10/26/2010, 08:21 PM
Why the hell would a successful CEO want to get into politics.;)

picasso
10/26/2010, 08:22 PM
To be fair, how many successful CEO's are generally available to run for office?

oops, beat me to it.:)

OUthunder
10/26/2010, 08:29 PM
Just had this random thought...the GOP is hoping to cash in with Meg Whitman, the CEO who damn near ruined eBay and Carly Fiorina, the dingbat that led HP to the brink of collapse. Let's not even talk about Bush II's corporate record.

What gives?

Veritas, being a small business owner who also had an ebay store on the side, not only has Meg Whitman damn near ruined ebay, she HAS ruined ebay. She also lined her pockets with money that she helped *** rape from ebay sellers in the process.

**** that bitch! I'm an registered Republican and I wouldn't vote for that bitch if she was running against Barack Obama himself.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 08:33 PM
Veritas, being a small business owner who also had an ebay store on the side, not only has Meg Whitman damn near ruined ebay, she HAS ruined ebay. She also lined her pockets with money that she helped *** rape from ebay sellers in the process.

**** that bitch! I'm an registered Republican and I wouldn't vote for that bitch if she was running against Barack Obama himself.

Leroid....

I have another good example to show you.

Good Post OUT!

GKeeper316
10/26/2010, 11:12 PM

Okay, dude.

why?

name one corporate CEO who has made the transition into national politics and didnt fail miserably.

bluedogok
10/26/2010, 11:25 PM
"Successful CEO" is a relative term anymore, I think now it means they got paid a ton of money had a great severance package.

GKeeper316
10/26/2010, 11:30 PM
something people need to understand when some business guy says he'd make a great politician because he ran a successful business... government isnt a for profit venture.

picasso
10/27/2010, 12:11 AM
something people need to understand when some business guy says he'd make a great politician because he ran a successful business... government isnt a for profit venture.

Of course not. They create debt.

GKeeper316
10/27/2010, 12:24 AM
Of course not. They create debt.

the economy will pick up. i mean. it could get worse. but quite frankly, the next step in "worse" is a total meltdown of society in an evil future in which government no longer has any power and giant corporations do whatever they want.

hasn't anyone seen bladerunner ffs????

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 12:29 AM

Here are the facts:

When she took over as CEO gross revenues for E-bay were $4 million.

When she left gross revenues were $8 billion.

I wish she could ruin my consulting business like she ruined E-bay.

Final note: Money talks and bull**** walks. It matters not whether you like E-bay after she took over. All that is just cry, cry.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 12:29 AM
the economy will pick up. i mean. it could get worse. but quite frankly, the next step in "worse" is a total meltdown of society in an evil future in which government no longer has any power and giant corporations do whatever they want.

I'm down.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 12:38 AM
why?

name one corporate CEO who has made the transition into national politics and didnt fail miserably.

I don't know of many corporate CEO that got involved in national politics, to be honest. You have built in a self-fulfilling prophecy anyway, because anyone I name you will simply say, "Oh, he was a terrible politician."

But, let me throw a name out there: Former Nevada governor Kenny Guinn. When I lived in Nevada he was CEO of Southwest Gas. (Now here comes Crucifax.)

I have zero faith in career politicians like Brown and Boxer. I don't see how I could have less faith in a tech CEO.

But you asked why I have more faith in a corporate CEO. Simple: They know money.

GKeeper316
10/27/2010, 12:42 AM
I'm down.

except that giant corporations do not use the bible or any other moral compass to dictate what they do. what happens when they start cloning humans and selling them as your own personal slaves? this is a real question we will have to ask ourselves in the next 50 years. if government has no power to enforce the will of the people, whats to keep them from doing this, or developing some other technology completely in opposition to what society holds as right?

we all thought it was just bs science fiction, but we've mapped the human genome ffs. we've cloned complex organisms. its theoretically possible for us to have clones sitting in medical induced comas we could use as spare parts if we get in an accident, or get cancer...

the only thing that prevents this sort of thing is the will of the people and the power of its government.

personally, i dont give a rats ***. im all for human cloning so i can go order me up a elle macpherson circa 1990 to keep around the house. but you damn christians wont let anyone play around with human cloning, so i dont get my elle macpherson circa 1990.

which way do you want it?

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 12:53 AM
except that giant corporations do not use the bible or any other moral compass to dictate what they do.

How is that worse than our present government?

what happens when they start cloning humans and selling them as your own personal slaves?

You're trying to talk me out this, right?

If so, strange strategy, especially if these are sex slaves. (A little non-Christian stance thrown out for the Maxim crowd.)

this is a real question we will have to ask ourselves in the next 50 years. if government has no power to enforce the will of the people, whats to keep them from doing this, or developing some other technology completely in opposition to what society holds as right?

The government stopped listening to us a long time ago anyway. I don't see how it can be any worse with corporations.

For example, some poor lady in Michigan is being crucified because she advertised for a Christian roommate. Who's going after her? A governmental agency. So how is keeping government going to do my side any good?

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 12:53 AM
I don't know of many corporate CEO that got involved in national politics, to be honest. You have built in a self-fulfilling prophecy anyway, because anyone I name you will simply say, "Oh, he was a terrible politician."

But, let me throw a name out there: Former Nevada governor Kenny Guinn. When I lived in Nevada he was CEO of Southwest Gas. (Now here comes Crucifax.)

I have zero faith in career politicians like Brown and Boxer. I don't see how I could have less faith in a tech CEO.

But you asked why I have more faith in a corporate CEO. Simple: They know money.

I'd rather have Guinn than the dumbazz we have now, but he did pull a stupid one when he emptied the state's treasury by giving the entire budget surplus back to anyone who had registered a new car that year. Then the recession started and we know where we are now!

GKeeper316
10/27/2010, 12:58 AM
well for one they keep all the bad nasty drugs you rail against all the time out of the hands of people that want to use them.

you bitch about government all the time, but you depend on it to enforce your will. remove government from the equation and people could get as ****ed up as they wanted and do whatever they wanted. true freedom is anarchy. im all for it in principle, but the reality is that we need roads and we need water delivered to our houses, and someone to come pick up our trash, and enforce the law (will of the people) and put out fires and such.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 01:02 AM
you bitch about government all the time, but you depend on it to enforce your will. remove government from the equation and people could get as ****ed up as they wanted and do whatever they wanted. true freedom is anarchy. im all for it in principle, but the reality is that we need roads and we need water delivered to our houses, and someone to come pick up our trash, and enforce the law (will of the people) and put out fires and such.

You mistake me for a Libertarian.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/27/2010, 01:13 AM
well for one they keep all the bad nasty drugs you rail against all the time out of the hands of people that want to use them.

You mistake me for a Libertarian.

Leroy is correct. He favors tyranny at the state and local level.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 02:55 AM
Leroy is correct. He favors tyranny at the state and local level.

If it will keep you from parking on your lawn...

LosAngelesSooner
10/27/2010, 03:41 AM
The only reason Meg Whitman is even being mentioned is because the state Dems out here pulled a Kerry and dragged out the oldest, tiredest, most boring establishment candidate they possibly could have in Brown. That guy will be running for governor even after he's put in the ground. But the fact remains...even considering that, Whitman is gonna lose and everyone out here knows it. The media is just trying to make is sound close so they can get people to tune in. Same with Fiorina. She's going down as well. Now...if MAYBE some INSPIRATIONAL candidates had decided to run...from EITHER side...we'd have an interesting debate. Oh, and Leroid? Whitman was a HORRIBLE CEO and is completely unqualified to be a governor...especially of California which is a country unto itself.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 03:56 AM
SECEDE!!!!!!!

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 10:25 AM
Oh, and Leroid? Whitman was a HORRIBLE CEO.

Not based on profits, which is what it's all about.

You may find this hard to believe, but E-bay was founded for the purpose of making money. That's its job. If a CEO comes in and profits rise from $4 million to $8 billion, only a severely biased individual is going to say that she was not successful.

royalfan5
10/27/2010, 10:28 AM
Not based on profits, which is what it's all about.

You may find this hard to believe, but E-bay was founded for the purpose of making money. That's its job. If a CEO comes in and profits rise from $4 million to $8 billion, only a severely biased individual is going to say that she was not successful.

Profits or revenues? Your first post said revenues, now you claim it's profits. Which is it. There is a big difference.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 10:53 AM
Profits or revenues? Your first post said revenues, now you claim it's profits. Which is it. There is a big difference.

Let's be realistic here. When she started the company only had 30 employees, which is a small/medium-sized company.

Didn't Harvard Business Review name her one of the top-performing CEOs in the country?

But, she was a terrible CEO because...

royalfan5
10/27/2010, 10:57 AM
Let's be realistic here. When she started the company only had 30 employees, which is a small/medium-sized company.

Didn't Harvard Business Review name her one of the top-performing CEOs in the country?

But, she was a terrible CEO because...

I can't help but noticed their net profits have spiked since she left. And buying skype was a giant waste of cash.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 11:02 AM
I can't help but noticed their net profits have spiked since she left. And buying skype was a giant waste of cash.

That's like saying that Stoops is a horrible coach because we went 8-5 in one year.

What was Ebay doing profit-wise when she took over, and when she left? Who can truly deny that she didn't help build E-bay into a tech giant?

WildBlueSooner
10/27/2010, 11:10 AM
That's like saying that Stoops is a horrible coach because we went 8-5 in one year.

What was Ebay doing profit-wise when she took over, and when she left? Who can truly deny that she didn't help build E-bay into a tech giant?

Gotta agree with Leroy...She was critical to making Ebay the giant it is today. Whether or not an individual personally likes the changes she made is a bad argument. The facts are there...she took a company that was making some money to be a company that makes a ****load of money.

SUCCESS!

StoopTroup
10/27/2010, 12:27 PM
Gotta agree with Leroy...She was critical to making Ebay the giant it is today. Whether or not an individual personally likes the changes she made is a bad argument. The facts are there...she took a company that was making some money to be a company that makes a ****load of money.

SUCCESS!

I'll ask this again then....Scarface was pretty successful but I don't think it would have been a good idea to put him in office.

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 03:29 PM
I'll ask this again then....Scarface was pretty successful but I don't think it would have been a good idea to put him in office.

Tony Montana?

The last time I looked, he was involved in earning money illegally. If E-bay was part of the Mob, I wouldn't be defending Meg Whitman either.

Scott D
10/27/2010, 03:32 PM
Leroy careful what you ask for, you'd end up with a few replicas of yourself.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/27/2010, 03:34 PM
If it will keep you from parking on your lawn...

That of course is not the tyranny. It's using it as probable cause for illegal presence of aliens.

...but I see the joke coming a mile away .. ja ja ja ...

Leroy Lizard
10/27/2010, 03:53 PM
Leroy careful what you ask for, you'd end up with a few replicas of yourself.

I want a world where everyone is just like me.

With some females of course.

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 01:29 PM
Dude, at least know your facts. It's the height of dishonesty to say that "Whitman turned EBay into a billion dollar company."

Whitman’s fabled $1 billion in wealth was acquired in the first few months of her tenure, well before she could muck the company’s bottom line up. That billion-plus that eBay’s directors handed Whitman was perhaps the easiest billion anyone has ever been handed in corporate history: eBay hired Whitman in March 1998, when the company was already the tech world’s darling. Just six months after she joined, eBay went public, making Meg Whitman an overnight billionaire thanks to stock options that allowed her to buy eBay stock at just 7 cents a share, and sell them on the market for as high as $170 per share.

In other words, the company was already built and the entire thing was already put together but it was private. They planned on going public, hired her, then went public...and voila! BILLIONS.

What did she have to do with that? NOTHING. NADA. ZIP. But she made BANK.

While her timing may have been good, her leadership drove eBay’s stock prices into the tank thanks to her $4.1 billion acquisition of the Internet phone company Skype:

Whitman signed on the dotted line and plunked down $4.1 billions, she did not buy the technology that made Skype work, but instead leased it from Skype’s original creators–who were under no obligation to continue the lease.

But by October 7, 2007, investors were already getting fed up with Whitman’s helmsmanship. This was the high-point of the last bull market bubble, and yet eBay’s stock on this day was slightly lower than where it was in September 2005, when the Skype deal was first announced. Meanwhile, eBay’s biggest competitor, Amazon.com, saw its stock price soar 122 percent over the same two-year period as Amazon made smart investments and wooed clients and customers away from eBay in droves.

The full extent of Whitman’s wasteful $4 billion acquisition only became clear last year, when the real company that owned Skype’s technology, a shady firm called Joltid, decided to stop letting eBay play with its technology. Guess who owned Joltid? The same guys who once owned Skype before selling it (sans Skype technology) to Whitman for $4 billion.

Investors were shocked — and eBay’s stock plummeted on the news to near penny-stock status. eBay informed the SEC that if the matter wasn’t resolved (i.e. if Joltid wouldn’t agree to lease them the Skype technology that Whitman forgot to include in the $4 billion purchase), then, in eBay’s own words, “Skype would be adversely affected and the continued operation of Skype’s business as currently conducted would likely not be possible.” In other words, Meg Whitman spent $4.1 billion of eBay’s money to buy literally nothing.

If you want to read the rest of the FACTS behind her dismal failure as a CEO, go here: http://exiledonline.com/how-meg-whitman-failed-her-way-to-the-top-at-ebay-collecting-billions-while-nearly-destroying-the-company/

OR you can continue the narrative that you are pushing regardless of it's lacking any facts and try to make people in a different state than you vote for someone who we know is a failure and a liar.

If she had so much support, why would she be spending more of her personal wealth than any person in the HISTORY of the U.S. on her campaign? You'd think she'd be getting donations and support, eh? :pop:

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 03:30 PM
Dude, at least know your facts. It's the height of dishonesty to say that "Whitman turned EBay into a billion dollar company."

Companies don't hire CEOs just so that they can sit around and rake in billions of dollars. Going public is a huge ordeal, so they probably hired her to guide them through it.

This is the sort of revisionism that always seems to erupt in politics.

"Sure, he won the Medal of Honor, but was he really that brave?"

"Yes, she built a company... but they laid off 30,000 workers once."

Also, let's get our facts from sources other than tootie-fruitie, Leftist blogs that fail to substantiate any of their claims.

Scott D
10/28/2010, 03:36 PM
From what I've seen, companies will hire a CEO they think will bring excitement and is good at making promises to the Shareholders. Don't get me wrong, there are some out there that are actually very good at what they're brought in to do. Some to save companies, some to build them, some to resurrect them, some to provide a trustable public face.

But there are probably more CEO's that are terrible at it, and are very good at burying the company that hired them. But, in the short term, they line shareholder pockets for a period before everyone finds out that they've driven a company to the verge of ruination.

That being said, I'm surprised that guys like John Antioco aren't in politics.

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 03:41 PM
Companies don't hire CEOs just so that they can sit around and rake in billions of dollars. Going public is a huge ordeal, so they probably hired her to guide them through it.

This is the sort of revisionism that always seems to erupt in politics.

"Sure, he won the Medal of Honor, but was he really that brave?"

"Yes, she built a company... but they laid off 30,000 workers once."

Also, let's get our facts from sources other than tootie-fruitie, Leftist blogs that fail to substantiate any of their claims.

And with this post you've clearly demonstrated what most of us already knew: that you'd rather vainly attempt to continue with your narrative than to accept the facts and move on.

Thanks.

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 04:12 PM
And with this post you've clearly demonstrated what most of us already knew: that you'd rather vainly attempt to continue with your narrative than to accept the facts and move on.

If you have to go to an op-ed from some organization (two people, actually) called Exiled to dig up your facts, then your argument is hurting from the outset. Real facts should be readily available from reliable sources, not just fruitcakes.

If I quoted articles from some right-wing wackos to support my claims you would have a fit.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/28/2010, 04:19 PM

What gives?

Failed CEOs for a failed state. Perfect fit.

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 04:40 PM
Real facts should be readily available from reliable sources, not just fruitcakes.

One man's fruitcake is another man's opportunity to send a message that he'd like to see if you'll nibble on that.

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 04:44 PM
If you have to go to an op-ed from some organization (two people, actually) called Exiled to dig up your facts, then your argument is hurting from the outset. Real facts should be readily available from reliable sources, not just fruitcakes.

If I quoted articles from some right-wing wackos to support my claims you would have a fit.
Dude...your entire line or argument just got butt raped by a single post and the best you can come back with is "that's a web page I don't politically agree with!!!!!"

LOL!

Facts are facts. And if these weren't facts, there'd be a libel suit against 'em right now.

Which there isn't.

And you still haven't refuted a single fact...nor have you addressed why it is that this "amazing business woman and candidate" isn't getting any donations to support her candidacy and is resorting to having to use her own billions to try and buy the election...which she is still losing.

Keep going. It's fun mud-holing you.
:pop:

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 04:46 PM
Failed CEOs for a failed state. Perfect fit."failed state"

LMFAO!

Yeah...it's a real nightmare living out here in a state that could buy most of the other states in the U.S. completely several times over since it's one of the world's largest economies all by itself.

Real nightmare failure. :D

Oh, yeah...and the weather sucks... smogmudslidewildfireearthquakecrimeblarghblarghbla rgh!

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 04:49 PM
Dude...your entire line or argument just got butt raped by a single post...

Dude, ye olde "Declare victory" strategy is, like, so weak.

Dude.

Facts are facts. And if these weren't facts, there'd be a libel suit against 'em right now.

Deer lord. You truly cannot believe that.

1. Meg is a politician and the people's liberties in posting wild accusations against politicians is easily defended in court.
2. There is nothing libelous about their post anyway because all they state is pure conjecture. Which you eat up because you align yourself with those ideas politically.
3. Why would Meg sue a couple of people who are probably near-broke?

And you still haven't refuted a single fact...nor have you addressed why it is that this "amazing business woman and candidate" isn't getting any donations to support her candidacy and is resorting to having to use her own billions to try and buy the election...which she is still losing.

Any Republican politician running for governor of California would receive ample donations if he or she truly wanted them, no matter how unpopular.

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 04:57 PM
You just got crushed. Your argument got deep sixed for everyone to see.

You wanna keep going? Fine. Won't change the fact that your entire argument was blown apart. And your "staying the course with your manufactured narrative" is the weakest of the weak sauce and is the root of the problem with our political discourse today.

But you don't need me to tell you this. Let's leave it to the rest of the folks on here...everyone who thinks that Leroy just had his "Meg Whitman was a great CEO" argument blown out of the water, feel free to let him know...and everyone who thinks that your agrument is still sound because my "facts don't count since they come from a blog you don't agree with," feel free to let me know.

I ain't too skurrd of the results.

Bourbon St Sooner
10/28/2010, 04:58 PM
"failed state"

LMFAO!

Yeah...it's a real nightmare living out here in a state that could buy most of the other states in the U.S. completely several times over since it's one of the world's largest economies all by itself.

Real nightmare failure. :D

Oh, yeah...and the weather sucks... smogmudslidewildfireearthquakecrimeblarghblarghbla rgh!

Could buy other states with what? An Arnold IOU?

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 05:00 PM
Damn Leroid....are you her pool boy?

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 05:01 PM
You just got crushed.

Awww man, can you cut the juvenile antics? I thought you libs were supposed to be good at this debate thingy.

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 05:06 PM
Could buy other states with what? An Arnold IOU?Aww...how cute. You're not only demonstrating your ignorance regarding state economies, but you're doing it from the "economic stronghold" that is Louisiana.

Irony...you make such sweet, sweet love to all of us. :D

Awww man, can you cut the juvenile antics? I thought you libs were supposed to be good at this debate thingy.
Apparently we Republicans are quite good at this debate thingy...which is why I just beat you like a red headed step child. ;)

JohnnyMack
10/28/2010, 05:12 PM
I think this may be the first LAS/Leroid slap fight I've witnessed.

JohnnyMack
10/28/2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.global-changes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Internet_argument.jpg

LosAngelesSooner
10/28/2010, 05:14 PM
Naw...I've slapped him around multiple times in the past. I just got tired of it for a while.

But every now and then, it's fun to depants one of the Tuba/RLiMC clones in front of everyone. :D

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 06:23 PM
Apparently we Republicans are quite good at this debate thingy.

Why are you still masquerading as a Republican?

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 06:35 PM

Probably the same reason you masquerade as a Sooner Fan?

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 07:42 PM
Probably the same reason you masquerade as a Sooner Fan?

Ha! My Soonerdom out-Sooners yours by a long shot.

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 07:52 PM
Ha! My Soonerdom out-Sooners yours by a long shot.

I don't ever put that up for comparison with anyone...

For me...it's pretty apparent as my Will has instructions to cancel my Funeral if it's on a gameday.

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 08:03 PM
I don't ever put that up for comparison with anyone...

For me...it's pretty apparent as my Will has instructions to cancel my Funeral if it's on a gameday.

Ha! The entire OU team will hold a moment of silence on news of my death.

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 08:18 PM
Ha! The entire OU team will hold a moment of silence on news of my death.

I'll be dancing.

Leroy Lizard
10/28/2010, 08:33 PM
I'll be dancing.

Well, that's better than wishing for it, which has been said in here as well. :)

StoopTroup
10/28/2010, 08:38 PM
Well, that's better than wishing for it, which has been said in here as well. :)

I won't wish for it. Pay for it maybe...but never wish for it

Bourbon St Sooner
10/29/2010, 08:00 AM
Aww...how cute. You're not only demonstrating your ignorance regarding state economies, but you're doing it from the "economic stronghold" that is Louisiana.

Irony...you make such sweet, sweet love to all of us. :D

Apparently we Republicans are quite good at this debate thingy...which is why I just beat you like a red headed step child. ;)

What was I thinking? Arguing with LAS or Leroy is like arguing with my 20 month old daughter.

OUthunder
10/29/2010, 09:58 AM
Here are the facts:

When she took over as CEO gross revenues for E-bay were $4 million.

When she left gross revenues were $8 billion.

I wish she could ruin my consulting business like she ruined E-bay.

Final note: Money talks and bull**** walks. It matters not whether you like E-bay after she took over. All that is just cry, cry.

Here is a fact...more sellers have fled ebay since her last set of price increases...all on sellers. I once made a living on ebay, but like many others, I no longer can. Profits are fine until you drain the people that made you those profits, bone dry. Ebay was once a wonderful place to buy and sell, now it's a skeleton of its old self.

You know, I wasn't much on the bash Leroid bandwagon, but I can now see why so many hold you in such high regards. My only question is this...who's troll are you and do you really believe all of the **** you post.

sooneron
10/29/2010, 10:50 AM
If she figured a different way to bilk people out of their hard earned money and make record setting profits for that POS...

But isn't this the current M.O. of any major ceo?

Scott D
10/29/2010, 10:51 AM
But isn't this the current M.O. of any major ceo?

I'd say no. While it's easy to say their primary goal is to increase the profit margins for the shareholders, there are some major CEO's who are brought into a company because they have a history of improving a company.

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 11:11 AM
^ What he said.

sooneron
10/29/2010, 11:15 AM
I'd say no. While it's easy to say their primary goal is to increase the profit margins for the shareholders, there are some major CEO's who are brought into a company because they have a history of improving a company.

Yes, that's all fine and dandy, but when the ticker starts flattening out and dividends are slowly shrinking...

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 12:17 PM
Here is a fact...more sellers have fled ebay since her last set of price increases...all on sellers.

What was the company's bottom line pre-Whitman and post-Whitman?

This is like complaining after the 2009 season that Stoops sucks as a coach.

sooneron
10/29/2010, 12:24 PM
What else would a ceo that is perceived as "weak" do? They really have two choices- politics or academia.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 12:24 PM

"We're bringing in less money and making fewer profits, but we think we have really improved as a company."

The problem is that a bunch of E-bay sellers don't like the direction the company has gone because it makes their online selling experience less satisfactory. Before Whitman, E-bay was closer to this quaint little online auction house, like a Mom-n-Pop grocery store.

Today the Mom-n-Pop store is closer to Safeway Grocers. The service isn't as friendly. The donuts are not as fresh. And the customers are all pissed at the CEO who "ruined" the company. But the shareholders are happy, and ultimately they are the ones to gauge the effectiveness of the CEO because they (in effect) hired her.

If you don't like E-bay, go to a different source or start your own.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 12:55 PM
just because you're argumentative about it Leroy, improving was probably a bad choice of works. Restructuring, Resurrecting, Rescuing would probably all have been better choices. I refer to the CEO who comes in, fulfills a task (which makes said company stronger) then moves on to the next challenge of that type.

There are probably more CEO's out there who are nothing more than caretakers, and can manage to screw things up quite easily because they feel the need to put their own stamp on things. both of those women are of the latter type.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 01:03 PM
just because you're argumentative about it Leroy, improving was probably a bad choice of works. Restructuring, Resurrecting, Rescuing would probably all have been better choices. I refer to the CEO who comes in, fulfills a task (which makes said company stronger) then moves on to the next challenge of that type.

There are probably more CEO's out there who are nothing more than caretakers, and can manage to screw things up quite easily because they feel the need to put their own stamp on things. both of those women are of the latter type.

So by failed CEO, you mean someone that either lost money for the company or weakened it.

Okay, was E-bay a weaker company when Whitman left than before she arrived?

Scott D
10/29/2010, 01:07 PM
Considering how the stock has fallen? yes.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 05:12 PM

The stock was worth about $3 a share in October 1998. She left in November of 2007, with the stock worth about $34 per share.

A ten-fold increase in value over a period of 9 years is hardly "falling."

JohnnyMack
10/29/2010, 05:17 PM
The stock was worth about $3 a share in October 1998. She left in November of 2007, with the stock worth about $34 per share.

A sack of dead hamsters could have been eBay's CEO at that time and still seen a comparable increase in the price of the stock.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:23 PM
Because real Republicans, like myself, don't feel like completely surrendering our party to RHINO right wing extremists like you. :pop:

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:24 PM
What was I thinking? Arguing with LAS or Leroy is like arguing with my 20 month old daughter.Wow. Your 20 month old daughter is smarter than you, too?

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:25 PM
What was the company's bottom line pre-Whitman and post-Whitman?

This is like complaining after the 2009 season that Stoops sucks as a coach.
I could post the article that blows your argument up again, but you'd just ignore it and keep pushing your empty narrative forward, regardless.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:27 PM
So by failed CEO, you mean someone that either lost money for the company or weakened it.

Okay, was E-bay a weaker company when Whitman left than before she arrived?

Heh...Scott D beat me to it. :D

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:28 PM

I love how you discount the fact that she took the stock from around $175 a share and dropped it to around $34 a share.

WONDERFUL oversight on your part. LOL!

soonerhubs
10/29/2010, 05:37 PM
"California is nice, but I like seasons."--Tosh

:D

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 05:40 PM
A sack of dead hamsters could have been eBay's CEO at that time and still seen a comparable increase in the price of the stock.

We now invoke the woulda, coulda, shoulda.

You can diminish ANYONE's accomplishments using this argument. "Well, sure the team is winning now, but they would have anway no matter who was coaching."

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 05:41 PM
Because real Republicans, like myself...

Stop. You get your news info from Exiled. You ain't foolin' anyone.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 05:52 PM
I love how you discount the fact that she took the stock from around $175 a share and dropped it to around $34 a share.

WONDERFUL oversight on your part. LOL!

You're simply wrong. The stock wasn't $175 per share when she took over the company. In fact, the stock was only worth $3 per share.

Here are the stock values around this time for each year:

1998: $3
1999: $17
2000: $13
2001: $13
2002: $16
2003: $30
2004: $49
2005: $38
2006: $32
2007: $35

The biggest gains came in 2002, right in the middle of her tenure.

If you don't believe me: http://investor.ebay.com/stocklookup.cfm?historic_Month=10&historic_Day=28&historic_Year=2001

And those are the facts.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:54 PM
Stop. You get your news info from Exiled. You ain't foolin' anyone.
I get my news from all over, put it all together, and find the facts lying somewhere inside all the noise.

You get your facts from Faux News...just like a good little Neo-Con.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 05:57 PM
You're simply wrong. The stock wasn't $175 per share when she took over the company. In fact, the stock was only worth $3 per share.

Here are the stock values around this time for each year:

1998: $3
1999: $17
2000: $13
2001: $13
2002: $16
2003: $30
2004: $49
2005: $38
2006: $32
2007: $35

The biggest gains came in 2002, right in the middle of her tenure.

If you don't believe me: http://investor.ebay.com/stocklookup.cfm?historic_Month=10&historic_Day=28&historic_Year=2001

And those are the facts.
You get YOUR facts wrong, because you're a lazy thinker.

First off, I never said that they were at $175 when the took over the company. If you knew a THING about what you were talking about, you'd know that the stocks were at ZERO when she took over the company because THEY HADN'T GONE PUBLIC YET.

Then they SOARED to a height around $175 before she blew over 4 BILLION on an empty purchase that then TANKED the money that E-Bay would have made if a blind hampster had been at the helm.

But you're just Googling stuff and really have no idea what you're talking about. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that you don't own a single share of stock anywhere in anything. At least your ignorance on this subject clearly indicates that is a strong possibility.

Continue your empty narrative, please. It's fun kicking you all around the school yard. :pop:

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:09 PM
Then they SOARED to a height around $175

Under her tenure?

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:10 PM
Under her tenure?
What an amazing inability to understand nuance, you have. LOL!

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:11 PM
I get my news from all over, put it all together, and find the facts lying somewhere inside all the noise.

You get your facts from Faux News...just like a good little Neo-Con.

With Republicans like you, who needs Democrats? (Or Commies for that matter.)

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:15 PM
With Republicans like you, who needs Democrats? (Or Commies for that matter.)
HA! Sweeeeeet!

Now I'm a "Commie!"

Man, you follow the Neo-Con/Tea Party script to a T! I thought it would be harder to get you to dive into that dumpster, but I didn't even have to PUSH! LOL!

So...anyway, you were saying? Come on, Captain Nuance...continue your display of willful ignorance...it's entertaining me on a rare overcast day out here in my "failed state." :D

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:21 PM
HA! Sweeeeeet!

Now I'm a "Commie!"

Man, you follow the Neo-Con/Tea Party script to a T! I thought it would be harder to get you to dive into that dumpster, but I didn't even have to PUSH! LOL!

So...anyway, you were saying? Come on, Captain Nuance...continue your display of willful ignorance...it's entertaining me on a rare overcast day out here in my "failed state." :D

I'm just waiting for you to name the CEO which lead E-bay at the time their stock rose to $175 per share. (I'm also waiting for you to type anything that even remotely looks Republican, unless your definition of Republican include Barney Frank, Obama, and Barbara Boxer.)

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:27 PM
And I'm still laughing as I watch you squirm while you try every tactic from ignoring to diversion in order to maintain your baseless fallacy.

Shoot, Thunder and I hardly see eye to eye on a single thing and you've singlehandedly brought us together in agreement on this. That ALONE might be your greatest accomplishment.

Other than being denser than lead for all of us to see. :D

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:28 PM
Regardless, everyone on here, everyone in California and everyone in business knows that Meg Whitman was a horrible CEO and almost completely ruined EBay...you can live on in dream world all by yourself. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:29 PM
And by the way, while we're waiting for me to "say something even remotely Republican," why don't you point out where I've said "anything remotely Democratic" in this thread, mmmkay? LOL :pop:

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:31 PM
Regardless, everyone on here, everyone in California and everyone in business knows that Meg Whitman was a horrible CEO and almost completely ruined EBay...you can live on in dream world all by yourself. ;)

So you're not going to answer the question.

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:33 PM
And by the way, while we're waiting for me to "say something even remotely Republican," why don't you point out where I've said "anything remotely Democratic" in this thread, mmmkay? LOL :pop:

In this thread. Ha ha ha! Ooops, doesn't want me looking up his opinions on other matters, such as Obama.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:35 PM
So you're not going to answer the question.I already have, multiple times, but you're willfully ignoring it.

So that's on you. ;)

In this thread. Ha ha ha! Ooops, doesn't want me looking up his opinions on other matters, such as Obama.
Sure! Go for it. Shoot, ask Veritas, or many others on here. I've shown my true Republican roots MANY times. But, hey...you really don't care, do ya? You're just trying another diversion in the vain hopes that it'll distract people from the butt whoopin' you're getting in here. :D

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:43 PM
I already have, multiple times, but you're willfully ignoring it.

Go ahead and answer it again. Go for it. Who was CEO of E-bay at the time of the company's big surge to $175 per share?

Sure! Go for it. Shoot, ask Veritas, or many others on here. I've shown my true Republican roots MANY times. But, hey...you really don't care, do ya? You're just trying another diversion in the vain hopes that it'll distract people from the butt whoopin' you're getting in here. :D

It'll be fun watching the Meltdown: Part 2 after [Obama is] re-elected.

Republican, heh?

Sure, whatever you say.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:45 PM
Go ahead and answer it again. Go for it. Who was CEO of E-bay at the time of the company's big surge to $175 per share?
First give me an honest answer (if you can). Do you REALLY want to understand why EVERYONE outside of you thinks she was a failure as a CEO, or is your objective simply to win an Internet argument because you disagree with another poster's politics?

Be honest, now...

Republican, heh?

Sure, whatever you say.
Sweet! I will continue to state the facts, that I'm a life-long member of the Republican Party who worked on McCain's presidential campaign in 1999 and voted for Bush in 2000 as well as holds a lifetime membership with the NRA, etc...etc...

Them's the facts. ;)

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 06:50 PM
First give me an honest answer (if you can). Do you REALLY want to understand why EVERYONE outside of you thinks she was a failure as a CEO or is your objective simply to win an Internet argument because you disagree with another poster's politics?

Be honest, now...

Answer the question. You've done everything in your power to deflect attention away from the question. So answer it: Who was head of E-bay at the time that its stocks rose to $175 per share?

If you don't want to answer the question, just say so.

I will continue to state the facts, that I'm a life-long member of the Republican Party...

A crow can say the words.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:58 PM
So you just want to win an Internet argument with someone who you disagree with politically rather than really understand why everyone on this thread, in California, and on the Internet knows you're wrong.

Gotcha. ;)

Thanks for spelling it out for everyone.

LOL!

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 06:59 PM
And as far as "walking the walk," I do a much better job of walking the walk of a true Republican than you, or any of your Neo-Con/Tea Bagger ilk have EVER done. :D

GKeeper316
10/29/2010, 07:04 PM
dude, LAS, you should know better than this...

and have you read any of the new WoT book yet? propogue, 1st and 2nd chapters (Perrin's pov)and the 8th chapter (Mat's pov) have been released.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:05 PM
tsk tsk tsk...

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:08 PM
dude, LAS, you should know better than this...

and have you read any of the new WoT book yet? propogue, 1st and 2nd chapters (Perrin's pov)and the 8th chapter (Mat's pov) have been released.
I've got the book pre-ordered. Waiting for it so I can read it in full. In the meantime I'm going through the whole series on my Kindle whenever I've got time.

As for screwing with Lizard...it's just too easy sometimes that I simply can't resist! :D

Leroy Lizard
10/29/2010, 07:08 PM
And as far as "walking the walk,"

Dude, just answer the freakin' question already.

GKeeper316
10/29/2010, 07:09 PM
I've got the book pre-ordered. Waiting for it so I can read it in full. In the meantime I'm going through the whole series on my Kindle whenever I've got time.

As for screwing with Lizard...it's just too easy sometimes that I simply can't resist! :D

nice... i didnt pre-order. i doubt barnes and noble wont have copies on the 2nd

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:21 PM
Dude, just answer the freakin' question already.Why? You don't want the answer, you want to win, not understand.

So why waste time with you? I mean, I've already "beaten you down" so there's no point there...and you've demonstrated that you don't really care to understand why all of us are laughing at you, so why waste my time?

Now, if you had come forward and said that you HONESTLY wanted to understand, then we'd have a dialog, but as it is...you just want to drum your little hollow narrative, regardless of truth. So have at it. ;)

nice... i didnt pre-order. i doubt barnes and noble wont have copies on the 2nd
Go on Amazon and pre-order it now...that's the best way.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 07:26 PM

I've never done the pre-order thing on Kindle. It's not like they'll run out of digital copies. I am, however, looking forward to the release. Even read Sanderson's new book a couple of weeks ago. His writing has definitely improved.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:27 PM
Sanderson sort of had to improve...he's dealing with a larger and more critical audience now.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:28 PM
I've never done the pre-order thing on Kindle. It's not like they'll run out of digital copies. I am, however, looking forward to the release. Even read Sanderson's new book a couple of weeks ago. His writing has definitely improved.
TOR is really mad at Amazon so they pushed the release of the digital copy to a YEAR from the release of the hardback. So I had to pre-order both copies. I'll get the hardback in a week and then a year from now I'll get the digital copy.

But pre-ordering on Amazon is pretty awesome, actually. I got the last Harry Potter at my door the day it was released. Didn't have to stand in line, or anything.

Oh, and to stay on topic, Amazon's resale sites make the old EBay look like a really crappy garage sale. ;)

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:30 PM
Sanderson sort of had to improve...he's dealing with a larger and more critical audience now.
The last book was MUCH better than the previous three. The plot actually...you know...moved FORWARD! LOL! Imagine that! :D

GKeeper316
10/29/2010, 07:32 PM
i think robert jordan subscribed to the george lucas school of plot development, but still was a great writer.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:33 PM
I think he just fell entirely too in love with his side characters and sub-plots...and then didn't want the series to end...so he started fleshing out all sorts of side stories that really didn't need to be told.

Sanderson seems to be fixing that...which is nice.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:33 PM
Well to be fair to Jordan, it's not like he was expecting to be struck down by Amyloidosis.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:39 PM
True. That was really sad, but he did know what was coming for the last two books. The illness did linger for a while.

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:40 PM
True, but if I remember correctly, his treatment, and deterioration severely affected his ability to do much more than outlines and take verbal notes.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah. I'm not holding it against him...not a bit. But you've gotta admit that the last book moved much more quickly and was a lot tighter than the previous three. And the character development, particularly with Rand, was VERY gratifying...

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:49 PM
It did move more swiftly, but part of that is the fact that Sanderson had a lot of material to work with, and his toughest task was to find a way to make his style seem seamless with Jordan's. Besides, it's not like he has to write the ending, because he's said many times already that Jordan already wrote the final few chapters, and they will maintain the same.

But in the overall picture of the story I can see why he (Jordan) felt such a need to flesh out so many characters. He's trying to mesh a great deal of cultures into a singular people for the final battle between "good and evil".

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 07:52 PM
TOR is really mad at Amazon so they pushed the release of the digital copy to a YEAR from the release of the hardback. So I had to pre-order both copies. I'll get the hardback in a week and then a year from now I'll get the digital copy.

WTF????

I didn't know that. Goddamn it.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 07:57 PM
WTF????

I didn't know that. Goddamn it.
They sent out an email telling anyone. Didn't you get it?

Scott D
10/29/2010, 07:59 PM
Steve probably deleted it when Mike was in class...those cats are sneaky like that.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 08:09 PM
They sent out an email telling anyone. Didn't you get it?

I didn't pre-order, so they didn't send it to me. Grr.

Well, crud. I guess I'm heading to B&N on Tuesday.

Frozen Sooner
10/29/2010, 08:09 PM
Steve probably deleted it when Mike was in class...those cats are sneaky like that.

If I'm in class, I have my computer. How else can I play bubble spinner?

Scott D
10/29/2010, 08:12 PM
Steve has his sneaky cat ways of remote usage.

LosAngelesSooner
10/29/2010, 08:13 PM
Pre-order it now, man. :)