PDA

View Full Version : Not a fire stoops thread...that would be stupid.

pappy
10/26/2010, 04:17 PM
If Bob Stoops wasn't at OU and was doing the exact same thing there lets say LSU is the location...He would've been fired by now. Look at them calling for les miles head and he only has 1 loss this year and it was probably to a better team then the one stoops lost to on saturday. Stoops has won ugly this year and so has miles. He also has a more recent national championship then stoops. They're still calling for his head and they'll probably get it.

I'm not a les miles fan just using him as an example.

All I'm saying is people on this board gives stoops more credit as being an elite college football coach then he deserves. He is somewhere between #5 - #10 range. The guys at 1 and 2 (saban and meyer) are leagues ahead of him. The only reason you'll argue that is because you're a homer with crimson colored glasses.

People don't think Landry Jones is very good and in some cases people think he just sucks and a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is following possibly the greatest passing qb in sooner history in Sam Bradford. I think Stoops gets a lot of credit because he followed John Blake who was probably the worst coach in OU history. Had he followed switzer he would've been fired by now regardless of how many big 12 championships he has won. OU is about National Championships and fans *use* to know that.

Again not saying fire Stoops cause he is a coach in the #5 - #10 range as best coach in the country and the guys that are ahead of him wouldn't leave their program to come to ours so we probably wouldn't find anyone better.

Just wanted to give some perspective.

3rdgensooner
10/26/2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah, Meyer is having a great year

KantoSooner
10/26/2010, 04:24 PM
Saban, yes.

Meyer? No. Not any more. He's done. And probably needs to declare a medical emergency and go live on a beach somewhere post season. Alternatively, he can be Saban's little b boy for the next few years and then have a real breakdown. I don't like the guy so it makes no diff to me.

TUSooner
10/26/2010, 04:26 PM
If Bob Stoops wasn't at OU and was doing the exact same thing there lets say LSU is the location...He would've been fired by now. Look at them calling for les miles head and he only has 1 loss this year and it was probably to a better team then the one stoops lost to on saturday. Stoops has won ugly this year and so has miles. He also has a more recent national championship then stoops. They're still calling for his head and they'll probably get it.

All I'm saying is people on this board gives stoops more credit as being an elite college football coach then he deserves. He is somewhere between #5 - #10 range. The guys at 1 and 2 (saban and meyer) are leagues ahead of him. The only reason you'll argue that is because you're a homer with crimson colored glasses.

People don't think Landry Jones is very good and in some cases people think he just sucks and a lot of that has to do with the fact that he is following possibly the greatest passing qb in sooner history in Sam Bradford. I think Stoops gets a lot of credit because he followed John Blake who was probably the worst coach in OU history. Had he followed switzer he would've been fired by now regardless of how many big 12 championships he has won. OU is about National Championships and fans *use* to know that.

Again not saying fire Stoops cause he is a coach in the #5 - #10 range as best coach in the country and the guys that are ahead of him wouldn't leave their program to come to ours so we probably wouldn't find anyone better.

I can't understand the Les hatin' down here, though it makes me laugh. Yeah, he can be a doofus, but they only lost once, and barely, and to a freaky good QB. LSU is still underrated IMHO.

And Stoops has the more recent end-game brain cramp -- by which I'm not touching the 2-point issue but only the "we surrender" punt followed by the "oh wait" rugby joke play. ;)

Stoops is not perfect, and we may never win another MNC under him, but he's too good to fire because you never know what we might do, and because you never know what we'll get after him.

Same goes for Les @ LSU.

btb916
This post is stupid.

jumperstop
I say he's three or four. I couldn't name 9 coaches I would rather have than him. The thing is he has keep this program consistently good for 10 years, how many other programs can say the have had the success OU has had over Stoop's tenure?

Soonersince57
10/26/2010, 04:30 PM
You mean he's not 153-0 with 11 national championships? The slacker.

Les Miles and LSU deserve each other.

jumperstop
10/26/2010, 04:32 PM

I don't see why they want him gone. He just as half witted as thier fan base. You would think they would love him there.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 04:33 PM
Sam Bradford = Tough act to Follow.

Cornfed
10/26/2010, 04:33 PM
pappy exactly how many nc have we won?? How many years did we play football before Blake?

If it's all about NCs then we should have had over 70 head coaches come and go by your standards.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 04:34 PM
I don't see why they want him gone. He just as half witted as thier fan base. You would think they would love him there.

As right as you are about that...they probably also know that even though a bunch of his bat-**** crazy saves have saved the day...they know it's a matter of time that it will quit working? Just a guess. :D

tfoolry
10/26/2010, 04:35 PM
Another great coach that's consistently good WITHOUT top recruits at a school with a fraction of OU's tradition is Kirk Ferentz & he reallly had a meltdown on Sat. There were a lot of things that went wrong Sat. night other than a couple questionable calls. I'm just hoping for a rematch in CCG.

btb916
10/26/2010, 04:36 PM
According to a quick wikipedia search, here are their respective records:

And here's why:

Urban Meyer: Overall 100–21 (.826)
Bowls 6–1 (.857)

2 nat'l titles

Nick Saban: Overall 131–51–1 (college)[a]
15–17 (NFL)
Bowls 5–6
2 nat'l titles

Leslie Miles: Overall 86–37
Bowls 5–3
1 nat'l title

Bob Stoops:

Overall 123–30 (.804)
Bowls 5–6 (.455)

1 nat'l title

Saban has the same record as Stoops in bowl games. He has one more nat'l title to show for it. Saban was also whooped by Utah, a BCS buster, in 2008, which, oh by the way, was his first ever undefeated season.

Meyer's bowl success will likely end soon. You can't win 'em all.

So..tell me again how we overvalue Stoops? Because I don't see it.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 04:41 PM
It's my honest belief that it's Bob's Bowl Record that spawns lots of this muck raking. Truth is...he needs to really figure that one out. I think you do have to consider though that a few of those lost Bowl Games were for all the marbles and at that point I think it's amazing how many opportunities he has provided not just OU and his players but all of the Sooner Fans. We've gotten to see the promised land quite a few times and that IMO is what keeps us drooling at the bit.

cherokeebrewer
10/26/2010, 04:46 PM
Had he followed switzer he would've been fired by now regardless of how many big 12 championships he has won.

How long did Gary Gibbs hang on with a mediocre record? I think Coach Stoops would still be here or retired, given his record...

I disagree with your opinion.

btb916
10/26/2010, 04:46 PM
I think you do have to consider though that a few of those lost Bowl Games were for all the marbles and at that point I think it's amazing how many opportunities he has provided not just OU and his players but all of the Sooner Fans. We've gotten to see the promised land quite a few times and that IMO is what keeps us drooling at the bit.

Yap. That's why I don't fault him for those losses. The one game...well, that was bad. But against LSU and Florida in Louisiana and Florida...we showed up, played hard, and lost tough games. Hard to win on the road. Harder when it's the national title game.

TUSooner
10/26/2010, 04:48 PM
You mean he's not 153-0 with 11 national championships? The slacker.

LSU fans are bizarre. They are very funny and likeable when they lose or think they'll lose, but they're pretty obnoxious and arrogant at most other times. I'll never forget how truly ugly they were for their MNC Sugar Bowls vs OU and tOSU. The more successful they are, the uglier they are, IMHO. That's the main reason I can never be happy when they win. And I apologize to my LSU friends for it, but that's just how it is. It's a good thing my LSU daughter is more into their excellent French Language department rather than their football team. If she were a fan, I'd have to soften my stance to some degree (at least publicly.) :D

SeattleOUstudent
10/26/2010, 04:49 PM
Idiot post.

KBoomer11
10/26/2010, 08:09 PM
Idiot post.

Good one.

sooneron
10/26/2010, 08:26 PM
Congrats on your ****ing retarded thread. :rolleyes:

tcrb
10/26/2010, 08:41 PM
There's more to coaching than wins/losses and bowl games/nc titles. Those things are important, but there's more to the job than just records. Of all the coaches discussed in this thread, I'd rate Bob Stoops #1 when it comes to what I believe is the most important "off the field" element.....Integrity.

aero
10/26/2010, 08:51 PM
Stoops has kept OU at as high a level of competitive football since he has been here as any other coach around. Our recent bowl record isn't good but look at the bowls we've been in and who we've been playing. As fans, we want NC's and Bob has given OU more opportunities than anybody else around. In the 25 years since Switzer last one a NC, there have been about 20 different coaches win a NC. Saban, Meyer, Bowden, Osborne, and Erickson (shared in '91) being multiple winners (not counting Pete Carroll's fake title). You could add a few names counting other split winners a few of those years. In that same time, only 15 different schools have won the title. 20 coaches and 15 schools. Tells me 2 things. It ain't easy to win the title and it's a fairly exclusive club as far as schools winning it. Bob has done an exceptional job here. He's a class act and he has delivered us back to year after year being near the top and in the mix.

goingoneight
10/26/2010, 10:17 PM
Meyer isn't looking any better than anybody else who loses his top two assistants in two years' time. Stoops has been amazingly consistent at producing good, and sometimes scary-good teams. He ain't the problem IMO. In 11.5 seasons, he's proven that even when the chips are down, he gets us right back in contention as well as any other coach in the country. I know it's frustrating to lose a game, especially when it seems like we all think we could have called the game better from our couches... but I like Stoops and this INCREDIBLY YOUNG ROSTER to give us some more scary good teams in coming years.

Also, I don't think there's a better coach in the country as far as developing "hidden" talents like Q, Sammy B, Lofton, Millard, Clayton, TRRW, etc. It sucks to lose a game, especially one you feel your team should win handily. See: Alabama at USC. Any year where you don't win it all just makes years like 2000 just THAT much more magical, in reality. Stoops, if he left today... would have orchestrated one of the greatest college football turn-arounds ever from December 1998 to January 2001. He's also landed some of the greatest CFB players of all time, stealing some of said players from Texas when the Longhorns were at their best.

Until I see his career go down Tubberville-Aubbie/Snyder-05/Bowden-late years-style, I can't say I want anyone else in Norman. It's easy to be a fan of this program. I expect each year to be a run at the championship, and for the most part... we've made a run by doing what we're doing most of the Stoops era. I still hope we win the conference and get a shot at BCS redemption with what several chicken littles are declaring a lost season.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 10:19 PM
^ Especially Q....I never saw it. He grew on me and when he scored 6 TDs on the whorns...I bought in 100%

King Barry's Back
10/26/2010, 10:35 PM

They only call for his head because they are borderline retarded, and their family trees don't branch as often as some others.

I never thought Lester did anything to deserve the job (except to beat the mediocre Stoops?), and he definitely seems to be out of his league at an elite school -- but his on field results are pretty good.

jkjsooner
10/26/2010, 10:56 PM
I can't understand the Les hatin' down here, though it makes me laugh. Yeah, he can be a doofus, but they only lost once, and barely, and to a freaky good QB. LSU is still underrated IMHO.

And Stoops has the more recent end-game brain cramp -- by which I'm not touching the 2-point issue but only the "we surrender" punt followed by the "oh wait" rugby joke play. ;)

Stoops is not perfect, and we may never win another MNC under him, but he's too good to fire because you never know what we might do, and because you never know what we'll get after him.

Same goes for Les @ LSU.

Funny thing is that LSU isn't a traditional power. Outside of one year under Saban, LSU has been more successful under Miles than any stretch in my memory.

pappy
10/27/2010, 12:08 AM
Everyone who is bashing my post completely missed what I was saying. Like I said in the title thread This is not a fire stoops thread, that would be stupid. AKA it would be stupid to fire Stoops.

I used Les Miles' program as a comparison because he is a good coach with a good program and is getting complained about.

I'm saying Bob Stoops is not the best coach in the country, but he is close. I said I figure he's #5 - #10 in that range Which could mean he is #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10. With coaches in the top 10 its all opinion anyway.

I say Saban is a better coach cause he has won 2 national titles with 2 different programs since 2003. Tell me another coach who has done that within the same time frame?

Yes, Urban Meyer is not having a good year this year, but he just lost one of the greatest college players of all time (Tim Tebow, I know, I know I hate him too.) dislike him or not the guy was a great player not too mention the majority of his defense and his other best offensive players. He's also won 2 national titles and came 1 game away from having another shot at 1 in the past 4 seasons.

Someone brought up records and bowl records okay Saban's bowl record since 2000 vs Stoops bowl record since 2000. Saban is 5-3 with 2 national championships. Stoops is 5-5 with 1 national title.

Urban Meyer's Bowl record in that same span 6-1 with 2 national titles. Again Stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Jim Tressel's Bowl record is 5-4 with 1 national title. Which is better than Stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Mack Brown's bowl record is 7-3 with 1 national title. Again better than stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Les Miles' bowl record is 5-3 with 1 national title. Again better than stoops 5-5 1 national title.

If it wasn't for the fact that Pete Carrol decided to go pro I'd put his on here and his is better too. He isn't an active college coach so he doesn't count though.
Why bowl games cause its a game vs another team that should be around the same talent level as you so its comes more down to coaching.

Again I'm not saying to fire stoops. What I'm saying is it seems like people on here worship him as being the greatest coach ever and I'm saying a little bit of that is because he followed John Blake instead of someone else who was a good coach.

picasso
10/27/2010, 12:16 AM
I love the Switz but some of you folks need to remember a little thing he never dealt with called scholarship limits.
It's created parity in the world of college football.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 12:35 AM

yeah, Meyer is proving to be leagues above Stoops.

Meyer is a johnny-come-lately coach that won with a very good leader on his team. Now that guy is gone and you see the end result. So are the coaches that made Meyer's teams better. Charlie Strong for one.

Meyer won a national championship with Zook's recruits, much like we won with Blake's.

Without Jesus and Charlie, Meyer is looking to be a very average coach, because his team has not gotten better through out the season...And the kicker is, Meyer has a bunch of Juniors and Seniors starting.

Only 4 starters are Sophomores (3) and Freshmen (1).

In their 2 deep, Florida has:
7 Freshmen
7 Sophomores
10 Juniors
20 Seniors

Compare that to OU's:
15 Freshmen
9 Sophomores
11 Juniors
9 Seniors

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 12:36 AM
Someone brought up records and bowl records okay Saban's bowl record since 2000 vs Stoops bowl record since 2000. Saban is 5-3 with 2 national championships. Stoops is 5-5 with 1 national title.

Urban Meyer's Bowl record in that same span 6-1 with 2 national titles. Again Stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Jim Tressel's Bowl record is 5-4 with 1 national title. Which is better than Stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Mack Brown's bowl record is 7-3 with 1 national title. Again better than stoops 5-5 1 national title.

Les Miles' bowl record is 5-3 with 1 national title. Again better than stoops 5-5 1 national title.

These stats are a bit misleading though. Stoops has mostly got us into BCS bowls against very strong competition. None of those guys has 4 BCSCG appearances either.

I'd like to see a full on comparison of the quality of the opponents in those bowl games. No way is lester's record better than Stoops when you take into account the "level" of the bowl and the competition.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 01:02 AM
Pappy, this is the first year without Tebow.

this also happens to be the first year without Defensive Guru Charlie Strong.

This also happens to be his second year without his OC.

Meyer is a good coach, but he has only been to a BCS bowl 2 times. His others have been against second tier bowls.

No coach has gotten to 100 wins as fast a Stoops. No other coach has been to 4 BCS Title games. (take those away and go to the lower tier bowls, I am sure his record would be a lot better than 5-5. In fact his only other loss that was not a NC was in 1999 when OU played against Ole Miss in the Independence Bowl.)

Stoops has 6 Conference titles. All in a BCS -AQ conference.
Meyer has 4 Conference titles. Only 2 were in an BCS-AQ conference, with the other two from the Mountain West.

Ill take Stoops over any other coach if I had a choice.
He has proven to be a winner and loyal to the university.

Saban will bounce with the sound of money.
Meyer will bolt for a better gig.
Tressel, well, he is good, but he is not on Stoops level.

My Biased opinion when it comes to the top 5 coaches:

1. Saban
2. Stoops
3. Meyer
4. Tressel
5. Mack Brown

rainiersooner
10/27/2010, 01:33 AM
My Biased opinion when it comes to the top 5 coaches:

1. Saban
2. Stoops
3. Meyer
4. Tressel
5. Mack Brown

^THIS. You have to look at the big picture. I do put Saban at the top and here is why: he has consistently won at two different programs without any recognizable "once in a generation stars" to carry him. Meyer had Tebow; Mack Brown had Vince and even McCoy. Hell, I'd almost have to put sweater vest in this category: is there one player you would associate his success with? In the same way you would associate Brown and Meyer?

Stoops has done it year and year out.

I would put Carroll in there. And don't whine about Reggie Bush et al. Carroll is a great coach who produced at a high level.

pappy
10/27/2010, 11:12 AM
These stats are a bit misleading though. Stoops has mostly got us into BCS bowls against very strong competition. None of those guys has 4 BCSCG appearances either.

I'd like to see a full on comparison of the quality of the opponents in those bowl games. No way is lester's record better than Stoops when you take into account the "level" of the bowl and the competition.

I used bowl games because talent wise in those games are similar regardless of what bowl it is and it comes more down to coaching. Also of those 4 national title game appearances where our team was at the same talent level as their opponent how many of those games did bob's coaching vs the other named coaches do? just curious.

pappy
10/27/2010, 11:14 AM
Meyer will bolt for a better gig.

If Bob Stoops was at utah and got offered the Oklahoma job, Would he have left Utah to come to Oklahoma?

pappy
10/27/2010, 11:16 AM
yeah, Meyer is proving to be leagues above Stoops.

I never said Meyer was leagues above stoops I said Saban was leagues above stoops. I just said Meyer was 2nd best behind Saban.

pappy
10/27/2010, 11:18 AM
^THIS. You have to look at the big picture. I do put Saban at the top and here is why: he has consistently won at two different programs without any recognizable "once in a generation stars" to carry him. Meyer had Tebow; Mack Brown had Vince and even McCoy. Hell, I'd almost have to put sweater vest in this category: is there one player you would associate his success with? In the same way you would associate Brown and Meyer?

Stoops has done it year and year out.

I would put Carroll in there. And don't whine about Reggie Bush et al. Carroll is a great coach who produced at a high level.

How many Heisman Trophy winners has stoops had? And wasn't there another guy in there that came in 2nd in the voting?

tator
10/27/2010, 11:30 AM
was pappy in the red before this thread?

PDXsooner
10/27/2010, 11:44 AM
Wow. Does anyone realize how close we were to winning NC's in 2003 and 2008? We're talking inches in each game.

Jello Biafra
10/27/2010, 12:05 PM
ok. ive had enough lol...

stoops has played for 3 national titles. won one of them.

the year we played boise state....they would have beaten half of the BCS that year we just happened to be the team that drew them. that was a team with a backup WR under center.

the year we played WV...WV would have beaten half of the BCS contenders. we drew them we lost. end of story. nothing we could do about it.

the USC dealie....would have beaten EVERYONE by 21....that team was just that good....as years go by, we are understanding that damn near the entire team were pros....

LSU, we were beat up...qb was damn near on crutches and we came within 4 downs of tying that game...

florida, well it wasnt that long ago, you remember. not like we were blown out. i think we led a majority of that game.

olevetonahill
10/27/2010, 12:14 PM

Nope

ThinMan
10/27/2010, 12:21 PM
Oh Nick Zepp, you kooky little mf.

pappy
10/27/2010, 12:23 PM

I'm pretty confident that you're wrong here. He has played for 4 and won 1 of them.

pappy
10/27/2010, 12:27 PM

lol nope. Apparently thinking we should keep our head coach while at the same time saying he isn't the best coach in the country will get you there though. lol. ;)

aero
10/27/2010, 12:31 PM

the year we played boise state....they would have beaten half of the BCS that year we just happened to be the team that drew them. that was a team with a backup WR under center.

the year we played WV...WV would have beaten half of the BCS contenders. we drew them we lost. end of story. nothing we could do about it.

the USC dealie....would have beaten EVERYONE by 21....that team was just that good....as years go by, we are understanding that damn near the entire team were pros....

LSU, we were beat up...qb was damn near on crutches and we came within 4 downs of tying that game...

florida, well it wasnt that long ago, you remember. not like we were blown out. i think we led a majority of that game.

Thank you. My exact thoughts.

Sooner_Tuf
10/27/2010, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't trade Bob Stoops for any of the coaches mentioned in this thread (or anyone else that I know of).

A coach is more than just the record of his team. A great deal of the team's record is on the players themselves. I understand the coach-player relationship but you cannot put it all on the coach.

I think Bob Stoops is the best coach in college football.

Sooner-N-KS
10/27/2010, 01:10 PM

I believed Stoops was one of the best coaches until he quit on the team.

I can handle to 2 point decision. It was a bad call, but he thought he had a strategy to win the game.

I can't handle the decision to punt because he thought it was "futile." Oh, but it's not futile to have Murray, Broyles and Jones tossing the ball around to each other when the game was over?

Sooner_Tuf
10/27/2010, 01:24 PM

I can handle to 2 point decision. It was a bad call, but he thought he had a strategy to win the game.

I can't handle the decision to punt because he thought it was "futile." Oh, but it's not futile to have Murray, Broyles and Jones tossing the ball around to each other when the game was over?

Well then if you can't handle it whatever will you do?

ThinMan
10/27/2010, 01:41 PM

I love melodrama!

TUSooner
10/27/2010, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't trade Bob Stoops for any of the coaches mentioned in this thread (or anyone else that I know of).

A coach is more than just the record of his team. A great deal of the team's record is on the players themselves. I understand the coach-player relationship but you cannot put it all on the coach.

Thank you, Mrs. Stoops.

pappy
10/27/2010, 02:45 PM

Boise State would've won the orange bowl that year too (louisville vs wake forest) but would've lost to the other bcs bowl teams. Yeah we were playing with a wr at qb but if I remember correctly he played qb the entire season it wasn't like we got to the bowl game and our starting qb got injured and we just threw the ex-qb turned wr out there.

West Virginia just lost their head coach and were in total chaos and an assistant coach took over and beat us that year.

I'll agree with you on usc they were the best team in the country, but *nobody* would've predicted going into that game that usc would've beat OU by double digits even. Including yourself. Don't lie, you know its true.

LSU should've beat them. That drive where we came up 4 plays short. We had run the ball down there throat until those last 4 plays where we were close to the endzone and all of the sudden it was like the coaches thought to themselves well running the ball is dominating so lets pass the ball. And we did we passed it 4 times and lost the game. Thats a coaching mistake.

The Florida game was a great game and they had some good players and so did we. I blame KW more than Stoops for that loss. We hardly ran the hurry up and when we did we would score. We were dumb on the goaline.

And I already quoted your mishap about stoops national title appearrances being wrong. so I'll leave that alone.

btb916
10/27/2010, 02:49 PM
Well then if you can't handle it whatever will you do?

I know what he'll do. :cry:

tcrb
10/27/2010, 06:42 PM

Get over it. Nobody quit.

StoopTroup
10/27/2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah...I don't think Bob quit either but after hearing his explanations in the PC...it's apparent his head was thinking a whole lot differently than us fans were.

Sooner_Tuf
10/27/2010, 07:17 PM
Thank you, Mrs. Stoops.

You're welcome *o***u*k*r.

Crucifax Autumn
10/27/2010, 07:25 PM
I'd never want to lose Stoops for any of those other guys. Stoops brings character, a no-nonsense attitude, and a charitable heart to the community and he doesn't make a media event out of his generosity.

oumartin
10/27/2010, 07:36 PM
I'm just glad we're happy winning 9-10 games a year.

If there hadn't been the nineties to bring everyone do their knees people would be wanting Bob fired. It's obvious OU could never find anyone better than Bob.

We've become only slightly better than OSU in our thinking. Just be competitive and try not to look to silly on the big stage.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 07:48 PM
If Bob Stoops was at utah and got offered the Oklahoma job, Would he have left Utah to come to Oklahoma?

Not what I am saying at all.

I can see any good coach taking a step up. But Meyer, if offered the right amount, will bolt to Notre Dame. He has stated it more than that Notre Dame is his ultimate dream job.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 07:49 PM
I never said Meyer was leagues above stoops I said Saban was leagues above stoops. I just said Meyer was 2nd best behind Saban.

Saban isn't leagues ahead of Stoops either.

Top 5 coaches, are very subjective. For you to say any coach is leagues ahead of any other when they both are in the top 5 is just crazy.

Saban is good, and I think he is honestly the best there is right now, but that does not make him leagues better.

There was a point in time when everyone was saying Stoops was the best, and that included Carroll, Tressell, Meyer, and Saban back in the early 2000's.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 07:53 PM

stoops has played for 4 national titles. won one of them.

FIFY :P

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:58 AM
Not what I am saying at all.

I can see any good coach taking a step up. But Meyer, if offered the right amount, will bolt to Notre Dame. He has stated it more than that Notre Dame is his ultimate dream job.

Why didn't he leave at the end of last season to take his dream job? You know Notre Dame would've offered up his asking price. The fact is he turned it down and stayed at Florida. Just like Stoops turned it down and stayed at OU.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:59 AM
Saban isn't leagues ahead of Stoops either.

Top 5 coaches, are very subjective. For you to say any coach is leagues ahead of any other when they both are in the top 5 is just crazy.

Saban is good, and I think he is honestly the best there is right now, but that does not make him leagues better.

There was a point in time when everyone was saying Stoops was the best, and that included Carroll, Tressell, Meyer, and Saban back in the early 2000's.

Can you tell me what the key phraze in this is? I'll give you a hint its at the very end.

Crucifax Autumn
10/28/2010, 03:38 AM
Why didn't he leave at the end of last season to take his dream job? You know Notre Dame would've offered up his asking price. The fact is he turned it down and stayed at Florida. Just like Stoops turned it down and stayed at OU.

You have to remember though that he was busy pretending he was retiring to spend time with his family and then pretending he was retiring for his health and then pretending he was just gonna work part time and then...

:rolleyes:

SoonerBacker
10/28/2010, 06:16 AM
Apparently many have forgotten the "Chuck Chuck" and "Bury Barry" signs from the past. Now those coaches are viewed as OU greats! Every coach goes through times when the stupid fan base thinks they know more about the team and how to coach it than the coach does. (Yes! I think it is stupid to start slamming a coach at OU who has one of the best winning percentages in the history of college football.)

sendbaht
10/28/2010, 07:00 AM
I'm a man and I love Bob Stoops. He came to OU at a perfect time. I hope he stays many more years.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:02 PM
Me too. I think he's a great coach and I'm not saying get rid of him. I think that' the thing everyone has missed in my post I never said we should fire him...cause that would be stupid. I'm just saying I don't think he is the best coach in the country.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:06 PM
People keep bringing up how great a guy stoops is off the field and his integrity and what not and that's great...really it is. I'm not disagreeing with you there, but I don't watch football games because I think the coach is a good person. I don't watch football games because the coach is an ambassador for the game. For all we know Washington State's coach could be a great guy and an ambassador for the game, but his team sucks, so who would want to watch that?

note* I have no idea who washington state's coach is. Nor do I think our team sucks.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:12 PM
People keep bringing up how great a guy stoops is off the field and his integrity and what not and that's great...really it is. I'm not disagreeing with you there, but I don't watch football games because I think the coach is a good person. I don't watch football games because the coach is an ambassador for the game. For all we know Washington State's coach could be a great guy and an ambassador for the game, but his team sucks, so who would want to watch that?

note* I have no idea who washington state's coach is. Nor do I think our team sucks.

So in other words, if this was 1996, you would not be here talking about OU football or watching OU football?

Let me ask you this...how many games have you actually attended, not just watched on TV?

Let me guess, you became a Sooner Fan in January of 2001, right?

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:16 PM
Me too. I think he's a great coach and I'm not saying get rid of him. I think that' the thing everyone has missed in my post I never said we should fire him...cause that would be stupid. I'm just saying I don't think he is the best coach in the country.

And that is your right to think that.

many others still put him among the best...and there is no coach that is leagues better.

Stoops was winning before Saban got his name.
Stoops was winning before Carroll was hired at USC (and now is gone).
Stoops was winning before Tressell left youngstown st.
Stoops was winning before Meyer got his start as a Head Coach.
The only coach in my top 5 that was winning and got his name before Stoops was Mack Brown. And even his road is bumpy to say the least.

Until another coach can guide his team to 4 BCS titles, 6 Conference titles (where the conf has a CCG), and wins 100 games faster, then Stoops has his rightful spot as arguably the best in the business.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:18 PM
And FTR, the only reason I put Saban ahead of Stoops at this point is because he has won 2 national championships with two different teams. He was winning while at Michigan State too, but didnt fair all that well when it came to conference titles and national championships. Saban, IMHO, is the only coach that I would even consider being better than Bob Stoops at this point in time.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:33 PM
So in other words, if this was 1996, you would not be here talking about OU football or watching OU football?

Let me ask you this...how many games have you actually attended, not just watched on TV?

Let me guess, you became a Sooner Fan in January of 2001, right?

To be honest with you I became an OU fan when I went to my first OU game and OU lost 10-7 to california and john blake was the coach. I was born in the mid 80's so I didn't really pay attention to football until the 90's and I kinda liked nebraska before I went to an OU game. Even though they lost I became a huge fan. Atleast I'm honest. Oh and you asked how many games I've been too since then...double digits and not just games in norman I've also attended the big 12 title game.

Also when Bob Stoops was hired at OU I predicted a national championship within his 1st 2 years and what happened? And last year before the season started even with sam, gerald, trent, and gresham coming back I said OU could win it this year but my prediction is the 2011 season and I still stick to that opinion.

Oldnslo
10/28/2010, 01:34 PM

Just so you know: I didn't think you were a total f'n idiot until this post.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:35 PM
Until another coach can guide his team to 4 BCS titles, 6 Conference titles (where the conf has a CCG), and wins 100 games faster, then Stoops has his rightful spot as arguably the best in the business.

He lost 3 of the 4 bcs titles and he won atleast 2 conference titles because texas lost to someone else.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:36 PM
Just so you know: I didn't think you were a total f'n idiot until this post.

so you watch football because the coach is a great guy? liar.

But to be honest I don't think I really explained my point about washington state very well.

I watch every OU game from start to finish regardless of if we win or not. Its not cause our coach is a great guy off the field but because I'm a devoted OU fan.

I was just saying that I don't think Washington state gets many watchers because their coach is a great guy and like I said Idk if they're coach is or not I'm just saying people don't watch football because their coach is a great guy off the field and if they say they do then they're lying about it.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:39 PM
He lost 3 of the 4 bcs titles and he won atleast 2 conference titles because texas lost to someone else.

And texas got to a Big 12 Championship because OU lost to two other teams before. your point?

Also, getting to the BCS title game matter a lot more than winning the Sun bowl.

If you cannot see what Stoops is done, maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and go to the Pokes bandwagon.

If you were the coach...Would you sert your goals to win your games and have a true shot at being called national champions or win your games and win a secondary bowl game?

What is the ultimate goal? To get to the National Championship and hope to win it, or not even play for it?

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:41 PM
so you watch football because the coach is a great guy? liar.

I am still waiting to know when you started watching OU football? was it before Jan. 2001 or after?

You are the idiot that cannot see what Stoops has done, the entire body of work.

To you, apparently the only thing that matters is winning every game. It isnt good enough to get to the national championship...if you lose it, you are not a good coach.

picasso
10/28/2010, 01:42 PM
he won atleast 2 conference titles because texas lost to someone else.

And we won all of our other games. That's how sports works. You can't just win one particular game Pappy.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:42 PM
The ultimate goal is to win the national title. ... period.

you're awfully sensitive for an OU fan more like a poke fan. Maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and go be a poke fan.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=OU_Sooners75;3013475

To you, apparently the only thing that matters is winning every game. It isnt good enough to get to the national championship...if you lose it, you are not a good coach.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've been over this on this exact thread that if you're an ou football team and you don't win either the conference title or the national title then that season was a failure.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:45 PM
The ultimate goal is to win the national title. ... period.

you're awfully sensitive for an OU fan more like a poke fan. Maybe you should jump off the bandwagon and go be a poke fan.

it isnt sensitivity moron. You think because Stoops lost 3 NCGs that he is now a second tier coach to Saban.

Who cares about being able to actually get there.

Then you think that because Stoops benefitted from Texas losing after beating OU, that it is not good enough, even though Stoops won the damn conference.

You're a ****ing bandwagon fan if I have ever saw one!

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:46 PM
I am still waiting to know when you started watching OU football? was it before Jan. 2001 or after?

Also I answered this already I went to an OU game when blake was the coach and started following OU football. It was 1998 I believe.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:48 PM
Actually I've been over this on this exact thread that if you're an ou football team and you don't win either the conference title or the national title then that season was a failure.

How are they failures? Only in some fans minds.

Want to know what a failure of a season is?

the 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 seasons that we endured under Blake.
The 5-5-1 season we had under Smellyburger.
The losing to colorado, texas, and nebraska on a continous basis under Gibbs.

But since you never heard of the University of Oklahoma before Stoops arrived, I would not expect you to understand what true failure is.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:49 PM
it isnt sensitivity moron. You think because Stoops lost 3 NCGs that he is now a second tier coach to Saban.

Who cares about being able to actually get there.

Then you think that because Stoops benefitted from Texas losing after beating OU, that it is not good enough, even though Stoops won the damn conference.

You're a ****ing bandwagon fan if I have ever saw one!

You're a homer if I ever saw one.

If I was a bandwagon fan I would've quit being an OU fan after 2003's season or actually after the 2001 season since we didn't win the national title that year.

Why does it bother you so much that I can be an ou fan and not think we have the best coach in the country? I never said he was the worst coach in the country. Nor would I. He is No where near that area and he is very close to being the best coach in the country. I just think he isn't the best coach in the country.

OUTromBoNado
10/28/2010, 01:53 PM
I used Les Miles' program as a comparison because he is a good coach with a good program and is getting complained about.

It's apples and oranges trying to compare the situation with Les Miles and the situation with Stoops. Miles is being criticized because of his consistent lack of situational awareness and extremely poor clock management at the end of very close games. These are cardinal sins in coaching and are things that any decent coach aren't going to do on a repeated basis. It's simply by blind luck that LSU has won those games. It has nothing do with anything Miles did.

People are complaining because he's making the SAME stupid coaching mistakes over and over. One of these days, it will cost that team their whole season.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:55 PM
Also I answered this already I went to an OU game when blake was the coach and started following OU football. It was 1998 I believe.

So you cant even remember the year?

It was in 1988 when I was 13 when I became a fan. My first game I attended was in 1988 when OU played Kansas State. OU won that game 70-24. before then, I was a big time OSU wrestling fan. After that game, I was a big time OU fan in all the sports and have been ever since.

Since then, I have been to quite a few games and 2 Big 12 Championships.

From the time I got into the 9th grade until now, I have attended some 20 games (yeah, I know not a lot to be honest). After high school, I went on to play the game out of state.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 01:56 PM
You're a homer if I ever saw one.

If I was a bandwagon fan I would've quit being an OU fan after 2003's season or actually after the 2001 season since we didn't win the national title that year.

Why does it bother you so much that I can be an ou fan and not think we have the best coach in the country? I never said he was the worst coach in the country. Nor would I. He is No where near that area and he is very close to being the best coach in the country. I just think he isn't the best coach in the country.

If me backing what Stoops has accomplished, not just his wins, makes me a homer...I am happy to be one.

hell, if you were able to read, I think Saban is the best right now...but unlike your comments, he is not leagues better than Stoops.

pappy
10/28/2010, 01:57 PM
It's apples and oranges trying to compare the situation with Les Miles and the situation with Stoops. Miles is being criticized because of his consistent lack of situational awareness and extremely poor clock management at the end of very close games. These are cardinal sins in coaching and are things that any decent coach aren't going to do on a repeated basis. It's simply by blind luck that LSU has won those games. It has nothing do with anything Miles did.

People are complaining because he's making the SAME stupid coaching mistakes over and over. One of these days, it will cost that team their whole season.

I agree.

Les Miles is a bad example. How about this one. http://firecoachmeyer.com/

pappy
10/28/2010, 02:02 PM
If me backing what Stoops has accomplished, not just his wins, makes me a homer...I am happy to be one.

hell, if you were able to read, I think Saban is the best right now...but unlike your comments, he is not leagues better than Stoops.

Well I think you and I are arguing over nothing then. I am proud to have stoops as a coach. I also would only consider a couple other coaches a long with stoops if every team in the country lost their coach and every current college coach was going to take over a program. I would interview Saban, Stoops and then Meyer and because of his off the field work I would probably take stoops over the other 2, even though on the field I think Saban is a better coach and that Meyer is better in bigger games but the rest of the time stoops and him are interchangeable. Because there is more to the program than what happens on the field. That being said the off the field stuff a coach does isn't why people watch the games.

OU_Sooners75
10/28/2010, 02:09 PM
Because there is more to the program than what happens on the field. That being said the off the field stuff a coach does isn't why people watch the games.

There is a lot more behind the scenes than people realize.

And yes, Stoops going to OU Childrens Hospital, what he does away from his football office, does have a lasting affect on the program. It helps gain some very good recruits and opens up a true side to the public of who the guy is.

Oldnslo
10/28/2010, 02:49 PM
Ok, pappy, I'll take the bait.

If you have a coach like Bob Stoops, you not only have a winning program, you have a winning program you can be proud of. Look at another coach you mentioned as being a top guy: Pete Carroll.

Sure, his team won. But he also broke rules and left SC in the toilet. How about that bright shining moment on TV, when he took a dump on Sanchez for going pro? Did that reflect well on USC? With a guy like that, you get wins and then burnt.

Saban? Hell of a coach. Wins a bunch. Do you want to turn your son over to him? Think ol' Nick is running Sunday school programs? How do the folks feel about him in Miami... or LSU? Do they use words like "integrity" with him, other than to say he doesn't have it?

With a guy like Bob Stoops, you not only have wins, you also have a guy who you can trust. You don't have to worry that OU is going to be starring in some news story about how his guys are running wild on campus with drugs and guns. (and yes, I am WELL AWARE of OU's history. I was there when The King resigned).

Are there guys out there who may be better with X's and O's? Maybe. Are there guys out there who run a cleaner program? Doubt it. Are there better motivators? don't know. Are there other guys out there I'd want coaching my son? Not a whole lot.

Look at the big picture. Bob coaches and wins with integrity. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then you and I don't have a whole lot to talk about.

CatfishSooner
10/28/2010, 03:22 PM
pappyDOOSHHHH

ThinMan
10/28/2010, 03:32 PM
It's a lot like a married man saying so-and-so would be a better wife than what I've got.

If you aren't saying "we need a divorce" then you need to stay loyal no matter what.

Cinco Ranch Cougar
10/28/2010, 03:57 PM
PAPPY Puuuhhhhleeeeese!!!!!
I have called for Coach Stoops head about 5 times shortly after a gut wrenching loss and each time after some reflection I realize that we have a great coach and do want to lose him.
Not sure what your background is but I do have some experience in the area of dealing with 16 to 20 year old kids playing football at the high school and collegiate level.
Great athletes, immature, and given to moments of losing concentration would be putting it mildly as to what these coaches are dealing with every single day. If you can keep these kids focused for 12 games then you are super human but you still need for all the stars to be aligned etc.....
I'll keep Stoops for as long as he wants to stay.

Rickety_Syd
10/28/2010, 04:12 PM
Under Stoops, OU has won the most Big 12 titles (6), twice as many as the second-best team, Texas (3).

And more importantly,

Bob Stoops has put his team in positon to win more BCS titles than any other coach (4).

http://preview.canstockphoto.com/canstock3059919.png

C&CDean
10/28/2010, 04:13 PM
pappy = Nik?

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:18 PM
Question 1: At what point in my thread did I say we should fire bob stoops?

Qustion 2: You latest to join did you not notice the part where I said I would pick stoops over saban, meyer ect...because of his off the field stuff?

oumartin
10/28/2010, 04:23 PM
pappy you are an outcast if you don't drink the kool aid.

Welcome to Jonestown..

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:28 PM
Bob Stoops has put his team in positon to win more BCS titles than any other coach (4).

That's what I'm saying right there is my problem its very pokeish to be happy with almost winning. Being happy because you got there. Is he a great coach for getting there 4 times? You bet he is. But to put that down as an accomplishment to brag about is not something he should brag about, because he lost 3 not just 3 but the last 3 he has gone too. So brag about winning the first 1 but don't be happy b/c you got to participate in 3 others. That makes people settle for being 2nd. I thought OU was about championships a lot of people on here will agree with that.

If he had gotten to 7 big 12 title games and won 3 of them would you still be happy b/c he got us to 4 others? That's something okie lite fans would be excited about and would brag about.

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:28 PM

Welcome to Jonestown..

Picked up on that. ... Thanks man. :D

ThinMan
10/28/2010, 04:40 PM
Qustion 2: You latest to join did you not notice the part where I said I would pick stoops over saban, meyer ect...because of his off the field stuff?

"That being said the off the field stuff a coach does isn't why people watch the games."

I applaud your attempt to play both sides of the fence so that you could criticize and then say, "oh you just didn't listen." It was a good attempt to eat your words and repeat them too.

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:43 PM
"That being said the off the field stuff a coach does isn't why people watch the games."

So you played both sides of the fence so that you could criticize and then say, "oh you just didn't listen." it is a good attempt to eat your cake and have it too.

That's not playing both sides what I mean is...if someone randomly came up to you and asked you "Are you a football fan?" you would say "Yes." and then they said "Well, Why do you watch football? you wouldn't say because the coach is a great guy off the field.

ThinMan
10/28/2010, 04:49 PM
That's not playing both sides what I mean is...if someone randomly came up to you and asked you "Are you a football fan?" you would say "Yes." and then they said "Well, Why do you watch football? you wouldn't say because the coach is a great guy off the field.

And so ... the point is?

Keep going. Lets see if you can actually commit to the unspoken point you are trying to make.

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:52 PM
And so ... the point is?

Keep going. Lets see if you can actually commit to the unspoken point you are trying to make.

Well you're so smart do you know what the uspoken point is that I'm trying to make?

Rickety_Syd
10/28/2010, 04:53 PM
That's what I'm saying right there is my problem its very pokeish to be happy with almost winning. Being happy because you got there. Is he a great coach for getting there 4 times? You bet he is. But to put that down as an accomplishment to brag about is not something he should brag about, because he lost 3 not just 3 but the last 3 he has gone too. So brag about winning the first 1 but don't be happy b/c you got to participate in 3 others. That makes people settle for being 2nd. I thought OU was about championships a lot of people on here will agree with that.

If he had gotten to 7 big 12 title games and won 3 of them would you still be happy b/c he got us to 4 others? That's something okie lite fans would be excited about and would brag about.

Don't know. It's also kind of "Pokeish" to win one once, never challenge ever again and be happy with that.

Sure, fans want titles, as many as we can get, but in reality it's extremely hard to win the championship. The best you can hope for to be in contention, and Stoops has put OU in a position to win the title more than any other coach. No team has been to more BCS title games than OU and no team has spent more time as the BCS No. 1 ranked team.

pappy
10/28/2010, 04:53 PM
Or do you go to games and watch games because you and the coach hang out off the field and he's just a super guy?

cmoneyou
10/28/2010, 04:57 PM
Don't know. It's also kind of "Pokeish" to win one once, never challenge ever again and be happy with that.

Sure, fans want titles, as many as we can get, but in reality it's extremely hard to win the championship. The best you can hope for to be in contention, and Stoops has put OU in a position to win the title more than any other coach. No team has been to more title games than OU and no team has spent more time as the BCS No. 1 ranked team.

There was only one game that OU didn't keep it competitive. Remember we were only a couple of plays from winning the rest of the games. It's not like we were completely outcoached, sometimes the plays just didn't get made.

ThinMan
10/28/2010, 05:43 PM
Well you're so smart do you know what the uspoken point is that I'm trying to make?

Are you claiming you told this anecdote with absolutely no point germaine to the original discussion?

Like I said, I applaud the mental dexterity you possess to play both sides.

pappy
10/28/2010, 09:54 PM
Like I said, I applaud the mental dexterity you possess to play both sides.

This is why I'm stuck in the red. Opening discussion and giving non kool aid comments. It's cool though it doesn't matter to me if I'm red or green. But seriously if you're implying that I want Stoops fired then you're wrong. I don't want stoops fired. All I was saying is that stoops is a great coach that gives us a great chance to win every year, but that from a football (on the field only) perspective there are better coaches out there. Then everyone twisted it to me wanting him fired and arguing about the other coaches so then I had to defend my opinion. That doesn't mean that I changed anyone else's opinion and some of you have made valid statements about your opinion and I respect those. BOOMER!

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 08:50 AM

Welcome to Jonestown..

Well some of us have to support the team win or lose. Lord knows we've got enough unhappy little ****wads like you who get their jollies ragging out the team.

How about we make a deal? When OU wins, you just STFU and don't post. If they lose, you just STFU and don't post. Go to the SO and post about something you know about like dirty pron. Deal?

SoonerFaninAZ
10/29/2010, 12:50 PM
Even acknowledging the tradition of Oklahoma football, any time a coach at the University of Oklahoma can get his team in position to compete with, and beat major college football teams in California, Texas and Florida, he simply must be ranked in the top handful of coaches across the country.

Define it anyway you want. As a recruiter. As a motivator. As an X's and O's guy. I don't care.

The fact is the USCs, the Texas' and the Floridas should be better than Oklahoma every year. And there are a couple of handfuls of other teams that should be competing annually on a level at least with OU and probably a notch above.

And fandom should not be defined by the number of games attended.

stoopified
10/29/2010, 03:14 PM
It's my honest belief that it's Bob's Bowl Record that spawns lots of this muck raking. Truth is...he needs to really figure that one out. I think you do have to consider though that a few of those lost Bowl Games were for all the marbles and at that point I think it's amazing how many opportunities he has provided not just OU and his players but all of the Sooner Fans. We've gotten to see the promised land quite a few times and that IMO is what keeps us drooling at the bit.I do think those who critcze Bob for being 5-6 in bowl games aren't weighing all factors involved in that record.Figured in that record is a 1-3 record in BCS title games which means FOUR times Bob has been in the toughest BCS game.

Looking closer at that,I can't help thinking if Jason White doesn't break his wrist in the KSU game he would be more effective passing vs.LSU which was still only 21-14 wth JW incapaitated.In the FU game OU was without their best back Murray while FU had Harvin.Want to guess how that came comes out if Harvin is out and Murray in? Also we were down to OUr 3rd team MLB(Balouagan) for that contest.

As for OUr other bowl losses; BSU needed three trick plays to beat a wounded OU team that was missing Malcolm Kelly,and returning AD after 5 game alyoff.The Broncos who were ranked ahead of us still only won by 1.West Virginia played an OU team without starters Reggie Smith,Granger,Kelly,Holmes,Reynolds.I really think it was arrogant for anyone to think OU could still win that game.

pappy
10/29/2010, 03:16 PM
Well some of us have to support the team win or lose. Lord knows we've got enough unhappy little ****wads like you who get their jollies ragging out the team.

How about we make a deal? When OU wins, you just STFU and don't post. If they lose, you just STFU and don't post. Go to the SO and post about something you know about like dirty pron. Deal?

I know this wasn't directed at me but at someone else but I would just like to say that even if we had beaten missouri the other night I would still be saying that I don't think stoops is the best coach in the country. I'm not saying it because he lost 1 game this season. Just being honest.

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:24 PM
I know this wasn't directed at me but at someone else but I would just like to say that even if we had beaten missouri the other night I would still be saying that I don't think stoops is the best coach in the country. I'm not saying it because he lost 1 game this season. Just being honest.

Know what? I'm sure you've heard the phrase before, but if the tenny fits, lace it up: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open you're ****ing trapper and remove all doubt."

Yeah, we get it. We know what you're saying. You've said it a brazillion times already. Stoops ain't the best. Comprende. Gotcha. Right on. Power to the mother****ing people.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 03:27 PM
As long as he is better than

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/huskerextra.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/8/97/41e/89741ece-b957-11df-92a2-001cc4c03286-revisions/4c84463aa2545.preview-300.jpg

and

http://blogs.trb.com/sports/custom/business/blog/CoachPic.jpg

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:27 PM
Well who ain't better than a red x?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 03:31 PM
fixed it bitch

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:41 PM
Indeed you did. And indeed you are correct sir.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 03:43 PM
Can you imagine how wasted howard would be facing colorado at 815 pm?

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:44 PM
"fumbuzzle it boys, hiccup, monbeydooble that man! Thooner shnnayshion...'

starclassic tama
10/29/2010, 03:45 PM
The fact is the USCs, the Texas' and the Floridas should be better than Oklahoma every year. And there are a couple of handfuls of other teams that should be competing annually on a level at least with OU and probably a notch above.

says who? history disagrees with you...

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 03:48 PM
LEEESIN boyz...me and eddie sutton's goins fer da drinks...if that crack beech son of his shews up, teel him to **** off, and tell the team i'll bee back attt 814....

StoopTroup
10/29/2010, 03:50 PM
Farmboy/Roughnecks > ghey ranchhands, Surfer/skateboarders and Orange Grove pickers

C&CDean
10/29/2010, 03:58 PM
Are you already drinking Greg?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 03:59 PM
if he is awake, then the answer is yes

stoops the eternal pimp
10/29/2010, 04:00 PM
BTW, troup this tweet made me think of you

“Yes I got him a gift. He had a kidney stone. You **** a rock through your pecker, you deserve more than just a pat on the ****ing back."

SoonerFaninAZ
10/29/2010, 04:07 PM
says who? history disagrees with you...

Says me. History doesn't disagree with me. History says nothing about who "should" be better. It concerns itself only with who was better.

There are far superior football players in those states compared to Oklahoma. That OU is able to go down into Texas on an annual basis and convince those players to come to OU over Texas, Texas A&M, and eight other D-1 schools says a lot about tradition. It also says a lot about the guy running the program.

Should USC get the best players in California? Should Texas get the best players in Texas? Should Florida or Florida state get the best players in Florida? The answer to all three is yes. So, with that, those teams should always be better than OU.

Why haven't they? The Oklahoma tradition is one reason, of course. But the people running the program have had to keep it up. Keep feeding the monster. And Bob Stoops has been feeding it.

It's very difficult to win a "National Championship." On the field or in the polls. Only one team gets to do it. (Well, most years). And to say that at OU, "we expect Championships," is very correct. But, in truth, OU football has delivered beyond reasonable expectation.

SoonerKnight
10/29/2010, 05:50 PM
4 National titles stoops has played in and only what three non-BCS bowls. It is easy to hit on Stoops because he has lost some games. But lets look at what he has done (briefly). He has schedlued tough competition year in and year out. We play in a pretty good conference remember that three way tie well we won that and got a shot at all the marbles. That defense played light years ahead of itself. Remember the D was not that stout at the beginning of the season. 2006 we lose our starting QB then we start a WR as QB and the next year we play a guy named Sammy B and he was a three star recruit that no one had heard of. If he had not gotten hurt last year well F*ck *****!!! anywho to say he is 5-10 in current coaches all I can say is yeah right. There are a lot of people that would hire Stoops and the most valuble thing Stoops has brought is loyalty. Yes he is loyal to his assistant coaches but he has also been loyal to OU and that makes him a great coach because Saban and Myer they are not so loyal. We do not have to worry that Stoops is going to drop us like a bad habit!!! Saban will leave soon watch!

pappy
10/29/2010, 08:16 PM
Know what? I'm sure you've heard the phrase before, but if the tenny fits, lace it up: "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open you're ****ing trapper and remove all doubt."

Yeah, we get it. We know what you're saying. You've said it a brazillion times already. Stoops ain't the best. Comprende. Gotcha. Right on. Power to the mother****ing people.

Other than off the field stuff (integrity, loyalty and what not) I haven't heard a decent defense of why you should consider stoops as the best coach in the country. I get it you agree with me that I have my opinion and you have yours and your copied quote would apply to you as well just with some slight differences. So are you right or a fool? Probably a little of both and I'm sure the same goes for me.

The only thing that really matters is that come saturday around 8:15 pm You and I will both be watching the sooners and one of the best coaches in the country dominate the buffalos! BOOMER!

TheMind__Gap
12/8/2010, 03:47 PM
The guys at 1 and 2 (saban and meyer) are leagues ahead of him. The only reason you'll argue that is because you're a homer with crimson colored glasses.

Bump for the Meyer reference.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 03:51 PM
I'm guessing Saban took a little heat on the Bama boards for this season after being tagged the obvious choice for #1. The loss to Auburn after leading 24-0 probably didn't earn Nick any points either.

SoonerNutt
12/8/2010, 04:09 PM
I can't wait for Les to be fired by LSU.

I spend a good deal of time in Louisiana, and those fans are ridiculous. They think they have such a strong program that they can fire a successful coach and just keep cruising along. It never works that way. When they do fire him for only winning 8 or 9 games one year, look for "Tigabait" to fade back into pre-Saban mediocrity.

And what makes it great entertainment is that the fans hate his guts. The AD there clearly doesn't have a great relationship with him, but he would be wise not to be the guy who fires a very successful coach and brings on a new dark age. The fans may hate Les, but they will make the AD the villain if Les is fired and the successor can't win.

bmjlr
12/8/2010, 04:22 PM
I can't wait for Les to be fired by LSU.

I spend a good deal of time in Louisiana, and those fans are ridiculous. They think they have such a strong program that they can fire a successful coach and just keep cruising along. It never works that way. When they do fire him for only winning 8 or 9 games one year, look for "Tigabait" to fade back into pre-Saban mediocrity.

And what makes it great entertainment is that the fans hate his guts. The AD there clearly doesn't have a great relationship with him, but he would be wise not to be the guy who fires a very successful coach and brings on a new dark age. The fans may hate Les, but they will make the AD the villain if Les is fired and the successor can't win.

See Nebraska firing Solich after a 9 or 10 win season. Same thing

85sooners
12/8/2010, 05:00 PM
Screw u pappy!!

pappy
12/8/2010, 06:29 PM
Screw u pappy!!

thanks for the offer but I'm not gay....thanks though.

pappy
12/8/2010, 06:33 PM
Bump for the Meyer reference.

Him stepping down doesn't change what I said when he was active. Give him a couple years (if not sooner) and he'll be back.

TheMind__Gap
12/8/2010, 06:48 PM
Him stepping down doesn't change what I said when he was active. Give him a couple years (if not sooner) and he'll be back.

Really? At the time you wrote this, your wonderful coach Meyer was on a 3 game losing streak. He would go on to lose 2 more including a 31-7 beatdown to a team we only beat 47-17. Add to that the fact that he has quit on his team twice in less than a year proves to me he is a lesser coach/man than Stoops.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 07:06 PM
suck it pappy

bikerdood
12/8/2010, 07:17 PM
...So, Pappy... Have ya' quit droolin' on yer' Big Chief notepad yet???...
...Heh... What a maroon!!!

PDXsooner
12/8/2010, 07:32 PM
What a retarded original post.