PDA

View Full Version : Were not as far away as it may seem after our loss

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:44 PM
I think if we were all honest, it was reasonable that we werent going undefeated. Too much youth, too many close calls. With big road games left against Baylor and osu, yes I said Baylor, plus a potential conf title game against neb or mizzou, we still have a shot. Again, we have to prove we can put 4 quarters together and play better on the road which we are still waiting on, but it isnt outside of the realm.

Look at what those above us have left as far as decent opponents go...

Auburn- @Ole Miss- Trap Game?
Georgia- Playing alot better
@Bama

Oregon- @USC
Washington- you never know, they have talent
Arizona- Cmon Mikey
@Oregon St- Civil War game

Boise- Hawaii- Their close game against usc is looking better
@Nevada

TCU- @Utah
San Diego St- Nearly beat mizzou

Michigan St- @Iowa
@Penn St- been bad this year but it is still Penn St

Mizzou- @Nebraska- They are losing this one IMO
@Tech
@Iowa St- dont laugh

Alabama- @Lsu
Mississippi St
Auburn

Utah- @Air Force
TCU
@Notre Dame
@San Diego St
BYU

This is what we know for sure

2 teams are guaranteed to lose out of Bama, Aub, Tcu, Utah

That gets us up to atleast 7.

Now, It is highly likely that Mizzou and Mich St lose this weekend. That would put us up to 5. Ideally Bama would lose to LSU to eliminate Bama and then Aub would lose to Bama in the last game, basically eliminating them

Basically we can get to #5 just by pure math. If Mich St and Mizzou lose this week we are sitting pretty. High enough to be a threat in case of upsets but not so high that the pressure is enormous.

Again, we have to take care of some tough games of our own but I guess the point is, the season isnt over yet folks. Sit back, enjoy, and be a fan of the opponents of those schools.

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 12:46 PM
As long as you control (at least part of) your own destiny...there's hope. Good post.

KantoSooner
10/26/2010, 12:52 PM
You're correct, of course, but I'm still pissed enough to feel like doing penance and not thinking about it. Losing to Mizzou was so preventable and we just pissed it away. Argh.
As long as the win the next one, and the one after that, I'll be okay, I guess.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:53 PM
It is harder to deal with cus we left 14-17 pts on the field and lost by 9, thats where it gets at me the most

agoo758
10/26/2010, 12:54 PM
If Michigan St. gets by Iowa, I see them in the national championship game. That being said, I forsee that their magic is about to run out....

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 12:55 PM
If I have to root for teams I despise (LSU, USC), I will in order to better OUr Sooners' chances.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:57 PM
gotta do what we gotta do :D

OUmillenium
10/26/2010, 12:59 PM
It is harder to deal with cus we left 14-17 pts on the field and lost by 9, thats where it gets at me the most

Yes, but the silver lining to me is twofold...
1. We lost. No pressure of going undefeated/getting to the BCS title game on this young qb and team now. Although I wish we were still undefeated, of course.
2. Better to lose to ranked Mizzou on the road, in the rain - and finish strong rather than go undefeated and get smoked by Auburn or Boise St in the title game. By smoked, I mean something like 60-13.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 01:02 PM
We're Doomed!

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 01:04 PM
You guys think we get shunned by a 1-loss SEC Champion? It would be great if Bammer, Auburn and LSU ended up with a couple losses each but it ain't likely. Maybe for Bammer and LSU but I don't see Auburn losing a pair.

I apologize for a possible hijackin'. ;)

Collier11
10/26/2010, 01:04 PM
arrrggghhhhh!

OU Engineer
10/26/2010, 01:05 PM
@Tech
@Iowa St- dont laugh

I still laughed...

Collier11
10/26/2010, 01:05 PM
You guys think we get shunned by a 1-loss SEC Champion? It would be great if Bammer, Auburn and LSU ended up with a couple losses each but it ain't likely. Maybe for Bammer and LSU but I don't see Auburn losing a pair.

I apologize for a possible hijackin'. ;)

A 1 loss Sec Champ would get in over a 1 Loss Big 12 champ IMO. FWIW, I picked Auburn to win that division preseason :D

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 01:11 PM
A 1 loss Sec Champ would get in over a 1 Loss Big 12 champ IMO. FWIW, I picked Auburn to win that division preseason :D

What if Auburn's loss was in late November to a 2-loss Bammer? Also, the SEC could be it's own worst enemy considering the East Champ could have 3-4 losses. I do agree with ya, tho.....they probably squeeze by.

Tigeman
10/26/2010, 01:13 PM
Collier,

One prob. I see w/ your math... I see Mizzou staying ahead of us in the polls even if they drop to Nebbish this weekend. Actually it's a non-factor, b/c if they win out and we win out for a shot at the rematch, everything works out. We're actually better off if we get a shot at the rematch of an undefeated Mizzou. But I guess if Nebbish beats up Mizzou this weekend the pollsters will look at the TX game as a fluke and run them up pretty high in the poles. They'll at the least get a big bump. Which will still help us if we play them.

What could be good is to see bama beat auburn, play USCe in the SECCG and USCe beat them again (don't really see that happening). But would be nice!

Collier11
10/26/2010, 01:16 PM
Yea, best case we get a rematch with Mizzou

stoopified
10/26/2010, 01:27 PM
Just let the season play out and see what happens.I think an NC shot is unlikely but a Top 5 or Top 10 finish is QUITE possible.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 01:31 PM
I think we'll lose the rest of our games and that Baylor will play in a BSC Bowl.

tooslow
10/26/2010, 01:39 PM
I think if we were all honest, it was reasonable that we werent going undefeated. Too much youth, too many close calls. With big road games left against Baylor and osu, yes I said Baylor, plus a potential conf title game against neb or mizzou, we still have a shot..

Since we're being honest, I feel we have a good shot to win the Conference. Performing well in 2 out of 7 games is not saying much. I think we are further away from being a BCS Championship contender than I thought a few weeks ago. Heck, I even made excuses to others as to why our defense was rated so poorly. I was sure they would perform against Mizzou. Nope, didn't happen. So far, this years team is about as good as last years, except for more close games at home. :(

And..... no matter how bad the whorns suck, we beat them this year. That will add a little sunshine no matter what our record is. :)

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 01:51 PM
We can finish top 5, but we are not a top 5 team.

We will, however, prison rape anyone we face in a bowl game. All this young talent getting a month to prepare for someone? Yowza.

C&CDean
10/26/2010, 01:57 PM

I disagree. Sybil personality #1 is a top 5 team. Sybil personality #2 is a top 25 team. Sybil personality #3 blows massive chunks of putrified liver bile. If we can just get the meds right this team could be very good.

TUSooner
10/26/2010, 02:05 PM
Interesting. Here's my random $.02

Auburn- @Ole Miss- Trap Game?
Georgia- Playing alot better
@Bama
Auburn may lose to Bama, but unless Bama has other losses, it won't matter, due to the SEC love fest still afflicting college football

Oregon- @USC
Washington- you never know, they have talent
Arizona- Cmon Mikey
@Oregon St- Civil War game
UO has the best chance of losing, amybe more than once, and I hope they do, because their coach is a brat

Boise- Hawaii- Their close game against usc is looking better
@Nevada
BSU will not lose, sadly. They have already played both of their two pitiful "must-win" games of the season. Oh, how I want somebody to crush them.

TCU- @Utah
San Diego St- Nearly beat mizzou

vs Utah might be interesting, but I donlt see a TCU loss.

Michigan St- @Iowa
@Penn St- been bad this year but it is still Penn St

Where does the Big Ten-or-so get off with having good games and teams after being so bland and boring for so long?! MSU-Iowa could be a great one to watch, but I don't see Penn State doing anything to help us (or themseolves, for that matter)

@Tech
@Iowa St- dont laugh
I'm not laughing, except that Tech seems kinda funny this year

Alabama- @Lsu
Mississippi St
Auburn
Unless Bama loses to both LSU and Auburn, they will not drop. It's that SEC love fest.

Utah- @Air Force
TCU
@Notre Dame
@San Diego St
BYU I'd drop the last 3 from that list of possible problems.

Really, I just want OU to win and would rather relax and watch those games without worrying too much about whether anybody can help OU.

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 02:09 PM
I disagree. Sybil personality #1 is a top 5 team. Sybil personality #2 is a top 25 team. Sybil personality #3 blows massive chunks of putrified liver bile. If we can just get the meds right this team could be very good.

That's why I think any team we face in a bowl game will leave with a sore backside. But during the season it's hard to get the meds right. You need time for the chemists to work their magic!

KBoomer11
10/26/2010, 02:48 PM
If we win out and win a BCS bowl game I think it sets us up to be ranked in the top 3 for next year.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 03:24 PM

We will, however, prison rape anyone we face in a bowl game. All this young talent getting a month to prepare for someone? Yowza.

Disagree strongly, in some seasons no but in this particular season where there doesnt seem to be any great teams and most every team is susceptible to an upset, if we finish 11-2 or 12-1, we are a legit top 5 team

soonercastor
10/26/2010, 03:27 PM
Lots of football to be played folks, as a matter of fact I see Auburn losing @ Ole Miss this week-end, Cam Newton can run all he want but their defense is still bad and they can't pass for ****. Like collier said let's sit back and relax...the spotlight is away from us for the time being.

:pop:

swardboy
10/26/2010, 03:31 PM
WE ARE FIGHTING FOR THE HONOR OF PHIL STEELE!!!!!!!

oudavid1
10/26/2010, 03:38 PM
Lets just beat Colorado, but great thread (as always) Colly.

texaspokieokie
10/27/2010, 10:57 AM

both teams always get a month to prepare, & (obviously) someone always loses. some young & some old.

i've heard many times that Joe Pa is an exceedingly good coach for bowl games, with all that time to prepare. he has lost to OU twice. long preparation
goes both ways.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 11:04 AM
If Michigan St. gets by Iowa, I see them in the national championship game. That being said, I forsee that their magic is about to run out....

Yea, their schedule is cake(no tOSU) and I think their coach is a class guy but that would be a terrible MNC game.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 11:06 AM

I don't think you can say that. We always play great the back half of the season. There's a lot of football still left.

jonclarkx
10/27/2010, 01:26 PM
If Mich St and Mizzou lose this week we are sitting pretty.

Would it be better for Mizzou to win against Neb and win out so we could potentially face them in the Big 12 Title Game? Beating a high ranked Mizzou would probably give us a boost right before bowl selections assuming we win out. (Plus, we could say we beat every one of our opponents in the regular season)

Collier11
10/27/2010, 01:34 PM
yea after I posted that I rethought it and Mizzou winning is def better

Scott D
10/27/2010, 02:26 PM

we left 24 points on the field, but don't let that stop you ;)

tulsaoilerfan
10/27/2010, 03:12 PM
I think we'll lose the rest of our games and that Baylor will play in a BSC Bowl.

BSC? :D

Sooner Brewcrew
10/27/2010, 03:14 PM
There's a chance but we will need an aweful lot of help to get there. I'm not sure this team is ready for the big time though. They have to play better on the road.

texaspokieokie
10/27/2010, 03:54 PM
does your "brew Crew" work inside or outside of Big Mac ???;)

sooner59
10/27/2010, 05:18 PM
Final BCS rankings:

1. Alabama (12-1 SEC champ)
2. Oklahoma (12-1 Big 12 champ)
3. Boise State (12-0 WAC champ) - Computer rankings are a b****!
4. TCU (12-0 MWC champ)
5. Auburn (11-1)

You're welcome. :D

PLaw
10/27/2010, 05:25 PM
C11 - years ago I would have been right there with you, amigo - figuring all of the angles, assigning probabilities, and ciphering what needed to be done to repaint that darn scoreboard, but facts are stubborn things.

Fact is our special teams do not play at championship caliber week in and week out. Five kickers on 'ship?? Are you kidding me?

Fact is our defense is weak between the tackles and lack experience to play consistently for four quarters. On a big stage they wilted against a good, but not great offense.

Fact is our offense, while vastly improved over last season, is still prone to make drive killing mistakes at critical points.

While I hope and pray we go undefeated through the bowl game (and I will live or die on virtually every snap), fact is the probability of winning out is pretty low.

Keep the faith - Long Live Bob.

BOOMER

sendbaht
10/27/2010, 05:30 PM
wow, thanks, lots of good info. We have tons of hope.

KantoSooner
10/27/2010, 05:37 PM
On a big stage they wilted against a good, but not great offense.

I agree with most of what you wrote except this. Mizzou's offense is woeful. Our de simply played even worse that night.

Collier11
10/27/2010, 05:56 PM
I agree with most of what you wrote except this. Mizzou's offense is woeful. Our de simply played even worse that night.

You might want to reassess your statement, they arent a GREAT offensive team but they are pretty damn good

26th in the nation in points scored
32nd in the nation in yards per game

Collier11
10/27/2010, 05:58 PM
C11 - years ago I would have been right there with you, amigo - figuring all of the angles, assigning probabilities, and ciphering what needed to be done to repaint that darn scoreboard, but facts are stubborn things.

Fact is our special teams do not play at championship caliber week in and week out. Five kickers on 'ship?? Are you kidding me?

Fact is our defense is weak between the tackles and lack experience to play consistently for four quarters. On a big stage they wilted against a good, but not great offense.

Fact is our offense, while vastly improved over last season, is still prone to make drive killing mistakes at critical points.

While I hope and pray we go undefeated through the bowl game (and I will live or die on virtually every snap), fact is the probability of winning out is pretty low.

Keep the faith - Long Live Bob.

BOOMER

But you would agree that with nearly every team under Stoops, they have gotten better as the year went on correct? That is what we have to put our faith behind...

Also, with the sorry azz BCS, that is about the most exciting thing to do is look at the scenarios :D

CincySooner
10/28/2010, 07:41 AM
There are two VERY important things that everyone is forgetting in all of their "what if" scenarios.

1) Big XII Championship game
2) SEC Championship game