PDA

View Full Version : Finished Early...

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 10:03 AM
I don't know that I like this?

:pop:

OU notebook: OU-Texas A&M set for 6 p.m.

Oklahoma's Travis Lewis (right) tries to contain Missouri's Henry Josey during Saturday's game in Columbia, Mo. STEPHEN PINGRY / Tulsa World
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 10/26/2010 2:18 AM
Last Modified: 10/26/2010 7:08 AM

Oklahoma's Nov. 6 game at Texas A&M has been set for a 6 p.m. kickoff.

The game will be televised on FSN cable 27.

Lewis hurt: Oklahoma linebacker Travis Lewis wore a cast over the lower part of his right hand on Monday, with his thumb and index finger exposed. Lewis practiced, but declined interview requests afterward.

Lewis, a junior from San Antonio, made eight tackles (two for loss) Saturday in a 36-27 loss at Missouri. The Butkus Award semifinalist leads OU this season with 67 tackles.

Jones advances: OU quarterback Landry Jones is one of 16 semifinalists for the Davey O'Brien Award, given to the nation's top quarterback.

Jones is tied for 18th nationally in total offense (285.4 yards per game), 10th in passing yards (2,094), tied for 12th in passing touchdowns (17) and 34th in passer efficiency (a 142.1 rating).

Murray's excellence: DeMarco Murray on Saturday surpassed 1,000 all-purpose yards for the season (1,054), making him the only Sooner to do it four times. He had 1,263 yards on rushes, catches and returns as a freshman, a school-record 2,171 as a sophomore and 1,227 as a junior. A handful of Sooners, including Joe Washington, Adrian Peterson and De'Mond Parker, did it three times.

Murray now has 5,715 all-purpose yards, just 166 behind OU career leader Joe Washington (5,881).

Kicking swing: When OU's Jimmy Stevens missed a short field goal with the wind at his back that could have made it 17-17, and
when Mizzou's Grant Ressell - who finished the first half with a 36-yarder - answered Stevens' miss with a 36-yarder into the wind for a 20-14 lead, the Sooners lost momentum.

"It's frustrating," Stoops said. "It's a huge part of the game, with momentum if you score. It's a big deal. You've got the wind. It's a 30-yarder, it's a chip shot."

Recruiting talk: Stoops was asked if he would seek help from the junior college ranks at quarterback (Jones went 0-for-7 in the fourth quarter) and defensive tackle (they produced no pass rush and got consistently pushed aside versus the run), and if he would consider offering a scholarship to another kicker when the Sooners already have two (Stevens and punter Tress Way) on scholarship.

"Definitely," he answered to all three. "We're always looking. We're constantly analyzing and speculating and looking at recruits for sure. ... There's a number of positions we're looking at."

Finished early
OU coach Bob Stoops said he ordered a punt with 2 1/2 minutes left facing a fourth-and-10 from the OU 7 instead of going for it on fourth down because "we weren't scoring twice" and he didn't want the final margin to look worse than it was.

"Hey, who knows? It's a long year. Who knows how poll people look at scores, those kinds of things," Stoops said. "I thought it was futile. Had we had a reasonable amount (of time) and been in some kind of field position, or had we shown any signs over the three previous plays of making a play, I probably would have (gone for it). But I didn't see that." Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101026_92_B5_CUTLIN930908

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 10:06 AM
With this thinking would it be better to try and score and make it a 1 point game? I just don't like to give up? I know that if we didn't get it mizzOU might have gone up by 16?

BillyBall
10/26/2010, 10:08 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about jizzing your pants.

OU Engineer
10/26/2010, 10:11 AM
As much as I hate to say it he has a point.

A lot of voters dont even watch the game and just look at the box score.

Yes its a pansy way out and its definitely not Oklahoma Football, but we may have to wait until later this season to see if this was the right move or not...

goingoneight
10/26/2010, 10:35 AM
I didn't like the call, but then again I didn't pay attention to the fact that Mizzou had the ball for all but about two minutes in the fourth and LJ was 0-7. In a very small way, it almost seems like it's a good decision... but you just never know when a life-saver of a play can happen.
Stoops has a really good point, though. Turn it over inside our own 10 and Pinkel would waste no time to throat punch us for all of the beatdowns we've put on his teams through the years.

cvsooner
10/26/2010, 12:13 PM
Field position is always important. Punting it away is a good way to aid your defense and your offense. Who knows? Maybe they fumble it again. You buy some ground for your D. You might have a turnover on first or second down...the end zone is 50 yards closer.

Either way, sometimes you just know you're beaten and you come up with the best outcome you can.

The only really dumb play to me was the multiple lateral thing all over the field. How stupid is that? Okay, maybe you score and you cut the lead to a point or two. There's no time left.

swardboy
10/26/2010, 12:27 PM
Has there been any revelation as to how Murry cut his hand in pre-game?

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 12:37 PM
With this thinking would it be better to try and score and make it a 1 point game? I just don't like to give up? I know that if we didn't get it mizzOU might have gone up by 16?

The coach can do only so much. Unlike so many here, I understand perfectly why the punt and have never questioned it.

Your QB is 0-7 with 1 INT in the fourth. Your offensive line is getting pushed back on run plays.

Yes, Stoops punted because his players thought they had no shot at winning and so he wanted to keep the score closer.

Fail at 4th down and give them ball inside the 15 you are only asking for Missouri to grab another quick 7 points.

Besides, the kid returning punts already muffed one, he could do it again.

OU Engineer
10/26/2010, 12:54 PM
And you know now that I think about it, maybe it was a psychological thing.

Think about how much he should be able to fire up the team when he tells them he had to punt it there because they were getting their a$$es kicked all up and down the field all night.

If he didn't think of that before hand I know he's gonna be on them about it all week and it will show saturday.

btb916
10/26/2010, 12:58 PM
The coach can do only so much. Unlike so many here, I understand perfectly why the punt and have never questioned it.

Your QB is 0-7 with 1 INT in the fourth. Your offensive line is getting pushed back on run plays.

Yes, Stoops punted because his players thought they had no shot at winning and so he wanted to keep the score closer.

Fail at 4th down and give them ball inside the 15 you are only asking for Missouri to grab another quick 7 points.

Besides, the kid returning punts already muffed one, he could do it again.

I'm with you. I don't think there was much point in going for it. There was no way in h*ll anything good was going to happen.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:59 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about jizzing your pants.

:D

As much as I hate to say it he has a point.

A lot of voters dont even watch the game and just look at the box score.

Yes its a pansy way out and its definitely not Oklahoma Football, but we may have to wait until later this season to see if this was the right move or not...

Yep, that is what the awesome bcs has done to college football

stoopified
10/26/2010, 02:46 PM

Besides, the kid returning punts already muffed one, he could do it again.Exactly what I have been saying.

PDXsooner
10/26/2010, 02:49 PM
That was shocking to read. I never thought Stoops would say something like that. That really, really bothers me.

soonercastor
10/26/2010, 03:11 PM
so why were they running all over the field on that last play? Trying to cut it to a two pt loss for the voters?

soonerbub
10/26/2010, 03:20 PM
If I was a poll voter after hearing this for the rest of the season I cap OU at no higher than 4th. Truly shocking--glad he didn't have this attitude in 2000.

I've had the theory for the past few years that Bob is not challenged enough by his staff since lil bro left. I think he and Mike had a different dynamic during games. I wonder if he woulda punted only down 8...

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 03:27 PM
If I was a poll voter after hearing this for the rest of the season I cap OU at no higher than 4th. Truly shocking--glad he didn't have this attitude in 2000.

I've had the theory for the past few years that Bob is not challenged enough by his staff since lil bro left. I think he and Mike had a different dynamic during games. I wonder if he woulda punted only down 8...

yOU make a great point, a lot of people say well yOUr down 2 scores and yOUr qb was 0-7 with a pick in the 4th, so you punt. So what if OU was down 1 score would he go for it then?

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:31 PM
yOU make a great point, a lot of people say well yOUr down 2 scores and yOUr qb was 0-7 with a pick in the 4th, so you punt. So what if OU was down 1 score would he go for it then?

Lets not forget the main part of the reason the punt occured, shall we?

We were 4th and 8 at the 7 yard line. If we don't get it, the worst we put them is barely inside the 15 yard line. The best (minus a sack or a loss on the play) is the 7 yard yard line. The bad outweighed the good in that situation.

Once the players feel they lost, they stop giving their all, and that was evident with the errant passes by Jones, the OL getting pushed around, and the Defense allowing Missouri to rush for 90+ yards in the 4th quarter alone.

Not to mention, OU only had the ball for something like 2 minutes in the fourth quarter.

I dont give a damn what type of team you are. If you play like that, then you deserve to lose.

soonerbub
10/26/2010, 03:42 PM
The main reason we punted is our coach waved the white flag and gave Landry a vote of "no confidence". Mizzou was going to kneel anyway w 2 min and no timeouts for us

SoonerAtKU
10/26/2010, 04:29 PM
Hell, with the number of muffed punts OU's recovered this season, that might be the best offensive move he could have made.

OUthunder
10/26/2010, 05:02 PM
I don't know that I like this?

OU notebook: OU-Texas A&M set for 6 p.m.

Oklahoma's Travis Lewis (right) tries to contain Missouri's Henry Josey during Saturday's game in Columbia, Mo. STEPHEN PINGRY / Tulsa World
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
Published: 10/26/2010 2:18 AM
Last Modified: 10/26/2010 7:08 AM

Oklahoma's Nov. 6 game at Texas A&M has been set for a 6 p.m. kickoff.

The game will be televised on FSN cable 27.

Lewis hurt: Oklahoma linebacker Travis Lewis wore a cast over the lower part of his right hand on Monday, with his thumb and index finger exposed. Lewis practiced, but declined interview requests afterward.

Lewis, a junior from San Antonio, made eight tackles (two for loss) Saturday in a 36-27 loss at Missouri. The Butkus Award semifinalist leads OU this season with 67 tackles.

Jones advances: OU quarterback Landry Jones is one of 16 semifinalists for the Davey O'Brien Award, given to the nation's top quarterback.

Jones is tied for 18th nationally in total offense (285.4 yards per game), 10th in passing yards (2,094), tied for 12th in passing touchdowns (17) and 34th in passer efficiency (a 142.1 rating).

Murray's excellence: DeMarco Murray on Saturday surpassed 1,000 all-purpose yards for the season (1,054), making him the only Sooner to do it four times. He had 1,263 yards on rushes, catches and returns as a freshman, a school-record 2,171 as a sophomore and 1,227 as a junior. A handful of Sooners, including Joe Washington, Adrian Peterson and De'Mond Parker, did it three times.

Murray now has 5,715 all-purpose yards, just 166 behind OU career leader Joe Washington (5,881).

Kicking swing: When OU's Jimmy Stevens missed a short field goal with the wind at his back that could have made it 17-17, and
when Mizzou's Grant Ressell - who finished the first half with a 36-yarder - answered Stevens' miss with a 36-yarder into the wind for a 20-14 lead, the Sooners lost momentum.

"It's frustrating," Stoops said. "It's a huge part of the game, with momentum if you score. It's a big deal. You've got the wind. It's a 30-yarder, it's a chip shot."

Recruiting talk: Stoops was asked if he would seek help from the junior college ranks at quarterback (Jones went 0-for-7 in the fourth quarter) and defensive tackle (they produced no pass rush and got consistently pushed aside versus the run), and if he would consider offering a scholarship to another kicker when the Sooners already have two (Stevens and punter Tress Way) on scholarship.

"Definitely," he answered to all three. "We're always looking. We're constantly analyzing and speculating and looking at recruits for sure. ... There's a number of positions we're looking at."

Finished early
OU coach Bob Stoops said he ordered a punt with 2 1/2 minutes left facing a fourth-and-10 from the OU 7 instead of going for it on fourth down because "we weren't scoring twice" and he didn't want the final margin to look worse than it was.

"Hey, who knows? It's a long year. Who knows how poll people look at scores, those kinds of things," Stoops said. "I thought it was futile. Had we had a reasonable amount (of time) and been in some kind of field position, or had we shown any signs over the three previous plays of making a play, I probably would have (gone for it). But I didn't see that." Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101026_92_B5_CUTLIN930908

I think all of the money that Stoops has earned at OU over the years has shrunk his gonads. The Bob Stoops that I remember in the early days would have never waived the white flag like that. I'm actually embarrassed that he mentioned it in those words publicly.

I miss the fake punts and trickeration that he used to try every now and then. Need we forget the boneheaded fake FG that he called in the UT game AFTER a penalty. ****, pooch punt or go for it.

soonercastor
10/26/2010, 05:07 PM

We were 4th and 8 at the 7 yard line. If we don't get it, the worst we put them is barely inside the 15 yard line. The best (minus a sack or a loss on the play) is the 7 yard yard line. The bad outweighed the good in that situation.

Once the players feel they lost, they stop giving their all, and that was evident with the errant passes by Jones, the OL getting pushed around, and the Defense allowing Missouri to rush for 90+ yards in the 4th quarter alone.

Not to mention, OU only had the ball for something like 2 minutes in the fourth quarter.

I dont give a damn what type of team you are. If you play like that, then you deserve to lose.

The punt alone wasn't the problem. Its the combination of the punt AND the last play of the game. If you have given up earlier why try some stunts at the end of the game.

Crucifax Autumn
10/26/2010, 05:10 PM
The punt alone wasn't the problem. Its the combination of the punt AND the last play of the game. If you have given up earlier why try some stunts at the end of the game.

Going by what Bob said, they didn't go for it since they didn't want to give up another score and have pollsters and **** seeing the score and deciding we got our *** kicked.

The silliness at the end fits that scenario since if we had somehow scored the final would have looked better.

Not that I agree with it really, just going on what Stoops said at the press conference.

soonercastor
10/26/2010, 05:14 PM
I see, but that's silly to risk the players just so you could cut it to 2, considering DM7 and Broyles had little injury concerns.

oh well, the joke's on Colorado.

rekamrettuB
10/26/2010, 07:20 PM

There's no way of knowing this but do you think the players would feel they lost if they were down 8? This has been my main argument against going for 2 and I'm pretty sure it's the same argument that everyone else is making like Gruden said last night.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 07:30 PM
There's no way of knowing this but do you think the players would feel they lost if they were down 8? This has been my main argument against going for 2 and I'm pretty sure it's the same argument that everyone else is making like Gruden said last night.

You're right, there is no way of knowing that. However, you can just look at their play.

It looked and seemed like OU was playing to just get the game over.

They just seemed to go through the motions.

That or we as an entire team was just flat out tired.

rekamrettuB
10/26/2010, 07:33 PM
You're right, there is no way of knowing that. However, you can just look at their play.

It looked and seemed like OU was playing to just get the game over.

They just seemed to go through the motions.

That or we as an entire team was just flat out tired.

No I agree with you. They had quit no doubt. My question is would they have quit knowing they just needed a touchdown for a chance to tie?

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 07:38 PM
No I agree with you. They had quit no doubt. My question is would they have quit knowing they just needed a touchdown for a chance to tie?

I dont know. But it seemed once our team went down by 15, we seemed like we were done. Yeah, we scored a TD, but in the 4th, we had ZERO completions.

I dont know. But something needs fixed. I know we are an extremely young team, but i just dont know how we can play decent the first three quarters and just fall apart in the fourth.

We should be playing stronger in the fourth than in the first and it aint happenin.

aero
10/26/2010, 08:14 PM

Exactly. Things were looking bleak and then Madu's return got things fired up again. We scored with over 6 minutes left and if we had kicked the extra point the whole team would know that if we hold them and can score again and THEN make a 2 point conversion we could send it to OT. Over 6 minutes left. Unlikely? Maybe. But not that out of the question and certainly not doable. More less likely scenarios have happened with much less time. But the missed 2 pointer absolutely took the wind out of the whole enchilada. Instantly gone was the excitement of just scoring and POSSIBLY having a chance. Changed the way the players thought and essentially ended the game with 6 minutes left to play.
But oh well. It's water under the bridge at this point. Hard not to lament what might have been but that game can be played to no end - what if we hadn't given up the td on the opening kick off? what if we hadn't turned it over twice on potential scoring drives? what if we didn't miss the fg? what if the D could have got pressure? On and on. Bottom line is we lost. We didn't get smashed in their house. We just didn't play winning football. We're still fine.

GottaHavePride
10/26/2010, 08:41 PM
The main reason we punted is our coach waved the white flag and gave Landry a vote of "no confidence". Mizzou was going to kneel anyway w 2 min and no timeouts for us

You seriously think Missouri would kneel at the end of that? The way they had been getting 20 yards a pop straight up the middle? Even though - before last Saturday - they had beaten us exactly THREE TIMES since 1970?

The way they were playing, they would have run it in and onside kicked so they could try to do it again.

tcrb
10/26/2010, 08:53 PM
You seriously think Missouri would kneel at the end of that? The way they had been getting 20 yards a pop straight up the middle? Even though - before last Saturday - they had beaten us exactly THREE TIMES since 1970?

The way they were playing, they would have run it in and onside kicked so they could try to do it again.

Yep, no way Pinkel takes a knee in that situation.