PDA

View Full Version : Pork loin and you

Tulsa_Fireman
10/26/2010, 09:28 AM
Okay, I'm starting an official pork loin thread.

I've always written this particular cut off as dry, worthless crap. Every time I've had it that's what its been. Dry. Even times I've eaten it and was told by others that it was the most moist pork loin ever, I'm scratching my head wondering just where in the hell they're even getting that concept. It is a lean, easily overcooked meat. Hence the thread.

Made one last night. I wrapped it in bacon. I'm pretty sure I blew one in my drawers as I ate it because for the first time in my 35 years I ate a pork loin that was moist. Juicy. Flavorful. Nothing fancy, just an olive oil and season rub and an aromatic stuffing of garlic, onion, celery, and red pepper.

What do YOU guys do? Smoked? Grilled? Different oven techniques? Lay 'em on me. I'm on the hunt for the greatest pork loin.

soonerchk
10/26/2010, 09:36 AM
My mother's beau smoked a pork loin over the weekend, and it was just amazing. I do love me some bacon though, so I might see if he'll consider that next time.

CobraKai
10/26/2010, 09:45 AM
I grill pork loin all the time. It is a family favorite. Almost any marinade I've used has turned out well, the key is just pulling it at the right time. As mentioned it can dry out easily, so I pull it right before 145 or so and let it "rest" in foil for 5 minutes. It is usually as juicy as any cut of meat. You should definitely add it back to your arsenal because once you learn to grill it you will end up cooking it all the time. Pretty inexpensive, and as mentioned almost any marinade turns out good.

3rdgensooner
10/26/2010, 09:58 AM
Mmmm, pork loin.

soonersweetie
10/26/2010, 10:15 AM
I put it in the crockpot around 7am. Add a bit of apple juice to it, season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, a bit of cayenne. Drizzle soy sauce and honey on top of it. Let it cook on Low until about 5pm. Shred with forks. Add BBQ sauce and serve as pulled pork sandwiches. Just YUMMMM!!!!!

Oldnslo
10/26/2010, 11:34 AM
smoke it or grill it; it's all in the timing. Folks have the idea that you've got to cook the dogballs out of pork or you'll die of some flesh-eating disease AND we'll lose the war.

False. You don't want it raw <insert pink pork joke here>, but you don't have to cook it super-well-done.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 11:35 AM
If it's dry...I send it back and have them fix me a Ribeye.

YWIA :D

ouleaf
10/26/2010, 01:01 PM
They are all right....doesn't really matter too much on the method in which you cook it, its all about when you take it off the heat.

If you have the time, brining works well with Pork Loin. I like to grill personally and if you have the fancy rotisserie tool that comes with some grills, this would also be a good time to use it as well.

However, you can get a great tasting pork loin inside as well. Sear each side on a hot pan and put into a 350 oven for about 12 minutes or so, depending on the size of the loan. Look for an internal temp of about 140. Take out of the oven tent with tin foil and rest for about 10 mins while it finishes cooking, and the juices redistribute.

soonerchk
10/26/2010, 01:02 PM
I put it in the crockpot around 7am. Add a bit of apple juice to it, season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, a bit of cayenne. Drizzle soy sauce and honey on top of it. Let it cook on Low until about 5pm. Shred with forks. Add BBQ sauce and serve as pulled pork sandwiches. Just YUMMMM!!!!!

Want this. Will try this and report back.

C&CDean
10/26/2010, 01:39 PM
smoke it or grill it; it's all in the timing. Folks have the idea that you've got to cook the dogballs out of pork or you'll die of some flesh-eating disease AND we'll lose the war.

False. You don't want it raw <insert pink pork joke here>, but you don't have to cook it super-well-done.

Oy Vey! Did you learn this from the rabbi?

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 02:01 PM
Brine pork. It used to come from lardhogs and was nice and juicy, but with the weight loss craze it has been bred into a leaner, meatier beast. Sadly, this means 90% of the flavor has left as well... So what to do?

Brine it. Osmosis is your friend when imparting moisture and flavor on a cut of meat. It works well on turkey, too! The best part? The leftovers will be juicy for a long time as well. So brine your pork, and live a happy life.

CobraKai
10/26/2010, 02:05 PM
I always brine turkeys. Big fan! I've never tried to brine a pork loin, but I've heard good things. I marinate them well and pull them a little early. That usually results in some good eatin'

SoonerAtKU
10/26/2010, 04:39 PM
I make a paste out of garlic, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. You can then add mint, oregano, or any other herb you like with pork. Lay down a sheet or two of plastic wrap, depending on how large your portion is, then lay down prosciutto to make a layer on top of that. Coat the pork loin in the paste, then roll up in the prosciutto. Roast on a rack at 325 for 25-35 minutes (or longer if it's a larger portion). You can then broil for a minute or two to crisp the prosciutto if desired.

Slice and serve with balsamic vinegar reduction and roasted potatoes and onions.

Lott's Bandana
10/26/2010, 04:50 PM
Easy, Easy, Lemon Squeezy:

Wrap loin in alum foil, make a bit of a tent.

Pour into alum foil a quality Italian dressing (hell, use the entire bottle if you can) and add a few garlic cloves, pepper.

Close the tent tight.

Place on grill on indirect heat, one burner off, one on. Lid down.

After about two hours, you'll have an incredibly moist, 170deg piece of seasoned, marinated splendor.

The oil and the tent keep the moisture in the meat and the juices flow like...<insert simile here>