PDA

View Full Version : Are the days of dynasties over?

w0lfe
10/26/2010, 08:13 AM
So I got to thinking last night, will you ever see the dynasties that were once seen when a team spans a decade of absolute dominance? With all the new scholarship limitations, its obvious that there is rarely a team that is "that much better" than everyone else and its also obvious that the teams that were once barely mediocre talent, have now been able to compete with some of the higher tradition rich schools... Discuss

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2010, 08:25 AM
What are you talkin' about? The SEC is a dynasty!!! :rolleyes:

goingoneight
10/26/2010, 08:25 AM
I don't know... I suppose luck might have a little to do with it. OU has been very good despite coming up short well on their own at times last decade. A healthy QB in this game, a good call in that game... it just is what it is. It is much harder to be dominant when the guys who would have been on your three deep 25 or more years ago are playing at the Texas Techs, Kansas States and now even the Baylors of the CFB world.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 08:27 AM
So I got to thinking last night, will you ever see the dynasties that were once seen when a team spans a decade of absolute dominance? With all the new scholarship limitations, its obvious that there is rarely a team that is "that much better" than everyone else and its also obvious that the teams that were once barely mediocre talent, have now been able to compete with some of the higher tradition rich schools... Discuss

I think it's over. IMO kids want to play asap and be on t.v. With all the games on t.v. you can go to just about any school and be on t.v. week in and week out?

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 08:33 AM
I also think that back to back NC teams are done. It seems so hard to get to the game in back to back years nowa days?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2010, 08:34 AM
I guess I need to ask what would you consider a dynasty

Mad Dog Madsen
10/26/2010, 08:37 AM
What exactly would you consider a dynasty? Florida won 2 NC's in 3 years and USC almost won 3 straight. (Yes, I know they shared '03) Bama has a good chance to go back this year too.

KantoSooner
10/26/2010, 08:57 AM
I seem to remember a lot more intensity among the coaches 30-40 years ago. You have a lot of guys now who want to be 'ambassadors' of the sport. (Envoys to who? The people of SE Asia? Space Aliens? And why would we want a guy <pick one> who typically is not a terribly fluent speaker to be an 'ambassador' anyway?)
Anyway, it seems to me that the coaches now really like to win. A lot. But they don't go into psychotic funks if they lose.
Maybe the way is open for a disfunctionally driven head coach to create a dynasty again.

ThinMan
10/26/2010, 10:39 AM
This is the dynasty of parity.

On a related note, we were in NC games in 2000, 2003, 2004, and 2008. We are kind of a dynasty (though more like the Brave's dynasty).

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 10:44 AM
If your looking for a Decade of absolute dominance...Yes it's over. If that ever happens again it will be more of a fluke IMO. No way someone schedules a tough Div IA schedule every year and lays down Absolute Dominance.

bent rider
10/26/2010, 12:14 PM
According to the Mayan Calendar all days are nearly over.
According to Unix time we have until 2038.

btb916
10/26/2010, 12:53 PM
According to the Mayan Calendar all days are nearly over.
According to Unix time we have until 2038.

Actually, it's recently come to light that the Mayan calendar may be off +/- by as much as 50-100 years. Edit: err, at least our "translation" of it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39746543/39743213

stoopified
10/26/2010, 01:29 PM
No

bent rider
10/26/2010, 05:20 PM
Actually, it's recently come to light that the Mayan calendar may be off +/- by as much as 50-100 years. Edit: err, at least our "translation" of it.

Dang, those Mayans are imprecise. How did they ever hope to calculate who was their National Champion? Oh, yeah, and the loser of their ball games got beheaded. Not much has changed.

ashley
10/26/2010, 08:06 PM
The 25 scholarship rule has done most of this. With that said, it will contine to be the schools with the name of a state in the name of a school that are on the top. Of course, and exception will happen more often than in the past.

MR2-Sooner86
10/26/2010, 10:21 PM
I'd say the last great dynasty was Nebraska. They were a field goal away from winning three national championships in a row in '93, '94, and '95. They then went on to win another one in '97.

King Barry's Back
10/26/2010, 10:39 PM
I seem to remember a lot more intensity among the coaches 30-40 years ago. You have a lot of guys now who want to be 'ambassadors' of the sport. (Envoys to who? The people of SE Asia? Space Aliens? And why would we want a guy <pick one> who typically is not a terribly fluent speaker to be an 'ambassador' anyway?)
Anyway, it seems to me that the coaches now really like to win. A lot. But they don't go into psychotic funks if they lose.
Maybe the way is open for a disfunctionally driven head coach to create a dynasty again.

Yeah, or not. Maybe the scandals that would today surround such a head case would a) get him fired; and b) drive away players, recruits and alienate fans and donors.

bluedogok
10/26/2010, 11:12 PM
Dang, those Mayans are imprecise.
Whadda you expect...they used a sundial.

TrophyCollector
10/26/2010, 11:19 PM
http://sharetv.org/images/dynasty-show.jpg

Tidefan36854
10/26/2010, 11:36 PM
I agree with others, I think the 85 scholarship rule has all but killed that. It doesn't take but "missing" on a few players in recruiting, and you end up going from from elite to middle of the pack very quickly (just ask Florida, Texas, and even USC). I think the better coaches are going to keep their teams in the "good" range, but I don't believe anyone can remain dominant year in, year out.

This year, we still have an outside chance to possibly play for the title again, but we are an eyelash away (in the Arky game) from dropping two games already this year. We still have LSU on the road, a vastly improved MSU team, and a very good Auburn team to beat to get another crack at USCe in the SECCG, just for the chance to play for BCSGC again. To say that we have a very tough road ahead is putting it lightly! Its gonna take the defense really stepping up, consistant play from the offense (which has been really inconsistant at times this year) and probably some luck to get through that gauntlet. I'm cautiously optmistic, but I won't be surprised or angry if we don't. We'd had a helluva run over the last 3 years, and the young bucks on this team now makes the future really seem bright.

KantoSooner
10/27/2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, or not. Maybe the scandals that would today surround such a head case would a) get him fired; and b) drive away players, recruits and alienate fans and donors.

Really? I doubt it. The closest these days are Meyer and Saban and neither have suffered too much; though Meyer seems to be melting down.

Fans, schools and boosters all love a winner.