PDA

View Full Version : Death, taxes, and 10 win seasons at texas

Collier11
10/26/2010, 02:23 AM
texas sits at 4-3 after 7 games, barring a miracle they arent going to the conference title game which means they are gonna get 13 games this season. Texas literally has to go 6-0 to keep that impressive streak alive of winning 10 games every year since 01.

I find myself wondering what the hell is going on down in austin? Im not gonna lie, I am loving every minute of it, there is nothing like seeing those pompous jackholes squirm through such a mediocre season. Especially after they cheered the injury of Bradford, especially after they dogged us for going 8-5.

You wanna know the difference? Not only were we missing the best QB in CFB, the best TE in CFB, we also never had a stable or healthy Oline throughout the entire season. So whats your excuse texas? Seriously?

People around here can dog mack all they want but he is a good coach, whether he is a ceo or a hands on coach it doesnt much matter to me, he is a good coach. Greg Davis has proven to be a good o-coord when he has a mobile qb, when he doesnt he isnt very good. They cant get a running game for about the 3rd or 4th straight season. Muschamp has had some bad games this year but is a good solid D-coord. So whats going on?

I personally believe with everything inside me that there is something going on, some infighting, something of that nature? Mack looks miserable every single gameday, there is no continuity, no leadership. I dont know, what do you all think?

Oh, BTW, look at texas's remaining schedule...after getting smoked by ucla and iowa state at home, they could lose to anyone but they have a legit shot to lose atleast 3 more regular season games, more with upsets.

Baylor
@ksate- snakepit for ut lately
Osu
Florida Atlantic
A&M

FYI- Yes, for any of you who read CFN, I stole the headline from them :D

sooner n houston
10/26/2010, 06:15 AM
Coach In Waiting!!!

Jacie
10/26/2010, 06:32 AM
In postgame interviews last week, it was a different Mack Brown, according to sa*et fans. He was visibly upset and instead of his characteristic shouldering the blame for the loss he called out coaches and players, albeit without using names but everyone got the jist of what he was saying.

It has been suggested that there is dissension among the coaches, not conducive to a winnnig season. Mack's comment that the players seem arrogant is being said about him and his staff, that the kids are simply picking it up from them.

Things are not rosy in whornville and it isn't because the football teams they've played are better. They got problems but so far the only steps to address them are through finger pointing.

I am loving it!

TMcGee86
10/26/2010, 06:43 AM
Mack looks miserable every single gameday,

I have no idea what's going on over there but there is no question that this is true. He looks horrible this season. Like he's just miserable out there. And that includes the games where they won.

KantoSooner
10/26/2010, 08:15 AM
It has been suggested that there is dissension among the coaches, not conducive to a winnnig season. Mack's comment that the players seem arrogant is being said about him and his staff, that the kids are simply picking it up from them.

I would guess that perhaps Mr. Mudchump has begun making noises about wanting the job sooner rather than later. And Mack is faced with either accomodating him, when he's clearly not ready to be a head coach, running him off and then having to deal with the fall out of that decision or enduring a bad situation.

Reminds me of the last five years of my marriage: no good options. Puts a damper on your day; pretty much every day.

Veritas
10/26/2010, 09:11 AM
People around here can dog mack all they want but he is a good coach, whether he is a ceo or a hands on coach it doesnt much matter to me, he is a good coach.
Dude. No he's not.

Texas is the one team in the country that should be off the effing hook AMAZING every single year. They are the premier team in the premier state for recruiting. They are the one team where the fan base is justified in expecting a perennial NC shot because their (nut) cup overfloweth.

But Mack is so incompetent that unless he has a crackerjack QB to *be* the offense (Radio) or *run* the offense from the huddle (Colty), you get what you have this year. UT fans need pray to Bevo that Mack can scrounge up a whizkid to take snaps because if he doesn't, this season is going to be the norm.

soonerchk
10/26/2010, 09:29 AM
People around here can dog mack all they want but he is a good coach, whether he is a ceo or a hands on coach it doesnt much matter to me, he is a good coach. Greg Davis has proven to be a good o-coord when he has a mobile qb, when he doesnt he isnt very good. They cant get a running game for about the 3rd or 4th straight season. Muschamp has had some bad games this year but is a good solid D-coord. So whats going on?

I think part of this depends on how you define a good coach. I don't think Mack is a good coach unless you want a guy who is happy to suck up to the media and make any and every appearance offered. * fans were pretty well disgusted with him before VY came in and led them to the promised land. Greg Davis is a joke, even the * fans will agree with this. Has he ever been mentioned for another job? I think that's the best way to judge a coordinator - does anyone else want them to be their head coach? At least our guys have been mentioned for other jobs whether they got them or not.

I'm loving this. They can't lose enough games to make me happy.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:20 PM
Dude. No he's not.

Texas is the one team in the country that should be off the effing hook AMAZING every single year. They are the premier team in the premier state for recruiting. They are the one team where the fan base is justified in expecting a perennial NC shot because their (nut) cup overfloweth.

But Mack is so incompetent that unless he has a crackerjack QB to *be* the offense (Radio) or *run* the offense from the huddle (Colty), you get what you have this year. UT fans need pray to Bevo that Mack can scrounge up a whizkid to take snaps because if he doesn't, this season is going to be the norm.

Disagree whole heartedly. You dont win like he has and be incompetent. He has the same scholly limits as everyone else so the plethora of talent in texas doesnt really matter

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:22 PM
I think part of this depends on how you define a good coach. I don't think Mack is a good coach unless you want a guy who is happy to suck up to the media and make any and every appearance offered. * fans were pretty well disgusted with him before VY came in and led them to the promised land. Greg Davis is a joke, even the * fans will agree with this. Has he ever been mentioned for another job? I think that's the best way to judge a coordinator - does anyone else want them to be their head coach? At least our guys have been mentioned for other jobs whether they got them or not.

Greg Davis is pretty good with a mobile qb, pretty bad without one, its unreal how bad he is without a mobile qb. Now the ut fans hate him again, lol.

I dont think the coordinator getting offers argument holds water though, being a good coordinator has nothing to do with being a good head coach IMO

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 12:31 PM
Texas would be a lot better if :mack: had Kevin Wilson and/or Brent Venables.

tommieharris91
10/26/2010, 12:42 PM
It would be awesome if they lost 4 of their last 5 and miss out on bowling. It's possible looking at their remaining schedule too. The Baylor game this week is HUGE for them.

btb916
10/26/2010, 12:45 PM
I find myself wondering what the hell is going on down in austin? Im not gonna lie, I am loving every minute of it, there is nothing like seeing those pompous jackholes squirm through such a mediocre season. Especially after they cheered the injury of Bradford, especially after they dogged us for going 8-5.

You wanna know the difference? Not only were we missing the best QB in CFB, the best TE in CFB, we also never had a stable or healthy Oline throughout the entire season. So whats your excuse texas? Seriously?

This makes me appreciate Coach Stoops even more. We were supposed to have an outstanding year last year. Then EVERYTHING fell apart. We still managed to keep our home streak alive and win a bowl game.

I agree with the rest of your post too. It's like in the NBA, when people argue that Phil Jackson isn't the best ever because he's always had the best players. Get real. Without a good coach, all-world talent can easily be wasted.

So it's very interesting to me that Texas is collapsing from the inside out. I enjoy it, of course :D, but I would like to know why. I bet it comes out with another loss.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:47 PM
I think if Muschamp moves on after this year, that might be your answer. Just speculation but there may be some strife there

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 12:51 PM
Dude. No he's not.

He was able to do it at North Carolina and at Texas.

I highly doubt it is incompetence when it comes to Mack Brown and coaching.

I am thinking that it has a lot to do with all the rumors we kept hearing leading into the season. How, this was going to be Mack's last year, so they can make Mudchump the head coach. And now Mudchump is probably causing a stir in the locker room.

Which I don't know, because if that was the case, Mack would probably fire his ***.

Maybe it just the pumped up number of stars that Ketchum gives them when they recruit someone? Ever notice how a texas recruit gets more stars from Rivals after they commit? Notice how when they don't commit to Texas the stars start to drop?

Maybe Texas is just loaded with a bunch of primadonnas?

Who knows for sure. But I do know this, I am loving it!

Collier11
10/26/2010, 12:54 PM
Mack did say they were going through some of what OU went through a few years ago, players thinking they were owed success

OUmillenium
10/26/2010, 12:55 PM
Texas would be a lot better if :mack: had Kevin Wilson and/or Brent Venables.

So would we!;)

I'm sure somebody beat me to it.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 12:55 PM

He wasn't sucking up to the media when he was at North Carolina.

The guy is a good coach no matter what we try to say. He hasn't been able to amass a 218-104-1 record (includes this years racord) by simply parading around the media.

Ever think of why he does that now? He is the HC of Texas. They seem to be the new Notre Dame of Football.

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 01:07 PM
Mack did say they were going through some of what OU went through a few years ago, players thinking they were owed success

While we may have had some of that attitude in our locker room, it didn't tsunami onto the field like it has in Austin.

I called my mother on Saturday afternoon and whistled "The Eyes of Texas" when she picked up. We laughed for 10 minutes straight. I hope the mediocrity never ends for *.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 01:10 PM
While we may have had some of that attitude in our locker room, it didn't tsunami onto the field like it has in Austin.

I called my mother on Saturday afternoon and whistled "The Eyes of Texas" when she picked up. We laughed for 10 minutes straight. I hope the mediocrity never ends for *.

really?

in 2005 we went 2-3 our first 5 games. At one point were were 4-3 and finished 8-4.

Seemed like a tsunami to me.

2009, we started 3-3 and at one point we were 4-3. We finished 8-5

:P

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 01:23 PM
really?

in 2005 we went 2-3 our first 5 games. At one point were were 4-3 and finished 8-4.

How many of those losses were at home to not only unranked, but bottom dwellers in their respective conference? All 5 of the teams that we lost to that year finished in the top 15.

2009 was injury related and Tejas doesn't have that excuse.

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, this year is cataclysmic for Tejas. If Stoops lost at home to ISU and a bad UCLA team, nay got BLOWN OUT by a bad UCLA team... I'd hate to see the reaction from our fans.

soonerchk
10/26/2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah, this year is cataclysmic for Tejas. If Stoops lost at home to ISU and a bad UCLA team, nay got BLOWN OUT by a bad UCLA team... I'd hate to see the reaction from our fans.

Lynch party.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 01:48 PM
How many of those losses were at home to not only unranked, but bottom dwellers in their respective conference? All 5 of the teams that we lost to that year finished in the top 15.

Who cares...but one of those was to an unranked TCU team that went on to lose to SMU the following week.

A loss is a loss no matter where it occurs.

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 01:53 PM
Lynch party.

Remember the "Bury Barry" signs? Yeah.

stoopified
10/26/2010, 01:54 PM
I don't like MACK THE CLOWN but to say he isn't a good coach is ridiculous.The man is 132-30as a headcoach at UT.Bob is my preferred coach but Mack is 132-30 and Bob is 123-30,so IF Mack is NOT a good coach,what does that say about Bob?

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 02:17 PM
Who cares...but one of those was to an unranked TCU team that went on to lose to SMU the following week.

One of those was also to a Texas team that went undefeated. I don't see your point. BTW, TCU won out in 2005 after the SMU game.

My point is none of our losses in 2005 were to patsies. I also seeem to remember us losing AD early in that season and getting him back for a nice win in Lincoln. But who cares about injuries, a loss is a loss......

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 02:27 PM
One of those was also to a Texas team that went undefeated. I don't see your point. BTW, TCU won out in 2005 after the SMU game.

My point is none of our losses in 2005 were to patsies. I also seeem to remember us losing AD early in that season and getting him back for a nice win in Lincoln. But who cares about injuries, a loss is a loss......

1 of Texas' losses is against a 6-1 team in Oklahoma. A team that is probably still good enough to win the Big 12 this year.

So what exactly is my point? My point is simple...hell I spelled it out for those to stupid to see it (like you since you said you don't see it)... A loss is a loss.

Nice win against an 8-4 Nebraska team? Yeah any win that year was good for us, but Nebraska wasn't exactly a good team either in 2005.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2010, 02:35 PM
really?

I seriously doubt egos had anything to do with it. Both those squads were inexperienced and just not that good to start the season.

soonerchk
10/26/2010, 02:37 PM
Remember the "Bury Barry" signs? Yeah.

And the For Sale signs in Gary Gibbs' yard?

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 02:38 PM
Im trying to find your point.

1 of Texas' losses is against a 6-1 team in Oklahoma. A team that is probably still good enough to win the Big 12 this year.

So what exactly is your point? My point is simple...hell I spelled it out for those to stupid to see it (like you since you said you don't see it)... A loss is a loss.

Nice win against an 8-4 Nebraska team? Yeah any win that year was good for us, but Nebraska wasn't exactly a good team either in 2005.

Did you mean those TOO stupid? Texas has a loss to UCLA (3-4) and Iowa State (4-4). My point (as stated in the previous message) is that they have lost to lesser teams AT HOME than we did overall in 2005. I can have someone from OP.com try to explain further if needed....

Jacie
10/26/2010, 02:41 PM
Well, a loss is a loss, sure. But some will get you fired, while some will get you hired.

It is how a loss is perceived that is important and right now the perception is, the sa*et coaching staff is suckin toads right now after a couple of losses.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 02:42 PM
I seriously doubt egos had anything to do with it. Both those squads were inexperienced and just not that good to start the season.

I never said anything about egos.

I pointed out that we had started this way more than once under stoops.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching texas lose.

Everything in this thread as to why Texas sucks this year is just hearsay and nothing more. None of us here are there experiencing it or know the actual truth or what is truly happening.

Maybe the reason texas sucks this year is their inexperience. They had to replace what, 3 or 4 Oline, a new QB, their top 2 WRs, and they have no real RB.

Their defense lost quite abit from last year as well, mainly the DL and LBs.

Maybe their reason is the same as ours? But the difference is, we do have a better overall coaching staff.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 02:45 PM
Did you mean those TOO stupid? Texas has a loss to UCLA (3-4) and Iowa State (4-4). My point (as stated in the previous message) is that they have lost to lesser teams AT HOME than we did overall in 2005. I can have someone from OP.com try to explain further if needed....

If all you got is a spelling error, then I am perfectly happy with my statement.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2010, 02:51 PM

Actually, our team has been susceptible for playing down to the opponent's level more than Texas.

Mack is a good, maybe even great coach. Plenty of people have coached at Texas that didn't succeed nearly as well.

I'm not sure he hasn't peaked. We'll see. But there are about 100 schools in the country that wouldn't mind having someone of his caliber.

Leroy Lizard
10/26/2010, 02:53 PM
Did you mean those TOO stupid? Texas has a loss to UCLA (3-4) and Iowa State (4-4). My point (as stated in the previous message) is that they have lost to lesser teams AT HOME than we did overall in 2005.

But that just means they have done better on the road.

No matter how you slice it, a loss is a loss. If you lose to a cupcake but beat a better team, it isn't any better than beating a cupcake and losing to a better team.

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 02:54 PM
You're all class Sooners 75. Thanks for the kind words and the Neg. I guess the grammar correction hit a little closer to home than I thought....

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 02:56 PM
You're all class Sooners 75. Thanks for the kind words and the Neg. I guess the grammar correction hit a little closer to home than I thought....

you got negged for two comments I disagreed with. Grammar...I am not a grammar major and the subject was by far the worst for me.

Want to bitch about spek some more?

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 03:00 PM
Pound your chest for turning my dots red. How will I ever recover? I get the fact that you don't see my point and I don't see yours. I now have a much better idea of who you are after our discussion.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2010, 03:01 PM
I never said anything about egos.

I pointed out that we had started this way more than once under stoops.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching texas lose.

Everything in this thread as to why Texas sucks this year is just hearsay and nothing more. None of us here are there experiencing it or know the actual truth or what is truly happening.

Maybe the reason texas sucks this year is their inexperience. They had to replace what, 3 or 4 Oline, a new QB, their top 2 WRs, and they have no real RB.

Their defense lost quite abit from last year as well, mainly the DL and LBs.

Maybe their reason is the same as ours? But the difference is, we do have a better overall coaching staff.

Sorry, I guess I got lost in the thread. But I think the inexperience is exactly why the horns are not very good this year. And since inexperience gets "fixed" as you go along, I would expect them to finish strong as we did on those occasions. But if their fans can't see that and are experiencing heartburn because of it - well, I don't mind. And if it's putting pressure on their coaches and causing them to panic and snipe at each other and making things worse - I don't mind that either. ;)

But as you point out, it's just speculation on our part and it's hard for me to care until we have to play them next year.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:02 PM
Pound your chest for turning my dots red. How will I ever recover? I get the fact that you don't see my point and I don't see yours. I now have a much better idea of who you are after our discussion.

LOL good. Glad you know.

I saw your point. I disagree with it.

Now move on and go forward. Want me to give you a postive spek so your feeler are no longer hurting?

Dr. Jelly Finger
10/26/2010, 03:06 PM
Whatever your therapist recommends is fine with me

Sooner_Tuf
10/26/2010, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. He can't get along with anyone and is in simultaneous spec wars. He is our version of a WoW Geek.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. He can't get along with anyone and is in simultaneous spec wars. He is our version of a WoW Geek.

Well, you know me so well. :rolleyes:

Once you or jelly finger bring something I agree with, I will give pos spec. Other than that, you are just a guy getting his panties in a bunch for some neg spek on a board, like jelly is.

Ill give a ya beer at the tailgate regardless.

Sooner_Tuf
10/26/2010, 03:14 PM
Well, you know me so well. :rolleyes:

Once you or jelly finger bring something I agree with, I will give pos spec. Other than that, you are just a guy getting his panties in a bunch for some neg spek on a board, like jelly is.

Ill give a ya beer at the tailgate regardless.

Do you attend the SoonerFans Tailgate?

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:15 PM
Do you attend the SoonerFans Tailgate?

Yes I do...well a couple or a few of them.

Will be there this weekend too.

You?

tator
10/26/2010, 03:22 PM
FIGHT!!!

Collier11
10/26/2010, 03:23 PM

Have to correct you for a minute, that TCU team went 11-1 and was #14 in the nation

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:24 PM
Have to correct you for a minute, that TCU team went 11-1 and was #14 in the nation

We lost to an unranked TCU team, they lost to SMU.

TCU climbed back into the top 25 later in the season though if my memory is not too far gone.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:24 PM
FIGHT!!!

I don't fight. No need in it anymore.:pop:

Collier11
10/26/2010, 03:28 PM

TCU climbed back into the top 25 later in the season though if my memory is not too far gone.

all you are really saying is that the preseason rankings were woefully wrong on both sides

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 03:33 PM
all you are really saying is that the preseason rankings were woefully wrong on both sides

Well, when are they right?

SoonerAtKU
10/26/2010, 03:55 PM
Well, when are they right?

Post-season.

Usually.

Sometimes.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2010, 07:08 PM

Could it be TCU was not ranked because no one knew how good they were in the 1st game? So they lost to SMU - the gamecocks just lost to Kentucky after whipping 'Bama. I think it's fair to say Patterson is a good coach and TCU has been fielding some very good teams under his direction.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 07:14 PM
Patterson has 6 Ten Win seasons at TCU and is on his way to his 7th

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 07:22 PM
Could it be TCU was not ranked because no one knew how good they were in the 1st game? So they lost to SMU - the gamecocks just lost to Kentucky after whipping 'Bama. I think it's fair to say Patterson is a good coach and TCU has been fielding some very good teams under his direction.

They werent ranked before beating OU. They were ranked when they lost to SMU. They were ranked again until later in the season.

For most of the year, TCU was not ranked that season.

Never in any of my posts did it read that they were not a good team.

And give OU TCU's schedule year after year. We would beat our 47 game winning streak.;)

Collier11
10/26/2010, 07:26 PM
TCU finished ranked 14, 11, 9 in the diff polls

They were ranked from Oct 15 on

sozo
10/26/2010, 10:00 PM
So would we!;)

I'm sure somebody beat me to it.

Not THAT'S funny!I don't know that I agree with it but it is funny!

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2010, 10:48 PM
They werent ranked before beating OU. They were ranked when they lost to SMU. They were ranked again until later in the season.

For most of the year, TCU was not ranked that season.

Never in any of my posts did it read that they were not a good team.

And give OU TCU's schedule year after year. We would beat our 47 game winning streak.;)

Now you totally lost me - I thought the only point was that we were losing to good teams during our rebuilding in '05 while the horns have lost to weaker teams. Yeah, someone brought up rankings, but the fact is TCU was pretty good and going 11-1 proves it. UCLA and Iowa St. are not good and almost certainly end the season with losing records. But rebuilding is a bumpy process, usually with setbacks, and the horns could easily finish strong as we did on '05. The fact that Mack doesn't seem to be handling it well could be a red flag they won't.

EDIT: also the horns are not supposed to be rebuilding on defense as we were in '05 too, so expectation are higher

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:56 PM
Now you totally lost me - I thought the only point was that we were losing to good teams during our rebuilding in '05 while the horns have lost to weaker teams. Yeah, someone brought up rankings, but the fact is TCU was pretty good and going 11-1 proves it. UCLA and Iowa St. are not good and almost certainly end the season with losing records. But rebuilding is a bumpy process, usually with setbacks, and the horns could easily finish strong as we did on '05. The fact that Mack doesn't seem to be handling it well could be a red flag they won't.

EDIT: also the horns are not supposed to be rebuilding on defense as we were in '05 too, so expectation are higher

Hush it, I am being aggyish on that matter.

You know where people say it only matters when you played them?

But as far as the texas issue.....there were a lot of people, from fans of Texass to media people, thinking Texas was going to have a down year. I dont think any of us saw it this bad, but I did see it possible for Texas to lose 4 or 5 games this year because of their offense and the DL.

TrophyCollector
10/26/2010, 10:56 PM
Hopefully they'll have a big shakeup and hire Todd Dodge.

Collier11
10/26/2010, 10:58 PM
I think many thought ut would have a down year like you said 75 but you dont lose to iowa st and ucla at home. You dont get blow out at home. Outside of Neb which they had 2 weeks to prepare for, they havent looked good this year

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 11:03 PM
I think many thought ut would have a down year like you said 75 but you dont lose to iowa st and ucla at home. You dont get blow out at home. Outside of Neb which they had 2 weeks to prepare for, they havent looked good this year

It isnt the first time UCLA beat them at home.

LOL

I agree, they werent suppose to lose to ISU, but I was saying well before the season started that they could very well lose to UCLA, so that one did not surprise me at all.

Sooner_Tuf
10/27/2010, 01:28 PM
Yes I do...well a couple or a few of them.

Will be there this weekend too.

You?

I make most of the home games but I haven't been to a Sooner Fans Tailgate since we got the suite in 03. But I might come over there for a bit. I miss seeing Phil, Dean, and their families.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 07:07 PM
I make most of the home games but I haven't been to a Sooner Fans Tailgate since we got the suite in 03. But I might come over there for a bit. I miss seeing Phil, Dean, and their families.

They are derfinitely good peeps.