PDA

View Full Version : So how good are we?

Rocko
10/25/2010, 01:32 PM
I'm just wondering where we stand exactly as a team right now. Prior to the Mizzou game, we thought we were a young talented team pulling out all the stops to make a title run. Landry was looking golden, our running game was hitting it's stride, and the D was doing what it needed to do.

Obviously this game exposed our redundant offense, and our young defense. Here it seems that the offense is the easiest thing to adjust with a change of game plan. We run far to many bubble screens to Broyles and Murray and it finally caught up to us. Landry's stats have been padded on these plays and no one seemed to mention it, but it's true. (I'm not bashing Landry) We have so many weapons that look ready to preform, I think it's time we step away from our screen gameplan and start airing the ball out a little bit. Landry can make the throws, so let's let him!

Probably the most frustrating thing to watch in the game (besides the defense) was Landry throwing two 'giveme' picks. While some have been inclined to bash Landry, it's not his fault! If anything it's a result of our redundant gameplan!

I think our team is better than our gameplan.

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 01:35 PM
We are still that team, we just now have the experience of a loss. Losing makes you step back and see the big picture. 1 loss will not kill the season.
Now 3 losses and 1 to ISU will :)

soonercastor
10/25/2010, 01:35 PM
We are a young team, that is what killed us on Saturday with all those mistakes. Nobody really thought we were a championship caliber team, only the fact that we are OU is the reason that we were contenders. But the 6-0 got us dreaming, and why not? We were really a couple of road games from it. We got our wake up call and have a few things to fix. A big XII title and a BCS bowl win would still be a GREAT season for us, and setting up for a better season next year with all the experience.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:37 PM
We are pretty good, but pretty young.

When a team only has 10 seniors in their two deep (both off and def), Followed by just 11 Juniors. When a team has 16 Freshmen and 12 Sophomores in their two deep, you are an extrememly young team.

Everyone thought coming into the season we woudl be 1 year away from being a National Contender. This team is still a contender, just has more work to do to get there.

If we can win out, win the big 12 title and win our bowl game. That will be a major feat for this team for how young they are.

OU Engineer
10/25/2010, 01:38 PM
I dont think we will ever know the answer to this question this season.

If we show up and play our A game I think we are a MNC contender, especially considering how the top teams this year are all less than spectacular.

If we play like we did this weekend we may be headed to the cotton bowl...

I guarantee no matter what the outcome this season we still wont have a solid idea of who were better than...

misplacedsooner
10/25/2010, 01:39 PM
we are real good. win out and beat the snot outta someone in a bcs game and we are looking at starting the season next year at number 1....which is what most of us were looking at anyhow.

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 01:40 PM
That last interception was a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage.

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 01:40 PM
We are better than most of the teams in the country, but not as good as a few others.

soonercastor
10/25/2010, 01:41 PM
That last interception was a tipped ball at the line of scrimmage.

ok? :rolleyes:

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 01:44 PM
ok? :rolleyes:

The ball if not tipped gets downfeild much faster and the d back looks like a fool late jumping the play.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:44 PM
We are better than most of the teams in the country, but not as good as a few others.

Of all the teams in the nation...which ones are truly better than us?

Missouri beat us. I still do not think they are a better team than us. We made way too many mistakes in that game and it cost us.

Alabama? They are more experienced, but I wouldnt say they are any better.
Ohio State? Not at all.
Wisconsin? Nope, they got fortunate that Frentz pulled one of his boneheaded decisions.
Boise State? You mean the team that struggled against the team that lost to James madison?
Oregon? They look pretty don't they? They may be a little better than us, but they really havent faced anyone worth a **** either.
Auburn? They are an equal at best.

Who is clearly better than us this year? I dont see any one team that is clearly better than OU this year!

Sooner_Tuf
10/25/2010, 01:45 PM
We are nowhere near strong enough in the trenches to make a serious run at a MNC. We have a lot of talent and speed. As it matures we may have a MNC caliber team. Time will tell.

I think it is possible we will be that good next year, at the earliest.

Howzit
10/25/2010, 01:46 PM
We are pretty good, but pretty young.

And pretty thin in the defensive line. I was really surprised we got no pressure on their QB all night, and the holes their running backs were hitting.

TheMind__Gap
10/25/2010, 01:48 PM
We have the potential to be great with a little more experience. I am very excited about the future of Sooner football.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:50 PM
And pretty thin in the defensive line. I was really surprised we got no pressure on their QB all night, and the holes their running backs were hitting.

Well, that is because we have a very weak middle.

And it also has to do with running just one blitz where you brough 5 rushers instead of the normal 3 or 4.

Like I said Saturday night. If you cant generate a push by the front four, you have to compensate and risk a big play by bringing more than they can block...we did not do that...and Missouri's OL was their weak point and we didnt exploit it. Instead we made them look like world beaters!

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:51 PM
We have the potential to be great with a little more experience. I am very excited about the future of Sooner football.

I say that every season after we lose...yet we continue to lose when we shouldnt.

Cabin09
10/25/2010, 01:51 PM
OU is no better or worse than they have been since Bob Stoops has been the head coach! @ some point someone is going to have to address what OU lacks! OU lacks leadership from the coaching staff (i.e. from the head coach through all the assistant coaches). You have coaching staff(s) who can recruit, train but when there needs to be that extra edge to win, OU's coaching staff can't seem to rise to the occassion to implement and run plays that will assure victory! Maybe Bob Stoops has lost or never has had the ability to coach victories when the team has given all they have to give. Mediocrity is not what Oklahoma Sooner fans are accustomed too!

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 01:53 PM

Missouri beat us. I still do not think they are a better team than us. We made way too many mistakes in that game and it cost us.

Ohio State? Not at all.
Wisconsin? Nope, they got fortunate that Frentz pulled one of his boneheaded decisions.
Boise State? You mean the team that struggled against the team that lost to James madison?
Oregon? They look pretty don't they? They may be a little better than us, but they really havent faced anyone worth a **** either.

Who is clearly better than us this year? I dont see any one team that is clearly better than OU this year!

I think Auburn, Ohio State, Oregon, and Alabama are better than we are right now. Even though we lost to Mizzou, I know we could take them in Norman, and I think it would be a very good game on a neutral field.

This team is just so young and they just now seem to be getting comfortable outside of Owen Field. I think there is a very good chance for us to be the best in the country next year.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:54 PM
OU is no better or worse than they have been since Bob Stoops has been the head coach! @ some point someone is going to have to address what OU lacks! OU lacks leadership from the coaching staff (i.e. from the head coach through all the assistant coaches). You have coaching staff(s) who can recruit, train but when there needs to be that extra edge to win, OU's coaching staff can't seem to rise to the occassion to implement and run plays that will assure victory! Maybe Bob Stoops has lost or never has had the ability to coach victories when the team has given all they have to give. Mediocrity is not what Oklahoma Sooner fans are accustomed too!

You cannot say that we are lacking leadership in coaching, especially the head coach. You do not become the fastest coach to win 100 games and you do not have the most Big 12 Titles of any coach because you lack leadership skills.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:56 PM
I think Auburn, Ohio State, Oregon, and Alabama are better than we are right now. Even though we lost to Mizzou, I know we could take them in Norman, and I think it would be a very good game on a neutral field.

This team is just so young and they just now seem to be getting comfortable outside of Owen Field. I think there is a very good chance for us to be the best in the country next year.

Have you even watched Auburn or Ohio State play? Auburn relies on Newton to win games.

Ohio State is not a very good team. They are not a bad team, but not as good as the hype they are getting or got.

Alabama's defense is very suspect to the pass....hell look what Garcia did to them. They will shut our running game down though...but who hasnt?

Oregon has no defense. That was relevant when watching Stanford/oregon play.
Their offense is good. But against a team with a good defense they will slow down. The question is, which of our defenses shows up if we played these guys?

Just because a team is undefeated or from the SEC doesnt mean they are a better team than us.

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 01:58 PM
Have you even watched Auburn or Ohio State play? Auburn relies on Newton to win games.

Ohio State is not a very good team. They are not a bad team, but not as good as the hype they are getting or got.

Alabama's defense is very suspect to the pass....hell look what Garcia did to them. They will shut our running game down though...but who hasnt?

I've watched them both play quite a bit this year. I think they are both very good teams. Oh, and Wisconsin is also probably better than we are. Knew I was forgetting someone.:cool:

Sooner_Tuf
10/25/2010, 02:00 PM
Anyone with a run game would beat us like a rented mule.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:01 PM
I've watched them both play quite a bit this year. I think they are both very good teams. Oh, and Wisconsin is also probably better than we are. Knew I was forgetting someone.:cool:

You mean the wisconsin team that had to rely on a brainfart by Iowa to win the game?

Wisconsin is far from being better than Oklahoma.

I am sure there are better teams...but watching the games so far this year, not one team stands out as a frontrunner for the National Title. Not one team shows any true dominance this year.

That is why I do not think there are any teams better than OU...but a bunch of teams that would be equal.

I am not saying OU is better than these teams either.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2010, 02:03 PM
Oregon's offense would run us off the field. We might stay with them in the first half, but if we couldn't find a 2nd half offense better than what we've shown in any game so far, there would be no prayer of "hanging on". Maybe if we ask them to kindly muff every punt, we have a chance.

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 02:03 PM
O
regon has no defense. That was relevant when watching Stanford/oregon play.
Their offense is good. But against a team with a good defense they will slow down. The question is, which of our defenses shows up if we played these guys?

Just because a team is undefeated or from the SEC doesnt mean they are a better team than us.

Please quit editing so it looks like I'm avoiding something.

Oregon has a hella offense, and I'm not sure we can score enough to keep up, at least not yet.

And I picked as many Big 10 teams as I did SEC teams, so nyah nyah nyah

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 02:04 PM
You mean the wisconsin team that had to rely on a brainfart by Iowa to win the game?

Wisconsin is far from being better than Oklahoma.

I am sure there are better teams...but watching the games so far this year, not one team stands out as a frontrunner for the National Title. Not one team shows any true dominance this year.

That is why I do not think there are any teams better than OU...but a bunch of teams that would be equal.

Exactly my point. No one is an undisputed standout this year, at least not yet. Neither are we. We are a legitimate Top 10 team, and considering how many freshman are playing, that's pretty impressive.

If you don't think Wisconsin is any good, you aren't paying attention. Championship teams always need some luck. Perhaps you'd like to check out OU/A&M 2000 for an example?

2121Sooner
10/25/2010, 02:05 PM
Based upon some statistical analysis that I have done I would say that at this point in the season we are about the 9th best team in the country.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:05 PM
O

Please quit editing so it looks like I'm avoiding something.

Oregon has a hella offense, and I'm not sure we can score enough to keep up, at least not yet.

And I picked as many Big 10 teams as I did SEC teams, so nyah nyah nyah

Ill edit instead of posting a new one. just do a follow up.

:P

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:07 PM
Oregon's offense would run us off the field. We might stay with them in the first half, but if we couldn't find a 2nd half offense better than what we've shown in any game so far, there would be no prayer of "hanging on". Maybe if we ask them to kindly muff every punt, we have a chance.

But could their defense stay with our offense?

I remember people saying the same thing about Florida State's offense.

They have looked great after OU slammed them around.

It all depends on which OU team shows up if we played any of the teams mentioned.

Are we going to be Dr. Jekyl or Mr. Hyde?

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 02:08 PM
Based upon some statistical analysis that I have done I would say that at this point in the season we are about the 9th best team in the country.

Copycat.:P

Ill edit instead of posting a new one. just do a follow up.

Complicated!! Next you'll be telling me that Madu returning kicks isn't really the same as actually playing.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:09 PM
Copycat.:P

Complicated!! Next you'll be telling me that Madu returning kicks isn't really the same as actually playing.

Is it? Didnt he muff one, and had a fumble on a run? :pop: :eek:

Sooner_Tuf
10/25/2010, 02:10 PM

What are you saying? Or do you just want to argue?

OU has a lot of potential but they are not playing like the best team in the nation. They aren't even playing like a top ten team at this point to me but that is just my opinion.

Until we start controlling the line of scrimmage consistently we could be beat by anyone on a given day.

Alabama is not the team they were last year but they would pound us without mercy.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:12 PM
What are you saying? Or do you just want to argue?

OU has a lot of potential but they are not playing like the best team in the nation. They aren't even playing like a top ten team at this point to me but that is just my opinion.

Until we start controlling the line of scrimmage consistently we could be beat by anyone on a given day.

Alabama is not the team they were last year but they would pound us without mercy.

Can't you read? Or is it normal to just take one little part of a post out and use it instead of the entire post?

I'll give you a free pass this time and repeat it for you. Next time, please read the entire post, not the last sentence.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2010, 02:12 PM
Everyone talks about Oregon's D against Stanford, but those were quick scores that came off turnovers early in the game. Stanford had 31 points at half, but only a slim lead. They had 31 points at the end and were blown out of the game. The Ducks are doing what we did in '08. They runs so many plays and have so many possessions, the opponent gets more possessions as well and that makes the D look worse than it is. But if you are scoring 5 points/possession and the other guy is scoring 2.5, the answer is easy: more possessions!

I'm not saying the Ducks win out, but the team that beats them is the team that can disrupt their rhythm on offense as well as win the 2nd half. Not a good match-up for our squad.

Soonermagik
10/25/2010, 02:15 PM
This is a really good team. They should have won, but the turnovers doomed them. It happens, and this should light a fire under Stoops and the team.

It's good that these young players know what a loss feels like. I would much rather them lose a game early like this to Missouri then learn on a really big stage. Plus, they could replay this team and wipe the floor with them. They will be just fine. Oh.. and this team has unreal potential for the next few years.

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 02:15 PM
Is it? Didnt he muff one, and had a fumble on a run? :pop: :eek:

If he's on the field he's playing. How is that complicated?

And yes, I did have some guy thinking he needed to explain football to me. He's just lucky he's married to one of my friends. :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:17 PM

And yes, I did have some guy thinking he needed to explain football to me. He's just lucky he's married to one of my friends. :rolleyes:

Oh, I am not explaining **** to you or anyone else. I am stating my opinion.

And thanks for the obvious btw.

TheMind__Gap
10/25/2010, 02:18 PM
I say that every season after we lose...yet we continue to lose when we shouldnt.

But weve never had such an outstanding freshman class as we do this year. Millard, Finch, Stills, Colvin, Jefferson, Nelson, Noble, Clay...who else am I missing?

Only a sophomore QB....I see lots to be exited about.

2121Sooner
The team that beats Oregon is going to have to have the style of offense that is going to keep the Oregon offense on the sideline, and not turn the ball over.

They are simply too explosive

Cornfed

It's an oblong pigskin covered bladder... oh sorry i misunderstood you...j/k

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 02:19 PM
I hear I'm pretty good..I don't know about the rest of you

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:20 PM
You know you are the best!

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2010, 02:23 PM
I hear I'm pretty good..I don't know about the rest of you

I heard I was a tad bit better.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 02:24 PM
I heard I was a tad bit better.

collier lied to you

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 02:28 PM
I heard i'm not as good as I used to be.

Serge Ibaka
10/25/2010, 02:37 PM
Coaching.

Finch should have gotten the ball in the fourth.

Our D is perpetually average in big games, away from home, (and against Air Force and Utah State).

Yawn.

NormanPride
10/25/2010, 02:41 PM
Same team as the one that struggled against USU. Weak DL which puts pressure on the young LBs. Corners are young and make mistakes which puts pressure on the Safeties. OL is terrible at run blocking which makes Murray look bad. Landry can't think past his first read which makes the whole O look inconsistent.

Same team that blew out FSU. Great speed all over the D and the corners have a lot of talent which helps for a slightly lackluster pass rush. LBs hit hard and can tackle well when in the mood which means we can get people in 3rd and long easily. Tons of talent at the WR position and a great RB that can catch out of the backfield means we can use multiple formations with the same personnel and catch the opposing D off guard. OL is pretty good at pass blocking and we have a great young RB that can take advantage of the holes available in a draw play.

Sooner_Tuf
10/25/2010, 02:42 PM
Can't you read? Or is it normal to just take one little part of a post out and use it instead of the entire post?

I'll give you a free pass this time and repeat it for you. Next time, please read the entire post, not the last sentence.

Heh don't worry about giving me anything. When you're four you don't have much to give.

007sooner
10/25/2010, 02:45 PM
What about TCU? The way they handled AF and the way we did... well. It speaks for itself.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:49 PM
Heh don't worry about giving me anything. When you're four you don't have much to give.

Hello insult.

It isn't my fault you failed to read my post.
But nice try young man.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:49 PM
What about TCU? The way they handled AF and the way we did... well. It speaks for itself.

Well, is that like how, I dont know, Iowa State beat Texas this weekend?

Sooner_Tuf
10/25/2010, 02:53 PM
Hello insult.

It isn't my fault you failed to read my post.
But nice try young man.

Apology accepted.

Spritekid
10/25/2010, 04:13 PM
I think Auburn, Ohio State, Oregon, and Alabama are better than we are right now.

I agree with Auburn, Oregon and Alabama... but Ohio State (Seriously) ummmmmm NO.

Beachsooner
10/25/2010, 04:18 PM
Let's face it. More than 12 Freshmen have played in other than a mop up capacity. We're young, talented and we're a year away.

C&CDean
10/25/2010, 04:23 PM
I think the Ying team is pretty damn good. The Yang team succs

It's gotta be maddening to be a coach in this program. It's killing me, and I'm just a poor fan. The only difference between FSU and MU is execution. We're ****ing bi-polar or something.

oudavid1
10/25/2010, 04:39 PM
Good and young, like all my girlfriends.

ThinMan
10/25/2010, 05:58 PM
We are definitely a young team. It is expected that we would drop a game.

However, we need to see improvement. I'm only "fine" with the loss if we get better week to week. Particularly we need to improve on defense. We need to improve the pass rush, and cover the gap over the middle of that zone coverage.

Our goals from here on out should be:
1) Win out each game.
2) Improve week to week, especially on defense.
3) Win the South (will require us to beat OSU in Stillwater).
4) Win Big 12 (please let it be Missouri again - want the rematch).
5) Win BCS bowl game whatever it is.

That would be a great year and something to build on for next year.

ThinMan
10/25/2010, 06:06 PM
Let's face it. More than 12 Freshmen have played in other than a mop up capacity. We're young, talented and we're a year away.

Lots of Sophmores too; Landry, Habern, Evans, Ronnell, King, McGee, McFarland, Walker, Ibiloye, and Hurst to name a few that have started. We should be very good for years to come.

Still I want us to win that last Big12 championship. It is our right and I want to see Murray, Beal, and possibly Broyles to go out champs. There is a lot of work to make that happen.

soonerchk
10/25/2010, 07:38 PM
I agree with Auburn, Oregon and Alabama... but Ohio State (Seriously) ummmmmm NO.

I also added Wisconsin. I stand by my selections.:cool:

tommieharris91
10/25/2010, 07:45 PM
I'm surprised we beat Iowa state.

Iam4OUru
10/25/2010, 07:51 PM

Ohio State? Not at all.

Alabama? Overall? Yes
Ohio St.? Probably not.
Wisconsin? Close
Boise St.? :pop:
Oregon? Probably so.
Auburn? Definitely.
Nebraska? Yes
TCU? toss-up

stoopified
10/25/2010, 08:17 PM
I think we are Top 10,beyond that i have no idea.How the youth answers this challenge will determine OUr finish.

soonercastor
10/25/2010, 08:21 PM
Alabama? Overall? Yes
Ohio St.? Probably not.
Wisconsin? Close
Oregon? Probably so.
Auburn? Definitely.
Nebraska? Yes
TCU? toss-up

How do u compare Oregon to us? they maybe better but there is no definite way to tell. Auburn is a one man show, slow him down and they're done but that's the hard part slowing him down so idk. Nebraska is NOT better than us. I agree with the rest.

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 09:32 AM
How do u compare Oregon to us? they maybe better but there is no definite way to tell. Auburn is a one man show, slow him down and they're done but that's the hard part slowing him down so idk. Nebraska is NOT better than us. I agree with the rest.

If we played with the same intensity and focus that we displayed Saturday night....we would not have beaten any Top 10 team, including Boyzee, TCU and tOSU.

misplacedsooner
10/26/2010, 10:13 AM
we have played with that same intensity a few times this year and snuck by because we were far and away better, we finally played a team that was just barely good enough to snatch victory from us and they did. there are quite a few teams that could beat us if we play like that and just give the game away. that said with the athletes we have and the talent there really isnt a team out there that we cant beat...if we play ball the way we can.

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 11:09 AM
we have played with that same intensity a few times this year and snuck by because we were far and away better, we finally played a team that was just barely good enough to snatch victory from us and they did. there are quite a few teams that could beat us if we play like that and just give the game away. that said with the athletes we have and the talent there really isnt a team out there that we cant beat...if we play ball the way we can.

I'll buy that.

BoulderSooner79
10/26/2010, 11:13 AM

I'll buy that.

I'll buy that too, but elite teams play at the top of their game most the time instead of a minority of the time. That's what this squad must start doing now in order to win the division and conference.

Okie35
10/26/2010, 11:18 AM
Alabama? Overall? Yes
Ohio St.? Probably not.
Wisconsin? Close
Oregon? Probably so.
Auburn? Definitely.
Nebraska? Yes
TCU? toss-up

I honestly think Auburn is pretty average. They're lucky w/ their schedule revolving around home games. The best SEC team is Alabama. If you look at Auburn's games like Mississippi State and Clemson :confused:. Auburn ran for over 400 yards against LSU but only won by 7 and LSU's offense is garbage. Auburn is a 1 man team and their defense isn't very good. We can beat Nebraska, Boise State, Wisconsin (if we tackle well because they'll run most of the game), and TCU. Alabama and Oregon are a toss-up. Oregon's weak spot is their DBs. Honestly well prepared we can beat any team.