PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa World Picker speaks the truth

WestLakeHillsSooner
10/25/2010, 12:43 PM
He nails it:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/picker/

Amen, amen and amen. I never want to see an Oklahoma coaching staff wave the white flag ever again. Bob lost some serious respect from a lot of people with that move. That is not Oklahoma Football.

3rdgensooner
10/25/2010, 12:47 PM
I read the second part of that url as "sport sex-tra".

So yeah, that's all I got on this ad nauseum topic.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 12:47 PM
What? Someone thinks we shouldn't have gone for two or punted the ball late in the game? I think a lot of people on this board have "spoken the truth" about this already...

OhU1
10/25/2010, 12:49 PM
I was baffled when we punted. As hopeless as the sitution was how do you give up when there is still a chance? Is it really out of the question to make a 4th and 8?

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2010, 12:50 PM
Saturday it was.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 12:53 PM
I was baffled when we punted. As hopeless as the sitution was how do you give up when there is still a chance? Is it really out of the question to make a 4th and 8?

Well, there is little hope when the players all but were packed ready for the bus ride home (yes, I know they fly).

Landry Jones was 0 of 7 for 1 INT in the 4th quarter.

Yeah, I wouldn't have much faith when you QB doesn't know how to throw a catchable ball in the 4th quarter.

OhU1
10/25/2010, 01:32 PM
Well, there is little hope when the players all but were packed ready for the bus ride home (yes, I know they fly).

Yeah, I wouldn't have much faith when you QB doesn't know how to throw a catchable ball in the 4th quarter.

Yep. I had little hope myself. I was not even upset at the punt, but I was a little surprised at the surrender with 2minutes left.

Bottom line for me were the many huge mistakes (by player) made well before the 4th quarter. We were lucky not to have been down much more. So the questionable calls at the end of the game had nothing to do with why we lost. It was just puzzling.

fwsooner22
10/25/2010, 01:35 PM
Ask yourself what coach Switzer would have done ?

Leroy Lizard
10/25/2010, 01:53 PM
Ask yourself what coach Switzer would have done ?

Switzer was badly criticized in one Sooner/Husker game (1986?) for punting late. Then Holieway hooked up with Keith Jackson and OU kicked the game-winning field goal.

EDIT: Beano Cook was one of the biggest complainers. During a break he said that Switzer made a major mistake in punting and made it look like he was conceding the game.

After the game Beano said "That's why he's coaching the Oklahoma Sooners and I'm not." (Paraphrase)

PDXsooner
10/25/2010, 01:59 PM
Hard to defend the punt.

But you know you're gonna have to score a two-point conversion with one of the two TD's you need to tie the game. How you can say definitively it was a bad idea is beyond me. You are delaying the inevitable.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 01:59 PM
Switzer was badly criticized in one Sooner/Husker game (1986?) for punting late. Then Holieway hooked up with Keith Jackson and OU kicked the game-winning field goal.

EDIT: Beano Cook was one of the biggest complainers. During a break he said that Switzer made a major mistake in punting and made it look like he was conceding the game.

After the game Beano said "That's why he's coaching the Oklahoma Sooners and I'm not." (Paraphrase)

Best case senario after that punt though, we have 15 seconds left for two scores. Unlike the example you used with Switzer, punt=game over.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 02:02 PM
Hard to defend the punt.

But you know you're gonna have to score a two-point conversion with one of the two TD's you need to tie the game. How you can say definitively it was a bad idea is beyond me. You are delaying the inevitable.

I agree, I don't know why people are so adamant about this. And there is no guarantee that we make it down the field and score again. As I said in the other thread, we got lucky on a great return and two automatic first downs penalties in thier redzone. If we had taken the one, I don't know if we could have put together another drive to get all the way downfield.

stoopified
10/25/2010, 02:11 PM
The fact that the writer casually dismisses osu's loss to NU and blasts OU (and coaches) for losing to Missou tells you all you need to know about his agenda.As for NFL type passes and catches that beat oSu,I have no idea what game he saw.The NU qb flung the ball up and wide-open recievers grabbed it and ran.There is no TRUTH here,just total crap.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/25/2010, 02:54 PM
Even though he would never say so publicly, we all know Stoops punted knowing the game was lost, and he was not going to give Mizzou the ball right there, so they could score again, and we all know Mizzou would have tried. He was probablly thinking, well, losing by 9 looks better than losing by 16.
In theory, many voters who did not see the game, OU losing by 9 only, actually could have saved them a spot or two in the polls. Had they lost by 16, some voters may have voted them lower (the ones who didnt see the game).

C&CDean
10/25/2010, 03:05 PM
Hard to defend the punt.

Something I can agree with. WTF?

C&CDean
10/25/2010, 03:05 PM
Even though he would never say so publicly, we all know Stoops punted knowing the game was lost, and he was not going to give Mizzou the ball right there, so they could score again, and we all know Mizzou would have tried. He was probablly thinking, well, losing by 9 looks better than losing by 16.
In theory, many voters who did not see the game, OU losing by 9 only, actually could have saved them a spot or two in the polls. Had they lost by 16, some voters may have voted them lower (the ones who didnt see the game).

We all do huh? You're FOS like the Christmas goose.

SoonerInLubbock
10/25/2010, 03:07 PM

This is the best explanation I've seen yet.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/25/2010, 03:16 PM
We all do huh? You're FOS like the Christmas goose.

Sorry, but it is the truth. Seen many coaches punt right there. Hell, in fact, most coaches probably punt right there. Trailing by 2 scores, sitting on thier own 5, 4th and long, 2 minutes to go......not saying it is right, but most do it.

Husker In Oklahoma
10/25/2010, 03:26 PM
This is the best explanation I've seen yet.

It just makes the most sense, when you stop and think about it. What else would he have been thinking? Wasn't it 4th and more than 10 to go, on thier own 3 or so? I was a little drunk, so I don't exactly remember, but seems like he just wasn't willing to give them another score. Seen coaches do that many times over.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 03:29 PM

I said this on a couple of other threads, the only explanation I have for why he punted. That said I would still have gone for it.

C&CDean
10/25/2010, 03:32 PM
Oh I ain't arguing about punting in that position. I'm just saying that "we all" agree with your "truth."

Personally (as usual) I can't see where the coaches lost this game for us. If the boys made the plays Stoops wouldn't have been in that predicament. Same goes for the failed 2-pointer. If Landry doesn't vapor-lock (like he's been prone to do in away games), we don't let a rabid Missouri crowd get into it by allowing a KOR on the opening kick, and Madu doesn't fumble - we win this thing.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 03:35 PM
Oh I ain't arguing about punting in that position. I'm just saying that "we all" agree with your "truth."

Personally (as usual) I can't see where the coaches lost this game for us. If the boys made the plays Stoops wouldn't have been in that predicament. Same goes for the failed 2-pointer. If Landry doesn't vapor-lock (like he's been prone to do in away games), we don't let a rabid Missouri crowd get into it by allowing a KOR on the opening kick, and Madu doesn't fumble - we win this thing.

I tried to say this earlier in the thread but nobody seemed to listen. :D

Husker In Oklahoma
10/25/2010, 03:38 PM
I said this on a couple of other threads, the only explanation I have for why he punted. That said I would still have gone for it.

And one single extra point would have eliminated this whole issue. :pop:

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2010, 03:41 PM

He was criticized for kicking the tying extra point and not going for two; Switzer never punted late in that game

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 03:42 PM
And one single extra point would have eliminated this whole issue. :pop:

Now don't be puttin words in my mouth, I never said anything like that. I'm acctually on Team 2 point conversion. I don't think make Stoops made the wrong call on that one. Go to the 2 point conversion thread and you'll see how I feel about that.

I agree, I don't know why people are so adamant about this. And there is no guarantee that we make it down the field and score again. As I said in the other thread, we got lucky on a great return and two automatic first downs penalties in thier redzone. If we had taken the one, I don't know if we could have put together another drive to get all the way downfield.

CatfishSooner
10/25/2010, 04:02 PM

Holy ****...i didn't realize how bad landry played in the 4th...

I'm sure he'll pick it up for the rest of the season...or I hope he does :confused:

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2010, 07:07 PM

I'm sure he'll pick it up for the rest of the season...or I hope he does :confused:

Past history says he won't; very interesting read here but i couldn't link it right so you will have to click on the Landry link in the main article; sorry

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101025_92_B1_ULNSUs758817

soonercastor
10/25/2010, 07:15 PM

well the INT was deflected; one incompletion was to Murray running to the left side, that was also deflected. On the third down the OL was non-existant. The other was actually a "good" incompletion after he had pressure in his face and threw it at Murray's feet. The other was a hail mary...sort of.

So I don't blame him much, except on that first INT and on Madu's fumble; should have never thrown it his way with all the crowd over there.

He will bounce back.

starrca23
10/25/2010, 07:17 PM
Just my thoughts, but here they are:
2 turnovers in the red zone
Special Teams mistake
Dreadful Int on the screen pass
The sure handed Ryan Broyles drops a touchdown throw that was on the money
It took all of those mistakes for Mizzou to beat us on there best day. Only one of those (special team play) could be considered coaching blunders.
Now let me be critical on one tiny point: How many times were we gonna try that screen to Demarco that NEVER WORKED!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
10/25/2010, 07:20 PM
I was baffled when we punted. As hopeless as the sitution was how do you give up when there is still a chance? Is it really out of the question to make a 4th and 8?It(the punt call) baffled the he*l out of me, too.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 07:25 PM
Mistakes and missed opportunities piled up during that game. The missed FG alone could have been game changing.

EnragedOUfan
10/25/2010, 07:45 PM
Who cares what this writer thinks, he's a freaking moron...............Yes, we all even myself wonder why that call was made, but Stoops owns no one anything in regards to whether or not he'll lose their respect. I've thought about it, and I've concluded that the best coaches in college fooball are Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel, and Mack Brown. Reason being is that these coaches have been so consistent for over a decade now. That is amazing coaching and recruiting. Sure, Saban and Meyer both won a ball here and there, even more than OU, Texas, and Ohio State combined, but can these two be consistent at one school for over a decade? That's the question I would like to have an answer to, but at the same time I dread it because I'll be 6 years older (based on Meyer's and Saban's beginning years with Bama and Florida). Yeah, its easy to criticize the call because we lost, but with how fast Stoops has brought us back to the top since last season, he deserves absolutely no criticism even if there is a bone headed call every now and then.....................BOOMER!

TigerNuts
10/25/2010, 07:55 PM
It took all of those mistakes for Mizzou to beat us on there best day.

Our best day? First of all, this whole "if's and but's" conversation is futile. But, as long as we're playing that game, don't forget that MU lost two fumbles on our side of the field and allowed a crazy kick return late in the game. Without those mistakes, it's a 10-17 point swing our way. You can play this game both ways.

Also, we had more penalties for more yards. It was hardly our best day.

swardboy
10/25/2010, 08:43 PM
Just my thoughts, but here they are:
2 turnovers in the red zone
Special Teams mistake
Dreadful Int on the screen pass
The sure handed Ryan Broyles drops a touchdown throw that was on the money
It took all of those mistakes for Mizzou to beat us on there best day. Only one of those (special team play) could be considered coaching blunders.
Now let me be critical on one tiny point: How many times were we gonna try that screen to Demarco that NEVER WORKED!!!

And Demarco catches that one pass out in space and trips himself up and falls....I can't say it was a sure TD, but he was sure all alone.

jkjsooner
10/25/2010, 09:18 PM
Hard to defend the punt.

Please join me in the two point conversion thread.

jkjsooner
10/25/2010, 09:24 PM

Let's say you beat MU and beat us in the conference championship game. It could easily come down to OU/MU for an at large BCS bid. It's easier to justify picking OU after a 9 point loss than a 16 point loss.

It's not how anyone wants the game played but with millions riding on BCS bowl births it is something that probably is taken into consideration.

cmoneyou
10/25/2010, 09:26 PM
Let's say you beat MU and beat us in the conference championship game. It could easily come down to OU/MU for an at large BCS bid. It's easier to justify picking OU after a 9 point loss than a 16 point loss.

It's not how anyone wants the game played but with millions riding on BCS bowl births it is something that probably is taken into consideration.

This kind of thinking sort of explains the weirdest call of the night, the backwards pass fest at the end of the game.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 09:48 PM

It was a team loss. Players and coaches, and yea the DBs were very confused. That's why I'd bet my house that if we had another shot this year, we'd win. We'd be more prepared.

Sooners78
10/26/2010, 08:51 AM
He was criticized for kicking the tying extra point and not going for two; Switzer never punted late in that game

That's right. It was really a brilliant move. By tying the game, he knew Nebraska would be trying to score on their next possession so they would be trying to save time on the clock. After Boz and co. forced a three and out, Jamelle had time to move us down the field for the winning FG.

Also, a tie in that situation gave OU the conference title and Orange Bowl. Switzer always said that conference titles are the first goal of the team.

starrca23
10/26/2010, 01:33 PM
Our best day? First of all, this whole "if's and but's" conversation is futile. But, as long as we're playing that game, don't forget that MU lost two fumbles on our side of the field and allowed a crazy kick return late in the game. Without those mistakes, it's a 10-17 point swing our way. You can play this game both ways.

Also, we had more penalties for more yards. It was hardly our best day.

So...beating the number one team in the nation is not your best day...got it.

10/26/2010, 01:47 PM
So...beating the number one team in the nation is not your best day...got it.I waste enough time reading and posting on OU message boards. It mystifies me why a fan of another team would want to read and post on an opponent's board, as well as his own team's.(assuming that Misery fan DOES read and post on MU boards)

TigerNuts
10/26/2010, 03:40 PM
So...beating the number one team in the nation is not your best day...got it.

"best day" referred to the quality of play not the magnitude of the win. We made plenty of mistakes that could've made the score worse than it was, but that's just part of the game.

cmoneyou
10/26/2010, 03:44 PM
"best day" referred to the quality of play not the magnitude of the win. We made plenty of mistakes that could've made the score worse than it was, but that's just part of the game.

I have to agree with him. Have you ever seen ou win a game an not play their very best?

OUthunder
10/26/2010, 05:10 PM

Not even the amount of alcohol in my system could hide the truth about his performance in the 4th quarter. He's pretty much a choker on the road at this stage in his carer.

It also doesn't help though when your OC calls 2 and 3 yard pass plays with the safeties cheatin up at the line of scrimmage and the LB's looking for a screen or swing pass that they've seen at least three times prior, all with NO success.

starrca23
10/30/2010, 05:43 PM

That was your "best day." You won't play that well again this year.

10/31/2010, 01:26 AM
"best day" referred to the quality of play not the magnitude of the win. We made plenty of mistakes that could've made the score worse than it was, but that's just part of the game.WOOPS, SORRY TIGERS...see ya in Norman in what, 3 yrs.?