PDA

View Full Version : Brent Venables' Defensive Scheme

yankee
10/25/2010, 12:08 PM
No, this is not a FIRE BRENT VULNERABLES!!!!!! thread. Sorry, haters.

I've seen a lot of posts pointing out over the time I've been on this board that his defense is very complicated, especially for the linebackers.

Why is that? What makes it so much different/harder than other college defenses?

I'm not a defensive guru. Surely some of you are, or think you are.

Discuss.

agoo758
10/25/2010, 12:12 PM
We need to get better, and we need to be able to adjust if our current game plan isnt working, that is all there is to it. :(

Leroy Lizard
10/25/2010, 12:17 PM
We need to get better, and we need to be able to adjust if our current game plan isnt working, that is all there is to it. :(

Wow. Did you even read the OP?

Not sure if BV's defenses are more complicated than the usual, but if they are that would explain why our freshmen have had a hard time adjusting to it.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 12:20 PM
having a hard time adjusting to getting off blocks,tackling correctly, and covering receivers..

agoo758
10/25/2010, 12:22 PM
Wow. Did you even read the OP?

Not sure if BV's defenses are more complicated than the usual, but if they are that would explain why our freshmen have had a hard time adjusting to it.

Every time I hear the the words Venables and defense, I am too overcome with emotion to read the OP:O

MojoRisen
10/25/2010, 12:23 PM
We didn't have any intensity on D, not sure if it was the scheme.. I too have heard that a lot of the complexity can take away from natural instincts.

NormanPride
10/25/2010, 12:24 PM
We only have one LB that has played in games before this year. Travis is good, but he's also the WLB who gets all the tackles and fun plays in this scheme. Nelson already looks as good in some situations. His blitz late in the game made me smile for the first time on D in that game.

Doesn't help that we seem to have dropped about 12 ints this year.

soonerboy_odanorth
10/25/2010, 12:25 PM
Nothing wrong with the Stoops/Venables/Rodriguez scheme.

This year it is the Johnnies and Joes, not X's and O's.

Poor Adrien just does not have any push upfield anymore. He didn't get moved around much, but my heart was breaking for him watching him hobble all around the field Saturday. And he just couldn't penetrate. If I were Venables, I would shut him down until oSu week. See if a few more weeks will let him heal enough to be more of a factor.

Jamarkus is teetering on bust (compared to "stars" ranking) in that he could go either way, IMO. He needs to decide now and in this next off-season whether he wants to be "OK", "good", or "great". With the DT class we are signing, and the way Noble has played, unless he turns it on he will be seeing lots of pine. And McGee still needs another solid year of good weight gain to be effective. After the first half I started watching that interior and both McFarland and McGee were getting blown out of their gaps. Not backwards, but side-to-side. They were routinely ending up 1 to 2 gaps down the line from where they should have been. Not having a space eater like Walker for this game really killed us.

As we are talking about the middle, one other thing is we need a thumper with some weight at MLB or SLB if we run into this team again (hoping for it in a Big XII championship).

I nominate R. Lewis. His presence was missed both on defense and, obviously given the results of the first kickoff, special teams. But as for defending that jet sweep it is simple assignment football. You tell Lewis his responsibility is that motion RB. He steps towards the line on a fake or handoff and you hit him every single time. That leaves that SLB open to draws and misdirection, but if your MLB and WLB and a NG are all sound in their gap responsibilities it isn't that much of a problem.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 12:53 PM
Play a nickel defense against a 5 wide set when your 4 are getting no pressure?????? It is the X's and O's along with the Johnies and the Joes. You've got to put your team in the best position to have success. Sitting back in the base nickel is not the way to do it. We let them hang around with offensive mistakes and our inability to move the chains and that exposed the D. They couldn't stop my grandma in the 4th quarter. They were only on the field 12 minutes and 52 seconds in the 4 th quarter.

Leroy Lizard
10/25/2010, 01:10 PM
Play a nickel defense against a 5 wide set when your 4 are getting no pressure?????? It is the X's and O's along with the Johnies and the Joes. You've got to put your team in the best position to have success. Sitting back in the base nickel is not the way to do it.

Venables knows more about D than any of us and if he is using a nickel defense then there must be a reason for it. I would be curious to know the reasons, but I am sure they are sound.

ddub0224
10/25/2010, 01:14 PM
I would be curious to hear why we didn't try to blitz more. That's how we handled booger the previous couple years. Gotta get pressure early so they don't have time kill us down the middle over, and over, and over, and over...

cccasooner2
10/25/2010, 01:20 PM
Why is that? What makes it so much different/harder than other college defenses?

I'm not a defensive guru. Surely some of you are, or think you are.

Discuss.

Well, it's still early, and not all results are in, but as you can see it must be complicated as hell. So far no one has answered your question in bold. There are the typical "here's what I would do" BS though.

aero
10/25/2010, 01:23 PM
No question BV has forgotten more about football than I will ever know but to someone who watches a lot of football, it just doesn't seem we make any in-game adjustments. I see other teams do it. At least in the 2nd half. Did we ever lay a hand on gabbert? Maybe once? I just thought we should have tried something different. There was a few blitzes and while few if any sacks were the result, a few times it did seem like it threw gabbert off a bit. And weren't all of the blitzes from the edge? I don't remember anything from the middle. But then again, what do I know. Maybe their line is just that good.

soonervegas
10/25/2010, 01:24 PM
It's always the players faults. Just remember that.....

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 01:27 PM
From what I can see the scheme starts and ends with the push from the tackles, heck we flush him out every other play and seal up the center how much different do you think the game would be?

A nickel works if you get pressure, you have 4 player taking care of 6 offensive players, what does that translate to down feild?

soonercastor
10/25/2010, 01:39 PM
Idk maybe we underestimated their OL thinking a 4 man rush would get it done. We barely made any adjustments though, that's what bothers me; or we did make adjustments but that was never translated on the field

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 01:43 PM
Venables knows more about D than any of us and if he is using a nickel defense then there must be a reason for it. I would be curious to know the reasons, but I am sure they are sound.

He can run disguises and bring 6 against texass. But he won't do it against
Missouri while their QB is sitting back for 8 seconds. Boggles my mind. Like I said the Offense didn't help with their 3 and outs. But the D needs to pin their ears back and attack.

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 01:43 PM
Idk maybe we underestimated their OL thinking a 4 man rush would get it done. We barely made any adjustments though, that's what bothers me; or we did make adjustments but that was never translated on the field

We blitzed quite a bit more in the second half and the blitzing back only a few times made it through and caused any kind of havoc.
We also moved the safeties out more to assist with the outer passes. They went more to the center because of this on slants and picks to the middle.

and going into the 4th quarter they had about 80 yards of rushing, they finished the game with 178!!!

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:47 PM
Its not complicated, just a zone based defense. Almost everything we do is out of the zone.

Technically we are a 4-3 base defense, but this year, we are running a base 4-2-5 defense.

One thing that is making it look complicated is we don't have that Middle Linebacker like we have had with Lofton, Marshall, and the others we have had in the middle.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 01:48 PM
Missouri while their QB is sitting back for 8 seconds. Boggles my mind. Like I said the Offense didn't help with their 3 and outs. But the D needs to pin their ears back and attack.

Not in a bend but dont break defense. Sorry!

And I hate it. Why give the offense a chance to break you? Go after their asses with wild abandon and beat the **** out of your opponent!

btb916
10/25/2010, 01:49 PM

It's hard to bring a lot of pressure when they have five wideouts. You really need everyone back in coverage or you will get burned sooner rather than later in the play.

Just to hijack the thread a tiny bit, did anyone else see Jefferson running from side to side a lot? I wasn't sure if he just didn't know where he should be, or if they were just making last minute adjustments. He sure seemed confused sometimes.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 02:11 PM
It's hard to bring a lot of pressure when they have five wideouts. You really need everyone back in coverage or you will get burned sooner rather than later in the play.

Just to hijack the thread a tiny bit, did anyone else see Jefferson running from side to side a lot? I wasn't sure if he just didn't know where he should be, or if they were just making last minute adjustments. He sure seemed confused sometimes.

If you get zero pressure with four you must take chances. OU should destroy Mizzou's 5 wide out set with a basic dime package. Bring the two safeties up, and bring the GD LB. Athlete on athlete OU should win. I promise you Nebraska will do it this week and they will fluster Mizzou's young QB. Mark my words.

Leroy Lizard
10/25/2010, 02:51 PM
If you get zero pressure with four you must take chances.

I think that's exactly what Missouri wants: An outmanned, freshman-loaded, secondary.

OU_Sooners75
10/25/2010, 02:52 PM
I think that's exactly what Missouri wants: An outmanned, freshman-loaded, secondary.

Well, they got an outmanned, freshman loaded defense instead. :eek:

goingoneight
10/25/2010, 02:54 PM
We have a badly inconsistent D-line, and I think it took last Saturday for the coaches to finally get that. The time Gabbert had to just sit and play X-box with our breakdowns in coverage was just pathetic. They can bring it in some games, but they're lacking way too many times. And as stated above, no Lofton in the middle means Gabbert and all the rest can buy lost of time with their legs if not buying themselves a cheap first and ten by tucking the ball and running with it. People wanted 4-2-5 and 3-3-5 this past off-season, they're seeing what happens if it's not executed properly. The benchmark of a Stoops defense is getting in the backfield and stopping the run. We're not doing that, and it's allowing OUr other weaknesses to be exposed.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2010, 03:48 PM
having a hard time adjusting to getting off blocks,tackling correctly, and covering receivers..

Boy u nailed that right on the head :D

soonerboy_odanorth
10/25/2010, 04:04 PM
Play a nickel defense against a 5 wide set when your 4 are getting no pressure?????? It is the X's and O's along with the Johnies and the Joes. You've got to put your team in the best position to have success. Sitting back in the base nickel is not the way to do it. We let them hang around with offensive mistakes and our inability to move the chains and that exposed the D. They couldn't stop my grandma in the 4th quarter. They were only on the field 12 minutes and 52 seconds in the 4 th quarter.

Actually a cover 3 as Stoops said we were running is the right call because it allows your rover to cover the middle drag or shallow post or even wheel routes underneath. You're still open to a slant because of the quick hit, but a good DE will bat those down when he figures it out (as Beal did) and/or your WLB will start sniffing it out based on formation/motion/tells.

It wasn't the passing that was killing us, IMO. It was the runs. Then the passes were effective because our secondary quit trusting that our line was going to do their part, so they were getting sucked out of position trying to put a cork in the leaky dyke.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 04:06 PM
ewww..leaky dykes

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 04:28 PM
1. linebacker talent - i went through the tape 2x and counted 1 covered tackle (meaning blocker on the linebacker and he got off the blocker and made the tackle) by wort. geez, there is a reason they call it the oklahoma drill

2. natural blitzer -> we haz none. the ability to disguise a blitz isn't something that is taught and guys who can do it are 10x as effective as ones who don't. think ontei jones, brandon shelby, calmus, etc and how they always came free.

3. tackling quarterbacks when you have the sack. 6 games later we still can't bring them down. i wonder if those blue jersey's have anything to do with this problem ;)

4. DEs -> yes they were holding, but its been happening for the last decade and those guys still got sacks. there was way too much push to hold and then retreat and try to knock down the pass. outside of stacey mcgee and ronnell lewis we are lacking brute force guys on the DL. lots of finesse guys.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 04:41 PM
Actually a cover 3 as Stoops said we were running is the right call because it allows your rover to cover the middle drag or shallow post or even wheel routes underneath. You're still open to a slant because of the quick hit, but a good DE will bat those down when he figures it out (as Beal did) and/or your WLB will start sniffing it out based on formation/motion/tells.

It wasn't the passing that was killing us, IMO. It was the runs. Then the passes were effective because our secondary quit trusting that our line was going to do their part, so they were getting sucked out of position trying to put a cork in the leaky dyke.

I call Bull Sh1t. If I am making multi-millions of bucks I am gonna BS the masses so they will nod their head and pay their tithe. Play a DIME bring the backer so you have 5 on 5 if you can't get pressure with 4. Cheat up the safeties to support the run, you still have 6 in the back. They refuse to let their CB's play man. You can bring a corner tight on the inside against a 5 WR set that serves the same purpose as the end obstructing a freaking passing lane. The combination run and pass killed us, they through it for a little more than 300. QB sat back, smoked a cigar, took a ****, read a magazine and then threw the ball.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 04:44 PM
ewww..leaky dykes

Could be good or bad. ;)

EnragedOUfan
10/25/2010, 04:59 PM
I call Bull Sh1t. If I am making multi-millions of bucks I am gonna BS the masses so they will nod their head and pay their tithe. Play a DIME bring the backer so you have 5 on 5 if you can't get pressure with 4. Cheat up the safeties to support the run, you still have 6 in the back. They refuse to let their CB's play man. You can bring a corner tight on the inside against a 5 WR set that serves the same purpose as the end obstructing a freaking passing lane. The combination run and pass killed us, they through it for a little more than 300. QB sat back, smoked a cigar, took a ****, read a magazine and then threw the ball.

You nailed it dead on..........Not to mention, against Mizzou and in my opinion, the Corners should've been lined up no more than 4 yards from the line of scrimmage, not 8-10 yards. I really have no idea why we allowed them to have that much space.

Sooner J
10/25/2010, 05:35 PM
People,

The score was 36 - 27. That's a 9 point loss on the road to team who probably had this game marked as the second or biggest game on it's schedule. That's a 9 point loss to team who gets a touchdown on the opening kickoff, has the other team miss a FG, and is also given the ball in pretty good territory twice, after two turnonvers. That's a 9 point loss by a team filled with fresh & sophs playing key roles in a nationwide game on a saturday night. It's O-freaking-K! Do any of you honestly believe OU looses this game outside of Mizz or if OU doesn't make the mistakes? Hell no! Mizz has a decent QB and a pretty good O-line and for the most part OU, did a pretty good job stopping them all things considered.

BoulderSooner79
10/25/2010, 05:35 PM
ewww..leaky dykes

and no natural way to plug them. :eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 05:37 PM
You nailed it dead on..........Not to mention, against Mizzou and in my opinion, the Corners should've been lined up no more than 4 yards from the line of scrimmage, not 8-10 yards. I really have no idea why we allowed them to have that much space.

wtf? the short crap went for no gain/loss all night. it was the intermediate to deep crap behind the linebackers that killed us. if i were to guess, i'd say they gained less than 10% of their total positive yards on the edge. almost everything was right up the chute.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 05:39 PM

they tried going to dime and blitzing in the 2nd half. the problem was mizzou flawlessly picked up the blitz all night (except for the one by corey wilson and one by wort).

we went away from it when we lost corey nelson and quinton carter. sometimes you are dealt a bad hand and there isn't anything you can do about it.

toast
10/25/2010, 05:48 PM
wtf? the short crap went for no gain/loss all night. it was the intermediate to deep crap behind the linebackers that killed us. if i were to guess, i'd say they gained less than 10% of their total positive yards on the edge. almost everything was right up the chute.

Exactly, they were like 14-17 for around 300 yds (I think) on the night over the middle.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 05:57 PM
they tried going to dime and blitzing in the 2nd half. the problem was mizzou flawlessly picked up the blitz all night (except for the one by corey wilson and one by wort).

we went away from it when we lost corey nelson and quinton carter. sometimes you are dealt a bad hand and there isn't anything you can do about it.

They did blitz several times in the second half. They looked gassed, like bugs on a windshield. Obviously our defense is weak (80th). I would like to see the offense stay on the field a little longer against decent teams. Too many mistakes all the way around from players to coaches to win the game.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 06:46 PM
They did blitz several times in the second half. They looked gassed, like bugs on a windshield. Obviously our defense is weak (80th). I would like to see the offense stay on the field a little longer against decent teams. Too many mistakes all the way around from players to coaches to win the game.

yeah, our QB does not do our defense ANY favors. its like clockwork that he will go 3 and out after 2 situations -> we take the lead and then hold their O or the opponent scores. you can't expect to have your D fight a team with momentum and win with any kind of regularity.

Chiliman
10/25/2010, 06:49 PM
In '08 we faced the same offense in Tex tech. We played our base 4-3 and never played nickel, albeit Clayton was one of the backers. T Lewis and Austin Box never left the field and had to cover WRs lined up in the slot, as well as the middle of the field. What the final score of that *** whuppin'?

Players have to execute. If they don't, find some who will.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2010, 06:53 PM
yeah, our QB does not do our defense ANY favors. its like clockwork that he will go 3 and out after 2 situations -> we take the lead and then hold their O or the opponent scores. you can't expect to have your D fight a team with momentum and win with any kind of regularity.

Our QB is one of the worst in the country in the 4th quarter; there's a story in today's Tulsa World that gives all the pertinent stats and it was quite shocking just how bad he is in the 4th quarter

stoopified
10/25/2010, 07:02 PM
BV is a good coach,has good coaches working with him and Bob is hands on involved as well so I am certain that OUr D will be better as we go. I trust OUr staff to do their jobs.My qualifications as reserve hs LB over 30 years ago don't allow me to explain or critque the staff or scheme.

Rickety_Syd
10/25/2010, 07:24 PM
I watched the Mizzou game again last night and I have no confidence in this defense.
It has nothing to do with schemes or personel. Venables and Stoops know defense better than all of us and I thinik the right people are playing. But this group just isn't a championship-level defense.

The very best offenses we'll face are on the second half of the schedule, starting with Missouri. We failed the first test. A&M, Tech, OSU and even Baylor have offenses and playmakers that can (will?) shred this defense. I'm convinced that for us to win, it will simply be a matter of the offense putting up insane numbers and simply out outscoring the opposition in shootout type situations.

ashley
10/25/2010, 07:28 PM

I think our D staff does a good job. With that said, you cannot play zone against 4 wide on one side. There are too many holes in the zone. You have to play man with a free or 2 deep with man under.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 07:50 PM
Our QB is one of the worst in the country in the 4th quarter; there's a story in today's Tulsa World that gives all the pertinent stats and it was quite shocking just how bad he is in the 4th quarter

the 4th quarter is just a microcosm of it though.

think about mizzou

they have a big kickoff return -> 3 and out (they then fumble the punt and we go in and score)
we take the lead 21-20 and hold them -> 3 and out
they take the lead 26-21 -> 3 and out (next possession INT)

prrriiide
10/25/2010, 09:18 PM
One thing that is making it look complicated is we don't have that Middle Linebacker like we have had with Lofton, Marshall, and the others we have had in the middle.

I guess it's a coincidence that the middle is where we've been getting pantsed all season.

Friscokid
10/25/2010, 09:25 PM

If these corners have the same freedom to play like they did 3 years ago, they have the option to play tight or 8-10 yards off. It is frustrating seeing them playing so far off and letting the receivers having a free release to do whatever they want. Our db's do not look to intercep, they do not attack the ball, they sit back and try to keep everything in front of them.

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 09:42 PM
the 4th quarter is just a microcosm of it though.

think about mizzou

they have a big kickoff return -> 3 and out (they then fumble the punt and we go in and score)
we take the lead 21-20 and hold them -> 3 and out
they take the lead 26-21 -> 3 and out (next possession INT)

I believe they call that the pucker factor. :eek:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/25/2010, 11:08 PM
I believe they call that the pucker factor. :eek:

i try to give him leeway because he's a sophomore. that is something that a QB has to learn. my problem is that if he doesn't start to fix this issue soon, this team isn't going to make a run this year or next.

Cornfed
10/25/2010, 11:11 PM
Mizzou had about 80 yards rushing , then the 4th quarter came along, they ended the game with 178.

GottaHavePride
10/25/2010, 11:26 PM
When I saw this thread title I thought "I really hope jkm posted in this one".

TXBOOMER
10/25/2010, 11:46 PM
i try to give him leeway because he's a sophomore. that is something that a QB has to learn. my problem is that if he doesn't start to fix this issue soon, this team isn't going to make a run this year or next.

I couldn't agree more. Our defense and kicking game are going to have to fix their issues to make a serious run at a NC by next year.

Okie35
10/26/2010, 01:03 AM
If these corners have the same freedom to play like they did 3 years ago, they have the option to play tight or 8-10 yards off. It is frustrating seeing them playing so far off and letting the receivers having a free release to do whatever they want. Our db's do not look to intercep, they do not attack the ball, they sit back and try to keep everything in front of them.

They just looked confused. It will be fixed if we play them again.

Kind of hard to loosen up your QB when you abandon the run game when its working. Running opens up the pass.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/26/2010, 11:08 AM
When I saw this thread title I thought "I really hope jkm posted in this one".

i didn't say what i wanted to say, but 4 days later i still feel that 95% of mizzou's success was picking on travis lewis. and unfortunately, i don't feel like it was scheme or talent or positioning but effort. pure 100% lack of effort.

Okie35
10/26/2010, 11:22 AM
i didn't say what i wanted to say, but 4 days later i still feel that 95% of mizzou's success was picking on travis lewis. and unfortunately, i don't feel like it was scheme or talent or positioning but effort. pure 100% lack of effort.

It was scheme you don't play man w/ a LB on one their fastest receivers. You It's a mismatch. I'd throw it there all game too. Hell even a QB w/ a football IQ of 5 will know to go there every time. That's why he had like 9 catches for 139 yards or something like that.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/26/2010, 11:33 AM
It was scheme you don't play man w/ a LB on one their fastest receivers. You It's a mismatch. I'd throw it there all game too. Hell even a QB w/ a football IQ of 5 will know to go there every time. That's why he had like 9 catches for 139 yards or something like that.

you mean on the option route? the one where he absolutely has to force the WR to the OUTSIDE? the one where he continually tried to jump the outside route allowing the inside release?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2010, 11:35 AM
The double moves were eating him up...Its an angle and position issue, not a foot speed issue

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 11:38 AM
Has this thread changed the outcome yet?

I sure hope it does. Losing sucks.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/26/2010, 11:39 AM
not yet...we just missed another FG

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 11:41 AM
F**K ! ! !

Okie35
10/26/2010, 12:10 PM
you mean on the option route? the one where he absolutely has to force the WR to the OUTSIDE? the one where he continually tried to jump the outside route allowing the inside release?

Nope looked like plain man that T-Lew was in. They even showed replays when he got a double move put on him. Its kind of hard to for a linebacker to stay w/ an agile receiver like that. The receiver could've been running an option route but at the same time he shouldn't be on the receiver in the first place. It is harder to stay on him w/o any pressure on the QB so I don't think it was all his fault. It was a team effort for sure.

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 12:21 PM
THAT GUY WAS A SLOW TE

Okie35
10/26/2010, 12:30 PM
THAT GUY WAS A SLOW TE

Jerrell Jackson isn't a TE.

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 12:35 PM
ewww..leaky dykes

:D

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 12:43 PM
Jerrell Jackson isn't a TE.

He was sure slow like one. I hadn't realized he was so small.

Dude nearly tripled his best game against us. Travis and Wort should be ashamed.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/26/2010, 01:30 PM
Nope looked like plain man that T-Lew was in. They even showed replays when he got a double move put on him. Its kind of hard to for a linebacker to stay w/ an agile receiver like that. The receiver could've been running an option route but at the same time he shouldn't be on the receiver in the first place. It is harder to stay on him w/o any pressure on the QB so I don't think it was all his fault. It was a team effort for sure.

holy crap, wes welker couldn't get open running that same route (the option route) against rocky calmus. you can't tell me rocky was faster than lewis. the linebacker's responsibility on that route is simple -> stonewall the inside option and force them outside into the teeth of the zone. if you let them have the middle its a 20-30 yard gain.

it is called an option route because you read the linebacker as to which way you take it -> if the linebacker goes outside, you go inside on the drag. if the linebacker stays in, you go outside on the out. we've had that same route ran against us 50 times a game by mike leach for the last 10 years. if you keep discipline its a 8 yard gain max.

NormanPride
10/26/2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah it doesn't matter what kind of coverage you're running. You can't let him get inside you when you're the only one on the inside defending.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/26/2010, 06:53 PM
i love youtube

option route NSFSP (not safe for sane people)

3hkuOi2rj2c

welker running the option route

cAaJoL3YPFg

:46 mark, that is them using it and us being pulled out of position (proctor) to defend the wide side. wort does everything right and keeps them on the sideline. proctor allows a seam pass for a big gain though. interesting thing is it took under 2 seconds to unload this sucker so by then he knew who was consistently blowing coverage.

_5r19o_N0WE

i'll try to find some highlights of them killing lewis with it

NormanPride
10/27/2010, 02:31 PM
There's a reason Proctor doesn't start. :(

Okie35
10/27/2010, 02:40 PM
holy crap, wes welker couldn't get open running that same route (the option route) against rocky calmus. you can't tell me rocky was faster than lewis. the linebacker's responsibility on that route is simple -> stonewall the inside option and force them outside into the teeth of the zone. if you let them have the middle its a 20-30 yard gain.

it is called an option route because you read the linebacker as to which way you take it -> if the linebacker goes outside, you go inside on the drag. if the linebacker stays in, you go outside on the out. we've had that same route ran against us 50 times a game by mike leach for the last 10 years. if you keep discipline its a 8 yard gain max.

Oh I know what an option route is. I don't want it to have any yards gained though :D. I think Hurst pretty much said it best the defense was confused w/ their coverage responsibilities and poor tackling. They looked confused half of the time.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 02:41 PM
There's a reason Proctor doesn't start. :(

Yea, the Miami game last year I wanted to go through my screen and strangle Proctor. That broken coverage by him caused that long TD pass.

SoonerNate
10/27/2010, 02:48 PM
Venables makes me question Stoops' sanity. Doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

We will never win another national title as long as he is our dc.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 03:00 PM
Venables makes me question Stoops' sanity. Doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result.

I think we could.

Sooner Brewcrew
10/27/2010, 03:09 PM
Not sure that it is that complicated but he sure does insist on LB's covering slots and that is usually a mismatch.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 03:20 PM
Not sure that it is that complicated but he sure does insist on LB's covering slots and that is usually a mismatch.

Yup

tator
10/27/2010, 03:34 PM

Absolute statements are fun

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
10/27/2010, 06:39 PM

this isn't technically true. he isn't asking a linebacker to cover a slot, he's asking a linebacker to cover the middle of the field. the fact that they are putting a slot receiver or a tight end in there is moot.

as for the man argument, i don't think we could run a ton of man if we wanted too at this point. we are having problems against the run game with a zone, how is it going to be when they are able to run off defenders?

tulsaoilerfan
10/27/2010, 07:34 PM

My problem with that is he's started 17 games already and he still hasn't shown the ability to get it done when behind in the 4th quarter; it's not like he's in his first year as a starter

tulsaoilerfan
10/27/2010, 07:36 PM
not yet...we just missed another FG

And Rashaun Woods is still open :D

Intown
10/27/2010, 10:21 PM
if he could come up with a stop on 3rd and 15+ against a decent offense I would recommend him for a HC job.

Intown
10/27/2010, 10:23 PM
I admire Stoop's loyalty. I wish he was more committed to OU than he is to his assistants. For 3MM per year he could fire someone or get them a HC job at a JC.

Okie35
10/27/2010, 10:24 PM
this isn't technically true. he isn't asking a linebacker to cover a slot, he's asking a linebacker to cover the middle of the field. the fact that they are putting a slot receiver or a tight end in there is moot.

as for the man argument, i don't think we could run a ton of man if we wanted too at this point. we are having problems against the run game with a zone, how is it going to be when they are able to run off defenders?

Nope, we can't run man at all if we don't get any pressure from the line.

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 10:26 PM
And Rashaun Woods is still open :D

That wouldnt have been on Venables.

That was on Mike Stoops Defenese in 2002.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/27/2010, 10:27 PM
Not possible...Mike Stoops defenses never have/had bad games..They dominated every game they ever played and he should be the next HC, OC, and DC at OU

OU_Sooners75
10/27/2010, 10:41 PM
Not possible...Mike Stoops defenses never have/had bad games..They dominated every game they ever played and he should be the next HC, OC, and DC at OU

Especially against Kansas State in 2003. :eek:

Intown
10/27/2010, 10:53 PM
I would take our team a little bit more serious if they put together a top 50 defense.

BoulderSooner79
10/28/2010, 12:22 AM
I'd take our team a little bit more serious if I could put down the weed for a minute.

Okie35
10/28/2010, 12:26 AM
I would take our team a little bit more serious if they put together a top 50 defense.

Crazy how things can change in a year :mad:.

TXBOOMER
10/28/2010, 01:12 AM
Nope, we can't run man at all if we don't get any pressure from the line.

If we mixed in man coverage some of the time and brought 5 or 6 pass rushers,we might fluster their QB into forcing a bad throw and make a pick. It could not have been any worse than giving him all day to throw it.

Scott D
10/28/2010, 01:28 AM
Crazy how things can change in a year :mad:.

seriously though right. I mean who'd expect when more than half the defense are first time starters that there'd be breakdowns.

Crucifax Autumn
10/28/2010, 01:31 AM
Especially against Kansas State in 2003. :eek:

I look at that as the first game without Mike. While he WAS on the sideline, it's obvious he was pretty concerned about his new job.

Scott D
10/28/2010, 01:34 AM
srsly, recruiting Antoine Cason > properly game planning for Darren Sproles.