PDA

View Full Version : My election ballot is mailed

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 08:41 AM
I’m taking a contrarian position of several of the choices.

1. My vote for Governor goes to Meg Whitman. I fully expect Jerry Brown to win since Meg wasted 120 million dollars on a sub-par campaign. I also think Brown will make a more effective governor. The #1 issue is getting control of the unsustainable sweet salary and pension deals public employees have. Meg would be an impotent Jimmy Carter-style governor who would be run over by the legislature. On the “Nixon-to-China” theory, I believe Brown has a better shot of dealing with the public employee unions. So why did I vote for Meg? Mandate-style landslides are counterproductive. I don’t want Brown winning by a large margin.

2. My vote for US Senator goes to Carly Fiorina. I fully expect Boxer to win. Boxer has the most effective negative ads imaginable. Makes Carly look like to most evil CEO in history, treating employees like dogsh!t. I expect the Democrats to retain a very narrow control of the senate. The pubs blew any chance of Senate control when they nominated that witch in Delaware.

I wouldn’t be disappointed, however, if either Fiorina or Whitman actually win since I probably agree with them on the majority of economic issues and I don’t think their hearts are really into fighting on the cultural conservative side of the social issues.

3. I voted against making California a sanctuary state for potheads. I don’t object to adults smoking pot in the privacy of their own home. But the proposition failed to fully protect employers’ rights to drug test for pot usage of employees. Also, the proposition fails to implement a Singapore-style execution for giving pot to minors.

4. I voted for the somewhat moderate Democratic candidate for U.S representative. I fully expect the Republicans to take control of the house in a big way – gaining 50 or more seats. And I think this will be healthy. My vote is one against too large of a mandate.

5. I voted for Gavin Newsom – my token liberal vote – for lt. gov. Dyslexics need representation too. Besides, he was named America's most social mayor. What else matters for lt. gov other than being social?

6. Maybe the most important vote: to change the 2/3 vote to simple majority for legislature to approve a state budget and their pay is suspended if they don’t approve one on time. I voted yes. I hope the law of unintended consequences doesn’t bite my a$$ on this one.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2010, 08:53 AM
Good for you. Thanks for voting. You and me can now complain. I voted last Wednesday.

I voted for traffic red light cameras (safety) and against the unknown $ amount tax to fund a "dedicated" road and drainage fix up fund and against the rule to allow people to live in districts 6 months instead of the 12 months currently required. These are local Houston propositions.

badger
10/25/2010, 09:05 AM
Not gonna vote till election day... but good for voting, guys :) Have you affixed the "I voted" sticker to your name tag or whatever is visible (forehead?) yet? :D

virginiasooner
10/25/2010, 09:35 AM
120 million? try 150 million. And by the time election day rolls around, it wouldn't surprise me if Whitman spends nearly 200 million. I hope she spends it all. And yes, Carly Fiorina was the most evil CEO out there. Didn't she bug the phones of members of the board of directors of HP to find out who was badmouthing her to the press?

olevetonahill
10/25/2010, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=SanJoaquinSooner;3008657]I’m taking a contrarian position of several of the choices.

3. I voted against making California a sanctuary state for potheads. I don’t object to adults smoking pot in the privacy of their own home. But the proposition failed to fully protect employers’ rights to drug test for pot usage of employees. Also, the proposition fails to implement a Singapore-style execution for giving pot to minors.

jaun ya dont make no sense, Ya dont want Cal. Having the Dopers , But ya want em to Let all the Illegals in . WTF?:confused:

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 11:24 AM
[QUOTE=SanJoaquinSooner;3008657]I’m taking a contrarian position of several of the choices.

jaun ya dont make no sense, Ya dont want Cal. Having the Dopers , But ya want em to Let all the Illegals in . WTF?:confused:

It's consistent with respect to the rights of employers. I believe employers should have to right to hire and fire who they want.....If they don't want Spicoli because he's a potsmoker or they do want to hire Gustavo because, in their opinion, he is the most qualified. I don't want California to pass laws making it a santuary state for aliens illegally present. I want the federal government to reform worker and tourist visas laws to make them more accommodating - so that Gustavo is legal - similar to how we accommodate Canadians.

The
10/25/2010, 11:29 AM
[quote=olevetonahill;3008845]

It's consistent with respect to the rights of employers. I believe employers should have to right to hire and fire who they want.....If they don't want Spicoli because he's a potsmoker or they do want to hire Gustavo because, in their opinion, he is the most qualified. I don't want California to pass laws making it a santuary state for aliens illegally present. I want the federal government to reform worker and tourist visas laws to make them more accommodating - so that Gustavo is legal - similar to how we accommodate Canadians.

If you can't tell if someone is high on your own, you've got bigger problems.

/THC stays in the system for weeks, long, long after the high goes away. Employers that care what employees do on the weekends are slavers and should be avoided.

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2010, 11:49 AM
Seems to me that if someone is pro-migrant farm worker, they ought to want another agricultural industry booming in California.

olevetonahill
10/25/2010, 11:52 AM
Seems to me that if someone is pro-migrant farm worker, they ought to want another agricultural industry booming in California.

He wants to keep the Pot illegal so the Illegals can have somepun to do :D

soonerscuba
10/25/2010, 12:09 PM
red light cameras (safety)http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/2420766

Serge Ibaka
10/25/2010, 02:20 PM
The worst part about the California pot-legislation is that it's a pro-corporate piece of trash. Who wrote it..the devil?

It just doesn't make sense, and it's apparent that it's restricted entirely in a way that helps A: the rich and B: the state.

Still, the pot-heads' hands are tied. They need legalization even if it's set within a restrictive and backwards model, and this might be their only chance. I wonder if there are any pro-pot Californians who vote no based upon the proposition's wording.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 06:51 PM
[quote=SanJoaquinSooner;3008928]

If you can't tell if someone is high on your own, you've got bigger problems.

The law does allow one to fire an employee if they come to work high. As a former school teacher I know suspecting that someone is high and knowing it are two distinct things when it comes to confrontation. I also know some teachers and some students who were able to hide their highness quite well.

/THC stays in the system for weeks, long, long after the high goes away. Employers that care what employees do on the weekends are slavers and should be avoided.

Lots of employers are d1cks, but that should be legally ok, the ones risking their own money should have the right to decide if they want employees who get high - weekends or not. And i'm totally for full disclosure: announce in the job posting that drug testing is required.

One can always choose not to work for a d1ck, maybe instead attending Ricky Williams' graduate school alma mater, California College of Ayurveda, and then becoming a yoga instructor.

Currently, the violation for minor possession is like a parking violation in California -- not a criminal offense. That is the way I think it should stay.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 06:56 PM
Good for you. Thanks for voting. You and me can now complain. I voted last Wednesday.

I voted for traffic red light cameras (safety) and against the unknown $ amount tax to fund a "dedicated" road and drainage fix up fund and against the rule to allow people to live in districts 6 months instead of the 12 months currently required. These are local Houston propositions.

My young sister-in-law got nailed for that recently - following the guy in front of her into the intersection after the light turned red.... a cool $522 fine. Mucho dinero.

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 07:08 PM

He wants to keep the Pot illegal so the Illegals can have somepun to do :D

Does it pay as well as Meg Whitman pays?

SanJoaquinSooner
10/25/2010, 07:21 PM
120 million? try 150 million. And by the time election day rolls around, it wouldn't surprise me if Whitman spends nearly 200 million. I hope she spends it all. And yes, Carly Fiorina was the most evil CEO out there. Didn't she bug the phones of members of the board of directors of HP to find out who was badmouthing her to the press?

The more Whitman spends the farther she falls behind. And she didn't get much traction from Jerry Brown's assistant who got nailed calling her a whore.

And fire your hairdresser, Carly.
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/139908/thumbs/s-CARLY-FIORINA-CALIFORNIA-BANKRUPTCY-large.jpg

You too, Meg. Allah H. Almighty.
http://venturebeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/meg-whitman.jpg