landrun
10/24/2010, 09:34 PM
Look at OU's defensive stats...

Rush Defense: 59 out of 120
Pass Defense: 91 out of 120
Red Zone Defense: 116 out of 120
Total Defense: 80 out of 120

We have a top 20 total offense.

I'm not sure what, but something is broke.
All I know is I'm tired of seeing no pressure on the QB and passes being completed across the middle.

And the worst... the WORST ... is giving up 3rd and long over and over again.

OKC-SLC
10/24/2010, 09:51 PM
That's humiliating. Pathetic, really.

jkjsooner
10/24/2010, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't give our offense a free pass. We put up a lot of yards and points but we're way too streaky. They become ineffective for long stretches.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2010, 10:04 PM
All I know is I'm tired of seeing passes being completed across the middle.

Man, you must have been tired for a few years now. Cover 2 zone baby. If they catch in the middle, we can just try and strip the ball or make a big hit. When we remove the zone blitz from the playbook and refuse to play anything except 5 DB (no matter if we are playing the flex bone or 5 wide), it really works well.:mad:

MelloYello
10/24/2010, 10:08 PM
:(

rainiersooner
10/24/2010, 10:19 PM
Who did we lose from last year's great defense really? McCoy, Franks, Jackson, Reynolds, and Clayton. McCoy has been a huge absence and the tackles haven't got it done in his absence. I think for the whole part this year's corners have done a good job at replacing Franks and Jackson. Reynolds was injured....

Was McCoy that disruptive that the whole defense has lost a step? I doubt it. I'm at a loss for why we've been so bad.

Cornfed
10/24/2010, 10:21 PM
Was McCoy that disruptive that the whole defense has lost a step? I doubt it. I'm at a loss for why we've been so bad.

McCoy demanded a double team in every situation. Would have helped last night.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 10:22 PM
Man, you must have been tired for a few years now. Cover 2 zone baby. If they catch in the middle, we can just try and strip the ball or make a big hit. When we remove the zone blitz from the playbook and refuse to play anything except 5 DB (no matter if we are playing the flex bone or 5 wide), it really works well.:mad:

You've been successful at which Div IA School?

TrophyCollector
10/24/2010, 10:26 PM
You've been successful at which Div IA School?

Sorry Mr. Muschamp, I wasn't aware this thread was for d-coordinators only.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 10:28 PM
Look at OU's defensive stats...

Rush Defense: 59 out of 120
Pass Defense: 91 out of 120
Red Zone Defense: 116 out of 120
Total Defense: 80 out of 120

We have a top 20 total offense.

I'm not sure what, but something is broke.
All I know is I'm tired of seeing no pressure on the QB and passes being completed across the middle.

And the worst... the WORST ... is giving up 3rd and long over and over again.

Take a quick look at the depth chart and then think about all the injuries we have and have had. Look at how young we are. A lot of mistakes aren't helping either.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

I know that's not much of an answer but it's possiblity why we were pulling our hair out when the D spent 38:26 minutes of play on the field last night. Add that the tiggers are a pretty good offense and they were at Home and you should see why we fell apart late in the game.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 10:33 PM
Sorry Mr. Muschamp, I wasn't aware this thread was for d-coordinators only.

Just saying. I know you might not like Venables but we have won a bunch of games over the years and yeah we've been streaky. I hated it when Brandon Everage used to go for a knockout blow instead of wrapping guys up when he was here. We saw a few of those last night. Losing Carter was huge. We're banged up and guys like you want to change the Defense in the middle of the year and continue to think it's gonna change. It's kind of sick that you even continue to watch the Team play.

soonercastor
10/24/2010, 10:52 PM
the one that jumps out to me is RED ZONE defense stats.

CrimsonJim
10/24/2010, 10:57 PM
Haven't you guys been reading all the other posts? It's the offense's fault that the defense isn't making plays. Pay tention!! ;)

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:50 PM
As bad as the defense is we still were in the game. At times the defense looks like its great. Other times the defense looks confused. I can't count how many times ppl were out of position last night. A couple of times they had to run to other sides because T-Lewis or Carter would hell at certain DBs. Ah well. The game is over. I want to just stop talking about it but it doesn't help when threads like this pop up.

Sooner_Tuf
10/24/2010, 11:58 PM
That red zone figure doesn't seem accurate. We hold an awful lot of teams to field goals instead of TDs.

Okie35
10/24/2010, 11:59 PM
That red zone figure doesn't seem accurate. We hold an awful lot of teams to field goals instead of TDs.

Didn't we do that like 3 times last night?

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 12:01 AM
im pretty sure the red zone stat doesnt separate TDs and FGs

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 12:07 AM
yeah OU has been scored on in 18 out of 19 opponent trips to the redzone...9 of those 18 have been TDs

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 12:11 AM
So half the time the opponent gets a TD and half the defense has kept them out of the EZ?

agoo758
10/25/2010, 12:14 AM
yeah OU has been scored on in 18 out of 19 opponent trips to the redzone...9 of those 18 have been TDs

If you hold a team to fields goals half of the time they get in the redzone. I would say that is pretty good.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 12:18 AM
Keeping them out of the red zone would be better and if Bob could find a good HS Coach to be our New D-Coordinator we could hold all our opponents to 3 and out eveytime they touch the ball.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 12:22 AM
im pretty sure the red zone stat doesnt separate TDs and FGs

They don't.

stoops the eternal pimp
10/25/2010, 12:34 AM
Its a skewed stat(like a lot of them ala QB rating)....if team 1's D gives up 35 trips to the red zone, and the other team scores on 30 of them and OU gives up 19 redzone trips and 18 scores, the other team will be rated higher...

yankee
10/25/2010, 12:58 AM
Take a quick look at the depth chart and then think about all the injuries we have and have had. Look at how young we are. A lot of mistakes aren't helping either.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/football-depth-chart.html

I know that's not much of an answer but it's possiblity why we were pulling our hair out when the D spent 38:26 minutes of play on the field last night. Add that the tiggers are a pretty good offense and they were at Home and you should see why we fell apart late in the game.

the injuries excuse doesn't fly this year...we're not any worse off than any other team in the nation at this point in the season. the youth however, that is valid.

TheHumanAlphabet
10/25/2010, 08:49 AM
Very dissapointed in the D game plan. Never blitzed and never got Gabbard rattled. No wonder he smoked us. Terrible game plan, all on Venables shoulder's.

SoonerMarkVA
10/25/2010, 08:51 AM
I said in another thread: 27 should be enough to win just about any game, and certainly a conference game against Mizzou. This D has some glaring deficiencies.

Sooners78
10/25/2010, 08:59 AM
Who did we lose from last year's great defense really? McCoy, Franks, Jackson, Reynolds, and Clayton. McCoy has been a huge absence and the tackles haven't got it done in his absence. I think for the whole part this year's corners have done a good job at replacing Franks and Jackson. Reynolds was injured....

Actually, yes. A dominant DT can have huge effects on the entire defense. Stuffing the run and getting pressure on the QB takes a lot of pressure off of the secondary. All great defenses have a dominant DL.

Sooners78
10/25/2010, 09:04 AM
I said in another thread: 27 should be enough to win just about any game, and certainly a conference game against Mizzou. This D has some glaring deficiencies.

This. We had the lead late in the 3rd, and then scored another TD. That should be enough offense to win a big game.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 09:05 AM
I saw an interview with McGee and he mentioned that he really was still learning to play to the point that he could play at the level of past DTs that have been at OU...so I think the D-Line isn't convinced that they are as great as the line-ups we've had in the past at OU. Hopefully they'll turn that around this year and really start to shine.

SoonerWarMachine#1
10/25/2010, 09:21 AM
Actually, yes. A dominant DT can have huge effects on the entire defense. Stuffing the run and getting pressure on the QB takes a lot of pressure off of the secondary. All great defenses have a dominant DL.

Agreed, the lack of pressure has been a killer all year and when they continue to run out a gimped up DT, A Taylor, that can barely walk much less run how do we expect to get any pressure

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2010, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I don't understand why they are playing Taylor when he can barely walk. Seems like we'd have someone with 2 working legs.

Landthief 1972
10/25/2010, 09:42 AM
It seems to me we sold out to stop the bubble screens and deep routes, hoping that the line could get pressure on the QB to slow down the routes over the middle. I'm no expert, but I thought the nickel package wasn't the best choice when the offense is putting 4 and 5 receivers on the field. Would it have been too difficult in one week to work on a dime package?

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 09:50 AM
You do have to be proud of the defense for thier redzone defense. Once the other team gets there, we are normally pretty good at forcing field goals. But it's just strange to me that we seem to always let them march down the field, get into the redzone, and we can put up a stop there. Why didn't we stop them 30 yards back so they couldn't get a field goal? It just drives me nuts how many times has it been 3 and 15 this season and they pick up the first. It's to the point where I would rather it be 3rd and 5ish than 3rd and long. We seem to have better success on those...

Okie35
10/25/2010, 10:00 AM
You do have to be proud of the defense for thier redzone defense. Once the other team gets there, we are normally pretty good at forcing field goals. But it's just strange to me that we seem to always let them march down the field, get into the redzone, and we can put up a stop there. Why didn't we stop them 30 yards back so they couldn't get a field goal? It just drives me nuts how many times has it been 3 and 15 this season and they pick up the first. It's to the point where I would rather it be 3rd and 5ish than 3rd and long. We seem to have better success on those...

When teams run a spread its easier to stop them on a shorter field.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 10:07 AM

We also had Mizzou at 4th and one at around 4 minutes left after we got screwed on the on-sides kick and we let them get that. Had we had that FG we missed earlier and stopped Mizzou at this point...we could have won this game. So many things went wrong in this game...there's no way you can blame this loss on the offense ot the Defense IMO...this was a Team loss IMHO. I'd like another shot at Mizzou in Dallas. Hope it works out.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 10:11 AM
We also had Mizzou at 4th and one at around 4 minutes left after we got screwed on the on-sides kick and we let them get that. Had we had that FG we missed earlier and stopped Mizzou at this point...we could have won this game. So many things went wrong in this game...there's no way you can blame this loss on the offense ot the Defense IMO...this was a Team loss IMHO. I'd like another shot at Mizzou in Dallas. Hope it works out.

They got the on side call right but I agree w/ the team effort. Down the line the loss is on everyone. I know if we had another shot at them the game would be totally different.

mightysooner
10/25/2010, 10:31 AM
The defensive gameplan was horrible. We were relying on rushing four linemen who can't rush the passer and dropping seven into zone (prevent) coverage 15 yards deep while Mizzous WR's just ran 20-25 yard routes behind them while Gabbert lofted the ball over our heads all night long to his wide open WR's streaking through the holes in our zones. Same story year after year. We need to get out of the mindset of dropping into weak zones and guarding patches of grass while watching the QB's eyes as WR's streak by us. That's why we can't defend the pass. We don't guard people, we guard patches of grass. We don't get up in their face and jam them at the line, ever, and disrupt the timing of anyone's plays either. We retreat to patches of grass and stand there watching the QB's eyes. I hate our defensive mentality. I really hate it.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 10:37 AM
The defensive gameplan was horrible. We were relying on rushing four linemen who can't rush the passer and dropping seven into zone (prevent) coverage 15 yards deep while Mizzous WR's just ran 20-25 yard routes behind them while Gabbert lofted the ball over our heads all night long to his wide open WR's streaking through the holes in our zones. Same story year after year. We need to get out of the mindset of dropping into weak zones and guarding patches of grass while watching the QB's eyes as WR's streak by us. That's why we can't defend the pass. We don't guard people, we guard patches of grass. We don't get up in their face and jam them at the line, ever, and disrupt the timing of anyone's plays either. We retreat to patches of grass and stand there watching the QB's eyes.

We didn't really run a true prevent. We blitzed a couple of times and Mizzery picked them up. We ran man a couple of times and T-Lew who had no business on one of their fastest players got burned a few times. Half of the time someone was yelling at someone else to move to another side or get closer to their receivers. It was mess. I agree w/ you about jamming receivers but its tough to do that as well if you get no pressure. You can get burned bad by double moves (even in cover 2 they'll just throw it to drags or slants the whole time). Anyway, they also ran things that we obviously didn't see on film. As I said before they had this game circled and were prepared. I want another shot at them this year the game will be different.

OUmillenium
10/25/2010, 10:53 AM
OK sunshine pumpers and coolaid drinkers who take up for Vulnerables...on the SportsBlitz they said the OU defense forced ZERO 3 and outs for Missouri.

Defend that please

Mjcpr
10/25/2010, 11:00 AM
OK sunshine pumpers and coolaid drinkers who take up for Vulnerables...on the SportsBlitz they said the OU defense forced ZERO 3 and outs for Missouri.

Defend that please

We had the same statistic against Utah State, I believe. Maybe it was Air Force.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 11:05 AM

Defend that please

ZERO three and outs? You sure? Stills was out there returning punts and so was Broyles at one point.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 11:08 AM
ZERO three and outs? You sure? Stills was out there returning punts and so was Broyles at one point.

They punted on third down don't you remember ;)

Okie35
10/25/2010, 11:10 AM
They punted on third down don't you remember ;)

Haha, but really they punted 3/4 times I think. That's still pretty bad.

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2010, 11:14 AM
How does them punting mean we got a three and out? 2 first downs, 3 more plays, and a punt still isn't a 3 and out.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 11:16 AM
How does them punting mean we got a three and out? 2 first downs, 3 more plays, and a punt still isn't a 3 and out.

Ah he meant a straight up 3 and out. :eek: Yea that's bad. BV didn't adjust anything.

jumperstop
10/25/2010, 11:16 AM

I guess you're right. I was just thinking 3rd down conversions.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 11:17 AM
I guess you're right. I was just thinking 3rd down conversions.

Same here.