PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with our defense?

ictsooner7
10/24/2010, 08:28 PM
We gave up 38 points to MISSOURI! We have the worst defense in the Big 12. Two years ago the same thing and it cost us the NC. What is the problem????

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 08:33 PM
They are beat up. Now Carter is possibly out too. A-Train looks sluggish and McGee in his own words isn't the best we've ever had and is working to improve. We're young. Very young on top of pretty beat up. Injuries are making us use our depth and we better start seeing guys step up quick instead of trying to redeem themselves for winning and losing every other snap.

I'm sure some of the other Defensive experts here can tell you even more. I'm sure you''l get a few "Venable Sucks" too as we always get that in a close game or a loss.

Go take a look at our depth chart...not a lot of Seniors there.

LoveDemSooners
10/24/2010, 08:47 PM
I know it is a long ways away, but I am actually kinda scared about playing OSU...

Cornfed
10/24/2010, 08:50 PM
I know it is a long ways away, but I am actually kinda scared about playing OSU...

When OSU gets a defence i may but until then.....

oumartin
10/24/2010, 08:54 PM
the d-coordinator

TXBOOMER
10/24/2010, 08:56 PM
Last night our offense had 8 drives that were 3 or less plays and out. We possessed the ball 21 minutes and 34 seconds. With a young and thin defense we must control the ball more or we will struggle. When we have turnovers, the game will be close or we will lose. We can have all of the flashy great athletes at the skilled positions we want, but until we can take over the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball we will struggle.

MR2-Sooner86
10/24/2010, 08:57 PM
We gave up 38 points to MISSOURI! We have the worst defense in the Big 12. Two years ago the same thing and it cost us the NC. What is the problem????

Yeah...no it didn't. Holding Florida to 7 points in one half and 14 at the end of the 3rd is pretty damn good if you ask me.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 08:58 PM
the d-coordinator

I knew I could count on you for that...LMAO

Cornfed
10/24/2010, 09:00 PM
Bring back Mike!!!!! ;)

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 09:02 PM
Count me in as another that says BV is a good but not great DC.

Was he solely to blame for us losing last night? Surely not, but he is what he is, and that hasn't changed since he's been here.

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 09:03 PM
Bring back Mike!!!!! ;)

Give him 3 million!

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 09:03 PM
Count me in as another that says BV is a good but not great DC.

Was he solely to blame for us losing last night? Surely not, but he is what he is, and that hasn't changed since he's been here.

We sure have won a lot of games.

IronSooner
10/24/2010, 09:04 PM
We can't tackle. That's a huge problem right there. Too many ankle tackles that let them get extra yards. Or just getting run over or run by.

Our DTs are a non-factor. Gaping holes in the middle you could drive a truck through, every week. Hasn't changed since USAFA.

No pass rush - hard to rush a quick-throw offense like Mizzou runs, but we don't get much of a push with our front 4, so we have to either blitz or drop into coverage and hope the QB screws up.

They're on the field too much, going back to TXBOOMER's post.

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 09:05 PM
We sure have won a lot of games.

With the talent we recruit I'd certainly hope so. ;)

landrun
10/24/2010, 09:05 PM
I swear it looked like we were spying Gabbert. And he still ran on us.

First, WHY would we spy this guy?
Second, if you're going to do that, why can't you stop him when he scrambles?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I really though I saw our LB backing out of a rush, not covering anyone, just staring at the QB as though they were spying him.

EnragedOUfan
10/24/2010, 09:06 PM
I knew I could count on you for that...LMAO

Brent Venables and Stoops............Venables because he loves that soft zone defense and Stoops because he allows it to continue. Our DB's were lined up almost 10 yards off the line of scrimmage all night. We basically just wanted their receivers to stay in front of us, whether that meant 15 plus yard catches or not. Granted, the turnovers were huge, but our zone killed us. The absolute best I've seen our secondary defend against the spread was Texas Tech 08 and Tejas 09........

gaylordfan1
10/24/2010, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking Mizzou threw something at us that Coach V didn't expect. To put it as simple as can be put, their 5 wide spread gave us too many position mismatches with their WR's. They ate our LB's up all night.

oumartin
You guys need to get off BV jock. Dude is arful.

ictsooner7
We can't tackle. That's a huge problem right there. Too many ankle tackles that let them get extra yards. Or just getting run over or run by.

Our DTs are a non-factor. Gaping holes in the middle you could drive a truck through, every week. Hasn't changed since USAFA.

No pass rush - hard to rush a quick-throw offense like Mizzou runs, but we don't get much of a push with our front 4, so we have to either blitz or drop into coverage and hope the QB screws up.

Thank you.

proudsoonergal
10/24/2010, 09:10 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I really though I saw our LB backing out of a rush, not covering anyone, just staring at the QB as though they were spying him.

If you're talking about Wort, it may be because he's not so great in covering the pass. ;)

StoopTroup
10/24/2010, 09:11 PM

Good post and nobody got fired...lol

proudsoonergal
10/24/2010, 09:11 PM

Heh. At least we didn't let the big bad Cyclones score on us....unlike another team I can think of. ;)

Whet
10/24/2010, 09:23 PM
I think the lack of d-line pressure on the qb may be a primary issue with the defense. There is no Tommie, Gerald, or Dusty "type" on the team and until someone steps up, or is recruited, we may have similar problems with good teams.

TrophyCollector
10/24/2010, 09:27 PM
We're only 80th in the NCAA. Still ahead of KU, ISU, KSU and Boonies. With a good game this week, we should be able to catch Indiana - possibly even UTEP.

Curly Bill
10/24/2010, 09:29 PM
We're only 80th in the NCAA. Still ahead of KU, ISU, KSU and Boonies. With a good game this week, we should be able to catch Indiana - possibly even UTEP.

:D

proudsoonergal
10/24/2010, 09:31 PM

Let's not get too greedy, shall we?

;)

tooslow
10/24/2010, 09:33 PM

Now that's just plain stupid. I mean, we will definitely catch Indiana, but UTEP? We ain't catching that D. :D

Soonerwake
10/25/2010, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=IronSooner;3008351]Our DTs are a non-factor. Gaping holes in the middle you could drive a truck through, every week. Hasn't changed since USAFA.[QUOTE]

This...

Soonerwake
10/25/2010, 08:12 AM

This...

Sooners78
10/25/2010, 08:32 AM
I think the lack of d-line pressure on the qb may be a primary issue with the defense. There is no Tommie, Gerald, or Dusty "type" on the team and until someone steps up, or is recruited, we may have similar problems with good teams.

This. OUr secondary, as expected, does a good job when the QB doesn't have 5 seconds to find a receiver. Gabbert had time all night. Our ends never could get around the corner.

StoopTroup
10/25/2010, 06:43 PM
If Mizzou is the only loss we have right now and at the end of our season and we win the Big XII South and a BCS Bowl we posture our team for a much better chance at a MNC than this year. We started low in the polls this year with an 8-5 finish last year. This year the only way to post #8 was to win out. For Bob and the Staff to have brought this team through all the games we had played going into Missouri was outstanding. Maybe not pretty but we did it. I hope the last half of our Season has us winning out and playing in a BCS Bowl. It's a heckuvalot better than playing in the Sun Bowl with 5 losses.

Crucifax Autumn
10/25/2010, 06:47 PM
Obviously the problem with our defense is the sheer number of you people that don't have a proper gameday ritual that you follow to the letter to up the mojo.

stoopified
10/25/2010, 06:52 PM
Last night our offense had 8 drives that were 3 or less plays and out. We possessed the ball 21 minutes and 34 seconds. With a young and thin defense we must control the ball more or we will struggle. When we have turnovers, the game will be close or we will lose. We can have all of the flashy great athletes at the skilled positions we want, but until we can take over the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball we will struggle.Very true.As to the D issues themselves ,our biggest issue is at DT.Taylor is our best and he is not 100% physically.McFarland has not yet lived up to the hype(much like DE RJ Washington).Beyond these two we have no experience.Walker,Noble, andMcGee still have a lot to earn.A stout D requires a strong base at the point of attack.

tulsaoilerfan
10/25/2010, 06:58 PM
They are beat up. Now Carter is possibly out too. A-Train looks sluggish and McGee in his own words isn't the best we've ever had and is working to improve. We're young. Very young on top of pretty beat up. Injuries are making us use our depth and we better start seeing guys step up quick instead of trying to redeem themselves for winning and losing every other snap.

I'm sure some of the other Defensive experts here can tell you even more. I'm sure you''l get a few "Venable Sucks" too as we always get that in a close game or a loss.

Go take a look at our depth chart...not a lot of Seniors there.

So whose fault is it that we are being forced to rely so heavily on young players? Did we have that many recruiting misses on the defensive side of the ball?

goingoneight
10/25/2010, 09:52 PM
Brent Venables and Stoops............Venables because he loves that soft zone defense and Stoops because he allows it to continue. Our DB's were lined up almost 10 yards off the line of scrimmage all night. We basically just wanted their receivers to stay in front of us, whether that meant 15 plus yard catches or not. Granted, the turnovers were huge, but our zone killed us. The absolute best I've seen our secondary defend against the spread was Texas Tech 08 and Tejas 09........

I remember a guy named Gerald McCoy having something to say about how well those quarterbacks played us, too.

Oh, and every team "loves" the zone playing a wide-open offense like that. You can't allow a Qb to sit and just pick you apart like that. If we tried to jam every receiver, we'd no doubt at all have been beaten over the top every play with the absolute lack of a pass rush we have right now in the interior. It's not completely on the scheme or the coaches. You look a lot better when those QBs are running for their lives, throwing the ball away or getting hit every other play.

Okie35
10/25/2010, 10:00 PM
I remember a guy named Gerald McCoy having something to say about how well those quarterbacks played us, too.

Oh, and every team "loves" the zone playing a wide-open offense like that. You can't allow a Qb to sit and just pick you apart like that. If we tried to jam every receiver, we'd no doubt at all have been beaten over the top every play with the absolute lack of a pass rush we have right now in the interior. It's not completely on the scheme or the coaches. You look a lot better when those QBs are running for their lives, throwing the ball away or getting hit every other play.

Yup double moves all day. They would've killed us w/ the deep ball if we had no pressure from the d-line or lbs. I think nobody will be complaining anymore after this weekend.

TahoeSOONER
10/25/2010, 11:10 PM
If your sitting in a nickel with two linebackers covering five wide sets with zero pressure from your front four, and no blitzes, then your going to get picked apart with WRs on linebackers.

Empty backfield QB means send wort up the middle or a corner or overload one side and give the QB a good talking to. It will create timing issues and QB on his *** issue for the offense. You may only get there a few times but pressure on a empty backfield is a must.

The defense looked like signals were getting in late and corners were running around lost. I don't care how good your secondary is if they are ripping 15 yard runs up the middle on runs in 4 wr sets. Not to mention we had a wrapping up while tackling issue.

KantoSooner
10/26/2010, 07:36 AM
Obviously the problem with our defense is the sheer number of you people that don't have a proper gameday ritual that you follow to the letter to up the mojo.

Nailed it! My entire family were talking right up to kick-off. Following the game, I left them in no doubt that, if that shiite didn't end right now, the beatings would rain down.

People just don't understand how important a dedicated fan base, sitting in front of their teevees really is.

madillsoonerfan5353
10/26/2010, 07:54 AM
If you're talking about Wort, it may be because he's not so great in covering the pass. ;)

T. Lew didn't lock his guys down either.

:gary:

Dan Thompson
10/26/2010, 10:11 AM
On Stoop's Monday show, he said that three turnovers in the red zone and the missed field, basically cost OU the game.

Iam4OUru
10/26/2010, 10:14 AM
When OSU gets a defence i may but until then.....

That makes two defense-less teams. ;)

Intown
10/26/2010, 10:41 AM
Exposed by a team with enough talent and depth to beat them.

They were pulling off the 3rd and Jason White on us all night. Thank god they gave us a break and ran the ball a few times.

If we can figure out how to play defense against a better than mediocre offense (OSU) and not fall apart in the 4th, we should get a second shot at them. I'm not holding my breath.

cvsooner
10/26/2010, 12:10 PM
Obviously from Stoops' comments to media so far the staff is very aware of the issues. Getting them fixed is another story. You implement the fix and the then the guy who has to do it doesn't get it done....then what?

oumartin
10/26/2010, 03:09 PM
Obviously from Stoops' comments to media so far the staff is very aware of the issues. Getting them fixed is another story. You implement the fix and the then the guy who has to do it doesn't get it done....then what?

giving up third and forever has been an issue for a number of years now. Week coverage over the middle as well. Yeah, well if they are aware of the problem it won't get fixed. It hasn't been yet anyhow. Teams need to be more like Wilson. When its more than third and 3 just hand it off for a 1 yard gain. I like that statedgy more.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 04:30 PM
giving up third and forever has been an issue for a number of years now. Week coverage over the middle as well. Yeah, well if they are aware of the problem it won't get fixed. It hasn't been yet anyhow. Teams need to be more like Wilson. When its more than third and 3 just hand it off for a 1 yard gain. I like that statedgy more.

None of what you speak of is strategy. It's something they continue to have trouble with. It would be great to get recruits who can all turnout to be the 5 stars you thought they were but some of the folks around here continue to say it's more of a Coaching problem. The whorns and many other Teams in this Country continue to have better recruiting classes than OU and yet they all suffer from year to year sometimes. You're dealing with amateur athletes who are playing at one of the Premiere Football Programs in the Country yes...but thinking someone else has an easy fix for it doesn't pan out either most of the time. Bob isn't one to change his Coaching Staff up to much as he's had pretty good success doing it his way. Bob is around 80% successful and Switzer was around 83% successful playing in a much smaller Conference. Both great Coaches IMO and even Barry got **** all over from time to time and Bob gets it too. I know it comes with the Territory...yet Barry is a Sooner Legend. Bob won us a NC too and IMO is a Legend as well. You should really quit bagging on his decisions IMO and try to enjoy being a decent fan and poster instead of a trolling lump of poo. :D

Just my two cents.

Hoggjawzz
10/26/2010, 09:46 PM
For a team playing so much youth they are not doing that bad, I never thought this year would be our year anyway.. Next year we will be a power house and all the high expectations will be there waiting for this team again.. :pop:

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 09:50 PM
I don't buy the playing with youth excuse...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 09:54 PM
What is wrong with our defense?

our offense cant run time off the clock. We either score too fast or have three and outs. Really nothing in between.

Also, they were on the field for almost 13 minutes in the fourth quarter against Missouri.

Okay, now what is really wrong with our defense?

Youth...but that is all the way across the board.
16 freshmen in our 2 deep depth chart.
12 Sophomores in our 2 deep depth chart.
11 Juniors in our 2 deep depth chart.
10 Seniors in our two deep depth chart.

We have 5 or 6 freshmen starting. 2 or 3 on defense.

When you have a team this young, and no real leaders on either side of the ball, a team will be very inconsistent.

We are talented, and we are getting better. However, we need to learn how to play away from home if we want a chance to win a national championship.

This team is getting there, but I think we were just too overconfident since we were #1.

it was the first game all year, where our defense did not allow our offense to build a lead.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 09:55 PM
I don't buy the playing with youth excuse...

I do, because it can cause a lot of inconsistencies.

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:03 PM
I do, because it can cause a lot of inconsistencies.

Good for you, I am not buying it...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:08 PM
Want to fix the third and long and middle issues?

Well, I dont know exactly, I was more of an offensive guy, but here is what I would do. (Get the hell out of a 4-2-5 and go back to the 4-3 or even a 3-4)

1. On 3rd and long, if I was not blitzing, I would play a tight man-zone defense and rush just 3 or 4 guys.
I would play a 2 deep zone with the safeties, and an umbrella type zone with the rest. Meaning, I would have the corners covering middle depth from outside the hashes. I would have two linebackers covering the middle depth between the hashes. I would have one outside back (or Nickel Backer) playing the man to man on the best WR. I would not have any LBs responsible for WRs just backs and TEs.

2. If I was blitzing, I would send more than they can block. I would go man to man. and rush everyone that does not have a receiver to cover! I would play a medium to tight man. I would not play soft. I would take the inside out. I would make them go ourside, so they cannot slant so easy. Rush the four DL and at least 2 Linebackers.

3. Middle issues: I would play a one deep zone, or a robber type zone, where the free safety and the middle linebacker are playing in the middle. I would play a dime to do this if they are picking me apart. I would manto man their WRs and other eligible receivers. I would rush 4 and do stunts.

I may not be perfect on this...but I damn sure would attempt to do something, unlike BV did in Columbia. I would blitze or clog the damn middle with so many bodies, they would have to beat me on the outside to get the first down!

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:10 PM
I think we just average on D this year...look at our stats...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:11 PM
Good for you, I am not buying it...

Yeah, I can tell you aren't. But what would you buy? That our team is just flat out horrible?

Love ya man, but you are brutal when it comes to this team.

If we were more experienced, then I would probably agree with you, but it is a fact that we are the youngest team in the Big 12, and one of the youngest in the nation.

Youth does play a part...We ahve a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds going against 21-22 year olds. yeah, youth does play a part. I dont think it is the absolute reason though.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:12 PM
I think we just average on D this year...look at our stats...

And why are we just average? It damn sure isnt the talent we have.

Is it the coaching?
The personnel?
What?

Anyone can say we are just average, but why do you think that is?

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:13 PM
Must be the players...

TrophyCollector
10/26/2010, 10:20 PM
Youth is one thing. Being ranked behind all 3 service academies in total defense is something else.

For the record, the defense was amazing last year for the most part. A drop off, sure. Free fall was not expected.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:20 PM
Must be the players...

And why is it the players?

I mean, we have one injured senior at DT and one senior DE. The rest are what, sophomores or freshmen?

Linebacker. We have T. Lewis. He is doing good for the most part this, year. But we have an injured Junior or a Freshman playing the middle. We have a sophomore penciled in for the Sam backer.

Our CBs, we have first year Junior and a Freshman or a Sophomore starting here.

The safeties, we have two seniors, with Nelson being a first year starter. Carter got injuried slightly against Missouri.

It must be an experience issue other than player issue, because outside of Missouri and fourth quarters this year, this defense has been pretty damn good.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:23 PM
Youth is one thing. Being ranked behind all 3 service academies in total defense is something else.

For the record, the defense was amazing last year for the most part. A drop off, sure. Free fall was not expected.

Ever think the caliber of opponents may say something? I mean we did beat Air Force, even after giving a ton of rushing yards.

I am not saying our defense is stellar, we all know there are some issues. But they have helped us maintain leads (minus Missouri).

It was great last year, but we lost some damn good players to the draft from last years team.

The drop off was expected, and it is not free falling.

Some of you guys are just too critical.

We have issues. Is it coaching issues? Is it personnel issues? Is it attitude issues?

But the sky is not falling this year. Last year, after 7 games we were 4-3. We are 6-1 right now. The world is not coming to an end right now!

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:23 PM
Ok, lack thereof...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, lack thereof...

that could very well be....but could it be a coaching thing too?

I mean we saw no attempt by our coaching staff to put someone in the middle against Missouri. Even though they got some 66% of their yards in the middle of the field.

that is not a player issue. That is a coaching adjustment that was never made.

StoopTroup
10/26/2010, 10:28 PM
As long as 66% of those yards doesn't lead to the other 34% being in the EZ....

Nevermind.....lol

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:29 PM
As long as 66% of those yards doesn't lead to the other 34% being in the EZ....

Nevermind.....lol

LOL

TrophyCollector
10/26/2010, 10:34 PM
Ever think the caliber of opponents may say something?

Yes. Our D got to play the saxet offense which pads our stats quite a bit.;)

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:36 PM
Yes. Our D got to play the saxet offense which pads our stats quite a bit.;)

Yeah, and texas has probably the worst offense we faced...so yay we pointed out the lesser opponent.

I would love to have the schedule of Navy, Air Force, or Army.

We would have the best offense and the best defense given their schedules.:texan:

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:37 PM
that could very well be....but could it be a coaching thing too?

I mean we saw no attempt by our coaching staff to put someone in the middle against Missouri. Even though they got some 66% of their yards in the middle of the field.

that is not a player issue. That is a coaching adjustment that was never made.

These coaches have proved themselves before...players not...what is your best guess ???

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 10:42 PM
These coaches have proved themselves before...players not...what is your best guess ???

2005, experience issues caused us to lose 4 games.
2009, injuries caused us to lose 5 games.
2006, we won the big 12 with youth and a wr at QB. the talent did good for us, so did the coaches. It was probably Stoops greatest coaching job at OU.

We have lost one game this year, and have the possibility to win out, or even belly flop and lose at least 2 or 3 more games this year.

Why is that? I think it is the youth and the inexperience of the team. Not the coaching.

What will you be saying if this very defense comes out next season with all but 3 starters returning (maybe 4 if T. Lewis leaves early) and they dominate teams. They end up being a top 10 defense. What will you say? Coaching or Personnel?

Cornfed
10/26/2010, 10:44 PM
I would say surely a fluke !!!! ;)

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 10:45 PM
They are not really that young any more...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 11:00 PM
They are not really that young any more...

It was just the second real road game and the first real away game at the home stadium for all the youngsters.

So yes, they are still young. Up until Missouri, they have only played a half a season. Not quite ready to be said they have a year of experience on them.

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 11:11 PM
They played bad, I don't know-how else to break it to you...

Stealth
10/26/2010, 11:13 PM
Look who we recruited to play DT in 2006 and 2007. Guys from those classes should be starters. For whatever reason, the coaches totally whiffed those years. I think they would have recruited a JUCO last year, but they thought they would Taylor back as the anchor that could bring the young sophomore guys along to develop a good unit. When Taylor had his horrific injury in December, it was too late to get in on any of the decent JUCO tackles.

This is a recruiting issue that falls on the coaches

Add to Taylor's injury the injury to Walker, McGee's inability to add sufficient mass and McFarland's lack of development and you have major issues.

I think we may have gotten greedy in only pursuing the cat-quick big specimens (Harris, McCoy) when we could probably do well with a couple more big, strong (but not so quick) guys like Walker (who are a little easier to find).

Stealth
10/26/2010, 11:16 PM
Note: unless McGee, Walker and McFarland develop better over the summer, we may have similar issues next year as well. Unfortunately great DT are the rarest recruits and even the good ones usually require a year or two of development.

I really hope we have re-evaluated our recruiting strategy for the big guys (DT and OL)

Soonerus
10/26/2010, 11:29 PM
Note: unless McGee, Walker and McFarland develop better over the summer, we may have similar issues next year as well. Unfortunately great DT are the rarest recruits and even the good ones usually require a year or two of development.

I really hope we have re-evaluated our recruiting strategy for the big guys (DT and OL)

Bingo...

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 11:48 PM
They played bad, I don't know-how else to break it to you...

Is that what you call it? Damn I didn't realize that rus.:rolleyes:

Sometimes there is more to it than just, "they played bad."

I can see using that as an excuse for one game. But every fourth quarter we have seen a non-existent team.

We saw the same type of play from our team against Utah State and Cincy. We saw a complete game against Iowa State. So you cannot tell me it is the personnel alone.

However, from proof of the season even leading into the Missouri game, we could point out the youth and inexperience of our team on defense. In fact, almost everyone here was all saying something to the affect of, "damn these freshmen are good, but they do show being young sometimes." Or, "Damn these freshmen are amazing and getting better every game."

Now that we lost, the naysayers want to come out against those same players and say they are not really young anymore. That it is the personnel.

No one wants to mention that there were very little to no changes in adjustments made. No one wants to mention that our coaches stopped going with what was working on offense.

Yeah, the kids may have played bad, but the coaches didn't help much either. Hence the reason I think it has more to do with more than just the youth or their performance. It was the entire package that failed against Missouri.

OU_Sooners75
10/26/2010, 11:51 PM

Why, because we don't have a Tommy Harris or a Gerald McCoy or even a Kelly Gregg?

How many top notch freshmen have we gained and actually turned out great?

It isnt an evaluation, it is how the kid adjusts to the speed of the game. It is the type of attitude they have. Are they lazy? Are they willing to do what it takes to be the best? They are no longer the Big Dog on campus when they come in from high school.

How many 3 stars have we had that turned out to be better than the 4 and 5 stars?

Just because they were great in high school, does not mean they are going to be great in college.

Sooner Brewcrew
10/27/2010, 03:22 PM
I think #21 Wort is very undersized and doesn't shed blocks very well. Unfortunately, he is right in the middle of the Defense most of the time.

tulsaoilerfan
10/27/2010, 07:44 PM
I think #21 Wort is very undersized and doesn't shed blocks very well. Unfortunately, he is right in the middle of the Defense most of the time.

All the linebackers have trouble shedding blocks and that includes the one that gets all the love from the media and fans

Scott D
10/28/2010, 01:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that 2 years ago an inability to score a TD from inside the 5 yard line, and the inability to sustain any drives in the second half cost that OU team a NC, not the defense which seemed to be on the field for the entire second half of that game.